• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Spoiler Thread

Somebody never heard of a little thing called "Metroid Prime"

Even Other M which is ostensibly mainline is now dubious canon 😳
I mean I don’t think canon is that important in Metroid either lol, but the timeline for that doesn’t involve three branching paths and multiple versions of Samus running around, so it’s already far less convoluted.

You’ll never convince me that in either series the developers work very hard to craft an interconnected narrative, but it helps that Metroid isn’t trying to accommodate for 20+ games.

I mean I don’t think canon is that important in Metroid either lol, but the timeline for that doesn’t involve three branching paths and multiple versions of Samus running around, so it’s already far less convoluted.

You’ll never convince me that in either series the developers work very hard to craft an interconnected narrative, but it helps that Metroid isn’t trying to accommodate for 20+ games.
The later Metroid games aren't even canon to the earlier games completely and rely on outside comic books and the remakes to make sense. The argument over whether or not the Prime games are canon at all has been big for decades and it's getting else clear with games like Dread and Other M.

This isn't even just for nerd arguments, main aspects of the direct story of the games are unclear because of how messy the timeline is.

Sakamoto really does seem to care about the continuity of the 2D series at the very least.
And retro obviously did for the Prime series, they've been story heavy games since Metroid II

Finishing the game now, I think it is blatantly a very well made game, with very very fun and very very creative uses of it's system, and it was a blast to play, but I definitely wish this had been a brand new game with a brand new look and scenario instead of a BOTW sequel. Continuing the story of that game doesn't really strike me as a thing that we needed to do, and specially not if the act 2 is "remember when we defeated ganon with a group of colorful sidekicks? well, were doing that again, except this time the zora is the shield guy instead of the goron" which is frankly a pretty flavorless scenario.

You haven't read Zebes Cosmology, have you?
The chronology splits after Samus the Hunter defeats Space Pirate Leader Mother Brain in Metroid Zero Mission, with one timeline following Samus' ship being shot down by the Space Pirates and the other Samus successfully leaving Zebes. The section of the timeline where Samus leaves is further divided into two separate realities: the Ball Era, where Samus turns into a pinball ball, and the Scanner Era, where the Hunter fully embraces her hobby of scanning, and Space Pirate Ridley returns in various forms.

The Prime games follow the original Metroid, the ones by Sakamoto the expanding ending of Zero Mission.

I saw some people unironically proposing a similar split after Metroid I

@Phendrift

What are you talking about? I wasn't saying the game needs to be placed officially in a place in the timeline, I was just saying knowing that the past games actually happen adds a layer of history to the games. Finding a OOT Tunic and knowing the Hero of Time actually existed is better than just assuming it was some in-universe myth. It builds up the universe and adds so much more than just assuming nothing happened, especially when ToTKs story isn't even on par with past games stories and most certainly isn't worth throwing everything out for. References to other games become basic pandering if they're not actually canon. Something like the Biggorons Sword feels like there's a storied past to it, and it makes the world feel grander to know it's canon and actually existed vs it just being a some legend someone created a replica of down the line somewhere.

Take the Hero's Shade for example. He is a the Hero of Time in ghost form. A hero who traveled across a the land of Termina and healed restless souls with the Song of Healing, only to need his own restless soul healed by his descendant...and the quest to do so is kicked off by howling the Song of Healing. That alongside the imp that's guarding the Master Sword potentially being the Skull Kid from MM, adds sooooooooooo much to the game. If you ripped that out and just said "lol OOT was just a myth to TP" than now TP can only be enjoyed from the perspective of its story and its story alone. There's no greater world it fits into, no greater narrative, and that's boring. I like being immersed in my game universes, I like feeling like they're real and having a deep extensive history helps that. It might be easier to accept each game being completely separate (even tho none of them ever has been) if the games had overall better stories and was on the same level as like Xenoblade, but given BOTW and ToTK the stories are only getting worse with time.

Also the intro to WW...isn't vauge? Like it's treating the events as obscured, but we know confidently without a doubt that it's canon and the actual history of the game. Ganondorf and the KORL never shut up about the Hero of Time, and you can literally find depictions of OOT sages. WW does a phenomenal job presenting the history as mythical while still confirming it's real, that's completely fundamentally different than what ToTK might possibly be doing.
I mean… they did happen in some form though. Ruto and Nabooru are both directly acknowledged as in game legends among their respective races. Fi’s glow is blatantly shown in cutscenes.

It is inarguable the certain events of past games took place in BotW and TotK’s past.

I’m saying that even as a “reboot”, the past games are still a part of it. I don’t see the need to confirm “this game is connected and this is exactly how it is.” Being up for interpretation is cool.

As for where things go next-- they can change their mind of course but I have a feeling we will go back in time to see the wolf man link hero. There are lots of hints to the previous hero of the zonai and the game ends with Zelda talking about "how Hyrule was". Seems like a hint to me

I think the fact that people are having arguments on what’s canon and what isn’t in the BOTW/TOTK duology puts the kibosh on that idea tbh
My point was that I'm tired of being ridiculed by people or seeing other theorists be treated as the butt of the joke by people who, having made it clear they don't care about the lore or timeline and are thus deaf or blind to any connections or references, rushing in to claim that the chronology and lore is meaningless and nobody should care. It's fine to care about the lore of Zelda, there's nothing wrong with doing so.
I mean… they did happen in some form though. Ruto and Nabooru are both directly acknowledged as in game legends among their respective races. Fi’s glow is blatantly shown in cutscenes.

It is inarguable the certain events of past games took place in BotW and TotK’s past.

I’m saying that even as a “reboot”, the past games are still a part of it. I don’t see the need to confirm “this game is connected and this is exactly how it is.” Being up for interpretation is cool.
Except by "being up for interpretation" is basically the same thing as saying "it didn't happen" major characters and stories people have an attachment to shouldnt be swept away and treated as not existing. Especially if what's replacing it is a sloppy mess.
I don’t think the events necessarily have to play out the exact same way as they did in prior games though.
So the games did happen but they may not have happened, what are you even arguing?

How would people feel about a separate timeline/lore thread? Clearly people have a lot of thoughts on it and it's kinda overwhelming this thread a little when it's only one part of the post-game discussion

How would people feel about a separate timeline/lore thread? Clearly people have a lot of thoughts on it and it's kinda overwhelming this thread a little when it's only one part of the post-game discussion
I was actually meaning to set one up once I finished the game, and did do a couple of hours ago, so I might go ahead and make one now.

It’ll be very interesting to see how Nintendo will handle Hyrule from here on out. I really don’t think they intend on reusing this map a third time, but I also find myself wondering how they can do a Hyrule again that is fully original. The Hyrule in BotW/TotK is without a doubt THE definitive Hyrule, fully realizing the kingdom and all its major locations with the full scale that all the older games were somewhat abstractly trying to represent, so to speak. How do you remix it enough so that it feels like an entirely new land to explore for future games? Hyrule has always changed between games, but mostly retained its major landmarks and overall structure (desert to the west; Death mountain to the northeast, etc). Even if they hypothetically just start from scratch and completely change the layout of its major areas/biomes, how do you do that without it in some ways still feel like retreading old ground? Like does it really make a different if the snowy area is in the west this time, the desert in the north, etc? I feel like there’s a particular challenge with designing a completely open world to make it feel fresh and brand new as opposed to an overworld that guides you in a more linear fashion, where there’s more obvious ways it could mix things up for the player.

With this in mind, I can see Nintendo going in one of these directions for the next mainline game:

1. Next game takes place in a non-Hyrule land. Probably the most obvious solution. With this, they are much less held to comparison to BotW/TotK’s overworld and are free to design something that’s wholly unique in the type of environment it gives us, and are probably less pressured to rival the same size and scope of Hyrule.

2. Wind Waker 2.0. Another popular option I see people mention is to do another water-focused game with islands and sailing, plus the prospect of underwater exploration. After TotK tackled sky, land, and underground, underwater seems like the next natural frontier to tackle. Underwater mechanics are without a doubt difficult to implement from a game design standpoint, not to mention having to rework the physics of everything when underwater, which I’m sure is why it’s been left out in these games, but if they make that their main focus in the next game, I’m sure they can deliver something extraordinary.

3. Hyrule, but in a vastly different time period that’s it’s nearly unrecognizable. Maybe a Hyrule that’s fully built up with sprawling cities? A futuristic Hyrule? (tbh I’m not sure how I feel about that idea). One thing I was thinking of is setting the next game in the Adult timeline after Spirit Tracks, in New Hyrule, and carrying over/expanding on the trains and steampunk elements. That could work.

It’s always fun to speculate on where they’ll take the series next, and this is perhaps the most “uncharted territory” the franchise has been in, so I’ve been thinking about this often.
While am still enjoying Tears, and will be of course doing that for year to come, this is a very interesting question for sure. I don't think artstyle will be the same, it will change because the setting will change. The artstyle is mostly based on the setting itself. Part of me is really wondering how will they go from 3 layered world now. Not to mention the abilities, will we lose Fuse and Ultrahand? It's not like BOTW abilities which could be replaced be something, Fuse and Ultrahand are two that really engage players with their imagination, hard to imagine a new game without these kind of things since posibilities with these are endless.

Made the timeline/lore thread, please keep this thread to general spoiler discussion on TotK, and we can move the timeline talk there.

Was talking about this elsewhere but for a game as polished as this I’m still really baffled by some UI choices.

-Want to fuse a weapon with your inventory? Can’t do it on the menu, gotta equip the weapon, select the item, drop it, then select fuse.
-Want to fuse your arrow with something? Gotta scroll horizontally for 300 years
-Want to use a sage power? Gotta run over to them and find them and press A (but make sure you don’t select another one by mistake!).

I just can’t imagine someone in QA didn’t point out these problems.

Does anyone else feel… I dunno… a little jealous with all the attention the sages get? 🤣 I’m in the lightning temple right now, letting Riju through the traps with my arm powers, and she’s just like, “oh, the fire randomly, for no reason, stopped? Cool I can catch up now.” Like bitch I stopped the fire.

And this is my third dungeon. The amount of praise Sidon and Tulin got from everyone from my last two dungeons, you’d have thought they did everything. The end dungeon cinematics are all about the old sages talking to the new ones like, “my cherished kin, please receive this super cool stone after overcoming all odds. I’m so super duper proud of you.” Meanwhile Link is standing in the back picking his nose waiting to get his heart container.

Don’t get me wrong this doesn’t ruin the game for me. I just find it kinda funny. 🤭

Does anyone else feel… I dunno… a little jealous with all the attention the sages get? 🤣 I’m in the lightning temple right now, letting Riju through the traps with my arm powers, and she’s just like, “oh, the fire randomly, for no reason, stopped? Cool I can catch up now.” Like bitch I stopped the fire.

And this is my third dungeon. The amount of praise Sidon and Tulin got from everyone from my last two dungeons, you’d have thought they did everything. The end dungeon cinematics are all about the old sages talking to the new ones like, “my cherished kin, please receive this super cool stone after overcoming all odds. I’m so super duper proud of you.” Meanwhile Link is standing in the back picking his nose waiting to get his heart container.

Don’t get me wrong this doesn’t ruin the game for me. I just find it kinda funny. 🤭
At least the Zora put Link in the statue.

fwiw I think the sages have masks and go unnamed because they didn't want them to completely overshadow the present day characters again. some of them need all the help they can (yunobo) if you are to take them seriously
I loved Yunobo in this game, goro!

Updating the Town music and especially Stable music would go a long way for me to feel more like this is its own game. Town music DLC!

Updating the Town music and especially Stable music would go a long way for me to feel more like this is its own game. Town music DLC!
The musician troop harmonizing with the stable theme while playing Epona’s theme is pretty important imo, I wouldn’t change it personally.

This Hyrule seems pretty exhausted, I don't see how they can make a third one without it feeling like a complete retread when TotK is already dangerously close to it. They'd have to make a game where the topography is completely irrelevant which even a Wind Waker scenario wouldn't really achieve. Nah, I think a new map is a must and it'll probably be designed with whatever new hook they have in mind. If seafaring is involved I think there will still be large landmasses, not smaller islands like they had them in WW and Phantom Hourglass.

So, uh... anyone know if you can fail to catch Zelda in the ending? Because I misinput and didn't get her the first time, but got a second chance. Wondering if you can actually fail there.

So, uh... anyone know if you can fail to catch Zelda in the ending? Because I misinput and didn't get her the first time, but got a second chance. Wondering if you can actually fail there.
You can’t fail it from what I’ve seen, but I wonder what happens if you fail the dragon battle

I was not ready to fight the first two forms again lol

I'm fairly sure at a certain height she stops moving vertically, lol

You can’t fail it from what I’ve seen, but I wonder what happens if you fail the dragon battle

I was not ready to fight the first two forms again lol
I took a lot of gloom damage trying to climb up the dragon’s neck and over its horns because I missed the weak points initially and thought I had to attack its face. Once I got there and attacking it’s eyes did nothing I figured it out, but I could see some losing there if they didn’t pack gloom healing stuff. Guessing you would restart the whole ordeal since the last auto save is before starting the fights.

I took a lot of gloom damage trying to climb up the dragon’s neck and over its horns because I missed the weak points initially and thought I had to attack its face. Once I got there and attacking it’s eyes did nothing I figured it out, but I could see some losing there if they didn’t pack gloom healing stuff. Guessing you would restart the whole ordeal since the last auto save is before starting the fights.
Yeah, thankfully I had cooked a ton of food before the final battle, so I restored all my hearts and had more than enough to finish the dragon sequence. But I was nervous lol. It was a great capper though, very cathartic after the difficult showdown with Ganondorf.

I might be mistaken here but I believe in BOTW if you (somehow) die against Dark Beast Ganon, you only have to redo that bit of the fight. I assume it's the same here.

I fail to see what's so exciting about seafaring and underwater exploration. They severely limit your movement options. The next Zelda should have a fresh new overworld.

I fail to see what's so exciting about seafaring and underwater exploration. They severely limit your movement options. The next Zelda should have a fresh new overworld.
I agree the next game should have a new map, but there is so much you could do with underwater. Stumble upon lakes and dive to see what's down there, underwater caves, it would add a whole new dimension to exploration like the addition of caves does.

I agree the next game should have a new map, but there is so much you could do with underwater. Stumble upon lakes and dive to see what's down there, underwater caves, it would add a whole new dimension to exploration like the addition of caves does.
But in terms of gameplay, it's gotta be inferior to what you could on land.

But in terms of gameplay, it's gotta be inferior to what you could on land.
They should add diving not substitute everything else with it.
I as well think that this would enrich the world.

When I played Abzu back then, I sometimes wished I was playing a Zelda game and explore these ruins while solving some great puzzles.
If one development team can make underwater movement and combat fun, it is Zeldas.

Shrine cleanup now. 10 left.

I genuinely feel like: there’s 150 of them and believe it or not, I want 150 more.

Every puzzle is an absolute joy to solve, and the proving grounds ones are incredible. Whenever I enter one that is only a Rauru blessing, I get disappointed.

Somebody never heard of a little thing called "Metroid Prime"

Even Other M which is ostensibly mainline is now dubious canon 😳

The later Metroid games aren't even canon to the earlier games completely and rely on outside comic books and the remakes to make sense. The argument over whether or not the Prime games are canon at all has been big for decades and it's getting else clear with games like Dread and Other M.

This isn't even just for nerd arguments, main aspects of the direct story of the games are unclear because of how messy the timeline is.

And retro obviously did for the Prime series, they've been story heavy games since Metroid II
Bit LTTP but I do think that's kinda selling Metroid a bit short there, it's one of the precious few Nintendo IPs where continuity and lore actually is a factor. Like as mentioned before, Sakamoto does obviously care about continuity in the 2D Metroid games, that's why they actually try to build upon each other's story and lore (i.e Samus killing the Metroids in Metroid 2, which was in direct response on the Galactic Federation's part to the space pirates abusing their power in the first game, and also her sparing the baby Metroid, has huge ramifications for the rest of the series' narrative, as seen in Super, Fusion, Other M and Dread). Likewise as Brock mentions there, Retro did the same thing with the Prime games.

I guess the main thing that makes the timeline feel "messy" is because Sakamoto Metroid and Metroid Prime, despite supposedly taking place in the same universe and canon, effectively function as their own separate storylines and timelines at this point. The IRL version for this is because both pretty much are two different series with different developers and producers doing their own thing from each other, barring the occasional nod/crossover like Proteus Ridley in Samus Returns.

Last edited:
So, why exactly was Nintendo so tight lipped if Yunobo is in the game lol? They didn't even make artwork of him.
I can think of two reasons.

-The Goron quest involves the Depths and Nintendo was keeping everything related to those a secret before release.

-He's briefly an antagonist at the start of the Goron quest, advertising that he joins with you like Tulin/Sidon/Riju would kill any potential drama from that.

This is your reminder that Colgera's music is, in fact, a banger.

TotK hits the dungeon and boss music out of the park, that's for sure.

Okay so I want to ask this. Think it makes better for an open question in the spoiler thread rather than its own thread. I might rehash stuff I’ve said here earlier, but so curious to hear other people’s thoughts.

Do you think Tears of the Kingdom has better worldbuilding than Breath of the Wild?

Because I’m sort of surprising myself with saying that no, I think BotW takes an edge here. I think it’s the aesthetics that plays a lot into me thinking that, with me just having a soft spot for the high-tech, sort of austere look of the Sheikah, compared to the aesthetic flair that the Zonai brought to TotK. I also think that the Sheikah benefited a lot from the mystique. Sure, the Zonai had this working against them, since they’re more prominent in the story, but I felt like the world of BotW was more alluring to m because of this.

In general, it was a bit more engrossing and authentic for me to dig into the Sheikah, their origins and what they left behind. Rhoam’s speech felt more engaging than the comparatively dry exposition dumps about the imprisoning war, and the divine beasts felt like they had more of a context in the world than the temples of TotK.

Finally, the world of BotW feels coherent and makes sense. TotK is coherent as well, but something about it feels strangely contrived to me. I can’t really compute how these sort of ethereal beings that the Zonai are built this huge factory in the depths that made tires and fans and stuff. On top of that, it felt like the fact that their kingdom was sent to the heavens and torn up didn’t quite get a satisfactory answer. (Which might cook down to me misremembering, I admit)

Last edited:
Had time to order my thoughts about BotW/TotK and the future of the series. There's basically two elephants in the room right now and I might make a separate post for the next mainline entry. I'm mostly going to focus on a potential expansion pass which will hopefully be addressed soon.

I think any ideas they might have for a separate campaign, as cool is it would be to play as Zelda in the past, will probably be saved for a sequel. Call me pessimistic but I don't really expect much more than something on the level of the BotW EP. But as much as I love this Hyrule I'd be completely fine if we moved on completely and only got a smaller (preferably free lol) DLC. TotK already has most of the important non-story stuff that the BotW EP introduced, including Hero's Path, the Travel Medallion and the additional armour sets. What's missing is something like the Trial of the Sword and Master Mode (the lack of which is the main reason why I think we will get something post-release).

I've talked about Master Mode before and how I found its implementation in BotW rather poor as enemies turn into damage sponges. The best way to solve this would be to give enemies only modest health buffs (none of that recovery nonsense) but to make them more aggressive. The rest can mostly stay: Enemies are leveled up, there's gold variants, certain stronger enemies show up in new places etc. Additionally, I'd like to see different and more varied enemy placements for the temples and stronger variants for the boss rematches in the Depths.

If they actually do story DLC, it's probably going to follow the Champion's Ballad template: A smaller scenario that can slot into the events before the showdown with Ganondorf so it doesn't close the door on any potential follow-ups. Basically some more story material to flesh out the characters and lore, a few new shrines to max out our stats and hopefully a new temple. I already posted in the ST that I'd love a Zonai themed temple that goes a little further with the dragon/owl/boar imagery and maybe features constructs based on those animals as bosses. Again, not something I really need but it would be relatively easy to incorporate into the world as most of the Central Hyrule Sky is empty.

It's possible that they haven't announced DLC so far because it would spoil events of TotK but maybe they simply don't have anything else planned and the higher pricepoint is accounting for that.

@ Irene

I definitely agree that the world building was stronger in BotW. I would say far stronger and BotW was already a bit lacking in that department...

The only part TotK fleshed out better is everything around the Yiga Clan, imo.

The sky islands are mainly just a collection of challenges and launching pads. Backstory to them is few and far between after the great sky island tutorial.
The depths feel even more like an afterthought storywise.

The lore surrounding the dungeons is just very short and rather disconnected to the tribes.
This was done better with the guardians, shrines, towers and divine beasts who are all referenced throughout the game several times and their purpose in the world is pretty clear.

Okay so I want to ask this. Think it makes better for an open question in the spoiler thread rather than its own thread. I might rehash stuff I’ve said here earlier, but so curious to hear other people’s thoughts.

Do you think Tears of the Kingdom has better worldbuilding than Breath of the Wild?

Because I’m sort of surprising myself with saying that no, I think BotW takes an edge here. I think it’s the aesthetics that plays a lot into me thinking that, with me just having a soft spot for the high-tech, sort of austere look of the Sheikah, compared to the aesthetic flair that the Zonai brought to TotK. I also think that the Sheikah benefited a lot from the mystique. Sure, the Zonai had this working against them, since they’re more prominent in the story, but I felt like the world of BotW was more alluring to m because of this.

In general, it was a bit more engrossing and authentic for me to dig into the Sheikah, their origins and what they left behind. Rhoam’s speech felt more engaging than the comparatively dry exposition dumps about the imprisoning war, and the divine beasts felt like they had more of a context in the world than the temples of TotK.

Finally, the world of BotW feels coherent and makes sense. TotK is coherent as well, but something about it feels strangely contrived to me. I can’t really compute how these sort of ethereal beings that the Zonai are built this huge factory in the depths that made tires and fans and stuff. On top of that, it felt like the fact that their kingdom was sen to the heavens and being torn up didn’t quite get a satisfactory answer. (Which might cook down to me misremembering, I admit)
I think BotW is way more consistent but that's kind of a side effect of being the first in a new "cycle" and due to its approach to lore. We know as much as we need about the Sheikah and their role in creating the tech that we see. The residents of Hyrule are familiar with the Calamity and both the Guardians and the Divine Beasts are constant presences.

Conversely, TotK tries to fill some rather massive gaps in its history and leaves certain things intentionally vague. The temples are basically archeological sites that the current residents of Hyrule have practically no context for which have been unearthed due to the Upheaval. There's only myths and legends about the temples and we are the ones to uncover them.

In BotW we saw the effects of 100 years of nature taking back Hyrule from its residents, after the events of BotW they are now slowly starting to rebuild what was. If BotW is a "post-postapocalyptic" setting, then TotK is "pre-restoration".

I think any ideas they might have for a separate campaign, as cool is it would be to play as Zelda in the past, will probably be saved for a sequel. Call me pessimistic but I don't really expect much more than something on the level of the BotW EP. But as much as I love this Hyrule I'd be completely fine if we moved on completely and only got a smaller (preferably free lol) DLC. TotK already has most of the important non-story stuff that the BotW EP introduced, including Hero's Path, the Travel Medallion and the additional armour sets. What's missing is something like the Trial of the Sword and Master Mode (the lack of which is the main reason why I think we will get something post-release).

I mainly wish for the DLC that we can destroy/avert the bloodmoon forever (with a series of new shrines and a dungeon). Maybe even post-endboss.
Reward is a jetpack for Mineru's construct. Our flying mount.

Afterwards we can clear the whole map of enemies one last time without them respawning ever again (maybe just the overworld so you can still upgrade your stuff by farming in the depths).

Additionally we put Hudson Inc. to good use and rebuild Hyrule, especially Castle town.

I mainly wish for the DLC that we can destroy/avert the bloodmoon forever (with a series of new shrines and a dungeon). Maybe even post-endboss.

Afterwards we can clear the whole map of enemies one last time without them respawning ever again (maybe just the overworld so you can still upgrade your stuff by farming in the depths).

real

AnguishedUntidyBurro-size_restricted.gif

vibes

Finally, the world of BotW feels coherent and makes sense. TotK is coherent as well, but something about it feels strangely contrived to me. I can’t really compute how these sort of ethereal beings that the Zonai are built this huge factory in the depths that made tires and fans and stuff. On top of that, it felt like the fact that their kingdom was sent to the heavens and torn up didn’t quite get a satisfactory answer. (Which might cook down to me misremembering, I admit)
For TotK, a lot of it has to do with this game putting a lot of Zonai stuff in certain quests over making it a main part of the narrative. Most of the Kakariko village stuff does cover more ground in that area but its optional and most aren't doing that side adventure with the tablets. I thought despite it also giving us another overview of the story, it also explains a lot of things in this game.

Also, I don't know, I kind of like how little is explained. This is a civilization that is older than the Ancient Shekiah, it feels right that we don't know everything because our history is incredibly muddled going past 5k years, let alone the tens of thousands of years in the past.

Additionally we put Hudson Inc. to good use and rebuild Hyrule, especially Castle town.
Given Addison's carpentry skills, I'm not sure we can trust Hudson Inc to actually build stuff. It probably would fall down due to wind. :p

I agree, TotK doesn't gel as well as BotW does in a lot of ways. BotW felt like a game that had a lot of thought put into it in preproduction to make the gameplay, art and setting coherent in an incredible way. Creating a Champion illustrates the enormous amount of worldbuilding they did.

TotK, in contrast, feels like Doom Eternal in some aspects: take an excellent core, add a lot of stuff, end up with an arguably more complete & fun game that's also lost something in the process.

Fortunately TotK is a much better additive sequel compared to Doom Eternal, but both have a bit of an haphazard feel to them.

Back
Top Bottom