• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | Review Thread (see staff post)

Yeah, NO.
Xenoblade 3 texture details are on another level than BOTW. Please take a look more carefully at the structure, ground, geometry, material, and vegetation details for both games. Zelda BOTW details are blurry as hell, like they forgot to properly put a high-res version of those details.

large.jpg

q0qz8tstwdz71.jpg

RzQguou.png

2017031021383300-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
well you have to remember BotW was made for a system that only had 1GB of ram for games

well you have to remember BotW was made for a system that only had 1GB of ram for games
did the wii u version lock out some of the system Memory for the game? I recall someone showing the os having to boot up when switching to OS mode. So perhaps it was using closer to 1.5GB? still way below Switch's RAM allocation for games

Monolift Soft also made Xenoblade X on Wii U which was more impressive than Zelda BOTW WiiU.
And way more limited on thr dynamism. The sun didn't actually light and shadow much beyond deformable actors (characters and enemies). The sun in BotW lit and shadowed the environment.

XCX was impressive, but BotW was moreso, IMO

You may also like the weak writing and infantile characters. Some people do not.

Anyway let us hope that Monolith go back to past heights with Xenoblade 3 after the disappointment Xenoblade 2 was for many people.
Xenoblade 2 does not, in any universe, have weak writing and infantile characters. Heck, some characters have top tier writing (Pyra/Mythra in particular)

Also disappointment for many people is just wrong, it's mostly a very, very loud minority on forums.

Last edited:
And way more limited on thr dynamism. The sun didn't actually light and shadow much beyond deformable actors (characters and enemies). The sun in BotW lit and shadowed the environment.

XCX was impressive, but BotW was moreso, IMO
We're talking about the visual aspects here. There's no doubt that BOTW is on another level in terms of physics and other simulation systems, thanks to a larger budget than Xenoblade games and a longer development time.

Another noteworthy aspect of Monolith Soft is their incredible productivity.
Xenoblade 2 = 2017
Torna TGC = 2018
Xenoblade DE = 2020
Xenoblade 3 = 2022

More reviews have been slowly coming in, so it's better to wait 1-2 weeks after release for all reviews to come out

Staff Post
Hey folks, we've noticed some posts of a dismissive nature being made in this thread, in regards to the well-established controversy surrounding Xenoblade's problematic depictions of its characters. As many of you may not have seen the staff post in the spoiler thread, we'd like to post it here as well, for added visibility:
Thanks for bearing with us while we sorted out the reports in the thread!

As we reopen, so we can try to avoid having to do this again (for your sake and ours), please remember that it's fine to discuss all aspects of the game as long as we do so maturely, especially on sensitive topics. You don't have to directly engage with any aspects of the topic you don't feel comfortable or equipped to, but in that case please respect that other people will and don't dismiss their concerns.

In the case of That One Screenshot that made the thread blow up - again, feel free to keep discussing it if you so wish, but please respect that a number of people have legitimate grievances with several aspects of it. Please also respect that everyone's comfort levels on this differ and people are still allowed to be excited about the game. A game's flaws and merits do not cancel each other out to just reach a final objective conclusion of only "it's good" or "it's bad".

- paranoodle, Aurc, hologram, Harina
As is always the case, if you see a post that you feel isn't conducive to a healthy discussion, you are encouraged to make use of the report function. Thanks a bunch.

I like Xenoblade 2

Me too, it's a great game from it's basis, but i understand why so many people hates it.

It has so many cringe moments, awful character designs and imho a story that is pure nonsense.

I've put almost 200 hours on it, near double than Xenoblade 1, which is a much better game in almost every aspect, but those cringe moments makes it difficult to replay.

Yeah, NO.
Xenoblade 3 texture details are on another level than BOTW. Please take a look more carefully at the structure, ground, geometry, material, and vegetation details for both games. Zelda BOTW details are blurry as hell, like they forgot to properly put a high-res version of those details.

large.jpg

q0qz8tstwdz71.jpg

RzQguou.png

2017031021383300-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
Not sure if I should be putting in the effort going by your tone, but just for my own conscience:

We can debate taste all day, but that's not going anywhere. I prefer BotW's more elegant, less "hyped" art style, but can see why people like X3. I'm not trying to take anything away from their enjoyment.

We can also debate technicalities all day. X3 has per object motion blur. BotW has dynamic world shadows. X3 has more characters on screen. BotW has a single seamless open world. Both have procedural cloud cover. I didn't intend to start a stick measuring contest. Different stuff has different priorities for people.

Personally I haven't seen a more impressive game on Switch since BotW in 2017, and that's kind of a shame because I'd hoped BotW to be a starting point and not a continuous shining example. Xeno's low resolution has more of that "impossible port" feeling than something that feels like it suits the Switch.

EDIT: added two BotW screenshots of my own because the two you provided are obviously selected to prove your point.

20210922-176495-header2.jpg

nintendo-nintendo-switch-the-legend-of-zelda-breat.jpg

Last edited:
You should not call other people opinions "trolling" just because you have a different opinion.

You may like Xeno2 and every melon breast, anime cliches, and camera flights over bodys from women that often look like very young girls. You may also like the weak writing and infantile characters. Some people do not.

Anyway let us hope that Monolith go back to past heights with Xenoblade 3 after the disappointment Xenoblade 2 was for many people.

I think it is fair to point out the flaws that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has some flaws for sure. Cause what you are saying made the game overall worse then what it could have been. But there is more than those flaws. As the core game is fine and what you are stating isn't the main gist of the game in my opinion. Just cherrypicking on what was really bad in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I liked the gameplay and story in XC2, but it had its flaws for sure.

Finally, stating that Xenoblade 2 was disappointing for many is an assumption. When I look at the data we see from Nintendo; we see that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has sold far more than Xenoblade Chronicles and more than Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. So I would assume that those 2 million people aren't disappointed in the game.

2010WiiXenoblade Chronicles0.913*[1][2]
2015New 3DSXenoblade Chronicles 3D0.56*[3]
Wii UXenoblade Chronicles X0.84*[4]
2017SwitchXenoblade Chronicles 22.17[5]
2020SwitchXenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition1.52

Again, let me clarify that I agree that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 made some questionable changes from Xenoblade Chronicles, but overall I think it was a great game. That said, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 seems to be the magnum opus of the serie which brings the best of both worlds together... quite literally. I am really looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles 3, because I think this is by far going to be my favorite based on what I saw :).

Last edited:
Monolift Soft also made Xenoblade X on Wii U which was more impressive than Zelda BOTW WiiU.

Breath of the Wild has an elite physics engine behind it. The world can be interacted with on a scale almost no other open world on any system can touch. It’s not just a visual it’s a real tangible environment.

Last edited:
I think it is fair to point out the flaws that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has some flaws for sure. Cause what you are saying made the game overall worse then what it could have been. But there is more than those flaws. As the core game is fine and what you are stating isn't the main gist of the game in my opinion. Just cherrypicking on what was really bad in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I liked the gameplay and story in XC2, but it had its flaws for sure.

Finally, stating that Xenoblade 2 was disappointing for many is an assumption. When I look at the data we see from Nintendo; we see that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has sold far more than Xenoblade Chronicles and more than Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. So I would assume that those 2 million people aren't disappointed in the game.

2010WiiXenoblade Chronicles0.913*[1][2]
2015New 3DSXenoblade Chronicles 3D0.56*[3]
Wii UXenoblade Chronicles X0.84*[4]
2017SwitchXenoblade Chronicles 22.17[5]
2020SwitchXenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition1.52

Again, let me clarify that I agree that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 made some questionable changes from Xenoblade Chronicles, but overall I think it was a great game. That said, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 seems to be the magnum opus of the serie which brings the best of both worlds together... quite literally. I am really looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles 3, because I think this is by far going to be my favorite based on what I saw :).

Y'all really like stretching the tiny sales lead of Xenoblade 2 on a system that's loaded with 10 million plus sellers and can digitally download games.

A 1.2 million unit lead today is not impressive.

A 1.2 million unit lead on the launch of a highly successful very hot system, that was available and well stocked at every retailer that carried videogames, sold for MSRP, and could be digitally downloaded, only having a 1.18 million unit lead over a game that launched on a system after it died and two years late in it's highest selling region, was only available for purchase at one retail chain, instantly skyrocketed to $300+ on the second hand market after the tiny NA print run ran out, then dropped to a 'reasonable' $90 from that single retailer fleecing customers, and could not be digitally downloaded.

Xb2 doing that 1.2m more on a system that, again, regularly has 10 million plus sellers, is less than not impressive.

Also your chart literally shows Xb1 at 3 million.

The facts just aren't supporting this narrative. Maybe when the next white paper drops. There is a decent chance xb2 may actually be at or close to 3 million then.

TIL I'm 26, I have a job, I pay bills but I'm not a man because I laugh at the wrong videogame jokes.

Y'all really like stretching the tiny sales lead of Xenoblade 2 on a system that's loaded with 10 million plus sellers and can digitally download games.

A 1.2 million unit lead on the launch of a highly successful very hot system, that was available and well stocked at every retailer that carried videogames, sold for MSRP, and could be digitally downloaded, only having a 1.18 million unit lead over a game that launched on a system after it died and two years late in it's highest selling region, was only available for purchase at one retail chain, instantly skyrocketed to $300+ on the second hand market after the tiny NA print run ran out, then dropped to a 'reasonable' $90 from that single retailer fleecing customers, and could not be digitally downloaded.

Xb2 doing that 1.2m more on a system that, again, regularly has 10 million plus sellers, is less than not impressive.

The facts just aren't supporting this narrative. Maybe when the next white paper drops. There is a decent chance xb2 may actually be at or close to 3 million then.
You can’t just add up all the rereleases of XC1 and claim that it sold 3M when comparing to XC2 since XC2 has not had 2 additional rereleases - a more fair comparison is just looking at the original releases.

Yes it’s absolutely true that XC1’s release timing was disadvantaged to say the least, especially in NA, but acting like going from under a million to well over 2 million is “less than not impressive” just because some other Switch games have sold quite a bit more is not a reasonable argument.

It’s hard to say exactly what share of the increase in sales from XC1 to XC2 was due to the “Switch effect” or due to the game’s own merits.

It doesn't matter now what happens; I will never give up the fight
There is no way I will run away from all of my frights
Long as the voice inside me says "go", I will always keep on runnin'
There is no way to stop me from goin' to the very top

It doesn't matter who is wrong or who is right

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!
Whoa oh!
Yah! yah-eah
Whoa ho

It doesn't matter now what happens; I will never give up the fight
There is no way I will run away from all of my frights
Long as the voice inside me says "go", I will always keep on runnin'
There is no way to stop me from goin' to the very top

It doesn't matter who is wrong or who is right

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!
Whoa oh!
Yah! yah-eah
Whoa ho
IDK why I heard the SA2 version of this song in my head when I personally prefer the SA1 version lol

IDK why I heard the SA2 version of this song in my head when I personally prefer the SA1 version lol
Shame on you, the sa1 version is so much better.
I actually found out that there's a sa2 version today while looking for the lyrics

Looking at historic data a lot of (J)RPG's do not sell crazy numbers in general. So I do find a million+ gap between sales quite a big thing. Xenoblade Chronicles initially released on the Wii which was at time the best selling console of Nintendo and the Wii U was also backward compatible.

Moreover, you are adding Xenoblade Chronicles of three different systems together. I am quite sure that people that bought Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii bought it again on the Switch and some of them on the 3DS. I found it weird you are undermining the Wii as a platform. As that platform had several 10 million and even 30 million sellers. So there was an audience there as well. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 only was released on one system.

So, I feel my earlier mentioned narrative makes sense :).

Not sure if I should be putting in the effort going by your tone, but just for my own conscience:

We can debate taste all day, but that's not going anywhere. I prefer BotW's more elegant, less "hyped" art style, but can see why people like X3. I'm not trying to take anything away from their enjoyment.

We can also debate technicalities all day. X3 has per object motion blur. BotW has dynamic world shadows. X3 has more characters on screen. BotW has a single seamless open world. Both have procedural cloud cover. I didn't intend to start a stick measuring contest. Different stuff has different priorities for people.

Personally I haven't seen a more impressive game on Switch since BotW in 2017, and that's kind of a shame because I'd hoped BotW to be a starting point and not a continuous shining example. Xeno's low resolution has more of that "impossible port" feeling than something that feels like it suits the Switch.

EDIT: added two BotW screenshots of my own because the two you provided are obviously selected to prove your point.

your second screenshot especially corroborates their point about zelda's weak environmental textures. this is obviously a function of zelda being built for a system with a third of the useable memory, but I think their point is fair.

your second screenshot especially corroborates their point about zelda's weak environmental textures. this is obviously a function of zelda being built for a system with a third of the useable memory, but I think their point is fair.
weirdly, I find the overall visual affect of BotW’s textures more aesthetically pleasing. they lend a painterly quality that keeps things from ever feeling too busy.

I'll just say one thing about the xenoblade 2 discourse.
It reminds me of the fucking "every pokemon vs 1 billion lions" discussion.
It happens everywhere, it never leads to anything and everyone is tired of it

Patting myself on the back xD

I can’t wait to play this game, but I gotta finish Xenoblade DE first.
we still need to wait for other reviews, mainly youtube reviews (easy allies, good vibe gaming and others), which will probably take a month or so to get included.

They sent my copy today, so I think I could play it tomorrow (a day early). I'm so hyped! This will be my first Xenoblade game.

I’m not gonna enter on the details of which game is more or less detailed or graphically impressive. I just wanna say how BotW is breathtaking (lol). These screenshots are beautiful, specially that sky on the second one.

And I believe Xenoblade 3 looks stellar too. An improvement over the previous games, and amazingly with better image quality.

EDIT: sorry for the double post D:

Well, now the staff post has made me curious about the contents of said screenshot. But there is no way I am caving in and checking it out.

Also, I am still holding out hope for that sweet 90 in Metacritic.

The only score that matters.
The elite/cork sniffer gamers of the UK deem the review scores & impressions of Edge Magazine to be the one true voice.
The original Wii release was awarded a 9/10.
X got a 7/10.
2 got a 7/10.
They didn't bother to review the Definitive Edition.

I wonder how 3 will fare with the creme de la creme of games journalism.

The elite/cork sniffer gamers of the UK deem the review scores & impressions of Edge Magazine to be the one true voice.
The original Wii release was awarded a 9/10.
X got a 7/10.
2 got a 7/10.
I wonder how 3 will fare with the creme de la creme of games journalism.
Sarcasm is hard to detect I guess.

I was a regular reader of Edge Magazine between 2004 - 2011, so a slice of self-deprecation is deserved!

Are there any other old school publications that have yet to release their reviews?

Second interview segment has arrived. Really cool part about custom-made bamboo flutes! Aaaand now I want one =P.

Also one of the composers seems to be of Arab descent going by her name - Mariam Abounnasr? Interesting.

Also one of the composers seems to be of Arab descent going by her name - Mariam Abounnasr? Interesting.
She's originally from England and had been at Mitsuda's studio for a while now. She did some arrangements and orchestration on the Xenoblade 2 soundtrack.

Please see the threadmarked staff post. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom