• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Batman Arkham Trilogy coming to Nintendo Switch on December 1st (out now!)

Should have done the first 2 games and thrown in Origins as a bonus to make it three IMO. Knight was never going to go well, hope they can fix it with patches down the line.

If they can get Knight to look and run like the other 2 games in this collection I’ll be happy. Just played Arkham City for a bit and it’s a great port, glad they went with the X360 versions, hopefully they can 360-fi Knight so it matches.

Not sure what the turnaround time was from start to finish for the ports of this trilogy, but its obvious that they needed more time. When Turn Me Up Games did the Borderlands collection for Switch, all three games were 360/PS3 games, and the performance demands for those titles falls comfortably inline with what Switch can do. Not one of those would be considered an impossible port by any stretch. With this Batman Trilogy, one of the three games absolutely qualifies as an impossible port, and would require a full development cycle on its own. If this had just been Asylum and City, they would have likely been able to release on time back in October and run at a locked 30fps, but Arkham Knight was the real science project, and it does make you wonder just how bad of shape it was in back in October? Two additional months of development and it still released rough.

Whaaaaat?!

The games aren’t listed individually anymore and you have to get the whole trilogy? That’s weird since they were on their own with price before the delay.

Hopefully they do end up listing them separately. They should focus on polishing up any remaining rough edges for Asylum and City and those two games will sell very well on the eshop at $20 each. Then take a couple more months after that to see what can be done with Arkham Knight. That game is currently just to rough, and I think a $60 price point will keep a lot of people away from buying this collection, especially for those who are aware of how rough Arkham Knight is.

I went ahead and purchased the collection this morning, Asylum and City are worth the $60 price point for me. If they get Arkham Knight cleaned up over the following months, that will be the cherry on top, but I do not need it to be happy.

Two additional months of development and it still released rough.
I feel it was not enough for them and decided not to delay the game any further. That's why I don't think the first patch will come very soon like MK1 and Borderlands 3 received. Few months perhaps, they should take their time.

I do hope they implement FSR into the game though. Jaggy edges are much more annoying that frame drops or low textures.

Man, I didn't remember how messed the Return to Arkham remasters were. They completely destroy the original art and atmosphere. And better to not talk about the faces.

I'm not usually picky with remasters changing things, but as a big Arkham fan these particularly are one of the very few I just refuse to play. I'm really glad we got the original versions on Switch.

Yes, under this particular point of view, the Switch version is way better than the PS5 one: power of artistic direction, lol.

Quoted by: TLZ
I feel it was not enough for them and decided not to delay the game any further. That's why I don't think the first patch will come very soon like MK1 and Borderlands 3 received. Few months perhaps, they should take their time.

I do hope they implement FSR into the game though. Jaggy edges are much more annoying that frame drops or low textures.

I'm guessing WB decided that they were not going to miss the holiday sales and December 1st was the longest they were willing to delay. Hopefully they give them additional time after the new year to polish up Asylum and City, and chip away at Knight to at least get it up to a more palatable condition.

Anyone else get this error when trying to collect gold points? US Switch, US account, using a US cart. "can't collect points for this in the country/region currently set for your Nintendo Account."

I'm assuming an error, but normally if you're too quick it just says you can't collect these points!

Anyone else get this error when trying to collect gold points? US Switch, US account, using a US cart. "can't collect points for this in the country/region currently set for your Nintendo Account."

I'm assuming an error, but normally if you're too quick it just says you can't collect these points!

UK Switch here and I have the same issue, PAL cart as well so region is fine.

Not sure what the turnaround time was from start to finish for the ports of this trilogy, but its obvious that they needed more time. When Turn Me Up Games did the Borderlands collection for Switch, all three games were 360/PS3 games, and the performance demands for those titles falls comfortably inline with what Switch can do. Not one of those would be considered an impossible port by any stretch. With this Batman Trilogy, one of the three games absolutely qualifies as an impossible port, and would require a full development cycle on its own. If this had just been Asylum and City, they would have likely been able to release on time back in October and run at a locked 30fps, but Arkham Knight was the real science project, and it does make you wonder just how bad of shape it was in back in October? Two additional months of development and it still released rough.

Hopefully they do end up listing them separately. They should focus on polishing up any remaining rough edges for Asylum and City and those two games will sell very well on the eshop at $20 each. Then take a couple more months after that to see what can be done with Arkham Knight. That game is currently just to rough, and I think a $60 price point will keep a lot of people away from buying this collection, especially for those who are aware of how rough Arkham Knight is.

I went ahead and purchased the collection this morning, Asylum and City are worth the $60 price point for me. If they get Arkham Knight cleaned up over the following months, that will be the cherry on top, but I do not need it to be happy.

Well, Nate mentioned this collection was coming way back in 2021 I believe, so if dev started then it’s been a while.

Interesting to see what Version each game is current in on Switch. Arkham Asylum is listed as V1.0, Arkham City is V1.0.1 and Arkham Knight is V1.0.2. I presume this means they have been all hands on deck for Arkham Knight trying to get it running, Asylum got to a ready for sale state many months ago, and perhaps City saw an improved build between its original release date in October and now.

Holly hell at the images in the character profiles in Knight. Saw them handheld and thought “eh, too bad,” but they look really bad docked.

I get they needed to save space wherever they could, but how much could they have added up to? I really don’t care how much space this game would’ve taken up but I know other people do, and they have to keep in those without external storage.

But it being a still image just makes it jarringly bad.

Interesting to see what Version each game is current in on Switch. Arkham Asylum is listed as V1.0, Arkham City is V1.0.1 and Arkham Knight is V1.0.2. I presume this means they have been all hands on deck for Arkham Knight trying to get it running, Asylum got to a ready for sale state many months ago, and perhaps City saw an improved build between its original release date in October and now.

Would make sense. And based on what Oliver from DF said in that TwiX, I think the developers are still hard at work getting the game improved on Switch. It could be like what was mentioned earlier a couple months of improvements, and fixes to make it better.

It would be one thing if the game never got patched, and remained in that state. But if there are multiple fixes and patches to improve performance, and general stability, it'll probably end up a solid conversion. I think the devs were also in a scramble because it was billed as the Arkham Trilogy rather than say the first two games + Arkham Knight. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think this whole thing would’ve been better served as a Duo pack with the first two games, followed by Arkham Knight 6-9 months later.

Asylum and City look incredible on OLED and already validated my purchase.

I'm confident by the time I'm done with them Knight will be in a better spot... let's also remember the disastrous state it launched on PC.

let's also remember the disastrous state it launched on PC.
Let's also not forget that the PC version is still not particularly well optimised even today and instead benefits above all from the now significantly more powerful hardware.

Don't buy games / products in the hope of subsequent improvements, because nobody can guarantee that these will actually come. That sets bad precedents.

Let's also not forget that the PC version is still not particularly well optimised even today and instead benefits above all from the now significantly more powerful hardware.

Don't buy games / products in the hope of subsequent improvements, because nobody can guarantee that these will actually come. That sets bad precedents.
I bought it because City is my favourite in the series and AA is my second favourite.

Knight improving would just be a cherry on top.

Almost all Switch "impossible ports" got hefty patches that improved the games a lot. They might not guarantee to bring the game to an acceptable level but most port studios promise to keep the support up after the launch. Even Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon himself promised extra work for MK1 and mostly delivered.

Looks like the fps problems with the batmobile only happens on dock.
It seems that they spent more time optimizing the portable profile.

Last edited:
I bought it because City is my favourite in the series and AA is my second favourite.

Knight improving would just be a cherry on top.
That’s fair. But folks looking into it for one of the two + Knight or Knight on its own should definitely hold off for now, I’d suggest. (But in the end: you people do what you want, of course).

Almost all Switch "impossible ports" got hefty patches that improved the games a lot. They might not guarantee to bring the game to an acceptable level but most port studios promise to keep the support up after the launch. Even Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon himself promised extra work for MK1 and mostly delivered.
Well, the porting studios can say or promise whatever they want, but if the publisher in question doesn’t want to bother then their promises aren’t worth anything. And just to be clear: I’m not blaming the porting studios one bit here, they more likely than not did what they could, and what they’ve achieved here is super impressive already. I don’t trust corps like Warner in the slightest, on the other hand, and I’d warn people about blindly putting trust into them specifically. Turn Me Up Games are probably the last party to blame, if at all.
Boon in comparison has a lot of pull within the WB gaming division, it seems, which can’t be said about Turn Me Up either, given they’re an external contractor.

Last edited:
It’s in the porting studios best interests to get this to a better level, they want to showcase what they can do so they can get more work porting other games.
Warner will also be interested in making the game go as well as possible.
Warner's post-launch support has not been bad in recent times, they even continued to provide new content in Gotham Knights despite not selling as expected.

It’s in the porting studios best interests to get this to a better level, they want to showcase what they can do so they can get more work porting other games.

There's just way too much asset streaming for a system with really bad RAM bandwidth, I don't think it can get much better.

WB should have done a 4K remaster (redoing the textures in higher resolution but keeping the original art style) of City and Asylum and bundled it with Knight (also at 4K, but no need to redo the textures) and released them on all platforms November 2025. That would have done great and would have run well on the Switch 2.

Instead of... This.

after a few test I can confirm that knight main problem (fps random drops) is ram speed and cpu clock.

Some results with OC oled:

Handheld 60 fps occasional drops (cant overclock more the memory for bad chip lottery):

CPU: 2602
RAM: 2438.4 ( maybe at 2700 it can fix occasional drops)
GPU: 921

Docked 60 fps same problems as handheld had:

Same as handheld only this time GPU goes up to 1420 mhz

Edit: Both problems could be related to assets acess so yeah it is also sd and cartage problem.

after a few test I can confirm that knight main problem (fps random drops) is ram speed and cpu clock.

Some results with OC oled:

Handheld 60 fps occasional drops (cant overclock more the memory for bad chip lottery):

CPU: 2602
RAM: 2438.4 ( maybe at 2700 it can fix occasional drops)
GPU: 921

Docked 60 fps same problems as handheld had:

Same as handheld only this time GPU goes up to 1420 mhz

Edit: Both problems could be related to assets acess so yeah it is also sd and cartage problem.

Just, uhhh, a very questionable game to port when like 25% of the game is traveling at extremely fast speeds in a tank through a very detailed environment.

Conceptually one of the worst games to port to mobile hardware in retrospect.

Should have waited for Switch 2.

I have a question to those that purchased physically… the game downloads are a code? Hypothetically, If I were to give the game to somebody else (after I was done), can the games not on the cart be downloaded if I already downloaded them?

I have a question to those that purchased physically… the game downloads are a code? Hypothetically, If I were to give the game to somebody else (after I was done), can the games not on the cart be downloaded if I already downloaded them?
No, the dowload is a patch, not a code

You can give your game to a friend without any problems, like the Bioshock Collection.

Asylum looks and plays great on OLED in handheld mode. For those who have started City, does the code to choose and Bat suit still work?

MVG take on Arkham Knight:
  • Game is IO bound. UE3 was never made with Switch or Switch tech in mind and it shows. UE3 streaming system not a match for Switch
  • Tested on a overclocked Switch, with a 2.4GHz CPU, 1GHz GPU and 5000 MT/s (2500MHz) memory
  • Once he did that, game was able to run at 60 FPS (HH Mode), but with improper framepacing still
  • Batmobile sections, however, tanked the framerate to around 20 < - >30 FPS, confirming his thoughts on IO being the culprit
  • Think the game can be patched, but wonder if it won't take a lot of time and work to do so.
  • Doesn't recommend to buy Arkham Collection at full price due to Knight. But says that the others two games are more than fine and that they should have separated the games and released two different SKUs: One with Asylum and City (Easy ports) and other, later, with Knight only. Would have given time to Turn Me Up to properly optimize and re-archtect the game to Switch hardware.

considering UE3 was never meant for mobile-like devices (with support only kinda hacked in), it's probably a case of not really getting the most out of the hardware without rewrites or drastic cutting of asset quality

Asset streaming definitely appears to be the issue here, loading everything in and out of memory, plus game storage. I was wondering if this is simply a quirk/bug with UE3 in general, or if it's mainly an issue with Arkham Knight. We know UE3 games are possible given the right tools, and time in the oven. so I don’t think this is unsolvable for the developers.

One thing that did stick out to me is how fast the Batmobile drives in AK. I know this is how it is in all other platforms, but I wonder if say the developers did a slight reduction in the speed the Batmobile drives (let’s say 80% of what it is on other platforms) in order for assets to stream to the next block of data more easily, and effectively.

Another idea of course is reducing assets further, maybe changing some geometry, and more advanced culling techniques may be needed in this case. But I'm not a programmer, so nothing is as easy as it may appear.

But those were my thoughts based on MVG's video:

• Change/Modify how the game streams assets, more individual blocks of data maybe?
  • Implore more culling techniques to reduce load on system if possible
  • Maybe adjust the speed of the Batmobile to help assist in asset streaming (and modify actual game mechanics to reflect that, so if there's a timed mission going from one place to another, add more time to compensate)

It’s a shame they didn’t hold off for Switch 2, I hope they get Knight to a good place on Switch but I’m hoping it also gets a Switch 2 patch next year.

At this point, I’m at a point where I think I would rather third parties move onto porting to Switch 2 now rather than try and make impossible ports for the next 8-10 months.

MVG take on Arkham Knight:
  • Game is IO bound. UE3 was never made with Switch or Switch tech in mind and it shows. UE3 streaming system not a match for Switch
  • Tested on a overclocked Switch, with a 2.4GHz CPU, 1GHz GPU and 5000 MT/s (2500MHz) memory
  • Once he did that, game was able to run at 60 FPS (HH Mode), but with improper framepacing still
  • Batmobile sections, however, tanked the framerate to around 20 < - >30 FPS, confirming his thoughts on IO being the culprit
  • Think the game can be patched, but wonder if it won't take a lot of time and work to do so.
  • Doesn't recommend to buy Arkham Collection at full price due to Knight. But says that the others two games are more than fine and that they should have separated the games and released two different SKUs: One with Asylum and City (Easy ports) and other, later, with Knight only. Would have given time to Turn Me Up to properly optimize and re-archtect the game to Switch hardware.

Why release AK in this state when they could’ve replaced it with Arkham Origins (and black gate). Nobody would’ve complained.

Why release AK in this state when they could’ve replaced it with Arkham Origins (and black gate). Nobody would’ve complained.
Origins is not recognized as part of the Rocksteady Arkham Universe. WB did the game as a last-gen hurrah for PS3,X360,WiiU,3DS,Vita, but regreted it later and buried it from the timeline.

Arkham Asylum is a 7th gen-ass 7th gen game but I’m enjoying it so far. I had no idea it was anywhere near as dark as it is.

The switch version has certain improvements on illumination, making more near to the original concept art of rocksteady
I meant dark as in grim, like it would be scary for little kid. But it does look nicer than the other versions of the game I’ve seen.

Asylum looks and plays great on OLED in handheld mode. For those who have started City, does the code to choose and Bat suit still work?
There’s a code to use other Batsuits before finishing the story?! Wish I’d known that twelve years ago. Haha
The switch version has certain improvements on illumination, making more near to the original concept art of rocksteady
Relative to the original releases? I’d doubt that, to be honest. But I’d love to be proven wrong.

There’s a code to use other Batsuits before finishing the story?! Wish I’d known that twelve years ago. Haha

Relative to the original releases? I’d doubt that, to be honest. But I’d love to be proven wrong.
They improve the illumination in Asylum and City to make it more darker and near to the original concept art of the game, relative to all past releases of these games

Last edited:
They improve the illumination in Asylum and City to make it more darker and near to the original concept art of the game, relative to all past releases of these games

I don’t think it’s any different from the PS360 versions. It is the PS360 version. Yeah, the black levels look different than the original in that video, but I’d sooner chalk that up to a difference resulting from the video capture. (Maybe a minor change in setting if the base was the PC version? Idk anything about that though.) But it wasn’t a conscious artistic decision.

I don’t think it’s any different from the PS360 versions. It is the PS360 version. Yeah, the black levels look different than the original in that video, but I’d sooner chalk that up to a difference resulting from the video capture. (Maybe a minor change in setting if the base was the PC version? Idk anything about that though.) But it wasn’t a conscious artistic decision.
It's not a video capture thing.
Those who are playing the game, and in the comparisons, that difference is being noticed.

Back
Top Bottom