• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic F-ZERO 99 |ST| 99 racers collide with the wall, 99 racers collide. "POWER DOWN," 1 crashes out, 98 racers collide with the wall.

I wouldn't give up on this just yet!

Two of the secret courses were actually removed from rotation with this update and have been functionally replaced with Mirror Mute City I and Big Blue (thus the mini prix of three secret courses also no longer exists). The two remaining secret courses happen to be the ones that merge two course themes together (Death Wind x White Land and Fire Field x Mute City); labelled as Remix in the files. Perhaps if the two removed secret courses were actually a preview for mirror courses, the other two are actually a preview for the full addition of remix courses in the future?

The Frozen Knight League courses are a different story though; they were removed from the game entirely in the next update after the event wrapped up, so we'll need to wait until the holidays again this year to know if they'll even return at all.
Maybe when they add more secret tracks to replace continue them being sneak peaks they'll add some of the BSGP tracks considering Fire City uses the square damage floors from Sand Storm 1. Maybe I'm just getting too hopeful there.

I think they should add Frozen Knight League back just onto the practice menu though personally, put it under a tab called "Event" or something, Also so they don't have to update the game itself when they inevitably rerun the event this winter.

Getting rid of boosting with no energy is a huge change on top of Fox losing a ton of speed with no energy left. It makes it so easy to KO a Fox who isn't managing their energy well.

Certain tracks like Mute City I/II/III and Death Wind I won't be nearly as lopsided in favor of the Fox. If you had a gap, it was way too safe to just abuse dry boosting to maintain a massive gap and you didn't even need to accumulate any KOs to do it.

Getting rid of boosting with no energy is a huge change on top of Fox losing a ton of speed with no energy left. It makes it so easy to KO a Fox who isn't managing their energy well.

Certain tracks like Mute City I/II/III and Death Wind I won't be nearly as lopsided in favor of the Fox. If you had a gap, it was way too safe to just abuse dry boosting to maintain a massive gap and you didn't even need to accumulate any KOs to do it.
On the other end, I'm not sure why they decided to nerf the Fire Stingray in a way that does not affect it in the only mode it's dominant in. Fire Stingray was genuinely one of the tougher machines to use in 99 due to it spending so much health on boosts, but now it takes even more? It did fairly well on longer tracks without many boost opportunities like Sand Ocean and Fire Field, but I don't think that's enough to warrant a nerf.
I guess it's helped by the system wide change of taking less damage from other machines and railings as one of the frailer machines, but I think that's a strange change too cause bumping people felt basically pointless in this game already, and now that's even worse.

On the other end, I'm not sure why they decided to nerf the Fire Stingray in a way that does not affect it in the only mode it's dominant in. Fire Stingray was genuinely one of the tougher machines to use in 99 due to it spending so much health on boosts, but now it takes even more? It did fairly well on longer tracks without many boost opportunities like Sand Ocean and Fire Field, but I don't think that's enough to warrant a nerf.
I guess it's helped by the system wide change of taking less damage from other machines and railings as one of the frailer machines, but I think that's a strange change too cause bumping people felt basically pointless in this game already, and now that's even worse.
Seems like the Fire Stingray was actually buffed, looks like a patch notes mistranslation.

With every update, it's becoming the full-featured new F-Zero game people have been requesting for years, yet I think many people are passing it by!
I'll consider it fully featured when they add an offline mode. Cause there's still the lingering fear that this game is just gonna become a gigabyte large brick in the future.
Personally I was requesting a totally brand-new 3D F-Zero game with anti-grav track design and at least the cast of X, but I'm also not passing it by, so that's besides the point.

Are all the tracks now available in Classic Mode (for trying to unlock for use in Practice? I’m missing Mute City 1, Silence and Fire Field)

I’m assuming only Knight tracks are available in Mirror?

Are all the tracks now available in Classic Mode (for trying to unlock for use in Practice? I’m missing Mute City 1, Silence and Fire Field)

I’m assuming only Knight tracks are available in Mirror?
Yeah, all tracks are available in classic now and the only mirror tracks are the knight league tracks.

Sweet! Do you know if the final tracks for the cups are in the general rotation or only mini Prix for Mirror?

Many thanks
The final classic tracks should show up in rotation for a single classic mode race or the new classic mini prix and the mirror tracks should show up in the main mode occasionally and the mirror grand prix

Fuck, I didn’t realize that the latest update added limited-time challenges, and I only just played it for the first time since the update yesterday to get the monthly Platinum Points… Have I missed anything?? It says the current one resets in 5 days…

Also…are there any downsides to using steer assist? I assume there must be, otherwise pretty much everyone would use it, but if there are drawbacks to it I haven’t noticed them yet…

Have to say, I really do love this update so far. The new mirror tracks are fun and whats more is that because they have added new elements to them, it does feel like a totally different experience to me. Also I think this is the first time that a mirror mode has actually messed me up on the direction I was going

Fuck, I didn’t realize that the latest update added limited-time challenges, and I only just played it for the first time since the update yesterday to get the monthly Platinum Points… Have I missed anything?? It says the current one resets in 5 days…
you should be good. I just checked, and its the same boost challenge that has been up there since the update went live. Unless I am missing something.

you should be good. I just checked, and its the same boost challenge that has been up there since the update went live. Unless I am missing something.
Thanks, that’s good to know!

Anyone have an answer to my steer assist question?

So the event this weekend is another Mirror Knight League weekend. I guess we're back to bi-weekly track drops. Somewhat related though, the challenges menu showed me what the Mirror Queen League pilot card background will look like, so that's interesting. Guess it can show you ones that are hidden from the Customize menu.
GKNbLhKa4AAEKs2

Anyone have an answer to my steer assist question?
I have not tried it yet, but I assume it works like Mario Kart where it slows you down when you're close to a wall as it steers you away, so you'll probably keep more speed than hitting every single wall, but probably not worth it if you only sometimes hit walls, as that will probably mess with taking tight corners. Me assuming it works like Mario Kart is just cause it looks exactly the same as steer assist in 8DX though, having the same bumper car light and everything. I could just be wrong.

I'm not sure about steer assist yet. For some reason it gives you extra air? So on mirror Big Blue you have to hold ⬆️ through the bouncy area or you can't even fit two jumps in.

Also…are there any downsides to using steer assist? I assume there must be, otherwise pretty much everyone would use it, but if there are drawbacks to it I haven’t noticed them yet…
Steer Assist can actually pull you away from certain shortcuts and track trickery.

That's basically it, from what I've tried so far. It's actually pretty subtle of an effect if you're staying around the track itself, but if you try some of the weirder jumps it's absolutely going to make it harder.

Okay, so steer assist is basically like the Mario Kart version…but it feels less disruptive than in MK8D to me. I guess I wouldn’t notice the slowdown much if I’m not actually getting too close to the walls most of the time, but steer assist finally let me beat Fire Field in the King League (and in a decent place as well), so it just seems a lot more useful than the Mario Kart version to me.

So, assuming the schedule for the Mirror Track releases mirror (sorry) the original rollout of tracks, Mirror Queen could be available this Wednesday, the 10th.

Also a new limited time cosmetic is available for the next week, a special spin attack effect. You need to beat 50 rivals.

Is there a list of all the unlockables, including what you get from Lucky Ranks, compiled from datamining? ’Cause I haven’t been able to find anything like that yet, but surely someone must have done it somewhere…right??

Thanks!!

…What’s up with this rainbow boost and spin, though??
MDTTurbo10%5Eq.png
FZ99_Spin02%5Eq.png

They haven’t been obtainable yet, right? I ask because they’re listed before the sparkly purple boost and spin that have currently been made available via the limited-time challenges, so I just wanna be absolutely certain that I didn’t miss those because I need them, lol.

Thanks!!

…What’s up with this rainbow boost and spin, though??
MDTTurbo10%5Eq.png
FZ99_Spin02%5Eq.png

They haven’t been obtainable yet, right? I ask because they’re listed before the sparkly purple boost and spin that have currently been made available via the limited-time challenges, so I just wanna be absolutely certain that I didn’t miss those because I need them, lol.
Nope, it's just been the purple boost and now the purple spin that have been released. I think.

Edit: yep just double checked with my screenshot from last week, the purple boost went on a bit longer than a week after the Mirror update, but reset on Sunday, so if you want to check for the pride boost or spins, just check in every Monday to see.

Last edited:
I wonder what'll be the next update after Mirror King League finishes up. I almost imagine some more secret tracks will start appearing before then cause man, it feels way less mysterious when there's only 2 right now.

What would you guys like to see in the future? Personally, as much as I'm hoping for BSGP tracks, I'm more hoping that they'll include an option to use the BSGP remixes. Just would be nice to be able to more easily appreciate all of them. A few of them are based on the Jazz album, like Death Wind and Big Blue, but they instead use the instrumentation of the original BSGP songs to actually fit gameplay a bit better. Something I never see mentioned though is that Mute City and Red Canyon's are taken directly from the Super Famicom Game Music album. Makes sense, cause that's still the single best version of Red Canyon.

I wonder what'll be the next update after Mirror King League finishes up. I almost imagine some more secret tracks will start appearing before then cause man, it feels way less mysterious when there's only 2 right now.

What would you guys like to see in the future? Personally, as much as I'm hoping for BSGP tracks, I'm more hoping that they'll include an option to use the BSGP remixes. Just would be nice to be able to more easily appreciate all of them. A few of them are based on the Jazz album, like Death Wind and Big Blue, but they instead use the instrumentation of the original BSGP songs to actually fit gameplay a bit better. Something I never see mentioned though is that Mute City and Red Canyon's are taken directly from the Super Famicom Game Music album. Makes sense, cause that's still the single best version of Red Canyon.

I'm actually wondering if they could even use the songs. Wonder how the rights for those even went given the very specific way both BS-F-zero games existed in.

That said, I'm still convinced we'll get some sort of paid DLC / boxed release like Tetris 99 got.

iirc a physical should have been sometime around now relative to Tetris

maybe the different support model will change the timeline but unfortunately I no longer hold much hope

iirc a physical should have been sometime around now relative to Tetris

maybe the different support model will change the timeline but unfortunately I no longer hold much hope

I feel them allegedly delaying the New Nintendo Switch Attach 2 Pro system and having to rework marketing plans might have delayed that. If this was a March direct announcement, it's not inconceivable they'd delay that.

It would be a weird announcement to just drop on Twitter, especially if for example they wanted to shadowdrop paid DLC and announce a physical later, you'd ideally want the eyes a Direct brings to it. And, it gives them a free filler release for later.

I'm actually wondering if they could even use the songs. Wonder how the rights for those even went given the very specific way both BS-F-zero games existed in.

That said, I'm still convinced we'll get some sort of paid DLC / boxed release like Tetris 99 got.
Damn, looked this up and it turns out the person who did the arranges for Mute City and Red Canyon passed away in 2020. Also they composed SMT Devil Survivor. Whoever composed the other BSGP songs is a mystery though.

To be completely honest, I'd just like music in the game that plays back at a decent quality. If they could just compress the recordings of the songs a bit less, that'd be great honestly. It'd also be nice to get new remixes outside of SNES limitations.

Next timed challenge unlock will be available from tomorrow at 8pm ET.
Mirror King League could also be added on Wednesday, the 24th, assuming they're just doing these every 2 weeks.

so like

did I miss this? I don't understand. I only unlocked a spin effect
It's still available, but if it's different for you that's odd. Maybe the schedule of these changes depends on the ones you have unlocked?
These are the only ones that have been available, and I haven't seen people using ones that haven't been available for me.
MDTTurbo11%5Eq.png
FZ99_Spin03%5Eq.png
MDTTurbo13%5Eq.png

Wouldn't mind knowing if there's anti-FOMO system though, that'd be cool.

It's still available, but if it's different for you that's odd. Maybe the schedule of these changes depends on the ones you have unlocked?
These are the only ones that have been available, and I haven't seen people using ones that haven't been available for me.
MDTTurbo11%5Eq.png
FZ99_Spin03%5Eq.png
MDTTurbo13%5Eq.png

Wouldn't mind knowing if there's anti-FOMO system though, that'd be cool.
yeah this week I had #2. Never got #1 or #3

shame, I was looking forward to it

Well, anti-FOMO system aside, it appears that this spin effect is now available for the next week, if you have gotten all the previous ones.
FZ99_Spin05%5Eq.png

Mirror King League is out! Mirror Death Wind II, Mirror Port Town II and Mirror Red Canyon II should all be appearing in Pro Tracks, with Mirror Mute City III appearing in regular 99 matches.
Mirror Fire Field should be able to appear in Mini Prix as well, but that's just an assumption from regular Fire Field, I haven't actually seen it yet.

Unlocked all the Mirror King League tracks in Practice by hosting a private room and racing alone against bots. Gotta say, these are fantastic! I really hope these aren't the final tracks ever.

Since the two mirror mystery tracks (Mirror Mute City and Mirror Big Blue) have now been expanded into a full extra mode covering all tracks and adding new unique obstacles, I would assume next on the agenda is expanding the two remix mystery tracks (Death Wind + White Land and Mute City + Fire Field) in a similar way.

Back
Top Bottom