• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

I need better weapons all around for the last main objective. I literally have the master sword and nothing else of value. Even my bows are low damage.

If I know where I’m going, how long will the final sequence of events take once I get there?

I'm loving all the Gerudo region in general (the temple is my favourite, love the ambience when you first arrive, the city and the NPCs are great, the sidequests too), but specially the caves. It has probably the best caves of any region in the game, I'm having a lot of fun with them.
The Gerudo region is definitely my favorite all around. The only small bummer is that unless I’m missing it from somewhere, it doesn’t seem like the Desert Vai/veil gear is in the game this time around. I get that it wouldn’t have nearly as much of a purpose in this game anyway, but there’s still a lot of fun stuff they could have done with it. Plus I just liked wearing and dying it.

Turns out I've cleaned Koltin out of goodies, with a couple dozen Bubbulgems to spare. The Mystic outfit looks so good! I have to get that dyed over at Hateno.

How does it calculate game completion if you done almost every shrine, and are only about half way?
From what I can tell it also counts koroks, caves, wells, and any named locations that only get added to the map when you get to them

What an incredible ending.

WHAT THE EVER LIVING HECK

Y’all. I can’t. I didn’t think a Zelda game could make me cry.

I’ve been thinking about how much the general topography of the land has or hasn’t been changed between the two games. I’m talking outside of the big obvious changes like the caves, fallen sky platforms, and chasms. Like do individual mountains have slightly different inclines? Are there more trees in a certain forest than in BotW? Obviously these are really minor things that no one would really notice but I’m more curious from a development standpoint what they altered. Wonder if there’s any compilations on YouTube yet comparing the two games side by side looking for these things.

There's nothing wrong with a genuine exploration challenge. If you approach them with the intent to smash them out quickly separate from other tasks, maybe, but if you approach them as intended, which is to explore organically and discover as part of your adventure, they're not particularly obtuse except for one. Here, especially when they give you a map, the geoglyphs are glorified quest markers.

The Spring of Power in fact is an example of excellent design. As you access the photos at Hateno Tech Lab, you also initiate the Robbie's Research side quest. This points you in the direction of North Akkala. When it comes time to go there, on the way, you will almost surely find East Akkala Stable. There, Pikango will give you the hint you need to find the Spring of Power.

The only obtuse one is the Despair memory. Still, Pikango at Wetland Stable will point you in the direction of the grove and since the woodland in the area is quite small, it isn't too hard to find the right spot. It's still a bit awkward though and that is another example of excellent design in fact. By making this the most awkward to find, it makes it more likely that it'll be the last one you find (also being closer to the most dangerous part of the map helps too), which makes it more impactful when you seek out the final memory shortly after.

Similarly, I'd say the second most obtuse is the one in Eldin, which I always find a fun game of triangulation. This is good because it makes it more likely you'll find this one only after getting the Mipha memory. This is important because the Mipha memory shows the connection Link has in his mind between a lover and healing. So when you find the Eldin memory afterwards, with Zelda treating his wounds, it shows how Link is beginning to remember her.
Finding the forest memory was super memorable for me. I thought I had no chance of ever finding it when I saw the picture. Then, when exploring, I was like.. "wait. I think this is the place."
It was the place.
It felt very organic.

But the real brilliance of the memory quest in Breath of the Wild is how it impacted my entire playthough. Because before that moment, in every forest, I would think to myself, "this could be the one". I'd carefully looked at every single image, committed each to memory, and the entire time I was looking at everything in that context.
It's such a clever way of getting you to examine and understand the world while also imbuing something as simple as a forest walk with suspense and anticipation.

To add to that, because the memories focused almost entirely on Link and Zelda's relationship, the order of them truly didn't matter. I also just think they were better.

255hrs finally rolled credits and I’m exhausted. An amazing end to this game, thank you everyone here for not spoiling it, definitely something every Zelda fan needs to experience on their own. Only 68% completion which is crazy, I feel pretty good that I didn’t miss any major things, probably could have finished sooner, but there are so many great moments in this game that I just didn’t want them to end.
Lots of meat left on the bones that I still want to do which is a new feeling for me after completing a game, There were some odd game choices by the developers but the overall experience far out weighs any criticisms at least for me. I have finally been able to read spoilers from everyone and other than a few specific things to each of us and the way the story was allowed to unfold in an open world setting it’s nice to see that almost everyone had a great experience with this game.
My top highlights
I missed Hestu in the beginning so I had no idea about the Evermean trees attacking, freaked me out. Along with the first time finally figuring out how to defeat the gloom hands and relaxing then having Phantom Gannon appear absolutely priceless gaming experience.
The first time in the depths and lighting my first light root then scrolling the blank map and realizing for the first time that there was an entire 2nd map, feeling overwhelmed and over joyed at the same time. Never had a bad cave or well experience and I still have 45 more to go easily my favorite exploration parts of the game But the depths come close.
I have seen some people say there isn’t a vast overall landscape view in the depths that gives them same feeling as BOTW but I would beg to differ, my favorite spot is the Birida lookout chasm in the Gerudo highlands. If you have most of lightroots done it’s an amazing view of the depths and all of the Gerudo desert, and a good spot to farm flower bombs.
I also didn’t know much about the bargainer statues in the depths, the first one I came across was the full on statue in pitch blackness, I thought it was a giant boss as I could just make out the silhouette in the darkness, so I just started climbing, and climbing and climbing it not knowing what was at the top. So many epic climbs in the dark as well, I pretty much played the whole game with very little Zonai tech, don’t know what 70% of the stuff even does as far as machine building.
I really liked how they handled the Yiga clan and all the quests to infiltrate their hideout as well. The only parts that were a miss for me was the Spirit temple, Minera, turned her off immediately and didn’t see her again until the end and the whole Pirate scene thought it could have been done much better especially Lurelin Village rebuilding, hated trying to thread that stupid tree inside the hole to make the houses.
Didn’t think I could get emotional with a video game but the story got to me several times with Hudson’s daughter, Zelda becoming a dragon and then the ending with a somewhat easy fight but very epic conclusion with reaching out and saving her.

Reading these comments makes me eager to finish, I'm at the end luckily, might just do a handful of more shrines and then finish the main game.

Finally beat one of those hand enemies for the first time…

What the fuck?!

Wasn’t expecting a random battle with Phantom Ganon. No volleyball with magic attacks though.

I was going to finish the game tonight as the last major objective is available but....I don't want it to end :(

Changed my mind, will do more sidequests, shrines etc before I'm ready to finish.

Haven't posted here lately... because I'm still so busy playing the game, haha. I'm scared to look at how many hours I've played. Completed two of the Regional Phenomena (Gerudo and Zora) with plans to tackle the Rito one tomorrow, but otherwise I've just been doing a bunch of the Side Adventures/Quests and exploring. I'm, somehow, not bored, which is especially surprising given I made the probably questionable decision to replay BotW before getting the game.

I'm not sure if we're still spoilering discussions of the dungeons, but just in case:

Between the two, I really liked the Gerudo quest and the Lightning Temple especially. Loved the atmosphere of it, and what an incredible theme. I am, however, terrified of undead enemies in general but I also love moths, so the Queen Gibdo leaves me feeling.... conflicted lol. Pretty cool fight and creature design, though. I also liked the bazaar and town defense parts of the buildup.

The Zora quest and the Water Temple... I lean positive, but I just wish there was... more? I liked the vibe of the temple and enjoyed the Sky Island focus, but it feels like I got through it quicker than the Lightning Temple. Fun boss though.

Goron area dungeon thoughts:

I really liked the atmosphere of the Fire Temple. I did a lot of climbing and paragliding that felt like cheating, but also appreciate the fact that it's possible. The boss, again, was too easy, but far more interesting than any of the Blights in Breath of the Wild.

I do not care for the "find these five spots" setup for a dungeon. The open setting does work better in this game than a traditional linear Zelda dungeon would, but ultimately I would prefer something more like the Legacy Dungeons in Elden Ring or Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild, where you have some vague idea of where you need to get and multiple routes to get there, with puzzles & combat sprinkled here and there.

Last edited:
Hahahaha okay, i didn't expect the boss of the Water Temple to be basically a cross-over of Splatoon and Mario Sunshine.

You're a Mucktorok now, you're dead now!

To be honest, without having visited Gerudo and the Gorons yet, i think i like Zora Town in TotK more than Rito Village.
It's just so nice to see everyone remembering Link and kinda fanboying and -girling over him.

I also like how, despite their "elegant" looks, the Zoras are a whole bunch of goofy slackers and sometimes completely unaware of situations (see the side quests with the cave at that distant cape, the side quest with that fisher lady and how they randomly put two parts of Miphas Zora Armor away and forget where they put them).
Talking about "deceiving looks". But you gotta love them.

That is 2/4 regional phenomenas done. Afterwards, it was back to side-questing, shrine-hunting and cave-exploring.

I did that episode (the bigger side quests things) from the Plateau yesterday. The one where you have to find the 4 stone eyes, throw them down into the depths and then transport them back to that giant Poe statue beneath the Abandoned Central Mine where you got Autobuild.

Dunno, but discovering there's some "cave" beneath that mine, which is already in the very definition of "beneath" made me feel anxious again.
Then that huge ass creepy statue thing that wants its eyes back ...
The gamer in me immediately thought "Should i really give the eyes back? This feels like a trap to unleash some big ass demon the Zonai locked away.".

I was both relieved and a bit disappointed that it ended up a "good" entity after all and even gave you a heart or stamina container!
Also, yay, new amor set unlocked. It offered me a Miasma-proof chest armor part.

Afterwards, i decided to stay in the depths for a while to farm bomb flowers and Zonaite and followed the next statue set to what i think will be the next meeting with Kohga.
Kinda funny how along the way of the statues, you mostly find Yiga encounters, while straying off the "intended path" has you walking into monster territories.

This game, man .... this game.

I honestly feel like it’s easier and more convenient to walk, go by horse or warp then to make up a vehicle where the battery dies out or the vehicle just fades out because you’ve been flying too long.

This is the opposite of my experience. Horses are OK in the beginning of the game, but after a little while I haven't really took a horse or climbed anything. Without spoiling any engineering cause the tinkering is fun, my best land vehicle is composed of 3 Zonai parts, goes very fast, and is hella efficient battery-wise.
I can whip it out in a fraction of the time it would take me to warp to a stable. Same for the air, you just gotta find out what's efficient.
And fusing rockets to shields is a great way of eliminating climbing, but there's more than one method using the right Zonai parts.

For whatever reason I hadn't realized the Zonai charges were consumables, I thought they were spent as your battery was, which feels very dumb in hindsight. I don't think there's been an occasion where running out of battery mid-air or whatever would have been an issue, but I may have just not tried some things because I've thought I don't have enough battery for them. Ah well, it's not like I ran out of things to do anyway. I really should read the item descriptions though.

After putting like 130 hour in TOTK, i can say this games is way...WAY better than BOTW.

Better world design and scale

Better mechanics

Better gameplay (thanks to fuse mechanics)

Better story (not great either imho)

BEST Ganondorf of the entire series

BOTW is considered one of the best games ever made and this sequel excels it in every aspect, it's just not from this world,even if reviews doesn't reflect it, which is obvious because it's an iterative sequel.

I'm a true veteran with Zelda games, my first one was ALTTP after receiving an SNES in 1992 Christmas and TOTK is not onlye the best game in the series for me along with OoT, ALTTP and BOTW, but one of the best games i ever played.

I have 35 yo, my job and other circumstances does't allow me to play as much as i can, but this saturday i've played 11 hours (my gf was out with her friends that day i must say XD), this is not normal, i returned to my youth with this game, what an experience.

My only complaint is BOTW itself, it's not like OoT and Majoras Mask case, those games can complement each other, but TOTK being an iterative sequel just destroys BOTW, makes impossible to return to it.

I really hope in the next game, they will improve swimming because in both BotW & TotK, it sucks so bad.

I hoped they'd improve it in TotK but nah, it's exactly as bad as it was before.

Goron area dungeon thoughts:
I think I’m fine with the (dungeon spoilers “activate the five things” format if it wasn’t what you did in every dungeon. A Hyrule Castle-esque layout would have worked well for Stormwind Ark in my opinion. Well I guess technically one of the temples I’ve finished didn’t do that. So I guess I wish there was more like that kinda thing.

Great Plateau side quests
That was a fantastic side quest. I was also expecting to have to face something sinister, too, but now I think it’s more of a “neutral” entity.

And fusing rockets to shields is a great way of eliminating climbing
Can confirm, rocket-shields are great for climbing up those sheer cliff faces

i can, but this saturday i've played 11 hours
It’s crazy how much time TotK can sap away from you. Really a magical game.

After 95h I am finally ready to put the game down for the time being. I've done pretty much everything I set out to do except for some boss fights and unique equipment which I'm gonna do over the coming months when I periodically come back to it. I've already shared most of my thoughts in this and the spoiler thread so I don't really have much to add right now but yeah, this has become easily one of my favourite games of all time. Now the painful wait for DLC or the next one begins.

Finally finished the 4 main dungeons. My ranking goes:
  1. Gerudo: Amazing all around and really close to a classic Zelda dungeon. It really made me understand how the whole dungeon is laid out and thanks to having to take Riku everywhere you can't just cheese it by climbing. Bonus points for the cool boss and scary enemies and how they're tied to the main Gerudo quest. In the other quests the main bosses are just there, but in this one it's much more closely related to the special area enemies.
  2. Goron: This one also requires you to understand the layout, but can be cheesed much more easily and it being so open made it lack a bit of the "dungeon-y" feeling the Gerudo one has.
  3. Rito: Really cool setting and the best boss fight of them all, but the dungeon's too simple.
  4. Zora: Simplest dungeon of them all, it almost felt like 4-5 disconnected puzzles and a boss fight.
I'm taking into account mostly the dungeon+boss, if you consider all the leading part to each temple I think they're all really good.

I then went to Hyrule Castle and oh boy, this is amazing! At times it felt Dark Souls-y with the twisted, multi-level layout, specially when you start using Ascension, climbing waterfalls, or reconstructing broken bridges with Recall. This is completely different from a classic dungeon and absolutely stellar. I hope that next Zeldas have a mix of more classical and open dungeons like this one.

Finished the Hebra Labyrinth and damn, what a great section. I thought the labyrinths were a bit underwhelming in BotW but here it's really well executed all the way up to the amazing and unexpected reward.

Finally hit that 100 hour mark! Right now, Rito and Goron events done, 98 shrines, 71 lightbulbs, 362 koroks and ~6 and a half regions yet to explore, I guess this is taking me almost the entire June as well...

Finished the Hebra Labyrinth and damn, what a great section
(labyrinth spoilers) The sky labyrinth was freaking cool.

yeah, this has become easily one of my favourite games of all time
I’m not even done yet and it already is.

Finally in Akkala again and already in love with its autumnal atmosphere again. First I gotta make a beeline for that isolated chasm entrance though…

Just under 100 hours, according to my Switch. I think I have officially had my fill for a little while! I’ve got tons of stuff left to do. I’m not a completionist by any stretch, so I doubt I’ll get to all of it, but it makes me happy to know I can keep returning to this extremely good game for months to come and have lots of new stuff to tackle.

I'm not often one to make memes disparaging particular discourses, but this is exactly how frustrating the Korok Seed discourse feels to me:

korokseeds.jpg

Just did Hyrule Castle:

It doesn't hurt things TOO much, but it really feels like the game doesn't expect you to finish the memories very early on, huh? It's kind of jarring for nobody to know that Zelda is Ganondorf's puppet and fake, or where the real Zelda actually is, etc., even if you've already done all the memories and have the master sword. Curse Link's inability to talk!

As for Hyrule Castle itself: It was a cool location to go through, basically a combat gauntlet. Similar to Hyrule Castle in something like Link to the Past. That said it was fairly short and not much of a dungeon, although I guess it wasn't meant to be. Also felt a bit oddly inconsequential to the overall game and plot in the long run, given how prominent and looming it is in the sky the entire game. I was really kind of expecting to actually run into Ganondorf in person there.

64 hours hit over the weekend now -- really curious on how the story and everything is going to wrap up, I stopped mid-way through the
Construct Factory
last night, having fun in there making some zany contraptions. Thinking I'm gonna push to finish the story stuff this week / upcoming weekend, I've done over 70 shrines so have lots of hearts nad have done some good exploring recently, saving my good weapons. I'm also saving every diamond I find for fusing weapons in the eventual final section / boss fights. Just feels like time to push to the story-end, then I can continue just bombing around having fun.

Finished the Hebra Labyrinth and damn, what a great section. I thought the labyrinths were a bit underwhelming in BotW but here it's really well executed all the way up to the amazing and unexpected reward.

They're awesome, I just finished one in Akkala.

It's so satisfying reaching the sky labyrinths. After Horizon, God of War and so many other games tell you how to solve puzzles 8 seconds in, Nintendo are like... you figure out how to get around the sky :coffee:

unlike another Zonai part that does
Oh man I abuse the hell out of those, too. I even plop them on my shields!

Question about weapons (weapon spoilers I guess): Found some kit that are clear references to Wind Waker, I’m guessing they break. Is there any way to get them again? I haven’t found a way to store weapons yet, because Zelda TOOK LINK’S HOUSE.

Oh man I abuse the hell out of those, too. I even plop them on my shields!

Question about weapons (weapon spoilers I guess): Found some kit that are clear references to Wind Waker, I’m guessing they break. Is there any way to get them again? I haven’t found a way to store weapons yet, because Zelda TOOK LINK’S HOUSE.
Every unique weapon and equipment you find you can get again. I saw earlier that you did the Great Plateau sidequest so you can already do that.

Back
Top Bottom