• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay hear me out, what if this is THE Majora? The Eyes and the triangular „sprinkles“ around them… just give me majora vibes.
Also in the end frame this thing is seen from the side, facing someone.
875061fca743a86c988428272b35ac83b5033e76.jpg
Aonuma basically already said that the sequel hasn't anything to do with Majoras Mask

NSwitch_TheLegendOfZeldaTearsOfTheKingdom_04.jpg

We actually see who Zelda is touching hands with in this image:

G12gPta.jpg

We can see the two swirls, the hands touching behind the logo. On the left side, you can see the hair and head decoration, It's the same figure we see here:

I was guessing this is Hylia, and the swirls are sages? But then what do the two swirls in the picture of them touching hands represent?

Whatever they are, I hope it means we will have 7 dungeons again!

NSwitch_TheLegendOfZeldaTearsOfTheKingdom_04.jpg

We actually see who Zelda is touching hands with in this image:

G12gPta.jpg

We can see the two swirls, the hands touching behind the logo. On the left side, you can see the hair and head decoration, It's the same figure we see here:

I was guessing this is Hylia, and the swirls are sages? But then what do the two swirls in the picture of them touching hands represent?
Theory crafting over the next 8 months is going to be so fun.

My thought is that these are 7 runes or whatever (crystals, jewels) that represent 7 temples. Mixing in the dungeons from the old games with the BOTW open word formula.

It's a little sad that they didn't give Aonuma the chance to announce the trailer with a big smile like Miyamoto with Pikmin 4.

None of the songs in Breath of the Wild are memorable.

Classic Zelda had great songs such as Gerudo Valley, and Midna's Lament. None of Breath of the Wild's songs are anywhere as good.
Uhhhh.... Considering so many developers are copying BotW's impressionistic style, including Elden Ring and Sonic. You are 100% incorrect about that.

You may not personally feel that way, but that is factually untrue.

Classic Zelda had great songs such as Gerudo Valley, and Midna's Lament. None of Breath of the Wild's songs are anywhere as good.

The word good is subjective but what you might notice is that Classic Zelda's used more approachable melodies whereas BotW takes a more subtle but way more complex action orientated approach in its soundscapes.

Maybe less memorable but definitely more impressive.

I thought it was amazing and it helped the immersion.

Some have probably noticed but theres another large island shown to the right of Death Mountain and above the Necluda area(1:03 in trailer), cant wait to see what that looks like

Are you trying to tell someone that their opinion is wrong? Or are you just weirdly stating your own opinion as fact?

ok

I wouldn't assume that's a player controllable thing though. But I mainly wanted to point out the crazy amount of sky islands that you can see in the distance a few seconds earlier in this scene. And that massive graffiti on that plateau is also pretty interesting.
Yeah there is a huge island to the right of Death Mountain that I just noticed. The sky world should be large to explore.

I will just point out a banal but stupid critique: i really dont like how his animation latches on to positions in the air.
It does not convey falling in any way to me, how has he perfect controll of his orientation an momentum.

Uhhhh.... Considering so many developers are copying BotW's impressionistic style, including Elden Ring and Sonic.
That's sad.

It sounds to me like I'm never going to get another Zelda game that I like ever again, and the thought of that makes me sad.:cry:

The name Tears of the Kingdom could be interpreted so many different ways and I think we will only know the "true" ways once the game is released and we get to play it. Below are just my general first thoughts thinking about it:

1. My first thought was that the "tear" references that one drop of water we saw in the last teaser right before Link flies through the air and goes through the ground of the floating island. Someone else here mentioned the 7 tear like shapes in the opening of this new teaser. Could be referencing powers related to this potentially new kingdom or maybe an old kingdom really (which does have potential zonai influences)
  2. My second thought was maybe the kingdom refers to Hyrule and the tears of it references the past troubles the kingdom faced. Some people theorize time travel (I mean we do have objects going "back in time" so it isn't that much of a stretch to extend it to the world overall). It could be referencing dealing with the past evils that tormented the world like Ganon as an example
  3. I then started thinking that tear could potentially not be a tear like from an eye but like tearing open a package (saw that others here also saw that potential interpretation too). Now what could that mean for the world is a big question mark lol It would be funny if it was like an extension of my last point and be a "tear" that opens things up for past evils to come back into our time or for us to go to their time.
  4. The last comment I wanted to make was in response to someone's question whether "tear" has any lore behind it in the zelda universe. The only "tear" I can think of is at the end of Twilight Princess (spoliers ahead) when Midna has that one tear at the end to destroy the mirror of twilight. The Twilight relm also houses a kingdom lol so maybe it is something with them but tbh could only just be a coincidence. Tho the weird figure with the 7 "tears" around it at the beginning did kinda give me twilight vibes (kinda like the helmet thing midna wears) and I did find that the second teaser music had hints of city in the sky ost lol so you never know.
I think that this trailer gave me more questions to think about than just pure hype. A nice change of pace. Also, love that the loftwings evolved into a flying surfboard :p jkjk

Can't wait for May!!!
Good write up on possible meanings. My first thought was the Sheika symbol having a single tear under an eye, and the runes in BotW were given by a glowing blue stone that dropped one watery tear on your Sheika slate. It made me think the Kingdom had something to do with the Shieka's origin.

Eh, they are less "momerable" because they are not 1 minute melodies looping for 5 minutes (or 2 hours when you're in a dungeon). Which would get super grating when you consider how much time you spend traversing in this game. You aren't changing locations every 4 or 5 minutes like on older Zelda titles.

They have more focus on fitting with the overall vibe of the world, fading in and out with the more sparse environmental music.

Saying "there is no soundtrack" is just plain stupid, sorry.

Now that people have been speculating and stuff, been seeing a lot of references to both SS and TP in the new Tears of the Kingdom teaser. It makes me wonder about whatever is happening with WWHD/TPHD (afaik from these threads, they exist, just not announced yet), I mean they did SSHD for the Switch, and TotK seems to be heavily inspired by it, so in the same vein maybe TPHD in the future?

Made some updates to the OP, still a work in progress, might try to do some image banners and have a screen shot section.

Now that people have been speculating and stuff, been seeing a lot of references to both SS and TP in the new Tears of the Kingdom teaser. It makes me wonder about whatever is happening with WWHD/TPHD (afaik from these threads, they exist, just not announced yet), I mean they did SSHD for the Switch, and TotK seems to be heavily inspired by it, so in the same vein maybe TPHD in the future?
How does TotK seem inspired by SS exactly?

I clearly disagree. The music in BOTE supported the whole magical feeling of the wildness, ruins and being "alone" often. It is perfect!
I hope they keep that for the TOTK as well!!!

• Main theme
  • Korok Forest
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Champion's Ballad Divine Beast Dungeon
  • Mipha's theme
  • Daruk's theme
  • Urbosa's theme
  • Revali's theme
  • Tarrey Town
  • Kakariko Village
These are my favorite melodies from BotW, excluding remixes and callbacks to previous themes. I also love ambient themes like the Divine Beasts and Shrines but not including them here as 'hummable' tunes.

I understand that the music was very 'spaced' out, it wasn't like Ocarina where Shiek teaches you a melody, you quickly finish a dungeon, then they teach you another banger song. Some of the moments in BotW may be spaced out by hours. But I appreciate the game for sticking to its vision.

I think Tears of the Kingdom will have its own musical vision. The music in the 2021 teaser was bombastic, a continuation of the BotW main theme but in a different mood. The music in this one had a constantly ascending piano which fits the constant motion of Link between the different worlds, with a heavenly ancient sound. I am very excited to hear the rest of it.

I wonder if there is a real art piece that inspired the TOTK artwork, like it was the case with BOTW:
Ueber-die-sammlung-19-jahrhundert-caspar-david-friedrich-wanderer-ueber-dem-nebelmeer.jpg
The-Art-of-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-3.jpg

I guess it would have to be another piece from romanticism because that is what inspired the BOTW art style and game spirit.

I do understand everyone's concerns. I really do. I even share the concern about it being the same world map to some extent. I do want a blowout too.

At the same time: I understand why they are still holding back. Worked out well for them last time. We barely really saw anything until that infamous Switch Launch Event Trailer. But that one SLAPPED. I know this time it's even less, but then again this time they aren't re-inventing the franchise's formula gameplay-wise (& that's what E3 2016 was all about, really - beyond that, we only saw the tutorial area).

And, and this is entirely on me: I trust the Zelda team. They have gained a lot of goodwill from me with BOTW (& honestly one of the most genuin reactions to winning a Game Award that I have seen), so if that same team takes 6 years to make a sequel in the same engine with partly the same overworld - there needs to be something more to it that we're not seeing yet. I don't know what that would be exactly, but I am confident in the skill of this team (& that Aonuma will have a word with Furukawa if he gets any weird ideas, because regardless of position, Aonuma, much like Miyamoto, has considerable power in Nintendo & the business side of things wouldn't dare to go against him if he puts his foot down).

Guys, we're still a good 8 months away from launch. I think what they showed here is good enough. We still have at least one more general direct(or new hardware showcase) to go through before that, probably 5 or 6 minute long presentation. I doubt they will do a Zelda direct; 20 minute dedicated direct is just too long for a game like TotK; they will end up showing too much I'm afraid. Anyway, I'm glad there are storm clouds in the sky! I hope we can jump straight into them lol.

Hyrule Castle theme is one of the best dungeon themes in the entire franchise without even breaking a sweat.
BotW Hyrule Caste Theme or LttP Hyrule Castle Theme?

Edit: Ah, nm, gotta pay attention to the conversation upthread

Last edited:
The memory recollection theme in BOTW is amazing.

Was trying to figure out how to make that my music tone for my iPhone but couldn’t lol. One day since I own the BOTW soundtrack

I think they should have showed more. Like compared to other Zelda title reveals this is probably the lamest one. Should have been a 1 -2 minute trailer.

I think they should have showed more. Like compared to other Zelda title reveals this is probably the lamest one. Should have been a 1 -2 minute trailer.

Yeah Nintendo has been going really drip feed on the marketing for this game. With a May release they have a lot of time, but I’m still disappointed. I was hoping to have a nice long trailer for YouTubers to pick apart for months.

BotW's music was good. the direction was just different. from melodic music to ambiance punctuating the onscreen action

Let's just say BOTW doesn't have music that would make it on my Spotify Playlist (if it was on there in the first place....NINTENDO).

But that doesn't make it bad. It does fit the game and its atmosphere to a T. Hyrule Field Theme for 200 hours while exploring the open world would have driven me insane.

It's just not very... "listenable" (for lack of a better term) outside the context of the game.

Speaking of that graffiti thing...you can also see another one here. And does it look like that sky island has just been ripped out of the ground there? Looks painful. No wonder the kingdom is crying.

z1.png

I don't know if someone has already said it before, but that is not a hole in the ground that has given rise to the island that can be seen. It is the lake where one of the towers used to be, Ridgeland Tower to be more exact. It can be checked by entering the game and going there or by going to the same place where Link is in this trailer.

I saw this on twitter could the Zonai be the ancestors of the Twili, like maybe they were the magic wielders who were imprisoned into the Twilight realm?

Eh, all of these Zeldatubers are just a buncha baseless speculators, not much better than Game Theory.
This isn't true at all. Zeltik, Monster Maze, and NintendoBlackCrisis all make fantastic theory videos that are well researched take into account multiple different viewpoints. And Zelda lore is heavily open to interpretation, sometimes speculation is the only thing you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom