• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

The lack of Emblems rings that focus on Magic is disappointing. I understand Lucina, but would’ve been more fun with Robin.

Think it’s just
Byleth with a stave
Celica
Micaiah

So what I am saying. More Magic lords please.

also, I had a suspicion that there being 12 rings in the main game, means that the max amount of units for maps was gonna be 12 and seems to be the case lol. Nothing above 12 so far.

Sidenote. I’m guessing Skimishes are not a maddening thing correct? I’ve only seen 2 in 40 hours and the guide made it seem like a common occurrence. Good thing I stop with donations early. Had a sneaky suspicion, but still wasted about 25K on them

I definitely wish there was another magic Emblem in the game, too. It feels a bit lacking with how many magic units I want to use. That, and I honestly just feel like while magic is still obviously good in this game, it doesn't feel as good as it did in Three Houses. I don't like the change of making you equip a book just to have one spell versus having access to your entire spellbook, even if the uses are limited per battle. Same with healing, I really prefer having limited heals per battle but not having to worry about consumable staffs and just have them refresh every battle.

While she's not directly magic, Eirikas emblem ring is pretty much designed for going on a unit who uses both magic and physical weapons, so someone who you might give the radiant bow or Levin sword to, which is sort of half a magic unit? Haha.

Wow I hate the Ike map! Super weird as the last Emblem map I did was Lucina’s piss easy boring one. Also at a point where I’m under the recommended level for everything on the world map, oops.

I have to admit I’m losing steam on this one a bit. Past the “must play this every time I sit down to play something” stage, now kind of wanting to go back to the other stuff I put on hold for it. It’s going to be a longer playtime than any of my 3H runs, and they were long.
You probably already know this, but just in case you don't:

If you use Lyndis's engage attack on a covert unit like Alcryst, you can easily hit Ike where he's sitting, and then he will come to you

And I mean he will come directly to you

It shortens the map to like 3-4 turns long

Byleth’s chapter went from okay difficulty to instant super hard for 2 seconds before you realize the AI has different ideas and back to just okay difficulty.

Seriously. Byleth. You are the worst tactician

You probably already know this, but just in case you don't:

If you use Lyndis's engage attack on a covert unit like Alcryst, you can easily hit Ike where he's sitting, and then he will come to you

And I mean he will come directly to you

It shortens the map to like 3-4 turns long
I didn’t know this!

I reset with an extra magic user to deal with the fact there were so many high def units, then went more aggressive while using tanks/Corrin to hold people back. Still tough, but less so as I took less time so there were less reinforcements.

Funnily enough…
I guess because of my unit placement, he didn’t destroy the impassable ruins on my second attempt. Would have been nice for getting more people on his ass quicker but I guess the AI accounted for it not being in his favour lol.

Personalitywise, I guess I like Panette and Ivy but barely. Overall, I feel like alot of characters either have a solid foundation but lacks something to endear them to the player or the character is too over the top in thier personality trope.

It's funny how so many Emblems have to start with seemingly random weapons so that every weapon type is covered fairly equally, rather than it being like 80% swords. Like, Byleth as an Arts user? Lucina as an archer? Huh?
Oh I love this. Makes all of them feel more varied and customizable. Plus it's full of easter eggs to the past games. Lucina's bow for example is based on one of Lucina's alts in Heroes using a bow, most likely.

So. Cast is overall underwhelming for me.

But that was expected with it lots of characters and no room to grow them. It was the same In a lot of fire emblem games.

But who’s everyone’s favorite?

I like Etie the most. A gimmick character. But pretty funny supports makes the gimmick work.

Second is Seadell. I like his design. And he’s a dancer. Fire emblem’s best class.
Double post, oops.
Pandreo has climbed to be my favorite overall. I love his supports and I love using him. I also like Alcryst, though his C supports get a little grating.

Oh I love this. Makes all of them feel more varied and customizable. Plus it's full of easter eggs to the past games. Lucina's bow for example is based on one of Lucina's alts in Heroes using a bow, most likely.
Oh, I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. I just find it funny how they have to paste some pretty unfitting weapons and proficiencies on certain Emblems because so many of them primarily use swords. Give us some more unique lord types IntSys.

Beat the game on Maddening. Very fun overall, last 2 chapters were incredibly difficult to play "normally" though so I came up with some janky cheese strategies and managed to clear them in 1 and 4 turns respectively. Felt pretty good.

Some massive difficulty spikes but this also the first maddening/maniac/lunatic or what have you mode that actually feels good to play and not like a RNG-fest that makes all but 2-3 units useful (looking at you Robin Emblem). Fixed growths is such a good thing I don't think I'll ever replay an older FE game without a mod that removes rng growths.

Overall probably the best FE game I played since Conquest, might edge that out that too because lunatic in Conquest wasn't as approachable as Maddening is in this game. Story and cutscene direction are some of the worst I've seen in a long time but at least the gameplay was engaging (lol) enough to keep me playing unlike some other recent FE games.

Biggest praise I can give this game is how it made me want to replay the older games again with all of it's throwbacks and music and stuff. Might have to do a cheeky FE4 run soon.

Me and a friend beat the game around the same time so we exchanged and compared notes and made a quick unit tierlist because god knows people who play this franchise can't help but make tierlists about units.

iL35KxW.png

Assumes no DLC and fixed Maddening growths, put Kagetsu in his own S+ tier if you have access to the 3H Emblem Ring, he's head and shoulders above the rest of the units in the game only held back by starting in a bad class, the quicker you can get him to actually use axes the easier to game is going to be.

Mauvier wasn't on my tiermaker thing but he is insane and has absurd growths as well insane base stats but he also starts in a terrible class (the fact he can make this work is testament to how strong he is) and you get him far too late to do much carrying when you can't really level him in Maddening. Veyle is a fantastic Byleth dance bot.

Alear could be A or S rank if you go full investment but they're too weak early game to really get that much use out of.

Vander isn't good but required to beat some early chapters if you don't want to lose your mind and if you inherit some +hit he actually does pretty alright for himself for longer than you'd think.

All Emblems are useful in combat except for Leif who only exists for weapon skill. Tiki and 3H are super overpowered.

Obviously not super academical or anything and more made for fun.

I didn’t know this!

I reset with an extra magic user to deal with the fact there were so many high def units, then went more aggressive while using tanks/Corrin to hold people back. Still tough, but less so as I took less time so there were less reinforcements.

Funnily enough…
I guess because of my unit placement, he didn’t destroy the impassable ruins on my second attempt. Would have been nice for getting more people on his ass quicker but I guess the AI accounted for it not being in his favour lol.
I found the prologue fairly easy, my strategy was
Move the whole army south, let Ike slowly come to me, delete him using magic and engage attacks. Made use of Seadall and Byleth to ensure my mages have enough attacks to finish him in one round.

Oh, I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. I just find it funny how they have to paste some pretty unfitting weapons and proficiencies on certain Emblems because so many of them primarily use swords. Give us some more unique lord types IntSys.
Which ones do you think are unfitting? Pretty much every weapon and proficiency has some reference to a past game

I think my favorite character is Jade. Not just for being a tank. She has a fun dichotomy of being straight-faced but is a hell of a comedian as an author.

Also, thinking about it, the "just give everyone Canter" strategy feels extremely basic, and ultimately it's just spending a thousand SP on a skill that isn't even necessarily useful to most units in most situations. I'll look forward to when people develop more intricate character builds.

Which ones do you think are unfitting? Pretty much every weapon and proficiency has some reference to a past game
I know that they aren’t pulled completely out of nowhere, but my point is that each Emblem, for the most part, is known for using swords. Giving Lyn bow proficiency, Ike axe proficiency, Lucina bow proficiency, or Byleth arts proficiency isn’t a complete asspull, but it’s certainly not their primary weapon, and is pretty clearly done simply because there are no lords that really fit those requirements.

My point is that IntSys needs to stop giving swords to their damn protagonists.

I know that they aren’t pulled completely out of nowhere, but my point is that each Emblem, for the most part, is known for using swords. Giving Lyn bow proficiency, Ike axe proficiency, Lucina bow proficiency, or Byleth arts proficiency isn’t a complete asspull, but it’s certainly not their primary weapon, and is pretty clearly done simply because there are no lords that really fit those requirements.

My point is that IntSys needs to stop giving swords to their damn protagonists.
Very true!

Speaking of Emblem weapons, I have seen that some were blessed ones in past games...
Namely the three Regalia and probably Hauteclere somewhere down the line. Are "super weapons" no longer obtainable in the wild? Would be nice if one can equip them all the time without relying on the rings.

I think my favorite character is Jade. Not just for being a tank. She has a fun dichotomy of being straight-faced but is a hell of a comedian as an author.

Also, thinking about it, the "just give everyone Canter" strategy feels extremely basic, and ultimately it's just spending a thousand SP on a skill that isn't even necessarily useful to most units in most situations. I'll look forward to when people develop more intricate character builds.
Jade is probably my favorite, too. I like her, Yunaka, Rosado, and Merrin a lot. Actually Merrin might be my favorite design/outfit in the game, she rules just all around.

50 hours later and the credits roll. Not bad for a game I didn't even plan on buying. Maybe now I should go back and finally give Three Houses a fair try.

I found the prologue fairly easy, my strategy was
Move the whole army south, let Ike slowly come to me, delete him using magic and engage attacks. Made use of Seadall and Byleth to ensure my mages have enough attacks to finish him in one round.

Pandreo and Clanne did the job in the end, yeah. Also found Fogado and the Radiant Bow handy for other high def units.

Yeah, I haven't done anything much yet with inherited skills, but I feel like things like Quality Time and Dual Support on units who spend a lot of time at the centre of groups of allies and Momentum on mounted units will be more fun and useful. I feel like you can also inherit the ability that increases def/res or something if you're below 75% health? That can be pretty good I've found. Alacrity on Chloe has also meant she can just fly around wreaking havoc, so I might put it on some other units - I can see it being handy for magic users who can secure a kill with a double but would otherwise take a big hit doing so.

I’m stopping at chapter 18. I might come back to Engage in a few months, but right now I’m more motivated to complete my third route of Three Houses or replay a GBA FE/romhack than to press on here.

So like... you can totally just warp five units ten spaces away with Micaiah (or eleven with a certain unit's skill), dance and then warp five more right? And if the group of ten includes Byleth then you get thirteen attacks? I feel like you could easily cheese some maps by rushing the boss immediately

It’s kind of impressive that the game waits until chapter freaking 20 before it gives you the “twist” that you probably guessed from seeing the box art, let alone playing any of the game.

Since the plans I had for the long weekend here were cancelled I played all the day and finally finish this after 50 hours. Overall it was a really solid experience and some of the later maps added some interesting gimmicks. Also for the last chapters decided to play more with engraving and boy can that break the game having killer weapons with 50% crit chance, and the penalty depending on the emblem isn't that big honestly (with exception of Ike's engraving).

Also interesiting this doesn't have new game+. I kinda expected it because it seems completing the donations to all the countries is def. something you would'nt do realistically in just one gameplay.

Didn't have much time to play today, but I did hop in and do a round of Somniel tasks, so I'm all set for Chapter 18 tomorrow.

So like... you can totally just warp five units ten spaces away with Micaiah (or eleven with a certain unit's skill), dance and then warp five more right? And if the group of ten includes Byleth then you get thirteen attacks? I feel like you could easily cheese some maps by rushing the boss immediately
You can, Leif's paralogue is designed around warping too (they give you a warp staff before the equivalent of this map in Thracia if I remember correctly). Chapter 25 is super hard if you don't warpskip the boss.

Cleared that infamous Chapter 11 yesterday. Yeah ... the chapter alone is definitely a challenge on Hard or Maddening, but after i got two crit hits from an enemy carrying a Killer Axe against my Chloe (as Griffon Rider), standing on (or above) a forest tile, i can't imagine that this is any fun on anything above Normal.

Enemy had like 13% hit chance and crit two times in a row with that accuracy.

RNG is crazy here. Almost XCOM levels of fucking with you.

Does anyone know how the skill Bushido works in this game? Just got it on a bond ring and seems perfect to give to Yunaka.

Is it just based on the level of each unit we see on screen regardless of class or is there anything more to it?

That’s good old fire emblem cheesing.

It’s always fun to figure out how to complete chapters in few turns as possible. Makes it easier when the objective is “defeat boss”. Or seize. But that doesn’t seem to exist in this game.

Cleared that infamous Chapter 11 yesterday. Yeah ... the chapter alone is definitely a challenge on Hard or Maddening, but after i got two crit hits from an enemy carrying a Killer Axe against my Chloe (as Griffon Rider), standing on (or above) a forest tile, i can't imagine that this is any fun on anything above Normal.
I don't think fliers get the avo bonus from forest tiles, sadly.

For me the way through it was advancing with tanks and/or high res units to bait a steady trickle of enemies I could deal with while a couple of people held back to occupy the enemies coming from behind. I think I had Diamant and I definitely had Yunaka in bushes at the rear - by the end it was solely her on the backline slowing the enemy down. I may have also started promoting at that point so had a mounted mage to zip about and had a few people bulked up. People were largely running from cover to cover, avoiding puddles and taking advantage of bonuses like Alear's damage reduction.

I think I got super lucky with my line-up and with the enemy AI on that map though, because I found it fun and quite a relief after the previous chapter where I struggled a bit for a while.

I agree though, this definitely hits different for me when it comes to hit/avo and I'm playing around it now. Last night I think I had an enemy crit someone to death when the hit rate was 12%. 😭

You can, Leif's paralogue is designed around warping too (they give you a warp staff before the equivalent of this map in Thracia if I remember correctly). Chapter 25 is super hard if you don't warpskip the boss.
Nooooooo. I am always bad with strats like this because I feel like I'm skipping exp by making a beeline for the boss. I'll keep this in mind though, thank you.

Enemy had like 13% hit chance and crit two times in a row with that accuracy.

RNG is crazy here. Almost XCOM levels of fucking with you.
It's a challenging map for sure, but it's absolutely doable. Putting a flier on a forest tile though is just poor understanding of the mechanics, fliers don't get bonuses from terrain. If you want to dodge tank a killer axe user on forest you need to make use of a covert unit like Yunaka or Alcryst/Etie with a mini bow. You can also just face tank with a high hp/defense unit like Louis/Jade, Diamant, or Vander.

The game also shows you the golden ! When an enemy has a killer lance and a silver ! If they have a super effective weapon. You absolutely should be looking ahead and marking the movement of the most dangerous enemies to your army/units in the area to make sure you're not putting them in a situation where you have to rely on heavy rng to survive a round.

It's a challenging map for sure, but it's absolutely doable. Putting a flier on a forest tile though is just poor understanding of the mechanics, fliers don't get bonuses from terrain. If you want to dodge tank a killer axe user on forest you need to make use of a covert unit like Yunaka or Alcryst/Etie with a mini bow. You can also just face tank with a high hp/defense unit like Louis/Jade, Diamant, or Vander.

The game also shows you the golden ! When an enemy has a killer lance and a silver ! If they have a super effective weapon. You absolutely should be looking ahead and marking the movement of the most dangerous enemies to your army/units in the area to make sure you're not putting them in a situation where you have to rely on heavy rng to survive a round.

I mean ... tile advantages or not, enemy had a 13% hit rate against Chloe, so in this case just ignore the forest tile part.

Also, i think i played enough FE games to know how to play. ;]

Let's just say it was better to gamble Chloe tanking/evading, else said enemy would've gotten near Citrinne who definitely wouldn't have had the same chance to evade nor the promoted stats to survive two crits.
Though normally i wouldn't call 13% hit chance against my unit a gamble and more like a sure miss.

You absolutely should be looking ahead and marking the movement of the most dangerous enemies to your army/units in the area to make sure you're not putting them in a situation where you have to rely on heavy rng to survive a round.
Yes! This can get quite noisy visually but I often have the danger area on, plus any notable enemies' ranges lit up individually - in a lot of cases I know I can move a bulky tank into any sort of physical danger, but only if I'm keeping track of mages who would melt them. Same with fliers and bow users, or armoured/cavalry and enemy units with weapons that are effective on them.

13% hit rate landing twice is extremely unlucky though, unless that unit has some sort of ability that ignores that or guarantees a hit. I had Alcryst survive several rounds dodging hits from 4-5 enemies at similar hit rates and higher, and I only had to rewind and bait someone away once to keep him alive. I don't do it much, but switching to slim weapons also increases the dodge stat so you're less likely to take the crit even if the enemy's attack lands.

Curious to see how long it's taking people to finish this one. I just finished Chapter 20 and I'm at about 24 hours. I'm pretty much only doing the chapters and all of the paralogues - haven't seen any reason to do skirmishes since I'm not really feeling underleveled - if anything I'm overleveled. I spend maybe 10 minutes in Somniel in between each battle.

I'm not complaining at all, but I'm curious as to how people are getting 50+ hours out of this unless you're maybe playing on Maddening or something. I should be able to get a solid 35-40 hours in this before I'm done, which is honestly a great time for a RPG - not everything needs to be 90 hours.

Curious to see how long it's taking people to finish this one. I just finished Chapter 20 and I'm at about 24 hours. I'm pretty much only doing the chapters and all of the paralogues - haven't seen any reason to do skirmishes since I'm not really feeling underleveled - if anything I'm overleveled. I spend maybe 10 minutes in Somniel in between each battle.

I'm not complaining at all, but I'm curious as to how people are getting 50+ hours out of this unless you're maybe playing on Maddening or something. I should be able to get a solid 35-40 hours in this before I'm done, which is honestly a great time for a RPG - not everything needs to be 90 hours.
I'm on 45 hours and only at chapter 17. I've only done one skirmish, but I am doing paralogues. For comparison, a 3H playthrough took me 80 hours and in general I am very leisurely with games and tend towards the higher playtimes.

I don't skip cutscenes, let the VA get through most lines, have battle animations on (but speed up most of them) and I do everything in the Somniel between maps (including resting sometimes if I want different fish or someone else on cooking duty). I've been gifting and getting social levels up too. For a long while I spoke to everyone on the maps and at the Somniel until I realised they have nothing new to say in most cases lol.

I'm also incredibly slow in general and spend a lot of time planning out moves and calculating stuff, and my play style is slow, cautious, and tends towards cleaning up the map instead of rushing the objective. If I get a fair way into the map and think I messed up, I use the time crystal to go back to the start and take the hit to my charges instead of reloading, which would probably shave a few hours off my playtime since I did this on a handful of maps where I lost out on houses/huts by not getting there before bandits.

I'm only playing on Hard FWIW, I don't think I'd finish Maddening.

I'd guess people drop some time in Tempest Trials and those Relay Battle thingies too?

I'd guess people drop some time in Tempest Trials and those Relay Battle thingies too?
Oh yeah, I did some Tempest Trials. I will also own up to not knowing I could press + to skip the interminable scenes showing skirmishes despawning and spawning. Legit the worst part of the game until I thought to just...try pressing buttons.

Oh yeah, I did some Tempest Trials. I will also own up to not knowing I could press + to skip the interminable scenes showing skirmishes despawning and spawning. Legit the worst part of the game until I thought to just...try pressing buttons.

Wait you can skip that? Well that's actual minutes of time saved! Thanks!

I'm about 65-70 hours in on maddening with about 3 chapters to go and all paralogues cleared. Cleared a grand total of 3 skirmishes and have a 4th one sitting on the map, but it's fog of war and not worth the aggravation (and the recommended level is way higher than the story missions, lol).

Every move has to be very deliberate and I'd say probably about 25-30 minutes in the somniel between each battle? Including time for the supports to play out, listening to the whole voice track most times.

Yes! This can get quite noisy visually but I often have the danger area on, plus any notable enemies' ranges lit up individually - in a lot of cases I know I can move a bulky tank into any sort of physical danger, but only if I'm keeping track of mages who would melt them. Same with fliers and bow users, or armoured/cavalry and enemy units with weapons that are effective on them.

13% hit rate landing twice is extremely unlucky though, unless that unit has some sort of ability that ignores that or guarantees a hit. I had Alcryst survive several rounds dodging hits from 4-5 enemies at similar hit rates and higher, and I only had to rewind and bait someone away once to keep him alive. I don't do it much, but switching to slim weapons also increases the dodge stat so you're less likely to take the crit even if the enemy's attack lands.
13% is 13%, how many 1%-5% crits have you gotten over your entire time playing FE?

13% is 13%, how many 1%-5% crits have you gotten over your entire time playing FE?
I mean yeah, I wasn’t saying it was impossible for 13% to land both times, just very unlucky. It’s still a higher than 1 in 10 chance to hit at all and that then has a killer weapon chance of being a crit. Like I said, I play around those still being non-zero chances.

I mean yeah, I wasn’t saying it was impossible for 13% to land both times, just very unlucky. It’s still a higher than 1 in 10 chance to hit at all and that then has a killer weapon chance of being a crit. Like I said, I play around those still being non-zero chances.
This is why I trumpet the rewind feature and feel it should never leave Fire Emblem yes I know for part of chapter 11 you don't have it, I respect what IS was going for, but I stand by time rewind needs to stop being an element of the narrative and should just be a qol feature for the player

You know the irony? I gave Lapis a Wo Dao since her Str at the point of the game where i am leaves a lot to be desired. With a little RNG "luck" for stat ups, i thought she would do better with crit gamble than normal reliable damage.

Didn't get a single crit with her in 3 skirmishes despite hitting up to 30% crit chance.

I've since benched her for the time being.

So yeah, i do get "more" crits from single digit chances, though i wouldn't call it working as intended. ^^

It's only four per warp, right? You have to have your Micaiah unit standing in one of those spaces

You know the irony? I gave Lapis a Wo Dao since her Str at the point of the game where i am leaves a lot to be desired. With a little RNG "luck" for stat ups, i thought she would do better with crit gamble than normal reliable damage.

Didn't get a single crit with her in 3 skirmishes despite hitting up to 30% crit chance.

I've since benched her for the time being.

So yeah, i do get "more" crits from single digit chances, though i wouldn't call it working as intended. ^^
Crit weapons feel safer to take that risk with in this game thanks to the break mechanic. I don't lose as much sleep over not getting 2x 30% crits to proc when the killing weapon user takes no damage in response. Course the ideal crit builds in this or any other FE are when you can get your crit to 80% or higher where they basically become automatic.

Also a forged killing edge is better then the Wo Dao, due to the former being lighter and needing less materials to forge. Lapis in particular has low build so she takes a big speed penalty using heavier weapons.

This is why I trumpet the rewind feature and feel it should never leave Fire Emblem yes I know for part of chapter 11 you don't have it, I respect what IS was going for, but I stand by time rewind needs to stop being an element of the narrative and should just be a qol feature for the player
Oh absolutely! I know some people see restarting the map as their 'punishment' or whatever for a fuck-up but...I'm already a slow player, and I personally don't believe you need to be punished for a bad play beyond having to redo that play, learning from it, and having less wiggle room as your rewind charges go down. Use the rewind and take more chances! Put people in peril and hear their death quotes! Chapter 11 I think gets away with what it does since it's not a very long map so I can't imagine having to restart would be too awful.

Oh absolutely! I know some people see restarting the map as their 'punishment' or whatever for a fuck-up but...I'm already a slow player, and I personally don't believe you need to be punished for a bad play beyond having to redo that play, learning from it, and having less wiggle room as your rewind charges go down. Use the rewind and take more chances! Put people in peril and hear their death quotes! Chapter 11 I think gets away with what it does since it's not a very long map so I can't imagine having to restart would be too awful.
It's only really an issue because you're locked into it until you finish it, and if you've been carried by emblems and not promoting your units chapter 11 hits you like a truck. The other qol improvement of restart and keep exp does help that issue though.

yooo fellow Somnieliens, is anyone here doing Relay Trials?

me and a friend are looking for people to help our trials along since the "random" feature is officially broken so bad that Nintendo even tweeted about it (almost two weeks ago...).

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

the 2nd one is one we found on reddit and just I just wanted to see what it was like so I went in way underleveled for the map but still did some damage, so don't feel put off by what the map/difficulty is, the host's characters will do the rest).

join in and share in the spoils of battle with us!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom