• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic F-ZERO 99 |ST| 99 racers collide with the wall, 99 racers collide. "POWER DOWN," 1 crashes out, 98 racers collide with the wall.

I don't remember the analog triggers on the GC actually having that much of an impact in how GX controlled, honestly. Like, they weren't used for acceleration/braking like in other racing games, they were for drifting, IIRC.

Yeah pretty much.

I found the video I saw:

And I think stuff like this + hypothetical online seems intense lol.

Yeah pretty much.

I found the video I saw:

And I think stuff like this + hypothetical online seems intense lol.

I'm assuming they will change the physics in a way that level of snaking isn't possible, because it was incredibly broken, lol.

You could also just take flight with an specially prepared ship.

Yeah overall the game is pretty hard to win now. Mostly the F-Zero diehards are playing. It is what it is.
Really? I popped on a couple weekends ago and the lobby didn't fill up so most of the match was just the placeholder vehicles. Got my first > 25 win that session :D

I'm assuming they will change the physics in a way that level of snaking isn't possible, because it was incredibly broken, lol.

You could also just take flight with an specially prepared ship.

Hmm ok. I've only played the game like two or three times in my entire life (first time being those old Gamecube demo kiosks from 2001 to 2002, it didn't demo well for a very young me 😅). Maybe if NST is also tasked with this they will make the appropriate adjustments.

Really? I popped on a couple weekends ago and the lobby didn't fill up so most of the match was just the placeholder vehicles. Got my first > 25 win that session :D

In my experience at least! I've had four wins within the first month of the game, then stopped playing regularly for about two months last year because other releases and haven't gotten a win since. Been playing regularly again since the Frosty League event and now the Secret Tracks being added and while I can comfortably place in the Top 25, and some days Top 5 it's just so challenging to get that top spot again D:

It's all fun though! I mostly play Blue Falcon these days.

I would be curious to see how they handle the controls with digital triggers. I saw a high level video on YouTube from years ago and that made me think "Wow, would the hardcore GX people actually be into a re-release without the analog triggers?"
I don't remember the analog triggers on the GC actually having that much of an impact in how GX controlled, honestly. Like, they weren't used for acceleration/braking like in other racing games, they were for drifting, IIRC.
While not really required, they really do help with controlling a lot of the twitchier machines like Death Anchor or Cosmic Dolphin. Just let you get very precise turns in a way that a full press probably wouldn't. For more balanced machines like Blue Falcon or stiffer machines like Hyper Speeder, they don't really make much of a difference but it's still just an extra bit of control that's nice to have.

It's the only F-Zero game with analog strafes, so it would definitely work without them, but it'd be a bit of a shame if they just removed analog trigger support when Switch games can still look for that, like Mario Sunshine or whatever Trials game is on Switch. Definitely not a deal breaker, but I hope it keeps GC controller support.

Oh also (EDIT) you can actually remap all your controls in GX so you can already test non-analog strafes, and I'm pretty sure acceleration and braking also becomes analog if you map the triggers to it. There's just no reason why you would want to go less fast.

Last edited:
Oh also (EDIT) you can actually remap all your controls in GX so you can already test non-analog strafes, and I'm pretty sure acceleration and braking also becomes analog if you map the triggers to it. There's just no reason why you would want to go less fast.

I didn't know that at all, huh. That's some attention to detail.

While not really required, they really do help with controlling a lot of the twitchier machines like Death Anchor or Cosmic Dolphin. Just let you get very precise turns in a way that a full press probably wouldn't. For more balanced machines like Blue Falcon or stiffer machines like Hyper Speeder, they don't really make much of a difference but it's still just an extra bit of control that's nice to have.

It's the only F-Zero game with analog strafes, so it would definitely work without them, but it'd be a bit of a shame if they just removed analog trigger support when Switch games can still look for that, like Mario Sunshine or whatever Trials game is on Switch. Definitely not a deal breaker, but I hope it keeps GC controller support.

I wonder if a new F-Zero might opt to use something similar to Inertial Drift's controls by using the right joystick for analog control

unique_twin_stick_controls.gif

Like you said, A button for fast, B for brakes, don't necessarily need analog control to go faster that way

(also wait I didn't know you can remap controls in GX and I've had the game since 2004. Can you actually change drifting to C stick?)

I wonder if a new F-Zero might opt to use something similar to Inertial Drift's controls by using the right joystick for analog control

Like you said, A button for fast, B for brakes, don't necessarily need analog control to go faster that way

(also wait I didn't know you can remap controls in GX and I've had the game since 2004. Can you actually change drifting to C stick?)
I believe you can set the strafes to the C stick but cause of how GX Drifting works I'm unsure if you can drift like that cause you need to press both to lose grip. I've never really messed with the controls too much tbh.

I believe you can set the strafes to the C stick but cause of how GX Drifting works I'm unsure if you can drift like that cause you need to press both to lose grip. I've never really messed with the controls too much tbh.
Maybe an option to tilt up or down to lose grip? But fair, I'll see if I can mess around with the controls myself a little later once I tidy up the den where I keep my Gamecube stuff.

Redout actually does that on the standart control setting.
It's just closer to WipEout than F-Zero even if it's still an inbetween.

There's server maintenance in about 40 minutes. Maybe an update coming?

It's to fix an issue on one of the secret tracks where the skyway can lead you into the abyss instead of back on the track. Glad they fixed it asap!

Not sure when it became an option, but I did manage to get a Mini Prix with all ??? Secret tracks.

The three were Mine Hell Big Blue -> Death Wind/White Land -> Fire Field/Mute City. Only for 7th, 2nd track I did poorly on with the Stingray...

Not sure when it became an option, but I did manage to get a Mini Prix with all ??? Secret tracks.

The three were Mine Hell Big Blue -> Death Wind/White Land -> Fire Field/Mute City. Only for 7th, 2nd track I did poorly on with the Stingray...

Iirc it was datamined as being an option since the beginning, but it was either still disabled server side, or has specific conditions to happen.

Iirc it was datamined as being an option since the beginning, but it was either still disabled server side, or has specific conditions to happen.

Yup that's what LuigiBlood found and posted about. I just didn't know when they would go live.

Guess it was the month of March!

Edit: Oh they replied lol

Man, they've been doing a fairly crap job at keeping this game alive, huh? Add 4 rare tracks that are just rehashing the tracks that are already in the game (oh boy 2 more variations of Mute City) and then do nothing for 2 months. At least let them be time trialed, come on Nintendo.

Man, they've been doing a fairly crap job at keeping this game alive, huh? Add 4 rare tracks that are just rehashing the tracks that are already in the game (oh boy 2 more variations of Mute City) and then do nothing for 2 months. At least let them be time trialed, come on Nintendo.
Huh, weird. Guess I was playing a dead game for nearly an hour with other human players earlier.

The game isn't dead lol.

Huh, weird. Guess I was playing a dead game for nearly an hour with other human players earlier.

The game isn't dead lol.
I didn't say it was dead, I was saying it's post launch support has been terrible at keeping people around. Can't remember the last time I got into a full room recently.
Was more mourning the complete lack of updates or anything since the Secret Tracks (which frankly, I think is just a terrible idea, put them in normal rotation)

I didn't say it was dead, I was saying it's post launch support has been terrible at keeping people around. Can't remember the last time I got into a full room recently.

I think Nintendo just understands F-Zero won't keep people for long periods of time, no matter how many events or collabs or whatever happens with the game. It could be better but overall it fills up the most during Grand Prixs on weekends and the secret tracks.

Though I think they're going to do a Spring themed limited event, similar to the Frosty Knight League stuff from December 2023 through early January this year. Maybe with the bumpers having bunny ears!

I think Nintendo just understands F-Zero won't keep people for long periods of time, no matter how many events or collabs or whatever happens with the game. It could be better but overall it fills up the most during Grand Prixs on weekends and the secret tracks.

Though I think they're going to do a Spring themed limited event, similar to the Frosty Knight League stuff from December 2023 through early January this year. Maybe with the bumpers having bunny ears!
Just saying, non-full rooms wouldn't be happening if they didn't decide to do over 8 times the max amount of Mario Kart players for some stupid reason.

Just saying, non-full rooms wouldn't be happening if they didn't decide to do over 8 times the max amount of Mario Kart players for some stupid reason.
This is why there are bots. There has even been bots in Tetris 99.

F-Zero just isn't this popular type of game experience. I'm thankful we have a NEW game that Nintendo can find success in where a new regular release would likely flop over time.

This is why there are bots. There has even been bots in Tetris 99.

F-Zero just isn't this popular type of game experience. I'm thankful we have a NEW game that Nintendo can find success in where a new regular release would likely flop over time.
"New" deserves some quotation marks considering they don't even let you play the new content they made for the game frequently, or at all anymore in the case of Frozen Knight League.
It's mainly just an enhanced version of SNES with some mechanical changes. It counts, but just about as much as a GX HD remaster would personally.

"New" deserves some quotation marks considering they don't even let you play the new content they made for the game frequently, or at all anymore in the case of Frozen Knight League.
It's mainly just an enhanced version of SNES with some mechanical changes. It counts, but just about as much as a GX HD remaster would personally.

Well, I see since this is your angle I will just end it here. Sorry you feel this way.

Maybe NST will make an all new, all different F-Zero where many more will play it than however many people bought GX during the Gamecube years.

Last edited:

I agree with some of your points that they could do better to make new content more present and flexible and while I also don't really understand the anger, this is just a weird point to make when you're sort of ragging on the game for both not having enough players, and also for having so many players being unnecessarily stupid. If maxing out Mario Kart lobbies is the bar for success, then it seems like this game is actually very alive, it just happens to have a lot more fodder bots mixed in than usual, and honestly, the original F-Zero was built for that. Fodder drivers was part of the experience.

I agree with some of your points that they could do better to make new content more present and flexible and while I also don't really understand the anger, this is just a weird point to make when you're sort of ragging on the game for both not having enough players, and also for having so many players being unnecessarily stupid. If maxing out Mario Kart lobbies is the bar for success, then it seems like this game is actually very alive, it just happens to have a lot more fodder bots mixed in than usual, and honestly, the original F-Zero was built for that. Fodder drivers was part of the experience.
I just think the usual 30 players of F-Zero (or even 24 like Climax) would have been more than enough for this game. They had to make the tracks larger to compensate for 99 players in order to even be playable, so you don't even really feel the chaos of 99 other people anyways. My favourite mode is even the one that doesn't allow for more than 20 racers, and it's not even constantly available.
There's already fodder drivers. They're the snails. Instead you just get like an extra 50 or so in most races, who you can tell aren't real because they use default everything, are not a challenge at all and usually fall far behind. They don't even do a good job of keeping up the illusion.

I just think the usual 30 players of F-Zero (or even 24 like Climax) would have been more than enough for this game. They had to make the tracks larger to compensate for 99 players in order to even be playable, so you don't even really feel the chaos of 99 other people anyways. My favourite mode is even the one that doesn't allow for more than 20 racers, and it's not even constantly available.
There's already fodder drivers. They're the snails. Instead you just get like an extra 50 or so in most races, who you can tell aren't real because they use default everything, are not a challenge at all and usually fall far behind. They don't even do a good job of keeping up the illusion.

Well, I guess I also have to bail out since I'm not gonna convince you of anything lol, I guess it's fine to debate the merits of 99 players or not but it feels like a needless sideswipe to all the other complaints

Well, I guess I also have to bail out since I'm not gonna convince you of anything lol, I guess it's fine to debate the merits of 99 players or not but it feels like a needless sideswipe to all the other complaints
Oh believe me I have a ton more complaints with 99. I just don't think they'd be on topic here really.
I just think the mixture of lack of updates and lack of people playing just doesn't help those thoughts I have. And going by the complete lack of discussion here or anywhere, it kinda sucks to just see people stop playing, not that I don't understand why. Just think they could have done so much more to keep people interested, and yet they kinda just shot themselves in the foot by announcing no tracks would be permanently added a month after the game came out.

Oh believe me I have a ton more complaints with 99. I just don't think they'd be on topic here really.
I just think the mixture of lack of updates and lack of people playing just doesn't help those thoughts I have. And going by the complete lack of discussion here or anywhere, it kinda sucks to just see people stop playing, not that I don't understand why. Just think they could have done so much more to keep people interested, and yet they kinda just shot themselves in the foot by announcing no tracks would be permanently added a month after the game came out.

They've been decent at dropping updates every couple weeks. We're still well within range of another one dropping soon. This is more than a lot of other Nintendo games get.

I get your complaints and might share some of them, but I don't think this one is fair at this moment.

Oh hey it's been 2 months since the Secret Tracks update. Surely they'll announce a significant update any day now, right?
Maybe they'll make the music sound better than a low quality MP3 uploaded to Youtube in 2007.

Last edited:
I think this was an intentional decision (I don't really like that though)
Having lower music quality than non-sequenced music needing to be compressed to fit onto an N64 cartridge sure is a choice. Not a joke btw, I checked and X's music is stored at 20khz and 99's music is stored at a measly 11khz, how they did that and still somehow managed to make a SNES game nearly the file size of GX is beyond me.

Oh hey it's been 2 months since the Secret Tracks update. Surely they'll announce a significant update any day now, right?
Maybe they'll make the music sound better than a low quality MP3 uploaded to Youtube in 2007.

You summoned 1.3.0, apparently.

New mirror Tracks with new obstacles, new assist mode and new timed challenges for more unlockables and a classic mini-grand prix. Oh I like this update, I like it a lot.

I kinda wish we could have seen new tracks actually designed around these new gimmicks instead of just slapping them into a mirror mode, but whatever. It's something I guess, and technically doubles track count in the easiest way possible.
I'm still holding out hope for Sulfur Swamp, Forest and Volcania showing up eventually.

Really hope the ! on the Standard tab means the Frozen and Secret tracks can finally be time trialed, cause I think it's incredibly dumb that they can't. A handful of tracks just being unable to be kept on unofficial leaderboards is very silly.
05.webp

i have been enjoying f-zero 99 a lot. the game is great and the pace of updates is basically perfect — every time i think i’m about done with it they come back with some new stuff.

don’t really understand why one person in this thread insists on taking up so much space with such an antagonistic perspective. it is ok for things not to be exactly/perfectly what you want, and the game isn’t hurting/exploiting/deceiving anyone.

The Mirror League crest is so obvious yet so good.

If we end up with Standard, Mirror, Classic, Event, and ??? variants for every course that will be nice. It's neat how these 99 games have been squeezing every last bit out of the classic design elements.

Also putting the target time for the badge elements right on the practice screen is a good touch

I am so so happy F-Zero 99 is getting the support it deserves. Nintendo Software Technology continuing to be based and having an extremely underrated and overlooked presence on Switch.

don’t really understand why one person in this thread insists on taking up so much space with such an antagonistic perspective. it is ok for things not to be exactly/perfectly what you want, and the game isn’t hurting/exploiting/deceiving anyone.
For a quick answer, F-Zero's one of my hyperfixations, so I would've gotten a lot to say about it if it lived up to my expectations or didn't. That's all really. I like the game too, despite my complaints.

These mirror tracks are great - they pretty much feel all-new with the reversed layouts and new features. Going to double the amount of tracks in the game! (after drip-feeding them league-by-league though, of course 🙃) Do we know if these mirror tracks appear outside the Grand Prix?

These mirror tracks are great - they pretty much feel all-new with the reversed layouts and new features. Going to double the amount of tracks in the game! (after drip-feeding them league-by-league though, of course 🙃) Do we know if these mirror tracks appear outside the Grand Prix?
Mirror tracks can appear in both 99 and Team Battle it seems. I assume the harder mirror tracks will be placed where their non-mirrored equivalent is, so Mirror White Land 1 will probably be in Pro Tracks.
Dunno where Mirror Silence is aside from the GP though, Nintendo released a screenshot of 99 people racing on it but I haven't seen it outside the GP.

Weirdly enough, Mirror Mute City 1 seems to have some performance issues. I assume it probably has something to do with the 80 different jump ramps which are 3D. I had it drop to sub-30 fps when people were all bunched up.
Also that new decal for completing Mirror Knight League is pretty crappy, I have to say. Remove all detail in the sprites for a half and half palette, ugh. Hope Mirror Queen and Mirror King have better unlocks.

Does that happen consistently?
Doesn't seem very consistent but I had a lap 1 on it where the game chugged for a couple of seconds twice in a lap. Maybe hit like 25fps or something, and the game felt like it slowed down even. Could've been a netcode thing but I didn't get a poor connection warning or anything so I dunno.

insert comment about X's framerate on NSO here

I wouldn't give up on this just yet!

Two of the secret courses were actually removed from rotation with this update and have been functionally replaced with Mirror Mute City I and Big Blue (thus the mini prix of three secret courses also no longer exists). The two remaining secret courses happen to be the ones that merge two course themes together (Death Wind x White Land and Fire Field x Mute City); labelled as Remix in the files. Perhaps if the two removed secret courses were actually a preview for mirror courses, the other two are actually a preview for the full addition of remix courses in the future?

The Frozen Knight League courses are a different story though; they were removed from the game entirely in the next update after the event wrapped up, so we'll need to wait until the holidays again this year to know if they'll even return at all.

Back
Top Bottom