• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Xenoblade Chronicles 3 announced, launches September 2022 (no open spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the GVG analysis and I was quite disappointed tbh. They made a handful of mistakes and missed a lot of obvious stuff. Other channels were able to put out much larger, more in depth and more accurately researched analyses in less time than GVG did
I think this is one of those series where the hardcore are just way more ’in-the-know’ than those with more general knowledge.

Particularly because the likes of Luxin and Enel can pull their knowledge of Gears and Saga into the conversation to evaluate and extrapolate.

I’ve seen a few breakdowns and of course I respect people for going to the time to pull everything together. Xeno love is awesome.

But I’m looking at less and less because after 2+ hours of meticulous breakdowns from the aforementioned YouTubers, was else is there to know?

I’m betting 3.5 million copies.

Hardest sale is it being Xenoblade itself lol. Very specific time of game but it’s coming in a install base of 100 million and before the fall holidays. So it’s got a good road ahead.

I think it would be flat out disingenuous to say DD is not an open world game. The only loading screens are for caverns and entering a city ... you're like one criteria away from being BOTW, the most popular open world game currently, with that seamless definition. Actually if we consider dungeons aren't seamless to enter in BOTW, they're about equal.

Edit: I should be clear and say I'm not saying you're saying that. I'm just saying it would be disingenuous to say it isn't one. It's an incredibly open, vertical game, with a lot of freedom and almost entirely seamless. Just like BOTW.
Yeah, that's why I'm trying to see if we can all check out eye to eye on what we think open world games are.

For me, DD is far well and past the threshold of open world game, even if it does not meet the threshold of seamless, as it loads at every juncture, every town village dungeon cave or other point of interest. that just makes it an open world game that's not seamless.

As far as I am concerned, if you have you gain structured in such a way that it goes beyond the closed world design, the discrete levels, and creates an actual virtual world, the player can actually inhabit, regaurdless of size, or seams, you have an open world game, by virtue of its name sake, of not being a closed world game design. Whether or not the player is immediately allowed full access to the entirety of the world or not, is a matter of how open or closed the progression design is, and is a separate thing from open world. Sandbox designs like botw, have a very very open progression design. Dragons Dogma, has a much tighter progression design.

Unless future trailers really rock the boat,

5vy2x7v5pwg81.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help it

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to see if we can all check out eye to eye on what we think open world games are.

For me, DD is far well and past the threshold of open world game, even if it does not meet the threshold of seamless, as it loads at every juncture, every town village dungeon cave or other point of interest. that just makes it an open world game that's not seamless.

As far as I am concerned, if you have you gain structured in such a way that it goes beyond the closed world design, the discrete levels, and creates an actual virtual world, the player can actually inhabit, regaurdless of size, or seams, you have an open world game, by virtue of its name sake, of not being a closed world game design. Whether or not the player is immediately allowed full access to the entirety of the world or not, is a matter of how open or closed the progression design is, and is a separate thing from open world. Sandbox designs like botw, have a very very open progression design. Dragons Dogma, has a much tighter progression design.
I agree with your points.

To bring things back to square one, in general I don't want to clog discussion up with influential vs non-influential. I just meant to address hyperbole, but I'm not bringing down X, and I don't think it matters for a game's quality how influential it is or not. But I do think it's funny that an open world game made 2 years before XCX, with a climbing system with a lot of the same open-ended gameplay nature as BOTW (not to the same extent ofc), doesn't get credit in this regard.

I agree with your points.

To bring things back to square one, in general I don't want to clog discussion up with influential vs non-influential. I just meant to address hyperbole, but I'm not bringing down X, and I don't think it matters for a game's quality how influential it is or not. But I do think it's funny that an open world game made 2 years before XCX, with a climbing system with a lot of the same open-ended gameplay nature as BOTW (not to the same extent ofc), doesn't get credit in this regard.

I think the reason for that, is it's not really open world that they are talking about, even though they are saying it. They are talking about the open progression design.

X was super weird in that regard. The world design was totally open, from the get go you could go pretty much anywhere, but the progression design was really strict, being handcuffed to your level, so you could go anywhere, but it was, look don't touch. Well, unless something wanted to beat the crap out of you.

I'm betting more Xenoblade 3 copies than Persona 5 Vanilla copies since it released.
Three Houses has sold in-par or even more copies than Persona 5 Vanilla. Xenoblade 3 has the advantage of not being a tactical RPG which is a niche genre to begin with.

Xenoblade 2 even sold more copies than Fire Emblem Awakening which was Fire Emblem best selling game before Three Houses released.

Last edited:
I'm betting more Xenoblade 3 copies than Persona 5 Vanilla copies since it released.
Three Houses has sold in-par or even more copies than Persona 5 Vanilla. Xenoblade 3 has the advantage of not being a tactical RPG which is a niche genre to begin with.

Xenoblade 2 even sold more copies than Fire Emblem Awakening which was Fire Emblem best selling game before Three Houses released.
Xenoblade 2 hasn't outsold Fire Emblem Awakening yet as far as we know, but I think it has a good chance of happening at some point. Xenoblade 2 was at 2.05m as of June 2020 while Fire Emblem Awakening was at 2.31m as of December 2019, and it seems like Xenoblade 2's sales legs still haven't completely fallen off.

Xenoblade 3 especially is being advertised as a direct sequel to both 1 and 2.
The game was said to be set in the future of both games, but it's not advertised as a direct sequel. The world, cast and storyline are pretty much unrelated to what people who didn't played the games have seen from XC1/XC2. Not a single recurring character if you didn't see Nia in the last chapters or deduced the other masked woman from that.

On the other hand, we have many cases of games like Uncharted 4, and Witcher 3, which are clearly sequels, starting from the main character, and people have no problem in skipping the previous entries.

The kinds of players that gravitate towards JRPGs are likelier to be early adopters and 2 had particularly good legs for a JRPG as well, so I don't think launching on a larger install base will make that much of a difference either. Lastly, jumping from 2.5m (which isn't even an official number) all the way to 4m would constitute astronomical growth.
I agree for the most part. If it had released on a 40+ mi base and after many stabilished hardcore series had brought their fans to the system, I wouldn't expect growth either.

But there was under 15 millions Switch users at launch, the first notable game in the genre besides XC2 was OT almost 1 year later and IPs with a fixed and large fanbase took even longer. XC2 was basically selling to hardcore XC, Nintendo, and BotW fans, but not so much to the genre fans.

And as you kinda pointed out, JRPGs are extremely frontloaded, meaning the target audience likely favors buying old games used and/or prioritize newer games. So them not being there on launch probably cost XC2 some sales.

Unless future trailers really rock the boat, what we've seen so far does not paint such drastic change to justify that leap.
I agree. If it was another game like XC2, I would expect 3~3.5. But I expect them to polish it some more before release, streamline further the combat and have better tutorials, so I voted 3.5~4.

But for it to reach 4+ million, it will need to be a big improvement in those areas, but still within the realm of possibilities.

IMO, the main barrier they need to cross for something like 4 millions is the tutorials. A combat like XC2 will never be as pick and play as 99% of the 10+ million sellers are, but it's nowhere near as complex as it appear, at least for breezing through normal difficulty. But the tutorials throw so much information at the player and doesn't even confirm the player actually understood the most important ones, among other problems.

Been working on a composition of the trailer music.

Still a work in progress though.

(recorded with my phone so the quality isn't the best)

Sounding good! Is that the Jaeger Hangar IV/Merethe Soltvedt vocal patch? Sounded like it to me, but it's been a minute since I last used it.

What if...you can fight standing on the boat while it's stationary? There's literally a platform on the back end for your party to stand.
That would be an interesting solution to water combat, though considering how important positioning is to Xenoblade, it would be quite limiting.

Quoted by: SiG
That would be an interesting solution to water combat, though considering how important positioning is to Xenoblade, it would be quite limiting.
That does bring up the question if positioning will again play an important role in combat. It was all but absent in Xenoblade 2, where more importance was placed on the combo system.

That does bring up the question if positioning will again play an important role in combat. It was all but absent in Xenoblade 2, where more importance was placed on the combo system.
I would argue positioning mattered even more in 2 since your initial movement speed in battle was limited, you had to choose between moving to get potions and attacking, and enemies had anti rear attacks, not to mention the positional bonuses that already existed with arts.

I would argue positioning mattered even more in 2 since your initial movement speed in battle was limited, you had to choose between moving to get potions and attacking, and enemies had anti rear attacks, not to mention the positional bonuses that already existed with arts.
I didn't quite sense that while playing XC2, and I wasn't even aware there were anti-rear attacks, just general Spike status effect (Grrr!).

I didn't quite sense that while playing XC2, and I wasn't even aware there were anti-rear attacks, just general Spike status effect (Grrr!).
Yeah two of Rex's arts on the Aegis sword were position-based. Double Spinning Edge does more damage from the side, and Sword Bash does more from the back, if memory serves.

Yeah position attacks are everywhere in XC2. Most weapon-driver combos get at least one positional art, and enemies (usually those with tails) can also have them.

Yeah XC2 had positional attacks. The big difference was that your character didn't auto attack when moving. So you had to make a decision about whether to move for the position bonus or stay in place to do auto attacks which also fill your arts gauge. In XC1, people probably noticed the position bonuses more because there was really no downside to getting into the correct best position so you were constantly doing it.

I think blade specials, which saw you throw your weapon to you blade and allowed you to move far more freely, were meant to bridge the the 'movement gap' and allow you to reposition.

Unfortunately the game never really draws attention to this... which is sadly the case for a lot of XC2!

I think blade specials, which saw you throw your weapon to you blade and allowed you to move far more freely, were meant to bridge the the 'movement gap' and allow you to reposition.

Unfortunately the game never really draws attention to this... which is sadly the case for a lot of XC2!
150 hours in and in the middle of the NG+ playthrough, and this is the first time I'm reading about this

XC2 also had some sort of tipping mechanic (optimal range) that nobody cared about.

-Blade system without gacha
-Xploration and skells
-A grand story that ties the series together
-Amazing music
-Character customization

WE ARE DONE!!
And please please please, an outrageously beautiful and frightening hidden Telethia superboss.

I think this is one of those series where the hardcore are just way more ’in-the-know’ than those with more general knowledge.

Particularly because the likes of Luxin and Enel can pull their knowledge of Gears and Saga into the conversation to evaluate and extrapolate.

I’ve seen a few breakdowns and of course I respect people for going to the time to pull everything together. Xeno love is awesome.

But I’m looking at less and less because after 2+ hours of meticulous breakdowns from the aforementioned YouTubers, was else is there to know?
I usually watch Miiks stuff since he does a very though job with his analysis and breakdowns of the franchise as a whole. Though you are going to have to like reading since up until just recently they relied on text.

Unpopular opinion: I don’t want Skells in XC3, keep them exclusive to X.
If they decide to turn X into its own series, then absolutely. That would be a great way to give that series its own identity despite sharing the name.

Mitigating opinion.

Have skells be like gears if they are used beyond x, a character has a specific one that they use.

But fully customizable models is the sole realm of X.

I largely feel the same. Flying around the large environments is cool, but I dislike Monolith always trying to juggle two combat systems. Just put the effort into making the character battles the best they can be. The skell combat might be one of my least favorite systems in a Xeno game. Just spamming nuking attacks with loooong cooldowns and a random chance to activate 'cockpit mode' to reset them but was too random to plan around.

I do want an airship for flying though. But the skells can stick to the X series.

I'd be fine if there's no mech combat if they're making X2 after 3.

I personally want Skells or rather an airship to go back to the nostalgic feeling of early JRPGs lol.

I saw a boat and I got excited. Now a airship would be cool. Tho probably not necessary for the game to be great. Tho cool if implemented well

If they decide to turn X into its own series, then absolutely. That would be a great way to give that series its own identity despite sharing the name.
malos_indeed.mp4

I just...really need to see more X love. I somewhat anticipated that a game to tie up (somewhat) XB1 and 2's threads would be first. But next year? At least let's get the ball rolling on X finally escaping the Wii U!

...and before I'm enticed to play it again on that platform!

I usually watch Miiks stuff since he does a very though job with his analysis and breakdowns of the franchise as a whole. Though you are going to have to like reading since up until just recently they relied on text.
I’m half a weeek Kate replying to this, but I watch Miiks too. His content is good too. I wish KayJulers did a bit more too, he’s fun to listen to.

I’m half a weeek Kate replying to this, but I watch Miiks too. His content is good too. I wish KayJulers did a bit more too, he’s fun to listen to.
Yeah between the two that is usually where I get all my Xeno related content. They just release infrequently at times so it makes it hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom