• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Final Fantasy VII Rebirth |ST| "Don't fight here... you'll ruin the yellow paint!"

This is PS5 exclusive through the end of May, right? Is there any reason to expect a Steam release shortly after that? I know Remake took forever but it had an EGS deal and was a much longer PS5 exclusive, and Crisis Core Reunion launched on Steam.

I haven't played Remake so when Rebirth comes to PC I want to play both back to back. Hopefully this year.

I don't think we've gotten word yet for other platforms. I remember we were expecting Remake to reach PC/Xbox a year after PS4, but PC ended up taking longer and Xbox still hasn't even seen the game. We'll have to see how this goes.

I don't think we've gotten word yet for other platforms. I remember we were expecting Remake to reach PC/Xbox a year after PS4, but PC ended up taking longer and Xbox still hasn't even seen the game. We'll have to see how this goes.

Switch 2 is an entirely new player in the game, when Switch (1) clearly wasn’t viable. I’m waiting until I get a sense of what Square plans to do on the new platform before I cave to buy a PS5 for basically one game.

I’d also much rather play a game people are saying is 100+ hours on a hybrid device.

Switch 2 is an entirely new player in the game, when Switch (1) clearly wasn’t viable. I’m waiting until I get a sense of what Square plans to do on the new platform before I cave to buy a PS5 for basically one game.

I’d also much rather play a game people are saying is 100+ hours on a hybrid device.
Yeah, Switch 2 will also be a question. The game is clearly taking advantage of PS5 hardware here and would probably end up looking pretty choppy on PS4, so we'll have to see how Nintendo's next console holds up in comparison.

People already not liking the ending doesn’t bode well for me enjoying the game’s story again, time to hear if it’s worth playing or if its more FF7 Compilation Multimedia material that’s easily safe to ignore!

People already not liking the ending doesn’t bode well for me enjoying the game’s story again, time to hear if it’s worth playing or if its more FF7 Compilation Multimedia material that’s easily safe to ignore!

I’m a weirdo that started FF from VIII, has zero nostalgia for VII and is just enamored with what the team is making. It’s up there with IX as my favorite now.

I’m very curious how I’ll feel when I finally get around to this one.

Seems like people are really questioning the ending, even some of the more glowing reviews. I'm really curious to see what happens. Avoiding spoilers for a 50+ hour game is gonna be a pain.

I’m a weirdo that started FF from VIII, has zero nostalgia for VII and is just enamored with what the team is making. It’s up there with IX as my favorite now.

I’m very curious how I’ll feel when I finally get around to this one.
I don't think it's weird at all! The series has been around so long, everyone has different jumping in points I imagine.

To remain civil, I won't discuss how I feel about the plot machinations of the past decades, and simply say they left me at FFX- and Triangle Strategy and the 2DHD camp are more my style.

Seems like people are really questioning the ending, even some of the more glowing reviews. I'm really curious to see what happens. Avoiding spoilers for a 50+ hour game is gonna be a pain.
After the release of Advent Children and Crisis Core, I don't care about spoilers in Final Fantasy games, they actively save me money. 😂

My one singular worry for Rebirth was always too drastic changes, something that truly irked me in Remake. But on the other hand, it does make things more “unpredictable” in a sort of exciting way.

My hype level is  unreal! But the big question is this: Will I finish P3 Reload before this drops??

I have P3 Reload, In Stars And Time, Apollo Justice, a new Last of Us file and Splatoon 3’s campaign/octo expansion all either recently started or half-finished and I’ve just gone ahahahahahahahaha no.

Getting really nervous about spoilers. Gonna start my self-imposed exile from all FFVII discussions for the next month or so. I'll see you all on the flip side!

As groundbreaking as this game might be, I just can't bring myself to purchase a PS5 just to play this. I'll wait for PC.

Fantastic ST. I thought of bringing the initial DF video to the thread for those interested.

This is more of a first look, till Chapter 2 because of embargos. Next week is the full one.

Some highlights:
  • Performance Mode is 60fps, with some dips in towns and fight sequences (summons, specials, etc)
  • Quality Mode is 30 fps lock, rare dips here and there.
  • IQ on Performance is soft even with the new patch. On quality, internally is close to 4k, there are areas where is not as sharp
  • It does not use any current gen rendering tech.
  • Lighting looks flat is places and shadows are inconsistent.

I intended to replay the OG before diving into Rebirth - given the nature of the remakes I really wanted the original fresh in my mind - but as is typical for me I've left it kinda late. Still, I've started on Switch (just about to storm Shinra HQ) and I'm loving the 3x speed option. What a godsend.

Can't imagine I'll be done in time for the launch but definitely looking forward to when I do get to dive into Rebirth.

3 days.

Can’t believe that I will be holding this game in my hand in 3 FREAKING DAYS.

Game hype is so interesting in the way that it messes with time. After playing the demo, it felt like this would be the slowest month of all time, and then out of nowhere, the days just fly by, and now it feels alarmingly close to the point of like, almost not being prepared.

EDIT: 2 days now. Played another round of Nibelheim yesterday. This game truly hits the soul.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is out now
48F5RNd.png

THOSE DESTINED FOR REBIRTH DO NOT FEAR THE UNKNOWN.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is out now beginning at Midnight Local Time - February 29th 2024.

As the game starts to roll out its release starting with major territories including NZ, Australia and Japan in the next few hours and around the world over the next day, please be considerate of spoilers and most of all, enjoy the rebirth of an unwritten adventure.

7IsNbDu.png

Last edited:
It should unlock at 10pm for me, but considering I've been sick, I'll most likely be asleep already. And then I still have to work tomorrow. 😭

But I did get Friday off, so once I'm done tomorrow it's full speed ahead!

I’m very tempted to cancel the preorder and pull an all-nighter but there’s just something inherently magical to pick up a physical copy and clutch it in your bag on the train ride home while erupting from inside.

I’m very tempted to cancel the preorder and pull an all-nighter but there’s just something inherently magical to pick up a physical copy and clutch it in your bag on the train ride home while erupting from inside.
yes, picking up my physical deluxe edition in the morning too

Aaarg, the one time in recent years when I think for a highly anticipated game "I'm fine if I receive this one even a day late or something, I have a still 10 hours or so of Persona 3 Reload to finish it", I receive FFVII Rebirth a day early !!
Will be very hard to not play it until I finish Persona.

Still, cool to get it early. Reminds me of the good late 2000s/early 2010s days when Amazon and such gave no fuck and you could receive your game 3 days (or more !) ahead of release lmao

Aaarg, the one time in recent years when I think for a highly anticipated game "I'm fine if I receive this one even a day late or something, I have a still 10 hours or so of Persona 3 Reload to finish it", I receive FFVII Rebirth a day early !!
Will be very hard to not play it until I finish Persona.

Still, cool to get it early. Reminds me of the good late 2000s/early 2010s days when Amazon and such gave no fuck and you could receive your game 3 days (or more !) ahead of release lmao
on the one hand, I’m jealous you got it early. on the other hand, I’m in the same boat as you, with ten hours to go in TLoU Part II. I probably won’t be able to start Rebirth until like, Monday 🥺

Due to a printing error in the manufacturing process at Sony on Japan & Asia region discs, the play and data discs are labeled incorrectly.
For copies of the game in the Japan and Asia region, the Play Disc should be inserted first, while the data disc should be inserted second and whenever playing the game. At this stage, there is no word if other regions discs have been affected.
FF7R-Disc-Mislabel_02-28-24_EN-1280x720.jpg

Might cancel my deluxe preorder and just grab a standard copy while working tomorrow, especially Amazon still hasn't given me a date yet

I don't think I'm going to finish Intermission before this goes live. Oh well...at least I got to see them make Fort Condor kind of fun for the first time ever.

One thing I'm very curious about is how they handle Cid's characterization here. They didn't show much in pre-release material.

One thing I'm very curious about is how they handle Cid's characterization here. They didn't show much in pre-release material.

Very curious about that as well. In the OG, he got pretty mangled by the localization, so I hope they do him justice this time.

Apologies for double post again but needs to be said: spoiler thumbnails are aplenty now. Just got hit by one. If you’re like me, and have devoured Rebirth trailers and reviews, no algorithm is safe.

Man, I just want to sleep until the game unlocks. Gonna be hard to hold out until tomorrow.

My post office has the game but it still says it's not arriving until tomorrow. Does anyone know if (in the US) you can just drive to the post office to pick something up before it comes to your house?

My boss is letting me work from home tomorrow. Not sure how much work I'll be getting done though lol

In theory, I could play during down time at work tomorrow on my PS Portal, but I kinda want to experience as much of the game on a big screen as I can. Decisions, decisions.

on the one hand, I’m jealous you got it early. on the other hand, I’m in the same boat as you, with ten hours to go in TLoU Part II. I probably won’t be able to start Rebirth until like, Monday 🥺
I'm also playing TLOU 2 ! But this one I won't wait to finish it too to start FF7, already hard enough to wait haha

Played a couple hours this morning before work.

Having come from a fresh Remake replay over the weekend, the performance mode graphics in Rebirth are very rough.

Just finished the second part of the demo. Realistically, I shouldn't buy this right now but I'm tempted, big time.

2 minutes.

Blasting Airbuster music.

Fucking hell.

I’m not prepared. Or am I? AM I?

This is surreal.
Unreal.

gotygotygoty

1 minute
Can’t. Just can’t.

TWENTY SECONDS
GOTYGOTYGOTYGOTY

(Yes? Perhaps one energy drink too much)

Ten nine eight seven six five four three two one

IM’ INNN!! See you soon, Fami!!

Probably gonna take some Advil PMs around 8 so I can go to bed + wake up early and play. It's funny considering I think the OG FF7 is just decent (I'm more of a 6 fanboy) and Remake could have been great if it was shorter/had less padding, but hearing so much positive hype, enjoying open world RPGs, and the fact that we finally have a mainline FF passing 90 on Metacritic again has me ready for this.

Couldn't pick it up til this afternoon, but its installing now (off the two discs) - artbook is mini sized hardcover in deluxe edition

Some early impressions:

1. I’ve lost count how many beers this game has asked every other modern FF game - or a lot of modern JRPGs for that matter - to hold. Everything is just world class, cutscene direction, world building, combat, attention to detail…

2. I just am in awe of how good they’ve realised every character. They made good on them in Remake, but they still were a pretty distant bunch, in Rebirth they really get to grow as a legit team in so many cool ways.

3. Game’s beautiful, I admit that I have a poor eye for graphics, tech and fidelity, but I’m just stunned. Music goes sooooooo hard, but that is to be expected.

4. I haven’t dared to touch Queen’s Blood, I just know that I run the risk of becoming addicted, haha.

5. I guess that the only thing I’m not too hot on is the open world stuff. Activities aren’t too interesting in my opinion.

New combat is rad, so many more options, anti-air was sorely needed. Open world while overplayed for some, is still largely fun enough for me when exploration is fun. And I kind of got very tired of the hallways and slow climbing/interactable in FF7R1.

The best part of the remakes is how its still allowed to be so bold and goofy. These moments really make FF so Its heartening to see stuff like the minigames, clouds dress up etc all be made in to big fun stupid spectacles.

The plot changes are whatever, I don't mind change, seeing more of Jesse and the upper plate was excellent. Yuffie getting her own new intro was fantastic. But I do find some of the additions to be overly-meta and self-indulgent. I guess it depends if they can make me come around to it by the end. But so far I don't find the "fighting destiny" or implied world stuff very clever or engaging and can't really see it come together, or me be invested enough in it without a substantial interquel between 2 and 3. It sure is novel and keeping people guessing though. Maybe that sells copies.

Did I wake up an hour early to play, or because I'm still a little sick? Probably the latter but I'm gonna play before work anyway.

The best part of the remakes is how its still allowed to be so bold and goofy.

I agree on this, FF as a whole really shines when it shows some goof. XII, XIII and XVI are great for what they are, but they’re all quite self-serious.

Back
Top Bottom