• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Xenoblade Chronicles 3 announced, launches September 2022 (no open spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think XC3 can outsell XC2, but it’s not a given. Imagine if XC2 ended up as the best selling entry in the series? Some would riot!

I think reviews and good worth of mouth are going to be vital. XC2 has definitely expanded the audience, so it’s whether XC3 can capitalise on that.

I think it'll sell on a par with XC2 but not significantly better or worse. XC2 was very much a standalone game released at a time where there was less competition, which encouraged a lot of people to take a punt on it. I'm not sure - given XC3 is explicitly continuing from the previous 2 games, that the same will happen again. There's a barrier for entry with 3 that wasn't there for 2. I think general excitement for the game and the existing fans with push it above what XC: DE did and roughly level with XC2, but I can't see it taking the series a step further, so to speak.

I think Xenoblade 3 will easily outsell 2. The audience for xenoblade games has expanded alot since Xeno2's release and Pyra & Mythra in smash gave it a good popularity boost. Now it's releasing on a 100M+ install base. It might not do it immediately, but it will.

I see no reason why XC3 can't be bigger than XC2.

It's launching on a way bigger install base, fans from 1 and 2 plus newcomers will come together for 3, people have been starving for big experiences like BotW, marketing seems to be better planned out this time around and XC3 has way more initial hype than XC2 ever had. Mix in a more positive media reception and general WoM and it's not even a reach.

As for barrier of entry, I don't see a difference between 2 and 3 here. A newcomer looking from the outside only sees the numbers 2 and 3 - if 2 didn't seem like a barrier for some then 3 won't be one as well.

Last edited:
At the time Xenoblade 2 released it was the only JRPG on the Switch. But XCDE isn't far behind XC2 despite being a remaster of a game released multiples times ( Wii, 3DS, WiiU ).
The franchise has expanded a lot, it hasn't reach Fire Emblem numbers yet but I can see Xenoblade being the 3rd current JRPG series behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in the future.

Persona 5 didn't sell THAT much, I think that Three Houses has sold on par or even more despite releasing much later, the fanbase is just really loudly.

Last edited:
I think it is on its way to Final Fantasy levels. I think 3 will outdo Persona but the work being done on this series is excellent and it shows. People are excited for it because it has modern game design, from the looks of it a good budget and and focuses on fun first and foremost.
Final Fantasy levels lmao. I’m sorry I had to laugh so hard at that. This series ain’t getting close to FF unless big changes are made to the series, but then it wouldn’t be Xenoblade

People are not willing to accept it but XC2's artstyle played a HUGE role in its popularity, you just have to check the amount of fanart it got in comparison to other entries from the series. XC3's art and design seem good but let's see how the audience actually receive it.

About the potential for growth of the series, it's definitely there but you have to be realistic about it based on the sales history. Again, I can't help but keep mentioning how it was ridiculous to think that Metroid Dread could reach like 5 millions based on what the series achieved in the past (I always said that if Dread passed 3 millions would be a success already which it will). Then again, this doesn't come as a surprise since people were also expecting 5 millions for Fire Emblem: Three Houses and then were "disappointed" when it only reached 3 or so.

If XC3 reaches the sales of XC2 or slightly surpasses it then I will be extremely happy about it.

People are not willing to accept it but XC2's artstyle played a HUGE role in its popularity, you just have to check the amount of fanart it got in comparison to other entries from the series. XC3's art and design seem good but let's see how the audience actually receive it.

About the potential for growth of the series, it's definitely there but you have to be realistic about it based on the sales history. Again, I can't help but keep mentioning how it was ridiculous to think that Metroid Dread could reach like 5 millions based on what the series achieved in the past (I always said that if Dread passed 3 millions would be a success already which it will). Then again, this doesn't come as a surprise since people were also expecting 5 millions for Fire Emblem: Three Houses and then were "disappointed" when it only reached 3 or so.

If XC3 reaches the sales of XC2 or slightly surpasses it then I will be extremely happy about it.

We have no way of evaluating or substantiating that hypothesis, and xenoblades sales history is full of holes. We still have no idea how many units the original xb1 sold in na, we only know what Nintendo originally shipped. We have no idea how many units of the GameStop ordered print runs were sold.

I could say the opposite statement, that xb2's art style repulsed the mainstream market and limited the games appeal and popularity, which is why xb2 only sold 2.5 million despite being in the holiday season of the launch window of a red hot platform launch, available in more than just one retailer in an entire country, and available downloadable online as well.

I wouldn't have any actual hard proof, but similar to it's opposite there would be no shortage of circumstantial rhetoric.

We have no way of evaluating or substantiating that hypothesis, and xenoblades sales history is full of holes. We still have no idea how many units the original xb1 sold in na, we only know what Nintendo originally shipped. We have no idea how many units of the GameStop ordered print runs were sold.

I could say the opposite statement, that xb2's art style repulsed the mainstream market and limited the games appeal and popularity, which is why xb2 only sold 2.5 million despite being in the holiday season of the launch window of a red hot platform launch, available in more than just one retailer in an entire country, and available downloadable online as well.

I wouldn't have any actual hard proof, but similar to it's opposite there would be no shortage of circumstantial rhetoric.
Come on, be realistic. JRPGs are a niche genre by themselves.

Again, look at fanart and how many people XC2 reached. XC2 is the outlier in the series so far.

I cannot wait for this. This game just motivated me to beat the final boss in the first xenoblade which I put off and I'm currently doing the future connected

Come on, be realistic. JRPGs are a niche genre by themselves.

Again, look at fanart and how many people XC2 reached. XC2 is the outlier in the series so far.

Sorry but fanart isn't really a metric I put much stock in.

Are you capable of gathering every peice of fan art ever made for each xeno game and actually quantifying the amounts of each instead of just a feeling that one got more?

And we have a much much better official metric of how many people xb2 reached, even if it stopped being publically updated.

Better than circumstantial rhetoric.

Sorry but fanart isn't really a metric I put much stock in.

Are you capable of gathering every peice of fan art ever made for each xeno game and actually quantifying the amounts of each instead of just a feeling that one got more?

And we have a much much better official metric of how many people xb2 reached, even if it stopped being publically updated.

Better than circumstantial rhetoric.
Yes, and XC2 sold more than every other entry.

Yes, and XC2 sold more than every other entry.

Well, that's not true. Unless you want to try and argue the unknown sales of xb2 after it stopped being publically reported hit a sustained spike while remaining under a million in a quarter, but the prices of the game on the second hand market really don't corroborate that. They corroborate something that is supply constrained.

Xb1 has had multiple releases, on multiple platforms, and even incomplete, what's been tracked shows it has sold more than Xb2, with the original on Wii, new 3ds, and XBDE, (I have never seen or looked for sales data for the new play Wii u download re release)

Well, that's not true. Unless you want to try and argue the unknown sales of xb2 after it stopped being publically reported hit a sustained spike while remaining under a million in a quarter, but the prices of the game on the second hand market really don't corroborate that. They corroborate something that is supply constrained.

Xb1 has had multiple releases, on multiple platforms, and even incomplete, what's been tracked shows it has sold more than Xb2, with the original on Wii, new 3ds, and XBDE, (I have never seen or looked for sales data for the new play Wii u download re release)
You're seriously reaching now.

the new one does seem to be off to a good start as far as fan art goes, there's a bunch of it out there already now

The general sentiment seems to be XC and X sold a million or less - just from everything I’ve read over the years. XC2 sold more than that in its first month.

DE released onto a MUCH larger install-base and fell off quickly afterwards.

There’s so many factors at play.

That said, when people say the art style hurt XC2 they’ve got no evidence outside of impassioned forum posts and online chatter.

Of course, some people were put off. I’m not oblivious to that.

At the same time, you can say XC2 outsold XC and X. It became the best selling Xeno, and will likely double the sales of Xenogears when all is said and done.

It‘s also continued to sell. It‘s sold the equivalent of 200K+ each year since it’s release. And even though that’s front-loaded, it’s sold over a long period of time.

1m in the first month
1.73m as of March 2019
1.92m as of December 2019
2.05m as of June 2020

Word of mouth has been very good for XC2 and it has charted in multiple countries since those latest figures.

If your gut tells you the game would have sold more with a different art style, that’s fine. But there’s no evidence to support that. To argue it would have sold more if it looked different is a nothing argument because it can’t proven one way or another.

Also not sure we should start arguing XC2 vs like 4/5 versions of XC. Despite Xenoblade having a tough release (only in one region, mind you), it’s been purchasable for literally hundreds of millions of people. Several times the market XC2 has had. And even then, there’s not a single release that passes XC2.

Also not sure we should start arguing XC2 vs like 4/5 versions of XC. Despite Xenoblade having a tough release (only in one region, mind you), it’s been purchasable for literally hundreds of millions of people. Several times the market XC2 has had. And even then, there’s not a single release that passes XC2.
People seriously try to spin things to ridiculous levels to try to deny XC2's success.

I don’t really agree with either camp tbh.

I don’t think XC2’s character designs helped nor hindered its sales in any significant way. It’s the best selling because it was a brand new switch game. And I think XC3 will beat it

I don’t really agree with either camp tbh.

I don’t think XC2’s character designs helped nor hindered its sales in any significant way. It’s the best selling because it was a brand new switch game. And I think XC3 will beat it
I think the truth is, it turned some people away and brought some people in. It is what it is… it’s been four years, time to move on I think. lol

Fingers crossed XC3 can please everyone. :)

This game will be the best selling. No reason for pessimism still. It’ll overtake XC2. It may not be by much, but it’ll overtake it. It’s releasing in a good month.

The general sentiment seems to be XC and X sold a million or less - just from everything I’ve read over the years. XC2 sold more than that in its first month.

Xb1 sold roughly a million worldwide. I think it's actually a little less like .9

my memory says XcX was 800k, although I am not as sure as this one. I haven't looked it up as much

Xb 3d sold a little over half a million something like .54

XbDE sold 1.5 or 6 something before public updates stopped xb2 I want to say is 2.5 million.

DE released onto a MUCH larger install-base and fell off quickly afterwards.

There’s so many factors at play.
Sure is. For the entire franchise. The second hand market clearly shows there is an excess in demand for the second game in physical, which, Nintendo, once again doesn't seem to care to meet.

That said, when people say the art style hurt XC2 they’ve got no evidence outside of impassioned forum posts and online chatter.

None whatsoever.
Of course, some people were put off. I’m not oblivious to that.

At the same time, you can say XC2 outsold XC and X. It became the best selling Xeno, and will likely double the sales of Xenogears when all is said and done.

It‘s also continued to sell. It‘s sold the equivalent of 200K+ each year since it’s release. And even though that’s front-loaded, it’s sold over a long period of time.

1m in the first month
1.73m as of March 2019
1.92m as of December 2019
2.05m as of June 2020

Ah, I guess I misremembered the sales for xb2, it wasn't 2.5 it was 2.05. if it indeed kept selling at 200k+ a month, we would still be getting public updates on its sales, as it would meet the quarterly sales threshold of Nintendo's public reports.

Word of mouth has been very good for XC2 and it has charted in multiple countries since those latest figures.

Charting is relative to the rest of the market. One thing we do know, it wasn't enough to keep the title in the reports.
If your gut tells you the game would have sold more with a different art style, that’s fine. But there’s no evidence to support that. To argue it would have sold more if it looked different is a nothing argument because it can’t proven one way or another.

If this post is in response to me, I haven't posted anything about what I believe, aside from what I believe is solid proof and what is not. I made a reverse premise of the post I quoted.

Is there a typo in here? The first one was supposed to be xb1? I think I grok this

I think the take away here from a countering sales standpoint isnt the fact that xb2 sold more than any 1 release of Xenoblade 1, but the fact that it released not just unshackled compared to the other releases, but in an amazingly perfect sales environment, and barely managed to get more units moved than the fourth release of the first game. It's about scale, it didn't increase appreciably compared to the sales environment advantage it had.

I don't think the art style of 2 is that different, or is really that much of an issue. The art style of 2, and torna, is very similar to XbDE, which I do remember a small murmer over the change from the original games hardware restricted aesthetic, and is again, very similar to the art style of XB3, which I generally see no pushback on. The game finally has a cohesive identifiable art style ballpark for the characters, where previously the only main cohesive visual identity was the world design. That was definitely started with 2. The big difference comes from the tone of the game, and the treatment of the characters.

Last edited:
I think the take away here from a countering sales standpoint isnt the fact that xb2 sold more than any 1 release of Xenoblade 1, but the fact that it released not just unshackled compared to the other releases, but in an amazingly perfect sales environment, and barely managed to get more units moved than the fourth release of the first game.
The release of the game that happened after 2 raised the sales ceiling for the series and just so happened to outsell every previous release of the game, probably combined even.

The release of the game that happened after 2 raised the sales ceiling for the series and just so happened to outsell every previous release of the game, probably combined even.

This is meaningless emotional rhetoric. It's a narrative made up to support a desired story. This is literally what my first post made a reverse premise of to show how anything can be made up by choosing what information to focus on and what information to downplay and ignore, to support a desired story.

"The release of the game that was so unpopular to the franchise it barely sold more in three years than the fourth re release of the fan favourite did in one month."

It wasn’t really aimed at you, more talking around the topic being discussed in here. I disagree with some of what you say here though.

It’s kind of bizarre to say XC2 didn’t deliver good enough growth, despite being in an unshackled sales environment.

It sold more in its first month than XC and X did lifetime. Within a couple of months it became the best selling Xeno ever.

DE came out after XC2 had raised the ceiling of the franchise - and even then, within a few months, XC2 was charting above it in sales I believe.

I love Xeno, but XC2 took the franchise from an also ran, niche series, that struggled to find a sizeable audience into multi-million seller territory.

And I say that as someone who played XC in 2011 and adored it.

Not sure what more you could ask of XC2 to be honest. A lot of the excitement for XC3 is built on the audience XC2 found and cultivated.

But look, you’ve got your perspective and you’re welcome to it.

Finished Xenoblade 2 recently and now playing through the Xenoblade 1 remake.

I really hope that for 3 the UI clarity and side quest visibility improvements from the definitive edition are kept and improved upon on.

Dunno how many hours I wasted on 1 (wii) and 2 being lost on how to complete sidequests, specially with the convoluted menus of 2.

The merc missions can be thrown away, felt like filler to waste more time just because.

The field skills are a concept that if improved upon on I think could make exploration even better, if possible I would change the structure of activating them so that, when not having the correct skill set, it wasnt needed to open a lot of menus to set the correct ones to open new paths.

Maybe this was fixed on Torna, so I will definetily play that after finishing the definitve edition of 1.

It wasn’t really aimed at you, more talking around the topic being discussed in here. I disagree with some of what you say here though.

It’s kind of bizarre to say XC2 didn’t deliver good enough growth, despite being in an unshackled sales environment.

It is bizarre because it's a narrative charged argument created from trying to make a story, rather than hard data.

It sold more in its first month than XC and X did lifetime. Within a couple of months it became the best selling Xeno ever.

This, is hard data.
DE came out after XC2 had raised the ceiling of the franchise -
This is a narrative. Is going from a shacklwd one million in 2010, to 2 million in unshackled 2017 really enough to be considered raising the ceiling? I mean doubling 5 million to 10 million certainly is, but when you are that far downscale.... It really doesn't seem clear cut to me at all.

and even then, within a few months, XC2 was charting above it in sales I believe.

This is dropping context to support the narrative. It was a brand new game charting above the fourth time a game from a decade earlier released.
I love Xeno, but XC2 took the franchise from an also ran, niche series, that struggled to find a sizeable audience into multi-million seller territory.
That sounds a lot more impressive until you reveal that change is from one million to barely 2 million.

And I say that as someone who played XC in 2011 and adored it.

Pretty sure everyone in this thread did lol.
Not sure what more you could ask of XC2 to be honest.
Not sure why we would be asking anything of a game, instead of observing and recording.

A lot of the excitement for XC3 is built on the audience XC2 found and cultivated.

Undoubtedly, that's kind of how things work.
But look, you’ve got your perspective and you’re welcome to it.
I think you might be projecting something that isn't there.

Finished Xenoblade 2 recently and now playing through the Xenoblade 1 remake.

I really hope that for 3 the UI clarity and side quest visibility improvements from the definitive edition are kept and improved upon on.

Dunno how many hours I wasted on 1 (wii) and 2 being lost on how to complete sidequests, specially with the convoluted menus of 2.

The merc missions can be thrown away, felt like filler to waste more time just because.

The field skills are a concept that if improved upon on I think could make exploration even better, if possible I would change the structure of activating them so that, when not having the correct skill set, it wasnt needed to open a lot of menus to set the correct ones to open new paths.

Maybe this was fixed on Torna, so I will definetily play that after finishing the definitve edition of 1.

I think the merc missions were just them trying to give some sort of use to all the blades you weren't otherwise using with how many of them you rack up, didn't interact well with the whole field skill thing at times though, I doubt 3 will have dozens and dozens of characters like that so it kinda removes any purpose for having it anyways

field skills could be okay as a concept but the gacha and menus made them pretty annoying, i'd rather see them start with X as a base for that than 2 if they want to use them again(although Xs are far from perfect themselves so still need changes)

i've also never gotten around to Torna so can't say what that did either

Anecdotal evidence chiming in with my own personal experience on the series: I really wanted to pick up XB1 but missed the window on Wii and wasn't interested in the 3DS port or buying a New 3DS for it. 2 turned me way off with the art style, resolution and gatcha mechanics. DE came out at a busy time but is on my wishlist and 3's announcement has moved it up in priority. Perhaps once I play DE and have an appreciation for the series I'll understand 2 more. But, count me as the drop in the bucket for 3 being what pulls me back in even though 2 came out at a "perfect time" for me backlog wise.

When you think about it Fire Emblem Awakening didn't really raise the ceiling for the series since going from 1 million in 2004 to 2 million in 2012 isn't very impressive according to my exacting standards

Xb1 sold roughly a million worldwide. I think it's actually a little less like .9

my memory says XcX was 800k, although I am not as sure as this one. I haven't looked it up as much

Xb 3d sold a little over half a million something like .54
what's teh source for these numbers?

XC1, XC2 and XCDE did great for what they were and their release conditions. Sales fall quite in line with a new IP released at bad timing and without marketing, a new game at a great timing and good marketing and a 10 years old remaster in an even better timing with good marketing.

XC2 wouldn't have been a multi-million seller if it was released in the same conditions as XC1. XC1 wouldn't have sold 4+ million units if it was released in the same conditions as XC2. Their potential aren't that much different.

We don't have data to really infer which art style, mechanic, whatever would truly bring more sales, so please let's stop with claims based on personal feelings and anecdotals. It has been 4 years of bickering already and XC3 is pretty much set in stone, so let's just wait and see.

When you think about it Fire Emblem Awakening didn't really raise the ceiling for the series since going from 1 million in 2004 to 2 million in 2012 isn't very impressive according to my exacting standards

This is exactly why I keep saying we should keep with real figures instead of making emotionally charged narratives.

Let's take a look at the massaging done to overlook the reality of the situation for this narrative.

According to gdl and npd, there were no million selling fire emblem games in 2004. Or 2002, or 2006. None of the GBA games broke a million worldwide. No fire emblem game up to that point in time had ever broken one million.

The last 2, we're also heads and shoulders the best selling games in the series, at 800k each. The typical sales of entries in the franchise since the 80's was about 100-300k. So not a million, but a huge improvement over the rest of the franchise, undoubtedly finally entering the western market helped, and it was easily close enough to want to try and break a million.

GBA Fe did Pretty dang good. Next, home console release, vastly increased budget going from GBA to game cube. (This is something I have not brought up about xB vs xb2. I'm not going to again, but it's there) Flopped in it's time. dropping sales to 500k, instead of breaking a million.

They tried again, on the Wii. Despite again, having a console sized budget compared to the GBA games, radiant dawn flopped even harder. 400k

The ds is a huge smash, and it's portable like the gba, flop. 500k

Try Again. Flop harder 200k

The now famous Nintendo ultimatum:
This is the last chance. If it doesn't break one million after 20 years of releases, the franchise is done.

Awakening is released. Has to break one million for the first time ever in the franchises history, or the franchise is done. Breaks 2 million.

These are not comparable situations. They aren't even close.

According to gdl and npd, there were no million selling fire emblem games in 2004. Or 2002, or 2006. None of the GBA games broke a million worldwide. No fire emblem game up to that point in time had ever broken one million.
It's true, blazing blade technically wasn't a million seller. It sold comparable numbers to the first Xenoblade, a title you had little problem considering a million seller despite technically not being one either.

For someone who finds it so easy to accuse others of projecting and fabricating fake narratives, nobody has done a better job than yourself when it comes to projection and massaging numbers.

Are you going to say what you really want to say already or will you keep beating around the bush?

XC1, XC2 and XCDE did great for what they were and their release conditions. Sales fall quite in line with a new IP released at bad timing and without marketing, a new game at a great timing and good marketing and a 10 years old remaster in an even better timing with good marketing.

XC2 wouldn't have been a multi-million seller if it was released in the same conditions as XC1. XC1 wouldn't have sold 4+ million units if it was released in the same conditions as XC2. Their potential aren't that much different.

This sounds sensible, but we simply have no way of knowing this. Xb2 released as xb1 could have been a multimillion selling smash hit if released at the height of the wiis popularity.

We really can't make these claims about fabricated scenarios. I mean professionals who make a career out of this fail all the time at predicting the market because it's really not as predictable and sensible as we all would like to think.

We don't have data to really infer which art style, mechanic, whatever would truly bring more sales, so please let's stop with claims based on personal feelings and anecdotals. It has been 4 years of bickering already and XC3 is pretty much set in stone, so let's just wait and see.
No we don't. But from what I can see with 3's reception, I don't see why it's something that's being brought up.

XbDE and xb3 have both taken pretty strongly after the art style established by 2, strongly cartoon style characters against a much more 'realistically' styled yet very fantasy/sci Fi environment. I remember a small amount of whining before xbde's release about the change from the originals.... Art style, and I have seen no art style complaints in that regard at all about 3. It seems like a nonexistent 'issue' to me

What I can say is that as someone who has never played a Xeno game before, this got me on board. I wanted wanted to like these games, but unfortunately XC2's designs and soft porn bits turned me off hard from it. Now XC3 is looking much much better and I think they hit that sweet spot that will make them reach a bigger audience without alienating their fan base.

I'm even considering bracing myself and playing XC2 now. Now that I know the series won't keep iterating on that kind of appeal, it makes the pill easier to swallow knowing it was a one time thing.

I don't think XB2 release was that Ideal. Most people were still playing Zelda and Mario. Meanwhile XB1 released when barely anything else was going on on Wii.

What I can say is that as someone who has never played a Xeno game before, this got me on board. I wanted wanted to like these games, but unfortunately XC2's designs and soft porn bits turned me off hard from it. Now XC3 is looking much much better and I think they hit that sweet spot that will make them reach a bigger audience without alienating their fan base.

I'm even considering bracing myself and playing XC2 now. Now that I know the series won't keep iterating on that kind of appeal, it makes the pill easier to swallow knowing it was a one time thing.
I don't know about that, xb3 looking pretty similar in terms of character design

It's true, blazing blade technically wasn't a million seller. It sold comparable numbers to the first Xenoblade, a title you had little problem considering a million seller despite technically not being one either.

For someone who finds it so easy to accuse others of projecting and fabricating fake narratives, nobody has done a better job than yourself when it comes to projection and massaging numbers
That wasn't me. I'm the one who replied to the one million, and said with the known numbers we had, it was only roughly a million, but the actual numbers had it slightly below a million.

I see no reason not to treat the GBA fe games 8k as comparable though.

The GBA games weren't the problem, they were literally the high point of the series until awakening. It was the massive and sustained dive after them, until awakening. The part you keep trying to ignore downplay and sweep under the rug as it's a completely different situation.

Are you going to say what you really want to say already or will you keep beating around the bush?

Oh, okay, what is it you say I want to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom