• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic F-ZERO 99 |ST| 99 racers collide with the wall, 99 racers collide. "POWER DOWN," 1 crashes out, 98 racers collide with the wall.

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
7abf47ff2be4cb7ddee54f347a8dee3780cd7d1075649605d6fbad1bc7bb6bd6

WELCOME TO F-ZERO 99!!

NEWS
New tracks have arrived! The Queen League Grand Prix has been added and some of its tracks added to other modes.

WHAT IS F-ZERO 99?
In the 2010s, Mankind was gripped by the fear that there would never be another F-ZERO game. They referred to the death of F-ZERO as an inevitability. Now, to those of us in this day and age, this sounds like a fairy tale.

It is now the year 2023, and due to Nintendo's countless endeavors in development outsourcing and bolstering their online service, Nintendo's internal framework has expanded to cosmic proportions. Now new games are made all across the world as Nintendo oversees their global development network.

The game designers of Nintendo Software Technology, who toiled for many years to make Mario vs. Donkey Kong games, 3DS ports, and assist with EPD Tokyo projects, yearned for new entertainment to stimulate their team's horrible existence. Their wishes were met by a call for a new project based upon a seemingly simple premise-"Why not hold, on an international online scale, some competition like the F-ZERO races once held on the Super Nintendo decades ago?"

At once, everyone jumped at this idea. Rich development teams from Systems Research and Development and Nintendo Systems invested their precious resources into the construction of network infrastructure.

This network infrastructure was located on Nintendo's notoriously abysmal netcode, held in place by the ActionLibrary game engine used in such games as Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey.

(I'll finish this at some point, probably. Maybe when Nintendo actually adds all the SNES tracks.)

COOL, BUT WHAT IS F-ZERO 99?
F-ZERO 99 is a new online multiplayer F-ZERO game based on the original F-ZERO. 99 concurrent players race for four laps, collecting Super Sparks from collisions to achieve a Super Boost onto the Skyway above. The game is tightly designed with interlocking systems to create a focus on risk and reward to get ahead. All of these systems are secondary, however, to the core execution of racing. Four machines, detailed below as they appeared in the original F-ZERO game, are available to choose from.

In addition to the main F-ZERO 99 mode, at any time the game offers one of the following special modes: Team Battle, in which the group is split in two and vies for points; Pro Tracks, a variation of the main mode in which the more advanced later tracks are available; Mini Prix, in which a group competes across three races, their numbers dwindling across each; and Grand Prix, the main event in which racers compete across five tracks with their numbers dwindling down dramatically.

THE MACHINES & THEIR PILOTS
ZXt0MkD.jpg
The Blue Falcon is a well-rounded machine that does not excel in any particular area. It is accordingly cited as an approachable choice for beginners, but in practice it can be difficult to break out of the pack in tightly-packed F-ZERO 99 races.

In the world of F-ZERO, this machine is piloted by the elusory Captain Falcon, a bounty hunter from Port Town who is believed to be in his mid-thirties, just like the average F-ZERO fan.
hBtYFTf.jpg
The Golden Fox is a demanding machine that favors precise pilots. It is the least durable machine but recovers energy dramatically quicker than the others; these traits combined with its low top speed demands that pilots boost often to stay at the head of the pack.

This machine is owned and piloted by Dr. Robert Stuart, a renowned medical doctor from Mute City whose late father designed and built the machine. The surgical precision demanded by the machine is justified by the game's canon.
EATnKzL.jpg
The Wild Goose is the most durable machine and is accordingly well-suited to aggressive styles of piloting. It is the slowest of the four in recovering energy which heightens the risk and reward of boost timing. In this player's opinion it is the actual best choice for novice players in F-ZERO 99.

Pico, a former soldier from Death Wind, pilots this machine, his cold heart providing the brutal racing style best served by it. In addition to F-ZERO racing, he is also a hit man. Yes, this dude kills people professionally.
RIkZXxi.jpg
The Fire Stingray has the highest top speed of any of the four machines but has a slow acceleration curve. The demand for perfection in piloting is aided by its especially high grip. It is accordingly another very technical choice.

Samurai Goroh is an alleged Japanese-American, his existence implying the ongoing habitation of Earth in the world of F-ZERO. He and his band of thieves hide out in Red Canyon, and it is believed that the machine was stolen.

FAQ
Q: When should I use my Super Boost?

A: This is a topic of much contention. Optimal points of deployment have been identified, but their use in practice is situational. This is also impacted by machine: the Golden Fox, for example, is said by some to rely on its regular boost so much that the Super Boost should be deployed immediately. I strongly recommend that players ask the readers of this thread any strategy questions they may have. I might not personally be of much use, but there are some practiced and accomplished players present.

Q: Will there be more tracks added to the game?
A: All of the tracks from the SNES game are currently in F-ZERO 99, with only some available for play. The full set will enter rotation in October.

Q: Will any Satellaview content be added?
A: There are some dummy files in the game that share names with Satellaview tracks, but these do not necessarily indicate that other tracks will be added to the game.

NOTES & EDIT HISTORY
I've finally updated this thread with some additional content. I think the FAQ section may prove useful in time. To my memory this is actually the first game-specific OT/ST I've ever done, so please excuse the sloppiness in my handling of it. Hopefully Nintendo supports F-ZERO 99 better than I've supported this thread!

Please note that the original title of this thread was, and I quote, "F-ZERO 99 |ST| 99 racers collide with the wall, 99 racers collide. "POWER DOWN," 1 crashes out, 98 racers collide with the wall." If it has been changed then the staff are stifling art in favor of readability and good taste. I will not criticize them for this, but I will resent it quietly.

2023.09.16 15:27: Thread created
2023.09.16 15:31: Changed THE MACHINES & THEIR PILOTS to coming soon; word choice and syntax
2023.09.28 17:02: Filled out THE MACHINES..., added NEWS and FAQ, updates NOTES...
2023.09.28 22:23: Made track additions present tense, attempted to tweak image sizing

Last edited:
in practice the title isn't actually all that long, helped tremendously by the brevity of "F-ZERO 99"

My one 1st place was on Silence at the end of a Grand Prix. Managed numerous 2nd place finishes in standard 99, but will keep searching.

Anyway, it's a right grand little game.

I hope they add in the password match like Tetris 99 so we can jump into the same race....the potential is huge!

this is such a fun multiplayer game, i like it even more than pacman 99 which I thought was awesome. hopefully it gets a physical release at some point like Tetris 99 and they don't shut the servers down

I'm terrible at this, but I can't stop playing, in for some tips and advices.

What a Majestic and creative design idea It Is.

As others have said, for the sharp turns let go of the acceleration and side L or R to tilt left or right so your turns are cleaner. Once you are straight again press B to accelerate.

Ramps will get your spin move back immediately. Pretty nifty for some tracks...also holding forward on a ramp reduces air time and holding back on a ramp increases air time.

Getting a KO will refill and extend your energy meter, which is great for boost power!

That's off the top of my head. The options on the main menu has some of the tips you receive in-between races too.

I'm the one who keeps voting for Big Blue just to hear the music again

I'm not sorry

Finally got around to playing this some today. It definitely feels different from the SNES game, though not as good as the 3D games imo.

No wins yet, or really even gotten close, but I'm not getting last place either which is a dub in my books.

Still haven't gotten a #1 finish but got 2nd and 3rd place a couple times. This game is incredibly fun and addicting, more than I expected honestly when it leaked.

They've officially confirmed the remaining 8 OG F-Zero tracks in Japanese marketing, releasing in two batches: the remaining Queen League tracks in late September, and the remaining King League tracks in mid October. They're all already in the files; and just need to be activated server-side.

While these could always end up being scrapped leftovers of grander ideas, it does seem like there could be more than the original 15 courses coming though; both brand new courses and potentially courses from BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2. Also a fun levelover 3D Mute City I that is definitely from an earlier point in production.

I'm terrible at this, but I can't stop playing, in for some tips and advices.

What a Majestic and creative design idea It Is.
Pressing down right before landing from a jump makes you maintain your speed. Not sure if I've been able to do it consistantly, I need a second brain to race and process all the information on-screen.
Besides that, I sometimes pass on the recharge strip in the first round if it's early on in the track to boost and separate from the group. Like Mario Kart, if you are caught in the mayhem it slows you down a lot, and the small amount of lost energy is compensated by being ahead of the 1st round chaos pack.

If it weren't for TOTK this would easily be my GOTY.

Noobs, remember to hold down when you hit a jump to increase your speed and land properly without damaging your craft, L and R to drift/assist with sharp turns and when you feel comfortable start going for knockouts for the win. Learn the tracks and opportune times to boost. This game rewards the player for being offensive and doing damage while simultaneously playing defensively so you don't crash out... pick your moments.

Some helpful tips here:

Good evening fellow F-Racers.

I finally managed to survive through an entire Grand Prix, albeit poorly. I might have to try a different ship.

Also should I repost the physics guide or just link the original post 🤔

Good evening fellow F-Racers.

I finally managed to survive through an entire Grand Prix, albeit poorly. I might have to try a different ship.

Also should I repost the physics guide or just link the original post 🤔
yeah, please repost so I can either threadmark or quote in the OP

Back by popular demand:

Tangerine Cookie's Amazing F-Zero Physics 101
Or: How the fuck do I turn in this game??

Okay, so for starters. This is your ship. Visualize it in your mind.

XU8NWHV.png

Thanks to future technology magic, your ship is floating above the ground. This means, there is no friction against the ground.

2nQRJfD.png

When you press the acceleration button, your ship fires some fancy-ass rockets in the back. Thanks to the ship levitating, the thrust of these rockets makes it start moving forward.

7KxrQWE.png

When you press left or right, your ship uses some flappy aileron thingies to rotate in place.

j1LrYYg.png

And when you press the shoulder buttons, some undisclosed technology nudges the ship sideways. Likely smaller rockets.

sAauXka.png

With that in mind, let's see how turning in this game works! Here we have our ship, floating over the ground, about to take a corner.

NDVoh5i.png

The accelerator button makes our ship move forward. Pressing right makes our ship turn. But here we're going to find our worst enemy: Inertia, highlighted in green. Inertia is a feature in real world physics that makes things try to keep moving in the same direction they were already moving. It's also why no one backs down in internet arguments.

pBFCXya.png

Now let's think back to all those high school physics classes where everything was ramps in a 2D plane. The acceleration our ship has can be divided into two perpendicular accelerations. With this, we should see where the problem of holding the accelerator button is.

DglwUQQ.png

For the first half of the turn, accelerating is actually making the inertia stronger, and doing more of that than actually making us turn, and will keep doing it until we've gone through roughly half of the turn. Which means, we're probably just going to smash sideways into the corner.

bqXF01q.png

So let's go back again. Let's use the rewind function a bit. We're back at the start of the turn.

NDVoh5i.png

Our first course of action is letting go off the accelerator button, and rotate a bit. Inertia will carry us forward for a bit, but since there's no extra acceleration, the ship will slow down naturally (Even if there's no friction with the floor, there's likely gases and stuff in all those planets that will cause it to stop!). You can't really turn like this, because all the ship has is inertia, and that doesn't quite change just from rotating the ship.

w8kiKmF.png

NOW! With the ship rotated a bit! And carried by a progressively weaker inertia! TAP that accelerator button!! Suddenly we add forward acceleration to the ship, that lasts for a couple seconds, but is already diagonal enough to not help the already weakened inertia!!! WOAH!!!

A9X4uyH.png

Release that accelerator button again, and we're again coasting on inertia, but now it's changed direction, and it's pointing us diagonally! We're going to make this turn! Rotate that ship again!

JdH8lbu.png

And, TAP! The accelerator button! WOW!! We skip making the inertia worse, and add acceleration exactly where we need it! Our ship has now taken the turn, and is ready to win that race!!

QXeaS6L.png

Yes this is extra silly, I'm aware. But it helped me a lot in figuring out how the physics here work. Basically, in a turn, your worst enemy is inertia, and since you're a floating piece of junk, that's harder to reign in. Tapping the accelerator basically boosts a ship coasting on inertia in the right directions. Think: the small rocket boosters NASA spaceships use when trying to precisely dock in space.

If you can visualize this, you can understand how tapping the accelerator differs from just releasing it, or keeping it held, works. And that's the key to handling this game.

Back by popular demand:

Tangerine Cookie's Amazing F-Zero Physics 101
Or: How the fuck do I turn in this game??

Okay, so for starters. This is your ship. Visualize it in your mind.

XU8NWHV.png

Thanks to future technology magic, your ship is floating above the ground. This means, there is no friction against the ground.

2nQRJfD.png

When you press the acceleration button, your ship fires some fancy-ass rockets in the back. Thanks to the ship levitating, the thrust of these rockets makes it start moving forward.

7KxrQWE.png

When you press left or right, your ship uses some flappy aileron thingies to rotate in place.

j1LrYYg.png

And when you press the shoulder buttons, some undisclosed technology nudges the ship sideways. Likely smaller rockets.

sAauXka.png

With that in mind, let's see how turning in this game works! Here we have our ship, floating over the ground, about to take a corner.

NDVoh5i.png

The accelerator button makes our ship move forward. Pressing right makes our ship turn. But here we're going to find our worst enemy: Inertia, highlighted in green. Inertia is a feature in real world physics that makes things try to keep moving in the same direction they were already moving. It's also why no one backs down in internet arguments.

pBFCXya.png

Now let's think back to all those high school physics classes where everything was ramps in a 2D plane. The acceleration our ship has can be divided into two perpendicular accelerations. With this, we should see where the problem of holding the accelerator button is.

DglwUQQ.png

For the first half of the turn, accelerating is actually making the inertia stronger, and doing more of that than actually making us turn, and will keep doing it until we've gone through roughly half of the turn. Which means, we're probably just going to smash sideways into the corner.

bqXF01q.png

So let's go back again. Let's use the rewind function a bit. We're back at the start of the turn.

NDVoh5i.png

Our first course of action is letting go off the accelerator button, and rotate a bit. Inertia will carry us forward for a bit, but since there's no extra acceleration, the ship will slow down naturally (Even if there's no friction with the floor, there's likely gases and stuff in all those planets that will cause it to stop!). You can't really turn like this, because all the ship has is inertia, and that doesn't quite change just from rotating the ship.

w8kiKmF.png

NOW! With the ship rotated a bit! And carried by a progressively weaker inertia! TAP that accelerator button!! Suddenly we add forward acceleration to the ship, that lasts for a couple seconds, but is already diagonal enough to not help the already weakened inertia!!! WOAH!!!

A9X4uyH.png

Release that accelerator button again, and we're again coasting on inertia, but now it's changed direction, and it's pointing us diagonally! We're going to make this turn! Rotate that ship again!

JdH8lbu.png

And, TAP! The accelerator button! WOW!! We skip making the inertia worse, and add acceleration exactly where we need it! Our ship has now taken the turn, and is ready to win that race!!

QXeaS6L.png

Yes this is extra silly, I'm aware. But it helped me a lot in figuring out how the physics here work. Basically, in a turn, your worst enemy is inertia, and since you're a floating piece of junk, that's harder to reign in. Tapping the accelerator basically boosts a ship coasting on inertia in the right directions. Think: the small rocket boosters NASA spaceships use when trying to precisely dock in space.

If you can visualize this, you can understand how tapping the accelerator differs from just releasing it, or keeping it held, works. And that's the key to handling this game.

I've never thought about it, but the reason why drifting feels so different in F-zero is likely because the ships are floating. It definitely takes some time to get used to.

I'm not usually vocal about wanting Switch themes but I want a home menu UI styled like this

fb7d24b837e9950f790daddedf877470491c76cf5b64d5f6700e2828f3f240d6

Back
Top Bottom