• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell, this puts other games on more powerful systems to shame. Who needs an SSD?

Anyways,

The streamer is currently doing the lead up to the Rito dungeon. You get Tulin as a companion who's able to summon a gust of wind like a horizontal Revali's Gale (skill on a slight cooldown, activated with the A button). The leadup is a series of Sky Islands that, in all honesty, is practically a dungeon itself. Or a 3D Platforming level

The fact that the companions get unique abilities that you're able to use on command kinda means dungeon items are back, in a way
is there a set order or do you do the dungeons in any order you want?

Wait WHAT

Does this mean the tower system underground allows for seamless transition to the land, much like how the land merges seamlessly with the sky due to the land towers catapulting Link into the air? How does travel to the underground work?

The shadow world? Is this just what we're calling the depths aka the underground or has something else been discovered?

I really think I have to bounce out of this thread in a few. I don't even want to see a dungeon interior or any unique enemies/bosses/puzzles etc. in the underground.
There are pits in the world called Chasms (the "malice pits" we've seen in some trailers), that take you to the depths. You basically fall down them

There isn't any convenient way to get above ground seamlessly, but you can do it (the chasm the leaker went down even had a convenient hot air balloon for that very purpose)

is there a set order or do you do the dungeons in any order you want?
Judging by the map, at least the first four can be done at any point. There are indications of at least one and maybe 2 other dungeons, so if that's the case those might be only accessible after

Hell, this puts other games on more powerful systems to shame. Who needs an SSD?

Anyways,

The streamer is currently doing the lead up to the Rito dungeon. You get Tulin as a companion who's able to summon a gust of wind like a horizontal Revali's Gale (skill on a slight cooldown, activated with the A button). The leadup is a series of Sky Islands that, in all honesty, is practically a dungeon itself. Or a 3D Platforming level

The fact that the companions get unique abilities that you're able to use on command kinda means dungeon items are back, in a way
What streamer?

I gotta leave this. I'm killing myself scrolling through this. Literally dying inside how am I going to make it the next 11 days. I've spoiled a few things for myself but nothing big story-wise, better leave before I end up looking at something I'll regret.

I think we can all safely agree that this is, by far, the biggest game Nintendo has ever made. I can see why they priced it at $70 now, god damn.

There are pits in the world called Chasms (the "malice pits" we've seen in some trailers), that take you to the depths. You basically fall down them

There isn't any convenient way to get above ground seamlessly, but you can do it (the chasm the leaker went down even had a convenient hot air balloon for that very purpose)
Unbelievable that it's seamless/no loading. And I imagine the towers act just as they do on land, to serve as fast-travel points in the depths?

Can't believe this game exists. I'm happy to know these details without watching a lick of footage.

Wait WHAT

Does this mean the tower system underground allows for seamless transition to the land, much like how the land merges seamlessly with the sky due to the land towers catapulting Link into the air? How does travel to the underground work?

The shadow world? Is this just what we're calling the depths aka the underground or has something else been discovered?

I really think I have to bounce out of this thread in a few. I don't even want to see a dungeon interior or any unique enemies/bosses/puzzles etc. in the underground.
It's the underground. I just called it shadow world.

Can't post the name since it's a slur, but let me know if you want me to DM it to you. If you're familiar with previous Nintendo leak streams like Mario Odyssey or Pokemon SwSh/SV, it's the same guy
Ohhhhh. Nevermind then, I can wait for other streamers so I'm not giving that jackass the attention.

This game is a prime example of why Nintendo needs strong hardware. It’s crazy what the Zelda team is able to do with this weak hardware. Imagine them on PS4 Pro hardware and what they could do with that extra power.

Thank you to everyone who gave me some incredibly exciting context on exploration and dungeons without showing me a single lick of in-game footage :) With that, I am bowing out of this thread and putting it on ignore until launch. It's the only way I'll survive the next 11 days lol. It's been a pleasure hyping with y'all, and it's comforting to know that Tears of the Kingdom is going to fiercely compete for its status as the first 11/10 game!

This game is a prime example of why Nintendo needs strong hardware. It’s crazy what the Zelda team is able to do with this weak hardware. Imagine them on PS4 Pro hardware and what they could do with that extra power.
It would probably be the same game but run better, less pop in, stable 60 FPS, even more better draw distance. I forgot to add 1080p resolution, because even with better hardware I really doubt Nintendo would be chasing 4k at the moment.

I think we can all safely agree that this is, by far, the biggest game Nintendo has ever made. I can see why they priced it at $70 now, god damn.
Is it really, though? Planet Mira of Xenoblade Chronicles X is currently the largest Nintendo game world, even compared to BotW’s Hyrule, so I wonder if TotK’s expanded Hyrule will actually manage to top Mira in size or not. (That’s not to doubt the scope of TotK at all, of course; I’m just genuinely curious if it truly manages to be bigger than XCX’s world or not!)

It would probably be the same game but run better, less pop in, stable 60 FPS, even more better draw distance. I forgot to add 1080p resolution, because even with better hardware I really doubt Nintendo would be chasing 4k at the moment.
For the next game? I imagine(if they continue the open world template) they’ll get bigger with the map layout and add in more crazy mechanics.

Is it actually, though? Planet Mira of Xenoblade Chronicles X is currently the largest Nintendo game world, even compared to BotW’s Hyrule, so I wonder if TotK’s expanded Hyrule will actually manage to top Mira in size or not. (That’s not to doubt the scope of TotK at all, of course; I’m just genuinely curious if it truly manages to be bigger than XCX’s world or not!)
Out of idle curiosity

Would doubling the size of BoTW's map do the trick?

Quoted by: SNP
Is it really, though? Planet Mira of Xenoblade Chronicles X is currently the largest Nintendo game world, even compared to BotW’s Hyrule, so I wonder if TotK’s expanded Hyrule will actually manage to top Mira in size or not. (That’s not to doubt the scope of TotK at all, of course; I’m just genuinely curious if it truly manages to be bigger than XCX’s world or not!)
I didn't feel like it was as large because the mechs were so fast

I do agree with you though, so I hope you don't take my comment negatively. I would love if BotW had launched on PS4 Pro hardware but was still the same game it is now just better, again 1080p resolution, 60 fps, even better draw distance and less pop in.

If they had even slightly hinted at this no one would have any doubts about the map re-use, and it doesn't spoil anything. Just baffling.
I mean, they did straight up show us a shot of the underground, and later a commercial with a Z axis confirming that it was, indeed, underground

I can understand wanting to keep the fact that that underground is so big a secret

Out of idle curiosity

Would doubling the size of BoTW's map do the trick?

I checked some website and they claimed Xeno X’s map size was probably 10 times BoTW.

But then I haven’t played Xeno X yet, I don’t know how much of the map is explorable, is it seamless or several map (like other Xenoblade game), or it gonna be like some other openworld where mountain and thing will stop you from going.

I checked some website and they claimed Xeno X’s map size was probably 10 times BoTW.

But then I haven’t played Xeno X yet, I don’t know how much of the map is explorable, is it seamless or several map (like other Xenoblade game), or it gonna be like some other openworld where mountain and thing will stop you from going.
are they including the empty ocean in that? Because there is quite alot of empty ocean in XBX but yes it is seamless

Hm ok I guess XCX probably still wins then

as someone that didn't like BotW i'm fairly hyped for this at this point

still want to see what the dungeons actually look like and how much story there actually is in the present though

I mean, they did straight up show us a shot of the underground, and later a commercial with a Z axis confirming that it was, indeed, underground
With zero context as to the scope of it.

I can understand wanting to keep the fact that that underground is so big a secret
Why? I seriously don't get it. What's the benefit of not saying something like "the amount of new explorable areas is <rough scale>" and putting to rest the single biggest point of apprehension about the game?

Finally:
Unique dungeon battle music confirmed
image.png

It's dungeon time

This is a big boat

Also there's unique battle music

With zero context as to the scope of it.

Why? I seriously don't get it. What's the benefit of not saying something like "the amount of new exploitable areas is <rough scale>" and putting to rest the single biggest point of apprehension about the game?
Cause there's no apprehension toward this game beyond Nintendo enthusiasts forums ^^

Yeah I'm out. Hitting the ignore forreal this time.

Guess I won't be back until the review thread and that is gonna be a fun one to lurk in 👀

Already suspected, but now confirmed that the dungeons follow the Divine Beast structure. 5 locks that can be tackled in seemingly any order

I don't think many people will care all that much now that there's strong theming, sizeable dungeons, and kinda even dungeon items, but the hard core dungeon purists will take the L here

There's no way it's 10 times bigger than BOTW. X's map feels about as big honestly, maybe even less (even if it is indeed a bit bigger).

It's seamless but way less organic than BOTW. There's the plain biome, the sand biome, the poison/jungle biome, the lava biome... And it's also kinda divided into big islands. Most of the "islands" actually form a continent but you can't really enter them from any point. Like, from the plain biome, you can only enter the jungle biome from one point.
In pure Xenoblade fashion, it's very MMOish in its design.
So I do believe X's map is probably a bit bigger, but BOTW feels bigger because it's more organic and realistic.

There's no way it's 10 times bigger than BOTW. X's map feels about as big honestly, maybe even less (even if it is indeed a bit bigger).

It's seamless but way less organic than BOTW. There's the plain biome, the sand biome, the poison/jungle biome, the lava biome... And it's also kinda divided into big islands. Most of the "islands" actually form a continent but you can't really enter them from any point. Like, from the plain biome, you can only enter the jungle biome from one point.
In pure Xenoblade fashion, it's very MMOish in its design.
So I do believe X's map is probably a bit bigger, but BOTW feels bigger because it's more organic and realistic.
it's only 14 sq mi bigger not counting the empty water

Last edited:
Already suspected, but now confirmed that the dungeons follow the Divine Beast structure. 5 locks that can be tackled in seemingly any order

I don't think many people will care all that much now that there's strong theming, sizeable dungeons, and kinda even dungeon items, but the hard core dungeon purists will take the L here
I am taking the L here haha

I'll take it! The size and aesthetic variety were all I really needed tbh. Should lead to each dungeon feeling different, even if the structure itself is the same. Divine Beasts just felt too short and too samey.

I'll take it! The size and aesthetic variety were all I really needed tbh. Should lead to each dungeon feeling different, even if the structure itself is the same. Divine Beasts just felt too short and too samey.
Yep, I think most people will be pretty damn happy with this

I get the appeal of linear dungeons and am still kinda sad that they're gone, but I'm very very happy with what I've seen here. And the lead up to this dungeon was still pretty linear so it's not like linear aspects aren't present in any form

Bosses?

Yep I think I’ve seen enough vague stuff to be satisfied at this point, I’m bowing out before I cop some actual spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom