• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | Review Thread (see staff post)

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (89)
OpenCritic (88)

Eurogamer (essential):
Monolith Soft closes out its loosely connected trilogy of epic RPGs with its most adaptable, malleable and high-spirited adventure yet.

Nintendo Life (10/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a genuine masterpiece and the highlight of Monolith Soft's superb series thus far. There's an emotionally-charged and surprisingly edgy epic to get stuck into here, a sprawling and hugely engaging narrative populated by a cast of unforgettable characters that's backed up by some of the very best combat we've had the pleasure of getting to grips with in this genre to date. Over 100 hours into this one, we're as captivated now as we were when we first booted it up and it has more than delivered every bit of the adventure, emotion, and action that its signature start screen promised it might. Aionios awaits, it's time to seize the future.

VGC (5/5):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 delivers a massive world, and more than enough story and character to fill it, combined with the series’ most reactive combat system to date. While certainly a monster commitment, Aionios is an incredible place to live for a month or two.

RPG Site (10/10):
Between an exceptionally well-written cast, a deeply satisfying combat system, and an amazing adventure that remarkably earns its very long run time, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a JRPG masterpiece.

Digitally Downloaded (5/5):
Taken by itself, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a spectacular example of an epic JRPG. Yes, the combat system is a little too overcooked for its own good, but the developer holds your hand nicely so that by the 40th hour the explosion of numbers, flashy attacks, and intertwined systems somehow makes sense. Aside from that, though, it’s a game that, for its size, is one of elegance and maturity. And that’s when you take it by itself. Philosophical, humorous, emotional, dramatic and always entertaining, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is going to be better remembered not for being its own entity, but rather like the third chapter in any great trilogy; as the perfect escalation to an enormously satisfying and appropriately epic conclusion.

Screen Rant (5/5):
At its core, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a story of the pursuit of freedom and the endless possibilities of the future - and as a game, it's the embodiment of that theme, with an unrestrictive world and a blueprint for how to build a masterpiece JRPG moving forward.

Vooks (5/5):
There’s no such thing as a perfect video game, but for me, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 comes as close to perfect as you can get. It’s a thoughtful, charming, sombre experience, punctuated by expertly-crafted moments of joy and wonder that come together to leave a lasting impression that sticks with you long after you put down the controller. I don’t know what the future holds for the Xenoblade series, but I do know that, with Xenoblade Chronicles 3, it’s leaving a wonderful legacy in gaming.

Destructoid (9.5/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 didn’t need to do a whole lot to keep me invested, as I was all-in very early on. The cast, the weight of the story, and the freedom of party composition are the power trio that won me over.

Video Chums (9.1/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 continues the series' grand-scale story-telling in a masterful way. With its endearing cast of characters, awe-inspiring sense of exploration, and a soundtrack that will blow you away, this is yet another top-notch offering from Monolith Soft.

GAMINGbible (9/10):
Overall, I just can’t recommend Xenoblade Chronicles 3 enough. With the series’ most fleshed-out cast of characters yet, a thoroughly enthralling plot full of exciting twists and turns, rewarding side-content, a breathtaking open-world, and a combat system which is more fun than ever, this is an absolute behemoth of a JRPG that in no way outstays its lengthy runtime. Whether this is your first introduction to the series, or the instalment you’ve been anxiously anticipating for the last five years, you’re going to have an amazing time.

NintendoWorldReport (9/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the best playing game in the series. It is challenging yet excellently paced. I rarely found myself over or underleveled. The world unfolds naturally and effectively rather than through tedious field skill gates.

Siliconera (9/10):
While it’s unlikely to transcend genre preferences, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a gift for those who love JRPG trappings. There are lands to explore, combat systems to optimize, and lore implications for longtime franchise fans. And at the very least? You certainly get your money’s worth.

God is a Geek (9/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 changes things up in a good way, offering a twist on the most unique combat out there. It’s lengthy, engaging, warm, and probably the best RPG of the year. The best one yet, for sure.

PlaySense (9/10):
The story of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 drags you into an adventure that won't bore you for a second during 70 hours of gameplay. The different characters are varied and all very engaging. The soundtrack is magnificent and the world has a lot to discover and do. The combat also has enough to offer to keep you entertained for a long time and although battles are sometimes a bit too chaotic, this is something you can live with. You do have to take into account a relatively low resolution, but that is mainly due to the hardware. That being said, this is a must-have for the Nintendo Switch that you can buy blindly.

Shacknews (9/10):
The deep and engaging combat, customization, and exploration alongside the excellent music and narrative are all sorts of delicious icing on this cake of an adventure. Whether you’re a newbie to Xenoblade games or have played through the prior games, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 might be one of the better JRPGs to have graced the Xeno franchise throughout its lengthy history.

TheSixthAxis (9/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is another impressive and entertaining RPG experience from Monolith Soft. Its ever-deepening mystery plays out across one of the most beautiful fantasy landscapes of recent years, while its approach to party building and classes means that the experience continually evolves. For a game that asks questions about how you spend your time, you won’t want Xenoblade Chronicles 3 to finish.

WellPlayed (9/10):
It's not perfect, but Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a confident sequel that's best-in-class in the ways that matter most. Your favourite bits of the first two games are here, cherry-picked and placed into a narrative with a tasteful balance of earnest ideas and anime bullshit.

CGMagazine (9/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is an exemplary JRPG on the Nintendo Switch, improving on the already great titles that came out before it while still welcoming newcomers.

Twinfinite (4.5/5):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is an absolute must-buy for Switch owners who are looking to pick up their next game. No matter if you’re a longtime fan of the franchise or a first-timer, this game is one of the best RPGs on the Switch that can easily last hundreds of hours for players who never want to leave the world of Aionios.

IGN (8/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is another excellent JRPG with great characters, a unique world, and addictive tactical combat that remains entertaining even after the over 150 hours it took to complete it. For the first time in the series side quests are actually fun to do, and the class-swapping and Interlink Ouroburos mechanics keep the revised combat system feeling fresh long into the adventure. Plus, the story is worth seeing through to the end even though it’s overwritten and takes some meandering detours. At the same time there are a fair amount of odd game design choices, like its annoying and repetitive combat voice lines and uninteresting cookie-cutter boss fights, and it’s unfortunate that Aionios’ beauty seems held back by the Switch’s hardware. But none of that should deter you from going all-in on another fantastic odyssey in a series that is worthy of a massive amount of your time.

COGconnected (80/100):
This review might seem short, especially for such a gigantic game. There's just so much I can't disclose. Bits of the combat and the mechanics of course, but mainly the story. It's just much better if you experience these things yourself. I will say that this story manages to be both relatable and enormous. You want - almost desperately - to see how this thing shakes out. I wish the combat wasn't so sluggish at times. It almost obstructs the narrative, having to wade through these disconnected battles. But the quest system is engaging, and the battles do eventually make sense. The writing is great, and the voice acting is getting better with every game. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a gigantic, epic adventure. It's also bloated, hyperactive, and easily distracted. It's beautiful but flat, it's weird yet familiar. If you're looking for a massive new JRPG, the latest Xenoblade game is here for you.

Comicbook.com (4/5):
While I've joked while playing that Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was a great series of cutscenes with some fighting in between, the game gets away with its glut of cutaways because the story is quite good. Sure, people can see some of the twists coming from a mile away, but the core mystery is so intriguing and weird that you really want to keep playing to figure out just what the heck is going on.

Digital Trends (4/5):
Were I grading Xenoblade Chronicles 3 on story alone, it would be a 10 out of 10. If you get emotionally attached to characters, especially passionate ones who don’t want to hurt people and are just trying their best, then it’s a must-play. You just have to be ready for an action-RPG that isn't always the picture of elegance -- and be prepared to live with those quirks through a long, long adventure.

GameSpot (8/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 feels like the game Monolith Soft has been trying to craft for years. While its dialogue could have used an extra pass, it more than makes up for it with its wonderful story and superb combat. It's rare for a JRPG to hold my attention for a 100-hour runtime, but Xenoblade Chronicles 3 did it with confidence.

Stevivor (8/10):
My time with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was overwhelmingly positive. I’ve clocked a hundred hours at this stage, with the main story completed and PLENTY of side content still to go. If you want a big, meaty RPG to dedicate plenty of time, this game’s the one. But remember, soldiers only have ten years on the battlefield – and you might need that whole decade to see everything Aionios has to offer.

TrustedReviews (4/5):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a great action RPG with an outstanding story. The characters are likeable with engaging arcs, while the cut scenes offer jaw-dropping spectacle.

Game Informer (7.25/10):
My party of seven felt like a little army when explosive Arts and flashy Ouroboros combos lit up an already-chaotic battlefield. And the quality-of-life improvements like customizable shortcut hotbars and in-game GPS streamlined menu-surfing and traversal. Still, the narrative and world designs left much to be desired as critical plot twists are frustratingly obvious, character growth is virtually nonexistent, and navigation in each uninspired environment proves to be a tiring exercise. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a double-edged sword that needs a bit more sharpening.

Post Arcade (7/10):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 earns a modest thumbs up. It’s undeniably huge, delivering good bang for your RPG dollar, and has some interesting ideas on its mind. It’s no Final Fantasy or Zelda, but fans of sophisticated combat and Japanese storytelling should be well served.

PCMag (3.5/5):
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a massive JRPG with a unique story and deep combat that's tempered by all-too-familiar gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:
screenshot2022-07-26ah2j3v.png

Let's see if the critics do want something a bit meatier!

I don't usually participate in the review discourse but I am curious where this onel ands. I know I'll love it though.

I bought XC1 on launch day when most other Nintendo fans were busy claiming it was a third-party IP. I was hugely disappointed with the turn XC2 took, and didn't buy it as a result.
Looking at the complete picture. I would say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a better game then Xenoblade Chronicles 1. Then again I think both games are pretty much equally as good and just masterpieces in their own right. Xenoblade 2 definitely had some... questionable choices, but overall I thought the story was better. It had a slow start, but I enjoyed it more. Funny enough, when I played Xenoblade 1 I didn't like it at all on the Wii. Definitive Edition was stellar though :D.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 seems to be taking a lot of from all the games, including the DLC's. So I am really stoked about that.

Enjoyed both 1 & 2
Ready for 3

My controversial take of the day:
"I will probably enjoy 3 as well"
Don't take it personally please.

Still gonna go for 85. Lets see how it turns out.

I want to see good scores, but it really doesn’t matter in the end because I’m not refunding my preorder anyway.

I’ll go with 87.

2 is a straight 95 for me, especially the back half. Hoping this will review and sell well so we get more but in the end I already know I will love this game to death.

Maybe we should start a Metacritic game starting in August where we select a bunch of titles and try to accurately predict their score. Kinda like how the sales folks predict the sales figures.

Edit: this might be hard for August lmao

Will be having a hearty lunch by the time the reviews get published. Looking forward to it.
Hoping for a hypothetical range of 87-93.

Can we please drop the bashing of the second game in these threads relating to the newest entry; especially from people who haven't actually played 2. It's getting tiring. Go over to Resetera and create several alt-accounts to continue the beating of a long dead horse. It's laughable that the mods over there had to do some culling last week.

What turn
'Equally male-gazey but in a way I did not like as much,' I guess?

I really disliked a lot of the character design in XC2 but I enjoyed the game well enough. In my book, it got by on the strength of its environments and the insanely good score.
The ending felt like a cop-out, though

Had trouble getting into Xenoblade DE.

Xenoblade 2 would never have seen the light of day under Yamauchi, let's pray the series gets back on track today.

It's not a Xenoblade thread if the first page doesn't have some incredibly dumb takes about XC2.

Now we can officially continue.

It's incredible that it's been almost 5 years since XC2 and yet we still get weird takes that make it seems like a terrible mistake of a game with no redeming value in every xenoblade thread

Anyway 40 min left until chaos

I'm surprised Xenoblade 2 had an 83 score, but then again I'm not surprised seeing that the game gets a lot of crap from people.

If 3 is as good as 2 I'm going to be really happy, they're all masterpieces.

Remind me, Nintendo games usually have their review releases the wednesday before launch? Or even the day before?

Anyway, early reviews hopefully mean Nintendo is sure that this gamne will be a banger.

... Not that i think otherwise from what was shown so far (only official stuff, no leakes spoilers)

It’s not a Xenoblade Review thread if someone doesn’t take a jab at the previous entry within the first page. Lol. I remember people brutally attacking Xenoblade X back when 2 came out.

let's not do this.
Sorry, UK sarcasm kicking in. :cool:
It's crazy that it has already happened, and I don't understand the motivations behind doing it. I guess that a portion of the weirdness from NeoGAF trickled over and survived....or it's just the natural underhandedness on a very popular gaming forum nowadays.
I hope that this place doesn't inherit these bitter characters from elsewhere.

I expect between 87 and 91. And please be it 91 so people can at last get over Xenoblade 2 and dismissing it at every occasion.

I'm surprised Xenoblade 2 had an 83 score, but then again I'm not surprised seeing that the game gets a lot of crap from people.

at this point i'm just so used to it that I half expect that in 2080 the VR discussion zone about the upcoming XenoAircraftcarrier 4 will have people in it complaining about Xenoblade 2

Remind me, Nintendo games usually have their review releases the wednesday before launch? Or even the day before?

Anyway, early reviews hopefully mean Nintendo is sure that this gamne will be a banger.

... Not that i think otherwise from what was shown so far (only official stuff, no leakes spoilers)
Yes, usually it's on wednesday or the day before. Afaik this is the first time they released reviews this early.

this is the best jrpg ever made since the seminal "Xenoblade Chronicles 2" released. hoping it gets the recognition it deserves.
not to be too much of an English major, but if XC2 were seminal we would be seeing a lot more games taking inspiration from XC2.

DOOM is seminal.
BotW is seminal.
XC2, I dunno.

More surprised Torna is only 80, that’s potentially the least divisive one of the lot.

Please see the threadmarked staff post. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom