• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Unicorn Overlord (Atlus x Vanillaware) announced, coming to all consoles on March 8th (UPDATE: demo out now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried the demo and for someone who was planning on getting it later, it might have convinced to get it day 1 lol. Its really good looking game and as great ost (so far). Story beginnings a little predictable but I would think its gonna be more than that.

kinda makes me want to play the demo but I don't really have time for a March game anyways unfortunately, I got so much stuff on my plate as it is before SaGa and Eiyuden both come out in April

I'm trying to find lots of reasons to hate this demo and sadly I can't find much

dammit. Am I really gonna give Vanillaware my money? fuck

kinda makes me want to play the demo but I don't really have time for a March game anyways unfortunately, I got so much stuff on my plate as it is before SaGa and Eiyuden both come out in April
In that case thats the smart move lol. Apparently you can get 8 hours of playtime in the demo. I do hope we get a SaGa demo

Well as someone who was somewhat skeptical of the game before I'm pretty much entirely sold at this point. Lost like 4-5 hours to this demo already

Wasn't really sure about the combat but turns out it's really fun optimizing team compositions even with the very limited character movesets we have at the start. Plus the tactics layer is turning out to be pretty solid as well, and the world map exploration is fun for what it is. Love how open it is. Story is fairly boilerplate but good enough so far given that, and even if it stays that way I feel like the characters and voice acting will probably carry it through for me anyways

Also yeah this game is absolutely gorgeous, even on the OG Switch

I feel like I'm going to lose so much time just to team optimization and character tweaking

This is almost where I'm at. It's almost crueler since it just means I can start it now and have to wait with actual knowledge, instead of just waiting.

...but I could just touch it....
One possible strategy

1. Wait 2 more weeks

2. BEGIN DA DEMO

3. When you finish demo, can basically transition straightaway into the full game!

4. You just got the game a couple days earlier, sorta!

===

Haven't played a new JRPG strategy series in a long while.

With Vanillaware's pedigree, man, it's looking like Day One. 💸

The Collectors edition has a whole-ass card game in there!?!

Started out the demo and just as I figured, I am already loving it.

I'll see where I'm at after Rebirth. I don't want to wait too long to play this game though.

Do Vanillaware games tend to get good discounts down the line? I enjoyed the demo but its weirdly pricey in AUD.

I would say really middle ground. 13 Sentinels is finally on good sale, I picked it up last April on what I would call an ehh sale. So it will go on sale before the year's end but not for more than 20 or 30% off.

This game is beautiful on my OG Switch, can't imagine how good it looks on an OLED model. Soon I will have every Vanillaware western release on handheld; hopefully Atlus and Marvelous will bring over Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Dragon's Crown, and Muramasa Rebirth to the Switch so I can have them all on one platform.
Do Vanillaware games tend to get good discounts down the line? I enjoyed the demo but its weirdly pricey in AUD.
Yeah, Atlus games get pretty good discounts about 6 months to a year after release and the same goes for NISA (GrimGrimoire OnceMore).
Is Atlus involved in the game beyond publishing?
From what I understand yes; Atlus usually has staff assist Vanillaware for games they publish.

From what I understand yes; Atlus usually has staff assist Vanillaware for games they publish.

That's a great sign the rpg aspects will be top notch. Really looking forward to this game.

This game is shockingly good. The idea of battles actually happening on the overworld map makes this feel like an evolution of SRPGs. Blew threw the demo, and highly anticipating the full thing
I’m always really happy to see SRPG design that shakes things up a bit, I haven’t been this excited about one since Into the Breach

I've been trying to avoid news about this game because the last thing I need right now is another game I want to play, but you all have convinced me. Downloading the demo now.

The battles really shook me at first but I as progressed I thought "Man, this is nice, I could get used to this". Its a whole another layer of thought process and I love it.

Why? The saves will carry over.
Speaking personally, it's because you get so addicted to the demo that even 8 hours aren't enough and god I need this game yesterday. I went from being only mildly interested in this game to this being easily a personal GoTY contender if it keeps up this level of quality (or improves).

Edit: Random thoughts
  • Another strategy game, another game where cavalry is overpowered. That one skill that refunds AP if you get a kill is nasty with the right setup
  • Then again, a lot of setups seem like they could be nasty. The teambuilding possibilities here feel literally endless
  • God the presentation is so good, especially in motion. I was originally thinking the game overall looks a bit less good artistically than 13 Sentinels, but it's made up for by how solid the animations are
  • The world map is a pretty cool idea and allows for some really open ended progression, while keeping things feeling fresher than the genre's current hub world obsession
  • There's a good amount of QoL elements here, though I do wish there were some more (For example, if you're trying to swap characters between units, you can see the Rapport of them with their respective unit members but not with the ones they'd swap to, which feels like a bit of a miss)
  • The story is probably the biggest element that's just kinda "alright" instead of excellent. The characters are pretty solid though so far so I'm excited for that. The story could also potentially be interesting in the long run but I'm worried the more open ended elements might come back to bite it there.

Last edited:
$95 on the eShop :(
That seems to be about 60 USD when converted from AUD. Sound about right I suppose. Unless of course like Australia had regional pricing too. From where I live, games are generally $10 cheaper. For example, BOTW here is $50 physical converted from the local currency.

That seems to be about 60 USD when converted from AUD. Sound about right I suppose. Unless of course like Australia had regional pricing too. From where I live, games are generally $10 cheaper. For example, BOTW here is $50 physical converted from the local currency.
There aren't many other games on the Eshop over $90 apart from deluxe editions which is why I was a little shocked haha. It's not crazy out there but enough to make me hesitate getting it soon. I have a decent backlog so I'll probably wait

as a big time Vanillaware hater

74ea9fb9-951f-47ba-8dcf-9ab6a00349e6_text.gif

I'm obviously completely dense, but I couldn't figure out how to go into battle.

It’s not often that 10 minutes into a demo is enough to get me to want to get the game on launch, but this was just such a pleasant surprise. Vanillaware always kills it with their art but I dunno, something about this one just spoke to me. Maybe I’m in the mood for some good old fashioned fantasy vibes I guess? Either way, I’m hoping that this and Shiren 6 will both help me get out of my gaming funk!

This is the best Ogre Battle game we've ever had. And the amount of granular control you have over your moves and when they happen and who's where in the formation is incredible. The game is so lush with details, which you'd expect from Vanillaware, it's great. Absolutely a day one buy. The very first battle song, I knew I was witnessing peak.

Just played the demo. It was great. Definitely the Ogre Battle "sequel" we needed.

Will definitely buy it at launch.

I want to try the demo but I’m afraid I’ll love it and I’ll end up buying the game at day1 when I won’t have time to play😭

alright i'm committed. preorder a physical copy off Gamestop

as a big time Vanillaware hater, this is a massive L I'm taking. feels bad

I'm not super into Vanillaware either, but they're great with art direction and having Atlus backing up the RPG side, I was sure from the first trailer that this would be special.

Just biding my time and shopping around to find a copy at a decent price, I’m not paying £50 for a video game, even one I know I’ll love.

You know the game is addictive when you're replaying the demo instead of moving on to FF7R.

Only criticism I have of the game as of now is the story. First there's the blink-and-you-miss-it breakneck speed at which the instigating events occur. Suddenly there's a betrayal. Suddenly there's an empire. Suddenly the empire conquered everything. Suddenly it's ten years later. Suddenly the empire is arriving at your shores. Suddenly you're departing for the empire's lands. Suddenly your childhood friend is abducted. It's just way too fast-paced for this kind of story.

The other thing I really didn't like about the story is the mind-control. It's just such a lame story element. Instead of having old allies join the empire due to conflicting interests or inherent character flaws, it's just all boiled down to "brainwashed lol".

You know the game is addictive when you're replaying the demo instead of moving on to FF7R.

Only criticism I have of the game as of now is the story. First there's the blink-and-you-miss-it breakneck speed at which the instigating events occur. Suddenly there's a betrayal. Suddenly there's an empire. Suddenly the empire conquered everything. Suddenly it's ten years later. Suddenly the empire is arriving at your shores. Suddenly you're departing for the empire's lands. Suddenly your childhood friend is abducted. It's just way too fast-paced for this kind of story.

The other thing I really didn't like about the story is the mind-control. It's just such a lame story element. Instead of having old allies join the empire due to conflicting interests or inherent character flaws, it's just all boiled down to "brainwashed lol".
Yeah that’s a pretty simplistic motivation, often done so those characters can eventually switch loyalties on a dime when the control is switched off. So they can join the party and no one needs to feel bad about it or mention it ever again. It’s poor, cliched writing, as opposed to the much more interesting ‘it made sense to be allies of convenience with the Empire then, because of things you don’t know, or problematic elements of your own kingdom’s past, or maybe I was being blackmailed and my own dependents and land were under threat’. Still, I guess it’s the same with Fire Emblem where recruitment is often ‘hey! You with a unique portrait! Wanna team up with us and betray all the people you’ve been fighting alongside for months?’ ‘Sure do, the army of super friends sounds like a great idea! Hold on, I’ll just stab the guy next to me in the back. There we go. That wasn’t awkward at all.’

Yeah that’s a pretty simplistic motivation, often done so those characters can eventually switch loyalties on a dime when the control is switched off. So they can join the party and no one needs to feel bad about it or mention it ever again. It’s poor, cliched writing, as opposed to the much more interesting ‘it made sense to be allies of convenience with the Empire then, because of things you don’t know, or problematic elements of your own kingdom’s past, or maybe I was being blackmailed and my own dependents and land were under threat’. Still, I guess it’s the same with Fire Emblem where recruitment is often ‘hey! You with a unique portrait! Wanna team up with us and betray all the people you’ve been fighting alongside for months?’ ‘Sure do, the army of super friends sounds like a great idea! Hold on, I’ll just stab the guy next to me in the back. There we go. That wasn’t awkward at all.’
Tbf, the brainwashing isn't for every recruitable unit, a good chunk of them have their own non brainwashing reasons for being against you (though imo it's still funny how many of them have sympathetic backstories going on). It's also implied that several old retainers of the old queen joined up for non-brainwashing reasons so that'll be interesting to see later

Not sure how it'll play out in the long run with the sympathetic backstory characters, especially in supports and all, but it has potential

Tbf that's all just kinda setup for the actual plot. I'm at least personally fine with that going quickly, I'm in favor of zooming through the backstory to get to the good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom