• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | Review Thread (see staff post)

Which interview is that since I think that was the one I was thinking of. Regardless “show us the practical results first” is right.

Currently XC is in a growth phase however we don’t know what that looks like once it stops growing. Does it have a stable sales bracket? Will it lose people? Will it continue to grow. Is that steady? Or is that slow? Etc. I think we’ll have our answers in the next 2 releases. Also you could steadily increase the budget to allow more freedom until the gravy train halts.
it's the interview with takahashi and harada: this one https://nintendoeverything.com/mono...t-dabbling-with-other-genres-outside-of-rpgs/

but yeah xenoblade is in an amazing place, xenoblade 2 was a huge boost to the series and now they just need to capitalize with xeno 3 being an amazing game which looks to be that way. I think if everything goes right xenoblade could grow into the premiere rpg from nintendo and sell on the 4-5 million copies

The polygon review has me concerned

I fell off of XC2 when things became a bit too complicated for me to manage. I did get pretty far in it and did enjoy what I played though

I know it's written by a newcomer to the franchise, so I'll be following once people get their hands on the game
Happy it's getting good scores!

Takhashi may want 10 million plus. Not going to happen. It would be great, but he is also setting some really darn lofty expectations.

I mean he is, and he's definitely aware, but this is all completely irrelevant.
I want many things too personally, but I am also realistic.

No, you aren't. You are defaulting to nintendoom as 'realistic'.

Realistically, nobody has any idea what's going to happen, until it happens.
And respectable, as in breaking out the way Fire Emblem did and each entry maintaining momentum. To be a consistent seller with a strong following, even if not a 10 million seller.

That definition of respectable is not under contention.

Looking at Kirby because it is a classic example of a beloved and popular series that consistently sells well, but will never sell what Mario or hell, even Mario Party ever will. Or even Fire Emblem for the most part with its resurgence.

Forgotten world has already smoked 3 houses opening, and could very easily surpass 3 houses next time we see numbers, so that's a dicey one to use. Also, Kirby is not fire emblem, or Xenoblade, and showing Kirby has not reached the next sales bracket (forgotten world currently outstanding) doesn't prove anything except Kirby's sales history.

And hard to say with BoTW. It may be a middle ground between BotW and Ocarina or Twilight Princess. So 15-17 million I am going to bet.
That would be well within the ballpark of exceeding a fluke and sustaining sales momentum for a sequel.

Last edited:
I mean he is, and he's definitely aware, but this is all completely irrelevant.

No, you aren't. You are defaulting to nintendoom as 'reasonable'.

That definition of respectable is not under contention.

Forgotten world has already smoked 3 houses opening, and could very easily surpass 3 houses next time we see numbers, so that's a dicey one to use. Also, Kirby is not fire emblem, or Xenoblade, and showing Kirby has not reached the next sales bracket (forgotten world currently outstanding) doesn't prove anything except Kirby's sales history.

That would be well within the ballpark of exceeding a fluke and sustaining sales momentum for a sequel.

Not Nintendoom at all. Because I don’t see it as doomed. Just being realistic regarding a console exclusive JRPG in the modern market. In the meantime, I think selling well enough that we get more entries is just great. Would it be great if it sells more than 10m? Sure. I just don’t see it happening and becoming a top dog as much as I love the series. If it ever happens, great.

Kirby did pass 3m, but it’s also a new direction for the series but I don’t expect it to pass 5-6m. If it does, I’ll admit I was wrong gladly.

People expecting Botw2 to have much weaker sales underestimate the impact of the first game. As an example, we saw barely anything of Botw2 this year and it was still one of the most tweeted games of the first 6 months. I don't expect it to match the first game's near 30 million but it will still be above 25 million.

Did Takahashi really say their aim is 10 million? If so, then I think they'll have a long journey to get there. But I'm sure they'll get there. If FromSoft can make a 20 million seller, then MonolithSoft can surely do 10.
the only way for Xenoblade to make it to 10M is a radical redesign of everything. Takahashi doesn't really make FromSoft style games. nor do people really take to that. the closest being Xenoblade X (and that's not even close).

People expecting Botw2 to have much weaker sales underestimate the impact of the first game. As an example, we saw barely anything of Botw2 this year and it was still one of the most tweeted games of the first 6 months. I don't expect it to match the first game's near 30 million but it will still be above 25 million.
yeah botw made zelda a huge series, bigger than ever before and the game is probably coming at the start of a new generation or whatever drake is so it will probably have the same legs that botw had. Selling just 16-17 would be a huge dissapointment for this sequel.

Not Nintendoom at all. Because I don’t see it as doomed. Just being realistic regarding a console exclusive JRPG in the modern market. In the meantime, I think selling well enough that we get more entries is just great. Would it be great if it sells more than 10m? Sure. I just don’t see it happening and becoming a top dog as much as I love the series. If it ever happens, great.

This doesn't really matter, it's not about being great or not, that was never part of the discussion. The series started at great. It's had great on lock the whole time. It's about what's required to make it to the next sales bracket. If it doesn't reach it, it just doesn't reach it.

Kirby did pass 3m, but it’s also a new direction for the series but I don’t expect it to pass 5-6m. If it does, I’ll admit I was wrong gladly.

Seems like a return to form to me, like a 3d Kirby's adventure I've been waiting for since...... Kirby's adventure. But that's beside the point.

5-6 million would be enough to reach the next general sales bracket in the context established in this conversation, but it doesn't matter whether or not it reaches it. There's no right or wrong there. That's not what this is about. whether it reaches it or not, that's still the next bracket.

@ILikeFeet
the only way for Xenoblade to make it to 10M is a radical redesign of everything. Takahashi doesn't really make FromSoft style games. nor do people really take to that. the closest being Xenoblade X (and that's not even close).

He is very well aware of this. Called it a limit to his games sales. While the translation seemed to indicate a more gradual change, than a radical one he definitely stated an intent to adapt to reach his goal.

Should be a wild ride.

Last edited:
People also didn't take to Souls game for the longest time. It took going multiplat, a PC release, a fan patch and a lot of time for DS1 to sell 5 million. Then DS3 got to 10, and now ER is at 20.

Obviously Xeno doesn't have the advantage of being multiplatform so this process is going to be slower, although being an exclusive also helps bring attention and marketing from the console manufacturers. More than anything, it all comes down to word of mouth. What Souls fans and Xeno fans have in common is their ravenous love and advocacy for the games. Looking at the reviews and glowing impressions from long time fans, I'm certain Xeno 3 will hit 3 million in its first year and slowly get to 4 million. Who knows, maybe even 5. Let's also not forget that Xenoblade is the only open world JRPG series in the market right now. Being open world definitely helped ER and it will definitely help Xenoblade 3 and whatever else MonolithSoft makes next.

They are. Those problems should not be at play here, with numbers this old, which is why I have no problem using vantells provided numbers. They match everything else that is currently known, until the next white paper drops.

I thought those numbers were extrapolated from a Nintendo investor meeting back in 2020, after XBDE hit it's launch 1.3 mil, when the Xenoblade franchise broke 5 million unit sales.
If that's not the case, then I guess we'd have to throw vantells numbers out.

I stated that was Takahashi's next goal, to get the budget he wants. Which it is. That's what he said. You can tell him he's jumping the shark if you want to. I'm not going to tell him. I'll watch though. From like around a corner or something.

As for me, I stated it was 2 steps, or, in this context general ballpark sales brackets from where Xenoblade currently is. So not sure where you are getting shark jumping from.

Of course that doesn't mean it HAS to take 2 times to get there, it can be, 3 or 4 monolithsoft games. Or even a wild xb3 switch ride that makes it in one go. Who knows. This system is unpredictable.
I usually check this thread or the other Nintendo sales thread by Celine on InstallBase. Note you’ll need an account to see everything.

Regardless, user Peelo made some amazing charts for Nintendo sales.
0NyFTfD.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console ; Green = Hybrid Console
*inconclusive sales figures

After checking VGSales wiki for their sources they don’t have anything pertaining to the 2020 Financial Report. Only the 2021 one which does not contain Xenoblade. I went searching both in Celine’s thread & for the White Papers but forums nothing. They don’t even have the 6mil franchise sales sourced. Looking at VGChartz for XC1 they have ‘N/A’ for both NA & EU & nothing in the Others column. Yet, somehow they were able to extrapolate .43m, .25m, & .07m with no source or reasoning as to how they got there. I think it safe to say that they aren’t putting the best foot forward. And, there is a reason why many a analyst & site don’t use them.

I usually check this thread or the other Nintendo sales thread by Celine on InstallBase. Note you’ll need an account to see everything.

Regardless, user Peelo made some amazing charts for Nintendo sales.
0NyFTfD.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console ; Green = Hybrid Console
*inconclusive sales figures

After checking VGSales wiki for their sources they don’t have anything pertaining to the 2020 Financial Report. Only the 2021 one which does not contain Xenoblade. I went searching both in Celine’s thread & for the White Papers but forums nothing. They don’t even have the 6mil franchise sales sourced. Looking at VGChartz for XC1 they have ‘N/A’ for both NA & EU & nothing in the Others column. Yet, somehow they were able to extrapolate .43m, .25m, & .07m with no source or reasoning as to how they got there. I think it safe to say that they aren’t putting the best foot forward. And, there is a reason why many a analyst & site don’t use them.

Well I guess that's that then. Nothing personal vantell, but I certainly can't argue with this.

How's the tutorialising?

That's probably the biggest obstacle with XC2. The battle system is very complex and the tutorialising isn't great.

If they've improved it this time, that'll be a big help.

Not that it matters much to me. The game is arriving Friday regardless.

How's the tutorialising?

That's probably the biggest obstacle with XC2. The battle system is very complex and the tutorialising isn't great.

I'm still on blackout so I can only regurgitate, but what I've heard is it's a pretty vast improvement on the tutorial level, and access to tutorials for checking and reminding and stuff

Absolutely. BotW 2 will have one of the biggest launches in Nintendos history. Its a sequel to one of the most acclaimed games ever and BotW itself is an absolute evergreen juggernaut. Especially for a singleplayer only game.

How's the tutorialising?

Much better. The downside is it's a little slow (they make you select certain menu options and gate the other options during that tutorial segment for example), but it's much much better. Good slow roll-out of features too.

Well I guess that's that then. Nothing personal vantell, but I certainly can't argue with this.
It’s all god. Wish we had more transparency in numbers for everyone involved instead of trying to extrapolate them, especially for older numbers. Like people stil use Nagoshi’s 1.5mil number for F-Zero when we know it didn’t even reach that.

Maybe we can uh, persuade the reviewers that aren't finished yet to see things the famiboard way. Give em an offer they can't refuse.

Like some cookies or muffins.
I am all for that approach. Since it has been established that the Nintendo Ninjas lurk here, maybe we can propose a partnership with them to help these reviewers realize the errors of their ways. It would be all for the good of our extended Nintendo family, so I am sure a deal can be arranged.

Dangit I'm getting swept up in the Quest for 90 like I did for Dread.

Does meta/open critic count the popular youtube review channels?

Like EZ Allies, GameXplain, SwitchUp, etc.

They aren't "publications" perse, but I'd bet their reach in terms of 👀 greatly outstrips the majority of the posted score sources I see at a glance.

I checked the reviews of both DE and 2, some reviews came out 3-4 late for both. so it might take a while for the final score to appear. A 90 is still possible.
As for OC, we just need to wait for youtube reviews to go up.

They aren't "publications" perse, but I'd bet their reach in terms of 👀 greatly outstrips the majority of the posted score sources I see at a glance.
Not sure about switch up. But EZ Allies is one Meta.

On opencritic, EZA and Gamexplain are counted. Switch up isn't.

Xenoblade's Metacritic, using whatever arcane formula they use, must be improving - it's nudged ahead of Neon and become the year's best-rated Switch title so far, though it's yet to move up from 89. Yesterday when I checked, Neon was #1 and Xenoblade #2.

Thx all, good to know popular youtube channels are factored in :coffee:

I scanned the meta page and didn't see any "click here to watch" or references to "gamexplain". Must be those big video channel reviews are incoming. Exciting!

Guess channels like SwitchUp (at ~200k subs) is still too small to be counted.

(sidenote: This Pocket Tactics review might be the most hype I've seen yet ... didn't realize the depth of the Heroes gameplay involvement and side-quests)

Edge might also be a reviewer with a high weighting on Metacritic, I guess? They gave XBC a 9, but XBX and XB2 were both 7s. XB3 seems like a less divisive game and is clearly better received among critics than either X or 2, so I wonder if it's going to be an 8 or 9 in Edge.

Scores aren't important to me, but I am now grimly attached to the Excellent Switch Games Under 90 on Metacritic Saga.

Edge might also be a reviewer with a high weighting on Metacritic, I guess? They gave XBC a 9, but XBX and XB2 were both 7s. XB3 seems like a less divisive game and is clearly better received among critics than either X or 2, so I wonder if it's going to be an 8 or 9 in Edge.

Scores aren't important to me, but I am now grimly attached to the Excellent Switch Games Under 90 on Metacritic Saga.
90 is a lock if edge gives it a 9. I think they're in like the top 5 highest weighted for games

90 is a lock if edge gives it a 9. I think they're in like the top 5 highest weighted for games
Yeah I think Edge giving Dread an 8 was basically the death knell for that game getting to a 90 (though I think it already seemed unlikely at that point)

Not super optimistic about XC3 making it either but it would sure be neat if it does. If not, well, we'll probably repeat this with Bayonetta in a couple months

Yeah I think Edge giving Dread an 8 was basically the death knell for that game getting to a 90 (though I think it already seemed unlikely at that point)

Not super optimistic about XC3 making it either but it would sure be neat if it does. If not, well, we'll probably repeat this with Bayonetta in a couple months
yeah if it doesn't get a 9 from edge then the dream is dead unfortunately

So there's indeed weighting, but who knows exactly how it applies in practice because the score is congruent with the mere average. Right now is indeed at 89.61 going just by the aggregate.

However, another sub-80 and it's over, boys.

Slant magazine is also missing and they tend to be the most divisive. and because of how MC scores stars systems, it might be the one to block the 90 dream. Xeno 3 would need a 4.5/5 stars from them to be considered a 90 on mc. 4 stars would be an 80 and make it impossible.
There are still around 24 reviews missing if it gets the same ammount of revies as Definitive edition, so a 90 is still possible

So there's indeed weighting, but who knows exactly how it applies in practice because the score is congruent with the mere average. Right now is indeed at 89.61 going just by the aggregate.

However, another sub-80 and it's over, boys.
We'll just need to balance it out with a 10

Someone figure out what the Edge reviewer likes and send a metric ton of whatever it is to them, stat

89 v 90 doesn't matter to me in the sense that I have some massive investment in it, or that it would change my opinion of the game; but in light of multiple of my favourite Switch games landing in the high 80s club, it's fun to see if this one manages to break the curse.

the game got amazing reviews and a great average on both meta and open. one point higher or lower does not matter at all.
I mean, objectively, yes. It's not as if one point in MC matters, and the game is going to be just as good regardless of its metascore. I've loved tons of games with Metascores in the 80s and lower, a lot of them more so than most 90+ scoring games

But also I wouldn't be a fan of this genre if "numbers go up" wasn't a valid motivator for me, so bring on that 90

Please see the threadmarked staff post. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom