• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Finally made myself turn it off. It's about 4:39 in the morning and now I need to get a little sleep for work. What a game. I'm blown away y'all. Gonna be one hell of a ride! Good night all.

Just from the start area you can see so many sky islands, the amount is staggering. I'm wondering all the time if it's even possible to see everything in this game, i's gonna take me months, for sure.

in the real world , its all about safety and i got no rupee to pay for its insurance :ROFLMAO:

Look for that waterfall. There is a small spot rock trough the ice
What the hell, I missed that. I brute forced the slopes with a makeshit ramp made of six logs.

I am completely shocked by the level design of the tutorial area. I figured that some parts of the game might have a bit more linearity then BotW, but this is like a region in Skyward Sword.

I can imagine that this game will become very controversial among newer BotW fans who love the freedom of that game, but as a classic Zelda fan I am incredibly happy.
And even though it’s linear-ish it’s still possible to find alternative ways to solve things. There’s some stuff where I obviously had to use Ascend but I was able to climb places by wacky Ultrahand contraptions.

Also:
Zonai gacha is a brilliant idea.

CE will arrive later today, got some extra sleep in just in case... 😬

Also Skyward Sword intricate level designs? Interesting!

Gonna be weird, skipping the opening cutscene to change the voice language and then restarting xD

Lot of fun so far. Ultrahand especially.

But god damn is this a reminder that we're playing a current gen game stuck on a 2 generation behind console.

I will see you guys when the next Nintendo Direct gets shown. Gonna evade the internet as much as possible because of this game. It has been a fun ride, especially thanks to this community. (y)

See you guys soon, take care, and enjoy this masterpiece!

There is a reason this game took so many years to release, and why it got such massive delays. Nintendo has always allowed Zelda to keep cooking until it's "perfect".
I work in corporate software and it takes us weeks to get rid of simple connectivity bugs or even little bugs on the company login page, lol.

Nintendo casually threw in a rewind, clipping, and object-fusing mechanic on top of one of the most complex physics-based open-world sandboxes and gaming.

I have yet to notice a bug. Lol. Every year of development shows in the polish and just the general makeup of the game. It's a technical achievement and it was all worth it.

People will focus on the limitations of the Switch but also conveniently ignore what's going on under the hood with this game. It punches above its weight constantly. Did we already mention that shrines and fast travel are the ONLY load screens? Holy help
Considering Nintendo is all about debugging and QA before their games hit the shelves, it helps. Plus, it seems their teams just get the time to fully develop their titles.
For sure, I just wish this was the standard, I rarely buy games at launch anymore and it doesn't always have to do with how much they're priced...

The mail arrived with no Zelda. Can't believe it. I wanna run to u. Really can't believe this.

Also:
Zonai gacha is a brilliant idea.
I don't think it's actually gacha. It gives you what you need right then. The one near the air surf platform gave me those bird plates only.
Four hours in and this is the less handholding AAA game I think I've ever played. Basically everything is "figure it yourself or take the L". Fucking love it.
It does not actually show you what to do or where to go but I think most of the time it's pretty obvious.
I mean, those water mills were just made for the reversing power.

Was hoping to get a taste of greatness this morning, but the mail was late and I had somewhere to be in the afternoon.

It was slightly jarring to see the mailman pass by while waiting at the bus stop. I swear that's always how it goes with those kind of things ffs :]

I am completely shocked by the level design of the tutorial area. I figured that some parts of the game might have a bit more linearity then BotW, but this is like a region in Skyward Sword.

I can imagine that this game will become very controversial among newer BotW fans who love the freedom of that game, but as a classic Zelda fan I am incredibly happy.
I do agree that the tutorial is very linear, but at the same time I don't feel it's THAT different from BotW. I mean: BotW is open, but it's filled to the brim with small linear moments that unnoticeably guide you at any given time. When I didn't where to go (in TotK) and I found a couple of mushrooms drawing a path for me to climb, I instantly remembered the thousand times BotW did that to silently take me towards a Korok or an enemy camp. In BotW you were taught to cut down trees to be able to go over a chasm and there's an incredibly similar challenge in the starting area of TotK as well. I think the examples in the tutorial area are a bit more on the nose because they need to be VERY explicit at that point in the game and this happening on islands isolated from the rest of the world only strengthens this perception, but I don't see this as a deviation in the design used in BotW as much as a small adaptation.

I expect this game to have much more instances of "heavily" designed situations like Eventide Island, the Moai Ruins, the Mazes, the Hidden Temple, Lost Woods...But just like BotW would have had if they have had 2 more years to develop the game, or if they had started from an already existing world map instead of having to build all the world map, game systems and everything from scratch.

But I'm only 2.5 hours in the game so let´s see what we find.

The mail arrived with no Zelda. Can't believe it. I wanna run to u. Really can't believe this.
There was a second mailman after I left for work, and the delivery is secured. Glad the posties could maximise their joint slay.

played thru the intro, this is gonna be something special

They did this for many european languages lol. The greetings and last sentence are always in the respective language.
DE:

FR:

ES:

NL:

IT:

PT:

They did this for many european languages lol. The greetings and last sentence are always in the respective language.
DE:

FR:

ES:

NL:

IT:

PT:

It's so cute. Really hope they do another development documentary like they had for BotW, would be great to see a few more faces behind the project (beyond Ask The Developer).

Just over 5 hours and just finally finished the tutorial ( I think I did just about everything possible save for a few korok seeds most likely, although still managed to grab like 15 lol), sky plateau is unquestionably one of the greatest "levels" in video game history.

I work in corporate software and it takes us weeks to get rid of simple connectivity bugs or even little bugs on the company login page, lol.

Nintendo casually threw in a rewind, clipping, and object-fusing mechanic on top of one of the most complex physics-based open-world sandboxes and gaming.

I have yet to notice a bug. Lol. Every year of development shows in the polish and just the general makeup of the game. It's a technical achievement and it was all worth it.

People will focus on the limitations of the Switch but also conveniently ignore what's going on under the hood with this game. It punches above its weight constantly. Did we already mention that shrines and fast travel are the ONLY load screens? Holy help

For sure, I just wish this was the standard, I rarely buy games at launch anymore and it doesn't always have to do with how much they're priced...
I said the same thing when BotW launched: Most people and the media focus only on raw visuals when talking about technical prowess, but as a SW developer myself, the physics and chemistry systems in an open world of BotW are much more impressive. That is a HUGE accomplishment. And it's not just that there aren't any bugs, it's that it's an absolute blast to play and perform any kind of complex action, while in other AAA games just running and turning feels clunky AF.

DE:

FR:

ES:

NL:

IT:

PT:

lol, this is awesome

I laughed with giddiness dozens of times during my first hour on Hyrule mainland. I’ve been replaying BotW in anticipation for TotK and the evolution of the map is everything I dreamed of and more. Just wow.

Btw I‘m excluding Belgium in my post not because French is also spoken in France and Dutch in the Netherlands, it‘s because, yes you guessed it right, I hate Belgium. It‘s unfortunate, but as a swiss person I need to be against anything that is closely related to the European Union to be socially accepted in my country. Please understand.

Me and Aonuma imaginary dialogue

Me: "What can you create greater than greatness?"

Aonuma:
perfection-matt.gif

Very dumb question: how do you fuse weapons together? lol. If I attach them on the ground they break apart when I try to pick it up, and selecting ultrahand puts your weapon away?

I hope everyone’s copies arrive soon. My friend bought the game digitally, played a couple of hours, then went and ordered a ZOLED and the Collector’s Edition.

I don't think it's actually gacha. It gives you what you need right then. The one near the air surf platform gave me those bird plates only.
I rolled twice and I got the glider, fans, cookpot and fire emitter.

Speaking of the gliders, a couple of my favorite moments thus far (I have not gone past the tutorial area) have to do with them. Reached a far off island with a fan-boosted glider, and reached another by jumping off a glider while I was a thousand feet in the air, and managed to narrowly dive into the pond of the small sky island. It’s so exciting!

It does not actually show you what to do or where to go but I think most of the time it's pretty obvious.
I mean, those water mills were just made for the reversing power.
You’d be surprised at how many people can get confused without blatant hints. And that kind of intuitive level design is good, anyway!

omg the little Korok stuck with a huge backpack was too much for me
That was gosh dang cute I thought I could somehow carry them over to their friends

how do you fuse weapons together?
Not sure what you mean, but the steps are: bring weapon #1 out, have weapon #2 out in the overworld, then press L. You should see weapon #2 glowing and clickable.

Just from the start area you can see so many sky islands, the amount is staggering. I'm wondering all the time if it's even possible to see everything in this game, i's gonna take me months, for sure.
I just got two abilities in the sky (3h playing). It's the 1st time I have felt anxious about a game. It feels like it's big and I will take months to play this.
The ultrahand is such an amazing gameplay idea that I could see a new Nintendo IP just about that. When you think about the layers and more layers of content, it's blowing my mind. I will surely need a walkthrough to get most out of it eventually.

I'm curious how you actually beat the
Ishodag Shrine/A Windy Device because I couldn't figure out a way to raise the sliding metal lift with wind. It's probably super simple but it just wasn't clicking with me. So I janked the wood for the boat under the platform to raise it up, chucked a fan up, climbed the wood and caught the wind draft on the metal lift.

What did you guys do if anyone's cleared it?

Is there a way to fuse your weapon with an item in your inventory without first taking the item out?

Four hours in and this is the less handholding AAA game I think I've ever played. Basically everything is "figure it yourself or take the L". Fucking love it.
I find dark souls less handholding, but it doesn't make it a better game.
Until now, ToTK just teaches the basic and say "fuck off" earthling.

It kinda feels like the game expects you to have played the other zelda 1st.

Most people don't complain that the game is ugly or that it has bugs. It's just the fact that everyone knows how good the developer is, but they can't make this game looks amazing because the hardware is not there. If the switch had the power of a ps4, i can't even imagine how much better this game would look.

Actually, I'm even more certain Nintendo will make a remake out of it in the launch of the new console. Just improve foliage, shadows and the resolution. Just that and this game would look like next next next gen.

It sounds like you might be trying to use Ultrahand to fuse weapons together? Fuse is a separate power that you get from a different shrine.
That’d be it 😂 I guess I was confused because the ultrahand does, in fact, fuse stuff together

Btw I‘m excluding Belgium in my post not because French is also spoken in France and Dutch in the Netherlands, it‘s because, yes you guessed it right, I hate Belgium. It‘s unfortunate, but as a swiss person I need to be against anything that is closely related to the European Union to be socially accepted in my country. Please understand.
Understandable, also without that context.

Anyway, love that they did this! Small effort but very sweet.

Did Link always hum tunes from the series when cooking? This is great lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom