• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Release Date trailer, releasing July 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is soley the fault of the costume designer.

They made him half man half utility pouch.

Here we go mind experiment time.

Clean shirt, new shoes
Silk suit, black tie
Gold watch, diamond ring
Cufflinks, stick pin
Black shades, white gloves

How Now?
I'd rather have comfy utility pouch dad

XCDE: 14,04GB
XC2: 13,51GB

Original XC on Wii was on a single layer DVD (and double layer on EU release because both Japanese and English voices), So 4,7-8GB

XCX I believe it was around 22GB as massive as it was…
XCX was massive because it was on a disc. if it didn't have duplicate data, it'd probably be less than 16GB

Monolith is literally the Switch MVP.

I feel like there’s been some insecurity on how quickly Nintendo’s dev pipeline is pumping out games, with some expecting more than we’re getting. Monolith completely stands out as the exact opposite - they are growing and thriving during the Switch era.

Xenoblade 2 in 2017, torna (which could be considered its own game) in 2018. An acclaimed definitive remaster of XC1 in 2020 with a brand new bonus campaign. Then XC3 in 2022. All on TOP of helping on BOTW1 and 2, which all of the aforementioned titles have released IN BETWEEN these by the way)

Like Monolith will have
  • finished developing and releasing XC2
  • started and finished Torna and XC2’s DLC
  • started and finished XCDE and Future Connected
  • started and finished Xenoblade 3
In between BOTW1 and 2’s release. It’s just crazy to me.

I already thought it was insane that they were getting XC3 out now, to reverse delay it and say “here take it earlier” is just amazing. I feel like they’re building up SO much good will and confidence in the studio as it grows.

It just makes me feel so good inside, idk.

I won’t lie, the background in the combat clip on this page has me believing there will be some sort of flight or faster traversal: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/az3ha/fusion/index.html

It’s just presenting interconnected land at a scale that I’ve not seen since X.
We have seen a sea vessel, so it stands to reason we get a land vessel at the very least, my guess is the next trailer will feature exploration and cities and stuff like that

I feel like there’s been some insecurity on how quickly Nintendo’s dev pipeline is pumping out games, with some expecting more than we’re getting. Monolith completely stands out as the exact opposite - they are growing and thriving during the Switch era.

Xenoblade 2 in 2017, torna (which could be considered its own game) in 2018. An acclaimed definitive remaster of XC1 in 2020 with a brand new bonus campaign. Then XC3 in 2022. All on TOP of helping on BOTW1 and 2, which all of the aforementioned titles have released IN BETWEEN these by the way)

Like Monolith will have

I already thought it was insane that they were getting XC3 out now, to reverse delay it and say “here take it earlier” is just amazing. I feel like they’re building up SO much good will and confidence in the studio as it grows.

For sure - the only studio I can think of that can compare to Monolithsoft in terms of Switch game quantity is Gamefreak.

As I glance over at XenoblaDE, Xenoblade 2, and Torna, begging me to play and yet taunting me with the sheer length of combined experience, I begin calculating hours until the release of Xenoblade 3 ... Yeah, I'm probably not managing to fit these in to start on this right away.

Also, I don't need the collectors edition.
It would draw attention to the lack of such an edition for Xenoblade 2, after all. It would look weird.

Like Monolith will have

For sure - the only studio I can think of that can compare to Monolithsoft in terms of Switch game quantity is Gamefreak.
Don’t forget the the powerhouse of ND Cube.

Super Mario Party
Clubhouse Games
Mario Party Superstars.

That’s 53 games on switch!

I'm sorry for a small OT, but I respectfully disagree. I don't see any glimpse of homophobia on this trailer. In fact, as a gay person that has gone through bullying and actual homophobia in school, family and other instances I find a bit dismissive calling "homophobia" the fact that the supposedly couples in a game are all "heterosexual". If we start calling homophobia anything that we don’t like or make us feel bad, the word will lose its true meaning, I don't think it's fine to trivialise real acts of homophobia with assertions like those, it hurts the real victims of this kind of hatred and it should not be mixed with our personal feelings.

About the "heteronormativity"... This is not a game like FE or Animal Crossing where you can change the world, create personal avatars, getting "married" or modify the story. In those cases I'm 100% with you that we should get as many options as possible so everyone can feel being represented on the screen. On a closed story/fantastic mythology there should be anything that the author seems fit, and I don't need to be "represented" to get immersed in, on the opposite, I want to travel to other worlds, evade myself and be anyone else. If there are gay characters, cool (and it'd be fantastic if done right in a no-clichéd way or just to fill a quota, but if it makes sense in the story they want to tell), but if there are none and there's no reason to be, it's fine too. I don't need Link to be gay in BOTW2 because we're in the XXI century and we are so advanced society and I'd love to be represented in the game.

(Not my intention, again, to offence anyone with my opinion. Just let's not get ahead of ourselves with the "couples" on XC3, most probably is just some Animus/Anima thing or other pseudo-biologic-scientific-religious subplot like the need to get some complete genome from the two complementary sexes/core crystals).
Back on Topic!! Some people heard some musical influences from XC1 and XC2 on the trailer... Do you think there will be many "mix" or inspired or evolved themes from the old games or it'll be mostly new compositions with just some nice touches/motifs here and there? I'm hoping for the latter, I want the composers to outdid themselves and be creative.
I agree with your general position here, but you’ve entirely misrepresented what I said to the point of discomfort in my end. I don’t quite feel comfortable even continuing here as the crowd has clearly spoken with the reactions to your post and views me in an incorrect light / I don’t want to continue OT, but I will try to course correct…

I did not say anything in this trailer was homophobic. I said that a default assumption to pair man and woman could be rooted in heteronormativity or homophobia. As a queer person, it sucks to see so many pairings of couples just so happen to all be man and woman. Could a decision like that have been made without thought to the alternative and been harmless? Absolutely! That’s what usually happens in these cases. Roots run deep and through generations, that’s the danger of a status quo.

Side note: to those (including yourself) politely pointing out the animus / anima background – thanks! Again, I don’t know a lot about the series and never claimed to. I shared my opinion hoping to be educated more by fans of it, which happened, so yay. Furthermore, I shared my opinion at this stage and eagerly awaited learning more about the pairing mechanic (eg. if there even are romantic undertones to it, though if there are not it makes it the limitation all the more silly).

All I said in my follow up is that intent isn’t impact. The background to the decision helps explain things, but it doesn’t make me feel any less “othered” so I was just noting that. The importance of representation is that it helps undo the idea of a “standard”. As noted, I too am a queer person who has gone through their fair share of ~it all~, and so I like to see the media I consume do better. I personally hold this standard for all media I consume when appropriate- tho ofc I’m not always a fair or consistent critic, who is. I am however quite uncomfortable that you’re telling me not to mix my feelings when I am speaking on personal experience– my feelings are valid. I shared my single opinion and you extended it to something much larger. I made no claim that it would be wrong to support this game or that the developers have done something wrong, I just personally don’t love it. I would take away the word homophobia looking back on my message as I understand that seems to have been interpreted as an act and heteronormativity already did the job, but it is a noun and something that exists on many, many levels

To your second point - I feel like I’m just going to state the obvious but to be complete, yes, of course this isn’t a sim game. And no, I don’t expect every title to have gay representation. You’re delving into whataboutism here and further generalizing + misrepresenting my point. I agree with your views laid out there, period.

Anyhow, I hope this helps resolve some of the disconnect here. I understand that you felt dismissed by my post and I’m sorry for that. Likewise I’m rather flustered by this all and the silent majority staring down at me lol, but I really do appreciate you taking the time to engage productively and hope this clears things up.

Whew that was more than I intended to say, but I’d like to go to sleep so I’m leaving it as is lol.

Last edited:

Something for y'all. Did some 4k 60fps AI upscaling for yall. hope it looks good.

Even at 4K, this footage is blurry as heck. It's not the upscaler fault though, the base content is muddy to begin with.
I wonder how it would look like when DLSS is applied to it.

Last edited:
I won’t lie, the background in the combat clip on this page has me believing there will be some sort of flight or faster traversal: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/az3ha/fusion/index.html

It’s just presenting interconnected land at a scale that I’ve not seen since X.

Look , they just showed them entering inside each other and forming a fused mecharoboperson that can hover and zoom around.

Get an orgy going and we can get a freaking Voltron to zoom around in.

If the game was acquired digitally was it smaller and bundled with that texture pack? Assuming the inflation on disc was due to read speeds that’d make sense…

I remember the packs (there were 3 irrc) were for the physical disc only, they were not necessary if you got the game digitally.

I remember the packs (there were 3 irrc) were for the physical disc only, they were not necessary if you got the game digitally.
Yes but I’m curious to @ILikeFeet ’s claim that the game would have been smaller if not on disc- wasn’t the download the same size as the base disc version (without need for the packs as you noted)?

If the game was acquired digitally was it smaller and bundled with that texture pack? Assuming the inflation on disc was due to read speeds that’d make sense…
Multiple sources state Xenoblade X's download size as being around 22GB, which surprises me because of everything that's been stated above.

Multiple sources state Xenoblade X's download size as being around 22GB, which surprises me because of everything that's been stated above.
Yeah I saw the same. I wonder if that’s more a limitation of digital skus needing to match the disc ones disallowing them from cutting things down further?

Yeah I saw the same. I wonder if that’s more a limitation of digital skus needing to match the disc ones disallowing them from cutting things down further?
Yeah, no idea.. but I am seeing stuff where Monolith said they had to heavily compress stuff to keep from needing TWO discs, which means the game should've been even BIGGER than 22GB. 🤯

Yes but I’m curious to @ILikeFeet ’s claim that the game would have been smaller if not on disc- wasn’t the download the same size as the base disc version (without need for the packs as you noted)?

Ah, let's see if I can beat feet, in speed if nothing else

So this is actually because of the way discs work and physics. So you know how a disc is round right, and if you were to run a circle like a lap on a track, the very inside part of the disc would be much less distance that the very outside? And how there is physically inches from the inside of the disc to the outside? Yeah, that laser has got to actually move that distance and then find it's spot on the 'track' for the information it's looking for. For this reason, discs have actually been organized, split up into 'sectors' kinda like pizza slices that then get chopped themselves, to make searching easier. Well, if you are in a sector at the outside edge of the disc, and need to look up something on a sector on the inside of the disc, that's time. So you duplicate data so it can be found in more than one spot.

Ah, let's see if I can beat feet, in speed if nothing else

So this is actually because of the way discs work and physics. So you know how a disc is round right, and if you were to run a circle like a lap on a track, the very inside part of the disc would be much less distance that the very outside? And how there is physically inches from the inside of the disc to the outside? Yeah, that laser has got to actually move that distance and then find it's spot on the 'track' for the information it's looking for. For this reason, discs have actually been organized, split up into 'sectors' kinda like pizza slices that then get chopped themselves, to make searching easier. Well, if you are in a sector at the outside edge of the disc, and need to look up something on a sector on the inside of the disc, that's time. So you duplicate data so it can be found in more than one spot.
I appreciate the explanation for anyone reading along but I actually was already clear on that! Rather I’m curious why the base download size needed to be the same as the disc if it didn’t need to work around that limitation.

Clearly from before they integrated witchcraft into their development pipeline
No kidding. Back when I was an annoying WiiU fanboy and people would try to tell me how Nintendo systems couldn't do good graphics, XBX screenshots would be my mic drop. They had to summon some spirits to get that game to look that lovely.

Not even "that lovely on WiiU," I mean that lovely, period. It's still my favorite-looking game ever. I actually kinda wanna do another playthrough when I'm done with Nier...

Rather I’m curious why the base download size needed to be the same as the disc if it didn’t need to work around that limitation.
Yeah and actually now I am, too. 😅

I appreciate the explanation for anyone reading along but I actually was already clear on that! Rather I’m curious why the base download size needed to be the same as the disc if it didn’t need to work around that limitation.

Oh, hah. That restructuring sounds like a whole lot of work.

Yeah XCX was downright sorcery in how they got it to look that good and run that consistently while handling a gargantuan and seamless open world that you could fly across at high speed, on the freaking Wii U.

While 2/3/Torna have added some more demanding effects, I still find X to be the most visually pleasing game in the series.

Last edited:
Yeah XCX was freaking sorcery in how they got it to look that good and run that consistently while handling a gargantuan and seamless world that you could fly across at high speed, on the freaking Wii U.

While 2/3/Torna have added some more demanding effects, I still find X to be the most visually pleasing game in the series.
Yeah 2/Torna added a lot of particle effects and and lighting stuff but imo X takes the cake in terms of actual world design. I appreciate what 2/Torna did with the Cloud Sea and the multiple living titans, but I hope 3 takes a bit more influence from X in the world design (which, looking towards the horizon in some of these shots, it very well may).

Tin foil uneducated hat question - is there reason to think X would be a tough port for any architectural reason? Or is it likely just a rainy day release in their pocket/plans

Tin foil uneducated hat question - is there reason to think X would be a tough port for any architectural reason? Or is it likely just a rainy day release in their pocket/plans
The immediate thing that’s probably stopping it would be the huge file size since Nintendo basically never uses the bigger card sizes possible on the Switch. We’ve also heard it was a very tough development for Monolith Soft and it has online features that they’d also have to make work again. Ports aren’t as easy as they appear to us, so a game that was hard to develop probably means it would be a tougher port (especially if they want to add anything), but aside from the file size and the online features as far as I know there aren’t other big hangups.

You were talking about it up the thread, I remember the file size for the digital copy of X was smaller than the the physical copy with the packs. I don’t remember by how much, but it added up.

I like how it takes two characters for them to be able to fuse into what essentially is a Warframe.

I assume we'll get regular Twitter updates on the game from now until release since we're only a little over 3 months away

Like Monolith will have

Even if you don't like their games, from a pure output perspective Monolith Soft is one of Nintendo's top developers when it comes to the Switch.

Nani?!

Geez, take a couple day break from video game news and come back to a megaton. Can’t believe I’ll be playing this in only 3 months.

I assume we'll get regular Twitter updates on the game from now until release since we're only a little over 3 months away

Yep. A meaty trailer, with a firm release date and preorders available. The game's marketing cycle has begun.

They may detail the gameplay systems slowly on Twitter, using short clips and some text, I expected a full Xc3 Direct but considering they have just released the 2nd big trailer and the game will be here soon, they may use Twitter and then share the final big details (like a potential DLC season pass or a big feature like the game being fully open-world) on the potential June Direct.

Kind of... But not for anything rendering related really. X seems like a really really large, complicated duct taped together balanced on a toothpick game on the state machine side of things, like even more than the usual for videogames. I'm sure nintendo has the best ppc to arm cross compiler in existence, but it just seems like there are gajillions of things that could pop out the other end not quite working right that would be really really hard to just find and take a lot of manpower to fix, and X's market performance doesn't make the job particularly palletable. Maybe if xb3 is a super star break out performer it will grease the wheels.

The immediate thing that’s probably stopping it would be the huge file size since Nintendo basically never uses the bigger card sizes possible on the Switch. We’ve also heard it was a very tough development for Monolith Soft and it has online features that they’d also have to make work again. Ports aren’t as easy as they appear to us, so a game that was hard to develop probably means it would be a tougher port (especially if they want to add anything), but aside from the file size and the online features as far as I know there aren’t other big hangups.

You were talking about it up the thread, I remember the file size for the digital copy of X was smaller than the the physical copy with the packs. I don’t remember by how much, but it added up.

Kind of... But not for anything rendering related really. X seems like a really really large, complicated duct taped together balanced on a toothpick game on the state machine side of things, like even more than the usual for videogames. I'm sure nintendo has the best ppc to arm cross compiler in existence, but it just seems like there are gajillions of things that could pop out the other end not quite working right that would be really really hard to just find and take a lot of manpower to fix, and X's market performance doesn't make the job particularly palletable. Maybe if xb3 is a super star break out performer it will grease the wheels.

Thanks folks, makes sense. I totally forgot about the online features at play there since they dropped them with 2.

XCX also had an optional texture pack download via wii u shop as well.
That wasn't adding any new data, though, just copies of the same thing to put on different storage for faster load times. It always seemed a bit silly to me that such a thing was forced to be downloaded, rather than a utility that just copied the necessary files over.

I always liked the idea that Nintendo has a constant huge pile of finished games and is playing some kind of a complex version of chess only they understand to figure out the release dates. Either that or they are making those decisions based on coin flips.

I personally like to think they decide release dates using a dartboard.
maxresdefault.jpg

sorry I have Sega on the brain this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom