• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Super Mario Bros. Wonder (11.96M), Super Mario RPG (3.14M), and more

Mario RPG did way better than I expected. Honestly thought it would hit 1.5-2m, i wonder what sell through is vs shipped. Hope it persuades Ninty to do a sequel, and let the Paper Mario team try something new (Zelda/Splatoon RPG?)

Wonder did great, saw so many expecting it to hit 15m on installbase but they expected wayyyy more from the Mario movie hype. Especially since that hype died down from April, and was prob more effect for Mario game sales then.
Also, it's still "just" a 2D Mario game- those tend to veer more towards the casual side than the hardcore like 3D Marios, so it'll sell more through time rather than being frontloaded like TOTK.

Pikmin 4 is solid, hope Ninty is happy with the sales. I don't think the series will ever be a super hit like Zelda/Mario, the strategy gameplay style will always keep it at Kirby/Metroid caliber imo. I just hope they don't wash down the mechanics/simplify it further for future games or else it'll lose its identity. P4, mainly the beginning of the game, came bit too close to over explaining and dumbing down for me.

Would love DLC for Pikmin 4 and Wonder for next direct. Or something like what Sony does with Mile Morales/Lost Legacy - a "half-sequel" expansion game using assets from the first
Kirby and the Forgotten land sold 7 million copies that's more then the entire metroid prime trilogy.. so they are not in the same caliber.

anyways.. 3 million is fantastic for pikmin i could realistically see it selling over 4 or 5 million copies by the end of switch's life cycle

Once they realize the secret to success is to use Mario, that's really gonna tip the industry on its head. Can't believe it hasn't dawned on them yet.
Nurturing quality IPs that don't necessarily take AAA resources to create is the way to go.

If Ubisoft has managed Prince of Persia better the Lost Crown probably would have been an easy multi-million seller for example

Luigi's Mansion 3 ending up ahead of Splatoon 2 by the end of this gen was not on my bingo card lol

So when does that series get a dedicated section on your website, huh Nintendo?

giphy.gif

Nurturing quality IPs that don't necessarily take AAA resources to create is the way to go.

If Ubisoft has managed Prince of Persia better the Lost Crown probably would have been an easy multi-million seller for example
Unfortunately we have to pray they continue after lost crown. I hope it made its money back at least

Makes you wonder how much of a sales beast a mainline Pokémon game without negative WOM in internet bubbles would do, but that’d be an impossibility

Makes you wonder how much of a sales beast a mainline Pokémon game without negative WOM in internet bubbles would do, but that’d be an impossibility
I think Palworld shows there's a huge appetite for a Pokemon game that doesn't look like ass.

There is absolutely no way that Nintendo expected 'iterative sequel made from the bones of a previous genre-defining game' to sell as well as the original.

FWIW, S/V’s sales curve has stronger legs so far than most other Pokemon games - I’m not so sure the WOM is that bad outside of certain internet bubbles tbh

Unrelated:

So it seems that Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury is now the second-best selling 3D Mario game of all time.
Outside of internet bubbles all I’ve heard is praise and more people getting into Pokémon than ever. That’s still anecdotal but Pokémon is a very healthy series now with many avenues for new fans, even comp is doing more now.

Thanks to @pierre485

GFolwQoWMAA8_pl

GFolzCgWEAAErmN

GFol2lGWUAATs5j

GFomfY2WIAETgwG

GFomhuuWAAICNLr

GFomkibXoAA1GBh

• Super Mario Bros. Wonder

GFonj1qX0AA5G8t

• Super Mario RPG

GFooFACXQAAdqBz

GFrBGS_WIAAwwHI

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

GFopQ1QWYAAN-8h

GFopTO9WQAAPOMb

GFopWoQXwAABa7k

• Pikmin 4
GFoqBxAWgAA6-NB

GFoqFeGXoAARd4e

• The Legend of Zelda: tears of the Kingdom

GFoqwCEWAAAof0Q

GFoqzmdWIAACiIc

• Pokémon Scalet/Violet
GFor23yWAAAOxvZ

GFosG88XIAAN0JU

GFosOIxWIAAygbO

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons
GFoswgRWkAAJrhK

GFoszjSXQAAI7fq

GFos2CGWAAAn2TB

• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
GFot0_WX0AACLbH

GFot3TvW8AATmhw

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

GFouwErWEAAIJXF

GFouyhMWcAAqpZh

• Super Mario Odyssey
GFovY6fXIAAl4lc

GFovbkOXQAAAc9G

• Pokémon Sword & Shield
GFowNzwXIAA4H5y

GFowQgNW4AAK-QA

GFowS6wXQAEUn_o

• Super Mario Party
GFowvx6WMAArrKX

GFowy-yWQAAobEe

• New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
GFoxWBVWQAAFi6M

GFoxYc1XkAE31Sq

GFoyGezW8AAP7YX

GFoyJCaWkAAm_d3

• Mario Party Superstars
GFozAQ1WoAAn_5c

GFozC2KXoAM-MLE

GFozGFCXYAA_2XD

• Nintendo Switch Sports
GFozqXxXAAESh1q

GFoztBoW4AAcBRL

GFozv3UWIAAKWOX

• Splatoon 3
GFo0AKoXYAAJz1_

• Luigi's Mansion 3
GFo0sBbXMAAlS9S

GFo2j6sX0AA7WIx

GFo4KcmW4AAV6Wg

GFo4MxtWAAA7fia

GFo4kikXoAAxY9Q

GFo4nD4XYAA7xp4

GFo55UCXsAEJkT7

GFo57cWWAAA4xny

GFo6KGjWAAANGzs

GFrKVKOWIAA4RRJ

Has there ever been a video game sequel that has sold more than its predecesor?
There definitely are a few. Mega Man 2, Splatoon 2, etc.

Though usually, it's because the first game is recognized as good but doesn't catch on right away. That is certainly not the case for BOTW.

I love that Nintendo gamers are still not flying towards digital. Our only saving grace so far is Nintendo being so old-fashioned and afraid of all-digital.

Warioware also probably costs infinitely less to make.
I'll say that Xenoblade has more avenues for revenue like amiibo, artbooks, scale figures, etc, not to mention I recall Takahashi saying that Xenoblade doesn't actually have THAT high of a budget.

Monolith might be wise to make a series with a new title even if its a follow up to Xeno stuff with a new marketing angle. Just to see how it goes.

Real Talk, given that Monolith also apparently does support stuff for many of Nintendo's big properties IN ADDITION TO cranking out games at a timely rate, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is more than happy to let them do whatever they want since it seems its paying off for them even if its not directly from their own series' sales.

Monolith might be wise to make a series with a new title even if its a follow up to Xeno stuff with a new marketing angle. Just to see how it goes.
Probably, Xenoblade’s reputation is beyond repair at this point. (But Nintendo fans are likely to still hate anything Monolith makes for being anime and not Star Fox or F-Zero)

Probably, Xenoblade’s reputation is beyond repair at this point. (But Nintendo fans are likely to still hate anything Monolith makes for being anime and not Star Fox or F-Zero)
i mean this is the nicest way possible, who gives a shit? If Monlith and Nintendo are happy with Xenoblade's numbers and they continue to make games in the franchise then who cares if it's not doing #AAAGaming numbers?

I think you’re over generalizing “Nintendo fans” here. I would wager many Nintendo fans have at least some interest in buying a game like Xenoblade but are pushed away for one reason or another (combat complexity, character design (particularly in XC2), etc). I think that the franchise has the potential for further growth on Nintendo consoles with some relatively small changes to make it more newcomer friendly.

As someone who has never played xenoblade I'm so confused by this narrative about it lol.

I put big doubt how "most people" supposedly view the franchise.

I mean they technically aren’t wrong. Look at the average Nintendo franchise and I would be it most people have zero idea what it is

what are we considering 'the average nintendo franchise' tho, like even if we took smash as a baseline idea the majority of the roster isnt from niche series. fire emblem, xenoblade, pikmin, mother and fzero? sure. but the majority of the roster is from games like mario, zelda, animal crossing, splatoon, kirby, pokemon and donkey kong.

I remain in pain as Xenoblade is now officially the worst selling Nintendo franchise by a large margin (Of franchises still getting games)
Bayonetta and WarioWare exist
Show the average gamer the Xenoblade battle system and they’re gonna have a heart attack looking at the 10 million hud elements and large numbers. It’s not because it’s anime, Fire Emblem Three Houses sold over 4 million copies.

Character design can also be a turnoff, and Xenoblade 2 definitely did that for some people. Though it seems like that game found it’s own audience, because I can’t browse the Xenoblade subreddit without getting bombarded with horny Pyra art.

But at the end of the day, does any of this really matter? As long as MonolithSoft is content to keep pumping these games out, I don’t think the sales mean much. It’s not gonna sell 8 million copies per entry, it doesn’t match the typical vibe of other Nintendo games, so it shouldn’t be expected to sell as well as those. As a Metroid fan I’ve long since made peace with this lol.

what are we considering 'the average nintendo franchise' tho, like even if we took smash as a baseline idea the majority of the roster isnt from niche series. fire emblem, xenoblade, pikmin, mother and fzero? sure. but the majority of the roster is from games like mario, zelda, animal crossing, splatoon, kirby, pokemon and donkey kong.
The average Nintendo franchise is any franchise made by Nintendo or their 2nd party studios. Look at any comprehensive list of Nintendo franchises and imagine yourself asking somebody, even a big fan of gaming, if they played a game from those franchises and what they would say. I would wager most franchises would be met with a hard no

A JRPG franchise that can sell over 2M on a single platform is impressive enough to me.
The only exclusive in the Switch era that sold below my expectations was Bayonetta 3, but I don't think even that lost money.

It's weird enough to grapple with the dissonance where the best selling Pikmin has sold more than the best selling Metroid.

In no small part due to so many people treating the former like a c-tier series and the latter, erroneously, like an a-tier series.

Though I don't think that record will last that long what with MP4.

Also Xenoblade is the kind of series that is typically conducive to being niche. That's fine, it still sells well for what it is.

It's weird enough to grapple with the dissonance where the best selling Pikmin has sold more than the best selling Metroid.

In no small part due to so many people treating the former like a c-tier series and the latter, erroneously, like an a-tier series.

Though I don't think that record will last that long what with MP4.

Also Xenoblade is the kind of series that is typically conducive to being niche. That's fine, it still sells well for what it is.
Super Metroid, and Metroid Prime are considered 2 of some of the best video games ever made and almost the rest of the series is also no slouch, yeah they don't sell the best but the sheer quality of the franchise is why Metroid is considered a S-tier Nintendo franchises even if sales don't reflect that

Back
Top Bottom