• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic F-ZERO 99 |ST| 99 racers collide with the wall, 99 racers collide. "POWER DOWN," 1 crashes out, 98 racers collide with the wall.

I keep getting in first for a few seconds and then totally blowing it when I think I have a good run going lmao. Think the highest I've ranked is 4th so far?

yeah this game is a serious achievement of graphic design. probably the most beautiful repackaging nintendo has ever done with any of its NES or SNES games.
i'm sure they're both just working off of similar reference points but some of the on-screen text really reminds me of what Vektroid has been doing with brightly-colored typography the last few years

Screen-Shot-2023-09-16-at-9-17-38-PM.png

1.png
NzEtMjE3MS5qcGVn.jpeg

I didn't expect to stick with this game for more than a day but it's good to play for like 30 minutes here and there.

Finally got my first Falcon Dinner. Getting a racer KO right at the start of the final lap as a Fire Stingray makes you feel like a god.

Battling whether this is my overall favourite game this year

There have surely been more games that push boundaries but I don't know if anything is as fun as this

which car is everyone using? i've heard the golden is really good in this version
Fire Stringray seems to be the more 'meta' choice, but that's from very early days. I prefer the Golden Fox and got my first win plus best Grand Prix ranking with it.

Got my first 1st place win!!! So extremely satisfying winning it by a hair.

In terms of what I've found the most success with:

Wild Goose > Fire Stingray > Blue Falcon >>> Golden Fox

Last edited:
I find that tapping L or R tends to work, together with holding away from the magnet.

Wait, destroying the grey bumper cars also counts as a KO for health recovery purposes?
Yeah, but you get less than if it's another player.
Battling whether this is my overall favourite game this year

There have surely been more games that push boundaries but I don't know if anything is as fun as this
One of Nintendo's smartest uses of old IP on Switch, maybe the smartest. It's been great to get some cult classic remakes, like Advance Wars or FDC, but this kind of smaller scale use of old licenses is really refreshing.

It's a really tightly designed little package. I like how the dynamics for the different modes are subtly different, especially for something like Team Race, standard 99, and Grand Prix. The rapidly rotating modes also make it a lot of fun.

Has anyone else been regularly getting connection errors when Grand Prix results are shown?

The last 3 I did all ended like that. I wonder if it's a personal bug or an overall one.

Also, damn, the last Grand Prix I did some Japanese person won three races and finished the other 2 in the Top 3. People are good at this thing.

Finally won my first Grand Prix, after getting 2nd like three times. Feels good.

Thanks for the ST Racoon.

Finally won my first 99 race after many attempts, so satisfying. Was on sand ocean and got a bit lucky, managed to take the lead at the end of 3rd lap and broke away from the pack.

Want to unlock all the colours for the blue falcon but Grand Prix seems so hard. good motivation though.

Game is awesome, they really put a lot of thought into it and the quick nature of it means you just want to dive back in. A new f-zero could take a lot from this.

Has anyone else been regularly getting connection errors when Grand Prix results are shown?

The last 3 I did all ended like that. I wonder if it's a personal bug or an overall one.

Also, damn, the last Grand Prix I did some Japanese person won three races and finished the other 2 in the Top 3. People are good at this thing.
With about 3 hours of play across all modes I haven't had a single connection error, even when the signal strength from my router has dropped. Sorry compadre - it's either bad luck or something with your set up.

Screenshot_2023-09-17_10-24-16.png

discreet brag about first place aside, i dont think my boy in second place has logged off since the damn game came out fuckin level 64 jesus christ

I’ve only played like 15 minutes of this but not having to double tap an analog shoulder button to activate the spin attack like in X/GX is revelatory. Plus putting it on a cooldown is smart. Small things like this I think will go a long way to making the series more approachable.

This really feels like a test pilot for some mechanical ideas on how to move past the X/GX formula and I so am here for it. Even if the next game is in the SNES/GBA style this felt really damn good, and I find the BR way less bolted on than in Tetris 99 where it felt like I had to track too many things (my dandori is not that good) to do well.

so what determines how slowly the Skyway meter drains? i know you stay on the Skyway even if it’s empty if it can’t drop you down somewhere safe, but I’ve seen a huge variance in how long it takes the meter itself to deplete.
I thought it was maybe related to your boost meter/number of KOs, but I’ve had it drain super slowly at the very start of races too—maybe it’s tied to the specific track? or what place you’re in when you use it?

so what determines how slowly the Skyway meter drains? i know you stay on the Skyway even if it’s empty if it can’t drop you down somewhere safe, but I’ve seen a huge variance in how long it takes the meter itself to deplete.
I thought it was maybe related to your boost meter/number of KOs, but I’ve had it drain super slowly at the very start of races too—maybe it’s tied to the specific track? or what place you’re in when you use it?
It depends on your race position when you use it. If you are in a high position, it lasts less than when you are in a lower position.

Pro Races have been shooting me up the ranks as I can just play carefully and watch the other four scrubs in my low skill tier crash out.

And I appreciate every Battle Royale with a 50v50 mode. That's what made Fortnite approachable for me and I'm still waiting for that one to get back.

Just saw someone with 99+ wins. What the hell!

I feel I've been getting better. I was able to finish in the Top 10 in my latest 3 Grand Prix runs. Now that I've said it, watch me crash out of the next 5 or so.

Also, during the pre-Direct days, there was a thread asking if we would be ok with F-Zero 99, and my account made a post saying I wouldn't. I'd like to now say I was not responsible for such a bad take, I had just been hacked. Thank you.

They've officially confirmed the remaining 8 OG F-Zero tracks in Japanese marketing, releasing in two batches: the remaining Queen League tracks in late September, and the remaining King League tracks in mid October. They're all already in the files; and just need to be activated server-side.

While these could always end up being scrapped leftovers of grander ideas, it does seem like there could be more than the original 15 courses coming though; both brand new courses and potentially courses from BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2. Also a fun levelover 3D Mute City I that is definitely from an earlier point in production.

Wonder why they ended up not adding some Z axis to the tracks. Would've been nice aesthetically!

Game is good. Didn't even know the cars had their own speciality - maining the pink one. I appreciate that it's more handling focused.

Got a win on a regular 99 - Grand Prix I'm just happy to see the end! xD It's definitely a game with a high skill ceiling - nailing a few tight turns feels great! (Getting ping ponged between railings afterwards not so much :p).

I think the addition I want most right now is lobbies. It'd be really nice to be able to group up with friends.

I was playing with the snes online controller and honestly I prefer that to the regular controls. The hame even has a dedicated control scheme for it. So far I've gotten as high as 10th place

Friday night I got two 2nd places, three 3rd places, a handful of top 10s, a few top 25s, and a ton of top 50s. Game is incredible, let's hope they just support it well from here on out!

The absolute clutch of seeing POWER DOWN flash on the screen, panic spinning, accidentally killing someone and instantly recovering HP.

Are we able to play this with our Switch friends?

Not yet. I mean, unless you happen to luck into the same lobby.

(Actually, given there's already team races in the game, wonder how feasible for them would it be to let you group queue for team races at least)

Not yet. I mean, unless you happen to luck into the same lobby.

(Actually, given there's already team races in the game, wonder how feasible for them would it be to let you group queue for team races at least)
That would increase my playtime tenfold if/when they add it lol

keep getting communication errors in grand prix’s. losing tickets after spending so much time collecting them like that sucks
Speaking of communication errors, I keep getting them when seeing the final results of a Grand Prix. It's definitely not my connection, because it's pretty stable and it's weird that it always happens exactly in the same exact moment.

why did they have to make ranking out (and the seconds leading up to it) an experience of existential horror

keep getting communication errors in grand prix’s. losing tickets after spending so much time collecting them like that sucks
Speaking of communication errors, I keep getting them when seeing the final results of a Grand Prix. It's definitely not my connection, because it's pretty stable and it's weird that it always happens exactly in the same exact moment.

F-Zero 99 actually uses dedicated servers, so there might be a problem either on your ISP's side, or something fucky on your own home network.

I'd recommend trying a wired connection if you're using WiFi, playing around with router settings (Some people have mentioned swapping WiFi channels to an specific one instead of leaving it in automatic helps), or putting the Switch on your router's DMZ.

If nothing there works, give your ISP a call explaining you keep getting connection errors on online games and you've tried everything else. They might be blocking something on their side, or have something routed in a fucky way.

For what it's worth I can attest that this is by far the best functioning Nintendo game I've played online. I've had one instance where I had to try three times to join a team race, and I had one disconnection due to my internet briefly cutting out. But considering I've put in 12 hours over this past weekend I think that's more than reasonable. For comparison I've played tons of Splatoon & Mario Kart and both games would likely give me two or more connection issues easily just over a two hour period.

Really really hopeful all of this datamined content is actually planned and upcoming, and not just scrapped ideas. This game getting notable support beyond just adding the remaining OG tracks would be great.

Random idea of the moment explained in two pictures:

ss_fzx_rainbowroad.jpg

6868.png

Really really hopeful all of this datamined content is actually planned and upcoming, and not just scrapped ideas. This game getting notable support beyond just adding the remaining OG tracks would be great.

Arcade Mode actually sounds like your average arcade racer of the 90s... and how F-Zero AX actually worked.

Also hoping all of this content is planned for the future. Especially curious about the textures for potentially new venues.

Back
Top Bottom