• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

It's only really an issue because you're locked into it until you finish it, and if you've been carried by emblems and not promoting your units chapter 11 hits you like a truck. The other qol improvement of restart and keep exp does help that issue though.
Chapter 11 would definitely serve as a wake-up call to anyone that had just been riding on the Emblems, and between that and also taking away the time crystal for the first half or so of the chapter, it really asks if you've been paying attention or just trying to coast by.

I recall pre-release people wondered why the Emblems were so OP, but they're not really OP when the maps are tuned as they are. Chapter 11 flat-out says you can't just Emblem your way out of any jam.

I'm about 65-70 hours in on maddening with about 3 chapters to go and all paralogues cleared. Cleared a grand total of 3 skirmishes and have a 4th one sitting on the map, but it's fog of war and not worth the aggravation (and the recommended level is way higher than the story missions, lol).

Every move has to be very deliberate and I'd say probably about 25-30 minutes in the somniel between each battle? Including time for the supports to play out, listening to the whole voice track most times.
I think the voice track is what makes me go through a lot faster, to be honest. I don't listen to it (I usually play on mute or low volume because there are other people in the room) and I can read a hell of a lot faster than the voice actors talk. I also have the animations for enemy units turned off.

yooo fellow Somnieliens, is anyone here doing Relay Trials?

me and a friend are looking for people to help our trials along since the "random" feature is officially broken so bad that Nintendo even tweeted about it (almost two weeks ago...).

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

the 2nd one is one we found on reddit and just I just wanted to see what it was like so I went in way underleveled for the map but still did some damage, so don't feel put off by what the map/difficulty is, the host's characters will do the rest).

join in and share in the spoils of battle with us!
Done both of them!

Could any of you help out with mine?
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

yooo fellow Somnieliens, is anyone here doing Relay Trials?

me and a friend are looking for people to help our trials along since the "random" feature is officially broken so bad that Nintendo even tweeted about it (almost two weeks ago...).

the 2nd one is one we found on reddit and just I just wanted to see what it was like so I went in way underleveled for the map but still did some damage, so don't feel put off by what the map/difficulty is, the host's characters will do the rest).

join in and share in the spoils of battle with us!
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

yooo that was quick, one map down! thank you and congrats on the shared spoils, whoever you are Rohan and Brandon! :D

xTq2kwG.jpg

rYZZg18.jpg

Done both of them!

Could any of you help out with mine?
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
oh it's you! :D

what map/difficulty is yours?
edit: ah, Mountain Peak (Normal). nice! I'll hop on that!
edit2: did my best, left Alcryst in a bit of a pickle but nothing the next person can't get out of :)

man, this relay trial thing is really cool IF you get people to help out. hopefully they fix the "random" lookup quickly so it gets a little easier

Last edited:
Decided to get some more supports conversations and the Hortensia / Anna one "This army’s too pretty. It’s not right." = Every time someone compalins about any game that has anime aesthetics lol

Regarding time looking at my file also found weird the time. It tells me I had 50 hours, but checking the chapter and paralogues times it took me around 20 hours and I really didn't spent too much time in the somniel or in scavengers battles, and speed through a lot of conversations, so I don't think that adds other 30 hours.

So what are the rewards for Byleth‘a chapter? I got a Tailsman but I really didn’t care to about the crystals since it was maddening and doubt I can do as good as I did.

You know what I miss about recent Fire Emblem games?

Triggering side-chapters or secret chapters.

It’s one of the things I really liked about Blazing Blade. Adds to the plot or a mystery you’re not aware off. Hector Hard mode one particular hard to get chapter that was pretty interesting. Also I miss characters like Renault. He’s in the game very very little yet probably more memorable than most.

I also missed using master seals in maps. Felt pretty cool to be able to just promote in the spot. But no big deal on that

Put in some fun work on this one! Two Byleths and a Dancer is unbelievably fun
sick work you two (cc @Xorhan )!

Relay Trials might be the secret coolest thing about this one, picking up where someone left off or also playing with early game units in a later game squad and environment is so fun/intense lol. if only the filtering/search aspect worked better (or at all).

Oh, I thought that just made you able to warp them 5 further squares away. Wonder why I couldn't get it to warp 5 people last night, then...
Oh maybe I'm wrong then? I haven't actually tested it yet. But she definitely lets you heal non-adjacent units for example. Did you have her engaged?

If you use Rewarp while engaged with Micaiah the staff user has to be in the middle warp the pack, including themselves, this lets you move much further if you bring a dancer along though. Regular Warp should let you move 5 units with Micaiah active.

wait, you can warp more than one person at a time?!

and here I thought I had some cool strategies!

I think the voice track is what makes me go through a lot faster, to be honest. I don't listen to it (I usually play on mute or low volume because there are other people in the room) and I can read a hell of a lot faster than the voice actors talk. I also have the animations for enemy units turned off.

For me, it's kind of the opposite. If I cared about the characters, I'd spend time paying attention and reading it. Since I don't give more than the smallest of damns about them, I half heartedly listen to them while messing around on my phone and rewind the conversation if something actually interesting happens.

I turned all the animations off in like, chapter 2.

Now Rewarp I haven't tested

But Warp, when I was engaged last night, could only be activated on adjacent squares
Oh you're right actually, the warper would occupy one space.
What about with Hortensia? She can use staves on nonadjacent units. Would that let you warp five?

(Also if you warp an adjacent unit with +1 range... do you get warped yourself too? 🤔 I'm guessing not)

What about with Hortensia? She can use staves on nonadjacent units. Would that let you warp five?

(Also if you warp an adjacent unit with +1 range... do you get warped yourself too? 🤔 I'm guessing not)
Hortensia's personal only affects healing staves iirc, so it wouldn't count for warp shenanigans.

Curious to see how long it's taking people to finish this one. I just finished Chapter 20 and I'm at about 24 hours. I'm pretty much only doing the chapters and all of the paralogues - haven't seen any reason to do skirmishes since I'm not really feeling underleveled - if anything I'm overleveled. I spend maybe 10 minutes in Somniel in between each battle.

I'm not complaining at all, but I'm curious as to how people are getting 50+ hours out of this unless you're maybe playing on Maddening or something. I should be able to get a solid 35-40 hours in this before I'm done, which is honestly a great time for a RPG - not everything needs to be 90 hours.
Holy shit you are blazing. I’m slow, granted, and I haven’t skipped anything, done a fair few skirmishes, and have spent quite a lot of time in the Somniel, but I just beat Chapter 20 and I’m at 70 hours (Classic Hard)

Chapter 11 would definitely serve as a wake-up call to anyone that had just been riding on the Emblems, and between that and also taking away the time crystal for the first half or so of the chapter, it really asks if you've been paying attention or just trying to coast by.

I recall pre-release people wondered why the Emblems were so OP, but they're not really OP when the maps are tuned as they are. Chapter 11 flat-out says you can't just Emblem your way out of any jam.

This is completely wrong though, because with the power of Edelgard, I in fact DID Emblem my way out of that jam

DLC didnt ruin the story for me headcanon wise. The bracelets pulled some Awakening shenangings and entered the world to stop any possibility of a dark timeline from happening. If the DLC activated shortly after Chapter 11 my headcannon would flow.

Hortensia's personal only affects healing staves iirc, so it wouldn't count for warp shenanigans.
It does work for warp, but it just increases the amount of tiles you can over, not the spread.
So is what I said right? If you combine Hortensia with Micaiah then you can warp a group of five by selecting a unit that is not adjacent to you? Maybe I should just test it tonight lol

Cleared that infamous Chapter 11 yesterday. Yeah ... the chapter alone is definitely a challenge on Hard or Maddening, but after i got two crit hits from an enemy carrying a Killer Axe against my Chloe (as Griffon Rider), standing on (or above) a forest tile, i can't imagine that this is any fun on anything above Normal.

Enemy had like 13% hit chance and crit two times in a row with that accuracy.

RNG is crazy here. Almost XCOM levels of fucking with you.
It’s not fun on normal either lol. That chapter is the sole reason I’m never playing this game on classic mode.

So is what I said right? If you combine Hortensia with Micaiah then you can warp a group of five by selecting a unit that is not adjacent to you? Maybe I should just test it tonight lol
Warp does requires you to be next to the units. You get the bonus extra range to where to teleport them though (so thats 10 spaces instead of 5). Here's a video (in spoilers as it has end game units). Still being able to transport 8 units is very good

I didn't find Chapter 11 all that hard tbh, and I'm playing on Hard/Classic. Chapter 16 was the chapter I had a lot of trouble with actually. Trying to rush to kill the thief before he could get to the house in the top left corner with a bunch of strong, bulky enemies in the way was no easy task lol. And then I had Framme, Clanne, and Fogato chilling on the bottom of the map trying to bait Mavier and kill him, which was also pretty annoying and made me regret bringing only three units down there, despite how busted my Clanne is lol.

I beat fe engage 2 days ago and I'm still trying to collect my thoughts (I also started a maddening playthrough because I like fun) but right now I think it will probably rank in my top 5/6 fire emblem games and much closer too threehouses than what I thought.
Of course the biggest strenght of the game is it's gameplay with insane options and a lot of diverse and interesting maps, but I want to highlight how good it's story gameplay interaction is. The story in itself is nothing that crazy or special but I think it works because it's best interest is to put the characters and the player in more and more interesting and intense scenario; the most famous example being chapter 11 and chapter 17 but I think all of the lategame is well paced and interesting even if a bit cliche. The story actually picks near the end and especially the second to last chapter is one of the best chapter the series ever had, incredible music, look and gameplay that perfectly complements the story.
I think it's biggest problem are the characters in itself who are a bit too one note and cringy in both design and personality which will probably put some people off, the story has a few dumb moments too and it kind of loses it's tension in the mid game and like I said it's nothing special and full of cliches.
I think threehouses had much better characters and amazing dialogues and supports which is something that engage mostly lacks but at the same time it had a mostly static story that didn't complement the gameplay most of the time probably because they wanted to tell a 4 way story (like how the gronder field battle 2 makes sense in the golden deer story but zero sense in the blue lion one while being off screen in the silver snow route).
I do think Engage is the right path for the series and if they can put what they did with Engage in a more interesting story and better written characters we might get the best game in the series, the problem being that creating a story with a focus on putting the player in cool new maps while still being a good story that makes sense it's not the easiest thing.
Also Alear is best boy, can't wait to play him in the next smash

Warp does requires you to be next to the units. You get the bonus extra range to where to teleport them though (so thats 10 spaces instead of 5). Here's a video (in spoilers as it has end game units). Still being able to transport 8 units is very good

I can't watch the video because of the end game units but I specifically mentioned Hortensia because she lets you target nonadjacent units with staves. And apparently that includes warp too?

EDIT: I can't play tonight but I checked the wiki and her skill is only on healing staves after all. There was just a lot of really unclear back and forth here lol

I can't watch the video because of the end game units but I specifically mentioned Hortensia because she lets you target nonadjacent units with staves. And apparently that includes warp too?
It doesn't include warp, you can only choose an adjacent unit to hortensia and she warps the unit plus the ones adjacent to that unit.

EDIT: I can't play tonight but I checked the wiki and her skill is only on healing staves after all. There was just a lot of really unclear back and forth here lol
yeah it's only healing staves, warp only work with units adjacents to you

Curious to see how long it's taking people to finish this one. I just finished Chapter 20 and I'm at about 24 hours. I'm pretty much only doing the chapters and all of the paralogues - haven't seen any reason to do skirmishes since I'm not really feeling underleveled - if anything I'm overleveled. I spend maybe 10 minutes in Somniel in between each battle.

I'm not complaining at all, but I'm curious as to how people are getting 50+ hours out of this unless you're maybe playing on Maddening or something. I should be able to get a solid 35-40 hours in this before I'm done, which is honestly a great time for a RPG - not everything needs to be 90 hours.
I am at about 35 hours and I only just finished chapter 14 lol I am so side tracked by skirmishes lol I am trying to get all the children to level 10 and am failing horribly lol I almost game overed twice in one skrimish. The story chapters are a straightforward challenge that goes smoothly. Skirmishes seem to be way harder and all at once (not all the time but a good chunk of time). I also spend quite some time in Somniel after most battles which include skirmishes. If I actually focused on story, it would likely go a lot faster, but I am easily distracted. I also want to try and get all the rare animals after skirmishes and they don't spawn for me lol

I finished my first run in hard mode at 71 hours, did all the paralogues and like 2 or 3 skirmishes. I didn't even do the minigames in somniel.

I didn't find Chapter 11 all that hard tbh, and I'm playing on Hard/Classic. Chapter 16 was the chapter I had a lot of trouble with actually. Trying to rush to kill the thief before he could get to the house in the top left corner with a bunch of strong, bulky enemies in the way was no easy task lol. And then I had Framme, Clanne, and Fogato chilling on the bottom of the map trying to bait Mavier and kill him, which was also pretty annoying and made me regret bringing only three units down there, despite how busted my Clanne is lol.
Do you not use any flying units or your dancer? Thief didn't even get out of the middle of the map before he died when I played 16.

Do you not use any flying units or your dancer? Thief didn't even get out of the middle of the map before he died when I played 16.
I was just playing a bit too slowly I think, so the thief was already too far ahead when he first showed up. I did manage to use Chloe to fly over and kill him on the last turn before he would've reached the house, though. A similar thing happened in Chapter 14 with the chests on the right side of the map, actually. I used my (busted) Mage Knight Clanne to book it to the top of the map and killed the thief with my trusty Levin Sword right before he was able to leave with the stolen goods lol.

"During his next turn, Sombron will forcibly unengage all units."

Thank you. I cannot stress enough how much that helps me. I can now use my turn to recharge my Engage Meters and get another use of Byleth's dance. Like seriously, this is horrible for you, Sombron.

Last edited:
Wish there was a good way to farm money in the postgame. It's probably coming in the DLC, but in the meantime I've painstakingly trained up my unused Anna for her gold passive.

Stacking Tiki and Byleth Luck buffs with High Priest.

Finished two more paralogues, only a couple left now I think. Leif’s was fun but requires a lot of prep, and it was great deleting six mage knights with one Sigurd dash.

I just recently swapped Lyn over to Rosado and hooooo boy is he strong with her. I guess alacrity is great with pretty much any character that can proc it, but it feels really good on a flying unit. Plus with his Aerial Bombard skill it’s not too tough to get a couple kills for speed taker to get rolling and make it so alacrity is always active.

Chapter 18's story beats had me going "Hmmmmmmm?!"

Early notions I've had about the plot appear to be playing out, but a lot remains to be seen.

Played chapter 17, and started playing some more paralogues.

Byleth chapter as swt.

Marianne sword got me downguard. I needed to change 2 turns of tatics to end as quick as possible.

Note to myself: When you're doing skirmishes to level up some characters, don't bring Alear and let them tank some hits, which end up as level-ups for them and thus making further skirmishes more difficult for low level chars.

Back
Top Bottom