• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

Oh dang, I'd actually love to see this (assuming accurate subs were used rather than just the english script. Hopefully that's an option on the blu-ray). Wish they were doing this in more theaters, because I'm not close to any of them.
I mean it seems they're not subtitled from what I've seen, but it's likely if the bluray doesn't have a sub for the japanese script that some fan will translate it accurately

Its happening at the same theater the Guardians 3 previews are at. If I can’t get into that I might check it out

It's not subtitled unfortunately. Extra disappointing for me because one of these is local.

FultNX8WAAEdnBr.png

Really miffed how cheaply they're pushing this out, what a waste. Would definitely see it again if it was subbed.
Eh, I wouldn't say cheap and I personally don't mind that it's not subtitled.

Eh, I wouldn't say cheap and I personally don't mind that it's not subtitled.
Not paying for someone to subtitle it in an English speaking country is pretty cheap, yeah. Clearly just pushed out as a novelty release to make some extra money while investing the absolute bare minimum in it.

I wonder if they'll reanimate the lip sync for the Japanese audio.. they keep mentioning it's not a traditional dub like in the other countries;

I wonder if they'll reanimate the lip sync for the Japanese audio.. they keep mentioning it's not a traditional dub like in the other countries;
Kung Fu Panda 3 (another Universal movie) did this. There's a Chinese version with lip sync reanimated for the Chinese language (the movie was also huge there, doing over 150M out of its +520M worldwide grosses in that territory) (also had an insane +150M budget tho, contrary to this)

Wait I missed something, where did this come from? I read the article about Miyamoto and didn't see anything about the length or the music in the Japanese version.

Just speculation/wishful thinking, knowing they would probably not react warmly to licenced music, + the arrangements of Tyler woul not go to waste.
And scenes such as the cheep cheep would still be there, instead of being cut.

Not paying for someone to subtitle it in an English speaking country is pretty cheap, yeah. Clearly just pushed out as a novelty release to make some extra money while investing the absolute bare minimum in it.
Like I said, I personally don't find it cheap, especially since, as you said it's a novelty🤷‍♂️. Agree to disagree.

I'm gonna join the "No English subtitles is a bizarre choice" team. Most big anime films with a theatrical release in the US have an English dub option or a Japanese with English subtitles option. Pretty much any foreign language film that isn't English dubbed also features English subtitles for a wide theatrical release. Japan is receiving both the Japanese dub and the English version of the Mario movie with Japanese subtitles, too. Don't see why the reverse treatment isn't being done here, novelty or not. It's honestly kinda baffling.

I mean, I want to be optimistic and say that this is some kinda mistake, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I'm gonna join the "No English subtitles is a bizarre choice" team. Most big anime films with a theatrical release in the US have an English dub option or a Japanese with English subtitles option. Pretty much any foreign language film that isn't English dubbed also features English subtitles for a wide theatrical release.
Yeah even my little podunk cow town got Suzume in Japanese with subtitles, so I'd be genuinely shocked if a movie as big as this, even a novelty foreign language release, doesn't have them.

“I did have a level of expectations that this movie would also do well [like the Super Nintendo World theme park], but I was very surprised that it went beyond what I could have imagined when it finally came out.

You need some luck to achieve this level of success for a film. While many foreign critics have given the movie relatively low ratings, I think that also contributed to the movie’s notoriety and buzz.

I’d be happy if viewers could say that the definition of what a movie is has changed because of this film. That just shows how lucky we were.”

Appearently they are without subs according to some comments?

Edit: Ah it was already talked about. Yeah, weird choice. Here in Germany a lot of Anime movies are with Japanese audio and subtitles in the movies.... I never saw one wthout subtitles. Is there even much audience for a Japanese without subtitles option outside of the Japanese-Americans? Which would explain why most of this are at the west coast.

I got some good news, folks. I went to check the AMC website concerning the Japanese showings. Looking at the AMC Empire 25 theater and seeing the showings, we got an update to the information: "Japanese Spoken with English Subtitles" is now prominently displayed.

Sound logic has won out, and now I'm interested in these showings again!

It was talked about in interviews already, but now they've decided on a marketing term for it; the "Super Japanese version" (rather than just a standard Japanese dub). It's a weird distinction to make but I guess they're really proud of that script.

I got some good news, folks. I went to check the AMC website concerning the Japanese showings. Looking at the AMC Empire 25 theater and seeing the showings, we got an update to the information: "Japanese Spoken with English Subtitles" is now prominently displayed.

Sound logic has won out, and now I'm interested in these showings again!
My local one says it is subbed as well. Wahoo!

Curse living in the Midwest! At least drop a showing in Chicago, dang it

It's a bit too early to tell but based on the opening day mario is expected to make $75m-$125m usd in japan

If anyone is seeing the Japanese version (Or is in Japan and seeing it now) would you mind making a comparison of how the English and Japanese versions differ?

If anyone is seeing the Japanese version (Or is in Japan and seeing it now) would you mind making a comparison of how the English and Japanese versions differ?
I’ve got limited Japanese but if i get a chance I’ll do my best.

Also as a side note, I’m near the one theater playing in WA (Cinemark Lincoln Square) and I find it funny that the official image lists it as “Seattle”, when that theater is in Bellevue. I guess everything around Seattle is also Seattle huh?

Last edited:
Also as a side note, I’m near the one theater playing in WA (Cinemark Lincoln Square) and I find it funny that the official image lists it as “Seattle”, when that theater is Bellevue. I guess everything around Seattle is also Seattle huh?
Californian here. There's a similar thing surrounding the idea that all of the Southern California metro area is basically Los Angeles and all of the Bay Area is basically San Francisco. 😅

Californian here. There's a similar thing surrounding the idea that all of the Southern California metro area is basically Los Angeles and all of the Bay Area is basically San Francisco. 😅
Yeah I grew up in socal and I just tell people "south of LA" whenever they ask where I grew up.

Ok is this coming to streaming soon or not? There was that big press about it getting delayed but then this https://mynintendonews.com/2023/05/...oks-to-be-set-for-digital-release-on-9th-may/
and like Amazon is advertising it like... idk I think the people being like "they're shooting themselves in the foot" are a little too obsessed with sweeps but I also am annoyed at people who were like "fuck the movie theater" when it got delayed I think the theater experience adds a lot to this compared to watching mario on the same thing you play it on but moreso just is it true or no

Ok is this coming to streaming soon or not? There was that big press about it getting delayed but then this https://mynintendonews.com/2023/05/...oks-to-be-set-for-digital-release-on-9th-may/
and like Amazon is advertising it like... idk I think the people being like "they're shooting themselves in the foot" are a little too obsessed with sweeps but I also am annoyed at people who were like "fuck the movie theater" when it got delayed I think the theater experience adds a lot to this compared to watching mario on the same thing you play it on but moreso just is it true or no
We don’t know, I’d just wait for the official account to say something.

Just got back from my local JP screening, which had subtitles btw! So as to how different the movie is compared to the English version…not all that much. Well at least in terms of scenes, content, and music anyways. I'll just over the main differences off the top of my head from what I remember:

• All the licensed music is still in and the exact same as the ENG version.
  • All the scenes and content is the same. No extra easter eggs or extended scenes
  • More grunts and sounds where the English version would generally have silence. Some examples, when Bowser's fire is is destroying the castle and you see the reflection in Kamek's glasses, Kamek does a little evil laugh. He also makes sounds as he summons the ice staircase for Bowser, who also makes exclamations as he destroys the ? block.
  • The Mario Bros rap commercial is fully localized and the JP VAs say "Itsa me Mario! Anda me Luigi!" at the beginning.
  • Jump-man is also voiced by Charles Martinet and he speaks Japanese as well! He says, "Zen zen, itsa perfect!" (zen zen - not at all).
  • The "another castle" joke is fully in English by the Toads!
  • Mario does a lot more "Bing bing Wahoo!" and "Hoohoo!" throughout the movie when doing anything athletic, like during the training scene.
  • DK is also pretty funny and I would say is more energetic than Seth Rogen's DK. During the DK Rap section, he says, "AI AMMU DONKI KONGU"
  • The blue shell koopa yells, "BURUU SHERU" when launching his attack.
  • Various other puns and wordplays changes as expected
Overall, it was more similar and different than I expected! I think it would be good for a repeat viewing, but not necessarily a first. The mouth flaps and various body movement flow better with the english dialogue, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it as much as the ENG version.

If anyone has any other questions about more specific things or whatnot, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Just got back from my local JP screening, which had subtitles btw! So as to how different the movie is compared to the English version…not all that much. Well at least in terms of scenes, content, and music anyways. I'll just over the main differences off the top of my head from what I remember:

• All the scenes and content is the same. No extra easter eggs or extended scenes
  • More grunts and sounds where the English version would generally have silence. Some examples, when Bowser's fire is is destroying the castle and you see the reflection in Kamek's glasses, Kamek does a little evil laugh. He also makes sounds as he summons the ice staircase for Bowser, who also makes exclamations as he destroys the ? block.
  • The Mario Bros rap commercial is fully localized and the JP VAs say "Itsa me Mario! Anda me Luigi!" at the beginning.
  • Jump-man is also voiced by Charles Martinet and he speaks Japanese as well! He says, "Zen zen, itsa perfect!" (zen zen - not at all).
  • Mario does a lot more "Bing bing Wahoo!" and "Hoohoo!" throughout the movie when doing anything athletic, like during the training scene.
  • DK is also pretty funny and I would say is more energetic than Seth Rogen's DK. During the DK Rap section, he says, "AI AMMU DONKI KONGU"
Overall, it was more similar and different than I expected! I think it would be good for a repeat viewing, but necessarily a first. The mouth flaps and various body movement flow better with the english dialogue, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it as much as the ENG version.

If anyone has any other questions about more specific things or whatnot, feel free to ask!
Thanks for the awesome summary!

Is NES changed for the Famicom in the scene where Mario plays?

Jump-man is also voiced by Charles Martinet and he speaks Japanese as well! He says, "Zen zen, itsa perfect!" (zen zen - not at all).
This is similar to other dubs. Charles Martinet is literally in all major language versions.

The Mario Movie will be available for rent on digital storefronts May 16. Not sure if that was already known! but it’s very soon. i’ll get to watch it finally!

$25 to rent, $30 to buy

oof

i mean i’ll pay it cause i wanna see the movie and that’s cheaper than a trip to the theater, but still. oof.

$25 to rent, $30 to buy

oof

i mean i’ll pay it cause i wanna see the movie and that’s cheaper than a trip to the theater, but still. oof.
ugh, they just did that with Renfield, too. I guess the days of the $5 movie rental are gone 😩

Loved it in the theater, I'll be waiting for the 4k blu ray to come out in June to watch it again. No way I'm paying 30 for it digital. Hell the 4k will be cheaper.

Just saw it last night. Really don't like illumination movies, so I was surprised how much I loved this. The nostalgia was just too strong. It's exactly how I imagined the world of Super Mario in my head as a kid.

Peach was not Peach from the games - but she couldn't be. Couldn't put traditional Peach in a movie. She was so much better here - and I wonder if that'll bleed over into the games.

Jus watched it yesterday... don't enjoy Illumination movies and didn't enjoy this one either. Innofensive to the Mario universe at best (even if some characters like Cranky don't feel right at all), but the tempo of the movie is a total mess and all the gags are the expected Illumination miss-comedy. Best part were the Easter eggs and references, which were really tastefull, along with the credits medley because the Gusty Gardens theme hits hard.

Finally saw the film tonight and I had a great time! This was my first movie in a movie theater in over 3 years. I went to a deserted showing, only two other people in the theater. It was refreshing to see an animated family film that wasn’t a Disney / Pixar movie for a change. They got the Mario look right and Pratt sounded far better in the final film than in the trailers. I think Luigi and Toad were definitely my favorite characters in the film and I’m really glad Peach had a far more active role than I expected. For minor characters I was happy to see both
King Bomb-omb and King Boo on the big screen and glad at least the former got to do something. Since we hadn’t seen much of it prior, I really dug seeing DK’s kingdom the most and the Mario Kart sequence that concluded it was definitely my favorite in the film. I guess I would have preferred no pop songs, but I felt they were inoffensively used here. I don’t think there were any standout memorable jokes per se (the dog comes close), but I enjoyed the light hearted fun, the visual jokes, and playfulness with the source material throughout. So yeah, was a great time. Glad we got a very good Mario film and I’m looking forward to the inevitable sequels and spinoffs.

This is the funniest way to see them leak early, but someone with access to the blu ray special features posted the concept art shown in one of the behind the scenes clips in 3DS camera quality. Some Illumination artist work but a lot of internal EPD art (Nakaue and co) which show a few ideas that didn't make it into the final.

Luigi, Toad and Yoshi joining Mario and DK in the wedding crash, Squawks being cut from the Jungle Kingdom segment (this is the first time we've seen Squawks in this art style), a classic bridge over lava confrontation, and a few smaller details. Can't wait to see these in full quality.

Last edited:
This is the funniest way to see them leak early, but someone with access to the blu ray special features posted the concept art shown in one of the behind the scenes clips in 3DS camera quality. Some Illumination artist work but a lot of internal EPD art (Nakaue and co) which show a few ideas that didn't make it into the final.

Luigi, Toad and Yoshi joining Mario and DK in the wedding crash, Squawks being cut from the Jungle Kingdom segment (this is the first time we've seen Squawks in this art style), a classic bridge over lava confrontation, and a few smaller details. Can't wait to see these in full quality.

This is some gorgeous concept work. Love that Nakaue and other Nintendo artists helped to shape the look and feel of the movie. Any of the unused concepts (like the more traditional Bowser fight, Fire Mario, more Mario & Luigi battling together) can always be used in a sequel. The Yoshi stuff inevitably will be! Gosh, we really need an Art of book for this film.

I wanna see this love put into the next Mario game.

Oh wow that is beautiful! Lots of old school Mario art vibes.

Did anyone try this movie with the Japanese voices and music? How is it?

Overall, it was more similar and different than I expected! I think it would be good for a repeat viewing, but not necessarily a first. The mouth flaps and various body movement flow better with the english dialogue, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it as much as the ENG version.

Back
Top Bottom