• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

How long are we expecting this to be? I have done all the maps/paralogues/DLC. 😀 I am just curious bc I have another game I wanna try to squeeze between now and battle network (and ofc zelda in May!)

I was planning on doing a maddening playthrough of this when all the DLC came out but I wasn't expecting it to only take like 2 months so don't really feel like playing this again yet 😅

guess i'll wait a bit longer

Started the dlc on Maddening... Holy cow, it's rough but its neat. It plays out more like a pure strategy game rather than an Srpg

The DLC is really hard. Had a rough time in the first chapter on Hard and decided to bump the difficulty on down to Normal for it going forward. I was able to do Hard just fine on the main game but with set equipment and set levels this is another story.

Last edited:
Interesting, the earlier a unit joins in the main game, the weaker they are in the DLC. That's one way to encourage/reward folks for playing it later in their run.

Time for Lindon to shine.

Well, guess the NG+ and battle fashion dreams are dead for this game. For all the time they apparently sat on this game, they couldn’t be bothered to add these two relatively simple but greatly appreciated things TH had. No NG+ in particular really limits my desire to ever replay this game.

Well, guess the NG+ and battle fashion dreams are dead for this game. For all the time they apparently sat on this game, they couldn’t be bothered to add these two relatively simple but greatly appreciated things TH had. No NG+ in particular really limits my desire to ever replay this game.
NG+ isn't necessarily an easy addition. The feature was part of Three Houses from the start. Engage seems more built around the idea that you'll do the online modes that Three Houses didn't have.

There are people that would absolutely cry foul if the FE4 maps were redone, but I wouldn't mind. Sigurd's Paralogue showed it's possible to cut those giant maps into smaller maps that retain the same layouts.
It's nbot about the layout has to be large for the gameplay. It's for story and presentation porpuse which was especially designed for this maps. Of coruse it works in engage. But it wouldn't really work for a FE4 without sacrificing a lot of their identity and presentation.

Initially, i was asking myself if i should wait finishing the main game until this comes out or not ... in the end i fell of Engage so hard that it just happened without decision to not finish the game before the last DLC.

Though tonight is Mario movie evening with the fam, so no playing the DLC until at earliest tomorrow.

I hope the DLC chapters are better than the last few of the main game, really started to make me feel unfavorable of the game.

Interesting, the earlier a unit joins in the main game, the weaker they are in the DLC. That's one way to encourage/reward folks for playing it later in their run.

Time for Lindon to shine.

They can't possibly make my Timerra more powerful. Dunno if it's just luck with stat RNG or general luck, but (in the main game) she's almost Alear level of being able to tank whole flanks alone.

Ah the DLC starts with your opposite Avatar form. Reminds me of finding the other Byleth if you went under the Monastery in NG+

Edit: It also starts with an annoying battle gimmick. Woohoo.....

Last edited:
Ah the DLC starts with your opposite Avatar form. Reminds me of finding the other Byleth if you went under the Monastery in NG+

Edit: It also starts with an annoying battle gimmick. Woohoo.....
The battle gimmick ended up being pretty much nothing surprisingly. Other then the tease by the restore staff 😒

Chapter 1 cleared. Few tries as I trying to figure how how to proceed with that I could take.

Ended up taking mages. Nil with Byleth and Nel with Tiki. Gonna use the DLC emblems for this since I’m on maddening and should be fun with fixed levels. Alear sucks tho, weak stats but had them with corrin in the main game so bond level 20 corrin basically makes you a tank so Divine One is okay.

It's nbot about the layout has to be large for the gameplay. It's for story and presentation porpuse which was especially designed for this maps. Of coruse it works in engage. But it wouldn't really work for a FE4 without sacrificing a lot of their identity and presentation.
A remake would be able to do so much more with the story than the original, really.

A remake would be able to do so much more with the story than the original, really.

Maybe but it would miss some of the very nice incorporated Gameplay Story integration like stuff:
Chapter 1:
The moment you moved forwart the map and suddenly an army from the other side of the map starts moving to your starting castle with no way for you to reach them in time until Eldigan appearse
or Chapter 5:
The whole sequence with Quan in the desert on a whole other spot on the map. I actually tried to reach them in time, but there was just no way to do it.

Relly. Making the maps smaller would just destroy a lot of identity of FE4 for me.

Every single enemy vs. Nil

images

What do you guys think are the weakest Emblem Ring and Emblem Bracelets. I try not to go over 12 useful units so the overflow of Ring+DLC Braclets is slowly starting to make me overanalyze each one as i feel I have to use them all.

Edit:

Also just used Veronica Bracelet yesterday and was about to fail the Chrom map until Clanne pulled a freaking Lucina out the Loot Box which I proceeded to Bond Shield my team. That bracelet is crazy!

What do you guys think are the weakest Emblem Ring and Emblem Bracelets. I try not to go over 12 useful units so the overflow of Ring+DLC Braclets is slowly starting to make me overanalyze each one as i feel I have to use them all.

Edit:

Also just used Veronica Bracelet yesterday and was about to fail the Chrom map until Clanne pulled a freaking Lucina out the Loot Box which I proceeded to Bond Shield my team. That bracelet is crazy!
The DLC Bracelets are OP. I wouldn't call any of them weak.

As far as the rings, Leif's is probably the least impressive.

Edit:

Leif has to be the weakest emblem in the entire game.

Only useful in early chapters where they can deal some damage in Their engage attack. But falls off massively and their abilities aren’t really useful.

Lucina is another I feel isn’t that good. But chain attack helps her a lot with her support abilities. Engage attack is pretty useful in the last couple chapters even on a unit that can’t deal much damage as well

You know what you guys are 1000% right about Lief. I actually hate the Engage of that Emblem as sometimes it picks a weapon thats not great. I was keeping it on Panette because I love playing suicidal beserk with Vangaurd++ and was too lazy to get the SP tonlearn the skill. But i should be able to afford it now and can dump Lief.

Great pick for a ring to sit on the bench.

As for DLC emblems.

Camilla is probably the worst. Engage attack does more harm than good and their weapons aren’t that good. Tho I’m sure there’s a better use due their engage attack. I just dislike the fire status and causes movement penalties

Abilities aren’t too bad. It’s just everyone else has much better tools.

I think my favorite is Soren. Basically destroys fliers and bolting is pretty useful. Plus their engage attack bonded with Ike can cause such damaged or eliminate a few enemies.

Chrom with a magic user can be deadly cause of the stat boost. And rally spectrum.

Tiki is just a tank. The most useful breath attack is Freeze. Pretty powerful stopping enemies and free damage even if you miss is pretty funny.

Veronica has the widest set of tools of all the DLC. Summoning another unit can save you so many times. And if you get lucky and get a 5 star. Pretty fun. Plus fortify.

Hector is a mixed bag for me. Blocking folks from entering spaces is neat but too often units just ignore hector cause he had too much of a defense lol. His weapons are cool. Cool abilities. Just no unit that work well with them. Tho I feel Ike is the better choice between the two

Yeah. Something has to be going on with them.

They suck too much right now for fighting. Suspicious
My assumption is that, after the first chapter and getting halfway through the second
they're the one who caused the emblems to be summoned as is, and they want the emblems all collected so they can become able to transform to an actual dragon like their sibling.

Haven’t gotten to start chapter 2. But the cutscene prior to that chapter lets me think I am gonna guess what will happen.

Huh, Chapter 2 hints at the ending for one of the characters in the main game.

[Main game SPOILER]
The Xenologue/slightly older Alfred mentions being tired and worn out and Celine mentions he needs to rest more. He's already on the path to an early grave in this universe too, poor buddy.

Hector is a mixed bag for me. Blocking folks from entering spaces is neat but too often units just ignore hector cause he had too much of a defense lol. His weapons are cool. Cool abilities. Just no unit that work well with them. Tho I feel Ike is the better choice between the two

For my rotation, I am probaly going to take Hector off Diamant and give him Tiki (until I replace him). Panette has been playing with practically a Bond Ring due to Lief's lack of usefulness, so Hector will be a big updgrade to give her for me. She gets bulkier which is great for what I want her to do and the Crit+20 on Storm Eye is nice. When the HP% of Quick Riposte+ and Vantage++ aligns the synergy should be fun.

I really like Nel’s voice acting.

They’re pretty good.

Chapter 2 done.
Veyle
is pretty strong in this fixed stats chapters lol

Last edited:

They’re pretty good.

Chapter 2 done. Veyle is pretty strong in this fixed stats chapters lol
Yeah Veyle has been a mainstay for me in these lol. Hortensia also scales very well.

Last edited:

They’re pretty good.

Chapter 2 done. Veyle is pretty strong in this fixed stats chapters lol
Should probably spoiler quote that name.

Anyways, speaking of spoilers unfortunately recruiting the characters from the DLC into the main game brings them at a set level. They come at level 20, so I really wouldn't recommend getting them ASAP in a playthrough. While the gameplay is good, this DLC has fumbled the bag on QOL or scaling :/

Me, foolishly: "Hey, chapter 1 and 2 of the xenologue without infinite reinforcements plaguing them were pretty good".

Chapter 3 "is 6 wyverns and 6 griffons every turn cool or what?"

God. Damn. It.

I don't even know why I let my hopes be raised.

Me, foolishly: "Hey, chapter 1 and 2 of the xenologue without infinite reinforcements plaguing them were pretty good".

Chapter 3 "is 6 wyverns and 6 griffons every turn cool or what?"

God. Damn. It.

I don't even know why I let my hopes be raised.

This is my main gripe with Engage. As nice as the maps and the objectives are, the constant tidal wave of reinforcements, which also don't give much or any experience at some point, feel like IS really can't think of any good setups anymore. They're just there to annoy the player.

Especially shitty in combination with some map gimmicks, i look at you, certain snowy map from the late maingame.

While i'm not done with the maingame (before final map) or haven't had the time to do the DLC maps, i have to say that outside of map design and the technical side, Three Houses was a much better FE game than Engage.

I hope for the next new mainline game, IS and KT work together again.

This is my main gripe with Engage. As nice as the maps and the objectives are, the constant tidal wave of reinforcements, which also don't give much or any experience at some point, feel like IS really can't think of any good setups anymore. They're just there to annoy the player.
They're there to discourage turtling or grinding, the former of which they have been trying to tackle the entire series with limited success and the latter they clearly wanted to be careful with in Engage, especially for Maddening. Personally I found that if I ever got overwhelmed by the reinforcements, it was because I made too many mistakes and/or played too slowly. That said, something more elegant would be nice, but not much they've tried in the past has actually worked as effectively (since this solution is basically just a game over)

I think most of the reinforcements weren't too bad, because they did prevent you from just tanking slowly with the same 2-3 characters. However it does get irritating in some of the chapters from 20 onwards, with 21 personally being the worst for me.

Anyways, I saw High Priest Diamant for the first time today and figured I'd share with the class.

FsBlC23WcAAou_l

They're there to discourage turtling or grinding, the former of which they have been trying to tackle the entire series with limited success and the latter they clearly wanted to be careful with in Engage, especially for Maddening. Personally I found that if I ever got overwhelmed by the reinforcements, it was because I made too many mistakes and/or played too slowly. That said, something more elegant would be nice, but not much they've tried in the past has actually worked as effectively (since this solution is basically just a game over)

Dunno, i'd think having the regular enemies on the map, partially even the boss character charge at your positions from turn 1 was already a strategy to discourage turtling.

If every turn (even early ones) has at least 4+ reinforcements, who're in mid to late maps also promoted units, it ends up overwhelming the player very fast.

So, either do one or the other, not both.

The easiest solution for trying to cancel out turtling is btw a simple turn restriction. Like for example Valkyria Chronicles has.
If you didn't play that game, you lose a map if you take 20 turns.
Those games also encourage you to do good without using too many turns by having a second set of map clearing rewards based on how many turns you took.
So rewarding the player for playing smarter/better is of course another idea to work with instead of just doing "Reinforcements, Reinforcements, Reinforcements!". (The Steve Balmer meme works great with this.)

Dunno, i'd think having the regular enemies on the map, partially even the boss character charge at your positions from turn 1 was already a strategy to discourage turtling.
Would this not just... encourage turtling? If the boss is coming to you, why bother moving? Just set up a surekill wherever you are.
The easiest solution for trying to cancel out turtling is btw a simple turn restriction. Like for example Valkyria Chronicles has.
They've (sort of) tried this before but I guess they weren't fans of it? This is for sure the simplest way to go. My guess is they don't want to spend the time balancing it since there are so many character options now.
So rewarding the player for playing smarter/better is of course another idea to work with instead of just doing "Reinforcements, Reinforcements, Reinforcements!". (The Steve Balmer meme works great with this.)
They have tried this too, but the rewards have usually not been good enough. The one time the rewards were actually substantial, people lost their minds and suddenly IS made the hardest game in the series (Thracia)

Would this not just... encourage turtling? If the boss is coming to you, why bother moving? Just set up a surekill wherever you are.

They've (sort of) tried this before but I guess they weren't fans of it? This is for sure the simplest way to go. My guess is they don't want to spend the time balancing it since there are so many character options now.

They have tried this too, but the rewards have usually not been good enough. The one time the rewards were actually substantial, people lost their minds and suddenly IS made the hardest game in the series (Thracia)

Hey, given they're about to remake Holy War (and maybe also Thracia) they can try again with the rewards, but this time without going bonkers on the difficulty! ;]

Xenologue 4... Oof, Timerra and Ivy's screams as they get killed by Nel were well done and sad. Then it get cheapened by the corrupted plot twist.

Chapter 5 is brutal. I have no idea if I'm going to make it to the objective in time and I'm already over an hour in lol.

For Chapter 5, putting Hortensia exactly
next to the electric fence around Pepsi/Alear means she can heal both them and Nel with Fortify. I put Micaiah on her to boot.

Edit: I cannot believe how dumb they are at the end of the chapter.
"Let's leave Nil behind despite that being a terrible idea and also the main problem we were just dealing with!"

Last edited:
The way units scale when starting the DLC is bizarre.

Especially shitty in combination with some map gimmicks, i look at you, certain snowy map from the late maingame.

While i'm not done with the maingame (before final map) or haven't had the time to do the DLC maps, i have to say that outside of map design and the technical side, Three Houses was a much better FE game than Engage.

I hope for the next new mainline game, IS and KT work together again.

Reinforcements (that don't give exp) are a good thing because they actually promote playing for the objective instead of slowly and boringly routing every map while turtling. Engage overdoes it on some maps (IE Ch25 lol) but for the most part I think the reinforcements are pretty well done. Chapter 15 for example is a really fun map only because of the super juiced berserker reinforcements chasing you down and forcing you to rush through the ruins to the exit.

Reinforcements (that don't give exp) are a good thing because they actually promote playing for the objective instead of slowly and boringly routing every map while turtling. Engage overdoes it on some maps (IE Ch25 lol) but for the most part I think the reinforcements are pretty well done. Chapter 15 for example is a really fun map only because of the super juiced berserker reinforcements chasing you down and forcing you to rush through the ruins to the exit.

They're not a good thing, they're just covering for crap design choices. You can easily get the same effect to prevent turtling by simply having enemies move in groups by default.

The horrendous reliance on infinite swarms of completely overbearing reinforcements completely undermines the effort they actually put in to making the maps and gameplay systems.

It's not like making the one viable strategy that can actually clear a map on upper difficulties of "rush forward as fast as goddamned possible" is some sort of an improvement over giving the players options as to how they clear any given map.

Map 3 of the fell xenologue was actually quite cool until the "haha jk infinite flying reinforcements and there's no cover on the map" shoe dropped. Like, working out a way to survive the first couple of turns was pretty challenging because you're surrounded and need to work out exactly who is going to be baited to what and took me a few attempts and changes of units to do. But then I got halfway up the map and they're just endlessly spawning more units (based on how far I walked in the map), and I've just turned the game off. I don't know that I can be arsed with the game doing this garbage any more.

Last edited:
They're not a good thing, they're just covering for crap design choices. You can easily get the same effect to prevent turtling by simply having enemies move in groups by default.
But...that can also lead to turtling. Keeping your units clustered and moving slowly while these groups of enemies run into the meat grinder you set up.

The horrendous reliance on infinite swarms of completely overbearing reinforcements completely undermines the effort they actually put in to making the maps and gameplay systems.
Not to hit you with a "works on my machine" but like... it doesn't undermine the efforts. It is a part of it.

It is true that the way this game uses reinforcements is part of its map and encounter design, rather than running counter to it

Now I'd argue it's not a good part, but it's not incongruous, really

Yeah the infinite reinforcements works on some maps, but they do lean on it a bit too much later in the game.

I don't mind the concept at all, I just felt like they used it too many times, and didn't communicate it at all.

When the infinite reinforcements starting spawning if we had some sort of popup about it, or a character said, "Hey there's a whole lotta guys out there, we better wrap it up!" I think it would feel better than it does.

They could have also done the old classic of having them come from a fort or stairway, so parking a character on that works as counterplay.

Lucina is another I feel isn’t that good. But chain attack helps her a lot with her support abilities. Engage attack is pretty useful in the last couple chapters even on a unit that can’t deal much damage as well
Lucina is easily one of the best. I think you are focusing on the wrong parts. Bonded Shield is busted. Chain attack on knife unit is nice too

Yeah Lucina is great, especially on Framme and
Enchanter

In regards to reinforcements, in main game, I had no issue. In DLC it just feels too much and feels like im taking twice as long to do maps. Like its FINE and I'm making progress but im tempted to lower the difficulty or lean heavily on a few units. Atm, the dlc is a slog for me.

So how do you guys prefer your Four Winds/Hounds? For me:

Zephia = Zelestia
Griss > Gregory
Marnie < Madeline
Mauvier < Mauvier 2 Electric Boogaloo

Back
Top Bottom