• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Super Mario Bros. Wonder (11.96M), Super Mario RPG (3.14M), and more

A few weeks back I was ranking the best software years for individual Nintendo systems. With the last quarter of this fiscal year yet to go, Switch Year 8 (Through March 2024) already breaks into the top 10 at #10 with 164m. If Nintendo's forecast holds, it will move up to #7.
As for Mario Wonder, here's an article from January 2010 announcing that New Super Mario Bros Wii has sold 10.5 million copies.

The game released in November 2009 and went on to sell 30 million copies. Will Wonder surpass NSMB WII? Maybe. Maybe not. But we can clearly see that it's tracking about the same pace as one of the best selling Mario games of all time.
Thing is, NSMB Wii released while Wii was still in its hot phase, and continued to be one of the big games people grabbed as the userbase grew another ~40 million. SMBW already released to a userbase of 130 million and slowing. If it gets anywhere near the top NSMB games, it will be thanks to them managing to make it an evergreen that's relevant to new Switch 2 buyers who didn't already skip over it on Switch 1.

Last edited:
  • Xenoblade as a franchise is fine. XC2 legged its way to almost 3mil. Its had two floor raisers with DE/3. Supposedly Nintendo wants them to nurture the franchise before doing something else. This is one people really shouldn’t be worrying about.
  • SMRPG has done well & better than I thought it would. There is a place for MRPG but I doubt that it is the PM series. Finding a consistent developer is key. Seeing what direction they take will be interesting if they do since they have three ways it can go.
  • 2D Mario shattering all narratives about it as expected for anyone paying any sort of attention
  • Pikmin is secured for the future now that they have a person vested in it & a potential outsourcing partner.
  • Nintendo may be mildly disappointed in TotK’s legs currently but overall I doubt they are anything above that (not like they would know really).
  • Splatoon continues to sell but I think the next one needs some time to really move past the next barrier with refined gameplay, ideas, & potentially better online.
  • Pokémon there really isn’t enough to be said here other then attempt to do better next time
  • All aboard the Mario Kart train lol

I remain in pain as Xenoblade is now officially the worst selling Nintendo franchise by a large margin (Of franchises still getting games)
How? The Xenoblade trilogy is a few hundred thousand away from selling 7 million on Switch alone.

Blame Nintendo for not shipping out additional copies for whatever reason and not trying to get over that small hump.

• SMRPG has done well & better than I thought it would. There is a place for MRPG but I doubt that it is the PM series. Finding a consistent developer is key. Seeing what direction they take will be interesting if they do since they have three ways it can go.
Why is everyone here so confident that PM won’t change?

Like guys, i’m sorry but I seriously doubt Nintendo pulled random games out of a hat and said “oh, Thousand Year Door! Let’s remake it and bring it up to Origami King standards” and then follows it up right after with Paper Mario: The Cardboard Cretin.
Especially when they could’ve just put it onto the eshop a la Pikmin 1 and 2.

TTYD would only need a little over half of SMRPG’s current momentum to outsell Origami King entirely, lifetime sales wise.

tbf, his Xenoblade 2 video has more views than franchise sales and is how most people see the entire franchise.
I'm not aware of this drama. Is it the video from 6+ years ago with almost 8M views on YT? If so, I would like to point out that after that video, XB2 went on to sell about 3x the previous franchise best (since XB1 and XBX were both below 1M on Wii and WiiU). Hardly a franchise destroyer 😁

Like guys, i’m sorry but I seriously doubt Nintendo pulled random games out of a hat and said “oh, Thousand Year Door! Let’s remake it and bring it up to Origami King standards” and then follows it up right after with Paper Mario: The Cardboard Cretin.

TTYD would only need a little over half of SMRPG’s current momentum to outsell Origami King entirely, lifetime sales wise.
It's not that I don't believe PM will change, it's that whether or not it DOES change, the decision for that change would happen FAR before sales could turn opinion. I don't think Intelligent Systems is on the edge of their seats, one hand holding a lever that says RPG and the other hand on another lever that says Adventure, waiting for the early sales number before pulling one or the other.

I think SMRPG's and TTYD's sales are irrelevant to this discussion since PM sales at a consistent rate anyways and Nintendo has never seemed angry nor disappointed in its sales. Could TTYD's remake be an indication of the next game being an RPG? Sure, just as likely as it just being a really good remake. I just think PM fans care more about sales at this point that either Intelligent Systems and Nintendo does.

Short of Nintendo forcing IS to make PM an RPG series again, which is highly doubtful, it comes down to the fact that the PM team at IS has been completely transparent about their desires for PM since TTYD. And while it very well could change, I’m not gonna sit here hoping that two late gen fan favorite remakes will move the needle much; this is in addition to current PM not really suffering in the sales department since moving away from its RPG roots.

I'm not aware of this drama. Is it the video from 6+ years ago with almost 8M views on YT? If so, I would like to point out that after that video, XB2 went on to sell about 3x the previous franchise best (since XB1 and XBX were both below 1M on Wii and WiiU). Hardly a franchise destroyer 😁

There is no drama. Dunkey made a video taking the piss out of XB2 and it got a lot of views.

That's kind of it.

I remain in pain as Xenoblade is now officially the worst selling Nintendo franchise by a large margin (Of franchises still getting games)
Hey, fire emblem engage has a bone to pick with you for already forgetting it.

Xenoblade fans getting 3 new games in the last decade vs Donkey Kong fans getting 0
media
kuma-already-in-my-book-v0-kw4y70mn0kyb1.png

I have a bad feeling thousand year door isn’t doing well. Mario RPG got the hype boost from the Mario movie and wonder, while TTYD will likely be released after a switch 2 announcement

I have a bad feeling thousand year door isn’t doing well. Mario RPG got the hype boost from the Mario movie and wonder, while TTYD will likely be released after a switch 2 announcement
1. It literally hasn’t even released yet?

2. That was always going to happen.

I'm also afraid that TTYD isn't gonna get a fair chance, weird timing. Paper Mario gets shafted yet again at the end of a console cycle.

S3w2YWC.png

Very curious how far this will go. Switch numbers are now visibly on a downturn, but still above the peaks of those other systems. So even if from this point it dropped as fast as DS did from its peak, that would be at least another 400m to add to the total.

It's not that I don't believe PM will change, it's that whether or not it DOES change, the decision for that change would happen FAR before sales could turn opinion. I don't think Intelligent Systems is on the edge of their seats, one hand holding a lever that says RPG and the other hand on another lever that says Adventure, waiting for the early sales number before pulling one or the other.

I think SMRPG's and TTYD's sales are irrelevant to this discussion since PM sales at a consistent rate anyways and Nintendo has never seemed angry nor disappointed in its sales. Could TTYD's remake be an indication of the next game being an RPG? Sure, just as likely as it just being a really good remake. I just think PM fans care more about sales at this point that either Intelligent Systems and Nintendo does.
Honestly, we are just that desperate to get a Paper Mario that is an RPG, doesn't have a half-assed battle system, or character designs that aren't bland as shit.

Honestly, we are just that desperate to get a Paper Mario that is an RPG, doesn't have a half-assed battle system, or character designs that aren't bland as shit.
I honestly sooner believe Paper Mario will die before going back to an RPG. A new rpg Mario would take its place instead

If there’s anything Switch 2 Paper Mario should have is original designs a la the first three games

Original designs are whatever when they're just koopas, goombas, and bob-oms again

Just use the rest of the Mario cast

Think it's possible for New Horizons to reach 50mil?
Honestly, if they gave it another push with a major update, like what New Leaf got several years later, and did a price cut or at least had some sales at one point, I don’t think that’s impossible unless the next one comes out sometime soon on the Switch 2

Think it's possible for New Horizons to reach 50mil?
Sales would have to epically collapse for it to not happen.

Honestly, if they gave it another push with a major update, like what New Leaf got several years later, and did a price cut or at least had some sales at one point, I don’t think that’s impossible unless the next one comes out sometime soon on the Switch 2
No need for that, it sold 3 million this year and should drop to 2.5-2 for this year. After that it's just a matter of legging it out.

Last edited:
FWIW, S/V’s sales curve has stronger legs so far than most other Pokemon games - I’m not so sure the WOM is that bad outside of certain internet bubbles tbh

Unrelated:

So it seems that Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury is now the second-best selling 3D Mario game of all time.
oh

my bad
I'm a week late here, but I think @Jbone916 is right regarding this; every friend I tell in person that I kinda fell off it early immediately starts to go 'yeah, the gameplay was incredible, but I understand if the tech issues bothered you too much' (and I then explain that I'm utterly unbothered by the tech and just wasn't having fun lol). But the consistent thing is that everyone I know who played it - basically all of whom are long-time Pokemon fans - insists it's the best Pokemon they every played or close to it, with maybe one exception.

Online discourse has a way of focusing on little things that the general public doesn't care about. It is, by nature, enthusiast-oriented; and the more a game sells, the less the enthusiasts represent the majority. As a consistent 10M+ seller, Pokemon opinions tend to differ strongly between chatting with people you personally know and what you see online.

Online discourse has a way of focusing on little things that the general public doesn't care about. It is, by nature, enthusiast-oriented; and the more a game sells, the less the enthusiasts represent the majority. As a consistent 10M+ seller, Pokemon opinions tend to differ strongly between chatting with people you personally know and what you see online.
I get your point but I happened to see some pretty egregiously bad stuff when I played it. random chance plays a role

I get your point but I happened to see some pretty egregiously bad stuff when I played it. random chance plays a role

that's a rare bug. I typically just see flickering geometry. but it doesn't really change that the WoM isn't that bad. you don't sell another million copies off bad word of mouth, after all

Clearly Pokemon Stadium needs to come back with a new entry and take revenge
New Pokémon Stadium
Arcade battle mode where you set the rules to Gen 6/Gen 7 with Mega Forms and Ultra Moves, Generation 8, or Gen 9 rules. The game will use and pull a local copy of your Pokémon from Home, and the Switch games. It allows you to set up a move set based on learnable moves for each ruleset in the PvE arcade mode, but set move sets, what the Pokémon has as their current moves is what they have as their moves, for PvP. Announcer brought back with twice as much energy as the original games.

Back
Top Bottom