• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Unicorn Overlord (Atlus x Vanillaware) announced, coming to all consoles on March 8th (UPDATE: demo out now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbf that's all just kinda setup for the actual plot. I'm at least personally fine with that going quickly, I'm in favor of zooming through the backstory to get to the good stuff
The problem for me is that all this does is make for a poorly set-up story. Even if you're right that it's preferable to get through the backstory quickly, there are better ways of going about it that we've seen in other stories. And the setting of Unicorn Overlord has a lot of background information on nations and characters that would make for a much more compelling story if the introduction had been handled better.

Oh no, it's fun...

1xI0P1.gif

I'm weak. Tried it on the switch and now the PS5. It's... Beautiful.
You know the game is addictive when you're replaying the demo instead of moving on to FF7R.

Only criticism I have of the game as of now is the story. First there's the blink-and-you-miss-it breakneck speed at which the instigating events occur. Suddenly there's a betrayal. Suddenly there's an empire. Suddenly the empire conquered everything. Suddenly it's ten years later. Suddenly the empire is arriving at your shores. Suddenly you're departing for the empire's lands. Suddenly your childhood friend is abducted. It's just way too fast-paced for this kind of story.

The other thing I really didn't like about the story is the mind-control. It's just such a lame story element. Instead of having old allies join the empire due to conflicting interests or inherent character flaws, it's just all boiled down to "brainwashed lol".
I'm willing to forgive the super quick intro simply because it's all just an absurdly thinly veiled homage to the first Fire Emblem, since it's almost 1 to 1.

I'm willing to forgive the super quick intro simply because it's all just an absurdly thinly veiled homage to the first Fire Emblem, since it's almost 1 to 1.
I've always thought, man Alain looks like a Marth architype (I've only seen the first trailer) and then I laughed at the first couple of lines spoken. I love it.

But yeah this game is gorgeous.

Yeah it’s not like ‘Prince is betrayed and goes on campaign to win country back by adding an army of varied units to his handful of loyal retainers!’ is a groundbreaking setup in SRPGs

The problem for me is that all this does is make for a poorly set-up story. Even if you're right that it's preferable to get through the backstory quickly, there are better ways of going about it that we've seen in other stories. And the setting of Unicorn Overlord has a lot of background information on nations and characters that would make for a much more compelling story if the introduction had been handled better.
That's probably fair that it could've been handled a bit better or with more frontloaded intrigue. I guess I just personally prefer getting right into the very compelling action and mixing the story stuff in as you go along

But I'm very much a gameplay first kind of person even in typically story focused genres, so I get why people would think differently

Just biding my time and shopping around to find a copy at a decent price, I’m not paying £50 for a video game, even one I know I’ll love.
Try Cool Shop if you're in the UK - I've used them occasionally with no issue and they had Unicorn Overlord below £40 the other day. Trust Pilot gives them good reviews, too. I might end up preordering from there despite The Pile...

Still not playing the demo for reasons I already mentioned, but I love reading everyone's impressions here.

Gonna be special.

I do see the story complaints, but IMO if I had to choose between this and Triangle Strategy - which has a similar setup, provides more complex character motivations, but moves really quite slowly at the beginning - it's honestly kinda a wash. And I vastly prefer this to, say, Fire Emblem Engage's equally rote setup with far more irritating characters

I'm not super into Vanillaware either, but they're great with art direction and having Atlus backing up the RPG side, I was sure from the first trailer that this would be special.
yeah I know they're good at the art part. the gameplay part is where they flounder. I should look into how much work Atlus is putting in. I might be able to not give VW the point if it's really Atlus behind the important stuff :LOL:

Casually keeping up with the thread and I have to ask: where has it been stated (specifically in what ways) that Atlus is helping with the game? Because VW has grown considerably in headcount these past few years. I wouldn't put it past them to be able to handle mostly everything themselves.

Demo hype has been getting to me but I'll be holding off as there's no way I'll be there day 1, though my anticipation for the title has only increased over time.

The demo was awesome. I have too many dang video games to play already and have Princess Peach pre-ordered, so I'm going to hold off for a little bit. But I am gonna get there.

An old paladin named Josef at high level but with horrible growths and a couple of cavalier buddies called Clive and Adel... hmmmmmmm

You know that thing where you finish a game that was so good that you have trouble playing anything else for a bit?

I got that from this demo

Found a list of recruitable characters in the demo and apparently I got 10 more to go lol (on top of the 15 + Alain I already got)

As someone who has basically no time to play this until the actual launch day, these demo impressions are giving me life. Can't wait.

How difficult do you think it will be to snag a physical copy a month or two after release? It is coming out just a week after FF VII Rebirth which will likely get my attention. A money savvy would just wait until Unicorn Overlord reduces in price but it is a niche series. Granted other niche games are still available physically.

How difficult do you think it will be to snag a physical copy a month or two after release? It is coming out just a week after FF VII Rebirth which will likely get my attention. A money savvy would just wait until Unicorn Overlord reduces in price but it is a niche series. Granted other niche games are still available physically.
I wouldnt worry too much, even 13 Sentinels is still easily available

Casually keeping up with the thread and I have to ask: where has it been stated (specifically in what ways) that Atlus is helping with the game? Because VW has grown considerably in headcount these past few years. I wouldn't put it past them to be able to handle mostly everything themselves.

Demo hype has been getting to me but I'll be holding off as there's no way I'll be there day 1, though my anticipation for the title has only increased over time.
I'm not too sure on how involved Atlus is with this title, but I have read that they helped with past Vanillaware collaborations. In particular Dragon's Crown, where after Ignition dropped the project Atlus had several staff help oversee development when they picked it up.

Nonetheless these games are Vanillaware's creations and we shouldn't disregard that no matter how much of a hand Atlus had during development.

I'm not too sure on how involved Atlus is with this title, but I have read that they helped with past Vanillaware collaborations. In particular Dragon's Crown, where after Ignition dropped the project Atlus had several staff help oversee development when they picked it up.

Nonetheless these games are Vanillaware's creations and we shouldn't disregard that no matter how much of a hand Atlus had during development.
Agreed. I was just curious as all I found (albeit through a very brief and superficial search) is that Atlus are the ones handling publishing duties. Of course we'll see once credits are out but to me it feels like VW is doing the vast majority of the work as per usual.

Agreed. I was just curious as all I found (albeit through a very brief and superficial search) is that Atlus are the ones handling publishing duties. Of course we'll see once credits are out but to me it feels like VW is doing the vast majority of the work as per usual.
I'd imagine it's similar to how Nintendo collaborate with third parties like MercurySteam where Nintendo just oversees everything and makes sure the project stays on schedule/budget while the main work is done by the developer, but as you posted we'll have a clearer picture once we get the credits.

Tried it, looks beautiful and obviously high quality game but I don’t think the gameplay is for me. Lots of people gonna love it though.

I'm down with reviving Ogre Battle as a Vanillaware project, but the story seems far too much like 80s strategy games for me to get invested. Hoping it's just misdirection, but aside from 13 Sentinels, Vanillaware games haven't had engaging storylines.

Fully in “wait until it gets deeply discounted on a sale” territory at least.

Enjoying the demo. I looked at my backlog and passed up on 13 Sentinels during the eShop sale because it looked too much like homework to learn how it works. I think UO seems a bit more accessible and straddles that line between explaining how the systems work and not interrupting your gameplay every thirty seconds. The obvious comparison would be with Triangle Strategy - that was one I didn't do past the demo because of how slow it felt to actually get somewhere. This seems like it lets you get on with it without too much exposition or tutorials.

Don't skip 13 Sentinels!
This!!! I caught some of you that haven't tried 13 Sentinels. Please give it a chance!!! It is just gorgeous with awesome plot!

Apart from that, I've completed the demo of Unicorn and it has so many interesting elements. The art style is peak Vanillaware and the music seems very promising. I m looking forward to March 8.

This!!! I caught some of you that haven't tried 13 Sentinels. Please give it a chance!!! It is just gorgeous with awesome plot!

Apart from that, I've completed the demo of Unicorn and it has so many interesting elements. The art style is peak Vanillaware and the music seems very promising. I m looking forward to March 8.
Some of these users need to go on a seaside vacation

Enjoying the demo. I looked at my backlog and passed up on 13 Sentinels during the eShop sale because it looked too much like homework to learn how it works. I think UO seems a bit more accessible and straddles that line between explaining how the systems work and not interrupting your gameplay every thirty seconds. The obvious comparison would be with Triangle Strategy - that was one I didn't do past the demo because of how slow it felt to actually get somewhere. This seems like it lets you get on with it without too much exposition or tutorials.
13 Sentinels actually has a much greater story focus compared to what i've seen of Unicorn Overlord. Like sure every few story sequences the game blocks you from progressing if you don't do the strategy battles, but I really liked going back and forth and I think I actually S-Ranked every story mission on hard.
And I'm no someone that likes to get too deep into the number crunching nitty gritty of RPGs.

13 Sentinels isn’t hard to get into at all.

For some reason, the game costs more than full price on the Brazilian eshop
It's slightly higher priced in the UK, too - £54.99 versus the more usual £49.99. Luckily in the UK at least it's easy enough to shop around for a lower priced physical copy; I hope that's possible in Brazil!

It's slightly higher priced in the UK, too - £54.99 versus the more usual £49.99. Luckily in the UK at least it's easy enough to shop around for a lower priced physical copy; I hope that's possible in Brazil!
I did look at CoolShop, thanks for the link. That price is good (£38) but they’ve now put up ‘Unfortunately, due to high demand, we cannot guarantee delivery of all pre-orders for release. The item will be available after the release date.’ Which makes me think they’ve been flooded with orders and I’d likely be waiting for them to restock…

Curry’s did really well for cheap Switch games last year, but even they are only doing £49.50 delivered on this one. I shall keep shopping around for now…

Hit.co.uk (used to be Base.co.uk) have it at £42.85

£55 on the eshop is a lot

Last edited:
I did look at CoolShop, thanks for the link. That price is good (£38) but they’ve now put up ‘Unfortunately, due to high demand, we cannot guarantee delivery of all pre-orders for release. The item will be available after the release date.’ Which makes me think they’ve been flooded with orders and I’d likely be waiting for them to restock…

Curry’s did really well for cheap Switch games last year, but even they are only doing £49.50 delivered on this one. I shall keep shopping around for now…
Curry's sometimes do 10% or even 20% off of preorders, so worth keeping an eye on. The other site I'd check is Hit (formerly Base), which is a smaller place which doesn't always get as much traction as other places and so is sometimes cheaper.

I just wanna point out this has been a thing since at least 1993 with Ogre Battle.
Fun story, I rented Ogre Battle 64 from my local rental shop so many times they let me keep it! :)

Also, OB64 really isent the same, yes the battles "occur" on the overworld. But there isent an actual "overworld" to speak of like in this game. But you are still right I suppose :)

Hit.co.uk (used to be Base.co.uk) have it at £42.85

£55 on the eshop is a lot
Pricespy listed Gamesold Seperately selling for £37.85

Never bought from them myself though.

Pricespy listed Gamesold Seperately selling for £37.85

Never bought from them myself though.
Nice spot!

Good recent reviews on Trustpilot, will give them a go

I’ve often noticed that niche stuff by Atlus, Falcom etc costs that extra £5. I guess they think the fan bases are small and front-loaded and happy to pay whatever

Played the demo, really fun. I hope money is scarce enough in the real game so you can't just heal off any damage you take by using items.

I'll have more extensive thoughts after I finish the demo, but for now one question:

Anyone know why lending range support will frequently result in a unit taking more damage from their foe than if they didn't receive any ranged support? I can't figure it out. I've checked all enemy units to see if there's any skill or weapon that triggers on hits or something similar that'd make the chip damage backfire. Nothing of the sort. No explanation. It's often just better to let units fight alone, rather than use your archers and mages to help.

Apparently a friend is getting this for me as a birthday gift, so right now I’m debating on whether to play more of the demo or just wait for the release date

Didn’t really pay attention to this despite knowing I’d probably like it. Played some of the demo.

Yup. I like it. Guess that’s another one for the shopping cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom