• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Release Date trailer, releasing July 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I glance over at XenoblaDE, Xenoblade 2, and Torna, begging me to play and yet taunting me with the sheer length of combined experience, I begin calculating hours until the release of Xenoblade 3 ... Yeah, I'm probably not managing to fit these in to start on this right away.

Also, I don't need the collectors edition.
It would draw attention to the lack of such an edition for Xenoblade 2, after all. It would look weird.
I’m staring to consider doing some new game+ on XCDE\FC and XC2\Torna after finishing my current XCX replay, but using casual mode mostly yo enjoy the main story and readying myself for XC3 that way it’ll be manageable…

hideaki anno should sue
He should be collaborating lol…

Seriously, if someday Mitsuda, ACE and the others don’t want to keep doing Xeno music, Shirou Sagisu should be a nice option for them… All original Eva music and Rebuild works are amazing and that style would fit the games…

It just hit me how crazy it will be to have 6-7 party members at the same time. That's pretty nuts. How often do you see parties that big function simultaneously in an ARPG? Xenoblade 2 had 6 characters on screen but only 3 functioned at once. Battles are going to get bonkers (and loud) and I'm all for it

Makes sense that eventually the technical restraints of the past (capping at 3-4 party members at a time in JRPGs) eventually go away, so it's exciting to see Monolith Soft break through norms like that despite being on the weakest hardware. Shows how ambitious they are

I agree with your general position here, but you’ve entirely misrepresented what I said to the point of discomfort in my end. I don’t quite feel comfortable even continuing here as the crowd has clearly spoken with the reactions to your post and views me in an incorrect light / I don’t want to continue OT, but I will try to course correct…

I did not say anything in this trailer was homophobic. I said that a default assumption to pair man and woman could be rooted in heteronormativity or homophobia. As a queer person, it sucks to see so many pairings of couples just so happen to all be man and woman. Could a decision like that have been made without thought to the alternative and been harmless? Absolutely! That’s what usually happens in these cases. Roots run deep and through generations, that’s the danger of a status quo.

Side note: to those (including yourself) politely pointing out the animus / anima background – thanks! Again, I don’t know a lot about the series and never claimed to. I shared my opinion hoping to be educated more by fans of it, which happened, so yay. Furthermore, I shared my opinion at this stage and eagerly awaited learning more about the pairing mechanic (eg. if there even are romantic undertones to it, though if there are not it makes it the limitation all the more silly).

All I said in my follow up is that intent isn’t impact. The background to the decision helps explain things, but it doesn’t make me feel any less “othered” so I was just noting that. The importance of representation is that it helps undo the idea of a “standard”. As noted, I too am a queer person who has gone through their fair share of ~it all~, and so I like to see the media I consume do better. I personally hold this standard for all media I consume when appropriate- tho ofc I’m not always a fair or consistent critic, who is. I am however quite uncomfortable that you’re telling me not to mix my feelings when I am speaking on personal experience– my feelings are valid. I shared my single opinion and you extended it to something much larger. I made no claim that it would be wrong to support this game or that the developers have done something wrong, I just personally don’t love it. I would take away the word homophobia looking back on my message as I understand that seems to have been interpreted as an act and heteronormativity already did the job, but it is a noun and something that exists on many, many levels

To your second point - I feel like I’m just going to state the obvious but to be complete, yes, of course this isn’t a sim game. And no, I don’t expect every title to have gay representation. You’re delving into whataboutism here and further generalizing + misrepresenting my point. I agree with your views laid out there, period.

Anyhow, I hope this helps resolve some of the disconnect here. I understand that you felt dismissed by my post and I’m sorry for that. Likewise I’m rather flustered by this all and the silent majority staring down at me lol, but I really do appreciate you taking the time to engage productively and hope this clears things up.

Whew that was more than I intended to say, but I’d like to go to sleep so I’m leaving it as is lol.
Don’t worry I appreciate you response and I understand it :)

Adam howden nooooo

This post has been edited while I learn about current events.

I have learned about current events.

This post was not referring to an in game in character moment.

What it is referring to sucks. A whole lot.

Last edited:
<3

The real truth is that Xenoblade is responsible for the closest thing to gay representation in smash bros with the shirtless twink shulk skin
In the context of your recent discussions on the subject of Xenoblade this made me laugh out loud. Thanks for having a good attitude about everything, despite... everything

It just hit me how crazy it will be to have 6-7 party members at the same time. That's pretty nuts. How often do you see parties that big function simultaneously in an ARPG? Xenoblade 2 had 6 characters on screen but only 3 functioned at once. Battles are going to get bonkers (and loud) and I'm all for it

Makes sense that eventually the technical restraints of the past (capping at 3-4 party members at a time in JRPGs) eventually go away, so it's exciting to see Monolith Soft break through norms like that despite being on the weakest hardware. Shows how ambitious they are

yeah although I guess it's too early to really say just how often it'll be 7 as opposed to 4

will have to see how that ouroboros mode thing is balanced and what percentage of the time you end up in that

In the context of your recent discussions on the subject of Xenoblade this made me laugh out loud. Thanks for having a good attitude about everything, despite... everything
I’m really feeling it

Ot-ish -> Fami is good people and I know this is a safe place, just had to work through some feelings there. C’est la vie of internet comms and hastily posting during the workday.

I’m really feeling it

Ot-ish -> Fami is good people and I know this is a safe place, just had to work through some feelings there. C’est la vie of internet comms and hastily posting during the workday.
I feel that. I definitely felt that gut urge to reject your rejection, but like.... you disliking a game doesn't have to mean I don't have to.
Just wish that sentiment was more present among some members.

It honestly is really crazy to think about. Its crazy to think that there might not be an active/in-active party divide, which has historically been a staple of the genre, in this game.

I feel that. I definitely felt that gut urge to reject your rejection, but like.... you disliking a game doesn't have to mean I don't have to.
Just wish that sentiment was more present among some members.
Likewise I could have expressed myself more comprehensively + been more aware of the context of my post (primarily a celebratory thread about a release date change, which also happened to be paired with more info). Anyway, I’m still here so clearly I didn’t intend to sour things and am excited to be along for the ride of this games release regardless of if I buy it anytime soon!

Now you’ve got me dreaming of Pokémon with your whole party as partner Pokémon out on the field. Arceus got us close, but that poor engine… lol

Since it's being referenced again, just wanted to add: I totally understand being disappointed by the heteronormative pairings, but on the flipside I also think it's cool that you can have a man and a woman fuse, and on top of that have one of the fusion forms look distinctly feminine (Eunie and Taion's). You don't usually see multi-gender fusions like that in media, and definitely not ones that would wrongfully be perceived to "demasculate" a man like that. The only other examples I can think of are from Steven Universe

Since it's being referenced again, just wanted to add: I totally understand being disappointed by the heteronormative pairings, but on the flipside I also think it's cool that you can have a man and a woman fuse, and on top of that have one of the fusion forms look distinctly feminine (Eunie and Taion's). You don't usually see multi-gender fusions like that in media, and definitely not ones that would wrongfully be perceived to "demasculate" a man like that. The only other examples I can think of are from Steven Universe
Very true! I was caught up in A+B so I didn’t even think about C lol

This is definitely true, and there's a lot of really interesting things that could be done with it. I just hope that they handle it delicately; there are a LOT of pitfalls and potentially bad jokes/plot elements that could come from the whole concept. And as has been pointed out, it would be pretty disappointing (and boring) if all three of the fusion pairs just end up being in-game romantic pairings. Especially if it kind of feels forced just due to them being the 'fusion pair'.

But all that is definitely putting the cart before the horse, so I'm optimistic about it still! I would be very surprised if there aren't a lot more plot twists and things involved, plus other character pairings and possibilities.

I'm still holding out for pairing the pairings. Voltron, let's go.

Hmmmm..... I don't think it's possible for Taion to be demasculated wrongfully or otherwise, as it's something that has to be accepted on the face of it's stated concept, by the person thenselves. In order to actually be demasculated you have to feel like and accept that that's what was done to you. Which I feel is non applicable to Taion because I don't think he gives the slightest poot about the concept of masculinity like that, and is completely secure and self assured in what his strength is where his strength comes from, and has no issue whatsoever lending that wellspring of strength to the more outgoing and on the sleeve Eunie, or anyone else he trusts, in whatever form.

Masculinity, positive masculinity, not twisted into toxicity, to me, as a concept is so much more awesome when decoupled from mere physical sexes.

When the concepts of strength, physical and personal, roles they decide to take with said strength, resolve and determination, to protect and raise others because you have the strength and will and want, and you choose to do so, not because that's just what you are expected do when or because you are born male and that's it, be a man.

It's like, ones real, and the others just a mask.

And it's not just Eunie with the obvious rough cut personality, that little hammer wielder? Loves her strength? Gives off mucho masculine vibes to me. Love it.

nocgdq21shu81.jpg

Just now catching up on the discussion here. Xenoblade is my very favorite series but I think it's good and healthy to recognize problematic elements in the media you enjoy. And anyone who is hurt by something in these games should absolutely be allowed the space to express that. I think we all want Monolith to do better. It's also a letdown that the cast seems to be so large but Taion is so far the only black character.

I do think you'll eventually be able to interlink any character with any other one and that's actually how you'll unlock new classes. There's a part in the trailer where Noah says something like "I've never used this type of blade before but techniques are flashing before my eyes". So when your characters share thoughts and memories while fusing they probably pick up how to use the other one's weapon. Story-wise it'll probably act like the current pairs are the only canon ones though like the Blades in 2.

As for the Hideaki Anno discussion, he wouldn't sue or collaborate. The man is too busy building the Shin Tokusatsu cinematic universe at the moment. I wouldn't say no to Shiro Sagisu working on a future Xenoblade though. The soundtrack to 3.0+1.0 was glorious.

Last edited:
Ha ha, hell yeah. Bruh, Japan in the 90's has been rooming with me, since the 90's.

Think we should we bring some S-cry-ed into this? Or did that one just miss the cutoff?
Depending on who you ask the Lost Decade may or may not extend into the '00s soooo
tumblr_oqwb6fjWK01t92wp3o1_640.png

While I appreciate the game coming out earlier, how am I suppose to play all those RFPs coming at the same time? Anyways, gotta get to finish Torna just in case.

Even just from the snippets they've shown, combat looks more kinetic, dynamic, and active than previous games in the series, and I like that a lot.

I've always enjoyed how the series has creatively fused turn based and realtime combat into engaging hybrids, and this looks to continue the tradition in fine form. :)

Knowing they harvest these clips and screenshots very carefully and deliberately, I chuckle at them making damn sure he snuck into the background, just so we'd know. 🤣

Pyra is so damn wholesome
Yeah they definitely knew what they were doing when they snuck Rotbart in there, Nopon Archsage even memed about it in the Land of Challenge

Huh, I guess I didn't think about it but that guy attacking them must be what brings the two sides together and relatively early in the game.
yeah I imagine we control each party individually for a bit and then relatively early game we get attacked by him and it kicks off the journey

I finally began playing Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition after the last Direct and have been slowly making my way through it in between my playthroughs of Triangle Strategy and 13 Sentinels so hopefully I'll be done in time.

I'm trying to think how to articulate this properly, please forgive the inelegance.

Developers should be allowed to make what ever game they want. Stories not including queer themes and representation is not the same as active homophobia, or intrinsically problematic, or anything like that. (It can be those things, and the wider culture around it is bad, but that doesn't necessarily make a specific example a moral failing.) Philosophically exploring the idea of Animus and Anima in a merged identity is interesting JRPG stuff I can get behind.

Nevertheless, I'm not personally enthusiastic about the idea of a triple hetro love story, and if (big, big, if at this point I know) that is the direction they're taking this game's story then I will be disappointed; not because it's an objective bad thing, but just personally.

Knowing this game is coming months earlier than we thought has really rocked me. The game looks gorgeous and the battle system looks insane. I cannot WAIT to get my hands on this, and I guess I really do need to start working on starting and finishing Torna finally before July!

I honestly didn't even think about the potential heteronormativity until it was mentioned in this thread. As of right now I don't have any issues or qualms about it. I'll always want more lgbt characters and storylines in all media, but I always try to stay cognizant of how similar and different the culture surrounding lgbt issues and representation is between the East and West, and in cases like this and Fire Emblem I think about Nintendo's own image. Now that this lightbulb has gone off in my head, I do think it would be interesting to replay 1 & 2 with this lens now and see if I feel any type of ways. For now I like the cast of 3 a lot and definitely want to get to know them, I think they have a lot to live up to given how amazing the characters have been the past two games.

I'm trying to think how to articulate this properly, please forgive the inelegance.

Developers should be allowed to make what ever game they want. Stories not including queer themes and representation is not the same as active homophobia, or intrinsically problematic, or anything like that. (It can be those things, and the wider culture around it is bad, but that doesn't necessarily make a specific example a moral failing.) Philosophically exploring the idea of Animus and Anima in a merged identity is interesting JRPG stuff I can get behind.

Nevertheless, I'm not personally enthusiastic about the idea of a triple hetro love story, and if (big, big, if at this point I know) that is the direction they're taking this game's story then I will be disappointed; not because it's an objective bad thing, but just personally.
I‘d say you articulated it wonderfully!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom