• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | Review Thread (see staff post)

We're talking about the visual aspects here. There's no doubt that BOTW is on another level in terms of physics and other simulation systems, thanks to a larger budget than Xenoblade games and a longer development time.

Another noteworthy aspect of Monolith Soft is their incredible productivity.
Xenoblade 2 = 2017
Torna TGC = 2018
Xenoblade DE = 2020
Xenoblade 3 = 2022
And all the while still helping out with Zelda in the background. Monolith are probably Nintendo's most prolific studio. They're like the anti-Retro.

when is edge supposed to release their review?
It's difficult to keep track of their issues and release dates. Their 'August' edition was published back in June.
Hopefully issue #375 or #376 will feature a review of Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

I'm also keeping tabs on the Guardian Newspaper/News Site - they've historically been very kind to the series, even with a variety of journalists writing articles about the games.

X - was awarded 5/5 Stars.
2 - 5/5 Stars also.
The first game + Definitive Edition were not assigned scores, but the reviews were glowingly positive.

Will they provide the final push to 90? :geek:

For me?

I would consider 4-5 million needed for xb3, on the switch as it is right now, to be a break from the current bracket beyond just changes in sales environment, and a retention or increase from the next brand entry to show it's not a fluke.

Ultimately, I share Takahashi's sentiment that 10 million plus is the end goal that's needed to secure the budget monolithsoft desires to truly make the xeno games they want.
Takahashi really said that? I like the man's ambitions! I remember back when developing X he said he was taking inspiration from Bethesda and Skyrim. Good for him! Such an inspiring attitude!

Guardian haven't reviewed any games since late May. Before that they were running pretty regularly every week or so. I'm not sure if they've taken lengthy breaks like that in the past, but their gaming coverage may have shifted away from reviews and more towards features and opinion pieces.

They're like the anti-Retro.
Why do people feel the need to make this comparison?

From what we know, Retro was average to above average in terms of efficiency up until whatever their last project was went awry. They released the entire Prime trilogy in a span of 5 years, jumped into an entirely new genre for them with DKCR three years later, and followed that up with their first HD game three years and change later (IIRC there were rumors Nintendo sat on TF to give 3D World room) - those last two games coinciding with having a hand in the majority of Mario Kart 7's tracks.

It's all the more reason their recent silence stings. Their shelved project seemed to have been in development for longer than any of the games they actually did release, and while Metroid Prime 4 can still be amazing, it's now also been in development for longer than any of their prior titles.

Sorry if this comes off as overly defensive - I just don't like seeing Retro be unnecessarily put down. It's not like Monolith Soft is immune to delays and long dev periods.

Why do people feel the need to make this comparison?

From what we know, Retro was average to above average in terms of efficiency up until whatever their last project was went awry. They released the entire Prime trilogy in a span of 5 years, jumped into an entirely new genre for them with DKCR three years later, and followed that up with their first HD game three years and change later (IIRC there were rumors Nintendo sat on TF to give 3D World room) - those last two games coinciding with having a hand in the majority of Mario Kart 7's tracks.

It's all the more reason their recent silence stings. Their shelved project seemed to have been in development for longer than any of the games they actually did release, and while Metroid Prime 4 can still be amazing, it's now also been in development for longer than any of their prior titles.

Sorry if this comes off as overly defensive - I just don't like seeing Retro be unnecessarily put down. It's not like Monolith Soft is immune to delays and long dev periods.
You're right, it's just the curiosity and frustration talking. Like you said, their track record until TF set expectations incredibly high, so that disappointment has been equally large. I didn't mean to put down the individual people working hard at Retro. Sorry it came out that way.

And all the while still helping out with Zelda in the background. Monolith are probably Nintendo's most prolific studio. They're like the anti-Retro.

They also helped out with both Splatoon 2 and the Octo Expansion, and very likely Splatoon 3 as well.

Monolith Soft, what a studio.

nothing is more useless then user scores
Eh, unless user review are acting in bad faith or bombing, user scores I feel are just as useful. Like, take this forum. I’ll take the insight of y’all here regarding a game quite highly, especially those that like certain styles of games that I also like.

Especially helpful for games that aren’t AAA blockbuster types where I feel many outlets will review a game equivalent of an MCU movie a high score but will give a really good indie or AA game a lower score because it’s “not pushing the medium forward” which to me means omg “big budget and showmanship”. Whereas I see games similar in a way to say, other creative works, where it is the sum of its parts, not whether it pushes something forward. The latter means nothing to me personally.

I play lots of indies and lots of games from small studios and I feel they aren’t taken very seriously with some exceptions.

Eh, unless user review are acting in bad faith or bombing, user scores I feel are just as useful. Like, take this forum. I’ll take the insight of y’all here regarding a game quite highly, especially those that like certain styles of games that I also like.

Especially helpful for games that aren’t AAA blockbuster types where I feel many outlets will review a game equivalent of an MCU movie a high score but will give a really good indie or AA game a lower score because it’s “not pushing the medium forward” which to me means omg “big budget and showmanship”. Whereas I see games similar in a way to say, other creative works, where it is the sum of its parts, not whether it pushes something forward. The latter means nothing to me personally.

I play lots of indies and lots of games from small studios and I feel they aren’t taken very seriously with some exceptions.
I was especially talking about Metacritic because I was looking at that mighty 5.8 User Score for Xenoblade 3.
The problem is you don't even need to own the game to score games.

Agree with all your points. And hey, shit happens. Seems their prior project didn’t not turn out well for them, and it got canned. That happens often. Even with EPD.

However on your last point, is this their longest project in dev? Prime 4 was announced a while ago under a different dev, and then it got completely rebooted with Retro. So it hasn’t been that long really if we count it as a new project.

I was especially talking about Metacritic because I was looking at that mighty 5.8 User Score for Xenoblade 3.
The problem is you don't even need to own the game to score games.
Oh for sure. That’s why I said with exception of bad faith trolling or review bombing.

For MC they are just all over the place. I wish they had a verified purchase but I know that’s impossible.

Eshop on Switch had user reviews for a hot minute and then it got taken away. Wish they brought it back because that can easily be verified.

Agree with all your points. And hey, shit happens. Seems their prior project didn’t not turn out well for them, and it got canned. That happens often. Even with EPD.

However on your last point, is this their longest project in dev? Prime 4 was announced a while ago under a different dev, and then it got completely rebooted with Retro. So it hasn’t been that long really if we count it as a new project.
It was rebooted 3.5 years ago, believe it or not - which is already just longer than the gap between Returns and Freeze. The time between now and release is all adding to that.

Nothing else took that long. Prime 3 was delayed and still only took 3 years from Prime 2 IIRC

I looked on Metacritic and is there a reason both IGN and IGN Brasil are counted when they are the same review?
Sometimes IGN Brasil does their own reviews, but for Nintendo games sometimes they just translate it. I guess this was one of the times. Metacritic should do something about that.

It was rebooted 3.5 years ago, believe it or not - which is already just longer than the gap between Returns and Freeze. The time between now and release is all adding to that.

Nothing else took that long. Prime 3 was delayed and still only took 3 years from Prime 2 IIRC
Oh wow. Maybe we remove one year row COVID lol now it’s only 2.5!

I just added a humble 10 for my user review (which comes after 20 hours of gameplay)!
I love this damn game....

Checking in on The Quest for 90 ... dang.

After few hours...or its quality will drop like a rock..or I will score it very high
So the fate of the world The 90 may rest on Aostia82's ample shoulders ...

I had sent an email telling them about it and they just answered me 19 minutes ago:

thanks, you're right, and that duplicate review has been removed,
Team player! Cheers! :coffee:

Unless the game pulls a Xenogears and the second half is just sitting in a chair and then half hearted boss battles, it's not even a contest.

This game is incredible.
Yeah I agree. It really isn't close and it kinda blows my mind several outlets rated 3 lower than 1. Different reviewers, sure, but if that reviewer played 1 and 2, it should be apparent? I wonder if Steam Deck has spoiled them on portable graphics.

User Score skyrocketed on 8.2 (454 votes). And if I had to guess, I'd say that it will get much higher (at least for user score).

Remember the context for the original release of Xenoblade - JRPGs were commonly perceived as being in the doldrums, with Final Fantasy XIII fresh in the mind, and Xenoblade, especially before the US release, had zero expectation attached. After the initial game made that splash out of nowhere, successive games in the series have had that to live up to. Even if 3 is better, it's hard to get around that impact because the pressure is on.

Fire Emblem Awakening has a higher metacritic than Fire Emblem Three Houses. Sometimes these break out hits end up with the higher average.

9.4/10

9/10

Last edited:
9.4/10

9/10
That 90 meta looking more promising everyday lol

I said this after Dread's release, but hoping that a game sitting at 89 will jump to 90 is just setting yourself up for disappointment. This in no way reflects the quality of the game - Dread is a top 5 Switch game for me, and while I haven't played Xenoblade 3 yet, by all accounts it's fantastic - just a reality of the trajectory of review scores.

More and more outlets are shifting from a 100-point scale to a 10-point scale. To average 90+ when everyone reviews on a 10-point scale, you need a 10/10 for every 8/10, and two 10/10s for every 7/10 - in essence, the vast majority of scores need to be either 9/10 or 10/10. This isn't impossible (hello, Elden Ring), but it's a much tougher ask than with reviewers using a 100-point scale. Hell, all it takes is one reviewer who is lukewarm on the game and gives it 5/10 and suddenly you need four more perfect scores.

Nintendo and Monolith have got to be extremely happy with how the game is reviewing. It was pretty clear that they were confident in the title from the marketing- it really deserves to sell well and bodes well for Nintendo giving larger budgets to the studio.

It's easily my favorite Xenoblade game

Please see the threadmarked staff post. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom