• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

These cross-gen discussions are admittedly weird to see if Nintendo's history is anything to go by. They've literally never had a real cross-gen period in any of their home consoles, let alone their handhelds where we were actually given original titles for a couple of months rather than downgraded versions from their next generation offerings. I don't see any reason for this to change, especially when considering the power jump we're dealing with.
They technically did have a cross gen period for Gameboy to Gameboy Colour:

The grey cartridge was an original black and white Gameboy game that could play in a Gameboy Colour through backward compatibility. The black cartridge was a cross-gen game that could display in black and white or colour. The clear cartridge was a Gameboy Colour exclusive.

For other handhelds, even without a formal cross-gen period, there have been releases on the outgoing system after release of the successor - see, e.g., Pokemon Black and White. Backward compatibility meant that they could also be played on the new system.

That doesn't mean that I'd necessarily expect a major cross-gen period for a late 2024 console release in the same way that I might have for a 2023 release. I've argued previously that they'll need big exclusives to show off the advantages of the new system and sell gamers on upgrading.

I'm just saying that it wouldn't be completely without precedent, and I could see it for some of the AA releases (and for Pokemon).

VR still seems immature to me and I think the market isn't ready, but that's a personal opinion.
If there is a gimmick it could be something completely new in my opinion, something that creates a difference between the Switch versions, something easily identifiable... the customer goes to the store and asks for the Switch that does XYZXYZ.

any WUST veterans in here?
/raises hand.
Was a lurker then.

I just remember when it all came crashing down. People held on to the idea of it being significantly more powerful than the 360 for a long time, even after launch.

I think the final nail was the power supply specs and the first die shots

Much delayed - but I realized afterward that I was a little grouchy writing some of these replies. Like I said, I've been in this hospital watching over my sister all week, and I have been a little tetchy. You write smart stuff Phenom08
Hope your sis is doing ok.

The grey cartridge was an original black and white Gameboy game that could play in a Gameboy Colour through backward compatibility. The black cartridge was a cross-gen game that could display in black and white or colour. The clear cartridge was a Gameboy Colour exclusive.

For other handhelds, even without a formal cross-gen period, there have been releases on the outgoing system after release of the successor - see, e.g., Pokemon Black and White. Backward compatibility meant that they could also be played on the new system.

That doesn't mean that I'd necessarily expect a major cross-gen period for a late 2024 console release in the same way that I might have for a 2023 release. I've argued previously that they'll need big exclusives to show off the advantages of the new system and sell gamers on upgrading.

I'm just saying that it wouldn't be completely without precedent, and I could see it for some of the AA releases (and for Pokemon).

To be fair the Gameboy Color isn't a separate console from the Gameboy, it's more like the pro version of the Gameboy with exclusive titles, like the DSi and the New 3DS.

I think the length of this supposed (yet very likely, imo) cross-gen period will depend on how many games Nintendo has left for the Switch, as well as how many Switch users they expect will migrate immediately and over time. Whether or not they've done this before is irrelevant, especially when you consider the times in which these systems released as well as whatever graphical capabilities and media formats they had. I.e. : It would have made more sense to expect cross-gen support between PS3 and PS4 than Wii and Wii U, if that makes sense.

I don't see how this last sentence tracks.
That was in response to "They will want to get people off the system."

I don't see how lowered support for your handheld console would drive you to buy a PS5.

If you already own a PS5/Xbox Series console, then the only reason to play Switch is because it's a handheld or for Nintendo IPs. Those other consoles can't replace those two uses.
If you stop playing your Switch for 2 years, you will replace your gaming time with something else. PS, XB, Mobile, Laptop, the emerging PC Handheld or even other hobbies. And not everyone will look back. Just because they prefer Nintendo IPs Today doesn't means they can't find a new favorite. Just because people like Switch portability/flexibility it doesn't means that a good part of the user base couldn't change to mostly home console + mobile if they chose to. Just because PS/XB have better looking games, it doesn't make Switch an inviable as a home console with a great library.

Will games that look look like they're basically very pretty 360 era titles continue to sell as well in 2030 as Mario Kart 8 is selling now?
Yes, great games will continue to sell. PS5 generation started almost 3 year ago, and Nintendo is still the top console publisher with just "360 era" graphics games in 2023. Even in hardcore forums, people still think those games look great and are mostly just complaining on the resolution/fps side. Even on the PS/XB side which heavily targets graphic enthusiasts you're not seeing crossgen games sales being punished at all for being prettier PS4 games. Not mention that they can just aim at close to PS4 games and do "impossible" ports of it if "360 era" prettier isn't enough.

And if Nintendo places new control gimmicks into the NG, can Nintendo sell that new tech with cross-gen?
As I said, new experiences is a big priority to Nintendo and they will make NG exclusive games when it makes sense. But there's no way they will find a gimmick which will enhance all their IPs by making the games around said gimmick.

To be fair the Gameboy Color isn't a separate console from the Gameboy, it's more like the pro version of the Gameboy with exclusive titles, like the DSi and the New 3DS.
I feel like the distinction between a separate console or a pro version can be a bit semantic sometimes. The GBC had exclusive Zeldas (the Oracles games), which is a step beyond what DSi or New 3DS had. I'd treat it as its own generation, but I get that reasonablr minds can differ on that.

That said, I feel like the GBC transition would be a more applicable parallel if the Switch 2 had released six months ago, versus if it releases more than a year from now.

I just thought it was interesting as a past example of a transition from cross-compatible titles to exclusives.

havent been on for days and decided to play catch up, so let me get this straight, the main reason we have nothing new to talk about in these forums is because that no good Nintendo Prime effing things up again, so glad i blocked that guys youtube last fall?

I'd treat it as its own generation, but I get that reasonablr minds can differ on that.
@Dimensio may be going by Nintendo’s own designation which doesn’t treat Game Boy Color as a separate generation. I believe Nintendo combines console and game sales for both.

I get what you mean. Per some cursory googling, Game Boy Color had 917 releases which is an outlier for a mere enhanced hardware version. And personally, I separate Game Boy and Game Boy Color on my cataloging spreadsheet and the way my games are organized.

My ideal switch 2 would be a similar product to the Pimax Portal. The Portal, although a bit of a flop, in concept is a great evolution of the Nintendo switch. What would you do after making a console centered around a transforming gimmick? Give it a new way to transform. Sliding a switch tablet into a VR headset and using the joycons, which already are marketed as motion controllers, could be a great novelty. Even if VR isn't a major part of the system, it could be sold on the side in a similar fashion to the LABO vr kit.

My ideal switch 2 would be a similar product to the Pimax Portal. The Portal, although a bit of a flop, in concept is a great evolution of the Nintendo switch. What would you do after making a console centered around a transforming gimmick? Give it a new way to transform. Sliding a switch tablet into a VR headset and using the joycons, which already are marketed as motion controllers, could be a great novelty. Even if VR isn't a major part of the system, it could be sold on the side in a similar fashion to the LABO vr kit.
Now that Drake is allegedly bigger, being a vr headset is more off the table

@Dimensio may be going by Nintendo’s own designation which doesn’t treat Game Boy Color as a separate generation. I believe Nintendo combines console and game sales for both.

I get what you mean. Per some cursory googling, Game Boy Color had 917 releases which is an outlier for a mere enhanced hardware version. And personally, I separate Game Boy and Game Boy Color on my cataloging spreadsheet and the way my games are organized.
The difficulty with grafting the GameBoy/GameBoyColor story to anything contemporary is it was a very unique situation. GameBoy and most gaming handhelds had kind of petered out by the mid 90s, they were 6-7 years old already by then and releases had thinned out, but GameBoy got a second with with Pokemon and GameBoyColor launched around the same time, so it was the default choice for a lot of kids getting into Pokemon.

Yeah, talk of Nintendo "not doing cross gen" is... Like. Wrong? They've pretty much always done it on handhelds where compatibility allows. Even Switch got simultaneous releases of 3DS games. Some DS games were 3DS enhanced. Some GBA games were DS enhanced. Some GBC games were GBA enhanced. Some GB games were GBC enhanced.

Every. Single. One. Had a cross gen period of games on the previous system that worked or were enhanced by the new hardware. And every time there's been an enhancement of any kind across a generational divide with backwards compatibility? It's been SINGLE SKU.

With the SOLE exception of Red and Blue Rescue team (but that was because it was Pokémon, and the GBA game was technically DS enhanced by plugging both into the one system.)

It has literally always been here, why would they stop now when it's easier than ever thanks to digital distribution?

Single SKU, next gen enhanced games, cross gen games you might call them, these are not new for Nintendo. They have always been the STATUS QUO.

A smooth transition has, simply put, always been in Nintendo's best interests. And still is.

Last edited:
This is going to be a week of great anticipation for the next week and the week after that and the week that precedes the week following that which will succeed the week leading into the other week

When you remove the last 6 letters of leading and the first letter of week you get leek. Which is basically why we’re all here. That is all.

These cross-gen discussions are admittedly weird to see if Nintendo's history is anything to go by. They've literally never had a real cross-gen period in any of their home consoles, let alone their handhelds where we were actually given original titles for a couple of months rather than downgraded versions from their next generation offerings. I don't see any reason for this to change, especially when considering the power jump we're dealing with.

I think historically it made more sense for Nintendo to go the route they did because the generational leaps were much more drastic.

Game Boy to GBA? Huge leap
SNES to N64? Huge leap
N64 to GCN? Big leap
GBA to DS? Huge leap
Wii to Wii U? Big leap
DS to 3DS? Decent leap

Nowadays? The leaps are less and less, evidenced by the jumps from PS2 to PS3 vs. PS3 to PS4 for example. It’s a little unfair to compare the leaps from Wii U to Switch for obvious reasons, though if you use 3DS to Switch, then naturally it’s a big leap.

But Switch to Switch 2? It’s not going to be this massive step forward. And I think as a result of that, it allows more scalability between the two platforms, and thus makes more of a case for cross-gen.

For example, I see Metroid Prime 4 being a cross gen title, and on Switch 1, will look similar to Prime remastered. For Switch 2, I could see DLSS being utilized for an up to 4K output docked, plus the use of fully dynamic shadows/lighting/reflections via Ray tracing vs. what we saw on Prime remastered with most things baked in, and/or static.

For enthusiasts, it’ll be that leap that gets them to buy a Switch 2 early on while everyone else can at least enjoy playing it.

I feel these days, the argument for making games purely exclusive to “show” off the capabilities becomes less and less important. And that’s purely down to the diminishing returns.

That said, DLSS + Ray Tracing would be that “leap” we’ve been wanting, but ultimately it’s a new form of window dressing to make the game look prettier rather than the usual pastime of increasing polygon counts, or sharper textures.

Cross-gen absolutely will be used for Nintendo’s next system, and it would benefit gamers as a whole.

I think historically it made more sense for Nintendo to go the route they did because the generational leaps were much more drastic.

Game Boy to GBA? Huge leap
SNES to N64? Huge leap
N64 to GCN? Big leap
GBA to DS? Huge leap
Wii to Wii U? Big leap
DS to 3DS? Decent leap

Nowadays? The leaps are less and less, evidenced by the jumps from PS2 to PS3 vs. PS3 to PS4 for example. It’s a little unfair to compare the leaps from Wii U to Switch for obvious reasons, though if you use 3DS to Switch, then naturally it’s a big leap.

But Switch to Switch 2? It’s not going to be this massive step forward. And I think as a result of that, it allows more scalability between the two platforms, and thus makes more of a case for cross-gen.

For example, I see Metroid Prime 4 being a cross gen title, and on Switch 1, will look similar to Prime remastered. For Switch 2, I could see DLSS being utilized for an up to 4K output docked, plus the use of fully dynamic shadows/lighting/reflections via Ray tracing vs. what we saw on Prime remastered with most things baked in, and/or static.

For enthusiasts, it’ll be that leap that gets them to buy a Switch 2 early on while everyone else can at least enjoy playing it.

I feel these days, the argument for making games purely exclusive to “show” off the capabilities becomes less and less important. And that’s purely down to the diminishing returns.

That said, DLSS + Ray Tracing would be that “leap” we’ve been wanting, but ultimately it’s a new form of window dressing to make the game look prettier rather than the usual pastime of increasing polygon counts, or sharper textures.

Cross-gen absolutely will be used for Nintendo’s next system, and it would benefit gamers as a whole.
Switch 2 is absolutely going to be a huge step up forward, admittedly the biggest we'll ever see from a console for a long time. The 6x figures that have been mentioned are strictly going by teraflops, not including the architectural efficiencies and the myriad of hardware features Switch 2 will bring to the table. It's not gonna be just for "enthusiasts", that's like saying nobody noticed the jump from PS3 from PS4.

You brought up Wii to Wii U and DS to 3DS. This one is easily as big as those two in practice, even if you're somehow satisfied with the asset quality in Nintendo games already. I personally have no reason to believe cross gen will be a thing past backwards compatibility like it's always been, though I guess you can consider it as such.

Last edited:

7we2qi.jpg

any WUST veterans in here?
Yuupp. What a rough end result that was lol. Although it was lessened by the fact that I got my first job out of college a few months before it launched, so I had no problems buying it at launch to play Mario.

I don’t believe the Redactrake is going to be able to put 4K + Ray Tracing 60 FPS (I mean, Metroid Prime & Retro Studios = 60 FPS) docked. DLSS can only do so much, especially if it is DLSS 2.x.

1440p, at the very least, but full 2160p + Ray Tracing at 60 FPS ? Nah.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong but I can’t imagine how this small console will heat. The Steam Deck can be a very high temp system just by playing games in 800p in « Portable » mode.

Nintendo dont need cross gen titles.

Nintendo games have long enough legs to expect a game released on a new system to end up having huge numbers.
Well, why not make all of this year's games exclusive to the next machine instead? The answer to that will still apply to a lesser extent for the next several years.
I had missed this statement.
If it's not DLSS for the first time on console I wonder what is 🤔
DLSS is great, but it's no more a "hook" for a system than "faster processor" is.
They've never really had a system transition where it's feasible in the modern sense. They have often released games for the previous gen system, and they have often rereleased games from one system on its successor. Now those things can just be done in a better way that has greater benefits for consumers and publishers.

I don’t believe the Redactrake is going to be able to put 4K + Ray Tracing 60 FPS (I mean, Metroid Prime & Retro Studios = 60 FPS) docked. DLSS can only do so much, especially if it is DLSS 2.x.

It’s definitely possible but it might not be worth it. Certainly it seems possible to do with Fortnite, which does RT 1200p60 on series S. I just think that RT noise and DLSS ultra perf are likely to produce a less satisfying image than a higher internal res and a smaller upscale

DLSS isn't a sellable hook because lower than native resolution rendering has been a thing forever

Neither is 8k because there's no affordable 8k display nor games running at that resolution, but it's still in the PS5 box as a highlight, to sell to those interested.

Switch 2 is absolutely going to be a huge step up forward, admittedly the biggest we'll ever see from a console for a long time. The 6x figures that have been mentioned are strictly going by teraflops, not including the architectural efficiencies and the myriad of hardware features Switch 2 will bring to the table. It's not gonna be just for "enthusiasts", that's like saying nobody noticed the jump from PS3 from PS4.

You brought up Wii to Wii U and DS to 3DS. This one is easily as big as those two in practice, even if you're somehow satisfied with the asset quality in Nintendo games already. I personally have no reason to believe cross gen will be a thing past backwards compatibility like it's always been, though I guess you can consider it as such.
even if Switch sucessor have a massive leap, this will not result in a massive increase in assest details, since most of Nintendo franchises follow a cartoony art style, will a massive leap be felt on a Mario/Legend of Zelda game? no it will not, only more stable 30/60fps will be felt, no OMG, look how good the water textures is on the next 3D Mario/Legend of Zelda

Neither is 8k because there's no affordable 8k display nor games running at that resolution, but it's still in the PS5 box as a highlight, to sell to those interested.
then they'll just label it 4K. same as all these "4K" games on PS5 and Series X. you don't explain how the food is made, just present it to them

It’s definitely possible but it might not be worth it. Certainly it seems possible to do with Fortnite, which does RT 1200p60 on series S. I just think that RT noise and DLSS ultra perf are likely to produce a less satisfying image than a higher internal res and a smaller upscale
slight correction but Fortnite on SS tops out at 1080p

Series S is understandably lower-res, with an internal resolution of 540p to 1080p, averaging 73 percent of 1080p

Is doing two separate upscales, one a "dumb upscale" from 2.5K to 4K or whatever, really going to result in a better IQ than just using DLSS ultra performance?

One thing we definetly need back in the next system is the chad Wii U Pro Controller's battery life.

80 hours was insane.

I had to charge that king maybe 3 times a year tops.

even if Switch sucessor have a massive leap, this will not result in a massive increase in assest details, since most of Nintendo franchises follow a cartoony art style, will a massive leap be felt on a Mario/Legend of Zelda game? no it will not, only more stable 30/60fps will be felt, no OMG, look how good the water textures is on the next 3D Mario/Legend of Zelda
We are definitely going to notice... After all, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was unironically one of the first games to sell the PS5 as a generational jump.

I was about to argue against DLSS as a marketable hook outside of tech enthusiasts, but considering that Sega got away with blast processing back in the 90s and most people still don't know what that even meant, there's probably a way to make DLSS sound really cool and marketable. Especially since Switch NG games will actually use DLSS.

I was about to argue against DLSS as a marketable hook outside of tech enthusiasts, but considering that Sega got away with blast processing back in the 90s and most people still don't know what that even meant, there's probably a way to make DLSS sound really cool and marketable. Especially since Switch NG will actually use DLSS.
"DLSS" isnt the term going on the box and in the commercials,
"Nintendo games in 4K" will be. How it's acheived is beyond the scope of people caring, but you tell them they can play Mrio in 4K, that's all they need to know

Disagree. Both Pikmin 4 and Metroid Prime Remastered show that they can definitely push for asset detail if they really wanted to.

I personally don't think Nintendo will play up the power angle much at all. For example, I don't think "Mario Kart in 4K" is what will make a successful campaign to market Switch 2 or the next Mario Kart game. I expect Nintendo will mention that the console goes up to 4K as one distinguishing factor from Switch, but I figure it'll be a subheader or embedded in a sentence in most marketing materials while the headline will be something we currently don't know.

If the major difference between Switch and Switch 2's hardware is performance and there isn't something unique at the system level that distinguishes them, then I think Nintendo will really have to have some killer exclusive games lined up to get some significant traction outside of the hardcore who aren't already getting their graphics fixes from the more capable PS5, XSX, and gaming PCs. I'm imagining Nintendo's goal is to have another console that sells 100M+, and I think they'd need that irresistible software to hook the families saying "we already have a Nintendo with Mario at home."

However, maybe I'm misreading the average Switch consumer. People upgrade their phones every few years. Perhaps there are a large number of people out there who would want the new one because it exists and their current Switch is old.

Is doing two separate upscales, one a "dumb upscale" from 2.5K to 4K or whatever, really going to result in a better IQ than just using DLSS ultra performance?
By two upscale, do you mean from 480p to 1440p and then a scale from 1440p to 2160p? The answer would be yes, because you're still sampling from a higher quality source and are trying to fill in less pixels

Well, why not make all of this year's games exclusive to the next machine instead? The answer to that will still apply to a lesser extent for the next several years.

DLSS is great, but it's no more a "hook" for a system than "faster processor" is.

They've never really had a system transition where it's feasible in the modern sense. They have often released games for the previous gen system, and they have often rereleased games from one system on its successor. Now those things can just be done in a better way that has greater benefits for consumers and publishers.
The only hook with DLSS is the impossible port marketing angle, which they have been using on the Switch. But i tend to see that more as a micro targeted consumer level messaging that's under the surface of the big in your face ads, and messaging most people will see.

That said, I think it will help them get the right mix of games to make the device not feel out of place. I think Nintendo learned the lesson that more than specs, having their device othered by the gaming media/press in a negative way (often as a direct result of Nintendo's own attempts to differentiate) was damaging to getting the right kind of audience.

My concern is that I don't know if the right people are in charge to remember and repeat what they did with the Switch. Because this can go sideways real quick if they forget the lessons.

I personally don't think Nintendo will play up the power angle much at all. For example, I don't think "Mario Kart in 4K" is what will make a successful campaign to market Switch 2 or the next Mario Kart game. I expect Nintendo will mention that the console goes up to 4K as one distinguishing factor from Switch, but I figure it'll be a subheader or embedded in a sentence in most marketing materials while the headline will be something we currently don't know.

If the major difference between Switch and Switch 2's hardware is performance and there isn't something unique at the system level that distinguishes them, then I think Nintendo will really have to have some killer exclusive games lined up to get some significant traction outside of the hardcore who aren't already getting their graphics fixes from the more capable PS5, XSX, and gaming PCs. I'm imagining Nintendo's goal is to have another console that sells 100M+, and I think they'd need that irresistible software to hook the families saying "we already have a Nintendo with Mario at home."

However, maybe I'm misreading the average Switch consumer. People upgrade their phones every few years. Perhaps there are a large number of people out there who would want the new one because it exists and their current Switch is old.
Switch 2 is going to sell regardless, no matter the marketing narrative they'd want to push. However, Nintendo is definitely gearing up to blow people away in the graphics department more than anything else, they wouldn't go for such a big customized chip otherwise. With the ideal conditions and the ideal budget, the next 3D Mario should make Odyssey seem like it released more than a decade ago, same goes for Mario Kart and all the other exclusives they have planned for it. I don't think it'll be the sole gimmick, but they could totally sell this thing with raw power just fine, the games will be on another level even to the most casual of eyes.

Disagree. Both Pikmin 4 and Metroid Prime Remastered show that they can definitely push for asset detail if they really wanted to.
Agree, and as much as I love both Switch Zelda games there is a shit ton they can do in terms of pushing a more dense open world at scale. I wouldn’t count the Zelda team at all for this.

Ah, something's bouncing around in my head and I must type it down.

So, sometimes we mention, 'Hey, there'll be some PS5-generation games that can be theoretically cut down in assorted ways to get ported to the NG". Usually it's in these general terms; no particular games or examples of modifications. So I figure, occasionally during downtimes, it'd be interesting to shoot the breeze about specific games.

Granted, it's probably too early for this, so this really falls under the category of "File it away, and pull it back out during later downtime in the thread", but the talk of the town right is Baldur's Gate 3. It would be neat to eventually get a NG port, wouldn't it? Not like Larian's ideologically opposed since there's Divinity: Original Sin II. (also, no, I'm not playing it; my PC's not up to snuff. Nor do I have a PS5. My interest in a theoretical NG port is therefore at least partially selfish :p)
For those who missed it, I did write up a kneejerk reaction to benchmarks/performance review.
And towards the end, I shoehorned in this:
...uh, oh, yea, maybe I should try to this to Nintendo somehow? Um, so guys, what's probably necessary to do if we want a port of Baldur's Gate 3 on the NG? Slash as much unnecessary AI running concurrently as possible?

My question to the thread, particularly those playing through the game right now (some of you are, right!?):
Let's say the decision gets made to try to port it to the NG. What kind of changes/cuts do you think would be necessary to make it possible? What sort of tricks do you have in mind?

And if we can't get much going just yet, this can always be revisited in a month or two as long as BG 3 is still hot stuff :p
(at least it adds something to the list of reoccurring conversation topics!)

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom