• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic amiibo |ST|

So what are some amiibo that we don’t have yet that ya’ll think are long overdue?

Aside from the obvious Pokémon amiibo cards, my vote would have to go to a series of Sonic the Hedgehog amiibo. WHY ISN’T THIS A THING YET?!

E5jFsJiVUAQZMnV

It’s bizarre to me that we have amiibo for third-party franchises like Shovel Knight, Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Mega Man, and Diablo, but somehow nothing for Sonic outside of the Super Smash Bros. amiibo. What’s up with that?! I’d have thought that a series of Sonic amiibo would be one of the first third-party amiibo series we get, but it’s been almost eight years now and SEGA has done absolutely nothing with amiibo. Like, c’mon, the Sonic series is perfect for its own line of amiibo, considering all the popular characters from the series. And Sonic games always sell best on Nintendo systems anyway, plus there are Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games like the Mario & Sonic series as well, so it’s not like there’s been any shortage of opportunities for SEGA to implement amiibo support in a Sonic game. But for whatever reason, SEGA just doesn’t seem interested in amiibo, and unfortunately it doesn’t look like things are changing anytime soon because if Sonic Frontiers was going to have amiibo support with a new series of Sonic amiibo, it’d surely have been revealed by now…

So yeah, I’m still hopelessly wishing for a series of Sonic amiibo to be released one day… Just give me a Tails amiibo at the very least, SEGA, please! =(

Also, I’m surprised this thread made it to page 2 without anyone commenting on the lack of a subtitle, lol. I was sure someone would bring that up given how obligatory it seems to be here (and GAF/ResetEra, given that’s where the practice originated).

Now if only more STs would drop the subtitles… They’re just annoying, make browsing threads more confusing, and can frame the thread in such a way that sets itself up for irrelevant or negative discussion. That’s how I feel about them, at least, and I feel very strongly, lol. You can be assured that if I ever make any other STs here, they will also be free of subtitles. =P

That's a rare point of disagreement for us, Tye, 'cause I love OT/ST subtitles! Some of the ones I'm most proud of:

Yoshi's New Island |OT| Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

So you can tell I really like when they're a reference to song lyrics, lol. But I totally get where you're coming from, I can see how they can be reductive to the conversation at times. I just like when they're taken as a lighthearted opportunity for the OP to put their personal stamp on the thread.

Last edited:
Quoted by: Tye
I love OT/ST subtitles! Some of the ones I'm most proud of:

Yoshi's New Island |OT| Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

So you can tell I really like when they're a reference to song lyrics, lol.
See that’s another reason why I dislike thread subtitles—these references are totally lost on me and rather than being a funny or clever thing, it’s just annoying and clutters the thread title making it harder to parse (and feels a bit alienating too, and I’m sure I can’t be alone in that feeling). I dunno, I just prefer things like that to be presented as neutrally as possible—to me, the content of the thread is the place for playful references and such, not the title. (But even so, I prefer the opening post to be presented as neutrally as possible, too.) Plus you’re never going to pick a subtitle that will satisfy everyone, so why even bother including one at all? That’s the way I see it, at least. =P

I’m not sure what I dislike more—thread subtitles with references that are completely lost on me, or thread titles that reference other games in the title, making me thing that the thread is actually for the game being referenced at a glance rather than the game the thread is actually for. I can’t remember what thread it was, but there was some ST here that had “[something] Crossing: New Horizons” or something like that in its title and I always mistook it for an Animal Crossing thread at first glance.

I just saw that, too; what an odd way to get a first look at a new amiibo! We don’t even have the official render or release date for the Sephiroth amiibo yet, but it’s already being shown off somewhere??

Sephiroth Amiibo looks fantastic, really hope it's not a pain in the ass to secure.

I'd be real disappointed if Sephiroth amiibo is incompatible with Crisis Core in some way.

So
Is it still a fear that Sora won't get an Amiibo
Or
Have we decided he will certainly get one? I remember there were worries regarding him

Isn't there no amiibo data for Sora in Smash? I thought that basically confirmed there wouldn't be one.
Waaait, really?
That is so... stupid, if so
You can't have a Amiibo for every Smash character ever
... and not give one to the final character :/

I don't think they'll left Sora out; Literally just one character from the Smash Ultimate roster.

I think Disney licensing is just taking longer to figure out, just that.

Isn't there no amiibo data for Sora in Smash? I thought that basically confirmed there wouldn't be one.
There isn’t currently, but all Nintendo would have to do is push out an extremely minor update that adds support for the Sora amiibo, which they may already have prepared but are waiting to be able to officially announce the amiibo first. So I wouldn’t assume it’s for sure not happening just yet.

Yea, I am not giving up on a Sora amiibo just yet. I hope that one way or another a deal will get done. No way I can live with being one Smash amiibo short

Product number is pretty close to Min Min and before Steve and Alex, so i’m going to assume that’s just Sephiroth.

IMG_0211.png

IMG_0212.png
Maybe, but it’s weird that they’re withholding the name and all if so. I don’t think this has happened before, has it?

maybe it's deep cut?
Definitely too soon for that (idol amiibo came way later the first two games), and the product number wouldn’t add up for it (before the inkling, octoling and smallfry). Almost certainly one of the remaining Smash amiibo; I mean we did just see both Sephiroth and Kazuya at that con.

Definitely too soon for that (idol amiibo came way later the first two games), and the product number wouldn’t add up for it (before the inkling, octoling and smallfry). Almost certainly one of the remaining Smash amiibo; I mean we did just see both Sephiroth and Kazuya at that con.
aw well, thanks for the heads up

Reposting from the Splatoon thread...

Splatoon 3 Amiibo are up for preorder on Best Buy!

Last edited:
The Splatoon 3 amiibo released today! Anyone else pick them up?

Here are ours alongside the rest of the 2022 amiibo:
FhUOYWxUUAE4v2P

Also, having played some of Sonic Frontiers now, I’m even more disappointed that SEGA still hasn’t made a series of Sonic amiibo, because Frontiers would be perfect for amiibo support similar to games like Breath of the Wild that give you helpful items once per day when you scan them. The game’s set up perfectly for Amy, Knuckles, and Tails amiibo to give you Memory Tokens for the respective character, and the Sonic amiibo could maybe give you a chance to get a Red Seed of Power, Blue Seed of Defense, Portal Gear, or Vault Key at random!
So what are some amiibo that we don’t have yet that ya’ll think are long overdue?

Aside from the obvious Pokémon amiibo cards, my vote would have to go to a series of Sonic the Hedgehog amiibo. WHY ISN’T THIS A THING YET?!

E5jFsJiVUAQZMnV

It’s bizarre to me that we have amiibo for third-party franchises like Shovel Knight, Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Mega Man, and Diablo, but somehow nothing for Sonic outside of the Super Smash Bros. amiibo. What’s up with that?! I’d have thought that a series of Sonic amiibo would be one of the first third-party amiibo series we get, but it’s been almost eight years now and SEGA has done absolutely nothing with amiibo. Like, c’mon, the Sonic series is perfect for its own line of amiibo, considering all the popular characters from the series. And Sonic games always sell best on Nintendo systems anyway, plus there are Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games like the Mario & Sonic series as well, so it’s not like there’s been any shortage of opportunities for SEGA to implement amiibo support in a Sonic game. But for whatever reason, SEGA just doesn’t seem interested in amiibo, and unfortunately it doesn’t look like things are changing anytime soon because if Sonic Frontiers was going to have amiibo support with a new series of Sonic amiibo, it’d surely have been revealed by now…

So yeah, I’m still hopelessly wishing for a series of Sonic amiibo to be released one day… Just give me a Tails amiibo at the very least, SEGA, please! =(

Back
Top Bottom