• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Unicorn Overlord (Atlus x Vanillaware) announced, coming to all consoles on March 8th (UPDATE: demo out now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So happy to see Vanillaware's new fantasy IP is coming to the Switch day 1!

This feels overwhelming, but I'd like to think they know what they're doing. Looks incredible

The tag line of "rebirth of tactical fantasy RPG" is pretty funny given all the tactics games being released lately. I know its not an attack, but it feels like calling out Square given they have been releasing a few already lol.

Day one, I've been a huge fan of Vanillaware since Odin Sphere on the PS2 and I'm glad they are releasing this day and date with the other platforms. Personally I think Vanillaware and tactical games shine brighter on handhelds so this will be a great fit on the Switch.

Atlus helping out with the RPG crunch means I’m really interested in this, it has a lot of potential

This was stunning. I was eyeing Ogre Battle 64 before the Wii U eshop closed. I didn't get it, but this looks like it could scratch that desire to try that kinda gameplay

Kept asking myself "is this VanillaWare ? This soooo looks like their artstyle and animation style, but would it really be announced in a direct ? Is it really them ?"
Then they showed the food and I was like "oh yeah it's 100% them" lmao

Crazy that it was announced in a Nintendo Direct ! And that it's releasing day and date with the PS version !

Kept asking myself "is this VanillaWare ? This soooo looks like their artstyle and animation style, but would it really be announced in a direct ? Is it really them ?"

Crazy that it was announced in a Nintendo Direct ! And that it's releasing day and date with the PS version !

I guess, they needed a reminder that their stuff sells good on Nintendo systems, and the success of the late 13 Sentinels port was that reminder.

Hopefully, they never forget that again.

This game is going to sell zero copies on Xbox, possibly even less

Sure ... not going to be a successful port on there ... but it's not that i'm responsible for their release decisions! ^^ ;D

Lol, my reaction was the same. Kind of reminds me of when they announced Dragon's Crown during the first (and only) Vita Heaven event years ago. I remember seeing that game and instantly telling myself, "this is definitely Vanillaware."

This looks pretty good. I’ll be watching out for this, but I hope they add something interesting to make it more than just a tactical fantasy RPG

This was the big downer of the Direct for me.

Like, it's another mid-sized game that didn't grab me due to it being this messy yet generic strategy RPG. Sure. But on a personal level, I'm just bummed that I don't find it in me to be intrigued by something made by Vanillaware and Keiichi Okabe.

I want the card game to be localized.
Heck I would buy a Vanillaware card game at this point on the art alone. They have enough material for a main set + expansions.

packshot_esrb_rp.png

Any chance we'll get the limited edition in the west? I'd really like a copy of the artbook.
Looks like it will come to the West

That sure is a name all right, but I'm all in, this look great. After 13 Sentinels I was going to be down for anything Vanillaware, and the fact that it's a turn-based tactics game of some sort is all the better.

Rha, another game I would like to love, but I'm really not a srpg guy...
Looks really beautiful, as always with vanillaware stuff. Glad it doesn't get the "major platforms" Atlus treatment.

13 Sentinels had multiple difficulties, so I'd hope this has an easy mode so that dummies like me can keep up if need be

I thought this was Fire Emblem and was surprised when it is not, it even seems to have the same kind of classes. I saw a similar heavy knight and a unicorn flyer. Oh well, what did I miss?

This looks so freakin' awesome, but tactics... why did it have to be tactics? 😞
Because tactics are great, and this looks like a reasonably fresh take on it rather than a homage to either FFT or FE?* There’s shitloads of other RPGs coming down the pipe.

*(not that there’s anything wrong with that, Triangle Strategy was ace)

Last edited:
This game is ridiculously gorgeous honestly i might buy it just for the visual feast it is.

highlight of the Direct, imho.

Agreed. Mario wonder was a no-show, but it was already a no-brainer... same with Mario rpg.

I hadn't even heard of this one. Love Atlus(never played a vanillaware game), love the art style.

I told myself I would give the next Vanillaware game a shot after 13 Sentinels blew me away.

It being a strategy game is just absolute serendipity

Whoa whoa..that collector's edition. I am not a trinkets guy at all outside of a handful of artbooms. Hollow Knight is the only collector's edition Ive ever bought...but a full card game is making this tempting for me. Gonna have to think on this one.

Actually gameplay reminds me of Pandora's Reflection by Sting, a bit.
At least until the units are in the turn based battles. Looks really good, love me some Tactical RPGs + Vanillaware games.

Actually gameplay reminds me of Pandora's Reflection by Sting, a bit.
At least until the units are in the turn based battles. Looks really good, love me some Tactical RPGs + Vanillaware games.
I was actually thinking this myself lol

I love how I went from having like no new SRPGS to drowning in them the past two or so years, keep them coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom