• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Release Date trailer, releasing July 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, if Nintendo Europe hurried up already...
If you are in Germany, there's an email alerting system which can help.
https://www.nintendo.de/News/2022/A...-3-Collector-s-Edition-anmelden--2200479.html
It sucks though that the artbook has softcover, but I'd take it. For the first time ever in my life I have changed the notification setting of the email app on my phone to show banners and vibrate whenever a new email arrives. The desperation!!
Edit: other regional Nintendo Europe website also have similar links, simply change the country at the bottom of the website will redirect you to that respective country's site.

Last edited:
With the combat and art design already looking like a step up from Xenoblade 2, all this needs now for me is to have an easy mode from day 1, a story as good or better than 1/2, and get rid of the field skill gating and cringe scenes that cropped up occasionally in 2, and it could very well be the new pinnacle of the series, and that's high praise as the original was one of my top 10 games of its generation.

So far almost everything looks incredibly promising. :)

So far, I'm a bit disappointed about landscapes/monsters being so copied/pasted from the previous episode.
Am I wrong? I understand that the world is a "mix" deriving from the merging of two already known universes, but still I'd prefer a little bit more novelty in terms of landscapes and creatures

hopefully there will be brand new areas and "animals", still not unveiled

So far, I'm a bit disappointed about landscapes/monsters being so copied/pasted from the previous episode.
Am I wrong? I understand that the world is a "mix" deriving from the merging of two already known universes, but still I'd prefer a little bit more novelty in terms of landscapes and creatures

hopefully there will be brand new areas and "animals", still not unveiled
I've also been feeling disappointed at the lack of new wildlife. So far the giant yellow kaiju and two sea serpents from the reveal trailer are all we've seen. And those three have really cool designs which made me even more excited to see new monster designs but there's been nothing but returns since the reveal trailer.

I've also been feeling disappointed at the lack of new wildlife. So far the giant yellow kaiju and two sea serpents from the reveal trailer are all we've seen. And those three have really cool designs which made me even more excited to see new monster designs but there's been nothing but returns since the reveal trailer.
Pretty sure we’ve only seen like 1% of the entire game.
Also having a boat means we will probably be able to fight water monsters, so you can guess Monolith will add lots of water monsters to fight.

Pretty sure we’ve only seen like 1% of the entire game.
Also having a boat means we will probably be able to fight water monsters, so you can guess Monolith will add lots of water monsters to fight.
If we seen so little, that should make it easier to show new stuff in moment to moment gameplay clips

These creatures should be as iconic as Pokémon. The more repetition the better. Make them iconic and ingrained in the xeno verse before moving on. That’s all I’m going to say. The gorilla is approaching that status at least. Common enemies should stay the same. There’s really no need to make entirely new ones every game. A sense of familiarity is comforting to a lot of people and gives the series an identity. Xenoblade hasn’t reached a point where things are instantly recognizable yet aside from the big (no name) vistas, UI and battle system. In game towns, specific locations, races, and creatures should be more recognizable. I sense monolith is trying to push for that tho. That‘s why we have common races from two games, locations, and even characters. The world building is stronger than ever.

In fact, do it like Gamefreak. Keep most of the old monsters but add just a sprinkle of new ones every new game. Thankfully, monolith is already kinda doing that so we good.

Last edited:
I don't think there will be many new monsters in the early game areas.

These creatures should be as iconic as Pokémon. The more repetition the better. Make them iconic and ingrained in the xeno verse before moving on. That’s all I’m going to say. The gorilla is approaching that status at least. Common enemies should stay the same. There’s really no need to make entirely new ones every game. A sense of familiarity is comforting to a lot of people and gives the series an identity.

In fact, do it like Gamefreak. Keep most of old ones but add just a sprinkle of new stuff every new game. Thankfully, monolith is already kinda doing that so we good.
I disagree. In Pokémon you have a team you bond and fight with for most of the game. Them being recognizable and returning is a must, as people will become attached to them.

Here, you just fight the monsters. You see them a fraction of the game, so they should be surprising and interesting. I don't care for most monsters, because they're just an obstacle and I barely see them.

The gorilla is an exception, because it's always notoriously overleveled when you first come across it (mostly start of the game). It's a meme. It's not possible to turn all the monsters in your game into jokes and memes I think nor is it a smart idea.

I do think it's an interesting idea though, but I'd rather have surprising and new monsters than ones I can recognize.

These creatures should be as iconic as Pokémon. The more repetition the better. Make them iconic and ingrained in the xeno verse before moving on. That’s all I’m going to say. The gorilla is approaching that status at least. Common enemies should stay the same. There’s really no need to make entirely new ones every game. A sense of familiarity is comforting to a lot of people and gives the series an identity. Xenoblade hasn’t reached a point where things are instantly recognizable yet aside from the big (no name) vistas, UI and battle system. In game towns, specific locations, races, and creatures should be more recognizable. I sense monolith is trying to push for that tho. That‘s why we have common races from two games, locations, and even characters. The world building is stronger than ever.

In fact, do it like Gamefreak. Keep most of the old monsters but add just a sprinkle of new ones every new game. Thankfully, monolith is already kinda doing that so we good.
I wouldn't take it that far since they are just normal jrpg enemies and not recruitable and trainable. Dragon Quest's monsters would probably be a better comparison. I don't mind returning monsters, I thought Xenoblade 2 found the perfect balance of new and returning monsters.

My main problem with the idea of making all these monsters iconic and having us stick with them every game forever is that I find most of Xenoblade 1's monster design to be very plain and I think they can do better. Does a volf really need to be iconic? It's just a wolf.

I wouldn't take it that far since they are just normal jrpg enemies and not recruitable and trainable. Dragon Quest's monsters would probably be a better comparison. I don't mind returning monsters, I thought Xenoblade 2 found the perfect balance of new and returning monsters.

My main problem with the idea of making all these monsters iconic and having us stick with them every game forever is that I find most of Xenoblade 1's monster design to be very plain and I think they can do better. Does a volf really need to be iconic? It's just a wolf.
It was an exaggeration for the point I was making. Are goombas a master in interesting monster design? Waddle Dees? Bokoblins?

Shuffling monsters quickly make them worthless and fodder like when Xenoblade isn’t old enough to have truly recognizable in game culture/identity aside from actual characters. I’m repeating myself here oop. They should strive for that first. I think they know that and they are. Of course, it’s a balance. Unless you’re rebooting the series, there’s no reason to make many completely new monsters. It’s just a waste of resources.

All of Xenoblade X new “interesting unique monsters” are all forgotten forgettable outside of the 3 people that played that game.

Last edited:

I'm using the Famiboards eShop API I created to check for its availability once per minute.

I'll get a text on my phone the minute it goes live (or, more specifically, the minute that a title with a name that includes "xenoblade", "3", and "edition" gets added to the Nintendo Store).

I plan on updating this thread as soon as I get that text

I'm using the Famiboards eShop API I created to check for its availability once per minute.

I'll get a text on my phone the minute it goes live (or, more specifically, the minute that a title with a name that includes "xenoblade", "3", and "edition" gets added to the Nintendo Store).

That's awesome dude, thank you.

That's awesome dude, thank you.

You're welcome! Keep in mind this is all based on the assumption that its appearance in the Nintendo database is what makes it go live.

Since the special editions for Xenoblade 1 and 2 are also present, I imagine this will be the case.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo bamboozles users of their public API and somehow opens up the preorders on their site without their database updating:

That actually sounds very cool
Im gonna be refreshing all day for this special edition 😩

It was an exaggeration for the point I was making. Are goombas a master in interesting monster design? Waddle Dees? Bokoblins?

Shuffling monsters quickly make them worthless and fodder like when Xenoblade isn’t old enough to have truly recognizable in game culture/identity aside from actual characters. I’m repeating myself here oop. They should strive for that first. I think they know that and they are. Of course, it’s a balance. Unless you’re rebooting the series, there’s no reason to make many completely new monsters. It’s just a waste of resources.

All of Xenoblade X new “interesting unique monsters” are all forgotten forgettable outside of the 3 people that played that game.
I'd say goombas and waddle dees have a lot of character. Keeping designs simple while still having a ton of personality is what I consider one of Kirby's greatest strengths. I don't see personality when I look at volfs and vangs, I just see wolves and bats. Zelda enemies are redesigned all the time, I'm not sure they quite fit the bill. If volfs are replaced with a more creatively designed wolf monster in Xenoblade 4, would this truly upset people?

I'm not sure if resource expenditure should be the driving force behind monster designs. When they start building games for new hardware they'll have to make new models anyway. Dragon Quest always makes new models for returning enemies in new games. And while it could be a waste of resources, it could be argued the alternative is a waste of talent. Monolith posted this interview with new recruits a while back. One of the people was very excited to join Monolith to satisfy his desire to draw creatures (taken from an english translation):
Naito: I am mainly in charge of artwork for enemies and creatures. Since I was a child, I had many opportunities to come into contact with nature, so I loved insects, animals, dinosaurs, and monsters. I like RPGs in games, and after playing many RPGs, I wanted to become a designer who draws the creatures that appear in the game, so I hit the gate of Monolith Soft

I feel sorry for them if they end up having to sit on his hands.

It also showed what they looked like from her point if view. Perhaps the view from her red glowing eyes. They appeared to be.... Dark fog like creatures.

Is this what the red eye sees as the form of people who refuse to.... Join the collective way of doing things in this world?

I'd say goombas and waddle dees have a lot of character. Keeping designs simple while still having a ton of personality is what I consider one of Kirby's greatest strengths. I don't see personality when I look at volfs and vangs, I just see wolves and bats. Zelda enemies are redesigned all the time, I'm not sure they quite fit the bill. If volfs are replaced with a more creatively designed wolf monster in Xenoblade 4, would this truly upset people?

I'm not sure if resource expenditure should be the driving force behind monster designs. When they start building games for new hardware they'll have to make new models anyway. Dragon Quest always makes new models for returning enemies in new games. And while it could be a waste of resources, it could be argued the alternative is a waste of talent. Monolith posted this interview with new recruits a while back. One of the people was very excited to join Monolith to satisfy his desire to draw creatures (taken from an english translation):

I feel sorry for them if they end up having to sit on his hands.
This seems like a rose colored view of goombas and waddle dees. They were undoubtedly worthless fodder. These games were pixels. The design changed and finalized through DECADES of art. They reached icon status through basically what has been said already repetition (reusing assets) and marketing. Since art is subjective, history and success play a big part in warping perspective. Retroactively, now it’s “good design with personality”…

Volfs have had many cosmetic changes with every game. The point was all new creatures. Zelda enemies are redesigned but they still keep certain familiarity or traits.

Asset creation is one of the most labor intensive and expensive parts of game development. A monster or a bucket sitting at the background.. yes that small bucket the player won’t even really notice. Someone sat hours making that. Modern game engines are trying with all their might to smooth out that part of development. So I don’t know why this is even a point to be argued.

Monolith isn’t plucking Xenoblade Wii models to the game. They’ve been updated several times already. Once again, I never said they shouldn’t be making new monsters. It’s just a waste esp since it’s in the same series when they have hundreds already available and most people aren’t even familiar with them. It should be a balance of old and new.

Anyways, this monster talk is ridiculous lol. I’m sure there are new monsters. Absolutely there will be. It’s a new game lol. This concern is so unwarranted.

Last edited:
This seems like a rose colored view of goombas and waddle dees.
Waddle dees sell merch. Volfs, skeeters, arachnos, and flamiis don't. I'm not sure nostalgia alone is pushing sales on Kirby merch.

Anyways, this monster talk is ridiculous lol.
I like the art and design side of games. Monster design a great place for designers to flex their creativity, especially in a JRPG where there's so many great designs everywhere else. A final game is the sum of parts and all the decisions behind the various design elements are part of that and a thing people like me enjoy admiring and critiquing. I care about these things, they mean something to me. To dismiss my posts as ridiculous is honestly a little hurtful. But, I guess it's whatever at the end of the day. So you do you.

I do want to end by saying some of Dragon Quest's most memorable enemies didn't come until later entries.

Last edited:
There weren’t waddle dee’s cups in 92.

01Sw7IRMzSs36B9z9LATJcx-3.fit_lim.size_1600x900.v1569485048.jpg

God, Xenoblade 3 is following a similar trajectory of content drip feed to Metroid Dread where the more they show the better it looks!

I gotta get on Xenoblade 2 ASAP.

Waddle dees sell merch. Volfs, skeeters, arachnos, and flamiis don't. I'm not sure nostalgia alone is pushing sales on Kirby merch.

I like the art and design side of games. Monster design a great place for designers to flex their creativity, especially in a JRPG where there's so many great designs everywhere else. A final game is the sum of parts and all the decisions behind the various design elements are part of that and a thing people like me enjoy admiring and critiquing. I care about these things, they mean something to me. To dismiss my posts as ridiculous is honestly a little hurtful. But, I guess it's whatever at the end of the day. So you do you.

I do want to end by saying some of Dragon Quest's most memorable enemies didn't come until later entries.

I think there may be more this aspect to waddle dees than just the visual design.

Like how they behave and act.

In fact, as their behavior becomes more charming they have began appearing less and less as enemies, and more and more as npc's and characters. There is not a single waddle dee enemy at all in the newest Kirby game.

Now if we redesigned a volf to be cute and charming looking, how much is that going to impact you murdering craptons of them for xp or loot?

People already were already making jokes about not wanting to kill the cuter enemies in X like the sheep, or giant mice.

Now what if they tried to act as charming as waddle dees towards the player instead if like typical wild animals?

People would much rather be able to adopt them as pets, rather than grind on them for loot or xp.

This has been a really interesting discussion to me, but the more I've thought about, the more Important I feel that second half if the equation is, especially for jrpg's.

Xenoblade already has a direct analog for what waddle dee became over the years. It always has. A lot of jrpg's do. And a lot of jrpg regulars really can't stand it.

I feel this is because, while they nail the aspect you are talking about, simple cute designs, in particular in this case with both Kirby and xenoblade, a literal face with arms and legs attached.

But they absolutely fail the second half, and that's making the character act in a way that it's likable to more, and an irritant to less.

Kirby, nails the crud out of this.
Jrpg's in general, do not.

So if there is going to be a fix to this, I think we need to focus on the part that's broken.

@Crusters Just as being cute makes people want to pet a monster rather than fight it, you can argue looking too much like a real life animal does the same thing. This is what I mean when I say volfs, vangs, and flamiis just look like normal wolves, bats, and herons.

We need to move off the waddle dees. It was a complete whataboutism for that other poster to bring up and I shouldn't have even responded to that point. Having character and personality is not synonymous with being cute. Being cute and charming is one way to do that and how Kirby does it, but I'm not saying it's the only way to do it.

You can have creative designs with character and personality be threatening or cool as well without it looking like a generic wolf. I've frequently praised the yellow monster in the reveal trailer for looking like an Ultraman kaiju. Japanese film and television is full of kaiju with character to their designs without being overly cutesy. I like most of 2's monsters and thought they were a massive improvement. And I like the monsters from the first game that 2 gave a more notable makeover for: brogs, feris, and ignas. The three new monsters in the reveal trailer are some of the best monster designs out of this series and that's the direction I want to see from monster designs. 2 already showed they were willing to re-design a small handful of returning enemies, so why not more? I think bunnits, tirkin, and armus are really the only designs from the first game that should be treated as sacred.

Thie Fangs from FF9 is what I consider a better take on a starting-area wolf enemy that has some unique flair to it without being either generic or overdesigned:
show

But more than that, I'm not even the first person to express a little disappointment in the lack of new wildlife even on this page, I'm not sure why my post alone was singled out in the first place.

edit: All I'm really saying is that new enemy designs keep improving game by game so I don't get why we need to be stuck with the first game's monster designs. But if that's ridiculous or deserving of mockery then fair enough. I'll drop the subject. But if given the choice, I'd rather jrpg enemies be overdesigned than generic.

Last edited:
@Crusters Just as being cute makes people want to pet a monster rather than fight it, you can argue looking too much like a real life animal does the same thing. This is what I mean when I say volfs, vangs, and flamiis just look like normal wolves, bats, and herons.

That's a dang good point.

I've long since been monster hunter, and come to appreciable terms with having to hunt non evil not malicious creatures for more nuanced reasons than good vs evil. This is an aspect I appreciate for exactly the point you made.

We need to move off the waddle dees. It was a complete whataboutism for that other poster to bring up and I shouldn't have even responded to that point. Having character and personality is not synonymous with being cute. Being cute and charming is one way to do that and how Kirby does it, but I'm not saying it's the only way to do it.

Point taken.
You can have creative designs with character and personality be threatening or cool as well without it looking like a generic wolf. I've frequently praised the yellow monster in the reveal trailer for looking like an Ultraman kaiju. Japanese film and television is full of kaiju with character to their designs without being overly cutesy. I like most of 2's monsters and thought they were a massive improvement. And I like the monsters from the first game that 2 gave a more notable makeover for: brogs, feris, and ignas. The three new monsters in the reveal trailer are some of the best monster designs out of this series and that's the direction I want to see from monster designs. 2 already showed they were willing to re-design a small handful of returning enemies, so why not more? I think bunnits, tirkin, and armus are really the only designs from the first game that should be treated as sacred.
Keep in mind, a lot of these enemies are just supposed to be wild life. In particular, wildlife whose designs are intricately intregal to the story of the series.

Volfs are not normal wolves, they are a hodgepodge of a wolf, heyena, and warthog. As if they were recreated by someone with the powers of a god trying to recreate a world full of lost creatures, from the DNA up, based soley off of memories.

Thie Fangs from FF9 is what I consider a better take on a starting-area wolf enemy that has some unique flair to it without being either generic or overdesigned:
show
This looks too intently malicious for me. As if the creature itself knows it is bad and evil.

But more than that, I'm not even the first person to express a little disappointment in the lack of new wildlife even on this page, I'm not sure why my post alone was singled out in the first place.
I personally think it's too early to make that kind of judgement.

I think your post is getting called out because it's interesting and thought provoking.

I think JRPG enemy design is always going to be a mix of inspired and generic, especially when there's not much emphasis on collecting them like in Pokemon. And with Xenoblade 3 being connected to 1 and 2 it make sense to bring many of the enemy types back, especially when 2 already did the same from 1. I'm still looking forward to seeing what uniques we get this time though. I wonder if that yellow beast from the first trailer was a unique.

There are new enemy types in both trailers, it'll be fine! Friends new and old.

I would personally love to see some ancient mechon still rattling about.

No update today I guess?

Want the art for the other characters besides Ethel!

I think today is a holiday in japan and golden week until the 5th of may.

Yes, today is Showa day. Next week the official national holidays land on Tuesday (Constitution Memorial day), Wednesday (Greenery day), and Thursday (Children's day), so I guess it is technically possible to get new updates on Monday and Friday. But I'd say there's a high chance they take the whole Golden Week off.

I don't worry too much about the repeated enemies in the game, or about what seems to be re-colors of Xc2 enemies, at the end what is more important is that different enemies need different strategies. One think I don't like that much about Xc2's combat is that, except some bosses that need Lvl III-IV animation invincibility or sealing reinforcements (Dark) early, most enemies are defeated the same way and you don't care that much about what are you fighting. So I hope that reusing models this time allows MS to focus on more important elements.

I think today is a holiday in japan and golden week until the 5th of may.
Probably shouldn't expect anything until then, but I imagine they'll be right back into the swing of things after that. We probably won't have many news-less weeks left for this game given how it's been going so far

Probably shouldn't expect anything until then, but I imagine they'll be right back into the swing of things after that. We probably won't have many news-less weeks left for this game given how it's been going so far
Especially considering that once things are back after Golden Week it'll be May 9th, which is only 11.5 weeks out from release, and there's likely to be a Direct with a lot of new info right in the middle of there somewhere.

The game launches just three months from today, by the way! It's really going quickly

There are going to be plenty of new enemy designs to enjoy. These games are pretty good at pacing out new sets of enemies and reusing the models from XC2 gives more license to make new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom