• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic amiibo |ST|

Tye

All-around Nintendo enjoyer
Pronouns
they/them
PSA: Much like the words Pokémon, Pikmin, or Joy-Con, the plural of amiibo is just “amiibo”—no “s” added.
Additionally, amiibo is never capitalized, just as the “ii” in Wii and Mii or the “e” in Nintendo eShop are always lowercase.

H2x1_Amiibo_main_image1600w.jpg

Ah, amiibo. I’m sure you all know what they are—Nintendo’s interactive figures (or plushes, cards, or bands!) that can be used with compatible games on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, and Wii U. They offer a variety of cool extras that you can unlock in games, from read-only features like adding characters to the game or getting bonuses or special items, to read/write features like leveling up or customizing your character. Plus, all amiibo allow you to save a copy of a Mii character to them—useful if you want to transfer a Mii from 3DS or Wii U to Nintendo Switch! I won’t detail every amiibo-compatible game and their amiibo-specific content here, but you can check out https://amiibo.life for information like that.

Latest amiibo releases:

Super Nintendo World amiibo — February 17, 2024 🇺🇸
golden-power-up-band-92e3e1a6336bd96a523bba26751bdcb4f23da5e004f51539624c94e9f8303527.png
Golden Power-Up Band

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate amiibo — February 16, 2024
sora-5364a28fd3d6da85238706ae19e121b5a1e450edf91051e15b8bbda2edf82baa.png
Sora

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 amiibo — January 19, 2024
noah-879bc6783958458c2cae6bc3a60f67d0110c7ce91487ecbd0880e33347cf840c.png
mio-1728b49ad8e2a580aad913b0f00429d72fd982d67b1933307418cd5459ad789b.png
Noah
Mio

Upcoming amiibo releases:

Super Nintendo World amiibo — Spring 2024 🇯🇵
donkey-kong-power-up-band-6636f87d8d4247f498f9a6b8e316311aebfe5333957b3faeac135e7455029374.png
diddy-kong-power-up-band-be59b64b3c621c5584dbcfa19a47da1cfb04277baf4b30504398614ab0322ed1.png
Donkey Kong Power-Up Band
Diddy Kong Power-Up Band

Currently, there are a total of 851 amiibo released (225 figures, 614 cards, 5 plushes, and 7 bands), plus 2 officially announced upcoming amiibo. That makes 853 amiibo altogether—all of which are pictured below, ordered by series:

Please use this thread for any and all amiibo-related subjects, including discussion of released and upcoming amiibo and amiibo-compatible games! To kick things off, why not share your favorite amiibo, or post a photo of your own amiibo collection? What kind of amiibo do you collect, and what do you use them for?

Last edited:
100% complete amiibo collection
Guess I may as well start the thread off by sharing my and my partner’s 100% complete amiibo collection of all 834 currently released amiibo—yes, that’s every single amiibo figure, card, plush, band, and cereal box!

Here are the photos we took of all amiibo released through 2021:
And here’s the complete lineup of 2022–2023 amiibo, plus the currently released 2024 amiibo:

Any other amiibo collectors here that go for 100%?

Last edited:
Nice thread! Surprised we didn't have one already lol

I have 10 Amiibo:
  • Pikachu
  • Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
  • Celica
  • Alm
  • Samus (Samus Returns)
  • Squishy Metroid (Samus Returns)
  • Joker
  • Hero
  • Rosalina
  • Min Min
The Pikachu I gave to my mom because she finds him cute lol

The reason Joy-Con isn't plural is because the actual plural is Joy-Con Controllers. And for Amiibo, it's Amiibo Figures or Amiibo Cards.

There's no real reason regular folk have to stick with company style guides, though, and whatever colloquially is used is entirely proper and valid.

Damn, sick ST. I should take a pick of my amiibo rack.

Quoted by: Tye
How in the world did we not already have an amiibo ST? Good job correcting this, @Tye. I've got the full smash set so far, and most of the zelda ones. May do some pictures later.

My collection consists of:

BOTW Link
BOTW Link on horse
BOTW Zelda
The 4 champions
Wolf Link
Skyward Sword Zelda
Link's Awakening Link
8-bit Link
Smash Link
Smash Zelda
Smash Ganondorf
Smash Toon Link
Smash Shiek
Wind Waker Link
Wind Waker Zelda
Rosalina
Palutena
Shulk
Zero Suit Samus

The reason Joy-Con isn't plural is because the actual plural is Joy-Con Controllers. And for Amiibo, it's Amiibo Figures or Amiibo Cards.

There's no real reason regular folk have to stick with company style guides, though, and whatever colloquially is used is entirely proper and valid.
Do you also spell stuff like “iPhone” as “Iphone”?

I know that it’s generally preferred to say “Joy-Con controllers” but Nintendo also says just “Joy-Con” in a plural sense occasionally too—and I’ve worked as a Nintendo Ambassador where I was specifically instructed to do so as well (though I already knew that before then, lol), so I definitely know what I’m talking about. Similarly, Nintendo absolutely uses just “amiibo” in a plural sense without “figures” or “cards” or whatever after it, too—just look at Nintendo’s official amiibo website for some actual examples.

And, like, sure, in casual discussion it doesn’t really matter, but it’s still technically incorrect—these are names; proper nouns given specific spelling and capitalization. It’s not unlike how actual people’s names sometimes use specific capitalization or special characters, and not using them is just straight up not the correct way to write that person’s name, no matter how you slice it.

Anyway, my intent wasn’t to police people’s spelling here, but rather to inform them of the correct plural and capitalization, because I think a lot of people just aren’t even aware.

Extremely high effort and past due thread! I love the all-comprehensive graphic of them all.

All these years later and I am still waiting on Nintendo to release a f2p crossover strategy or party game that uses your amiibo…

Also, a Pokémon series line would devastate wallets everywhere.

Do you also spell stuff like “iPhone” as “Iphone”?

I know that it’s generally preferred to say “Joy-Con controllers” but Nintendo also says just “Joy-Con” in a plural sense occasionally too—and I’ve worked as a Nintendo Ambassador where I was specifically instructed to do so as well (though I already knew that before then, lol), so I definitely know what I’m talking about. Similarly, Nintendo absolutely uses just “amiibo” in a plural sense without “figures” or “cards” or whatever after it, too—just look at Nintendo’s official amiibo website for some actual examples.

And, like, sure, in casual discussion it doesn’t really matter, but it’s still technically incorrect—these are names; proper nouns given specific spelling and capitalization. It’s not unlike how actual people’s names sometimes use specific capitalization or special characters, and not using them is just straight up not the correct way to write that person’s name, no matter how you slice it.

Anyway, my intent wasn’t to police people’s spelling here, but rather to inform them of the correct plural and capitalization, because I think a lot of people just aren’t even aware.

It tends to depend on the thing whether I bother or not in terms of typing. And yeah, it's kinda funny how these words can become both plural or singular, yet the things they are based on aren't. Like Pokemon is Pokemon, but it's technically based on Pocket Monsters. So then would you say you "caught 1 Pocket Monsters?" Nah, you'd say 1 Pocket Monster.

It's always fascinating to me to see how people say these things. Amiibo is one of those things where I feel quite awkward typing it all lowercase, I can generally deal with iPhone but if it was like, iphone, I'd type Iphone. Amiibo, Wiimote and Joy-Con are where it gets less comfortable for me. I'll say Wiimotes generally, for example. I'm also never going to call the NES the Control Deck instead of console. I'll also generally say Joystick over analog sticks unless I am formally describing the concept. And I'm sure as heck not saying all the weird official names for d-pads!

Anyway this is less aimed at you and more my fascination with this stuff, and one too many arguments with prescriptivists haha.

I have the full Smash line minus the Mii Fighters and a bunch of one off ones. Just have them placed around my room in various clumps. The best/worst part of amiibo, is one amiibo looks well enough on its own, but they look better the more you have lol. I’ve never really used them for anything beyond unlocks. My favorite was definitely Mario Maker with the NES costumes. Anything else, I don’t think I cared too much if they ever did anything.

My favorite part is having relatively inexpensive official merchandise of characters I love. No way I’d ever have Lucas and Shulk anything for example if it wasn’t for amiibo. My only amiibo regret, was never importing Box Boy, but I’ve long made my peace with that. Looking forward to wrapping up the Smash line.

Nice thread! Surprised we didn't have one already lol
Damn, sick ST. I should take a pick of my amiibo rack.
How in the world did we not already have an amiibo ST? Good job correcting this, @Tye.
Extremely high effort and past due thread! I love the all-comprehensive graphic of them all.
Thanks everyone! I honestly wasn’t sure how well the thread would be received because it’s mostly just images of a bunch of amiibo, lol, but I’m glad it’s being appreciated! And I’ve also been surprised at the lack of an amiibo ST here (which is why I stepped up to make one, lol), but sadly it’s not too surprising to me given how few people seem to still care about amiibo now compared to years ago during the Wii U and early Switch days.

Also, a Pokémon series line would devastate wallets everywhere.
Yeah, I’m still shocked that The Pokémon Company hasn’t even bothered with amiibo beyond the Shadow Mewtwo card and Detective Pikachu figure… Huge missed opportunity there. I’m guessing the only reason why they haven’t gone all in with Pokémon amiibo cards is because they already have the Pokémon TCG, but still… It’s not like they’ve never had multiple sets of Pokémon cards running at the same time before, and even if they didn’t want to do that they could still toy around with adding amiibo support to some TCG Pokémon cards like they did with the e-Reader back in the GBA/GCN days.

It tends to depend on the thing whether I bother or not in terms of typing. And yeah, it's kinda funny how these words can become both plural or singular, yet the things they are based on aren't. Like Pokemon is Pokemon, but it's technically based on Pocket Monsters. So then would you say you "caught 1 Pocket Monsters?" Nah, you'd say 1 Pocket Monster.

It's always fascinating to me to see how people say these things. Amiibo is one of those things where I feel quite awkward typing it all lowercase, I can generally deal with iPhone but if it was like, iphone, I'd type Iphone. Amiibo, Wiimote and Joy-Con are where it gets less comfortable for me. I'll say Wiimotes generally, for example. I'm also never going to call the NES the Control Deck instead of console. I'll also generally say Joystick over analog sticks unless I am formally describing the concept. And I'm sure as heck not saying all the weird official names for d-pads!

Anyway this is less aimed at you and more my fascination with this stuff, and one too many arguments with prescriptivists haha.
Well, Pokémon is never really referred to as “Pocket Monsters” outside of Japan, and in Japanese there’s no distinction for plural anyway, it’s just ポケットモンスター / Pokettomonsutā or “Pocket Monster”. Also there’s nothing special about the plural form of Wii Remote; it’s just “Wii Remotes” as you’d expect (but “Wiimote” is entirely an unofficial fan term, lol).

Ultimately I think the reason these things are named with the plural forms and capitalization specified the way they are is simply because it looks and sounds better, lol. Like, to me, “Amiibo” or “AMIIBO” just look wrong, much like “Iphone” or something like that. =p And stuff like “Pokémons” or “Pikmins” sounds ridiculous, and “amiibos” also sounds silly and wrong to me. But I’m also just used to it because I’m a stickler for official names, lol. Yeah, I’m that weirdo who absolutely does call it the “+ Control Pad” instead of the D-pad or whatever. =p

Of course, even I only follow official stylization within reason. None of the examples I listed feel like they’re particularly asking much, though—just leave the “s” off for plurals, or don’t capitalize certain parts; that’s fine, easy, and doesn’t look or sound ridiculous. But then you have some companies demand that the title of their game/franchise is ALWAYS WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS, and that can get to be a bit too much for my taste because it just seems unnecessary, unless it’s a rather short and specific name like ARMS or PAC-MAN.

Amiibo are my eternal curse.
What do you mean by that? lol

Stay tuned; I’ll have a section about scrapped/unreleased amiibo and potential future amiibo written up later!
Looking forward to the write up! I’m already pretty familiar with it all (and may have found some info about potential future amiibo myself 😉) but it’ll be neat to have it all written, documented and explained in a nice way. Past explanations are scattered across different forum posts and DMs, lol.

Looking forward to the write up! I’m already pretty familiar with it all (and may have found some info about potential future amiibo myself 😉) but it’ll be neat to have it all written, documented and explained in a nice way. Past explanations are scattered across different forum posts and DMs, lol.
Ah yes, you and I have already talked about these things! 👀 But yeah, I’ll try to have it up as soon as I find enough time to sit down and try to gather everything together and present it in a clear but concise enough way, though that might take awhile with Splatoon 3 competing for my attention a lot right now, lol.

Last edited:
Lovely OT!
I have many amiibo, I will count them and post the exact numbers

My most anticipated right now are the Xenoblade ones

Lovely OT!
I have many amiibo, I will count them and post the exact numbers

My most anticipated right now are the Xenoblade ones
I’m also very excited for the Pyra and Mythra amiibo! I’m curious as to what they’ll unlock in Xenoblade Chronicles 3, because I’m sure they’re gonna patch in support for them once they release. I’m sad that we’ll probably never get a Rex amiibo, though…

I’m also very excited for the Pyra and Mythra amiibo! I’m curious as to what they’ll unlock in Xenoblade Chronicles 3, because I’m sure they’re gonna patch in support for them once they release. I’m sad that we’ll probably never get a Rex amiibo, though…

Maybe 2 new heroes!

I hope ssooner or later they will offer a Lanz amiibo!

Kellogg's selling a Mario cereal with an amiibo box is still the biggest Nintendo has ever felt in my lifetime

Great thread! That's crazy that you've got every amiibo ever released, that's some dedication.

Ever since Melee I've wanted a big collection of figures similar to the trophies, so around the 4th wave of Smash 4 amiibo I decided I'd go for a complete set. I was a pretty dollar-less college student at the time, so I did odd little jobs (in addition to my crappy retail job) and would sell older games to fund the collection. I'm in a much, much better place now, working in an industry that I very much enjoy, but it also comes with the caveat that I don't actually want to spend any of my money anymore! Collecting is fun, but I'm honestly looking forward to them all being over with so I don't need to think about buying them anymore, haha.

Here's my as-of-now complete Smash collection, and a couple other ones. Not pictured is immediately underneath, where there is currently a messy pile of crafting materials for my sculpting. I'm planning on replacing these baseball bat display cases from Michaels with a custom-built wooden display eventually, which I think ought to look more uniform.

zWaQhNU.jpg

Maybe 2 new heroes!

I hope ssooner or later they will offer a Lanz amiibo!
Unfortunately I wouldn’t expect them to lock something as significant as new Heroes behind amiibo, but that would be cool. It’ll probably be something more in line with the Monado skin that you can unlock early with Shulk’s amiibo, I’d imagine.

And sadly I don’t think we’re gonna be getting any Xenoblade Chronicles 3 amiibo, otherwise they’d have surely been announced by now—and if it was anything it’d probably just be Noah and/or Mio. I think our only chance is if we get a XC3 fighter in the next Smash Bros. game, but that’s so far off that I don’t even want to think about it right now, lol.

Great thread! That's crazy that you've got every amiibo ever released, that's some dedication.

Ever since Melee I've wanted a big collection of figures similar to the trophies, so around the 4th wave of Smash 4 amiibo I decided I'd go for a complete set. I was a pretty dollar-less college student at the time, so I did odd little jobs (in addition to my crappy retail job) and would sell older games to fund the collection. I'm in a much, much better place now, working in an industry that I very much enjoy, but it also comes with the caveat that I don't actually want to spend any of my money anymore! Collecting is fun, but I'm honestly looking forward to them all being over with so I don't need to think about buying them anymore, haha.

Here's my as-of-now complete Smash collection, and a couple other ones. Not pictured is immediately underneath, where there is currently a messy pile of crafting materials for my sculpting. I'm planning on replacing these baseball bat display cases from Michaels with a custom-built wooden display eventually, which I think ought to look more uniform.

zWaQhNU.jpg
Thanks! And wow, your display looks amazing! I was considering using those same baseball bat display cases (minus the lights) from Michaels for our collection as well, but unfortunately they’re just not very practical for a collection the size of ours. Currently been looking into other solutions, because our current setup with the DETOLF display cases from IKEA just doesn’t cut it anymore.

I have most Amiibo. But keeping up with my huge collection is hard, and I can only spend so much on a single thing (I have so many Switch consoles now, why do I do this to myself).
Many I do not have are the stupid Monster Hunter ones that did not release here, also MegaMan ones, also satan (Qbby) and a few ones I thought would be easy to get later, but are not super expensive (Pikmin, etc)
I love Amiibo, so one day I will have them all! I demand more new ones!

let's see, my collection would be

Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo
Pikmin
Kirby (Kirby series)
Rover
Tom Nook (currently MIA)
Link (indefinitely loaned to my sister)

so that's 15, I suppose. I was tempted by Min Min and the Minecraft set, but I don't really have the surplus money to spend on amiibo these days

if they make a Splatoon 3 version of the Squid Sisters I'd probably bite

I have most Amiibo. But keeping up with my huge collection is hard, and I can only spend so much on a single thing (I have so many Switch consoles now, why do I do this to myself).
Many I do not have are the stupid Monster Hunter ones that did not release here, also MegaMan ones, also satan (Qbby) and a few ones I thought would be easy to get later, but are not super expensive (Pikmin, etc)
I love Amiibo, so one day I will have them all! I demand more new ones!
I have all amiibo except the few Japan exclusive ones!
Is that including amiibo cards as well for either of you? Seems like so few amiibo collectors include the cards too, but they’re amiibo all the same just as the figures (and plushes and bands) are!

Have all the Smash ones plus a few others, but outside of Joker, who's stored with my Persona merch, they're all in a box somewhere

Is that including amiibo cards as well for either of you? Seems like so few amiibo collectors include the cards too, but they’re amiibo all the same just as the figures (and plushes and bands) are!
Ah, yeah no, I only included the Figures there, I admit. I do have a bunch of Amiibo cards, but I have not really gotten around to 'seriously' collect them yet.
I am more interested in the figures but I'll get the cards eventually, too XD
The bands I have none of.
I DO have a bunch of sealed Amiibo as well tho. I got a nice sealed Mega Yarn Yoshi! And a sealed what's his name... that Monster Hunter cat from the first Monster Hunter set.

No, it's not including the cards admittedly. I probably have like half of the AC ones. The random nature of them plus how hard they were to find during NH's peak made it to daunting for me to try to get them all.

Very dumb question maybe, but just curious: do games exist that have like secret Amiibo integrations? Like, it isn't in the manual but when you scan them something happens? Because I love that idea, like Konami-code stuff :)

Last edited:
Ah, yeah no, I only included the Figures there, I admit. I do have a bunch of Amiibo cards, but I have not really gotten around to 'seriously' collect them yet.
I am more interested in the figures but I'll get the cards eventually, too XD
The bands I have none of.
I DO have a bunch of sealed Amiibo as well tho. I got a nice sealed Mega Yarn Yoshi! And a sealed what's his name... that Monster Hunter cat from the first Monster Hunter set.
No, it's not including the cards admittedly. I probably have like half of the AC ones. The random nature of them plus how hard they were to find during NH's peak made it to daunting for me to try to get them all.
Yeah, the cards can definitely be a hassle to collect if you’re trying to get them all, lol. I was able to get most just through buying packs and trading with friends, fortunately, but I still had to resort to trading online to finish up most of the series. The special character cards in Series 5 were probably the worst since you only get one per pack of 6 cards yet they make up 50% of the series. ._.

Very dumb question maybe, but just curious: do games exist that have like secret Amiibo integrations? Like, it isn't in the manual but when you scan them something happens? Because I love that idea, like Konami-code stuff :)
Not that I’m aware, but that would be neat! I think Nintendo requires that information to be listed on the box and/or eShop page, though.

I've never been into amiibo as much as I'd hoped. Surprised they never did a skylanders style amiibo game, that could have got me more interested.
My collection is, off memory.

Ganondorf
Link
Diddy Kong
Marth
Shulk
Fox

Funnily enough I have just recently ordered the Pearl and Marina pack purely for the splatoon gear you get off them. First time in like 7 or so years I've bought an amiibo I think. Well, I say purely but, I do like the designs of Pearl and Marina. I'll probably have them out on display somewhere for a while.

Last edited:
Yeah, the cards can definitely be a hassle to collect if you’re trying to get them all, lol. I was able to get most just through buying packs and trading with friends, fortunately, but I still had to resort to trading online to finish up most of the series. The special character cards in Series 5 were probably the worst since you only get one per pack of 6 cards yet they make up 50% of the series. ._.

Not that I’m aware, but that would be neat! I think Nintendo requires that information to be listed on the box and/or eShop page, though.
I only have a few cards from a bunch of the later sets ._. And I have NO open Mario Amiibo cards. I have 2 sealed packs. I do not wanna open in case they are super hard to come by. But no open Mario Amiibo cards.
I am so behind, someone kill me please, too many kawaii cartoon animal Amiibo cards

Apart from Smash, the vast majority of my amiibo is from Fire Emblem (but almost all are from the Smash series) and Zelda

I love the latest Zelda one, with the flying bird and the best representation of Princess Zelda ever

Last edited:
I only have a few cards from a bunch of the later sets ._. And I have NO open Mario Amiibo cards. I have 2 sealed packs. I do not wanna open in case they are super hard to come by. But no open Mario Amiibo cards.
I am so behind, someone kill me please, too many kawaii cartoon animal Amiibo cards
That’s the worst thing about amiibo—trying to get older amiibo that you missed out on. I wish they were more readily available for people, but sadly that’s not the case. It’s not so hard to get any amiibo if you’re on top of it when they first come out, but the moment you let some pass you by and wait it out is when things usually get a lot worse, ‘cause they often become very rare and/or expensive, and that’s especially true for many of the cards.

That’s the worst thing about amiibo—trying to get older amiibo that you missed out on. I wish they were more readily available for people, but sadly that’s not the case. It’s not so hard to get any amiibo if you’re on top of it when they first come out, but the moment you let some pass you by and wait it out is when things usually get a lot worse, ‘cause they often become very rare and/or expensive, and that’s especially true for many of the cards.
Yeeeahh... nowadays I always get them instantly. It is just so much easier that way.
A few years back tho, "Oh neat a Pikmin Amiibo, it'll probably not be too popular so I'll get it once it is half price, I am so smart"
Did not quite work out XD
I at least have that one Green Dragon Monster Hunter one and I believe it is one of the most expensive ones...

All my amiibo are in a box shoved somewhere because I don't have the space to display them :(

Yeeeahh... nowadays I always get them instantly. It is just so much easier that way.
A few years back tho, "Oh neat a Pikmin Amiibo, it'll probably not be too popular so I'll get it once it is half price, I am so smart"
Did not quite work out XD
I at least have that one Green Dragon Monster Hunter one and I believe it is one of the most expensive ones...
Importing the Qbby amiibo when it released in Japan was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, considering what it goes for now, lol. Fortunately my partner and I have always paid MSRP or less for every amiibo aside from ones that require extra costs for importing. I guess I was lucky to be working at Toys “R” Us back when amiibo first came out because I got a discount on everything and was privy to the stock of upcoming amiibo releases—though I still had to wait in line like everyone else to actually buy mine, sometimes overnight! At least those wild days of waiting hours in line for new amiibo releases are behind us now, lol.

All my amiibo are in a box shoved somewhere because I don't have the space to display them :(
I feel you, they can be difficult to display, especially if you have a lot of them! My partner and I are currently needing to figure out a new solution for our display, too. It absolutely does not look as nice as the pictures I posted; I cleared out our display cases and set them all up specifically for those photos and swapped the amiibo out after each one, but we have far too many amiibo now for all of them to actually fit nicely in the display cases like that, lol.

I feel you, they can be difficult to display, especially if you have a lot of them! My partner and I are currently needing to figure out a new solution for our display, too. It absolutely does not look as nice as the pictures I posted; I cleared out our display cases and set them all up specifically for those photos and swapped the amiibo out after each one, but we have far too many amiibo now for all of them to actually fit nicely in the display cases like that, lol.
Yeah, I need some sort of enclosure because I hate cleaning them one by one.

Importing the Qbby amiibo when it released in Japan was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, considering what it goes for now, lol. Fortunately my partner and I have always paid MSRP or less for every amiibo aside from ones that require extra costs for importing. I guess I was lucky to be working at Toys “R” Us back when amiibo first came out because I got a discount on everything and was privy to the stock of upcoming amiibo releases—though I still had to wait in line like everyone else to actually buy mine, sometimes overnight! At least those wild days of waiting hours in line for new amiibo releases are behind us now, lol.
Oh yeah, Qbby, I almost won a sealed copy of the Japanese Amiibo Game bundle for it, here, for like, the price of a new full game. I JUST barely lost it. And now, it costs roughly one billion dollars. Glad you managed to get one, and yay for convenient Toys R Us at least, haha. That is nice. The only special thing that happened to me for Amiibo in a store was when I checked under the big displays and saw a fallen first print Marth hidden there.
But yeah
I love Amiibo, they are fun to collect, but getting a complete set here will be very very difficult. XD Also, my current Amiibo Shelf is.... full.

Yeah, I need some sort of enclosure because I hate cleaning them one by one.
Yeah, that’s the worst, lol. I see people who have their collections just on an open shelf or something and I’m just like…how often do you have to clean those off?! ._. I mean, if someone doesn’t mind it then more power to them, but I couldn’t handle that myself; my executive dysfunction is far too great for me to regularly maintain an entire amiibo collection like that, lol.

Still waiting for my Joker order to come through some day. Ordered it through six stores and not a single one has managed to deliver one...

Speculation of scrapped/unreleased amiibo based on amiibo data
Now, how about beyond what’s been released or officially announced? I’m talking about scrapped/unreleased amiibo and potential future amiibo! How can we know things like that? It’s all thanks to the data within each amiibo! If you’re unfamiliar with the data structure of amiibo, I’ll have to explain some things first…

Basically, within the data of each amiibo, there is a string of 16 characters with various hexadecimal values that hold all of the identification info about the amiibo. I’ll use the Isabelle (Winter Outfit) amiibo as an example to explain how this works. Those identifying 16 characters for that specific Isabelle amiibo are as follows:

01810100023F0502

Now if that doesn’t mean anything to you, let’s break it down into parts:

0181 01 00 023F 05 02

The first four characters (or two bytes) contain the character information, organized by franchise. For example: 0000 is Mario, 0001 is Luigi, 0002 is Peach, etc., while 0100 is Link, 0101 is Zelda, and so on. Animal Crossing characters start at 0180, which is Villager, and Isabelle is next in line at 0181. Any Isabelle amiibo should have this exact value here.

The next two characters/single byte tells if this is a certain variation of the character in question. Usually this is 00 in most cases, meaning that’s the standard, non-variant form of that character. For example, most Mario amiibo are 00 here, but Dr. Mario is variant 01, and Cat Mario is variant 03. In the case of this Isabelle amiibo, the value is 01, indicating that the Winter Outfit is a variant; the Summer Outfit and Super Smash Bros. Isabelle amiibo figures have a value of 00 instead, which says that Isabelle’s Summer Outfit is her non-variant form.

Next we have another byte of two characters that says what physical form the amiibo takes. 00 is figure, 01 is card, 02 is plush, and 03 is band. Since this Isabelle amiibo is a figure, the value is 00. Simple!

Leading off the back half of this string of data are four characters that are very important here. This can be called the amiibo’s print/model/ID number or whatever you wanna call it (I’ll refer to these as “amiibo ID numbers” or simply “IDs” here), but basically it’s a unique identifier that’s different for each specific amiibo release. This value is how games can tell the difference between amiibo that are otherwise identical in their identification data outside of this value. For example, the Super Mario series Mario, Mario - Gold Edition, Mario - Silver Edition, and Mario (Wedding Outfit) all share the same identification data (00000000xxxx0102) except this ID number. These IDs start with the Smash Bros. Mario amiibo at 0000 and are assigned to new amiibo sequentially, with very few instances of IDs that are skipped and left unused. But these rare gaps in ID numbers have been reliable in giving us hints towards future amiibo releases multiple times before—some notable example being the Breath of the Wild Champion amiibo being expected months in advance and the Animal Crossing Series 5 amiibo cards being similarly foreshadowed, both of which I had discovered myself simply by looking at the data. Anyway, more on these ID gaps soon.

After the aforementioned ID number, there are two final bytes. The first of which are two characters that signify the specific amiibo series—00 being Smash Bros., 01 being Super Mario, etc. For Isabelle here, 05 is Animal Crossing, which is used for both the figures and card series. After this series value, the final byte always consists of 02. And that’s it!

Sorry if that was a lot of info, but now you hopefully have an understanding of how amiibo identification works within the data (if you didn't already), and how this identification data can lead to interesting observations like what I'm about to detail. So, onto the exciting stuff!

Remember those rare instances of ID gaps I mentioned above? Here’s where they come into play. Because amiibo IDs are almost never skipped, it’s extremely likely that the few that are skipped actually do belong to unknown, unreleased amiibo—some of which may just not have been announced or released yet, while others might have been planned to release at one point but ultimately cancelled. Based on the known amiibo that come before and after them and how many unused IDs there are in a gap, we can make some educated guesses as to their true identities. But before I get into which amiibo may be hiding among these ID gaps, I’m gonna eliminate the gaps that I can assure you aren’t hiding anything:

Previous ID​
Unused ID(s)​
Following ID​
01D8
K.K. (Pikopuri)
Animal Crossing series
01D9–0237​
Mario - Classic Color
Super Mario 30th Anniversary series
02C2
Pink Gold Peach (Horse Racing)
Mario Sports Superstars series
02C3–02E0​
02E1
One-Eyed Rathalos & Rider (Boy)
Monster Hunter Stories series
031E
Toby
Animal Crossing series
031F–034A​
034B
Link - Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda series
03D7
Faith
Animal Crossing series
03D8–040B​
040C
Razewing Ratha
Monster Hunter Stories series

These ID gaps all share one thing in common—they’re immediately preceded by large series of amiibo cards. It seems that Nintendo allocates extra IDs for these amiibo card series, perhaps in case they intend to release more cards later, like what happened with the Animal Crossing promo cards. The Animal Crossing amiibo cards Series 1–4 take up 400 IDs—100 per series. Then the 5 promo cards come right after Series 4, but there are another 95 unused IDs after that—that’s because Nintendo saved another batch of 100 IDs for these promo cards, even though they only used 5. The same is true for the Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo series; 100 IDs were reserved for that, with half being used for the 50 cards in that series, plus the 6 Sanrio cards right after that, leaving 44 empty spots. And once again, another 100 IDs were reserved for Animal Crossing: New Horizons’s Series 5 cards, of which only 48 were used, leaving 52 unused.

The Mario Sports Superstars cards are similar to the Animal Crossing cards, but that series saves 120 IDs instead of the usual 100, 90 of which are used while 30 remain unused. Nintendo probably saved an extra 20 IDs there in case they wanted to release a set of promo cards (maybe, like, one or two for each of the 18 characters), but they never did. The Shadow Mewtwo card, Jikkyō Powerful Pro Baseball cards, and Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel cards (and the Super Mario Cereal amiibo, since that's technically classified as a card too, lol) aren’t really whole series like the others so they don’t follow this same trend of allocating batches of 100 or so IDs regardless of whether the series will actually use all of those IDs; instead there are no skipped IDs at all after each of those, as is the case with the vast majority of amiibo.

So, basically, we can just ignore the above ID gaps, because they’re clearly just placeholder IDs. The ones below, however, are almost certainly more than just placeholders, and very likely belong to unreleased amiibo!

Previous ID​
Unused ID(s)​
Following ID​
003A
Chibi-Robo
Chibi-Robo! series
003B​
003C
Mario - Gold Edition
Super Mario series
023B
(Dark)* Turbo Charge Donkey Kong
Skylanders SuperChargers series
023C​
023D
Mewtwo
Super Smash Bros. series
Toon Link - The Wind Waker
0351​
Zelda - The Wind Waker
Zelda - Breath of the Wild
0357​
Daruk - Breath of the Wild
Link - Link’s Awakening
039A​
039B
Mario Power-Up Band
Super Nintendo World series
Inkling (Yellow)
Splatoon series
0416–0417
[2 IDs]​
Link - Tears of the Kingdom
042D
Malzeno
Monster Hunter Rise series
042E–042F
[2 IDs]​
Golden Power-Up Band
Super Nintendo World series
*Both Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Dark Turbo Charge Donkey Kong (as well as Hammer Slam Bowser and Dark Hammer Slam Bowser) share the same amiibo ID; while the Skylanders side does differentiate between the normal and Dark variants, they’re identical in data on the amiibo side, so there isn’t a separate ID for Dark Turbo Charge Donkey Kong following 023B.

The first two unused IDs are 003B between Chibi-Robo and Mario - Gold Edition, and 023C between Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Mewtwo. These two are hard to crack. We don’t really have much in the way of hints towards what either of these two could have been, and given how long it’s been by this point I’m not sure we’ll ever know. I do believe that there’s a good possibility that one of them, likely the latter (023C), may have been the scrapped transformable Arwing amiibo that Miyamoto has talked about. Based on the information Miyamoto shared, it seems like that amiibo may have gotten fairly far along in development before it was shelved, so it’s possible that it could have made it far enough into the production process to have been assigned an ID, which would explain one of those unused IDs. As for the other ID…I’ve got no clue, really. Whatever it was, it seems to have been planned and scrapped very early on, since the only amiibo that come before it are the initial Smash for 3DS / Wii U amiibo, Super Mario amiibo, and the Chibi-Robo amiibo.

Moving on, the next couple instances of unused IDs can both very comfortably be identified as belonging to the Zelda series. One—0351—falls between Toon Link - The Wind Waker and Zelda - The Wind Waker, and the other—0357—between Zelda - Breath of the Wild and Daruk - Breath of the Wild. These unreleased amiibo seem to have more hints towards their existence than others, including known product codes (a four-letter code that nearly all amiibo have that are similar in concept but different from amiibo IDs; you can generally find these codes on the bottom of an amiibo’s base or in the URL for an amiibo’s page on the Japanese website, for example) based on gaps in the sequence (again, not unlike amiibo IDs)—these are AKAH and AKAP, respectively. The possibilities for what these two amiibo could be are much narrower than other unused IDs, given that they’re very obviously Zelda series amiibo, and their locations seem to imply one being from The Wind Waker and the other being from Breath of the Wild. The former is probably either Tetra, Ganondorf, or Tingle from The Wind Waker (with Tetra being the most likely, I’d say), while the latter is likely...well, something from Breath of the Wild. Maybe Kass? A second Zelda? A third Link?? Possibly even a mega-sized Calamity Ganon amiibo?! It’s kinda hard to say, but it’s pretty safe to assume that whatever it is, it’s from Breath of the Wild. (My guess as to what’s most likely is a second Zelda in one of her other outfits.) Whether these amiibo were truly scrapped or are just being held back for some reason remains unknown. I would hope that one or both of these amiibo may still be released eventually, but it looks unlikely at this point sadly…

The next unused ID is 039A, between Link - Link’s Awakening and the Mario Power-Up Band. Amusingly enough, this one may also be another scrapped/unreleased Zelda amiibo, given that it immediately follows the Link’s Awakening amiibo. Perhaps a Marin amiibo? However, unlike 0351 and 0357, there isn’t a gap left in the product codes for a second Link’s Awakening amiibo; the product code for Link - Link’s Awakening is AKAV, and the one for Zelda & Loftwing - Skyward Sword is AKAW, leaving no unused product code between the two, so it’s probably unlikely that it’s a second Link’s Awakening amiibo after all. But if it’s not that, then I’m honestly not sure what else it could be. Like 003B and 023C, this one doesn’t really give us a whole lot to work with, unfortunately.

Next we have what might be the weirdest gap between known IDs: 0416 and 0417. Previously, this was a larger gap of five unused IDs between Inkling (Yellow) and Octoling (Blue), but we now know that three of those IDs (specifically 0418–041A) belong to the Tears of the Kingdom amiibo. Yes, for some reason there are 5 seemingly unrelated IDs separating the Splatoon 3 Inkling amiibo from the Octoling and Smallfry amiibo, which all released together. It’s quite bizarre, and I’m not sure why they would have split those three up like that. I had speculated before that three of those IDs could be amiibo for Shiver, Fry, and Big Man, but Link - Tears of the Kingdom ended up being 0418, and datamining has revealed that the upcoming Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom and Ganondorf - Tears of the Kingdom amiibo are 0419 and 041A, leaving us with only two unused IDs between Inkling (Yellow) and Link - Tears of the Kingdom, so it seems unlikely now that they would be related to Splatoon 3 at all. It’s very possible that this is where the upcoming Noah and Mio amiibo are going to fit in, or it could be something else…

Finally, the last of the observable unused IDs are 042E and 042F, two IDs between Malzeno and the Golden Power-Up Band. As with the previous two unused IDs, it’s very possible that these may be the upcoming Noah and Mio amiibo as well. Either way, though, that still leaves us with another two unknown IDs! So, assuming they’re not scrapped amiibo, we’re due for two more unknown amiibo that have yet to be officially announced!

Aside from what’s been officially announced, however, we can expect that we’ll very likely be getting more Power-Up Bands in the future. We actually know that four more Power-Up Bands have been planned, specifically, thanks to our own @MondoMega discovering evidence of unreleased Power-Up Bands for Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, and Toadette via datamining the official Super Nintendo World mobile app. It’s possible that two of these Power-Up Bands might account for either of the last two gaps of two unused IDs.

So yeah, what we can gather from the current gaps in amiibo IDs is that there were seemingly two unreleased The Legend of Zelda amiibo planned at one point (one for The Wind Waker and one for Breath of the Wild), and that we’re likely due for at least two other new amiibo to be announced relatively soon. I assume that most of the older unused IDs are just cancelled amiibo that will probably never release at this point, unfortunately.

But before I’m done here, I want to present one more thing in regard to the speculation of unreleased amiibo—series IDs. That is, the byte that immediately follows the individual amiibo ID numbers and tells which amiibo series (not game franchise) an amiibo is from. Because, just like with the individual amiibo IDs, there are some gaps in these series IDs, too! Currently, there are only two—08 and 0B.

Code:
00  Super Smash Bros.
01  Super Mario
02  Chibi-Robo!
03  Yoshi’s Woolly World
04  Splatoon
05  Animal Crossing
06  Super Mario Bros. 30th
07  Skylanders SuperChargers
09  The Legend of Zelda
0A  Shovel Knight
0B
0C  Kirby
0D  Pokémon
0E  Mario Sports Superstars
0F  Monster Hunter Stories
10  BOXBOY!
11  Pikmin
12  Fire Emblem
13  Metroid
14  Dark Souls / Super Mario Cereal
15  Mega Man
16  Diablo
17  Jikkyō Powerful Pro Baseball
18  Monster Hunter Rise
19  Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel
––
FF  Super Nintendo World

Super Nintendo World is given the absolute highest value that a series ID can have at FF, which is surely intentional, so we can obviously ignore the massive gap in IDs between it and Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel. And, yes, Dark Souls shares a series ID with Super Mario Cereal. Why? I have no idea. One’s a figure and one’s (technically) a card, though, so it works out fine I guess, but it’s amusing nonetheless.

But that’s not all! Remember those product codes I talked about? They’re structured similarly, with the first two characters signifying the amiibo type (figure, card, plush, or band) and amiibo series, while the following two characters denote each individual amiibo release in that series. These codes only use the characters A–Z (excluding I and O). So, for example, the Super Smash Bros. Mario amiibo would be AAAA, with Super Smash Bros. Peach being AAAB, and so on, while the Super Mario series Mario amiibo is ABAA, with Super Mario series Luigi being ABAB, etc., and the Mario Sports Superstars cards start at MDAA.

Anyway, just as with the amiibo series IDs above, these product codes also have gaps that may give us some insight into unreleased amiibo! Currently, the gaps in figure product codes are AD, AG, AV, and AW, and the gaps for cards are MB and MF (however I’m somewhat convinced that those latter two are intentional gaps left by Nintendo for the Animal Crossing cards in case they ended up releasing enough cards in either series that it would have to overflow into a second series value).

Code:
Figure:
AA  Super Smash Bros.
AB  Super Mario
AC  Chibi-Robo!
AD
AE  Splatoon
AF  Super Mario Bros. 30th
AG
AH  Shovel Knight
AJ  Animal Crossing
AK  The Legend of Zelda
AL  Kirby
AM  Monster Hunter Stories
AN  BOXBOY!
AP  Pikmin
AQ  Fire Emblem
AR  Metroid
AS  Detective Pikachu
AT  Dark Souls
AU  Mega Man
AV
AW
AX  Monster Hunter Rise
AY
AZ

??  Skylanders, Diablo

Card:
MA  Animal Crossing amiibo cards Series 1–5
MB
MC  Pokkén Tournament
MD  Mario Sports Superstars
ME  Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo / Sanrio Collaboration Pack
MF
MG  Jikkyō Powerful Pro Baseball
MH  Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel

??  Super Mario Cereal

Plush:
YA  Yoshi’s Woolly World

Band:
??  Super Nintendo World

The Skylanders, Diablo, and Super Mario Cereal amiibo presumably don’t have product codes because they weren’t manufactured or distributed by Nintendo. The Super Nintendo World Power-Up Bands might have product codes, but if they do I’ve not been able to confirm what they are yet. If they do have product codes, it’d be on the boxes they ship from, assuming they’re even manufactured/distributed by Nintendo at all—it may be all Universal’s doing, in which case I’d assume they don’t have product codes after all.

So what does this information tell us? Again…not a whole lot, unfortunately. I believe it may be possible that series IDs 08 and 0B and product codes AD and AG might be related, though. I think one may correspond to a Star Fox amiibo series (probably 08, and either AG or AD) since we know there was a transforming Arwing amiibo that was cancelled due to issues meeting safety guidelines for children, and the other (0B and AD/AG) might be a Mario Kart amiibo series for reasons that I’ll explain towards the end here. Interestingly, both would have presumably been amiibo with small moving parts, which could explain why they were both cancelled if they couldn’t meet CPSIA certification. The AV and AW product codes are very interesting, though. Since those are still relatively recent, there’s a chance that one or both may be for unreleased amiibo that are still set to be announced sometime, but it’s impossible to say for sure.

So that’s the series IDs and product codes, but it doesn’t end there, either! Some other interesting gaps in data can be observed in the franchise/character IDs and character variant IDs. I won’t go too in depth on that here since I’ve already detailed so much, but some notable examples include a gap between Mario’s character variants for Dr. Mario (01) and Cat Mario (03) which implies that there was another Mario variant amiibo planned at some point—maybe a Mario Kart amiibo like I mentioned above?!—and a gap between Tiki (2109) and Byleth (210B) in the Fire Emblem character data that suggests the existence of an unknown Fire Emblem amiibo that hasn’t released—perhaps a cancelled Lyn amiibo that was going to release alongside Chrom and Tiki for Fire Emblem Warriors? Just a guess.

Other examples include a gap of eight IDs between Toad (000A) and Daisy (0013)—maybe for Toadette and the 7 Koopalings?—plus one skipped ID between Goomba (0015) and Boo (0017), followed by another gap of eleven IDs until Koopa Troopa (0023); one skipped ID between Wolf Link (0003) and Daruk (0005); two skipped IDs between Falco (0581) and Wolf (0584)—just enough room to squeeze Slippy and Peppy right after Fox and Falco; and finally one skipped ID between Olimar (0640) and Pikmin (0642)—very likely for Alph, I’d assume. For character variant IDs, we’re also missing a variant of Zelda between Sheik (01) and Zelda & Loftwing (03), which is probably Tetra, which would also align with the missing The Wind Waker amiibo.

Now, it’s very unlikely that all of these skipped character IDs are for characters that actually have amiibo planned to be released for them, because there are simply too many compared to the number of unused amiibo IDs we know of. It’s most likely just Nintendo future-proofing the list of character IDs on a case by case basis per franchise just in case they do make amiibo for any of them in the future. They’ve already done this on a much larger scale for the Pokémon and Animal Crossing amiibo, with character IDs reserved for all Pokémon by Pokédex number, and character IDs reserved for all Animal Crossing characters by species (…which Nintendo chose to throw out entirely with the Series 5 Animal Crossing cards, for some reason, but that’s beside the point, lol).

I did see a post before that claimed that datamining the original Super Mario Maker revealed that the amiibo character ID between Wolf Link and Daruk (0004) unlocks the Tingle costume in that game, which would seemingly confirm that character ID as Tingle (and may even suggest that the unreleased The Wind Waker amiibo was actually Tingle rather than Tetra or Ganondorf); additionally, that same post claimed that a Mario (0000) amiibo with the series ID set to 0B (one of the two skipped series IDs) unlocks the Kart Mario costume, implying that series 0B is actually for some unreleased Mario Kart amiibo. But I’ve not been able to find more confirmation of this anywhere online, and I’m no dataminer myself (at least outside of amiibo, since I guess looking at amiibo data like this is technically datamining to some degree, lol) and I wouldn’t even know where to begin trying to check it myself, so I’m not entirely sure how credible this is. I have heard that a number of Super Mario Maker costumes are coded to be able to be unlocked with amiibo that don’t actually exist yet, though, so a deep dive into that data could be very interesting and revealing.

Finally, if anyone would like to look through this amiibo data for themselves, @MondoMega has compiled a comprehensive spreadsheet that lists everything!

Last edited:
Wow, @Tye, that is one mind-blowing and enlightening post! Thanks for all of your hard work on it. I learned a lot and I knew basically nothing about amiibo datamining going in. With that last bit about Super Mario Maker costumes being unlocked by unreleased amiibo...gives me a bit of hope that a Nabbit amiibo could happen!

Wow, @Tye, that is one mind-blowing and enlightening post! Thanks for all of your hard work on it. I learned a lot and I knew basically nothing about amiibo datamining going in. With that last bit about Super Mario Maker costumes being unlocked by unreleased amiibo...gives me a bit of hope that a Nabbit amiibo could happen!
I didn't understand, but...am I going to get my Doshin the Giant amiibo?!
The Super Mario Maker part is unverified, so I’d take it with a grain of salt unless someone is able to look into the game’s code and share actual proof that it exists, but if it is true it doesn’t mean that Nintendo actually has plans to release amiibo for everything they may have coded to be able to be unlocked via an amiibo, just that they future-proofed some just in case. And I don’t know if this applies to Nabbit or not, but I’m pretty certain Nintendo wouldn’t have been anticipating a possible Doshin the Giant amiibo, sorry, lol.

The Super Mario Maker part is unverified, so I’d take it with a grain of salt unless someone is able to look into the game’s code and share actual proof that it exists, but if it is true it doesn’t mean that Nintendo actually has plans to release amiibo for everything they may have coded to be able to be unlocked via an amiibo, just that they future-proofed some just in case. And I don’t know if this applies to Nabbit or not, but I’m pretty certain Nintendo wouldn’t have been anticipating a possible Doshin the Giant amiibo, sorry, lol.

DAMN!

Hopefully they will sell an actuall Pinball amiibo inspired by Odama.

Back
Top Bottom