• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Final Fantasy VII Rebirth |ST| "Don't fight here... you'll ruin the yellow paint!"

My screen keeps turning bright white whenever a light appears on screen? No one else seems to be having this problem because I can’t find anything else online about this. Not sure how to fix it, it’s making the game unplayable. I might request a refund

Only managed to play an hour before work, which, with skipping the chunk of the flashback, put me just after the flashback. Can't wait to continue after work.

Another thought I keep coming back to is that while other fantastic remakes tend to nail how the original game looked, Rebirth nails how the original Final Fantasy VII felt.

Like, OG FFVII back in the 90’s felt like you were on this grand journey, together with a rag-tag band of characters all strung together by unexpected events, where you kept going to traverse the unknown world before you, all while participating and taking part in an engrossing and enthralling storyline that spoke of love, sadness and friendship.

When I first entered the grasslands last night after spending an ample amount of time in Kalm, I realized that Rebirth just feels exactly like that.

I snuck in a little time on my PS Portal and I can already tell this game will consume my life.

Queen's Blood is fun oh no.

10 hours in, done nothing story-related, been playing Queen's blood & filling intel, this game is amazing omg

Another thought I keep coming back to is that while other fantastic remakes tend to nail how the original game looked, Rebirth nails how the original Final Fantasy VII felt.

Like, OG FFVII back in the 90’s felt like you were on this grand journey, together with a rag-tag band of characters all strung together by unexpected events, where you kept going to traverse the unknown world before you, all while participating and taking part in an engrossing and enthralling storyline that spoke of love, sadness and friendship.

When I first entered the grasslands last night after spending an ample amount of time in Kalm, I realized that Rebirth just feels exactly like that.
its the game you imagined you were playing as a kid.

more remakes should be like that imo

Man I know TotK really fucked with my head when I'm scared for half a second whenever I spam the button to pickup resources thinking Tifa is about to blow them away or something as she hovers over me.

It is absolutely unreal how much stuff there is to do in this game. I just met Chadley and things have suddenly gotten wild.

Been playing for a whole evening and absolutely in love with it. Can we please just keep this battle system going forward with FF. So much better than the battles in FFXVI.

Idk, there's a lot of not-Queen's Blood going on in this game and I'm not sure how to feel about it

On a serious note, it's pretty fun so far. Combat is an improvement over Remake's excellent foundation (love the expanded aerial options especially), and traversal while moderately janky is still an improvement as well.

I'm mixed on the open world, there doesn't seem like there's much to do that isn't the designated Chadley activities but that could definitely change. In general though it does feels a bit empty. But ultimately even if it does just serve as some pretty scenery between combat that's probably good enough

Haven't done a sidequest to completion yet but I've started a handful and they already seem stronger than Remake's offerings (though that's a very low bar)

Junon is cracking me up, haha.

Clear highlight so far.

Idk, there's a lot of not-Queen's Blood going on in this game and I'm not sure how to feel about it

On a serious note, it's pretty fun so far. Combat is an improvement over Remake's excellent foundation (love the expanded aerial options especially), and traversal while moderately janky is still an improvement as well.

I'm mixed on the open world, there doesn't seem like there's much to do that isn't the designated Chadley activities but that could definitely change. In general though it does feels a bit empty. But ultimately even if it does just serve as some pretty scenery between combat that's probably good enough

Haven't done a sidequest to completion yet but I've started a handful and they already seem stronger than Remake's offerings (though that's a very low bar)

I know it’s a real hard thing to balance, but I miss some bigger enemy density. I know the idea is that you’re supposed to “grind” by doing open world activities, but I find it so fun to just fight mobs with this battle system.

I know it’s a real hard thing to balance, but I miss some bigger enemy density. I know the idea is that you’re supposed to “grind” by doing open world activities, but I find it so fun to just fight mobs with this battle system.
Bigger enemy densities also help make the world feel more alive, imo. I guess Fiends may not be supposed to be natural parts of the ecosystem (haven't played the OG so going off what they say here) but it feels weird to just have them in distinct spots instead of a more organic spread

I snuck in a little time on my PS Portal and I can already tell this game will consume my life.

Queen's Blood is fun oh no.

I held off for a good while, but I started to play Queen’s Blood this morning and “oh no, it’s fun” was exactly my reaction, haha.

It’s so simple but efficient in its complexity and rests on such a solid and engaging foundation. This is truly an “hours passing by” minigame.

I held off for a good while, but I started to play Queen’s Blood this morning and “oh no, it’s fun” was exactly my reaction, haha.

It’s so simple but efficient in its complexity and rests on such a solid and engaging foundation. This is truly an “hours passing by” minigame.
yeah i uh spent almost 3 hours playing queens blood in kalm, and that was because i kept getting my ass handed to me by mr. cuddlesworth.

yeah i uh spent almost 3 hours playing queens blood in kalm, and that was because i kept getting my ass handed to me by mr. cuddlesworth.
haha omg me too - lost 3 or 4 times... not sure im really across it yet but its fun

After having spent more time in the Junon region, the open world stuff is starting to grow on me. It’s a cool loop and the locations are impressive, I think the chocobos in that region helps the exploration feel engaging too. It feels rewarding to gather area intel and see it transform into materia.

Right now, I’d say that my bigger gripe is some of the combat stuff and systems. I really can’t seem to get the hang of synergy abilities/combos and make them fit into the flow. The weapon upgrade system feels way more cumbersome now than in Remake, getting abilities and just the overall tinkering with the characters in the menus is clunky to me, and skill trees basically puts me to sleep. I’m sure some of it will become second nature over time as more depth and options will be available, but right now I feel an alarming sense of “why bother”.

My only gripe is graphics. But I realize that if we want game development to take less time and become more sustainable, not every game can look like horizon forbidden west, and that’s okay..

Otherwise, now that it works (my ps5 was dying which was causing the crashes, replaced it with a slim last night), it’s great. I love the commradery of the cast, the chemistry between cloud and tifa especially. Kalm, and now the grasslands have been amazing. They are taking me back to when I beat ff7 for the first time. These 3d enviroments are doing a great job of capturing the vibe of those pre-rendered back drops. I spent so much time exploring every inch of kalm, I just want to live there.

Red XIII quickly became my favorite character to play, but it didn't hit me until recently WHY that was.

He's basically a Prowler from Monster Hunter Generations (Ultimate). He parries (and builds meter) like a Shield Prowler, and the way Vengeance Mode operates is not unlike Beast Mode. No wonder I love him so much!

And then I'm reminded that Teruki Endo worked on MH Generations and World before he was poached by Square Enix, and it only makes that much more sense.

Edit: nvm, you could skip it.

Chapter 5 spoiler

The Regina QB match, after around 30 tries, I considered a refund

Last edited:
I bought Pokémon Legends: Arceus in January and am almost finished with it. I bought Persona 3 Reload but now Rebirth is out. It's good that their aren't too many big games on the horizon for 2024 because my gaming schedule is gonna be booked for a while.

No clue if im actually good or lucky (probably the latter) but I beat him first try

The guy I’m supppsed to win the card back for the bartender has been my real Queen’s Blood roadblock. Will probably want to revisit him when I have some better cards and more experience with the game.

No clue if im actually good or lucky (probably the latter) but I beat him first try
my first two games were for sure flukes, like i knew what i was doing but wasn’t sure if what i was playing would work. to beat the doll, i had to think about what i was doing

I can’t stress enough how awesome the “wait, this hour-long section was literally two pre-rendered backgrounds and ten minutes of dialogue in the OG” effect is.

Nine and a half hours in (or so) and I made it to the Junon region.

I can't possibly see anything else coming out this year topping my personal GotY list.

Nine and a half hours in (or so) and I made it to the Junon region.

I can't possibly see anything else coming out this year topping my personal GotY list.
8 hours in and i’ve not even fought the zolom yet. absolutely phenomenal game, packed with so much stuff to do!

It took me two matches to full wrap my head around Queens Blood, but I love it. That card game is going to be addicting.

Well I finally got a chance, despite a busy week of work during tax season, to sit down in front of my PS5 and finally give FF7R a try. I really had fun playing Yuffie, and I can't wait to see her with the rest of the gang when I start Rebirth tomorrow 🤪

Okay, I have another serious issue that is causing me great trouble. Some of the fight and boss fight music is just so freaking good that it's making it actively hard to focus on the battles, haha. Last night I encountered a boss where I just ran around and dodged attacks for a full minute just to vibe.

Okay, I have another serious issue that is causing me great trouble. Some of the fight and boss fight music is just so freaking good that it's making it actively hard to focus on the battles, haha. Last night I encountered a boss where I just ran around and dodged attacks for a full minute just to vibe.

I've been struggling to find any JRPG to come close to the 14, FF7R(emake and ebirth), 16, Xenoblade 2, and Octopath 1/2 scores in recent years..Not even finished Rebirth but it is top tier music.

I have a very important PSA for Chapter 9. (The one after Gold Saucer) where you play a specific minigame (Barrett car chase)after two boss fights. Losing the minigame gives you the options to retry, and you can select “before boss fight” and “return to checkpoint”. Thing is, the boss fight before the minigame and the minigame boss fight both have the same name, so I picked before the boss fight, but I returned to before one of the two real bosses. Thinking I missed something, I selected return to checkpoint, and then I returned all the way back to before the two boss fights and also before the story moments too.

Sigh.

Just selected “return to checkpoint” and presto, 2.5 hours of lost progress… (edit: Maybe closer to 1 hour, but some boss battles do indeed feel like they go on forever)

Anyway, if you fail that minigame, be careful!

Last edited:
I've been struggling to find any JRPG to come close to the 14, FF7R(emake and ebirth), 16, Xenoblade 2, and Octopath 1/2 scores in recent years..Not even finished Rebirth but it is top tier music.
that version of Hollow outside of Kalm is awesome (just in the early days so far) - listened to the mini soundtrack that came with the game which was all great too - really great as per usual

that version of Hollow outside of Kalm is awesome (just in the early days so far) - listened to the mini soundtrack that came with the game which was all great too - really great as per usual

Oh yeah, I did that area too!

The soundtrack keeps blowing my mind to pieces time and time again. Like, I know that they’re working off of FFVII melodies already, but Rebirth sets the tone, atmosphere and emotion of the scenes and scenarios with music alone in a way that for sure is reminiscent of how the Uematsu-era FF’s worked when it came to just bring maximum feels.

Okay so my start of 7 Rebirth is even more delayed, I'm downloading the demo so I can have a save for the bonuses, and I had to start 7 remake ps5 for 5 seconds to get a save for the Leviathan materia.

No way I'm missing out on bonuses!

2017 was such a crazy year for video game soundtracks.

So what exactly do I need to do to fill up the little blue meter ticks for the bigger synergy abilities? Not sure if I need to spam the simpler R1 abilities or fill my ATB all the way or there’s something else I’m missing?

Ugh, had my first soft lock. I was running around the open world when fucking Chadly called. The camera moved to underneath Cloud and looked straight up his butt, with the sky phasing in out as the character model boded about. It remained stuck there after the dialogue ended. I could hit skip the cutscene but then I just got an endless load screen. Had to close the game entirely and reload from an autosave.

30 hours in still in chapter 4, I have been falling in love with all the side content (some of the side quests are also really funny) this is shaping up to be one of my favorite gaming experiences in a while, what's everyone's party setup btw, just curious

As someone who has had 150 hours into Witcher 3 but has grown to hate that game, Rebirth feel to me like Witcher 3 but fun. Open world design feels very inspired by it to me. Only in this game the combat is actually good.

(Also made me realize Witcher 3 is 9 years old and that made me felt really old suddenly... Also FF7 remake was announced 9 years ago I think, crazy !)

30 hours in still in chapter 4, I have been falling in love with all the side content (some of the side quests are also really funny) this is shaping up to be one of my favorite gaming experiences in a while, what's everyone's party setup btw, just curious

Oh dang, really taking your time! I’m at 35 hours and just reached chapter 11.

I should really slow down and spread out my playtime more. I feel like this is not really a binge-game, it feels to me like I’m sort of supposed to play it in chunks and take it all in and digest what I’ve been playing in between sessions. But I just can’t help it. I’m in total page-turner mode and just can’t wait to see what stunning reinterpretation of a classic scene is waiting around the corner.

My party is Cloud, Barrett and Aerith by the way. I prefer ranged attacks and it’s good to have Cloud as a tank while the other two provide support from afar.

Oh dang, really taking your time! I’m at 35 hours and just reached chapter 11.

I should really slow down and spread out my playtime more. I feel like this is not really a binge-game, it feels to me like I’m sort of supposed to play it in chunks and take it all in and digest what I’ve been playing in between sessions. But I just can’t help it. I’m in total page-turner mode and just can’t wait to see what stunning reinterpretation of a classic scene is waiting around the corner.

My party is Cloud, Barrett and Aerith by the way. I prefer ranged attacks and it’s good to have Cloud as a tank while the other two provide support from afar.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I am playing on easy mode and straight mainlining the story. I need to know how this game plays out. Once I beat it and I unlock hard mode (I'm assuming it unlocks like it did on Remake) I will replay the game and do all the content as it's available as I play.

Back
Top Bottom