• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic F-ZERO 99 |ST| 99 racers collide with the wall, 99 racers collide. "POWER DOWN," 1 crashes out, 98 racers collide with the wall.

Got back to playing this because of the frozen tracks (brrrr...) and it's still so much fun! I love the wintery aesthetics of the Knight League tracks now, really helps put me in the Christmas spirit!

adding snow to the game that's "F-ZERO SNES but secretly fully 3D" was a genius creative decision

As someone who plays the Fire Stingray, these frozen tracks are great! I can completely ignore all the ice patches!

Not at all announced (yet), the game just got a new update adding private lobbies (every mode is selectable).

EDIT: And More!

Mashing two course themes together is a super cool idea; can't wait to see them.

EDIT: According to the patch notes they may already be in the game?

C785vzj.png

the course mashup songs are neat; I wonder if/how that'll translate into mashing up the courses themselves

as much as I like this game already, I can't help feeling like NST could do some really wild stuff if they were allowed to fully break loose and weren't beholden to using tracks/layouts from the first game

Mashing two course themes together is a super cool idea; can't wait to see them.

EDIT: According to the patch notes they may already be in the game?

C785vzj.png

I would imagine this is where that White Land/Death Wind mashup stage went that I assumed was for the winter event. And considering there's 4, there will probably be the reverse as well.
(EDIT: from what LuigiBlood posted, it seems my hunch was right, the one that was datamined a while back was an early version. But 2 of them either don't have mashup music currently or are not mashup tracks, I can't really tell.)
There's Big Blue and Mute City mystery tracks here, but only one of the Mute City tracks fits Fire Field's aesthetics like the music. I wonder what they're mashed up with, if anything at all. Don't recognize any track gimmicks from something else, but there's clearly something going on in the other Mute City one.

Last edited:
Yooo private lobbies 👀

I'm gonna ignore those tweets about the new songs so I can hear them myself in game.

Fake edit: just heard and played on one and holy crap this is amazing!

Okay, I'm really liking the glitchcore course mashup idea. Given the general mood of OG F-Zero, and how they've played it up in 99, makes a lot of sense.

So here's a way to know you'll get a secret track...

On the main menu, wait for the F-Zero 99 icon to flicker. Once it does a couple of times, jump in asap.

I know this thread goes on hibernation off and on but the second ??? secret track is in rotation currently.

It's less exciting than last week's imo but a nice lil remix of Mute City.

So far they are slipping in each track for the week, at least based on last week and how the 2nd one appeared after midnight today my local time.

Maybe after the 4th week it'll just be 100% random?

This week’s(?) track is absolutely fantastic. Hopefully over time we get a cup for these I have really enjoyed the two released so far.

Finally played my first ??? course, and even placed decently in 12th last night.

Shame they only come up once an hour, but hopefully they'll get real names and their own dedicated tournament cup before long

I’m a bit confused by the ??? Tracks, obviously they are different layouts, but are they two tracks combined? I didn’t notice the music being much different either. What am I missing?

I’m a bit confused by the ??? Tracks, obviously they are different layouts, but are they two tracks combined? I didn’t notice the music being much different either. What am I missing?

We have both different layouts (Mute City and Big Blue), and track mashups (White Wind and Fire City). The former reuse normal music, the latter have new music mashups.

I know it's probably me and the time of day (or should I say night) that I often play, but does anyone else have difficulty seeing their lobbies fill up with real racers before just a random assortment of bots fill the empty gaps after the timer counts down?

I know it's probably me and the time of day (or should I say night) that I often play, but does anyone else have difficulty seeing their lobbies fill up with real racers before just a random assortment of bots fill the empty gaps after the timer counts down?
Nah that's basically a constant. Noticed a huge drop off in players as soon as they announced no more permanent tracks would be added.
Game just doesn't have the track variety to keep a player base large enough to consistently fill rooms over something like Mario Kart, which has more tracks, is what most people interested in racing games are probably paying for their online for, and has infinitely more casual draw.
Even the temporary track updates didn't help variety much, we went from a fifth of the tracks being variations of Mute City (3/15) to a quarter of the tracks being variations of Mute City (6/24).

Probably didn't help that the announcement of no major new track updates came basically alongside Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Wave 6.

Last edited:
Apparently the last secret track so far is now in rotation. Actually love the track background from what I'm seeing in videos, they went hard on the "Mute City but on fire" thing.

Hyped for what comes next, honestly. Hoping they add another track and make a league out of this.

Game just doesn't have the track variety to keep a player base large enough to consistently fill rooms over something like Mario Kart, which has more tracks, is what most people interested in racing games are probably paying for their online for, and has infinitely more casual draw.

This is definitely at least part of the problem, yeah. I'd also add the fact people with 99+ wins are still matchmaking with everyone else (I know my partner stopped playing when she realized she was never going to win a single race as long as one of those players were around in her attempts).

We need an Invictus mode for this game, and a wider track selection available on the normal modes. I'd also, again, extend matchmaking time so more human players fall into each lobby.

Yeah overall the game is pretty hard to win now. Mostly the F-Zero diehards are playing. It is what it is.

For me it fills up the most during the Grand Prixs over the weekend.

Rumour is GX Remaster is a thing that’s supposed to happen.
Nate himself said so.
Hopefully we see it in the next direct.

I'm gonna be honest, GX looked spectacular back in the day, but over time I've begun feeling it has some weirdly... inconsistent aesthetics going on. Like, it looks like every 2000s licensed game, if that makes sense. And after F-Zero 99 managing to go full retro 90score scifi, I'd absolutely love to see them trying to play that up in one of the 3D games.

That said, I'm expecting a GX Remaster to actually veer off a lot from the source material. A lot of things GX had, like the arcade version link, will have to be removed due to not being a thing anymore, anyway; and it would be weird to not have online nowadays.

I'm thinking more AW1+2 Reboot Camp and less Metroid Prime Remastered.

I would be curious to see how they handle the controls with digital triggers. I saw a high level video on YouTube from years ago and that made me think "Wow, would the hardcore GX people actually be into a re-release without the analog triggers?"

I would be curious to see how they handle the controls with digital triggers. I saw a high level video on YouTube from years ago and that made me think "Wow, would the hardcore GX people actually be into a re-release without the analog triggers?"
Game Cube controller was trademarked by Nintendo recently I think.

I don't remember the analog triggers on the GC actually having that much of an impact in how GX controlled, honestly. Like, they weren't used for acceleration/braking like in other racing games, they were for drifting, IIRC.

Satellaview tracks incoming?

...that's interesting, actually.

Back
Top Bottom