• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, my pessimistic side also tells me that maybe they don’t have anything new or outstanding to show us, but 🤷‍♂️
They definitely do, every clip so far has been super curated. Only like 2 sky island locations, one of which has been shown twice. Only 2 new mechanics and 2 “runes”, again one of them being shown twice.

Of course, my pessimistic side also tells me that maybe they don’t have anything new or outstanding to show us, but 🤷‍♂️
But I totally get it, going this long without so much as some real footage is frustrating. I would have appreciated something akin to the game awards 2016 gameplay. My best guess is that there are unavoidable plot spoilers and they want to wait until we’re closer.

Only a bit longer…

They've barely shown underground areas past the first teaser and that cave in the second one with the ceiling enemy, despite the patent descriptions for surface phasing giving such examples.
Therefore, for example, the passing-through movement allows the player character to quickly escape from an underground cave or quickly move onto a roof from the inside of a building.

Moreover, for example, when there is a cave beneath a building where the player character cannot enter because the entrance door is locked, the passing-through movement allows the player character to enter the building from the cave. Thus, the passing-through movement offers unprecedented moving methods, thereby enhancing strategic characteristics of the game.
Is patent text a guarantee of in-game scenarios? No, but the specificity of these puzzle solving use-cases, the underground network in the first teaser, that cave in Faron in the third teaser, and the Malice rising up from the ground in all the latest maps tell me there's an entire world they haven't shown to us that could be a contrast to the 'heavenly' sky.

They've barely shown underground areas past the first teaser and that cave in the second one with the ceiling enemy, despite the patent descriptions for surface phasing giving such examples.

Is patent text a guarantee of in-game scenarios? No, but the specificity of these puzzle solving use-cases, the underground network in the first teaser, that cave in Faron in the third teaser, and the Malice rising up from the ground in all the latest maps tell me there's an entire world they haven't shown to us that could be a contrast to the 'heavenly' sky.
I'd be really cool if we could dive from the sky and not land on the ground, but phase through the ground without stopping and go underground.

With Zeltik's video, I noticed the draw distance in TOTK is also way better. There's less of this fog/dust thing happening and you can see pretty clearly into the distance.

With Zeltik's video, I noticed the draw distance in TOTK is also way better. There's less of this fog/dust thing happening and you can see pretty clearly into the distance.

Is that true? At a glance I thought they were pretty similar, and I don’t recall it being pointed out in the earliest trailers. Could be misremembering as they were mostly focused on looking for notable changes in the landscape

Is that true? At a glance I thought they were pretty similar, and I don’t recall it being pointed out in the earliest trailers. Could be misremembering as they were mostly focused on looking for notable changes in the landscape
Ignore me--it's pretty circumstantial whether or not it is foggy or dusty at any given point. Seems it just depends on what's going on. However I will say on some comparisons TOTK seems to have less pop-in, i.e. far away objects aren't as blob-y.

i don't remember if we've ever talked about the bokoblins having a long horn now. At least the ones we see in the trailer. Could be a signal that time has past enough for them to grow longer
I think there was two train of thoughts, either there is some sort of time travel, past or future, or that the Malice is some how more powerful and or different that causes the enemies to change, perhaps when they respawn.
I’m still thinking there is some sort of time period convergence that causes the sky islands to now be in present day Hyrule which is also combining the enemies together somehow. Or Ganondorf has become powerful enough to break the invisible sky barrier and is trying to drag the sky islands down to the surface to perhaps get to the Tri-force finally. Either way I just want there to be complete chaos in the world with story twists and turns in real time.

Maybe Ganondorf is breaking apart the timeline, making all the timelines merge into this one.
Your main goal is to form a team of Allies, like Fi, Midna, Ezlo, Groose, Tingle, Navi, etc, to defeat Ganondorf

If Switch 2 May release isn't really a thing(likely cenario now) I'm afraid the lack of information about Totk means that they don't have the same level of confidence as Botw. With Botw they wanted to show everyone that they had something special in their hands. For now it seems that Nintendo is treating Totk as their every month release and I wonder why. We also know a lot about most of the biggest 2023 releases (spider-man being the exception but wouldn't be surprised if delayed).
Maybe they are trying a new marketing strategy this time for Zelda. But this strange marketing cycle + all footage having this mix of DLC and sequel appearance definitely worries me about the ambition of this game.

If Switch 2 May release isn't really a thing(likely cenario now) I'm afraid the lack of information about Totk means that they don't have the same level of confidence as Botw. With Botw they wanted to show everyone that they had something special in their hands. For now it seems that Nintendo is treating Totk as their every month release and I wonder why. We also know a lot about most of the biggest 2023 releases (spider-man being the exception but wouldn't be surprised if delayed).
Maybe they are trying a new marketing strategy this time for Zelda. But this strange marketing cycle + all footage having this mix of DLC and sequel appearance definitely worries me about the ambition of this game.
Only reason why they went all in with BOTW at E3 2016 was because they had nothing else to show. This is just how they think it's the best for them, when they will start showcasing what ToTK truly is most people will be sick about it by then.

What do y'all think "expanded world that goes beyond that" mean?

1. Massive underground map
2. Underwater
3. Alternative dimension/dark world
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else
I think it's underground, the fact that it's not been oficially announced like skies makes it seems like that's it. It was only featured in the E3 2019 trailer but apart from that nothing.

I love how all of the 3 trailers end with the view of the Hyrule. How all of 3 are cryptic is also a neat thing, f. e. when Link goes to the sky with time reversal they just show you the new bat like enemy for 2 seconds, it's things like this that they know will make people speculate a lot.

I think after all those Zelda BoTW Clones (including Fenix Rising and Genshin Impact) they dont want to share theire secrets before realese.

if anything, i think it's the opposite. they think "the sequel to botw" is pretty much what everyone needs to be on board. botw was a major change in the series, and they were hoping it would help switch succeed as a platform, of course they were eager to sell people on it.

2. Underwater
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else
underground imo

2. Underwater
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else

Imo time travel is the obvious pick. Different time periods of Hyrule that change the overworld significantly

Only reason why they went all in with BOTW at E3 2016 was because they had nothing else to show.
This, and BotW was a new 'kind' of Zelda game they needed to sell people on (and to eventually market the Switch). The Great Plateau demo was an effective, non-spoilery way of demonstrating the sandbox environment with the chemistry engine, climbing, weapons + armor system, runes, shrines, exploration, etc. This is a big departure from previous Zeldas, but at this point we know the 'gist' of how TotK will feel like since it is a sequel. The four months we have left are sufficient to show the other changes to the gameplay loop.

Saying 'Nintendo isn't confident in TotK' is just projecting anxieties onto them that they may or not may not have. If anything I interpret this relative silence as confidence, they know they have a grip on everyone's hearts and the moment new footage drops it'll suck up all the attention in the room. With that kind of guaranteed attention why not just wait a bit to start the real marketing?

2. Underwater
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else
1 and 3.

Besides the underground, I think we will enter the sacred realm.

Only reason why they went all in with BOTW at E3 2016 was because they had nothing else to show. This is just how they think it's the best for them, when they will start showcasing what ToTK truly is most people will be sick about it by then.
Don't think that this was the reason why we had the E3 2016 demo. They always did this, even when they had a lot to show.

WW had it's E3 2001 demo.
TP in 2005 and 2006.
SS in 2010 and 2011.
BOTW in 2016.

But of course they could just be breaking the cycle this time and there's nothing peculiar about it.

personally i'm not worried at all, the long development time and the delay have given me a lot of confidence that it'll be a super polished, amazing game, improving on botw which was already the best game of the last decade.

So what do we think about playable Zelda?

Happening or not?

The team seem to have at least flirted with the idea

2. Underwater
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else
I kinda don’t think Underwater is going to happen. I do think Underground is happening but it won’t be as big as everyone thinks. I think an alternate dimension/Dark world is possible, but whatever it is, the main square of BOTW’s Hyrule won’t be outwardly expanded.

Saying 'Nintendo isn't confident in TotK' is just projecting anxieties onto them that they may or not may not have. If anything I interpret this relative silence as confidence, they know they have a grip on everyone's hearts and the moment new footage drops it'll suck up all the attention in the room. With that kind of guaranteed attention why not just wait a bit to start the real marketing?
personally i'm not worried at all, the long development time and the delay have given me a lot of confidence that it'll be a super polished, amazing game, improving on botw which was already the best game of the last decade.
Yep, it makes sense for me who is not that fan of BOTW to be more anxious about this silence. Polished and improved wouldn't be enough for me without deep changes. I'm already getting used to the idea that I will need 6 more years to play a Zelda game that I will really like.

I also think underground is the most likely scenario.

But underwater.. dang. Imagine if there was this whole wonderful underwater area to explore between Lurelin Village and Eventide. Also, since we know that the sky and the surface transition is seamless... imagine skydiving from the sky, right into Lake Hylia and just reach the bottom. Delicious.

I still think there is at least one big feature that Nintendo is holding back. Could be playable Zelda, who knows at this point but hopefully we start getting some news soon.

I also think underground is the most likely scenario.

But underwater.. dang. Imagine if there was this whole wonderful underwater area to explore between Lurelin Village and Eventide. Also, since we know that the sky and the surface transition is seamless... imagine skydiving from the sky, right into Lake Hylia and just reach the bottom. Delicious.

Underwater caves please Nintendo.

if there is playable zelda, would you prefer it if nintendo revealed it pre-release or if it was a secret and you found out first when playing the game?

edit: assuming it wasn't already spoiled for you when the game inevitably gets leaked weeks before release.

So what do we think about playable Zelda?

Happening or not?

The team seem to have at least flirted with the idea
I can't envision how a playable Zelda would work in the context of the gameplay loop they've established. Even in Witcher 3, the Ciri bits were short flashbacks intended to convey some narrative content, I'm not sure if that would work in this game. The most I'd expect is some kind of partner system like Spirit Tracks. The other alternative is a second quest like they had planned with Skyward Sword, where Zelda's adventures on the surface might have been a playable sequence.

I can't envision how a playable Zelda would work in the context of the gameplay loop they've established. Even in Witcher 3, the Ciri bits were short flashbacks intended to convey some narrative content, I'm not sure if that would work in this game. The most I'd expect is some kind of partner system like Spirit Tracks. The other alternative is a second quest like they had planned with Skyward Sword, where Zelda's adventures on the surface might have been a playable sequence.
if they were to do dungeons, i can imagine a system where the dungeons are underground and you do them as zelda to get items that then link can use above ground.

I think the gameplay loop is basically going to be the goddess cubes on steroids basically. Except maybe reversed from sky -> ground, maybe

if they were to do dungeons, i can imagine a system where the dungeons are underground and you do them as zelda to get items that then link can use above ground.
Not sure how much I like that. If only Zelda can do dungeons, then I would be disappointed in not being able to use Link's abilities and weapons to explore them. At that point I would prefer a co-op system like with Medli in WW.

you could already use a glitch to see underwater in botw, i can see them expanding on that and adding some underwater exploration.

iu

It's so nice looking, what the fuck!

Don't think that this was the reason why we had the E3 2016 demo. They always did this, even when they had a lot to show.

WW had it's E3 2001 demo.
TP in 2005 and 2006.
SS in 2010 and 2011.
BOTW in 2016.

But of course they could just be breaking the cycle this time and there's nothing peculiar about it.
Doing demo for ToTK at E3 2021 was too far off, the game did not even had a name. E3 2022 was not happening.

I wouldn't be suprised if there is a playable ToTK demo at PAX East, as was with New Horizons.

2. Underwater
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else

They took the map from BOTW and just stretched it out on all sides to the point of almost tearing. Link has to stop the world from tearing apart. That's why it's called Tears of the Kingdom.

2. Underwater
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else
Underground probably. I can see it being a big vertical map with both expansive sky and underground areas added

Just got the Skyward Sword soundtrack box. 5 CDs. Also have the Breath of the Wild one which is 6 CDs! Such a crazy amount of music in these games, really looking forward to the inspiration Tears will bring!

2. Underwater
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else

I don't think it's "expanded" in the sense of the original map being made bigger in all directions, because the teasers until now have obviously shown vague "distance LOD" looking mountains in spaces where BotW also had those. Which is a bit of a shame because I would've enjoyed a regularly expanded world personally.

I think the Sky Kingdom is essentially a new Hyrule-sized map, but more chunk-based so they can handle progression in a new way and make it even more vertical.

Underground I'd love - especially if we get Blackreach style enormity underground. That's where my money is at the moment, but the Tori shrines might hint at something more mystical!

Would be really cool if there was an alternate world joining up all of the islands on the other side of the Tori gates, creating a linear-style level progression challenge to get to the top of each group of islands

Ie you enter the alternate dimension through one gate and the objective is to exit through another gate higher up, once you've gotten to the highest island you can then claim a reward on a little platform

Would be really cool if there was an alternate world joining up all of the islands on the other side of the Tori gates, creating a linear-style level progression challenge to get to the top of each group of islands

Ie you enter the alternate dimension through one gate and the objective is to exit through another gate higher up, once you've gotten to the highest island you can then claim a reward on a little platform
I am expecting them to be individual 'Trial gates' (to borrow the name from Skyward Sword) that you can make materialise by activating them at the entrance platform and then seamlessly walking through. Would be interesting if there is more to it than that though with a different exit like you say.
The trial might even dump you out in mid air when you complete it, or fail it perhaps.

2. Underwater
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else
I think it's a example of Japanese - English being weird. He probably meant that the world of Hyrule will feel so different it's essentially been expanded far beyond what it was in BOTW. I do expect a underground system of sorts tho, just not as big as people are thinking. Probably more linear and limited in nature.

As for underwater, I'm 50/50 on that happening, I could see them adding it, but then I could also seem them just not, despite how much people want it. As for the rest I highly doubt it, as I've never been sold on the idea of Time Travel as there's no evidence for it imo, Space feels too weird for Zelda, and I don't see them making a whole nother dimension.

I think it's a example of Japanese - English being weird. He probably meant that the world of Hyrule will feel so different it's essentially been expanded far beyond what it was in BOTW.
I don't agree. Ever since the last trailer dropped Nintendo is using the exact same wording in the press release.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: In addition to the vast lands of Hyrule, the latest entry in the storied Legend of Zelda series will take you up into the skies and an expanded world that goes beyond that! Look forward to Link’s massive adventure starting again when The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, drops for Nintendo Switch on May 12, 2023.

I don't agree. Ever since the last trailer dropped Nintendo is using the exact same wording in the press release.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: In addition to the vast lands of Hyrule, the latest entry in the storied Legend of Zelda series will take you up into the skies and an expanded world that goes beyond that! Look forward to Link’s massive adventure starting again when The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, drops for Nintendo Switch on May 12, 2023.
Even that could just be what I said. "Expanded" doesn't have to mean there's more area, it could just be expanded in terms of features.

2. Underwater
4. Space
5. Time travel
6. Something else
Just going by what we think we know, seen and from Patents alone, I would be surprised if there were not many different caves and passage ways between areas. The phase through ceiling mechanic would be vastly underused if it was only used in the over-world as a means to get to sky islands. Plus we have seen another way to get up into the sky using the object reversal mechanic as well.
It looks like there is a massive amount of islands that stretch out over Lurelin village and out to sea towards Eventide Island so I’m thinking we will get a new ocean island out that direction and hopefully a new way to traverse the sea other than the raft, perhaps we lasso up a couple of dolphins and ride them above the surface like a sand seal.
Underwater would be a missed opportunity again, if Nintendo decides to ignore it. It looks like Nintendo was already seriously considering it with the under-water glitch that was just posted so it just makes too much sense not to do it, and this being Nintendo gives us only a 50-50 chance.
I am convinced we are getting some sort of alternate Spirtual, or Light realm or what ever it will be called. We talked a lot about the significance of the Tori gates in the sky, the bell symbol on green golem, the golden Ginkgo trees and the sound patent Nintendo filled as possibly being related to warping. Plus there will be something to do with who the owner of the spirtual arm actually is, as well as Link needing to be Spirtually cleansed so to speak having been inflicted with Malice.
We also have Links journey to fix the master sword and there isn’t anyone besides Robbie or Purah on the surface from BOTW that could really help, so some new NPC or Realm to travel to is kind of given IMO so we can fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom