• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is fierce deity not tied to an amiibo?
Well, considering I'm wearing it and don't have any amiibo... don't see how it can be!
are you going to actually buy this game? sorry but I dunno how I feel about people on this site pirating
I'm not "going to" buy this game. I have bought this game. Nintendo already has my money. I have bought every Zelda game since LoZ on the NES at least twice with the exception of the multiplayer ones. When Switch 2 comes out I'll probably buy TotK - again.

And I'd ask you to please stop complaining and immediately deleting your posts, just leave them up if that's how you feel. This is the spoiler thread. Not a piracy thread, a spoiler thread.

More impressions: Played from 6pm to 12am last night. Pretty much my first good stretch of play since the game world was opened up to me and the "main quest" added to my logbook.

Amazingly, that whole entire time was just spent in the BotW overworld. No sky islands, no depths. Went north of Hyrule to the Korok forest (which I couldn't enter), went from there to the Gerudo village and started picking up the main quest there, beat the boss at the top of depth mountain to open up the chasm there, and while I think there's a dungeon down there I didn't have any fire resistance potions, so I sailed down to Akkala and ran around doing shrines.

I think I've done 16 shrines now, unlocked 4 towers.

One thing has become clear - the previews were not misleading - this game is all about ultrahand, and building / fusing stuff. That IS the game. Every shrine is like "here's an obstacle and some parts, build something to get by it". I even came across a shrine that took all your gear and was called "Proving Grounds - the Hunt". Sweet, I thought, like an Eventide Island shrine. Of course, they wanted you to build a battle-bot to beat it. Disappointing. Death mountain is just vehicles and mine carts upon vehicles and mine carts. I was not having fun there. How much you enjoy ultrahand is going to play a huge, huge part in how much you enjoy this game.

Running around Akkala felt amazingly like doing the same in BotW - it's the least changed region so far as far as I can tell. Whereas there's many places where you really can't tell that it's the same map at all. I got a side quest to find the ancient bones - I was like "I've done this sidequest 4 times in BotW for fuck's sake, I know where that is" and then the map marker was added exactly where it should be. No doubt something will have changed over there but it was jarring to be playing a sequel and get the same sidequest to go to the same place in the same map.

Every so often you DO get that joy of exploration. As I went north of Hyrule castle I saw a well in a ruin. I jumped in for fun... and ended up at this large underground lake. Was NOT expecting that. Had to build (ugh) a boat to cross the lake, and found a hidden shrine with a fire like-like guarding in. Was just really, really cool. Later I stumbled into a Yiga hideout and died 10 times in a row trying to beat the boss there with three hearts (lol). Everywhere I've gone I've felt severely underpowered - I think the game wants you to go to the Rito village or Kakariko to start. Later I jumped in another well in Akkala, and there was this woman down there who goes "Oh, another well enthusiast!" I lol'd. Classic Zelda. There's a sidequest now to find them all.

I went to the Skull Island in Akkala and got to the top of that long tower-like structure. Here, it's hollow. Fell down it and at the bottom was a Stallnox boss fight. The reward for beating it? The fucking Fierce Diety Mask. Couldn't believe it - that's the first piece of gear I've found and it's an incredible one.

After that I went and entered death mountain. Unfortunately the whole thing seems to be driving vehicles around again, now over lava and in the dark. The vehicles are NOT fun to control. But I can see some kind of structure in the distance I'm hoping is a temple. Having Yunobo around to help with enemies is huge right now.

Again, despite negative impressions, whenever I'm not building things I'm pretty much having a blast. I think I'll always love BotW more than this game, and I think this game will always be a disappointment to me for not being what I want it to be, but even with all that taken into account I feel like the worst you could give it is 9.5 lol. The gameplay is just too, too strong.
Nice keep the impressions coming. I don't think building will bother me much and I think you still have lots of new content to get to. From the small bit of spoilers I've seen the game just keeps getting bigger and more to do. But no matter what this game is very similar to BotW.

I just hope people will realize there's only so much that can gleaned from data mining and speculation. Not all dungeons will work the same way, not all shrines will work the same way, not all islands will work the same way. With a game that has so many unconventional gameplay scenarios and emergent gameplay you can't really look at data without context and jump to too many conclusions without running the risk of being completely off base.

I understand the desire to want to know what kind of experience this game has to offer, but we really won't know fully until we play the game for ourselves.

More impressions: Played from 6pm to 12am last night. Pretty much my first good stretch of play since the game world was opened up to me and the "main quest" added to my logbook.

Amazingly, that whole entire time was just spent in the BotW overworld. No sky islands, no depths. Went north of Hyrule to the Korok forest (which I couldn't enter), went from there to the Gerudo village and started picking up the main quest there, beat the boss at the top of depth mountain to open up the chasm there, and while I think there's a dungeon down there I didn't have any fire resistance potions, so I sailed down to Akkala and ran around doing shrines.

One thing has become clear - the previews were not misleading - this game is all about ultrahand, and building / fusing stuff. That IS the game. Every shrine is like "here's an obstacle and some parts, build something to get by it". I even came across a shrine that took all your gear and was called "Proving Grounds - the Hunt". Sweet, I thought, like an Eventide Island shrine. Of course, they wanted you to build a battle-bot to beat it. Disappointing. Death mountain is just vehicles and mine carts upon vehicles and mine carts. I was not having fun there. How much you enjoy ultrahand is going to play a huge, huge part in how much you enjoy this game.

Running around Akkala felt amazingly like doing the same in BotW - it's the least changed region so far as far as I can tell. Whereas there's many places where you really can't tell that it's the same map at all. I got a side quest to find the ancient bones - I was like "I've done this sidequest 4 times in BotW for fuck's sake, I know where that is" and then the map marker was added exactly where it should be. No doubt something will have changed over there but it was jarring to be playing a sequel and get the same sidequest to go to the same place in the same map.

Every so often you DO get that joy of exploration. As I went north of Hyrule castle I saw a well in a ruin. I jumped in for fun... and ended up at this large underground lake. Was NOT expecting that. Had to build (ugh) a boat to cross the lake, and found a hidden shrine with a fire like-like guarding in. Was just really, really cool. Later I stumbled into a Yiga hideout and died 10 times in a row trying to beat the boss there with three hearts (lol). Everywhere I've gone I've felt severely underpowered - I think the game wants you to go to the Rito village or Kakariko to start. Later I jumped in another well in Akkala, and there was this woman down there who goes "Oh, another well enthusiast!" I lol'd. Classic Zelda. There's a sidequest now to find them all.

I went to the Skull Island in Akkala and got to the top of that long tower-like structure. Here, it's hollow. Fell down it and at the bottom was a Stallnox boss fight. The reward for beating it? The fucking Fierce Diety Mask. Couldn't believe it - that's the first piece of gear I've found and it's an incredible one.

After that I went and entered death mountain. Unfortunately the whole thing seems to be driving vehicles around again, now over lava and in the dark. The vehicles are NOT fun to control. But I can see some kind of structure in the distance I'm hoping is a temple. Having Yunobo around to help with enemies is huge right now.

Again, despite negative impressions, whenever I'm not building things I'm pretty much having a blast. I think I'll always love BotW more than this game, and I think this game will always be a disappointment to me for not being what I want it to be, but even with all that taken into account I feel like the worst you could give it is 9.5 lol. The gameplay is just too, too strong.

the building stuff is my only real concern at this point

from the looks of things everything I didn't like about BotW should be at least tolerable(stuff like breakable weapons with the fuse system mitigating it now) if not outright fixed for me(dungeons, amount of things to do in general) but the whole designing vehicles aspect just doesn't sound very fun to me

at least there's the autobuild thing eventually I suppose, hopefully eventually it won't really matter much if I don't enjoy that part

I'm not "going to" buy this game. I have bought this game. Nintendo already has my money. I have bought every Zelda game since LoZ on the NES at least twice with the exception of the multiplayer ones. When Switch 2 comes out I'll probably buy TotK - again.

And I'd ask you to please stop complaining and immediately deleting your posts, just leave them up if that's how you feel. This is the spoiler thread. Not a piracy thread, a spoiler thread.

This will be my only take on this topic in this thread but you're basically admitting to piracy. It really doesn't matter what your justification is; philosophically, you may make an argument that some people might even agree with that you're justified in your actions, but at the end of the day it's piracy, which isn't legal and probably something this forum doesn't want to be seen as supporting.

So even if you disagree, please understand where others are coming from.

I'm still VERY divided on members here playing atm....
I'm not. I don't think people should be playing right now. For some reason datamining and that stuff doesn't bug me, but people talking about playing it does. Emulate your heart out once the game is released.

This will be my only take on this topic in this thread but you're basically admitting to piracy. It really doesn't matter what your justification is; philosophically, you may make an argument that some people might even agree with that you're justified in your actions, but at the end of the day it's piracy, which isn't legal and probably something this forum doesn't want to be seen as supporting.

We're literally watching and cheering on people committing piracy right now. That's the whole purpose of this thread. We're not the FBI lol

Admission of piracy is against the site rules and we do not condone such posts. For this, you have been banned for two weeks. - Totofogo, Irene, PixelKnight, VolcanicDynamo, Barely Able

I do understand that position and am sympathetic to it. If I'm asked to stop posting by mods I'll have no problem with that at all.

My circumstances are a little unique -
a) I live in a small Caribbean nation that has no digital/IT laws whatsoever
b) Nintendo does not support this jurisdiction at all, can't so much as download their apps to my phone, let alone get my joycons repaired
c) Physical game delivery takes over a month from the warehouse in Florida
d) I have, indeed, bought the game, and now I wait

In normal circumstances - like when I lived in Europe or the US - I'd be right with that other guy. I get it. But at the same time coming into this thread - where realistically ALL leaks are coming from someone breaking the rules - and being upset at someone breaking the rules doesn't make sense to me.

Hey folks. Let's try to keep the conversation on topic here. A gentle reminder to use the Report feature to submit content for moderator review, and the Mod Feedback thread for any questions or recommendations you have regarding moderation policies.

Its so funny still seeing you here after you said mulitple times that you're peacing out. Its funny because i've said to myself im peacing out even more times than you have. Yet, im still here. I just cant look away-_-
It's SO hard to look away hahaha, love that we're in solidarity here 😂 I don't want any story stuff so I'm steering clear of most spoiler tags lol

Do we know the definitive number of dungeons in game, or at least a floor and ceiling for # of main dungeons? That's all I want to know anymore.
Based on streamers, it appears that the Zonai facility in the sky and the spirit temple in the underground are tied to the same quest line. So it’s looking likely that it is 4 Elemental Sages, Hyrule Castle, Spirit Temple, and possibly Ganondorf’s castle.

It's SO hard to look away hahaha, love that we're in solidarity here 😂 I don't want any story stuff so I'm steering clear of most spoiler tags lol
I don’t click on any spoiler tags, I’m just here for the korok agenda

seriosly tho they got hard shafted in botw and they look to have the same happen to them in totk

Do we know the definitive number of dungeons in game, or at least a floor and ceiling for # of main dungeons? That's all I want to know anymore.
Floor is 6 but there's some disagreement about whether all of them can be considered "proper" dungeons. But afaik we don't know what happens after the most recently discovered dungeon-like environment.

You need to stop what you're doing and listen to Ganondorf's theme... I can't stop thinking about it
Is that just his general theme or one of his final boss themes? I heard it and well, yeah. Really enjoyed it. XD

I’ve just quickly skimmed through this thread and need a little clarification, so it seems there are dungeons, but what are the rewards for finishing them as I’m assuming you don’t get items as I can’t see how they would work in an open world? And the bosses are they BOTW style bosses which you fight just like regular enemies or are they proper Zelda style bosses?

I’ve just quickly skimmed through this thread and need a little clarification, so it seems there are dungeons, but what are the rewards for finishing them as I’m assuming you don’t get items as I can’t see how they would work in an open world? And the bosses are they BOTW style bosses which you fight just like regular enemies or i they proper Zelda style bosses?
I mean defining "proper zelda boss" is a weird thing because there have been a large variety of way they have been fought in the past games

if you mean they look more distinct than the blights yes

Last edited:
A friend of mine is so tired of me because everytime I tell him something new about the game I promise to stop looking for more information, but I keep coming with more news again and again:oops:

I’ve just quickly skimmed through this thread and need a little clarification, so it seems there are dungeons, but what are the rewards for finishing them as I’m assuming you don’t get items as I can’t see how they would work in an open world? And the bosses are they BOTW style bosses which you fight just like regular enemies or are they proper Zelda style bosses?

I only watched someone stream one of the dungeons but there's companions for the dungeons that have abilities and when you beat the dungeon you unlock their ability to use anywhere, the dungeon I watched someone beat also gave you a heart container, the bosses are classic style yes, the one I saw had two phases and needed 3 hits in each phase

I mean defining "proper zelda boss" is a weird thing because there have been a large variety of way they have been fought in the past games
I was going to try and define ‘proper Zelda bosses’ but I gave up and hoped people would get what I meant lol. Basically like the bosses in the 3d Zeldas and 2d ones as well I suppose. Where the enemies are screen filling and have very scripted moves followed by them exposing a weak point which you must expose with a specific item/action.
Wheres as BOTW it was just like fighting a regular bad guy.

I only watched someone stream one of the dungeons but there's companions for the dungeons that have abilities and when you beat the dungeon you unlock their ability to use anywhere, the dungeon I watched someone beat also gave you a heart container, the bosses are classic style yes, the one I saw had two phases and needed 3 hits in each phase
My man! You have just made me very very happy. I love Zelda but hate BOTW (and all open worlds games) I was already back in as the building stuff looks like it will give me some decent puzzles to solve, but now I’m actually excited!

I was going to try and define ‘proper Zelda bosses’ but I gave up and hoped people would get what I meant lol. Basically like the bosses in the 3d Zeldas and 2d ones as well I suppose. Where the enemies are screen filling and have very scripted moves followed by them exposing a weak point which you must expose with a specific item/action.
Wheres as BOTW it was just like fighting a regular bad guy.
I think a middle ground is good, imo using items to open up to hit is lame, bosses are best designed when there are a variety of options to defeat them

Based on streamers, it appears that the Zonai facility in the sky and the spirit temple in the underground are tied to the same quest line. So it’s looking likely that it is 4 Elemental Sages, Hyrule Castle, Spirit Temple, and possibly Ganondorf’s castle.
So interesting! And correct me if I'm wrong, these 6 dungeons (wind, water, fire, electric, spirit/zonai, and Hyrule Castle) are all confirmed with the final dungeon still to be discovered? So, sounds like 7?

So curious whether the Zonai part of the Spirit Temple will count as its own dungeon in fans' eyes, despite being tied to the same questline. Based on what you've seen, does the Zonai part feel more like a leadup to a temple like any of the elemental dungeon preludes, or is it its own distinctly themed location?

So interesting! And correct me if I'm wrong, these 6 dungeons (wind, water, fire, electric, spirit/zonai, and Hyrule Castle) are all confirmed with the final dungeon still to be discovered? So, sounds like 7?

So curious whether the Zonai part of the Spirit Temple will count as its own dungeon in fans' eyes, despite being tied to the same questline. Based on what you've seen, does the Zonai part feel more like a leadup to a temple like any of the elemental dungeon preludes, or is it its own distinctly themed location?
the lead up and Zonai facility is the meat of the quest, Spirit Temple itself seems less meaty. Kind of an inversion, from what I understand? I imagine the concencus will be that the facility is the dungeon, not the spirit temple

Admission of piracy is against the site rules and we do not condone such posts. For this, you have been banned for two weeks. - Totofogo, Irene, PixelKnight, VolcanicDynamo, Barely Able
You can change your post back to what it was, it’s not being moderated.

Cool, was afraid it was not allowed here. But yeah, the game plays really nice here. The hard part now is to decide to continue playing or wait for official release. Just some frame dips here and there.

"Breath of the Wild was old school in letting Link take on Calamity Ganon right at the start of the game if players decide to."

Ah yes. That thing that no previous Zelda game ever let you do. Very old school.
In all fairness, they never specify the zelda series. They may mean nes/snes games generally or something

AreQlpT.png

Can't believe the ARMS sequel is almost here! /s

No but seriously this is great!

the lead up and Zonai facility is the meat of the quest, Spirit Temple itself seems less meaty. Kind of an inversion, from what I understand? I imagine the concencus will be that the facility is the dungeon, not the spirit temple
Very cool, thanks. Sounds like this is quite the layered single dungeon questline.
A distinct leadup with two unique locales? Count me all the way in.

Very cool, thanks. Sounds like this is quite the layered single dungeon questline.
A distinct leadup with two unique locales? Count me all the way in.
In general the lead up to the dungeons seems massively improved. I’m just following reactions, but there’s been multiple comments like “this is basically a dungeon, why hasn’t the dungeon intro popped up on the screen?” Maybe others who watched can give more insight tho

In general the lead up to the dungeons seems massively improved. I’m just following reactions, but there’s been multiple comments like “this is basically a dungeon, why hasn’t the dungeon intro popped up on the screen?” Maybe others who watched can give more insight tho
Honestly, those types of comments are all I want to hear without getting too spoilery. Amazing!

AreQlpT.png

Can't believe the ARMS sequel is almost here! /s

No but seriously this is great!
It's great that the dungeons of this game give abilities again. Really increases the amount of cool stuff to find

Also, yeah it's hilarious that one of them is an ARMS tribute

Amazingly, that whole entire time was just spent in the BotW overworld. No sky islands, no depths. Went north of Hyrule to the Korok forest (which I couldn't enter), went from there to the Goron village and started picking up the main quest there, beat the boss at the top of death mountain to open up the chasm there, and while I think there's a dungeon down there I didn't have any fire resistance potions, so I sailed down to Akkala and ran around doing shrines.

The game has incredible amount of decent content. More you play more you are gonna impressed.

Do we know who's credited for music yet? I assume it's still led by Manaka Kataoka, but I'm mildly curious if any of the other composers have swapped out. I'd be kind of surprised if Hajime Wakai worked on both this and Pikmin 4 given their proximity, for instance.

Also, are Guardians still in the game? I can't recall seeing any in footage, and they weren't "supposed" to be evil lore-wise, so I'm wondering if maybe they're no longer enemies under Ganon's control.

Lastly, for those who have seen the Gerudo area:
do the Gibdos scream, or are they an entirely new take with no connection to the Redead-like Gibdos from past 3D Zeldas?
In all fairness, they never specify the zelda series. They may mean nes/snes games generally or something
Are there any games that work like this besides Breath of the Wild? "Deliberately allowing players to skip the entire game" seems like a pretty dumb idea that anyone else would generally reject. Not that I can really blame them too much for calling it retro, since the whole narrative of Breath of the Wild being inspired by NES Zelda tends to obscure the fact that it's... not really anything like NES Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom