• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Imagine being Zelda. Imagine
sacrificing yourself to become an immortal dragon to rejuvenate Master Sword
while Link tries to make a shield surf by fusing a chunk of frozen meat.
That entire sequence stopped me in my tracks. Beautiful stuff.

Brazilian Zelda fans putting up statues to Hylia in São Paulo
Huge concrete ones too, that’s incredible.

So I said I was gonna do the Zora storyline but after what was supposed to be a quick detour in Lookout Landing, I saw a shiny light in the distance, took to the skies and followed it, and uhh I wound up (main quest spoilers) riding the Light Dragon (you can RIDE the dragons now) and getting the Master Sword. That was really, really cool. Way better than its BotW counterpart.

Hmm, i'm trying to figure out if it would be bad if i would storm into my hometown's church and start glueing random shit together...
Do it for Hylia

Huge concrete ones too, that’s incredible.

So I said I was gonna do the Zora storyline but after what was supposed to be a quick detour in Lookout Landing, I saw a shiny light in the distance, took to the skies and followed it, and uhh I wound up (main quest spoilers) riding the Light Dragon (you can RIDE the dragons now) and getting the Master Sword. That was really, really cool. Way better than its BotW counterpart.

Do it for Hylia

Alright, i'll do it.

And when they drag me out, i will yell: "BUT IT WAS THE INTENDED SOLUTION!"

So last night I…

Finished the Construct Factory, unlocked Mineru, and consequentially the last 2 memories. Rauru talking about Link stopping Ganondorf in the future as the main theme plays gave me fucking CHILLS dude. The way both their eyes go dark, this game is doing things with its vibe and I’m very into it.

Related to the spoiler above, I also feel like some agency is robbed from bigger story moments due to the game’s non-linearity.

I finished the memories pretty early so I had already known Zelda turns into the dragon, the game basically screams at you from the very beginning that Rauru sacrificed himself and sealed Ganondorf, etc. the last two memories Mineru gives you show the cast in much more dire straits than just hearing about it through exposition after the 4 themed dungeons, and it’s here where the non-linearity works actively against the story. As silly as Zelda sealing herself away for 1000 years in Skyward Sword feels now, it happened when the writing decided it would be most impactful and it shows there is merit to these games arranging moments for you to find in a coordinated order, and maybe total and complete freedom is better reigned in, even a little bit.

TOTK’s story on paper is way stronger than BOTW’s (and told front to back, there are some bold liberties being taken with these characters and I love it), but they both have the same issue where neither game is designed around the story being experienced linearly, so they have to account for you missing certain details, those details usually getting lightly peppered into something else. I wonder if there’s an even better balance to strike, like geoglyphs appear one at a time when the story is ready for you to see them. That way you don’t actually learn Zelda is the Light Dragon until the story is about ready to come full circle, and you only pull the Master Sword right before the fight against Ganondorf.

You can choose to discover the geoglyphs in the right order if you ask Impa about them.
She'll always hint you at the next one so you don't risk to find a late one early.

Think about where a gate into the plateau would be located and which direction it would be facing, and how a regular visitor from the outside would enter the plateau using said gate/door in ancient times
I actually figured out where it was immediately after making this post. That gate was where I came into the Plateau, and the Poe statue blended so well into the ground I didn't notice it. Thank you regardless though!

The more I read about people’s experiences, the more I feel lucky to have experienced everything in the order I did. (which I’m fairly certain is the chronological one)

Intro - regional phenomena - Hyrule Castle - Mineru - Deku Tree - Master Sword - memories - finale.

I imagine that my experience would’ve lessened somewhat, had this not happen.

Totk just received a 60 from Slant Magazine. If people already got mad with Jimquisition.

I just can't even care about these really. Any person or outlet that gives it such a score (or anything under a 9, really) is so far disconnected from my taste in games and what I value in a game that their opinion on it or any future game released is completely irrelevant (to me).

Speaking of the Great Fairies, what is yall's opinion on BOTW/TOTK's interpretation of them?
I like them a lot. Their dialogues are quite humorous (like when one of the them suggested that they should join Link as a co-adventurer) + it's cool that they come in different skin colors. Also plus points for depicting them in a "voluptuous" manner instead of having skinny Barbie-esque physiques.
The different armour-upgrade animations are also funny, though the last one goes a bit too...far tbh.

But with so many elements in the Hero of the Wild saga, I'm ready to move on and see new interpretations of the classic Zelda tropes.

I like them a lot. Their dialogues are quite humorous (like when one of the them suggested that they should join Link as a co-adventurer) + it's cool that they come in different skin colors. Also plus points for depicting them in a "voluptuous" manner instead of having skinny Barbie-esque physiques.
The different armour-upgrade animations are also funny, though the last one goes a bit too...far tbh.

But with so many elements in the Hero of the Wild saga, I'm ready to move on and see new interpretations of the classic Zelda tropes.
Isn't there a "horse god" in these games? I still haven't encountered he/she.

Minor item spoiler: They’re basically fast travel points you can set up anywhere. You get them via a sidequest with Robbie.
That’s what they sounded like! How am I almost 100 hours into this game and just hearing about the existence of these things now?

If we do get a DLC that just adds stuff to the base game, I'd like them to dot NPCs around the map in a similar way to Addison, except it's a Crazy Taxi style mission where you have to deliver them to a destination within a time-limit without jostling them too much. The faster you do it the better the payout!

the implications of one of the mane styles being called "French-braided" are just too much to wrap my head around
Clearly the next 3D Zelda will be set in France

That’s what they sounded like! How am I almost 100 hours into this game and just hearing about the existence of these things now?
To be fair it’s easy to miss if you don’t check in with Lookout Landing every now and then.

Quoted by: ze_
I just can't even care about these really. Any person or outlet that gives it such a score (or anything under a 9, really) is so far disconnected from my taste in games and what I value in a game that their opinion on it or any future game released is completely irrelevant (to me).
I take this as good oportunities to identify reviewers that I'm not going to pay any attention to in the future, like GameSpot for their atrocious review of Tropical Freeze or Sterling's 7 to BotW. I just can't trust anything either of them reviews after those reviews.

On the topic of geoglyphs. I don't know why they still let you get them out of order. Okay sure Impa can hint to the next one, but why wouldn't the memories just unlock in order regardless of which geoglyph you go to. I understand that the memory contents relate to the geoglyph image, but what exactly does that add? I actually think the giant geoglyphs are worse than the painting system in the first game; they are too easy to find now. So I'd rather they weren't giant images anyway

If you missed that, you probably missed a couple of other important Purah Pad upgrades. Robbie will give them to you.

me: hmm, I'm not sure how to progress in the Fire Temple. I shall look up a guide to see what the intended solution is
guide: to reach this gong, simply build an extremely long bridge across this gap. like, really really long, to the point that the framerate starts tanking
me: ah! of course! the guide writer is as dumb as I am! instead of doing that, I'm gonna climb this structure and use Ascend through decorative ridges to get to where I need to be

Whoa

Actually, do I even really need to hide
Gleeoks
anymore? They’re in the trailer and even the OP.

No, I don’t think they’ve ever been spoiler-worthy honestly.

Absolutely insane video though, god damn. I gotta know what happens after that.

Okay, I'm very curious about something.
So left to Loshlo Harbor, there is a Misko Cave that is inaccessible unless you whistle in front of it. Did anyone solve this puzzle without getting the tip from the treasure brothers?

On the topic of geoglyphs. I don't know why they still let you get them out of order. Okay sure Impa can hint to the next one, but why wouldn't the memories just unlock in order regardless of which geoglyph you go to. I understand that the memory contents relate to the geoglyph image, but what exactly does that add? I actually think the giant geoglyphs are worse than the painting system in the first game; they are too easy to find now. So I'd rather they weren't giant images anyway
I get why they are going with the memory-system in these games, presenting a linear narrative that is guided by the writers hands is pretty hard in a borderless open-world game. But for the next 3D Zelda, they gotta find a more elegant way to tell the story. I don't think I'll be able to stomach memories for a third time.

Hahaha what do you mean, the dungeon like climb to the top of the sky island ruins above Zora Town isn't the Water Temple?
It is its own part? Hahaha ... i can't remember the last time it took me three days of (sadly not much) playtime to finish a Zelda dungeon and for the sake of it i include the way up to it to that because it felt dungeon-like to me.

Ok to be fair, i got stuck for a while by my own dumbdumb. I couldn't figure out how to get through that flamethrower barrier in the U1 of the temple ... took me way to long to understand "Wait a moment ... Sidon gives me a water bubble shield! Maybe i can get through the flames that way?".

I've read it, and i gotta repeat my thought that the reviewer didn't actually play the game for more than a couple of hours (single digit) and just called it a day.
The only way for someone to come up with the opinion that this is just "more BotW" is if one didn't play the game.

It's fine if a reviewer didn't like it as long as they went in with an open mind and actually played it long enough to form a fundamented opinion, but the other way ... nah. If you already know you're not going to like it, give it to some other reviewer and just don't bother.
That… makes way more sense, lol. I got around the fire barrier by ascending from below in a weird spot.

Agreed. The geoglyphs are cool from a “view them from way up in the sky, then skydive onto them” perspective but they’re way too easy to find. I loved how the memories in BOTW ranged from pretty easy to locate to rather difficult, so unlocking the final memory really took some doing. Hunting for the picture locations was one of my favorite things about that game.

How does the game decide when and where Gloom Hands spawn?

Feel like I'm running into them more and more frequently and often just in odd spots while exploring. I'm on the road to Zora's Domain and one has just come screaming out the woods at me.

Whoa

Actually, do I even really need to hide
Gleeoks
anymore? They’re in the trailer and even the OP.

Jeez, really damn cool but such a waste of valuable materials.
How does the game decide when and where Gloom Hands spawn?

Feel like I'm running into them more and more frequently and often just in odd spots while exploring. I'm on the road to Zora's Domain and one has just come screaming out the woods at me.
They appear in defined, repeatable spots I believe. You're just getting unlucky I suppose!

Wow, just discovered
Starview Island, massive mirror puzzles with couple rewards. I need more of this lol.
Welp, ask and you shall receive because I just discovered another
Mirror puzzle island called Lightcast Island lol.

Welp, ask and you shall receive because I just discovered another
Mirror puzzle island called Lighthouse Island lol.
At times I found the sky islands quite disappointing. And then there were moments like this.

FUCK

God DAMMIT Twitter

I just got spoiled that
Zelda turns into a Dragon????!?!?!?
Is the story just ruined now or is there still stuff there to dwell on? Guess that in itself is a spoiler but idk. Just hate it :(

FUCK

God DAMMIT Twitter

I just got spoiled that
Is the story just ruined now or is there still stuff there to dwell on? Guess that in itself is a spoiler but idk. Just hate it :(
It depends a little on how far you are but this particular plot point is fairly blatantly telegraphed in the game and it's not played as this huge twist or anything.

I prefer how BOTW handled memories.

• Doing memories out of a intended order wasn't a problem to the narrative.
  • I needed to visit the location before being able to recognize it. So I did the quest slowly while progressing through the game. Now they give you a map with all of them, which encourages rushing. Even without a map I agree they are too big and end up being obvious.

FUCK

God DAMMIT Twitter

I just got spoiled that
One of the first memories I watched (and without too much context) foreshadowed this. So I kind of felt spoiled too.

It depends a little on how far you are but this particular plot point is fairly blatantly telegraphed in the game and it's not played as this huge twist or anything.
Now that you mention it... the third memory does quite explicitly state that "oh yeah, Zelda can totally turn herself into a Dragon." Just setting up that massive Chekhov's Gun, and I guess it's not a surprise that it gets fired.

Guess I really need to start finishing this game and see how this all turns out.

FUCK

God DAMMIT Twitter

I just got spoiled that
I did all the memories fairly early so spent most of the game knowing this. Honestly while I’d say it’s the biggest twist in the game, seeing the actual lead up and result will still be impactful on their own when you get there.

Now that you mention it... the third memory does quite explicitly state that "oh yeah, Zelda can totally turn herself into a Dragon." Just setting up that massive Chekhov's Gun, and I guess it's not a surprise that it gets fired.

Guess I really need to start finishing this game and see how this all turns out.
I think seeing everything related to this particular reveal play out in the game is more impactful than the reveal itself but of course YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom