• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping for some significant underground exploration in this game. The atmosphere here is pretty spooky.

01ba6944c64a017afd8c45615d052810.gif
b9b8edb68b2f38df6504ccd6d0316b8f208c80a3.gifv

So my opinion is that we figured out the main core concept of Tears of the Kingdom. To recap:

As you progress through the game, you will need to rebuild the Sky Island. You will have the ability to raise chunks of Hyrule back into the sky. By doing so reverses time on said chunks which would explain why they look different once they are actually in the sky. The more chunks you raise, the more they will eventually start to connect together. In some of the shots, you see roads and pathways on the island chunks that do not connect to anything but upon rebuilding the entire sky kingdom, these will all form one large sky kingdom. Could be Skyloft, could be the original Zonai kingdom. Maybe the two are actually one of the same. As you send chunks back into the sky, there will be craters on the surface world that likely can be explored revealing secrets and underground stuff to explore.

The Tears of the Kingdom is exactly that. Each island chunk is a tear that has fallen from the great kingdom that once was. Also represents tears in a kingdom as it was ripped apart. Your job is to restore the original kingdom. This will play a major role in defeating the evil and what not. Don't know how the entire story will work out but I feel confident that the core gameplay loop is restoring a long lost sky kingdom likely tied to the Zonai race that was done dirty by Ganondorf. As you send each chunk back in time which propells the pieces back into the sky, the former kingdom slowly becomes restored. It's been clear since the first trailer that time mechanics play a huge role and that island pieces can be raises as you saw Hyrule castle lift from the ground leaving behind a crater. Now we have enough evidence and information to piece together the restoration of the sky island and original Zonai race that inhabited said land.

Rebuilding an entire continent in real time piece by piece sounds so otherworldly but when it comes to the Zelda team I have no doubt they can pull it off. It's like an alternate take of the Skyward Sword timeshift stones.

I'm also expecting an underground exploration element based on the surface phasing mechanic, holes in Hyrule, and the architecture of the first teaser.

This latest teaser bringing the goods. As short as it was. The full blow out will be legendary.

Well I guess that I won't be buying Zelda games ever again. Some of us don't want a silent soundtrack. I want to have a soundtrack that I can remember.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the people who are looking forward to this game. Maybe someday there will be a Zelda game that can make me happy again.
To be fair there are tons of tracks in the game that aren’t silent. The town themes, the stable theme, Divine Beast themes, boss themes, other areas like Korok Forest, Hyrule Castle, etc. Those are very memorable.

I get your point about the regular exploration music being quiet and subdued. But calling the whole soundtrack unmemorable isn’t being fair.

What really rubs me the wrong way is how some folks assume that Tears of the Kingdom started as DLC.

Just saw a Commonwealth Realm Video where he said that it was planned for 2018... but I didn't find any real sources on that.

All Aonuma said was (according to Polygon):

“... When it comes down to technical things, DLC is pretty much data — you’re adding data to a preexisting title. And so when we wanted to add bigger changes, DLC is not enough, and that’s why we thought maybe a sequel would be a good fit.,” Aonuma said.

When asked if this sequel was originally planned as DLC, Aonuma responded that “initially we were thinking of just DLC ideas, but then we had a lot of ideas and we said, ‘This is too many ideas, let’s just make one new game and start from scratch.’”

All this tells me is that they had so many left over ideas that couldn't realistically fit into downloadable content. Not that it was in actual development as planned DLC.

The misinformation really runs wild with this game sometimes. The same with the "Darker then Majoras Mask" quote. I blame certain clickbait Youtubers for that.

Also adding the fact that its interviews translated from japanese to english it muddies the waters even more.
Jeez... I think the game wasn't even at full development until some time in 2018 lol.
Also agree that's pretty frustrating on how people distort the "having ideas during DLC development that were saved for a sequel" into "DLC that turned into a game". Moreso because some people make such statements in bad faith to make a game that's coming more than 6 years after the predecessor look like some cash grab game that could've been dlc.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the holes in the ground / evidence of caves in the trailer yet. I thought that was the most exciting part!

Look behind the rock that Link rides up to the sky, and you can see a cavern entrance with roots hanging from the ceiling. It looks like you could go in, and down to the left to go deeper.

Interesting!

i wonder if the river around Hyrule castle is now gone
At first I was thinking that, but you can see parts of it occasionally catch the sun in the final shot.

Jeez... I think the game wasn't even at full development until some time in 2018 lol.
Also agree that's pretty frustrating on how people distort the "having ideas during DLC development that were saved for a sequel" into "DLC that turned into a game". Moreso because some people make such statements in bad faith to make a game that's coming more than 6 years after the predecessor look like some cash grab game that could've been dlc.
He said that Tears of the Kingdom was originally DLC wave 3 releasing in early 2018. Which is obviously fabricated bs

The trailer is still at #2 on worldwide trending on YouTube with 3.46 million views. On twitter, we've hit 3.2m views and 190K likes -- the second most liked tweet ever from NoA, behind Reggie's parting words to fans.
Yeah, to think that many where still like "that game needs at least a 6 months marketing cycle!" ... 2 weeks would probably be enough for TotK.
Wait
Death Mountain is erupting again?
Thats malice...but im actually more interested in what this big dustcloud is. nobody talks about that one.
I always took it for granted they would continue making original 2d Zelda forever, and they would continue the traditional style that way. But now I’m starting to doubt.
They probably are, but im not a fan of the pace... the last new one was 2013, and while Links Awakening was fine, it was still a 1:1 remake... years ago...
FcjAxtrWAAErIYA

aside from the castle there's giant holes all over Hyrule
To mudy to say. The one big crater is actually the see where the tower was, so not a new crater.

Yeah, to think that many where still like "that game needs at least a 6 months marketing cycle!" ... 2 weeks would probably be enough for TotK.

Thats malice...but im actually more interested in what this big dustcloud is. nobody talks about that one.

They probably are, but im not a fan of the pace... the last new one was 2013, and while Links Awakening was fine, it was still a 1:1 remake... years ago...

To mudy to say. The one big crater is actually the see where the tower was, so not a new crater.
but there has to be a reason for the waters absence which would mean there is indeed a hole/entrance.

Had it preordered from Amazon seconds after preorders went up only for Amazon to cancel the day of release and left me screwed so I was never able to get one. Was so damn bummed out by that. Still am all this time later. Oh well.
Sympathetic Yeah!, because that's some hot bullshit. Hopefully it's not a shitshow for pre-orders like last time and you have better luck for this game!

but there has to be a reason for the waters absence which would mean there is indeed a hole/entrance.

The water is actually still there, just an illusion. I noticed it watching the zeltic vid, the light reflects off the water in that shot.

Last edited:

To me, Nintendo has to do one key thing to make the game great and it's to make "base Hyrule" in BotW optional/minimally involved and instead have extensive amount of gameplay/exploration in new lands. Something like spending 2 hours in BotW Hyrule just getting to places and 38 hours in entirely new areas to beat the game would be golden.

Maybe a second world like a dark world or time travel with radically altered geography. Maybe extremely high islands and entire floating continents that offer endless exploration. Maybe bringing the Minish back and re-exploring the world from a tiny perspective.

So my opinion is that we figured out the main core concept of Tears of the Kingdom. To recap:

As you progress through the game, you will need to rebuild the Sky Island. You will have the ability to raise chunks of Hyrule back into the sky. By doing so reverses time on said chunks which would explain why they look different once they are actually in the sky. The more chunks you raise, the more they will eventually start to connect together. In some of the shots, you see roads and pathways on the island chunks that do not connect to anything but upon rebuilding the entire sky kingdom, these will all form one large sky kingdom. Could be Skyloft, could be the original Zonai kingdom. Maybe the two are actually one of the same. As you send chunks back into the sky, there will be craters on the surface world that likely can be explored revealing secrets and underground stuff to explore.

The Tears of the Kingdom is exactly that. Each island chunk is a tear that has fallen from the great kingdom that once was. Also represents tears in a kingdom as it was ripped apart. Your job is to restore the original kingdom. This will play a major role in defeating the evil and what not. Don't know how the entire story will work out but I feel confident that the core gameplay loop is restoring a long lost sky kingdom likely tied to the Zonai race that was done dirty by Ganondorf. As you send each chunk back in time which propells the pieces back into the sky, the former kingdom slowly becomes restored. It's been clear since the first trailer that time mechanics play a huge role and that island pieces can be raises as you saw Hyrule castle lift from the ground leaving behind a crater. Now we have enough evidence and information to piece together the restoration of the sky island and original Zonai race that inhabited said land.

This sounds entirely plausible and I'm coping hard that this isn't the core gameplay loop. Spending significant time running around base Hyrule to find the fallen pieces is going to suck. I'd assume most of the Sky world would be on the ground in the beginning of the game so there's going to be very limited exploration to start with.

Sympathetic Yeah!, because that's some hot bullshit. Hopefully it's not a shitshow for pre-orders like last time and you have better luck for this game!
This same bs happened to me with the collector's edition :( let's manifest that we'll have better luck this time!

This same bs happened to me with the collector's edition :( let's manifest that we'll have better luck this time!
Lord am I ever thankful I got to guarantee my CE by standing in line at EB Games at 7AM the following morning after the January Switch reveal; but hell part of me is almost half tempted to get a backup pre-order just in case this time around

I think you are onto something and it sounds F'ing amazing!

It's really the perfect way to allow the player to revisit somewhere they are extremely familiar with but somehow making it seem completely new and foreign all over again.

I don't think they will get rid of the Master Sword, either.

Actually, it makes me wonder how we will repair the Master Sword. I know a lot about metals, and there's no good way to repair the Master Sword, realistically, besides melting it down (and getting more of the base metal), but that would kill Fi, possibly. It's a fantasy game, so maybe we'll just repair it with some magic method.

Maybe we have to use that new ability that can send objects back in time, on the Master Sword.

If we could do that, late in the game, we could repair the Master Sword by sending it back through time to its previous state, and, since I'm speculating, make Hyrule Castle return to its previous place.
the logo says it gets funky

May 12 is like two weeks before some scheduled time off from work for me. Really exciting!

Other than that, I'm glad we finally have a title. We can move on from that and speculate about everything else instead!

Yeah we're 100% going underground.
That’s my greatest wish for the game as the sky islands are cool for puzzle and platforming but not so much for exploration and discovery hidden stuff like mountains, dense forests and caves, at least for me.

BTW great video comparing all TOTK footage with BOTW map:

/already post lol

I think the tears of the kingdom are the chunks of it that constantly fall from the sky. It's like if the sky kingdom is crying "tears" of itself onto Hyrule.

That’s my greatest wish for the game as the sky islands are cool for puzzle and platforming but not so much for exploration and discovery hidden stuff like mountains, dense forests and caves, at least for me.

BTW great video comparing all TOTK footage with BOTW map:

/already post lol

I never noticed the cave in the Faron footage. Very exciting.

I've heard the word Zonai on YouTube about 10,000 times since the trailer dropped, and I'm not even a little bit mad.

I didn't even think of that. What a great point that reinforces the theory that the tears are the fallen chunks of the kingdom and we got to restore the sky kingdom. Could be the most epic game ever lol. I'm definitely intrigued.
That’s how I see it. We’re putting the kingdom back together as it “tears” itself apart

If true, this will be blow away any other open world game in terms of design. Taking a previous world and transforming it into another sounds mind-blowing. How the fuck are they gonna do this on the Switch of all things is my only hesitation to fully believe this theory.

But this somewhat reminds me of what I wanted out of an open world Halo, AKA a ring shaped open world. I want developers to let go of their obsession with seize and start experimenting with how a world is shaped and play with verticality.

Are we sure it's a an actual cave, tho? It could be just some shallow part of the cliff going inward. It's hard to say with the footage being black and white.
it could be, but there's not much other added superficial detail in the world like it. I'd say it's something a bit more substantial

Weird-Thingy.jpg

So have we figured out what this odd shaped structure is that appears to be coming out of the bottom of one of the islands? It almost looks like a weird radio tower or something mechanical. It's possible there are more of these as well but I didn't spend a lot of time analyzing the video. Do we know what this strange object is? Screenshot is from the latest trailer. Maybe some sort of energy tower that will activate once the island is complete and will work as either a cloaking shield or help keep the island hovering in place permanently. Really all of this is a reach at best.

Weird-Thingy.jpg

So have we figured out what this odd shaped structure is that appears to be coming out of the bottom of one of the islands? It almost looks like a weird radio tower or something mechanical. It's possible there are more of these as well but I didn't spend a lot of time analyzing the video. Do we know what this strange object is? Screenshot is from the latest trailer.
Considering the Sheikah towers seemingly went back underground, what if these are the towers attached to their respective landmass after it has been sent back into the sky?

Considering the Sheikah towers seemingly went back underground, what if these are the towers attached to their respective landmass after it has been sent back into the sky?

It's possible. Maybe they have a secondary function relating to the flying island. That could be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom