• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

Finished the main game. I personally loved the gameplay so much. The engage mechanism is the best thing that happened to Fire Emblem as it creates so much interesting strategies and options. The healer class now having additional utility like hand to hand combat and defensive capabilities is also great. Overall I only find the story to be bland and forgettable but the cast is good (and thanks to the engage mechanic there are so many costumes for each of them). I found the game to be quite easy but I did not touch maddening yet.

Chapter 4 of the Xenologue was a breath of fresh air. I missed maps like that. The amount of nonsense you can get up to is so amusing.

Last edited:
Well I beat the DLC... it started out strong, but had some problems as it went. The new cannon class is really irritating to fight and makes every single map longer. I don't like Nel and her confession to me had me 🙄 Also the balancing between Normal and Hard was not great - Normal was an actual cake walk while Hard was really difficult.

For the positives, the setting and alternative royals were great. Despite finding his whole deal ridiculous, I really like Rafal.. I felt like we needed more morally bent members to recruit and he's like an angry cat in demeanor. The Four Winds are pretty cool, though I'm bummed we'll never get Griss over lame Gregory.

Cindered Shadows was better.

Man I would love it if Nintendo could somehow continue the Emblem Engage System. Maybe by making Xenoblade Emblem and Swords being engaged with the MCs or something…. or even better SMT x Fire Emblem 2

So is Fell/Xenologue Alear Lumera's biological child this time? They seemingly aren't siblings with Nel and Nil/Rafal and have fully blue hair, slightly less saturated too.

So is Fell/Xenologue Alear Lumera's biological child this time? They seemingly aren't siblings with Nel and Nil/Rafal and have fully blue hair, slightly less saturated too.
That does seem to be the case, though they don't ever directly confirm it to my knowledge.

So I don't replay games, what would be the best time / chapter to know whether or not to buy the season pass so it isn't too late? Every wave is finally out so now I'll actually play and finish the game.

Chapter 5 of the DLC is completely insane. I’m about to look up a way to “break” it if at all possible cause godamn, just spent a couple hours on that just to run out of rewinds.

Can’t say I’m too big of a fan of the DLC chapters. The balancing is just all sorts of weird.

The Xenologue story does not make any sense, but it is so hard that is good. Too bad that to compensate that, there are not permadeth for most of the cast.

I am finally getting around to the other DLC bracelet maps and wow, Veronica's map is not only the nicest looking map in the game its one of the nicest looking environments I've seen on the Switch. Guess the devs wanted to spread some FEH love.

So I don't replay games, what would be the best time / chapter to know whether or not to buy the season pass so it isn't too late? Every wave is finally out so now I'll actually play and finish the game.

Depends on wheter you view seeing unintroduced characters earlier as spoiler. If not an issue then imo as soon as you can acess the DLC at Chapter 6. This allows you play a large chunk of the game with new characters and two new clasess if you so choose.

If it is an issue, i dont know the exact chapter but probaly around chapter 19.

Short of beating the game I don't really think there is one. The bracelet chapters scale with you so you in theory should be good to do them whenever, while the story expansion uses set levels for whoever you bring in.

The only thing I would say to watch out for is the later recruitable characters have better levels/stats in the story expansion then the earlier ones so maybe save that until you recruit all of the base game characters, just so you have more options.

The only thing I would say to watch out for is the later recruitable characters have better levels/stats in the story expansion then the earlier ones so maybe save that until you recruit all of the base game characters, just so you have more options.
I was also a bit worried because I was half reading post to know if the Season Pass was worth it and saw plenty of people saying that some DLC units "ruined" their playthrough or something like that but as to avoid spoilers I was trying to read as little as possible.

I was also a bit worried because I was half reading post to know if the Season Pass was worth it and saw plenty of people saying that some DLC units "ruined" their playthrough or something like that but as to avoid spoilers I was trying to read as little as possible.
The DLC grants access to Emblem Bracelets that are OP compared to the Emblem Rings in the base game. There's nothing majorly spoilery about that.

I am finally getting around to the other DLC bracelet maps and wow, Veronica's map is not only the nicest looking map in the game its one of the nicest looking environments I've seen on the Switch. Guess the devs wanted to spread some FEH love.
Veronica's map looks pretty nice but imo by far the best looking environment in the game is the Anna paralogue map.

I can explain as best as I can without spoiling what happens, as there is actually something the DLC can 'ruin' I suppose

At a certain chapter your rings are temporarily taken away to increase the difficulty of said chapter. However the bracelets aren't taken which means the challenge is lowered since you can still use Tiki etc. I preferred doing this chapter without DLC because it made it feel more challenging and interesting.

I finished the DLC yesterday and I have to say that I have liked it, but I would have preferred a DLC story set after the main quest that expands the already known world of the game.
Also I loved the other royals, but I wanted to see more of them (…and I wanted to see the other retainers too 😭)

As for the maps: I played the maps from 1 to 5 on Maddening without too much struggle (and map 5 has become one of my fav in the game), but map 6 was literally unplayable for my team. So after hours of attemps, I just lowered the difficulty to normal because I wanted to see the ending at that point (on normal it was really a joke lmao, I skipped more than half of the map)

Holy shit this game is incredible. I’ve never gotten invested in a Fire Emblem game before, but this rocks. I’m nearing the end of the main story, and it has me on the edge of my seat.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a campy story now and then. The cast are all walking human disasters and I love them for that.

Yeah, the Engage story may not have been what I wanted, but it is still fun where it counts. The final third in particular is pretty fun, even if some of the execution is a bit lacking. There are genuine emotional and exciting moments that took me by surprise throughout the game,

I wish they had spent some of the time they were just sitting on the game tightening up the writing, I think another editing pass over the structure of the story would have smoothed over a lot of the bigger issues, especially backstory dumps as a character lays dying. Most of my other issues with the story come down to presentation. Fire Emblem needs to move on from dolls speaking to each other against a JPEG background.

I know it's hard to believe, but there are stories out there that are worse than the ones found in Fire Emblem games. Yes, even worse than Fates.

Most of my other issues with the story come down to presentation. Fire Emblem needs to move on from dolls speaking to each other against a JPEG background.
Still an upgrade over the old "portraits speaking over a JPEG background" of older games. Three Houses may not have been fantastic graphically but it at least introduced support conversations with character models and limited choreography.

Still an upgrade over the old "portraits speaking over a JPEG background" of older games. Three Houses may not have been fantastic graphically but it at least introduced support conversations with character models and limited choreography.
Even if it's an "improvement" (don't necessarily agree), Weebos is still right.

...I can't tell if this is sarcasm?
Not sarcasm! I’m genuinely enjoying it a lot. I’ve barely touched other FE games so I don’t have much to compare it to, but I hope to try out Three Houses once I’m finished with Engage. I hear it’s even better so I’m looking forward to it.

I think I’m just going to lower the difficulty to normal for the final Xenologue chapter. This is just beyond insane.

Calm the fuck down with the reinforcements, Intelligent Systems.

I know it's hard to believe, but there are stories out there that are worse than the ones found in Fire Emblem games. Yes, even worse than Fates.
This reminds me that Fates: Birthright have such a great moment regarding Elise and Xander where
Xander kills her
and I wanted something like that in Engage. And seeing that Alfred
dies young
, I wish that they would have done something like this with him.

Also, what they did with Alfred's voice in the english version? His voice and way to speak are totally different from his personality.

Edit: Welp, the inline spoiler tag did not work. Sorry if someone saw the spoilers when I posted.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Engage story may not have been what I wanted, but it is still fun where it counts. The final third in particular is pretty fun, even if some of the execution is a bit lacking. There are genuine emotional and exciting moments that took me by surprise throughout the game,

I wish they had spent some of the time they were just sitting on the game tightening up the writing, I think another editing pass over the structure of the story would have smoothed over a lot of the bigger issues, especially backstory dumps as a character lays dying. Most of my other issues with the story come down to presentation. Fire Emblem needs to move on from dolls speaking to each other against a JPEG background.

I mostly agree with you. Engage is a good game and it gets much better in its final third. I'm not sure if I'll ever replay it (even with the DLCs), but it was a fun time and a nice entry in the series.

Have finally beaten the game. This story is straight up bonkers. Was a fun ride, hope a similar engage system comes back, I enjoyed it.

Wtf Chapter 17 is pure insanity. This game has some quite memorable maps.

I beat wave 4 of the DLC! I enjoyed it. Felt like it was shorter than Cindered Shadows but idk if that’s because it was literally only battles and story with no side-stuff or exploration. Also kind of a bummer that there’s legit only
two fully new characters. That being said I’m really happy for the Four Winds and will be curious to look up their support conversations later. Kind of bummed I beat the main game a month ago because I don’t get to really experience any of the other stuff here since I won’t be doing a second playthrough.

Wow finally getting around to the last two DLC waves, and Fell Xenologue just immediately feels horrible to play on hard. I don't think I have the patience for this when I'm just trying to finish it before Future Redeemed releases, so I'm probably playing it on normal.

Still not done with the main game...

It's extremely amusing how casually they inserted time travelling into the plot, especially the complete lack of reaction from the cast. No one is surprised that they actually time travelled and acts as if it was the most normal thing in the universe.

Also, if they destroyed the Crystal in the past then how does Veyle sense it in the present?

I'm very curious if Chapter 25 will even acknowledge that the party just time travelled but I'm expecting the game to completely ignore that and just move on.

Still not done with the main game...

It's extremely amusing how casually they inserted time travelling into the plot, especially the complete lack of reaction from the cast. No one is surprised that they actually time travelled and acts as if it was the most normal thing in the universe.

Also, if they destroyed the Crystal in the past then how does Veyle sense it in the present?

I'm very curious if Chapter 25 will even acknowledge that the party just time travelled but I'm expecting the game to completely ignore that and just move on.
The time travel is done very casually, but the general idea is that Veyle sensed it in the present because they hadn't traveled back in time to destroy it yet.

Really though, the plot writing in Engage is, aside from some key moments, just kind of shoddy and pretty much Alear & Co. wandering into a series of Team Rocket traps.

This is my first Fire Emblem game, and I'm having quite a blast. I feel like I'm making no progress though, because I do all the available skirmish battles first then do one campaign chapter then get off for the day, ha. Finished chapter 11 today. I quite enjoyed how that one was a get the hell out of dodge to fight another day mission instead of clear the area of enemies mission.

Also, Lapis is the best girl. That is all.

After finishing this game and the DLC for a while and having pondered my feelings about it, I have to say, it's one of my favorite games in the series. Probably my second favorite, and I've played all of them.

I can understand why people don't like this game, I really do. But I think this is a game that's much better appreciated when you focus on the things that it does right. Is the story bad? Well, I enjoyed it. At the very least, I appreciate that the game is perfectly aware of what type of story it's trying to tell. This is not an epic worldbuilding, Game of Thrones-esque tale, it's a Saturday Morning Cartoon plot and the game is fully aware.

The gameplay, map design, and unit balance is by far the best the series has done. It's great to have a game where every character feels usable and you can actually build a team made entirely of people you like and it'll carry you through the whole game.

And finally I want to talk about the cast of characters. It's a small one, but I think that's what makes it special. I think that the Somniel being this little home for the whole cast gave the characters (and the game in general) a much more intimate feel that I appreciated more and more as the game progressed. It made me see all of the characters as one big family rather than a team, which made unlocking the Support convos all the more special.

This probably sounds very silly, but it's honestly how I feel about the game. A little breath of fresh air in a series that for better or for worse, tends to take itself a bit too seriously.

I think this interview was done some time ago, cause I remember seeing a similar post. Nintendo Dream has it as May 20th. Great insight on why we got a Wolf unit with daggers, tl;dr its never been done lol.

Full Interview: https://www.ndw.jp/fee-interview-230520/

Been listening to the ost during work and man this banger of a ending theme (in both languages).

I wonder what the developers think about the fact that Engage sold less than 3H, given that they wanted the former to be "a second Awakening" and introduce a ton of new players to the series, which is something that Three Houses actually managed to do.

I wonder what the developers think about the fact that Engage sold less than 3H, given that they wanted the former to be "a second Awakening" and introduce a ton of new players to the series, which is something that Three Houses actually managed to do.
If I were to hazard a guess, I don't think they'll lean this far into the overly simple plotting and world building in the next non-remake entry, at least. Engage was clearly focused on being an anniversary celebration title, but the game never really had any of what made Three Houses pop for so many.

I think that the Somniel being this little home for the whole cast gave the characters (and the game in general) a much more intimate feel that I appreciated more and more as the game progressed. It made me see all of the characters as one big family rather than a team, which made unlocking the Support convos all the more special.
The reason I really enjoyed the Somniel is that it heavily reminded me of the Starship Mario from Galaxy 2. Playing Engage actually had me wanting to go and revisit it at times.

Got it as a bday gift this year and it was fun.

The story is as bad as the gameplay is good. I'm not good enough to finish on maddening, but I completed the game on hard and had a great time.

Really fun character development, and I thought the map design was great all the way through. I'm really glad I took a chance on it.

Last edited:
The story is as bad as the gameplay is good. I'm not good enough to finish on maddening, but I completed the game on hard and had a great time.

Really fun character development, and I thought the map design was great all the way through. I'm really glad I took a chance on it.

Honestly the story, was really just nostalgia pandering for the fans.

As for the vtubber artist hiring spree nintendo is doing i personally think its cool as it gives them a chance to do work outside of vtubber stuff.

Despite getting it back in January, I just finished it because the story, dialogue and some voice acting made me want to destroy my eyes and ears every time I played it even though I LOOOVEEED the gameplay and on the last chapter I really liked the moment with the Emblems and make it worth to to push through the horrible story and dialogue just to watch that moment.

I am now thirsting for another Fire Emblem Experience. I assumed the next one is a remake for the Switch, I hope it is announced in the January/February Direct and it's out by Summer, but most of all I want it to no have an extremely bad story and dialogue, PLEASE!

Back
Top Bottom