• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

Mario passed the orginal Frozen, is now the #2 highest grossing animated movie of all time behind Frozen 2 (or #3 behind the Lion King Remake, if you count it)

Well deserved.

I really hope this is a wake up call for Disney, their bloated budgets, and uninspired plots, and retreads. Oh, and not rushing movies out the door.

I cannot believe we are in a world where I am praising illumination and bashing Disney of all things. But the results speak for themselves. Illumination is an extremely talented animation studio, if not lacking in direction occasionally. But with a visionary team like Nintendo, oh boy Illumination was able to fire at all cylinders.

Also, remember when analysts predicted that it would sell like 500 million worldwide..... Hahaha.

Well deserved.

I really hope this is a wake up call for Disney, their bloated budgets, and uninspired plots, and retreads. Oh, and not rushing movies out the door.

I cannot believe we are in a world where I am praising illumination and bashing Disney of all things. But the results speak for themselves. Illumination is an extremely talented animation studio, if not lacking in direction occasionally. But with a visionary team like Nintendo, oh boy Illumination was able to fire at all cylinders.

Also, remember when analysts predicted that it would sell like 500 million worldwide..... Hahaha.

You cannot be serious in praising the plot of the super mario bros movie over what Disney has been putting out, lol. The threadbare storyline in the mario bros. Movie is one of the crappiest I've had the misfortune to see in cinemas in years.

The lesson everyone is going to take from this movie is that plot doesn't matter at all, you should just laser focus on generating as much nostalgia as possible.

You cannot be serious in praising the plot of the super mario bros movie over what Disney has been putting out, lol. The threadbare storyline in the mario bros. Movie is one of the crappiest I've had the misfortune to see in cinemas in years.

The lesson everyone is going to take from this movie is that plot doesn't matter at all, you should just laser focus on generating as much nostalgia as possible.
The Mario Movie is an effective plot even though it's thin, and it's far more Disney than Disney.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs has a bare thin plot, but it's simple, charming, and kids absolutely adored it. At the same time, Disney really focused on the technical wonder of the film to bring in adults, memorable and lovable characters, and an imaginative artstyle.

The Mario Movie is an effective plot even though it's thin, and it's far more Disney than Disney.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs has a bare thin plot, but it's simple, charming, and kids absolutely adored it. At the same time, Disney really focused on the technical wonder of the film to bring in adults, memorable and lovable characters, and an imaginative artstyle.

The fun thing about Snow White is that it's actually not very good! The animation is great of course, and while it's a very important movie for obvious reasons, it feels like a short film stretched far, far too long. Boring and forgettable. Disney obviously was still figuring out how to make a feature length animated film, and they'd succeed with Pinocchio, a vast improvement over their debut feature!

As for the Mario movie, I've already forgotten most of it, which is something it has in common with Snow White. Hopefully Nintendo tries to do something more interesting with their next attempt at a feature!

That lessons was already learnt by Disney with all the live action remakes :p

I find the Mario movie comparable to your usual animated Disney film. Throw some musical numbers over it and we've got a new Disney princess in Peach.

Friends, let's be fair: Frozen and The Super Mario Bros. Movie are both safe animated fare for kids made by big companies that made a boatload of money at the box office. They're not all that different in that regard! Frozen 2 is still a higher grossing movie! Mario is still gonna get lots of sequels! It's fine!

Looks like we're at 1.3 billion now. Probably doesn't have the momentum to hit 1.4, especially with the summer movie season moving into full force, but still a nice milestone.

If the Mario movie somehow makes it past 573M domestically and 1.32B worldwide, I think that would be nice. The former would've been triple Sonic the Hedgehog 2's domestic gross (second-highest domestically), while the latter would be triple Warcraft's worldwide gross (second-highest worldwide).

Still though, the Mario movie achieving this sort of record is very eye-opening, since the fact that it's both a video game film and an animated film (both tend to not do quite as well as their counterparts) worked against it, especially because it's under both groups. With such a record, one has to wonder if another video game film could've reach or even beat it.

Thank you for reading.

Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder with this movie?

It looks like the Physical is releasing now/soon. I don't really ever purchase movies, so I'm not sure if someone here will know the answer to this question. I'm mainly just looking to get a digital copy, but at $30, it would be the same price to get the Physical that includes a Blu Ray + DVD + Digital copy, so I'll probably do that.

Any idea if the digital copy that comes with the UDH Blu Ray bundle is the same as the one that comes with the regular Blu Ray bundle? I just don't know if digital copies typically distinguish between UHD and HD and if they do, wouldn't that be something that would need to disclosed on the actual case or packaging somewhere.

Looks like it’s official

It looks like the Physical is releasing now/soon. I don't really ever purchase movies, so I'm not sure if someone here will know the answer to this question. I'm mainly just looking to get a digital copy, but at $30, it would be the same price to get the Physical that includes a Blu Ray + DVD + Digital copy, so I'll probably do that.

Any idea if the digital copy that comes with the UDH Blu Ray bundle is the same as the one that comes with the regular Blu Ray bundle? I just don't know if digital copies typically distinguish between UHD and HD and if they do, wouldn't that be something that would need to disclosed on the actual case or packaging somewhere.

I believe it’s usually the same quality as the physical version, but don’t hold me to that.

I bought a 4k blu-ray of the movie at Walmart yesterday. Rewatched the movie last night and enjoyed it as much as the first time. Looked really good on my TV in Dolby vision.

Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder with this movie?

If being completely bamboozled by people endlessly fawning over one of the worst movies I've ever seen (it's not like I watch a huge amount, however), while simultaneously disappointed that said fawning means the rest of Nintendo's future cinematic efforts are likely to follow the extremely vapid, boring template of this movie is having a chip on my shoulder, then sure, you can describe it like that. I'm sorry that I'm not just going to endlessly join in endlessly celebrating something I didn't like that has incredibly glaring flaws. Even the new marketing promo just above has to be like "Look how many Easter eggs we have!", Because that's all the film is, a tired list of references to things, for people who want to read/write a Wikipedia list of references, rather than have a film, and that's the absolute worst kind of film making just like it was for star wars episode 9.

If you don't want to see my posts, the ignore button is right there. I'm sure plenty of people have used it.

If being completely bamboozled by people endlessly fawning over one of the worst movies I've ever seen (it's not like I watch a huge amount, however), while simultaneously disappointed that said fawning means the rest of Nintendo's future cinematic efforts are likely to follow the extremely vapid, boring template of this movie is having a chip on my shoulder, then sure, you can describe it like that. I'm sorry that I'm not just going to endlessly join in endlessly celebrating something I didn't like that has incredibly glaring flaws. Even the new marketing promo just above has to be like "Look how many Easter eggs we have!", Because that's all the film is, a tired list of references to things, for people who want to read/write a Wikipedia list of references, rather than have a film, and that's the absolute worst kind of film making just like it was for star wars episode 9.

If you don't want to see my posts, the ignore button is right there. I'm sure plenty of people have used it.

I mean, it’s perfectly fine if you don’t like the movie, but there is indeed a spectrum of quality between “the best thing ever made” and “the worst thing ever made” that is woefully underutilized in online discourse. Pulling the “everyone is stupid but me” take to rationalize your disappointment with the film’s success isn’t exactly conducive towards good criticism.

If you ended up pre-ordering the Blu-Ray, look out for your mail! I got my copy of the Power-Up Edition from Best Buy yesterday, about a week before the announced 6/13 release date. Maybe others have gotten theirs early, too?

Walked into Target to see if they had put out the movie early, and they had. Got my copy, might give it a watch tonight.

Saw the movie for the second time today, about two months after my original viewing. I enjoyed rewatching it, spotted some new details i didn't catch on my first run. I'm so glad they nailed most of the movie, it's not perfect of course but it works really well for Mario.

I rewatch this two times now so I'm going for the four one ( which is weird cus usually i don't rewatch a lot of movies/shows and what's more in this short amount of time) and two together with my wife, and i enjoyed it more and more each time and find details that i didn't find past times like the Pink Yoshi savour in looking Mario eating a apple lol.
Do this is what i wanted since i was a kid and yeah it's not a greeeeat plot but it's good for what it is and the "pop songs" are cool good songs to, 80's goodness at it's peak and in line to the super show and Mario Bros OVA to so people complaining about that don't know or don't remember what multimedia Mario looks and feels like, hell even the live action has walk the dinosaur haha

Rewatched it last night

Pros:
Looks phenomenal with backlights and on an OLED
Some jokes land
Best looking illumination movie by a long shot.

Cons:
The theatre experience really made this movie, it's not that good at home, imo.
Story is pretty poor.
Most jokes don't hit.

Went from good first watch in a theatre, to average at home experience.

I really hope they get better writers for sequels, zelda and spin offs. They need it.

Rewatched it last night

Pros:
Looks phenomenal with backlights and on an OLED
Some jokes land
Best looking illumination movie by a long shot.

Cons:
The theatre experience really made this movie, it's not that good at home, imo.
Story is pretty poor.
Most jokes don't hit.

Went from good first watch in a theatre, to average at home experience.

I really hope they get better writers for sequels, zelda and spin offs. They need
Don't agree with cons i mean the story being light or non existent it's not a objective con or bad thing, the jokes do land in average the two times i watched on theatres all people laugh so to the average consumer the comedy works and people give their money so.
And personally i enjoyed more in my home that in cinemas and laugh just the same or more.
But of course for you it didn't mostly work so it's fine but for the masses it did so they don't need it but they would i feel.

Don't agree with cons i mean the story being light or non existent it's not a objective con or bad thing, the jokes do land in average the two times i watched on theatres all people laugh so to the average consumer the comedy works and people give their money so.
And personally i enjoyed more in my home that in cinemas and laugh just the same or more.
But of course for you it didn't mostly work so it's fine but for the masses it did so they don't need it but they would i feel.
That's okay, your entitled to your opinion one way or another.

This story structure, I don't think, would work well for anything but a first attempt. Zelda, Metroid, Luigi Mansion, that stuff needs a decent story to hook you in, or at the very least (metroid, LM) suspension.

But yes it is a broad comedy, I just don't find a lot of comedy funny, mostly jslust dark comedy. That's on me, but I def laughed/smiled less at home than in the theatre.

And everything is subjective so if people in it's majority say it's fine it's fine.
Hell I'm gonna trash a recent darling to try to make a point.
The other day my wife and i went to see Across the Spiderverse and my wife it's a great fan of the first one and Spider-Man in general.
During the movie i feel the speed of the movie was horrible it draaaag a lot of it was a lot of nothing for the first half of the movie and the jokes were meh a lot of parent stuff and just a couple of people laughed.
And this is more me but the animation made my head hurt really bad all the miss mash and colors and the choppy shit i don't remember the first one being so messy, so for me it was a hollow experience and a lot of mischaracterized Spider-Man in a wooow multiverse stuff.
At the end my wife was like... maaan i kinda didn't like it and agree with me on everything lol and i didn't expect that to be honest.

But fans and people are liking it so is fine but i wouldn't watch that movie ever again and my wife said the same it's not rewatchable at all and i suspect that it would hurts it's legs and make less money that people wants it to do.
But people are happy with it so good for them and i respect that.

That's okay, your entitled to your opinion one way or another.

This story structure, I don't think, would work well for anything but a first attempt. Zelda, Metroid, Luigi Mansion, that stuff needs a decent story to hook you in, or at the very least (metroid, LM) suspension.

But yes it is a broad comedy, I just don't find a lot of comedy funny, mostly jslust dark comedy. That's on me, but I def laughed/smiled less at home than in the theatre.
Zelda and decent story name a more iconic duo /s.
Being serious i kinda disagree Zelda and Luigi don't need a "complex story" Zelda needs good animation and cool choreography and thats kinda easy and illumination kinda already did it with Mario( hell that Evangelion kick with super Mario and Super Luigi cool stuff) they just need to ramp it up and put less comedy more anime fight action and we are good.
And Luigi's mansion just needs to be Scary movie for kids and you have a almost if not a 1 billi movie right there.

I kinda agree on Metroid.

Zelda and decent story name a more iconic duo /s.
Being serious i kinda disagree Zelda and Luigi don't need a "complex story" Zelda needs good animation and cool choreography and thats kinda easy and illumination kinda already did it with Mario( hell that Evangelion kick with super Mario and Super Luigi cool stuff) they just need to ramp it up and put less comedy more anime fight action and we are good.
And Luigi's mansion just needs to be Scary movie for kids and you have a almost if not a 1 billi movie right there.

I kinda agree on Metroid.
Not complex, just better haha d;

But yeah I'd be okay with that, just want a better story.

The domestic gross is already impressive, but considering the film didn’t do especially well in China, the international gross is even more impressive.
It's overall gross is also very impressive considering the budget: it is the movie with the lowest budget in the top 20 highest grossing movies ever.

I just started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia only because I was curious about Charlie Day because of the Super Mario movie. What immense happiness!

@WestEgg Some podcast that I pushed for a while ago finally came up. I was aiming to have the directors/writer talk but the podcast crew managed to get the head of story Ed Skudder, who was in charge of the storyboarding department of the movie.
I'll leave a link there

Some tidbits:
-They had to leave on the cutting room some of the action/combat because they pushed it pretty far.
-It took them quite a bit to figure out the tone but they finally settled on something Indiana Jones-esque, as in they did not intend it to be a very funny movie, but a movie where action and adventure are the main bulk with some comedic moments sprinkled in.
-They made sure that Mario, Luigi and Peach were not portrayed too goofy and as competent enough.
-They dialed up Yoshi's presence during pré-production/production then they dialed it way down.
-They never prioritized more plot or character, Illumination's thought process came into play in giving the movie a kinetic energy, they try to never linger on the emotion or sad moments too much (Skudder acknowledges that not lingering too much on any of that is a frequent complaint of Illumination as a studio), people over at Illumination try everything in their power to make sure their movies make the audience have the best time of their life.
-Nintendo was pretty lenient in letting them take whatever story beats they had planned but they wanted things to look very faithful to the games and provided lots of material for reference on how things should look.

Last edited:
They never prioritized more plot or character, Illumination's thought process came into play in giving the movie a kinetic energy, they try to never linger on the emotion or sad moments too much (Skudder acknowledges that not lingering too much on any of that is a frequent complaint of Illumination as a studio), people over at Illumination try everything in their power to make sure their movies make the audience have the best time of their life.
I do hope that Illumination backs off from this a bit for a sequel. There's something to be said about the pure kinetic energy of the film, bouncing from scene to scene with a lot of fun action and shots. But because emotional beats aren't given more room to rest or be developed further, the movie can feel a little shallow. Not saying that the film needs to be overly dark or emotional, but the right push makes the "happy" and "kinetic" moments stronger, I find.

I don't expect them to back off from the focus given the film's success, but I hope.

I do hope that Illumination backs off from this a bit for a sequel. There's something to be said about the pure kinetic energy of the film, bouncing from scene to scene with a lot of fun action and shots. But because emotional beats aren't given more room to rest or be developed further, the movie can feel a little shallow. Not saying that the film needs to be overly dark or emotional, but the right push makes the "happy" and "kinetic" moments stronger, I find.

I don't expect them to back off from the focus given the film's success, but I hope.
Kind of have the same hopes as you tbh. The movie has a good skeleton but beyond the first 20 minutes and the last 8 minutes doesn't do anything of substance with it. There's something in the middle of the movie that doesn't quite feel like it's as connected to Mario's emotional journey as it could be. The Brooklyn scenes are the most character-charged in the whole movie and they are barely a third of it.

Last edited:
I picked up the blu-ray and can finally watch the movie! I haven’t bought a blu-ray in such a long time 😅

The frustrating thing is that I don't think they're even that far away from pulling off the beats. They just need to scale back a little bit y'know?

And I think they showed in this movie that they can do the character interactions just fine -give us more of them! Everyone loves Mario and Luigi's dynamic in this film, but Mario and Peach have some tangible chemistry in this film. They have never had that before.

I finally got around to watching this movie and I thought it was pretty mediocre. There was a lot of fan service which was fun but I think I laughed exactly once during the whole movie (
when Mario is fighting DK and eats the mushroom that makes him small
. Besides that the story wasn't that interesting to me, the song choices were very weird and felt completely out of place, The voice acting was mostly pretty good though Seth Rogan as DK just sounded like Seth Rogan's voice coming out of Donkey Kong and I never was able to ignore it. As someone who has thought Nintendo should have paired up with Pixar for a long time now I was pretty disappointed with Illumination's effort.

The movie is still running in a few markets, most notably Japan where it is showing strong legs still, but it looks like we can now safely say the movie is going to end up a little better than 1.35 billion dollars WW. How did Famiboards do with predictions?

c6f22d13-37ae-4002-b72e-f5ab6e88cd8e-jpeg.1289

Looks like the movie exceed 87.9% of our expectations (you can see from the screenshot that even I who was pretty optimistic for the movie voted 1-1.3). Congrats to the ones who got it right, this movie settled nicely in between Frozen and Frozen 2, and is the second or third largest animated movie of all time, the largest video game movie of all time by a 3X total, Illumination’s largest movie, and will almost certainly be the biggest film of the year. Mario and Nintendo IP are probably set to be a major focus for Universal in the coming years during a time when other IP across the film industry are losing their luster. We’re probably at the start of something big, and the future looks bright.

In terms of content it's very much a nothing movie, and it's disappointing when it gets defended by people settling for the bare minimum (it's a Mario/kids movie what do you expect?!?!) It's well animated and competently directed, but it doesn't reach that high point where the storytelling alone is engaging enough and can overcome the mediocrity its telling. It'd be nice if a movie based on one of, if not the best video game series was able to translate that same exceptional quality across mediums.

I rewatched it last week for the first time since the cinema.

My thoughts on it remain the same. In my heart it's a 9/10 movie that I absolutely adore, and will probably be my favourite movie of the year - even though Spiderverse will almost certainly be the best film I see this year.

It's probably a 5 or 6 out of 10 movie in the cold light of day. It's very competent and inoffensive, but the film never strives to be anything else.

And that's fine, they played it safe this time around. Hopefully the sequel will push for greater heights and have a tighter script - critical reception is literally the only thing this film is missing from being a homerun in every aspect.

I’m surprised it wasn’t sooner, I think Peacock needs Mario a heck of a lot more than Mario needs Peacock.

Finally watched it! It was a mixed bag, though 🫤

First things first, the visuals sre stunning, this film looks glorious on a modern TV. In my case, it was a very rare scenario where applying a native color space didn't result in an overly saturated picture, or at least one that wasn't too jarring, on the contrary, it was almost always pleasant to look at until the end credits, but it still looks magnificent even in a regular setting.

My favorite next thing is that they gave Peach an origin, which is a bit weird if you think about it but I'll take it, it was too a bit funny.

I like the premise and the characters but, at the same time, I felt everything was shallow, rushed and clichéd. A bit too much, especially rushed. I also thought the voice acting was very soft and got especially disappointed by Taylor-Joy's performance. In LA Spanish, the dub was generally better, which is a rarity these days Ale Pilar did a really good job as the princess.

More than that, it's unbelievable how Universal now have an indescribable amount of material to make movies just about the Mario universe. I just hope they're better because this first endeavor was kinda bad.

My two-year old is obsessed with Mario and this movie, so I’ve seen it a good number of times now. I still generally like it a lot, but the needle drops are awful. Every single one of them, every single time. They stick out like a sore thumb and the movie would be a lot better if they weren’t there.

Back
Top Bottom