• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Final Fantasy VII Rebirth |ST| "Don't fight here... you'll ruin the yellow paint!"

I've not yet gotten to playing the game (although I was basically way too curious so I looked up how some of it goes online XD). A little question I have. How many minigames are mandatory to get through the main story. I would hate to have to get through Queen's Blood and Fort Condor trials in particular to beat the game XD.
none of them

I think outside of one or two instances at the Gold Saucer, I don't think any of the mini games are mandatory and even then, I'm not sure if you're required to actual win in those instances. However, the mini games are very much connected to the longest sidequest chain in the game. They also have some of the best character interactions. If you don't participate, you're missing out on a big chunk of the game. You also won't be able to access some of the best items and equipment in the late game.

I would agree that while none of it is mandatory you would be getting a far lesser experience by skipping all of the side content and mini-games. I could see skipping some of the additional quests and maybe even the lifestream intel (though the boss fights those unlock are fantastic fun), but bypassing the Protorelics would be a big loss for any playthrough.

The main content still rips though so it wouldn't be all bad!

Just got to Cosmo Canyon, this is my favourite part of FFVII so i'm super excited to see how they have adapted it.

First impression of the area is mindblowing, holy shit!!

Famiboards: "Oh hey aus89, where are you up to in Rebirth?"
aus89:
maxresdefault.jpg

i’ve played almost 10 hours, trying to gather up the remaining quests and world intel before heading to the point of no return, and i’ve only gone up by 3 levels lol. is it possible to reach level 70 on the first playthrough?

i’ve played almost 10 hours, trying to gather up the remaining quests and world intel before heading to the point of no return, and i’ve only gone up by 3 levels lol. is it possible to reach level 70 on the first playthrough?

I didn't do everything. There was one more quest I didn't do plus, some the final part of the protorelic quest, and there are a few VR battles I didn't complete. But I completed the game at level 50, literally leaving up when I finished the last battle. So to reach level 70 in your first playthrough, well get to grinding I guess

My Queen’s Blood deck got me all the way to the final battle, but I’d need a completely new deck to triumph over the last one so I think I’m going to call it there. Definitely hitting the point where I’m feeling “good enough” on these side activities. I have 59 Johnny treasures already, so I definitely have been quite thorough in general. Aside from the protorelic stuff, which I’m still locked out of in Corel, I think I’m going to be heading back to the main quest. I’m sitting at 82 hours currently and I’m eager to start wrapping this up.

Three hours tonight and I think I'm nearly finished with the grasslands outside of Kalm. Nearly ten hours in, now. It feels like there's maybe one or two too many kinds of open world activities? It feels a little checklist-y at times. I'm definitely having fun though. The music is incredible, by the way.

Three hours tonight and I think I'm nearly finished with the grasslands outside of Kalm. Nearly ten hours in, now. It feels like there's maybe one or two too many kinds of open world activities? It feels a little checklist-y at times. I'm definitely having fun though. The music is incredible, by the way.
All the activities stay there forever and you can generally travel back when you want unless you're in a story moment/dungeon so don't feel like you have to do everything all in one go, so you can do the ones you feel like and go and do more later etc...

I triggered the final side quest, but the G-Bike hi score seemingly won’t register possibly since I had a higher score than the challenge one, so I guess l won’t be beating all of the side quests. Oh well off to fight Gilgamesh and then I’m heading toward the end.

Edit: Was running out of time tonight and decided to head towards the end ultimately next. More excited to see the story through than conquer the extra tough fights.

I checked out Gilgamesh’s island. I heard you fought two summons at once, but didn’t know it’d ultimately be all of them. I was doing really well on the Bahamut and Titan fight which was the first one I picked, but I just barely missed the second stagger I needed for Bahamut so he got off a Giga Flare. Felt bad since if I best him I knew Titan would go down quick. I have Bahamut and Titan on Cloud and Tifa so that didn’t help there haha. Just thinking about a double summon fight with Odin sounded very unappealing tonight so I’d rather see the ending first and then I can decide if I want to bother with Gilgamesh. Love that guy, but I did beat him twice already while gathering the protorelics so maybe that’s good enough for me. I do have a separate save there for it, so it’d be easy to do it another time if I want.

Last edited:

I actually thought there should be one or two more types of activities in the open world because the ones we have now a very similar. My main issue with the open world segments is that they are definitely icon driven. You go to a tower, a bunch of icons pop up on your map, fucking Chadley chimes in without giving any important information, you go to the locations, go to another tower, repeat. The world is beautiful but it lacks a lot of noticeable landmarks to drive your interests in specific directions. Instead of all the mini games, I wish the devs could have added more to the open world. Maybe some mini dungeons where you can get cool equipment or a Shinra base to clear out. Something.

What it's in the game is still fun but if Rebirth was judged solely for its open world and associated activities, I don't think it would be nearly as praised. Thankfully the open world portions are connected to linear story segments so the open world is more of an opportunity to "cool off" between the narrative, rather than the central feature of the game.

Man, chocobo racing rules. I just played sonic frontiers which also had a lot of mini games. The difference here is I felt that most of those were poor, while most of these feel very fleshed out and well made.

It is definitely a big checklist...but...I find most of it pretty satisfying! I think the soundtrack being banger after banger really helps all of it feel less rote than it is.

I started playing earlier today and wanted to give the final side quest and the extra tough fights another shot since I had a back up save. I’m glad I did even if both thwarted me and I accidentally saved over my other file (whoops) because in the final side quest while I’m unsure if the glitch was still in effect I tried the other activities and learned the Final Fantasy XIII-2 metal chocobo theme is in the game lol and the tonberry arena fight is brutal. I switched then to the extra tough fights and I tried about five times before giving up when I believe I encountered a glitch where Bahamut became invulnerable. I don’t believe that was a mechanic of the fight and it was a shame since that round was going so well. But regardless of how disappointing that was, I was relieved when I noticed the recommended level was 68 which is significantly higher than 48 where I’m at. Now I’m amazed at how well I did and I feel much more comfortable setting out to the end of the game at this point with the last of my lingering regrets taken care of.

Edit: Unless the activity tracker is off, Chapter 13 is big! I just fought Reno and Rude. Felt like I made major progress, but I have a long way to go.

Last edited:
Finally got back to the main story and finished chapter 4 amd 5 yesterday.

As someone who has really enjoyed Queen's Blood, the tournament was great. I actually found Chadley to be more challenging than Regina - it took me at least 5 tries to beat him, while it only took me 2 tries with Regina.

After that, Red XIII had me dying. Did he actually moonwalk? This game can get really goofy, but I love those moments.

Welp, I stopped playing after 102 hours because the latest update broke last side quest. Hope they fix it soon.

does the game seem to crash more after the update? as soon as i use aerith for too long in a fight the game crashes
I had my first crash (and first glitches) after the patch in the new area in Chapter 12. Hadn’t crashed before then.

I had my first crash (and first glitches) after the patch in the new area in Chapter 12. Hadn’t crashed before then.
it crashed very infrequently until i got to chapter 12, after i completed it, it does it all the time :( im trying to do the chocobo side quest in cosmo canyon and it keeps crashing now too. super frustrating especially now that im adamant to try and complete as much side stuff as the game allows before finishing off the story

I’ve now done everything you can do in chapter two, I think. There might be some Chocobo Stops that I missed. But otherwise everything is cleared out and done in just over twelve hours. I’m ready to head to Junon!

I am really liking this game.

Is there a specific spot where the game has been crashing recently, or is it just all over the place? I'm in chapter 7 and haven't encountered anything like that, so I'm wondering it this is only happening much later in the game?

Is there a specific spot where the game has been crashing recently, or is it just all over the place? I'm in chapter 7 and haven't encountered anything like that, so I'm wondering it this is only happening much later in the game?
yeah it seems to only be towards the end of the game when the whole world becomes open

i actually can’t complete the last protorelic mission because it keeps crashing in the middle of a cutscene
That sucks >.< Sorry pal. Here’s hoping they get a patch out soon!

I’m sure it’ll be fixed by the time my slow butt gets to that point.

That sucks >.< Sorry pal. Here’s hoping they get a patch out soon!

I’m sure it’ll be fixed by the time my slow butt gets to that point.
i hope so man! i have still so much to do before i head to the end, although i have a feeling it’s just gonna keep crashing wherever i am so maybe time to just finish up and come back and do it all during my hard mode run.

I finished Final Fantasy VII Rebirth last night just shy of 94 hours. What a tremendous experience that was with so many awesome characters, great humor, wonderful exploration, engaging combat, and a true buffet of fun minigames. I definitely preferred Remake’s ending over Rebirth’s, but I still had a fun time. There’s more I could do, but I’m satisfied walking away here.

Finished the game the other day, this is up there with the most magical gaming experiences I've had. Definitely a 9+ game that doesn't quite become a 10 because of a few mini game/open world things that are keeping it from being perfect 10, but it's got insanely high highs. It improves a lot from Remake. I've never played a game for 130 hours without getting some burnout, I love RPG's but most of the time 80 hours is pushing it for me.

As for the story;

Is it just me who thinks the story didn't change all that much? It feels like the big story points are still being hit and not a lot has changed except that it's more on a grand scale with Aerith and Sephiroth being more powerful than what they seemed like in the OG.

As for the story;

Is it just me who thinks the story didn't change all that much? It feels like the big story points are still being hit and not a lot has changed except that it's more on a grand scale with Aerith and Sephiroth being more powerful than what they seemed like in the OG.
that definitely seems to be the intention. they've spoken multiple times about wanting to keep the story faithful while also adding a new plot to tide over players with, which this game seems to reinforce. it makes me wonder if this is even going to end any differently from the original game, especially since they've said the trilogy will "link up to Advent Children"

Finished the game the other day, this is up there with the most magical gaming experiences I've had. Definitely a 9+ game that doesn't quite become a 10 because of a few mini game/open world things that are keeping it from being perfect 10, but it's got insanely high highs. It improves a lot from Remake. I've never played a game for 130 hours without getting some burnout, I love RPG's but most of the time 80 hours is pushing it for me.

As for the story;

that definitely seems to be the intention. they've spoken multiple times about wanting to keep the story faithful while also adding a new plot to tide over players with, which this game seems to reinforce. it makes me wonder if this is even going to end any differently from the original game, especially since they've said the trilogy will "link up to Advent Children"
I think Sephiroth's motivations came a bit weak towards the final fight. He's getting stronger because of the "angry emotions" that flow through the Life Stream, instead of just... having people dying in mass because of the Meteor making him absorb the Life Stream.

Why did they had to add the "Feed me with emotions through the Multiverse" thing is beyond me.

Nearly got through chapter three last night. I really like the Remake-style linear levels after so much time spent in the open world. Boss fights were incredible, too. You get to fight the Midgar serpent!!. That got a big grin from me.

I finished chapter 8 last night

The Dyne fight was very well done. It was actually kind of hard because I literally could not figure out how to avoid his "execution" attack where he picks up a bunch of junk and slams it on you. It also doesn't help that the game isn't really balanced around 1v1 fights. Still, I made it through, and the cutscenes after that hit really hard.

It feels like the game hasn't given me the chance to proprely explore the Corel open world sections until now, so I will take care of some loose ends there before I start the main story in chapter 9.

Finally beat Rebirth.

I was starting to be down on the game since chapter 9ish. Inconsistent tone and terribly paced in areas was making it tedious. So I stop at chapter 12 and took a big back since it was a point of no return I guess.

So after 2 weeks. I came back fresh and beat it in a few hours. And that was certainly an ending, I’m on the side of disappointing, felt like an ending that was better saved for the final game.

FFVII has never been a fantastically written game or story. But I feel the remakes have worst re-enactments than the original, which is surprising since Remake has such a better advantage. Sometimes less is more. And while Rebirth did its part on fan favorite scenes.
The ending left out an iconic part of the original because it felt like they didn’t want to fully commit for the next game!

And Ghost whispers continue to be the dumbest thing in these remakes. Like Rebirth doesn’t have them nearly as much as Remake and when they do appear, they don’t add anything at all! Practically every scene could’ve played out the same way as shown without them, bar like 2 scenes. Either the 3rd game is gonna have some major revelations Or they’re just there for scenery and Sephirothness.

why was he the final boss again lol, like I was expecting it since they forced a Jenova fight already in remake and of course original jenova fight on the ship. So I felt no way they’ll end it like the original since they couldn’t do that in remake. But like it’s suppose to be emotional maybe it’ll work. But man that fight dragged on and on and on. And then you get some fan service team ups, combine with Sephiroth’s strange monologues. I came away thinking Remake’s ending was better lol. That was a disappointing fight, but it could be real funny if part 3’s final fight isn’t Sephiroth. They should do that for the laughs, also. This is a nitpick really, but the team combinations at the fights sucked lol, I expected the game to force you to use everyone, but man let me balance it out.

All and all. I think Remake is the better game. And Rebirth is pretty good, but had potential to be great (personally). Don’t think Remake is great either to be fair. This is more of a preference in choice.

One last thing!
yo they brought back everyone and I’m surprised Leslie didn’t returned lol

I definitely think they're saving

the iconic shot of Cloud lowering Aerith into the water for Part 3. I’m guessing Cloud is blocking that out mentally and we’ll end up seeing that a flashback next time after he snaps out of it.

I definitely think they're saving

the iconic shot of Cloud lowering Aerith into the water for Part 3. I’m guessing Cloud is blocking that out mentally and we’ll end up seeing that a flashback next time after he snaps out of it.
I was thinking the same honeslty.

Just thought it would’ve been the ending too “do” here.

Finally beat Rebirth.

I was starting to be down on the game since chapter 9ish. Inconsistent tone and terribly paced in areas was making it tedious. So I stop at chapter 12 and took a big back since it was a point of no return I guess.

So after 2 weeks. I came back fresh and beat it in a few hours. And that was certainly an ending, I’m on the side of disappointing, felt like an ending that was better saved for the final game.

FFVII has never been a fantastically written game or story. But I feel the remakes have worst re-enactments than the original, which is surprising since Remake has such a better advantage. Sometimes less is more. And while Rebirth did its part on fan favorite scenes.
The ending left out an iconic part of the original because it felt like they didn’t want to fully commit for the next game!

And Ghost whispers continue to be the dumbest thing in these remakes. Like Rebirth doesn’t have them nearly as much as Remake and when they do appear, they don’t add anything at all! Practically every scene could’ve played out the same way as shown without them, bar like 2 scenes. Either the 3rd game is gonna have some major revelations Or they’re just there for scenery and Sephirothness.

why was he the final boss again lol, like I was expecting it since they forced a Jenova fight already in remake and of course original jenova fight on the ship. So I felt no way they’ll end it like the original since they couldn’t do that in remake. But like it’s suppose to be emotional maybe it’ll work. But man that fight dragged on and on and on. And then you get some fan service team ups, combine with Sephiroth’s strange monologues. I came away thinking Remake’s ending was better lol. That was a disappointing fight, but it could be real funny if part 3’s final fight isn’t Sephiroth. They should do that for the laughs, also. This is a nitpick really, but the team combinations at the fights sucked lol, I expected the game to force you to use everyone, but man let me balance it out.

All and all. I think Remake is the better game. And Rebirth is pretty good, but had potential to be great (personally). Don’t think Remake is great either to be fair. This is more of a preference in choice.

One last thing!
yo they brought back everyone and I’m surprised Leslie didn’t returned lol
oh man, without reading any of the spoilers this has me super nervous. i was walking on the bridge to the temple of the ancients and i turned my ps5 off. i actually don’t wanna finish the game right now lol. im gonna just keep getting my ass handed to me by odin and beat all the other challenges and that final side quest first. luckily i have a save from just before docking.

oh man, without reading any of the spoilers this has me super nervous. i was walking on the bridge to the temple of the ancients and i turned my ps5 off. i actually don’t wanna finish the game right now lol. im gonna just keep getting my ass handed to me by odin and beat all the other challenges and that final side quest first. luckily i have a save from just before docking.
Nah. I don’t think you should be nervous. It’s just when it comes to pacing. I get very nitpicky lol.

I still think the game is worth playing and experiencing if you’re into action RPGs. The Devs did a great job overall

Just finished the game five minutes ago. It's excellent, but...I'm disappointed with the ending. I had a similar experience with Remake, but I think it's worse here. To be clear, I actually prefer Rebirth. It just didn't really stick the landing, imo.

I haven’t posted here yet but I’ve sunk 100+ hours into this game over the past three weeks. Finished the main story a week ago.

I cannot believe Square pulled this off. The combat, the characters, the cutscenes, the sense of scale and adventure, the mini games, the MUSIC, the silliness. It’s just the complete package. What an incredible game.

I even like the ending the more I sit on it. I’m definitely more eager and excited for Part 3 now than I was for Part 2 at the end of Remake.

Back
Top Bottom