• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic amiibo |ST|

I was surprised we were only getting one TotK amiibo. If more are coming I'm glad they decided to keep them for a future date, I don't want to have to buy many of them at a time.

I think it was a little more to avoid spoilers, but yea, I'm totally fine with them taking their time with the amiibo releases. I've already spent enough money around this game lol.

All I need is a Skyward Sword Link reprint and I'll have all the "major" amiibo bonuses covered for Tears of the Kingdom.

But the Young Link Smash amiibo also looks great, and if I get that then I'm only a few away from a complete Zelda set.

I think I've (almost) completed my amiibo collection for zelda series?

So far, only bokoblin, guardian, and the four champions are missed, and I'm not too eager to buy them. Plus, I already have the WW Link and TP Link amiibo, so I don't feel a strong need to get the toon Link and TP Link from smash series. Although I feel a bit spoiled, I'm still looking forward to the upcoming TotK Zelda and Ganondorf amiibo! How I wish we could also get one new TotK Link amiibo with zonai outfits!

772kt9k1vd7b1.jpg

Definitely picking these up. I thought the Zelda Amiibo would be her holding the broken sword completely vertically in front of her like we see in the trailers but the shot of her from that cutscene also works.

Pyra and Mythra are finally released now!

F1pxXYJaMAAD7qz

Also, I realized I never posted a photo of the Link - Tears of the Kingdom amiibo when that came out because I was too busy playing TotK, lol, so here’s this too:

F1pxXZ2aQAAob8u

I spent most of yesterday trying to get the Pyra + Mythra Amiibo 2-Pack, even setting a reminder on my phone months ago. No dice.

Luckily, I asked my friend who has a GameStop account to check his local stores, and he got one immediately.

IMG-0236.png

I’ll pick that up from him next week. There has to be an easier way to do this. Per usual, scalpers are greatly diminishing what should be a fun hobby.

I’m officially done with Super Smash Bros. Amiibo unless Nintendo decides to be charitable and release a Female Byleth Amiibo. Coming up, I definitely want the Tears of the Kingdom Zelda and Ganondorf. If there’s a Daisy Super Mario Bros. Wonder Amiibo, that one too.

Quoted by: Tye
There has to be an easier way to do this.
Follow an account like @amiiboAlerts on Twitter that posts when new amiibo are available to order at various retailers, enable notifications for their tweets, and just keep an eye out for when preorders go live. That’s how I’ve done it for years now, and I think I’ve only missed preorders for one amiibo release since then (the Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and Byleth amiibo), but even then it was thankfully easy enough to get them from Best Buy on release day by placing an order when they went live the night before.

It’s at least way easier now than the early days of amiibo when you’d have to actually wait in line before a store opens for new amiibo releases. I’ve literally camped out in front of stores (even the retailer I worked at at the time!) overnight to ensure I could get some amiibo back in those days! I certainly don’t miss that, lol.

Finally managed to get my Skyward Sword Link Amiibo from Best Buy where I was seriously concerned they would cancel the order. Such a weird issue they had with those and the release dates, Nintendo must have screwed up somewhere considering how bad the Amiibo situation has been in 2023. Flashes of like the original Amiibo days in some of this stuff. Also pleased I got Pyra and Mythra preordered ages ago. I thought they would be more in stock than the shit show they've appeared to be.

That said, it kind of feels like Amiibo may be winding down as a whole. With Pyra and Mythra, barring either some magical Sora finally releasing OR them deciding to make some Player 2 variants, Smash is DONE with Amiibo. As the franchise that has driven Amiibo for a decade, it's very weird we seemingly have no more to expect. Now we just have the two Amiibo from Tears of the Kingdom in Zelda and Ganondorf, and then the Noah and Mio Amiibo that were oddly announced but like not at all detailed or shown for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 left. With really no promise of anything beyond those.

Not to mention how weird Amiibo has been in general in NOA at least this year. Other regions got really big restocks of Amiibo. Fire Emblem got a huge presence elsewhere for Engage, but we ONLY got Marth and Corrin Player 2 back (with some old Byleth stock sitting around). Zelda got every single Amiibo easily restocked, but in NOA we got store exclusives with extremely limited availability on the 30th Anniversary Links and only the Bokoblin from the BOTW series has gotten a reprint and NONE of the Smash Zelda Amiibo have been resold in the US. Pikmin has Olimar from Smash and an extremely rare and pricey Hey Pikmin Amiibo, but Pikmin 4 has NO Amiibo functionality and thus no reprint despite the series getting a pretty big push this year. Only the Mario Amiibo got what felt like a reasonable, and available reprint, and even those were just admittedly the standard Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Donkey Kong (which makes sense for the movie, but is a LITTLE disappointing some of the others couldn't get a reprint).

I love the Amiibo releasing this year, and I'm glad I got so many Zelda Amiibo reprinted finally, but they've been a pain in the ass to actually get and its so weird/disappointing how Amiibo have played out in 2023.

Pyra and Mythra are finally released now!

F1pxXYJaMAAD7qz

Also, I realized I never posted a photo of the Link - Tears of the Kingdom amiibo when that came out because I was too busy playing TotK, lol, so here’s this too:

F1pxXZ2aQAAob8u

Very nice. Mine just arrived within the hour!

@Tye I've always been interested in "what could have been" with amiibo. I've only just found this information you've put together. Before, I've always gone off the serial numbers printed on the bottom of the figures. Loads of really interesting insights you've made here. Extremely comprehensive. Particularly interesting is the theory about a Mario Kart and Tingle amiibo based on Super Mario Maker costumes. A couple of things that I haven't seen mentioned I'd like to comment on though:

One amiibo I always felt certain was in the pipeline at some point was a Bowser Jr. Mario Series one. I base that on who was included in games that used the Mario series at the time, particularly after the second wave came out. My biggest evidence by far is that he is the only character playable without a Mario Series amiibo Mario Party: Star Rush's "Mario Shuffle Mode". This mode includes Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Boo, but does NOT include Toadette, who is otherwise unavailable in modes that exclusively use amiibo. Most interestingly of all, while all other amiibo appear using their Mario Series sculpt regardless of which version of the figure was scanned, this includes a unique Bowser Jr. scult as well. I believe this to be hard evidence of what would have been. I even think it would have probably made the most sense to have come out with the Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey, in the same way Koopa and Goomba came out for Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, and I would guess as well that the reason for the cancellation was just because of the close proximity to the end the 3DS lifecycle. Finally, tying all this into your own theories, I would therefore replace your theorised Toadette amiibo (who can't be used with Mario Shuffle Mode) with this Bowser Jr. one, which also ties in very well to your further theory of the other seven numbers in that block being for the Koopalings.

The other thing I'll comment on, that no one seems to have noticed yet (or, if they have, I missed it, my bad), is that there doesn't seem to be a gap reserved for Sora... Which is... worrying... Hopefully this is because he was added to Expansion Pass 2 last minute and he'll just get a later number, but even outside of the fact there will be a lot of demand for him anyway, he represents the culmination of nearly 10 years of amiibo collecting. The Smash series is where this started. To finish up one short after all that would be such a huge disappointment... :(

@Tye I've always been interested in "what could have been" with amiibo. I've only just found this information you've put together. Before, I've always gone off the serial numbers printed on the bottom of the figures. Loads of really interesting insights you've made here. Extremely comprehensive. Particularly interesting is the theory about a Mario Kart and Tingle amiibo based on Super Mario Maker costumes. A couple of things that I haven't seen mentioned I'd like to comment on though:

One amiibo I always felt certain was in the pipeline at some point was a Bowser Jr. Mario Series one. I base that on who was included in games that used the Mario series at the time, particularly after the second wave came out. My biggest evidence by far is that he is the only character playable without a Mario Series amiibo Mario Party: Star Rush's "Mario Shuffle Mode". This mode includes Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Boo, but does NOT include Toadette, who is otherwise unavailable in modes that exclusively use amiibo. Most interestingly of all, while all other amiibo appear using their Mario Series sculpt regardless of which version of the figure was scanned, this includes a unique Bowser Jr. scult as well. I believe this to be hard evidence of what would have been. I even think it would have probably made the most sense to have come out with the Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey, in the same way Koopa and Goomba came out for Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, and I would guess as well that the reason for the cancellation was just because of the close proximity to the end the 3DS lifecycle. Finally, tying all this into your own theories, I would therefore replace your theorised Toadette amiibo (who can't be used with Mario Shuffle Mode) with this Bowser Jr. one, which also ties in very well to your further theory of the other seven numbers in that block being for the Koopalings.

The other thing I'll comment on, that no one seems to have noticed yet (or, if they have, I missed it, my bad), is that there doesn't seem to be a gap reserved for Sora... Which is... worrying... Hopefully this is because he was added to Expansion Pass 2 last minute and he'll just get a later number, but even outside of the fact there will be a lot of demand for him anyway, he represents the culmination of nearly 10 years of amiibo collecting. The Smash series is where this started. To finish up one short after all that would be such a huge disappointment... :(
Yeah, the whole Bowser Jr. situation in Mario Party: Star Rush is odd and certainly suggests that a Super Mario series Bowser Jr. amiibo was planned at one point. The only reason I didn’t mention that is because it doesn’t seem like any of the unused IDs would be associated with it, so if it was a thing it appears that it never actually got far enough into production to have been assigned a print ID. I suppose it could potentially be 003B or 023C, but that would mean it was planned well before the Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, and Boo amiibo, not to mention Goomba and Koopa Troopa, which I find hard to believe since that doesn’t really match up with the timeline of things.

As for Sora, I wouldn’t take that as any kind of confirmation either way that we won’t potentially get a Sora amiibo. There’s reason to believe that we won’t, since it’s not been announced and there’s currently no data for a Sora amiibo in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but that doesn’t mean an update can’t be pushed out to support one if it’s announced and released in the future. And, as you said, the thing to remember about Sora is that he was a late addition, not initially planned alongside the other Fighters Pass Vol. 2 fighters, so it would make sense that his amiibo wouldn’t have been planned alongside the others as well.

And while I’d very much like a Sora amiibo for completion’s sake (along with, y’know, Alph, the Koopalings, and other various alts that don’t currently have amiibo but should like the Dragon Quest III, IV, and VIII Heroes, female Byleth, male Inkling, female Robin, male Wii Fit Trainer, and male Villager, plus Ultimate variants for characters like Zelda, Ganondorf, Fox, Falco, Ike, etc., as unlikely as those may be at this point), I can’t say I share the same sentiment that many other amiibo collectors have expressed about wanting a Sora amiibo specifically for closure, because the way I see it Sora wouldn’t be the end anyway—not only is it very possible that we’ll continue to see more Smash Bros. series amiibo if/when the next Smash game releases, but it’s not like amiibo are going to stop being made outside of Smash, either! I wish more people cared about amiibo as something beyond just Smash Bros., but it seems like a lot of people are just waiting for the Smash amiibo to be “done” so that they can move on from amiibo entirely…

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that's a good point about Bowser Jr. I agree he wouldn't be in those spots. What was the one you refer to as possibly being for Toadette and seven Koopalings? I hadn't looked at the spreadsheet properly... Ah, I see now that I misread what you were saying and you were talking about character IDs, of which Bowser Jr. is 0006 anyway. So, I dunno. That is a weird one I guess. Looks like he never was planned after all, or was cancelled super early, I agree wth you, yes. I think that makes me more sad we didn't get him... At least before I felt like he was close, but cancelled. Now I don't think he ever existed. :(

Unfortunately, I am absolutely in the same boat as the rest of the people you refer to. While it's not just the Smash series I'm interested in, I'm absolutely done after the Smash Ultimate ones. It's not fun anymore. The worry of being able to get them without them selling out is too much, particularly the Zelda and JRPG ones... I've also noticed a definite decline in production quality over the years. For the first few years, there didn't seem to be anywhere near as many flawed units, but latterly I encounter loads of issues in terms of application of paint, and sometimes scratches... It certainly feels like they don't release anywhere near as many amiibo each year that goes by, and I, for one, am mainly just relieved.

Quoted by: Tye
Unfortunately, I am absolutely in the same boat as the rest of the people you refer to. While it's not just the Smash series I'm interested in, I'm absolutely done after the Smash Ultimate ones. It's not fun anymore. The worry of being able to get them without them selling out is too much, particularly the Zelda and JRPG ones... I've also noticed a definite decline in production quality over the years. For the first few years, there didn't seem to be anywhere near as many flawed units, but latterly I encounter loads of issues in terms of application of paint, and sometimes scratches... It certainly feels like they don't release anywhere near as many amiibo each year that goes by, and I, for one, am mainly just relieved.
I mean, to each their own—I’m not here to put down anyone for where they decide to stop engaging with amiibo, so you do you; it’s just that it’s such a frequent thing I see that it makes me a bit sad, I guess, if only because I wish there were more amiibo collectors out there who I could relate to better.

As for what you say about a decline in quality, that’s weird, ‘cause in my experience it’s very much the opposite—amiibo look much better and are way more consistent nowadays than they used to be. And, like, I can be a bit obsessive about that, too—I used to work at Toys “R” Us where I got to personally unbox and stock the new shipments of amiibo, and I always examined them closely and set aside one of the better looking ones for myself because I was really concerned about quality, lol. And despite that, sometimes I didn’t even end up with a particularly great one—plenty of my amiibo have painting errors or a visible scratch or glob of glue on the base. But over the years I’ve definitely seen a noticeable improvement in overall quality and consistency with new amiibo releases, especially after they increased the price for newer amiibo. I used to handpick my amiibo after combing through the store’s entire stock and still end up unsatisfied frequently, but now I just preorder them from Best Buy and have no hand in selecting what amiibo I get but despite that I pretty much never have issues nowadays and whatever amiibo I get basically always looks great. Every great once in awhile I’ll get one with a minor painting error or something of the sort, but that’s rare and even when it does happen it’s much less apparent than the defects I’d get in the early days of amiibo. Just compare any of the newer Super Smash Bros. Ultimate amiibo to the earlier Smash for 3DS / Wii U amiibo and the difference is huge. The Zelda amiibo in particulate I feel like have been some of the best looking ones, too.

Also, I’ve said this a few times before in this thread already, but I feel it’s worth repeating—amiibo are so, so, so much easier to get ahold of these days than they used to be. It’s still stressful when some are in short supply and it’s easy to miss preorders when they go live, sure, I feel that, but it’s way better than having to camp out in front of a store overnight so that you can ensure a good spot in line to guarantee you’d get the amiibo at launch (which I had to do even at the store I worked at—while I could temporarily set aside amiibo for myself for convenience, if I wasn’t there in line to actually purchase them when the store opens they would be sold to someone else instead because we weren’t allowed to hold stock like that even for employees), so just having to stay on top of when online preorders go live is so much easier, accessible, and more convenient overall, especially when we have accounts like @amiiboAlerts now that will alert you the moment when new amiibo are available to order. Like, I totally understand that getting ahold of the amiibo you want isn’t always as easy as it should be, and that can be super frustrating for sure, but I’m not sure I understand how it’s gotten worse when, from my perspective (as someone who has literally been through every single new amiibo release since amiibo first launched) it’s only gotten better over time.

Oh, well, first of all I think you've misunderstood me a bit. I said the production quality is what has declined. I absolutely agree with you that overall availability has improved considerably. I frequently miss preorders going live but have still managed to get hold of copies, so that's great. It's only some of them that are an issue these days, like the upcoming Zelda and Ganondorf concern me a little...

In terms of design I also feel they have improved considerably, which is what I think you are referring to when you compare the early Smash ones to the Ultimate ones. I looked at the Joker one and how it uses the clear blue plastic to stand him on a tip-toe and it is just chef's kiss, and then I compare it to the original Link Smash one stood on his "p***-stick" (not my term, but one I saw once and thought hilariously apt). Blurgh... I agree with you about the Zelda series being a particular highlight as well, though I have noticed that the most recent Link one is oddly out-of-scale compared to the rest...

No, what I refer to is glue or scratches or missed paint... Two out of four copies of Pyra I could have chosen had the green stripe that should be on her left abdoman completely misaligned, for example. Two of the Mythras had far too much gold paint on her neck, while it seemed the paint had run out while the other was being painted. One Link had practically no hair band, just a chunk of hair-coloured plastic, while the other had a huge band partially made of hair... I did consider that perhaps my standards just crept too high and went back and checked earlier models many years ago, yet almost none of them had any such issues. Poor Mega Man has a small chunk missing out of his helmet and Yoshi has the tiniest fleck of green paint on his cheek. Other than a few curved swords, that really is all up until about the first wave of Ultimate DLC came out. So, for my experience, either the standards in production have dropped considerably, or I was very, very lucky for the first 5 years or so.

It really has been affecting my enjoyment, and, as they say, when the fun stops, stop. Selfishly, I do sort of hope they will wind the whole thing down at the same time as I back off, but I hope that they keep the functionality with existing ones going. If not, I like that they are offering considerably fewer unique sculpts even with flagship games like Zelda, and quite honestly if I'd seen proof that this translated back into an improvement in production quality, it might insentivise me to hang on, but there's not many more units left that'll interest me before I duck out, so it's probably past the point where I can be convinced.

It's crazy to me that Nintendo started this whole amiibo brand WITH Super Smash Bros., to end its primarily line of figures incomplete without just one character...

You'd expect that any negotiations for adding a character in Smash would've included the rights to produce amiibo for them, even if it's Disney.

It's crazy to me that Nintendo started this whole amiibo brand WITH Super Smash Bros., to end its primarily line of figures incomplete without just one character...

You'd expect that any negotiations for adding a character in Smash would've included the rights to produce amiibo for them, even if it's Disney.
Sora was a very late addition to Fighters Pass 2, since it was originally set to end with Kazuya (or just at 5 characters). He may have a different deal, but I'm not giving up hope just yet.

To all my fellow Smash Amiibo collectors, am I the only one who's kind of glad it's over? (Assuming Sora is a no-go, that is)
Yes and no. I like Amiibo due to how they look from a decorative standpoint. To that end, I only picked up the ones I thought looked cool aesthetically. However, I won’t miss locking actual game functionality exclusively behind Amiibo or scalpers making things extra difficult.

To all my fellow Smash Amiibo collectors, am I the only one who's kind of glad it's over? (Assuming Sora is a no-go, that is)
I'm happy that the same line has (again) come to an end, but for the love of all that's holy, put some of them back into production. Joker being out of stock the moment he went into pre-order and being unavailable since is just utter insanity.

Now the wait begins to see where the IDs for these amiibo will fall… I would assume they’re likely just 0431, 0432, and 0433, but maybe we’ll get another surprise ID gap with them!

Now the wait begins to see where the IDs for these amiibo will fall… I would assume they’re likely just 0431, 0432, and 0433, but maybe we’ll get another surprise ID gap with them!

If neither of the current gap pairs (0416 + 0417, or 042E + 042F) are for the upcoming Power-Up Bands, they'll need to pop up somewhere eventually! The Donkey Kong Country expansion opens in Japan within the next 12 months (current rumors indicate early next year too, so we should see more details announced in the coming months; perhaps after a DK blowout in the next direct?) so i'd imagine they are prepared by now.

Last edited:
If neither of the current gap pairs (0416 + 0417, or 042E + 042F) are for the upcoming Power-Up Bands, they'll need to pop up somewhere eventually! The Donkey Kong Country expansion opens in Japan within the next 12 months (current rumors indicates early next year too, so we should see more details announced in the coming months; perhaps after a DK blowout in the next direct?) so i'd imagine they are prepared by now.
That’s true, those could slot in there in multiple ways. Not knowing whether all four would be together or if the Donkey Kong ones would be separate from the new Mario girls makes it hard to predict, though. And after what happened with the first set of Splatoon 3 amiibo, I’m not sure we should necessarily expect consistency from any single group of amiibo in that regard, anyway, lol. But if we get a new gap of two or four IDs, it’s probably a safe bet that those are likely the Power-Up Bands, yeah.

That’s true, those could slot in there in multiple ways. Not knowing whether all four would be together or if the Donkey Kong ones would be separate from the new Mario girls makes it hard to predict, though. And after what happened with the first set of Splatoon 3 amiibo, I’m not sure we should necessarily expect consistency from any single group of amiibo in that regard, anyway, lol. But if we get a new gap of two or four IDs, it’s probably a safe bet that those are likely the Power-Up Bands, yeah.

I'm expecting the bands to be split in a weird way at this point yeah; whether that's done like:
  • DK + Diddy = 0416 + 0417, Toadette + Rosalina = 042E + 042F; or
  • DK + Diddy = 042E + 042F, Toadette + Rosalina = 0431 + 0432
The latter does sort them together in a way, just with the golden band in the middle; but then i'd have no idea what could possibly fill 0416 and 0417 at that point, lol.

Noah and Mio are an interesting piece of the equation too; given how barebones their announcement was I wonder if the Deep Cut amiibo could even have earlier IDs than them (they'd all be somewhere after the golden band though).

UK and presumably other EU Nintendo stores can now register interest for the new Zelda and ganondorf amiibo. If you don't do this, you will not be able to buy them from said stores.
Thank you. Is this the first time they’ve done this for amiibo? I seem to remember them putting listings up at random. Sometimes after they’re released elsewhere.

Thank you. Is this the first time they’ve done this for amiibo? I seem to remember them putting listings up at random. Sometimes after they’re released elsewhere.

I think so, yeah. Might have technically done it for the TOTK Link but I don't recall whether that was just the other TOTK stuff or not.

In any case, I think the system has screwed me! I registered (with two emails, just to be sure...) and haven't actually received the confirmation email you're supposed to. I assume others have gotten theirs? I checked spam, and tried with a second email address to be sure.

The Nintendo store helpdesk said that in order to help me, they need me to provide them with screenshots of the problem. I'm not entirely sure how to screenshot a email that wasn't sent, but if I find a way, I'll be sure to do it.

Putting this thread on watch so I'll know when preorders for the Zelda amiibos go up. I'm counting on you people...

Back
Top Bottom