• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Spoiler Thread

Anyway, I finished the story today, and there's really only one big thing that kinda disappointed me and that's...

the sky islands.

For something that was the center point of the game's marketing for so many years they feel kinda undercooked in the end? The sky looks like it's brimming with islands, but in truth it's actually a rather modest number with often just a little more than a handful of small islands hovering over each region. There's something truly magical about traveling from sky island to sky island, which makes me wish that they were actually a bigger part of the game. It also feels like the Great Sky Islands tease something that doesn't actually exist outside of it - islands that are actually big enough to invite for exploration. Pretty much everything that follows on it are usually very tiny and often just repeating structures. What's there is great nevertheless, it's just... I wish there was more of it. The Great Sky Islands felt very tightly designed compared to the more loosely designed overworld, which I think would have made for a very fun contrast, but alas.

I wonder if they might have had to scale their ambitions back in that regard for performance reasons. The Water Temple, which might be the one big sky structure next to the Great Sky Islands was easily the segment where the FPS struggled the most in my playthrough, so maybe there's just a limitation of what's possible on this hardware.

Regardless of whether it's a new timeline or retelling or not, we clearly see/hear that Fi still exists and that there are places directly ripped from Skyward Sword and present in modern day BOTW/ToTK Hyrule. So at the very least it's SS -> ??? -> BOTW/ToTK.

Personally while I can see why people are leaning on the, in my opinion horribly stupid retcon, idea, I'd rather just believe it's a new Ganondorf that existed before OOT, even tho that itself has issues. The Sages also don't have to be the OOT sages (in fact I would vastly prefer they aren't meant to be because the Sages from OOT are vastly more interesting) as there are ancient sages depicted in games like TP that predate the OOT group. In fact I'd be more willing to believe the Twilight Princess arbiter's Grounds sages are the same ones in ToTK, rather than overwrite the OOT group, and subsequently in the process basically eradicate the only real instance of the Kokiri having a prominent role.

I think it would be odd to say the game is at the end of a timeline if the timeline it was at the end of didn't exist in the first place
I don’t believe Nintendo actually ever said that, though. It was thought to be implied, but Nintendo was always vague about BotW’s timeline placement. They confirmed that it takes place over 10,000 years after an age now known as the Era of Myth by BotW’s time, which people believed was supposed to be one of the original timelines, but that was all just assumptions made by the fans (myself included). Suddenly Nintendo being weirdly vague about BotW’s timeline placement makes a lot more sense after TotK.

Also, in regards to the timeline not existing before, how is that any different from the Adult Timeline or Downfall Timelines? Like, at the time when OoT and MM were released, the assumption was that ALttP and the games that follow it took place afterwards in what would become known as the Child Timeline sometime later with the events of Ganondorf attempting to steal the Triforce playing out differently than in OoT and instead leading into the Imprisoning War this time, with the Adult Timeline not even being considered to be a thing (not to mention the Downfall Timeline). Then, TWW happened, and suddenly that timeline was being used. And later still, after TP made it clear that ALttP was no longer compatible with the Child Timeline, ALttP and its following games were thrown into uncertainty until Nintendo confirmed the Downfall Timeline.

If there is supposed to be a timeline split in Skyward Sword but no games were currently taking place on it, it would make sense for it to not be officially acknowledged yet. It only “doesn’t exist” (or rather isn’t officially acknowledged) until it becomes relevant, and now with TotK it seems that that might now be the case. Also, SS was the last 3D Zelda game made before BotW, and in between then is where the full timeline was officially confirmed by the Hyrule Historia, The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia, and Nintendo’s official website, so it wouldn’t surprise me at all that they would make BotW and TotK take place on a branching timeline from SS that was previously not acknowledged.

Last edited:
The more I think about the story... While it still has some of the most amazing highs in the game (the ending, oh my god the ending, and the dragon transform, and the intro) it feels, like, janky in a way, with some things that feels so odd. (the deceit scene being an example) I've seen more critical takes of the story here and there, and I can't help but see eye-to-eye with some of the points being made, despite the fact that I on the whole loved this story more than the story of, say, BotW or SS.

A thing that's been on my mind recently was that it felt like the whole thing lacked.. a theme? BotW's themes were nature, wilderness. Zelda wanted to do research, but she was burdened with her duties and couldn't free her power, it was only by being freed from her burdens and accessing her powers naturally that she truly woke up. The Silent Princess in the logo was symbolic - like Zelda herself, the flower could only thrive in the wild.

TotK's theme is... sacrifice? Or something? What was up with the whole ouroboros in the logo, the beginning is the end/the cycle of things/the birth and death that everyone was harping on about? Just a theory? What's the logo supposed to represent then, that there's.. dragons in the game? I'm not following here.

Like, It felt to me that the game lacked something significant to say, other than "if you really believe someone to protect you, sacrifice everything for them". Which is a powerful message, and why some of the stuff in the story hits hard, but if that really is all there is to it, it sort of lacks depth when compared to BotW specifically.

Agree on wondering what the theme of TOTK is, but I think the Ouroboros logo can pretty clearly be assumed to be about how Zelda kinda makes a closed timeloop when she goes back in time.

No, we know Vah Rutah was named after a Ruto who fought "alongside the princess of Hyrule and the hero of legend". The Zora recall these events not as a legend but as a written history. Also, according to an old legend, "a Zora princess fell in love with a Hylian swordsman" (following the games alone, this princess might or might not be Ruto, but I think the developers' intent is clear).

Nobody is losing their sleep over the timeline, it's just a fun, silly game we like to play, and the developers clearly intended to connect the games loosely.
(By the way I just want to mention, I mistyped Ruto as "Rito" in my previous comment)

I believe this is not intending to tell us that everything in OoT happened in the TotK universe exactly as we saw in the game. Like I've mentioned before, as Disney/Lucasfilm is doing with Star Wars, I think it's pretty apparent that Nintendo is simply "decanonizing" all previous games from BotW/TotK, and drawing whatever they want from past games.

What this means is that, yes, a Princess Ruto fell in love with a Hylian swordsman and fought alongside Zelda. This doesn't necessarily mean everything in OoT is canon, just that there was a princess named Ruto who did the above stuff. She could have looked entirely different. She could have not even lived the same time as Nabooru, etc

I think if you've played OoT it's a pretty explicit reference. That description certainly doesn't apply to the Zora sage in TotK's flashback at any rate.
I've played and beaten OoT about a dozen times, this still doesn't canonize the entirety of OoT into BotW/TotK.

It just means that there was an ancient princess named Ruto who fell in love with a Hylian swordsman and fought alongside Princess Zelda. Fans of the series will pick up on this Easter egg reference.

This doesn't need to be Star Wars or Marvel. The timeline has always been an afterthought to the canon of each individual game. Even games that are explicitly sequels (OoT / Wind Waker) or explicitly taking place after other games (ALttP -> OoT) contradict each other.

Arguing for a consistent logical and connected timeline is a fool's errand

Where did they ever actually say that?

played and beaten OoT about a dozen times, this still doesn't canonize the entirety of OoT into BotW/TotK.

It just means that there was an ancient princess named Ruto who fell in love with a Hylian swordsman and fought alongside Princess Zelda. Fans of the series will pick up on this Easter egg reference.

This doesn't need to be Star Wars or Marvel. The timeline has always been an afterthought to the canon of each individual game. Even games that are explicitly sequels (OoT / Wind Waker) or explicitly taking place after other games (ALttP -> OoT) contradict each other.

Arguing for a consistent logical and connected timeline is a fool's errand
They've done that up until now, no reason they should stop. Especially when this game is placed so far in the future to make any connections easy without contradictions, and it goes out of its way to include direct ties to SS and OoT. I think it make sense to make Botw murky because you aren't sure where you want to take things next, but TotK is pretty deliberate to bring the past back in.

They've done that up until now, no reason they should stop. Especially when this game is placed so far in the future to make any connections easy without contradictions, and it goes out of its way to include direct ties to SS and OoT.

So Rauru and Sonia had a daughter named Zelda that we never saw?

Because otherwise everything contradicts. This is the first Ganondorf, but he was alive throughout the 10,000+ years until TotK, which means there couldn't have been other Gerudo men or other Ganondorves
I think it's the last Ganondorf, like I said I think the game shows the forming of a New Hyrule (perhaps on the same spot as the old Hyrule) far at the end of the adult timeline.

Now the story of the game itself implies that Zelda is related to Rauru and Sonia, because she inhereted both of their innate stone powers. That's more of a contradiction with the game's own internal story rather than any timeline placement.

Most of my issues with the game, aside from little UI annoyances that are prevalent throughout, kind of fade away while playing it. There's just so many unforgettable moments that everything else seems rather minor in comparison. The last time I got sucked into a game like this was, well, its predecessor. As I suspected from the first few leaks, TotK has addressed pretty much all of my issues in some way. But when you've played BotW for 70h to defeat Ganon and then another 70h just to fuck around, it's easy to see in which areas they could have done more.

I think everyone's biggest concern was how much the world has changed between the games. To my pleasant surprise, most of the changes are pretty well done. I admit that I'm biased due to my own profession but the Lucky Clover Gazette won me over immediately. Hateno being taken over by a fashion fad based on mushrooms which ties into a mayoral election is the kind of storyline only Zelda can pull off. The Yiga, which I expected to become more ninja-like, have become these Mad Max style underground weirdos. The four regions associated with the temples also get their new twists that tie into new game mechanics. But focusing so much on these key locations also has the adverse effect that it makes the game feel a little bit like a remix of BotW at times. The truly new new stuff feels few and far between.

Lookout Landing is a genuinely cool new place where the developer's stated theme of "hands" and the symbolic associations (helping each other, working together, the connections between people, the need for community etc.) is actually expressed. As you help solve the regional phenomenons, people from the respective races end up joining you and you can meet Buliara and Hath there, see Zoras doing drills and a little Goron kid zooming around. It's a nice continuation of what we did in BotW with Tarrey Town. This is also expressed in many other ways, like the traveling Koroks that you have to bring together, the Stable Trotters you have to reunite, the "partner" system etc.

However, LL being the only new populated location is a bummer when there's large swathes of land almost completely unchanged that could have served a similar purpose. Earlier I came across the Tabantha Village ruins and I was wondering why Hylians and Rito aren't working together to rebuild it. I guess some of it is due to the relatively short timespan between BotW and TotK but when I played Age of Calamity I kept wondering what a Hyrule during restoration would look like. In TotK they've barely started rebuilding it. It's almost like we will see this in a seq- alright, I'll stop that thought. As a sidenote, both the Sky Islands as well as the Depths would have been perfect for radically different villages. I love the idea of a village founded by Zonai Constructs that are now engaged in mundane tasks to emulate a "society" (I think this was @LukasManak22's idea). What about an underground village of Yiga deserters that have found each other?

The lack of new weapons didn't even register with me because there's so many things you get to fuse your weapons. I have super strong horns burning a hole into my pocket because I simply haven't gotten around to using them yet. Armours are a different story, though. The new sets are all pretty cool (Depths one is amazing) but also rather situational. You get the miner outfit for the depths, the froggie outfit for climbing in the rain, the glide outfit for skydiving etc. But realistically speaking most people are going to default to the standard sets they had in BotW. It's good that they redesigned the Champion's Tunic a bit (looks much better imo) but why stop there? Why not give us a "ceremonial" Zora armour that looks different from the one in BotW? Stuff like that would have been cool not just for newcomers but also those that played BotW. Some of the better armours are also all from amiibos or BotW DLC. It obviously makes sense to reuse them but

I've talked about enemy variety at length before and it's much improved if not quite where I wanted it to be. Love the Boss Bokoblin leading a group of Bokoblis... somewhere. Gleeok and Frox are genuinely terrifying the first time you run into them and pose a decent challenge afterwards. I especially appreciated the Gerudo having their own enemy types, and I'm a bit confused why the others didn't. Especially when there were such obvious picks (Wolfos and/or Aeralfos for the Rito, Dodongo for the Gorons, Gyorg for the Zora). The Constructs dominating the Temples and the lead-up to them is also a bit of a baffling decision and, again, just like BotW and the Guardians. New enemy placements in this areas is actually my most wanted feature for a hypothetical Master Mode.

As I said at the beginning, most of this doesn't really register with me while playing, the game is that good and almost everything it did just clicked with me. But it does make me wonder where they will go after TotK. I wouldn't be surprised if the next one builds upon BotW and TotK but in a completely new setting.

Last edited:
Because otherwise everything contradicts. This is the first Ganondorf, but he was alive throughout the 10,000+ years until TotK, which means there couldn't have been other Gerudo men or other Ganondorves
I don't mean to interject but based on what exactly?

Most of my issues with the game, aside from little UI annoyances that are prevalent throughout, kind of fade away while playing it.

This is kinda where I’m at too. Like I have complained here about the lack of new town themes, but when I’m actually in the towns and running around it doesn’t bother me at all - like the old themes are still fucking good lol

Wasn't somebody complaining earlier that the Purah Pad character bios don't make any sense because they say the Calamity was 100 years ago and the Deku Tree is a Korok?

I don't know what you're smoking because I just read all of them and it does not say those things lol

The more I think about the story... While it still has some of the most amazing highs in the game (the ending, oh my god the ending, and the dragon transform, and the intro) it feels, like, janky in a way, with some things that feels so odd. (the deceit scene being an example) I've seen more critical takes of the story here and there, and I can't help but see eye-to-eye with some of the points being made, despite the fact that I on the whole loved this story more than the story of, say, BotW or SS.

A thing that's been on my mind recently was that it felt like the whole thing lacked.. a theme? BotW's themes were nature, wilderness. Zelda wanted to do research, but she was burdened with her duties and couldn't free her power, it was only by being freed from her burdens and accessing her powers naturally that she truly woke up. The Silent Princess in the logo was symbolic - like Zelda herself, the flower could only thrive in the wild.

TotK's theme is... sacrifice? Or something? What was up with the whole ouroboros in the logo, the beginning is the end/the cycle of things/the birth and death that everyone was harping on about? Just a theory? What's the logo supposed to represent then, that there's.. dragons in the game? I'm not following here.

Like, It felt to me that the game lacked something significant to say, other than "if you really believe someone to protect you, sacrifice everything for them". Which is a powerful message, and why some of the stuff in the story hits hard, but if that really is all there is to it, it sort of lacks depth when compared to BotW specifically.
I saw this earlier today and sorta reflected on it while watching my wife work through the finale, and while at first I sort of agreed that I couldn't point to any one major theme, it started to click for me: there is a major theme in all story quests and even some side content, and I find it compelling. Specifically, this game has a huge focus on the struggles of leadership, and not only what sacrifices leaders make, but the compromises and changes they'll make if it's what's best for their people.

A bunch of examples of this come to mind... Sidon's story mentions that he's sort of become over protective of the Zora to a point where he can't live in an authentic way anymore-- not because he lacks confidence as a leader, but because he fears losing those important to him again after what happened to Mipha.

Teba and Tulin both go through this in the Rito saga. Teba became chief somewhat unwillingly and feels burdened by his new responsibilities. One character mentions that Tulin is brash and runs himself ragged in his efforts to protect and help the Rito.

Reiju's isn't particularly deep, but it's straightforward-- she took personal responsibility for her powers not being strong enough to repel the Gibdo. This isn't explicit either, but I think it's cool that Reiju and Buliara are willing to let their customs go for a bit to allow Link to help them protect their village.

Yunobo I think is the biggest complaint I have with the story in terms of missed potential. He's still another person trying to adapt to new ways to benefit his people, but the whole mask thing could have been so much cooler. I was sort of hoping Yunobo's cowardice/lack of confidence in leadership would have gotten him corrupted with the pursuit of wealth... But no, it's just a bad guy mask, and he immediately turns back to normal. It's fine but, definitely a place I felt lacking.

More examples of the themes of the pains of leadership-- the Hateno quest line. Reed and Cece both care for their town, but they have conflicting visions of what's best for the health of their culture. Their journey is about discovering their mutual respect for each other, and Reed does incorporate her viewpoints into his new philosophy as a leader. Paya has the kakariko position thrust upon her, and the Stable Trotters quest starts by making you think the leader was abandoned (but in reality, that quest isn't really about this leadership theme in the end). Edit to also add: King Dorephan and Impa also are interesting in the context of this theme, because they both choose to cede their positions to the next generation, albeit for different reasons (Dorephan because he knew Sidon was ready, and Impa because she felt she was needed elsewhere to best serve Hyrule)

The most obvious examples of this theme are in Zelda and Rauru, but I don't think I need to explain how they fit into the whole thing since their sacrifices and failures as leaders are at the core of both their main arcs.

Anyway, sorry for the text wall but your post actually helped me put this connection together and I found it to be a really cool recurring plot point for all of the individual stories, especially when you compare the different types of struggles and sacrifices unique to each leader.

Last edited:
I saw this earlier today and sorta reflected on it while watching my wife work through the finale, and while at first I sort of agreed that I couldn't point to any one major theme, it started to click for me: there is a major theme in all story quests and even some side content, and I find it compelling. Specifically, this game has a huge focus on the struggles of leadership, and not only what sacrifices leaders make, but the compromises and changes they'll make if it's what's best for their people.

A bunch of examples of this come to mind... Sidon's story mentions that he's sort of become over protective of the Zora to a point where he can't live in an authentic way anymore-- not because he lacks confidence as a leader, but because he fears losing those important to him again after what happened to Mipha.

Teba and Tulin both go through this in the Rito saga. Teba became chief somewhat unwillingly and feels burdened by his new responsibilities. One character mentions that Tulin is brash and runs himself ragged in his efforts to protect and help the Rito.

Reiju's isn't particularly deep, but it's straightforward-- she took personal responsibility for her powers not being strong enough to repel the Gibdo. This isn't explicit either, but I think it's cool that Reiju and Buliara are willing to let their customs go for a bit to allow Link to help them protect their village.

Yunobo I think is the biggest complaint I have with the story in terms of missed potential. He's still another person trying to adapt to new ways to benefit his people, but the whole mask thing could have been so much cooler. I was sort of hoping Yunobo's cowardice/lack of confidence in leadership would have gotten him corrupted with the pursuit of wealth... But no, it's just a bad guy mask, and he immediately turns back to normal. It's fine but, definitely a place I felt lacking.

More examples of the themes of the pains of leadership-- the Hateno quest line. Reed and Cece both care for their towns, and they have conflicting visions of what's best for the health of their culture. Their journey is about discovering their mutual respect for each other, and Reed does incorporate her viewpoints into his new philosophy as a leader. Paya has the kakariko position thrust upon her, and the Stable Trotters quest starts by making you think the leader was abandoned (but in reality, that quest isn't really about this leadership theme in the end).

The most obvious examples of this theme are in Zelda and Rauru, but I don't think I need to explain how they fit into the whole thing since their sacrifices and failures as leaders are at the core of both their main arcs.

Anyway, sorry for the text wall but your post actually helped me put this connection together and I found it to be a really cool recurring plot point for all of the individual stories, especially when you compare the different types of struggles and sacrificea unique to each leader.
That would also tie into the final Ganondorf fight, I thought it was weird that one of his lines was "that's what it means to rule" but if leadership is the central focus then it makes sense.

(By the way I just want to mention, I mistyped Ruto as "Rito" in my previous comment)
It's ok, I had to edit my post because I wrote "Vah Naboris was named after Ruto" :p
I believe this is not intending to tell us that everything in OoT happened in the TotK universe exactly as we saw in the game. Like I've mentioned before, as Disney/Lucasfilm is doing with Star Wars, I think it's pretty apparent that Nintendo is simply "decanonizing" all previous games from BotW/TotK, and drawing whatever they want from past games.

What this means is that, yes, a Princess Ruto fell in love with a Hylian swordsman and fought alongside Zelda. This doesn't necessarily mean everything in OoT is canon, just that there was a princess named Ruto who did the above stuff. She could have looked entirely different. She could have not even lived the same time as Nabooru, etc
I think it depends on the weight we are giving to "an afterthought". In Mario games, you have little references here and there to previous titles, but if you combine Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine you don't get an interesting connected story. (You barely get two stories in fact)

On the other hand, Zelda games often have a narrative spanning multiple games. Of course, they are Nintendo games, so gameplay comes first. Nobody at Nintendo said, "We have to give a melancholic ending to the Hero of Time saga. How? Well, let's flood Hyrule!". They came up with the gameplay concept of sailing first, and then they drafted the story. But they drafted a very nice story, which was improved by its connection to OoT.

If you then add TP to the mix, you have a nice trilogy about the HoT legacy. The Hero of Time goes back to the past, creating two universes. In one universe, he gets to live his childhood, but the as an adult, he laments he's been forgotten. In one universe, he's remembered as a hero, but since he's not there anymore to stop Ganon, Hyrule gets flooded. This is a nice narrative, spanning several Zelda titles, even with a bit of dramatic irony (if the Hero of Time is remembered, Hyrule gets flooded; if Hyrule survives, the Hero is forgotten).

Zelda clearly is not Mass Effect, but it's not Mario either. And even without an explicit link (eh) as in OoT - WW - TP, I think that little references here and there can improve the experience -- like knowing that the Ruto we met all those years ago in OoT is still remembered (it doesn't really matter if after TP or after ALTTP), or noticing that Talon and Malon in OoT are Tarin and Marin 2.0 (how? why?), or the towns from AoL getting their name from OoT sages. These sorts of little winks here and there can sometimes add a bit of context and history (even contradictory history!) to the fantasy world of Hyrule. If you understand the wink, you get a little extra. If you don't, you lose nothing.

But if every wink is a fake one, you feel mocked ("ah the town of Darunia? It was named after Darunia the Deku Milkman who lived 466 years after OoT"), you stop believing in Hyrule, and you question your long-term investment. In fact, I think one of the reasons the Zelda timeline is often laughed at is the three-way split after OoT. It doesn't make sense, it is convoluted, and it was the result of the developer team failing to reconcile ALTTP to the post-WW games (TP and FSA should have acted as a "bridge", but their story was rewritten and they resorted to Plan B). The Downfall branch was a desperate move born out of necessity, but it felt like actively mocking the player (Adult and Child branches, on the other hand, make sense and are fascinating).

Zelda should absolutely avoid the flowchart storytelling of MCU or modern Star Wars where you have to read/watch (and, above all, buy) 75 different products across 6 different media to get the full picture, and obviously, there's no need to fill a Zelda story with needless continuity references (which, thankfully, never happened). But at the same time, there's no need for a hard reboot, or to take the mean-spirited approach to outright retcon games out of the canon ("remember your beloved OoT? Never happened, this is the real story"), especially since Zelda canon is so loose and already full of little (and not-so-little) contradictions that you can tell any story and find a suitable placement in the timeline. Now, to be clear, I don't think TotK is retconning anything (the backstory is around the foundation of Hyrule, I think it fits nicely where the official timeline puts the foundation of Hyrule and even gives MC and OoT a little bit of historical context), but I can see why some fans such as @Mango can interpret some scenes in that way.

Last edited:

More examples of the themes of the pains of leadership-- the Hateno quest line. Reed and Cece both care for their towns, and they have conflicting visions of what's best for the health of their culture. Their journey is about discovering their mutual respect for each other, and Reed does incorporate her viewpoints into his new philosophy as a leader. Paya has the kakariko position thrust upon her, and the Stable Trotters quest starts by making you think the leader was abandoned (but in reality, that quest isn't really about this leadership theme in the end).

Anyway, sorry for the text wall but your post actually helped me put this connection together and I found it to be a really cool recurring plot point for all of the individual stories, especially when you compare the different types of struggles and sacrificea unique to each leader.
This is a great post that will make me appreciate the game more. Thank you.

The graphic on the Japanese website literally has a seperator between Breath of the Wild and the rest of the series where BotW is connected to nothing but Tears of the Kingdom. I'm not sure how that is supposed to proof that it's still connected. The interview snippets along the lines of "It's obviously the end, but the end of what?" are also just the same vague, non-committal answers they've always given in regards to BotW's placement which can be read in any way you want. The end of a new timeline would still be an end. But imo their answers mostly boil down to "we honestly didn't give it a thought in development", which I think underlines the notion that these games conceptionally simply aren't connected (and some of the things that could be read as explicit references in BotW feel to be retconned to be actually referring TotK instead, e.g. that Ruto thing).

timeline8tcl5.jpg

The graphic on the Japanese website literally has a seperator between Breath of the Wild and the rest of the series where BotW is connected to nothing but Tears of the Kingdom. I'm not sure how that is supposed to proof that it's still connected. The interview snippets along the lines of "It's obviously the end, but the end of what?" are also just the same vague, non-committal answers they've always given in regards to BotW's placement which can be read in any way you want. The end of a new timeline would still be an end. But imo their answers mostly boil down to "we honestly didn't give it a thought in development", which I think underlines the notion that these games conceptionally simply aren't connected (and some of the things that could be read as explicit references in BotW feel to be retconned to be actually referring TotK instead, e.g. that Ruto thing).

timeline8tcl5.jpg
I've always read that comment as "So long after everything else that it doesn't really matter".

As for them caring during the development, from Creating a Champion I'd say they clearly did. They even created some pieces of lore they wanted to include in-game but couldn't find the right place, like the Gerudo starting having pointed ears after OoT as they were ashamed of giving birth to Ganondorf.

In BotW, they also purposely (at least, I suppose) included "meaty" references only to events from SS and OoT. It looks like they wanted to create a distant sequel to OoT (in CaC, there are even some sketches of a Kokiri and Sheikah champion). Every other game might or might not have happened between OoT and BotW.

I don't think they intended to retcon the Ruto reference since in TotK, they double-downed on it with another Zora table. Of course, there's always the "another princess named Ruto" explanation, but it goes against Occam's razor (it literally multiplies the Rutos lol) and against the developer's intent. With that said, if the 2017 intents still hold, and if everything from CaC is still canon, remains an open question.

(Also, from that timeline it should be clear where TotK's "right after the Kingdom of Hyrule is founded" flashbacks take place :p)

Haven't finished the game yet, and i've ready here and there (nothing new from what i already know), and options are:
-Botw and TOTK have their own timeline
- This is the first Ganondorf and every thing that comes later is a spawn of the myasm.
-Hyrule went destroyed at the end of the timelines and this Ganondorf is the last one (doable, but it has less sense for me)

Last edited:
You don't have to fight all by yourself, you know! When we fight together...we're unstoppable!

I'm gonna make by ancestors proud today, Link! I'll fight be your side!

Link! We shall protect Hyrule together!

The Gerudo owe you for your help. You can count on me!

I will atone for my past failure. It's time to stop the Demon King!

I feel like Zelda is just as consistent as something like Metroid but I never see anyone mocked for caring about the Metroid Timeline.

@Gingerbread Man

I think it could be a retcon because of the use of the name Rauru, the scene where Ganondorf bows to the King, and the weird inclusion of Kotake and Konume, but I definitely don't want it to be. Also thank you for putting it into the words you did, the small connections and winks make the stories better imo, having them all ripped away or worse having each game confirmed non-canon just zaps soooo much out of the series, at least for me.

timeline8tcl5.jpg
If you read it they explain. It's at the end of a timeline they just aren't revealing at this time. Like I said before I think TotK clearly had a lot more thought put into timeline placement considering the events in the game's flashbacks.

I feel like Zelda is just as consistent as something like Metroid but I never see anyone mocked for caring about the Metroid Timeline.

Also thank you for putting it into the words you did, the small connections and winks make the stories better imo,
This is the part that confuses me because even if the games are a “reboot”… you’re still getting those connections and winks regardless? Like what’s the difference if the games are confirmed to be arbitrarily canon to eachother?

So much of TotK’s lore pays tribute to OoT. Stuff like elemental Sages, Rauru, Ganondorf’s whole rise to power is a love letter to OoT and, as a fan of the series, felt like huge “wink wink nudge nudge” moments and had me giddy that these things were being referenced and reinterpreted for a new generation. Even non-main story stuff like area names, lore tablets like the Zora ones, descriptions for past games armor… there is so much here for longtime fans of the series to chew on that it’s mind-boggling to me that none of that is valid to some of y’all unless they come out and officially place it on the timeline and clear up every “contradiction”

Zelda is at its most magical when the connections are more mythical and up for interpretation. It fits the simplistic, fairytale vibe of the series so much more. Example - OoT being presented as a more vague, ancient legend depicted by crude drawings at the beginning of WW was fucking awesome in-game connection. It fits the tone of the series so well, new fans can easily grasp it, and longtime fans can pick up on it. Taking that, and going “okay here’s a graphic of the official timeline - this is a possible alternate universe resulting from a three-branch timeline split” is just kinda… super inelegant comparatively to me. Like, I don’t hate it, but it’s kinda just wholly unnecessary and doesn’t add anything.

Also Metroid is like completely different lol. You are following one character’s story throughout clearly numbered mainline games that all directly impact each other storywise. The “timeline” is literally just… a series of games numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Not “the spirit of the bounty hunter reincarnated on Zebes again thousands of years later in a ruined Galaxy as a result of an alternate timeline split where she was killed by Ridley thousands years earlier and the space pirates won”

The only wrinkle is the Prime games and as far as I can tell, Metroid fans actually are not begging for Prime to be more connected to the rest of the series. Throwing all of them neatly between 1 and 2 so they can still put Metroids in the games is good enough for us. Even the series’ creators view Prime as essentially separate from the main series.

In fact if anything, I’ve seen more positive reception to the idea of rebooting the main series to allow for more story possibilities post-Dread. Hell, there’s even a significant amount of people who want Prime 4 to be free of the Sylux baggage that’s been teased for 15 years and want something completely new lore-wise for it.

Last edited:
Ever noticed how, in the end of trailer 2, Zelda’s lullaby is being played with the same instrument that is used in the dragon’s theme?

Foreshadowing!

I guess this might not be a popular suggestion, but I would have put all shrines only in the sky and the depths.

Hyrule surface is already interesting to explore and busy enough without them.
You have all these different biomes, towns, stables, ruins, biggest animal/monster variety, caves, wells, Koroks, Addison, monster camps, pirate ships, npcs in generell with the most varied sidequests and so on.
So a lot of diversity, which on the other hand the depths are lacking, imo.
It would be cool, if they had changed these Zonai shrines into something more tangible in the real world.
Like build them as temples into these massive rock formations in the depths, with an Ouroboros frame around a green glowing portal door that you can see in the dark from farther away.
Maybe each completed shrine reactivates an irrigation system for the lightroots in the area to brighten up the place.

You still could have the swirls on the surface. Have a small altar with a Zonai treasure chest there, or something.
Would be nice to find while exploring and could still function as a warp point. Also it would give you a hint that there is a shrine underground.

So, you go to the depths to come back up stronger.
Have the ones on the easy to reach sky islands to get going in the beginning, but later you have to make your way down.
That would make for a nice gameplay loop and challenge in my opinion.

Just fought the Gleock King (not sure of the english name, because off course, it's slightly different in french) in the Depths to get the Head part of the Twilight suit.

It was quite hard but I'm glad I had the sacred Gerudo Helmet to avoid every damage from the lightning because oh boi. Also, the Zonaite suit is so good looking, it is one of my favorite now.

Can somebody here tell me what's the name of the 152 shrines bonus suit in english ? For the love of me I can't find anything about it ^^;. I'm now hunting Hinoxes to upgrade it.

(BTW, the Zonai are called "Soneaux" in french and the pronunciation goes like : "So-naw", but in french, 99% of the time you say it like this : "So-néo" (like Néo from Matrix), it messed me so much ^o^; ).

I finished this today and enjoyed it - it never really captured my heart like BoTW did, but it’s hard to argue it doesn’t boast a lot of quality.

I can’t speak to the wider conversation about which continuity this may exist in or speculate about various timelines, but I was satisfied by the top level story.

It’s just a shame that, on the main path, similar scenes are recycled at the end of each temple and it takes ages before the plot starts to take shape.

It’s not often I’m critical of a game’s voice acting but I must say - I thought it was largely wonky. Patricia Summersett has spoken with great passion about her role as Zelda and I respect her contribution, but she left me cold here. Her accent never convinced and her general delivery feels wooden throughout.

I hate bringing this up and feel uncomfortable doing so, but I also can’t say it didn’t distract me at times. Sidon was mostly awful too. I’m just not sure what they were going for.

But that said, some scenes are beautiful, the way the art style, lighting and music combine at times to tug at your heartstrings is super memorable.

Getting the Master Sword was a special moment and one of my favourites in the franchise. The final battle from start to credits really hit the mark too. To end on Link diving through the sky to grab Zelda’s hand… lovely stuff. It brings the whole game full circle.

I still have memories to find so I don’t yet have the full picture, but I like a lot of what was done here In the broad strokes - even if the execution was hit or miss.

It was quite easy to write off BoTW’s story, but I think ToTK has some really cool stuff going on, so it’s a shame it feels a bit muddled. One of my favourite sequences was pursuing ’Zelda’ through the halls of Hyrule Castle, fighting off monsters along the way, before facing a squad of Phantom Ganons. To see the sages come in and help at the end and get some interaction with the big bad was really welcome.

It’s when you look at the game in it’s best storytelling moments, you feel frustrated that a lot of it feels so workman-like.

A few non story points I’d make…

Precariously making your way along a sequence of sky islands is a real joy. They never match up to the game’s opening area but they felt fresh nonetheless. I could have gone for more of them, or at least, bigger more unique clusters of them.

The Depths feel both mysterious and exciting, and dull and predictable. I applaud the ambition of the team and there is some cool stuff to find. It feels suffocating and claustrophobic by design. But it wore me down over time and a lot of it feels completely forgettable and anonymous.

This Hyrule has lost a bit of magic for me. There’s a joy to revisiting old areas and towns to see how they’ve changed and developed. You don’t often get the chance to do it in gaming - particularly in gigantic adventure games. And while the devs do an admirable job mixing things up, I think this game does demonstrate why you don’t see it. There’s no escaping it in my opinion, the world just doesn’t feel as fresh. It doesn’t help that the visual style of ToTK is BoTW wholesale, towns have similar layouts, there’s similar area themes at play and the soundscape feels really familiar.

Again, the devs have done a lot to try and make the world feel different - but it can’t quite match the thrill of discovering a completely new place.

I respect how open the game feels. It’s got an incredibly complex and sophisticated sandbox. It’s industry-leading in that respect and a real triumph. I do think the game has shed a little bit of BoTW’s elegance to get there, but it’s still impressive. Navigating menus, attaching stuff to other stuff, combining things to create stronger weapons, cooking, building things - the very act of playing the game is a little fiddly and annoying at times, so hopefully they look at streamlining stuff further in the future. Running around the final battle arena trying to get the right sage power to pop up on the screen felt a little sloppy and un-Nintendo like.

The game is undoubtedly ‘better‘ than BoTW in a lot of ways, but I also don’t feel like it quite comes together in an equally confident way. BoTW is more limited for sure, but its pieces fit together neatly. I don’t get the same impression with ToTK.

It’s a new game, set in an old world. I’m speaking about the game rather coldly, which I feel is unfair on it because there’s a lot I like. I look at it all and think yeah, this is a brilliant game with a lot of excellent, creative, top tier creative minds behind it.

But the game didn’t capture my heart and I’ll confess I’m glad to be moving on from it… for now at least… though I don’t know if I’ll ever come back.

@Phendrift

What are you talking about? I wasn't saying the game needs to be placed officially in a place in the timeline, I was just saying knowing that the past games actually happen adds a layer of history to the games. Finding a OOT Tunic and knowing the Hero of Time actually existed is better than just assuming it was some in-universe myth. It builds up the universe and adds so much more than just assuming nothing happened, especially when ToTKs story isn't even on par with past games stories and most certainly isn't worth throwing everything out for. References to other games become basic pandering if they're not actually canon. Something like the Biggorons Sword feels like there's a storied past to it, and it makes the world feel grander to know it's canon and actually existed vs it just being a some legend someone created a replica of down the line somewhere.

Take the Hero's Shade for example. He is the Hero of Time in ghost form. A hero who traveled across the land of Termina and healed restless souls with the Song of Healing, only to need his own restless soul healed by his descendant...and the quest to do so is kicked off by howling the Song of Healing. That alongside the imp that's guarding the Master Sword potentially being the Skull Kid from MM, adds sooooooooooo much to the game. If you ripped that out and just said "lol OOT was just a myth to TP" than now TP can only be enjoyed from the perspective of its story and its story alone. There's no greater world it fits into, no greater narrative, and that's boring. I like being immersed in my game universes, I like feeling like they're real and having a deep extensive history helps that. It might be easier to accept each game being completely separate (even tho none of them ever has been) if the games had overall better stories and was on the same level as like Xenoblade, but given BOTW and ToTK the stories are only getting worse with time.

Also the intro to WW...isn't vague? Like it's treating the events as obscured, but we know confidently without a doubt that it's canon and the actual history of the game. Ganondorf and the KORL never shut up about the Hero of Time, and you can literally find depictions of OOT sages. WW does a phenomenal job presenting the history as mythical while still confirming it's real, that's completely fundamentally different than what ToTK might possibly be doing.

Last edited:
It’ll be very interesting to see how Nintendo will handle Hyrule from here on out. I really don’t think they intend on reusing this map a third time, but I also find myself wondering how they can do a Hyrule again that is fully original. The Hyrule in BotW/TotK is without a doubt THE definitive Hyrule, fully realizing the kingdom and all its major locations with the full scale that all the older games were somewhat abstractly trying to represent, so to speak. How do you remix it enough so that it feels like an entirely new land to explore for future games? Hyrule has always changed between games, but mostly retained its major landmarks and overall structure (desert to the west; Death mountain to the northeast, etc). Even if they hypothetically just start from scratch and completely change the layout of its major areas/biomes, how do you do that without it in some ways still feel like retreading old ground? Like does it really make a different if the snowy area is in the west this time, the desert in the north, etc? I feel like there’s a particular challenge with designing a completely open world to make it feel fresh and brand new as opposed to an overworld that guides you in a more linear fashion, where there’s more obvious ways it could mix things up for the player.

With this in mind, I can see Nintendo going in one of these directions for the next mainline game:

1. Next game takes place in a non-Hyrule land. Probably the most obvious solution. With this, they are much less held to comparison to BotW/TotK’s overworld and are free to design something that’s wholly unique in the type of environment it gives us, and are probably less pressured to rival the same size and scope of Hyrule.

2. Wind Waker 2.0. Another popular option I see people mention is to do another water-focused game with islands and sailing, plus the prospect of underwater exploration. After TotK tackled sky, land, and underground, underwater seems like the next natural frontier to tackle. Underwater mechanics are without a doubt difficult to implement from a game design standpoint, not to mention having to rework the physics of everything when underwater, which I’m sure is why it’s been left out in these games, but if they make that their main focus in the next game, I’m sure they can deliver something extraordinary.

3. Hyrule, but in a vastly different time period that’s it’s nearly unrecognizable. Maybe a Hyrule that’s fully built up with sprawling cities? A futuristic Hyrule? (tbh I’m not sure how I feel about that idea). One thing I was thinking of is setting the next game in the Adult timeline after Spirit Tracks, in New Hyrule, and carrying over/expanding on the trains and steampunk elements. That could work.

It’s always fun to speculate on where they’ll take the series next, and this is perhaps the most “uncharted territory” the franchise has been in, so I’ve been thinking about this often.

It’ll be very interesting to see how Nintendo will handle Hyrule from here on out.

Definitely a very interesting question.

I think it has to be a new non-Hyrule land for the next installment for sure.
I wouldn't mind them reusing this Link & Zelda as well as the artstyle (and many assets) a third time.
Combine that with your second point and make Wind Waker 2.0.

Zelda wants to discover the world out there and they both sail into the horizon.
Thunderstorm, shipwreck, stranded on an island (tutorial island before Ultrahanding a boat). The usual (Link's Awakening).

Smaller and bigger islands connected by a huge sea. Would be cool, if we can dive to some extent without gear but further down you need a (very) customizeable submarine.
You could reuse a volcano, no problem I think. Mix it up with a tropical island feeling and you are good. Same with every other biome.
New villages, new enemies, new fauna+flora. I would gladly explore that again as long as the world building is great and surprising.
Islands would be so clever to have different biomes and themes without worrying too much about how it all comes together (the transitions between different biomes and climate zones in BotW/TotK can be a bit radical at times).

Make Zelda the main protagonist. New abilities, new weapons and fighting style, voice acting, a more fleshed out character.
We have to find Link this time. Spoiler: he is captured in an underground fortress in the deepest cave under the ocean floor.

I hope whatever they do they build off of the lore of BOTW/ToTK at least, and don't just start over again. Likewise I'd be fine if it's the same Link and Zelda tho id like them to illustrate how much they've aged. Like ToTK is presumably around 4-6 years after BOTW do they're currently 23ish, if the next hypothetical game is another jump in time than they're gonna need to look a little bit different. As for the world, I really just don't want another game set in the same overworld, I saw some article talking about a possible third game set in BOTWs overworld, and I just see zero ways they could make that feel fresh. Even if you set the game hundreds of years after BOTW/TotK it would still feel too similar, so I'd prefer to see them explore beyond the borders of Hyrule if they do reuse the same Link and Zelda.

Plus Yuunas, Sidon's fiancee, character profile says she comes from another domain, so there's clearly stuff and people beyond Hyrule, I think it would be really cool to explore a whole new land the exists far away from Hyrule, but could still have ties back, like maybe you could find texts left by people who fled Hyrule during the Calamity, or even Zonai and Sheikah ruins that existed outside of Hyrule. Plus if it's a whole new landmass or sea or whatever everything is sorta fair game to be literally anywhere.

Was clearing out my screenshots and thought I'd post a few from the big finale. What a moment! I'm going to tag them in the off chance someone taps this thread by mistake and sees images of the ending lol.

wmN4QFN.jpg

v72B0gq.jpg

MMGq5Yz.jpg

lNbh8xL.jpg

O1PrBOK.jpg

qlS2DK4.gif

fwiw I think the sages have masks and go unnamed because they didn't want them to completely overshadow the present day characters again. some of them need all the help they can (yunobo) if you are to take them seriously

Was clearing out my screenshots and thought I'd post a few from the big finale. What a moment! I'm going to tag them in the off chance someone taps this thread by mistake and sees images of the ending lol.

wmN4QFN.jpg

v72B0gq.jpg

MMGq5Yz.jpg

lNbh8xL.jpg

O1PrBOK.jpg

qlS2DK4.gif
Didn't even upload a 4K screenshot of the handholding, you absolute failure!

Has anyone finished the game without the Master Sword? Because I’m very curious how that effects the ending.

I think the fact that people are having arguments on what’s canon and what isn’t in the BOTW/TOTK duology puts the kibosh on that idea tbh

Back
Top Bottom