• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic F-ZERO 99 |ST| 99 racers collide with the wall, 99 racers collide. "POWER DOWN," 1 crashes out, 98 racers collide with the wall.

Man I kinda wish they added more of the King League tracks to the normal rotation, I've only seen Mute City III once, but Mute City I countless times today. This update did not really do much for variety.
Obviously they couldn't have just put Fire Field in the normal rotation, but it would have been cool to see some tracks make it out of GP exclusivity like Silence or even some of the easier Pro Tracks getting put in the normal rotation. White Land I would be perfectly fine in normal 99s. Red Canyon II has easier turns than Red Canyon I, I don't think it needed to be a Pro Track honestly.

Also there's something a little funny to me about how Pro Tracks are "the hardest tracks in the universe!" but Fire Field isn't in there lol

Man I kinda wish they added more of the King League tracks to the normal rotation, I've only seen Mute City III once, but Mute City I countless times today. This update did not really do much for variety.
Obviously they couldn't have just put Fire Field in the normal rotation, but it would have been cool to see some tracks make it out of GP exclusivity like Silence or even some of the easier Pro Tracks getting put in the normal rotation. White Land I would be perfectly fine in normal 99s. Red Canyon II has easier turns than Red Canyon I, I don't think it needed to be a Pro Track honestly.

Also there's something a little funny to me about how Pro Tracks are "the hardest tracks in the universe!" but Fire Field isn't in there lol

They need to add a new game mode called "Pro + Tracks" that only has Silence, White Land II and Fire field.

I love the two new courses I played last night. Couldn’t get to the final one because I kept failing on the 4th track in King lol.
Also made it to S+ finally

Red Canyon II is going to be a hard stopper in King League grand prix it feels.

Got 3rd overall in my first King League attempt
Forgot how easy it is to skip the path the health strip is on in Fire Field so that course was played extremely cautious

You say that but man the amount of times I've crashed or ranked out on White Land I and Red Canyon II trying to clinch the penultimate race in Grand Prix...

Even outside that the tight snakey path right near the end of Red Canyon II where you're usually in desperation mode and ready to try anything is a threat

The new boost mechanics make Fire Field such a fascinating course to play on because of that split path at the end. I feel like you kind of have to take the slower path with the pit lane if you're in a Golden Fox. A Fire Stingray/Wild Goose might be able to take the faster lane a few times if you manage your energy usage well. It'll be really fun to see how people eventually optimize that track.

First run through the King League and I got ranked out in Red Canyon II right after winning in Port Town II.

I guess I need some practice in that one.

Also, this game can be an insane roller-coaster of "I'm good" and "I suck".

Last edited:
Do they have generic names or no names? I'm curious how they're handled
Maybe I'm wrong, but their names are not generic. Not that I've noticed, anyway.

There's no "Bot 1", "Bot 2", "Bot 3", etc. I've been in a few sessions that were heavily filled by bots, and never noticed names with patterns that stand out as being fake or that indicate that some racers are bots.

Maybe I'm wrong, but their names are not generic. Not that I've noticed, anyway.

There's no "Bot 1", "Bot 2", "Bot 3", etc. I've been in a few sessions that were heavily filled by bots, and never noticed names with patterns that stand out as being fake or that indicate that some racers are bots.

i heard some rumors that separate queues were combined so all the players were real tho im not sure how that works

i heard some rumors that separate queues were combined so all the players were real tho im not sure how that works
Maybe it's psychological, but when a session doesn't hit 99 players, I always feel the main pack of the race is less crowded, because - I assume - the AI falls behind.

So I'm doubtful when it comes to that rumor.

I haven't reached the end of the Queen or King cups yet. It is killing me.
Have you used Practice Mode to find the best lines and boosting strategy for each course? That helps quite a bit!

If you haven't, try doing that until you achieve a time that's good enough to get the course's background.

Just so you know but bot names are stored in a file that's specifically encrypted so they don't want us to look at them.
Oh, so that's where all those naughty names are coming from.

Have you used Practice Mode to find the best lines and boosting strategy for each course? That helps quite a bit!

If you haven't, try doing that until you achieve a time that's good enough to get the course's background.

Oh, so that's where all those naughty names are coming from.

Yea, I definitely need to utilize practice mode more. Just after I beat another Mario Wonder level...

I cant even get to the end of the Knight League lol. The grand prix is brutal to me.

Either I burn out my boosts too soon or dont boost enough and get ranked out by the end. The Goose is a tough machine for me to crack.

I cant even get to the end of the Knight League lol. The grand prix is brutal to me.

Either I burn out my boosts too soon or dont boost enough and get ranked out by the end. The Goose is a tough machine for me to crack.
I just can’t complete fire field. I keep dying on the final lap. Friggin course is a marathon. Seems like it’s twice as long as all the others

I main the Goose and I've had some success with it, so maybe I can help.

I find I tend to get better results when I play more conservatively. Try using only one boost per lap, saving your power for the final lap. That lonely boost should be used in the track's most optimal spot. Every track has one, so find which one it is (Practice Mode is great for this, as you can freely try racing lines and strategies) and boost there.

Only do more than one boost on a lap if you happen to KO another player or a grey bumper. You shouldn't worry about leading. Your focus should be staying in the middle of the pack (between 15th and 50th, I'd say) and hunting for KOs and sparks. You should always aim to collect enough sparks to perform two Super Boosts per race.

If you are able to hang in there, on the final lap you should have one Super Boost plus a good chunk of your power meter. Use them to rise from the pack and reach the leaders just as you get close to the finish line.

I havent Wonder a single received, but I usually place high, My main goal is not crashing against the power walls, on top of draining powering, they really Drop Down your speed

I'm still casually playing this from time to time, generally sticking to the stock F-ZERO 99 queue, sometimes deviating Pro Tracks when it's up. This evening I hit the cap for tickets, which I've found to quite fittingly be 99.

Im also casually at this game. I may never get 1st, but I do get better each time. And time trials are hectic.

I need to get back to this game but Fashion Dreamer and going back to Splatoon is being a thing.

Has there been any news of those updates not containing new tracks we were supposedly getting?

I'm honestly just waiting more for the updates they promised, game feels a little stale with only 15 tracks and most of them just being slightly remixed harder versions of earlier tracks.
REALLY could have used tracks from the other 2D F-Zero games, but oh well I guess. Kinda sucks that my favourite series came back in such a... I don't want to say unoriginal or gimmicky way, but like not much more than a novelty on an existing game that had the least amount of content in the whole franchise (aside from AX, but even then that game plays better and has a better excuse).

Last edited:
This game turned out to be quite a deal for both me and Nintendo.

My subscription was actually expired when it came out, so their plan of getting people to sign up worked because I did so right after it was announced. Meanwhile, I ended up getting over 40 hours of gameplay out of the game, which is a pretty good amount considering how much the standard plan I'm playing for costs.

It was a win-win.

I'm honestly just waiting more for the updates they promised, game feels a little stale with only 15 tracks and most of them just being slightly remixed harder versions of earlier tracks.
REALLY could have used tracks from the other 2D F-Zero games, but oh well I guess. Kinda sucks that my favourite series came back in such a... I don't want to say unoriginal or gimmicky way, but like not much more than a novelty on an existing game that had the least amount of content in the whole franchise (aside from AX, but even then that game plays better and has a better excuse).

I feel very fortunate that SNES has always been my favorite F-ZERO

Same. SNES FZero is one of my favorite racing games of all time. I’ve already put in nearly 50 hours into this game lol. Something about it clicks with me

SNES F-Zero never quite gelled with me, but I always thought the GBA ones were a lot better than people gave them credit for.

I spent a LOT of time with GP Legend and Climax, and the latter not having gotten a worldwide release always felt incredibly dumb to me. That's peak 2D F-Zero right there.

Still hoping they walk back the "No new tracks" decision and begin pulling from the other 2D games.

SNES F-Zero never quite gelled with me, but I always thought the GBA ones were a lot better than people gave them credit for.

I spent a LOT of time with GP Legend and Climax, and the latter not having gotten a worldwide release always felt incredibly dumb to me. That's peak 2D F-Zero right there.

Still hoping they walk back the "No new tracks" decision and begin pulling from the other 2D games.
Climax is the best 2D racing game ever made, I really wish more people talked about it. Hopefully it gets some appreciation when it's inevitably released on NSO. That game just feels so great to play, I wish 99 felt more like it, especially with how boosting works, drifting, and the speed of it all. But I do get why it doesn't, I'd just still much rather play that game than this even though I've put like 50 hours into 99.

Big fan of classic mode running at 4:3, it feels like an amazing thing to add.

Hoping for a CRT filter option for maximum realism too.

I in fact did not update the OP when I got off work (I was sleepy)

I'll do it whenever it comes out and I'm free

Don't really like how it counts for your record ranking on courses in the stats, setting new records on all the courses now, but I guess it doesn't matter all that much, I'm still not getting 1sts 🫠

Seems like it's busted in Fire Stingray's favour as expected tbh, but I did ok with Blue Falcon in some races if I played perfectly

It's kind of weird, regular 99 races feel slow after playing Classic mode and I can't tell if it's placebo because of the wider tracks and screen and stuff or not, if they changed something with this patch or what

also, they added new pilot card customization for this but no new car decals. The lucky rank thing seems like it should've been there at launch to spice things up, it's just another hamster wheel for more backgrounds.

also, only 12 of the tracks are playable in Classic mode, per the badge description. I guess the Grand Prix championship courses are cut out again which is unfortunate, no classic Fire Field or White Land II or Silence

Back
Top Bottom