• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

You can choose to discover the geoglyphs in the right order if you ask Impa about them.
She'll always hint you at the next one so you don't risk to find a late one early.
There’s that plus the room in the forgotten temple has them in a particular order as well.

I would love to know the order which most people unlock them. Maybe people habitually look for an order?

I’m just remembering BOTW where the progression guides you right to the second to last memory at the Lanayru Promenade lol.

So, before Zelda and Link went down beneath Hyrule Castle, the Gloom was just Oddish but nothing that crazy. Eventually they had to investigate the source of the Gloom, then the upheaval happened, and fissures emerged spewing Vile Plumes of Gloom.

Last edited:
So, before Zelda and Link went down beneath Hyrule Castle, the Gloom was just Odd-ish but nothing that crazy. Eventually they had to investigate the source of the Gloom, then the upheaval happened, and fissures emerged spewing Vile Plumes of Gloom.
giphy.gif

Finally gonna have enough money to buy this game in two weeks.

I had to delay playing this game for so long god damn.

So now that the dust has settled, we can all agree that

Caves >>> Sky Islands >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Depths

The dust has obviously not settled yet, please use spoiler tags for anything spicy, folks
Nah, depths are way better for me. Just due to how unsettling and alien they are.

I get why they are going with the memory-system in these games, presenting a linear narrative that is guided by the writers hands is pretty hard in a borderless open-world game. But for the next 3D Zelda, they gotta find a more elegant way to tell the story. I don't think I'll be able to stomach memories for a third time.
I didn't say I have an issue with memories/flashbacks. They can keep the story that way if they want. But why wouldn't they just unlock in a set order regardless of which geoglyph you go to. I do understand your preference though

I didn't say I have an issue with memories/flashbacks. They can keep the story that way if they want. But why wouldn't they just unlock in a set order regardless of which geoglyph you go to. I do understand your preference though
The easiest fix would have been to just have the geoglyphs appear in order as you unlock them. Then you wouldn't have the issue of the shape not matching the memory. It's such a weird oversight but the game has surprisingly many of those.

I just drained 80% of Swoled battery in one sitting and my neck hurts. Finally got master sword after 45 hours.
I still can't believe that I'm playing the most technically advanced game ever made one 6 years old tablet.

Just finished the Water Temple.

I dunno how the boss fight is supposed to be…

…BECAUSE I DESTROYED AND BULLIED MUCTOROK WITH MY HUGE SPRINKLER ROBOT SPEWING WATER ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Oh yeah, I put a big wheel on a homing cart, then put a stabilizer for elevation and stability, then a put a flipped cart, and 4 hydrants - two on each end of the cart. Oh and a battery on top for a good measure.

Muctorok wanted to be a Mario Sunshine boss? Well it met my fucking FLUDD 9000!

I admit I got an idea of a spinning sprinkler from a yt thumbnail, but this particular design and the decision to make it a drone was something I settled upon myself.

You know how satisfying it was to watch my creation trivialize a boss? IT WAS VERY SATISFYING!

The easiest fix would have been to just have the geoglyphs appear in order as you unlock them. Then you wouldn't have the issue of the shape not matching the memory. It's such a weird oversight but the game has surprisingly many of those.
I definitely don't think it's an oversight—they're just legitimately okay with you unlocking them in any order! I think it's a cool choice (as it was in BOTW, but I think the story in the memories is much more interesting and worth seeing in this game) but I do agree that it will ultimately not be the most interesting way to find out the story for most players. but even the "intended" path they gently guide you down (imo needlessly) spells out the biggest plot point very, very early

if anything, maybe it would've been cool if they all show up at once, but not until you've completed a dungeon or two, or something like that

my only real complaint is that they didn't find some other way to introduce the (big story spoilers) draconfication concept. if they'd woven that in more subtly somewhere else, I think the nonlinearity would've been perfect and it would've actually all come together in that final memory

I definitely don't think it's an oversight—they're just legitimately okay with you unlocking them in any order! I think it's a cool choice (as it was in BOTW, but I think the story in the memories is much more interesting and worth seeing in this game) but I do agree that it will ultimately not be the most interesting way to find out the story for most players. but even the "intended" path they gently guide you down (imo needlessly) spells out the biggest plot point very, very early

if anything, maybe it would've been cool if they all show up at once, but not until you've completed a dungeon or two, or something like that

my only real complaint is that they didn't find some other way to introduce the (big story spoilers) draconfication concept. if they'd woven that in more subtly somewhere else, I think the nonlinearity would've been perfect and it would've actually all come together in that final memory
It's less about the reveal/"twist" and more about how the story in the memories is told. Unlike the memories in BotW, where unlocking them out of order is supposed to convey the feeling of Link remembering, the tears in TotK are clearly meant to be experienced in a linear fashion. It serves no purpose narratively to allow the player to discover the story out of order.

The dust has obviously not settled yet, please use spoiler tags for anything spicy, folks
Hyrule>Depths>Caves>Sky Islands

Hyrule>Depths>Caves>Sky Islands
This, but I'd put caves ever so slightly above the depths. Caves are the only thing I'm not ever so slightly underwhelmed with; I mean, yeah, the visual variety could've been better, but the sheer amount and variety in terms of level design is astounding. Hyrule is the best, but with most of the towns visited I wished for more substantial changes and brand new things in these key areas so far.

The depths are cool, but the variety is lacking and there's too little intrinsic value in exploring it. There's lots of neat things there, but I never enjoy being there beyond all the gamey stuff; it's never "wow, what a view", "wow, that's interesting" or "wow, I met this NPC that said this funny thing" like in Hyrule ground level. You'd expect the sky islands to be full of those moments, and while there are a few, those are the most gamey of all. Underwhelming.

Despite all this, I love the game, don't think I've racked up the hours quite this fast ever before. The duality of TotK.

This, but I'd put caves ever so slightly above the depths. Caves are the only thing I'm not ever so slightly underwhelmed with; I mean, yeah, the visual variety could've been better, but the sheer amount and variety in terms of level design is astounding. Hyrule is the best, but with most of the towns visited I wished for more substantial changes and brand new things in these key areas so far.

The depths are cool, but the variety is lacking and there's too little intrinsic value in exploring it. There's lots of neat things there, but I never enjoy being there beyond all the gamey stuff; it's never "wow, what a view", "wow, that's interesting" or "wow, I met this NPC that said this funny thing" like in Hyrule ground level. You'd expect the sky islands to be full of those moments, and while there are a few, those are the most gamey of all. Underwhelming.

Despite all this, I love the game, don't think I've racked up the hours quite this fast ever before. The duality of TotK.
Oh no worries, I actually really like caves (and sky islands for that matter)

By the jove...I have hardly explored Gerudo region and I have found 4 caves and they have been straight up banger after banger. Like, these caves are seriously good, full of traps, small jump scares and rewards. Genuinely feel like mini dungeons.

Also fell from a sky island after discovering
King Gleeok!? I haven't killed a normal Gleeok let alone a freaking King lol. Didn't help that I had only 4 arrows too.

I noped out lol.

This game is genuinely bliss.

Don't mind me, going to work with TotK on my miiind

That's about their order for me, but I did end up loving the Depths more than I thought I would.

That video was hilarious haha cannot stop laughing at that thing being unceremoniously plopped down into a whirlpool

Wow, just discovered
Starview Island, massive mirror puzzles with couple rewards. I need more of this lol.
Loved those islands. Really gives you the feeling of "what the hell is that?!" and once you get there you get treated to cool puzzles and rewards.

So, before Zelda and Link went down beneath Hyrule Castle, the Gloom was just Oddish but nothing that crazy. Eventually they had to investigate the source of the Gloom, then the upheaval happened, and fissures emerged spewing Vile Plumes of Gloom
giphy.gif

How do you all feel about this mini boss?

Gloom Spawn/Phantom Ganon

They kind of irritate me because it takes too many resources for me to beat the first phase. I can handle them, but I'm usually inclined to go somewhere else whenever I see them now.

They kind of irritate me because it takes too many resources for me to beat the first phase. I can handle them, but I'm usually inclined to go somewhere else whenever I see them now.
I only ever fought them twice, but the first phase is pretty easy if you can get enough height and distance to bullet time them and just use like 5-7 bomb arrows. That's the only way I've beaten the first phase.

pretty good drops

I still run the moment I see them and I love the way the atmosphere shifts with the clouds having that time lapse effect

every now and then I fight it but often I climb just out of reach and wait for it to disappear so I can grab the dark clumps lol

As a backtracking guy I thought I'd like revisiting this hyrule version to see what changed more. For some reason I didn't enjoyed at all. Also I thought I would remind more about the npcs to care about what changed but my memory was really blurry about them.
Depths was really cool at first but at some point I got bored,
Sky is my huge disappointment, I thought we would meed the Zonai and have some kind of city, like the wind village from minish cap.
So caves and some underground areas(above depths, like the zora themed one) were my favorite.

imo caves > depths > hyrule > sky islands

In the end people worried we'd get no new village ended up being right. Even though I wasn't excited about the game I didn't believe that this would be the case.

Maybe the mii character design doesn't help but my memory is so blurry about BOTW characters that even after interacting with them and their child for a couple of times in gerudo town just today I realized they might be the couple of the lover's pond.

Last edited:
Found a well in central Hyrule that leads to a cave so deep down I thought it was the depths! Turns out it’s totally pitch black down there too so it is like the Depths kind of. Couldn’t figure out how to cross the water though (I saw wood planks but no gizmo) so I just fused my sword with some ice and made ice platforms. Damn this skill is kinda OP, especially since it doesn’t seem to affect durability.

Finished the Eldin quest and the initial Lurelin Village quest.

Marbled Gohma was kind of annoying, but not really difficult. I only got hit a couple of times, but lining up Yunobo to hit it when it was on the ceiling was a bit of a pain. Still, it's a good twist on a series staple.

Lurelin Village wasn't too bad, I'm glad I did a few monster-control missions before coming here. Muddle Buds are great for drawing enemies nearer to each other, which helps with making the most out of Bomb arrows.

Flush with power, I thought it might be fun to blow up an enemy camp nearby, but surprise! The camp was actually a Battle Talus! Using Ascend to climb through the Talus felt a little cheesy, but it's been like six years since I last fought a Talus at all, so I'm out of practice. The loot chest gave me my tenth topaz, though, and I got some decent cash from offloading topaz and rubies to Ramella.

Whats going on with the malice hands of the death? At the begining of the game I find alot of them but now after several hours of playing I havent see any of them, also what happened to the Lynels? I saw just one in the deeps.

I agree caves are great but they do lose a lot of their sparkle when you stop getting rewards from Koltin.

I don't have a favorite new part, my favorite is how the gameplay loop is so varied between all the different activities that you never get bored because you never spend too much time doing the same thing.

I'm sitting at 150 shrines. I'm pretty sure that the last two are
in the Faron Sky in the storm. I entered the area but the visibility is next to nothing. Is it part of the story and I should hold off? Or am I supposed to push through without seeing anything.

I'm approaching the late-game at this point (I have all of the Depths mapped out and a little over 100 shrines finished) and I genuinely believe that the Depths are the single most disappointing thing in a video game I've played in recent memory. I really wish I loved it, but I just find it immensely boring to explore for a wide variety of reasons that I plan to expand on when I finally finish the game.

In general I don't love the Sky Islands either... Maybe if more of them were like the tutorial section I would feel differently.

When going into the cave of the emergency shelter, there is a gate/door below blocked with blue rocks and water in front. There is also a huge bone enemy (boko reaper). How to open it? Bombs doesnt work.

When going into the cave of the emergency shelter, there is a gate/door below blocked with blue rocks and water in front. There is also a huge bone enemy (boko reaper). How to open it? Bombs doesnt work.
(Mechanics answer) Those take more than one bomb.

I found this video about zonai devices mythbusting really interesting. Especially about how one rocket will launch you at the same height as more. Kinda saved me from wasting rockets while experimenting.

Depths > Surface > Caves > Sky Islands for me so far (50 hours in), but I'm enjoying them all

With all the pre-launch "$70 DLC" complaints about the map being the same and all that, I find it funny that the overworld changes are the most significant ones. The Depths and the sky islands could technically have worked as BotW DLC, but the overworld has changed so much it wouldn't really work.

I will also repeat something I said before getting my hands on the game: the idea of revisiting the same world and characters with some time passing between is, to me, an interesting setup for a sequel. There's the same kind of feeling as returning to an old home town and checking the new buildings, how your old school looks now, and all that. Of course there need to be some substantial changes to make this interesting, but in TotK there definitely are.

Just finished the game last night. 70-75 hours in the end with plenty of things skipped along the way, neatly finished with an entire top row of hearts and a full extra stamina wheel. As someone who really, really likes BotW and was extremely excited for TotK I am happy to say that this game was worth the very long wait indeed. No specific spoilers but I think it's a fantastic sequel, it improves things in many ways, the player experimentation is much better, the variety of enemies/quests/environments are much better, the game is much vaster whilst somehow managing to be even more dense and rich with things to do wherever I went, the 'dungeons' are better, the boss fights are better (especially the final boss) and the narrative moments hit harder despite the fact that I wouldn't say the game has a great story necessarily.

It has its flaws of course. The menu usage is still a pain and the shrines and dungeons could've stood to be a higher quality overall. I never at all got into the vehicle/device building as much as some definitely have/will and I do think you end up missing out by not being into that buuuuuut the game is still wonderful, it absolutely is not the case as the 99% of comparisons the game got to Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts that this is the main reason to buy/play this game if you already played BotW.

The main 'flaw' though is that the game really is BotW2. Which for me is definitely a good thing. It won't be for some though which I get, and despite being absolutely amazing I do hope that the next Zelda game has like new music when you enter a cold climate you know.

So yeah 10/10 despite those flaws, the game is a technical marvel even though there's the odd frame rate drop and such.

Loved my time with the game so far but I have been disappointed with a couple of things.

Note - I’ve played for 65 hours and have done 3 of the 4 temples.

- The sky islands.

I was expecting much more to this element of the game. I feel like you could almost play through the whole game and not use the sky apart from where you have to in order to get to the temples.

I loved the beginning of the game and that first island made me think it was just a taster of what was to come - That this would be one of the smaller locations before progressing to bigger ones later on but as far as exploration goes, the sky seems to peak at that early stage.

- Vehicle creation.

I honestly feel like it’s easier and more convenient to walk, go by horse or warp then to make up a vehicle where the battery dies out or the vehicle just fades out because you’ve been flying too long.

The use of the creation tool is brilliant in the shrines but there have barely been any occasions where I’ve thought ‘I’ve got to make something to progress here’ during my exploration.

- The depths

I’m on the fence about the depths to be honest. I love the feeling of the unknown and exploring somewhere new but I feel like there’s not enough reason to be down there unless you’re following the statues on a side adventure. I was hoping for a dark world style format where you’d have to explore the depths to make it to certain areas of the map above which had been cut off on land. For me the best use of the depths (so far) was going into
death mountain and then realising you’d gone so deep you’d ended up in the depths and that’s where the fire temple was.

Overall, I’m still loving the game. I’ve been really happy with the temples and bosses and I think it’s already my third most played Switch game behind BotW and Mario Maker 2. I’ve actually been consumed with it at times to the point that it’s impacted my work!

You can break blue rocks with blunt weaponry made from blue or stronger enemy parts

I'm sitting at 150 shrines. I'm pretty sure that the last two are
in the Faron Sky in the storm. I entered the area but the visibility is next to nothing. Is it part of the story and I should hold off? Or am I supposed to push through without seeing anything.
part of the story but you can technically make it through

I've been mainly playing on the surface so I'm not ready to fully judge the sky islands and the depths, but caves are really, really awesome in this game. What surprises me the most is just how varied they are in terms of layout and level design. Each one feels hand crafted, which is amazing. I also like how their aesthetic is based on whatever region they're in.

Finally finished with work and ready to play! This time I swear I will finish the Zora storyline.

What surprises me the most is just how varied they are in terms of layout and level design.
Yeah going into caves is so fun because you can find anything from a cozy little hideaway to a sprawling maze of tunnels. Easily the best addition to the map in my opinion.

I agree caves are great but they do lose a lot of their sparkle when you stop getting rewards from Koltin.

I don't have a favorite new part, my favorite is how the gameplay loop is so varied between all the different activities that you never get bored because you never spend too much time doing the same thing.
I've never seen the Bubbul gems as the main reward of the caves (and neither does Nintendo I think despite the check mark you get once you collect them).
I think the main attraction are other rewards like gem depots, treasures, armour and other unique gear (mostly in Misko's Caves), lore bits and just a generally good time thanks to the cool level designs or unique challenges of alot of them.
I'm approaching the late-game at this point (I have all of the Depths mapped out and a little over 100 shrines finished) and I genuinely believe that the Depths are the single most disappointing thing in a video game I've played in recent memory. I really wish I loved it, but I just find it immensely boring to explore for a wide variety of reasons that I plan to expand on when I finally finish the game.

In general I don't love the Sky Islands either... Maybe if more of them were like the tutorial section I would feel differently.
While they are my least favorite of the big layers of Hyrule, I wouldn't say that they disappointed me in a big way, mostly because I never expected them to do this dark parallel Hyrule to begin with. But yeah, the depths were amazing in the first few hours you explore them, but as more time you spent down there, the cracks start to show big time. In the end, my favorite part of the Depths were...
...the fights against Master Kohga. They were extremely humorous and creative. Especially the third fight against him, where you battled him on the big lake via speed boats. Legit the best boss battle in the game lol

I've been mainly playing on the surface so I'm not ready to fully judge the sky islands and the depths, but caves are really, really awesome in this game. What surprises me the most is just how varied they are in terms of layout and level design. Each one feels hand crafted, which is amazing. I also like how their aesthetic is based on whatever region they're in.
Fully agree. Also, they also varied in terms of visuals, which is why I don't get how some say that they were same-y in terms of design themes.
The way they look definitely differ depending on the region (Gerudo, Eldin, Hebra, Lanayru, Faron, Central Hyrule), then some of them feature destinct ruins, statues and stone work, either associated with Hylians or Zonai, etc.

Last edited:
After all this caving what's crazy to me is thinking back to BOTW which I believe only had a single cave beneath Hyrule castle.

For all BOTW brought to the table it sure was skimpy in some areas.

It’s easy to play through TOTK and point at the things it does better than BOTW, but caves are the one thing I’m personally bewildered didn’t make it into BOTW, especially since it was meant to recapture the spirit of the NES Zelda. It’s an amazing addition and long overdue.

Back
Top Bottom