• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Super Mario Bros. Wonder (11.96M), Super Mario RPG (3.14M), and more

mazi

picross pundit

updated sales numbers as of December 31, 2023 (+sales in the last quarter):
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 60.58M (+3.57M)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 44.79M (+1.41M)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 33.67M (+1.23M)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31.61M (+460K)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 27.65M (+700K)
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield - 26.17M (+150K)
  • Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 24.36M (+1.13M)
  • Super Mario Party - 20.34M (+680K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 20.28M (+780K)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 17.20M (+500K)
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3 - 13.98M (+1.16M since March 2023)
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury - 13.17M (+590K)
  • Nintendo Switch Sports - 12.48M (+1.71M)
  • Mario Party Superstars - 12.31M (+870K)
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 11.96M
  • Splatoon 3 - 11.71M (+1.04M since March 2023)
  • Pikmin 4 - 3.33M (+720K)
  • Super Mario RPG - 3.14M

Last edited:
Mario Party having a game selling 20+ million is such a pleasing result, given how vastly underestimated it is as a series.

Thank you for reading.

Great numbers for Wonder and RPG.
For comparison, Origami King sold less than this over a six month period

IIt's beating Origami King which is at 3.05M at six months. Currently it is at 3.47M. Super Mario RPG should beat it shortly. I think it will end close or beating 4M
Is this gonna launch another round of Paper Mario discourse?

Great numbers for Wonder and RPG.

Is this gonna launch another round of Paper Mario discourse?
I hope not. I enjoy both games tremendously.

Sales wise, this is in-line with other Mario RPG-esque spinoffs.

...Unfortunately, the true storm is gonna come when the Thousand Year Door remake comes out. Now THAT will be a disaster.

Over 60 million for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is quite the milestone. I wonder what Nintendo's expectations for the next Mario Kart are.

I mean probably

I haven't played TOK, I don't have an opinion of it, but as a fan of the traditional Mario RPGs, I hope this is the start of Nintendo bringing them back
Knowing the luck of Mario RPG-esque fans, Nintendo'll probably doing something like make it a looter shooter just to make everyone unhappy :p

I mean probably

I haven't played TOK, I don't have an opinion of it, but as a fan of the traditional Mario RPGs, I hope this is the start of Nintendo bringing them back
Yeah I want to see more of these type of Mario RPGs too

The radical shift in Paper Mario's style automatically makes any discourse around it tiring, though

Also, TOTK's sales per quarter:
Q2 2023: 18.51m
Q3 2023: 19.50m (+990k)
Q4 2023: 20.28m (+780k)
Q1 2024:

SMRPG I was definitely thinking at least a million - 1-2 million. 3M+ is an amazing result!

I think after everything is said and done, Superstars may crawl to 14-15M sold.

It's wild to look at the numbers and see that Mario Kart 8, essentially a decade old game, is still selling basically "one Pikmin 4's worth" in one quarter

A disaster in which way, are you thinking?
Well, Barely Able took my comment. I honestly don't know which way it will be go. If I had to guess I'd say TTYD will outsell TOK by the same metrics as SMRPG (So 250k-750k). Granted, maybe the Switch Successor changes this but I'm not so sure that will be the case. Regardless, even if TTYD sales beat TOKs or underperforms compared to TOKs...it will probably cause some serious headaches amongst the moderation team.

Spreadsheet updated as usual; and once again no longer can embed :(

Nice legs on Pikmin 4; and Mario RPG opening strong too.

3 million is great for Super Mario RPG. Hopefully it is enough for us to get more games like it, but I’m not sure it hit the level where it’s 100% a sure thing.

Awesome numbers for Mario Wonder and Pikmin.

Personally I'm very happy with Pikmin 4 doing so well. No surprise Wonder sold well though lmao.

Super Mario RPG is definitely getting a sequel, right?
One can only hope. I did not expect it to do this well iirc. I think I suspected 2-3M when that conversation happened here. It's a fun game and a nice entry point for RPG's imo.

That is too real 😅 I'm thinking TTYD is the April game too so imo the discourse is rapidly approaching
I think if TTYD was April it would already be dated. My guess is July for the original's 20th anniversary, but hopefully we learn in this month's Direct.

scarlet/violet have passed gold/silver and are now the third best selling pokemon titles (thanks to serebii)

GFokkAaXwAAC_bN

Those sales numbers are straight up unreal. Personally, really happy to see Pikmin 4 doing so well. Hope that that means that the next one won’t take a billion years to come out

It’s gonna be made clear people don’t want the direction Nintendo has taken Paper Mario. A remake of a Mario RPG is selling this much this fast is good to see.

so when the next zelda remake comes out we gonna have discourse about it outselling totk? /s

Good sales for Super Mario RPG but not really too surprising for me - holiday release window, Mario got a huge boost this year (more so than normal) thanks to the movie and this has Super Mario in the title to further draw people in.

I think people comparing it to Paper Mario and what people want that series to be are only really seeing what they want to see from these sales.

Glad to see Mario RPGs continue to thrive. Doubt it will outsell Bowser's Inside Story (it sure won't outsell Kingdom Battle), but it's only been what, like 4 months? Pretty good, but I wouldn't exactly be surprised if it doesn't get another sales update next quarter.

It’s gonna be made clear people don’t want the direction Nintendo has taken Paper Mario. A remake of a Mario RPG is selling this much this fast is good to see.
Does it? It seems within the range as the other sales. I think what will determine this is if whatever PM sequel is and the sales of it increases or decreases.

Honestly, if PM drops the RPG battles completely and goes full adventure (which ironically would be a decent replacement for classic 2D/early 3D Zelda), I think it would be just as lauded if it went full RPG. Like, humor and storywise, TOK got it down. It's the hybrid gameplay that tends to be the hot topic.

Back
Top Bottom