• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will have a Zelda direct or at least a tree house demonstration. Nintendo likes to show the gameplay loop of these games and there is so many mechanics that they will want to show off first hand.

I think we will have a Zelda direct or at least a tree house demonstration. Nintendo likes to show the gameplay loop of these games and there is so many mechanics that they will want to show off first hand.
pls mr nintendo, show us the sky plateau section gameplay and UI

I've yet to be convinced about the world reuse.

I'm in the same boat. There was a lot to improve on BOTW, but if there's one thing that BOTW did great, it was the map; and that's specifically the reason why I wanted a new one, which would recapture the feeling of exploration from BOTW.
The fact that TOTK is reusing this map dampens a lot my excitement for the game, and nothing that has been shown so far has convinced me otherwise.

As I've said before, I'm now expect to be disappointed by TOTK, and pleasantly surprised by the inevitable DLC next year.

Lol
So official confirmation that this Zelda will not have public playable demo.
It was unreasonable to expect it. Cutting a demo for a game as big as TOTK is a massive amount of work and they're probably concerned about potential security risks/unintentional effects. We're not in the BOTW era anymore where Nintendo needed people to understand the game play and accumulate all the good-will possible to make sure people pick up the game/Switch. TOTK is a sequel and anything new about it can easily be conveyed through press previews and controlled demonstrations.

I'm in the same boat. There was a lot to improve on BOTW, but if there's one thing that BOTW did great, it was the map; and that's specifically the reason why I wanted a new one, which would recapture the feeling of exploration from BOTW.
The fact that TOTK is reusing this map dampens a lot my excitement for the game, and nothing that has been shown so far has convinced me otherwise.

I know this is a massive first world problems thing, but I feel the same. Exploration is what made BOTW great, and I already know that revisiting the map for some tweaks did absolutely nothing for me with the DLC of the first game, and I really need them to sell me on the map reuse, but I guess they're just not even going to try.

It was unreasonable to expect it. Cutting a demo for a game as big as TOTK is a massive amount of work and they're probably concerned about potential security risks/unintentional effects. We're not in the BOTW era anymore where Nintendo needed people to understand the game play and accumulate all the good-will possible to make sure people pick up the game/Switch. TOTK is a sequel and anything new about it can easily be conveyed through press previews and controlled demonstrations.
I was like 50/50 for it being it there, especialy when AC was there but I get it. I still expect a Treehouse demo to happen late March though.

Lol
So official confirmation that this Zelda will not have public playable demo.
Oh so you mean to say it will have a private playable demo?

Playable from the comfort of our private homes?

Downloadable right after this presentation?

(never)

After Nintendo releases a new trailer in the next few weeks and TotK ends up selling over 20 Million units, I hope I never have to hear about how โ€œbadโ€ Nintendo is at marketing their flagship games.

โ€ฆwho am I kidding, we had the same shit with Animal Crossing, Bowserโ€™s Fury, Pokรฉmon Legends Arceus, Splatoon 3, and Fire Emblem Engage (Plus most recent PlayStation first party games). Nintendo fans are still stuck in 2010 when it made more sense for companies to advertise games heavily many months or even years in advance.
Well it was warranted with AC:NH (not the sales figures), NH is a big disappointment

Obviously folks have their own hopes and expectations for TotK, perhaps to address aspects of BotW that they thought were lackluster. But given the insane success of BotW both critically and commercially, maybe Nintendo doesnโ€™t agree that they need to go on a marketing/apology tour to address dungeons, weapon durability, or other grievances people have? Maybe theyโ€™re confident in their design decisions and their marketing plans are backed up by data that we canโ€™t see. It may frustrate the type of hyper engaged online fans like the ones on forums/Reddit/Discord that want more to talk about. But they probably already have 98% of those purchases locked down.

Nintendo is just testing everyone's resolve. They're telling you that if you can't trust in the process and give them $70 no questions asked, you don't deserve to play this game.

thankfully i missed all the pessimism because i didn't check the thread at all over the weekend.

Are people really going to be truly bothered if Zelda isn't playable? For the people who want it (i dont), I would go in fully expecting she wont be playable (as history suggest) and be pleasantly surprised if she is.
Not upset or bothered but kinda disappointed, still I expect Zelda won't be playable and if she is playable is probably gonna be for a small portion of the game.

But given the insane success of BotW both critically and commercially, maybe Nintendo doesnโ€™t agree that they need to go on a marketing/apology tour to address dungeons, weapon durability, or other grievances people have?
I don't feel it's even accurate to say that Breath of the Wild haters think Nintendo should go on an apology tour. They might hope that Nintendo reveals stuff that appeals to them, but they're not asking for Nintendo to apologize for the most successful Zelda game of all time by far. There are obviously extreme examples but those aside.

People, both BOTW and non BOTW fans, are just kind of asking for more information. Which is way less ridiculous than "apologize for your game, Nintendo".

PAX would have made sense though.. cause after that, it will be Mario movie extravaganza on all social media until atleast after it's second weekend. I wonder how they will juggle between the two big events.

They're most likely gonna wait till after the Mario movie, which is fine for the game but makes no sense for the OLED we know exists. Every other OLED has had 2 months before the game comes out, I've no idea when they plan to announce this thing, but no one's gonna have a chance to get it considering it's likely only gonna be announced for a week before it's on market.
NH is the highest rated AC game of all time though
It's the highest rated because it's the most popular, it's easily the worst gameplay wise of the whole series.

PAX would have made sense though.. cause after that, it will be Mario movie extravaganza on all social media until atleast after it's second weekend. I wonder how they will juggle between the two big events.
Doing Treehouse gameplay before or after PAX, last week of March.

It's the highest rated because it's the most popular, it's easily the worst gameplay wise of the whole series.

Reviews came out before the game was available to the public. Maybe those reviewers were soothsayers, or paid by Nintendo? I dunno...

Maybe the game was good

Even if TotK is not at PAX I still believe they will show it after Bayo and before March ends. Why?

The first delay of Zelda U was announced on March 27th 2015.

The delay of TotK was announced on March 29th 2022.

Of course the game will not be delayed but Nintendo always wants to have info before the fiscal year ends (March 31st). I know, there's a difference between "our major game will be delayed" that is definitely something you want to apply before the fiscal year ends for investors but I think this also applies to more information about the game, you want to share at least something from the game before fiscal year ends to boost your confidence in it. Late March is always a time when the stars allign for a Zelda fans (well not in a good way in the last few years).
Still sticking with my late March prediction.

Aonuma and Fujibayashi when I ask them for more info on TotK on May 11th

mUIbxQj.jpg

Even if thereโ€™s no playable demo at Pax, they can still have a Treehouse later on.
However, Iโ€™m personally expecting only a final trailer.

Still, worst marketing for a 3D Zelda game so far.

I was not expecting a Direct for Zelda, but between the OLED model, a blowout that still hasn't happened, no gameplay segment yet, and a potential season pass to announce, I could see how it could make sense. Or at least some kind of targeted event to tie it all together. Either late March or early April. Either way we are about to feast.

i wonder if Link will be able to phase downwards, I think itโ€™s likely he actually wonโ€™t

Nintendo looking at feedback post BoTW: "hm seems people liked the sense of discovery and surprise in BoTW, maybe we should keep things closer to our chest for sequel"

Nintendo fans:
I really don't know how the fuck they're thinking this is good marketing.

They HAVE to be like :"too big to fail, just post whatever"

But seriously, this marketing isn't great (the fact that it's seemingly failing to sell a premise as conceptually awesome as sky islands to a lot of people speaks for itself) but also it doesn't really matter if it is yet. Most of the audience is not going to care if ToTK is getting good marketing and the people who do care are still likely going to buy the game.

The marketing being "good" or "bad" will not have any impact on what the game actually is and the content it entails. And it's not like anyone seriously has an ounce of worry the game won't sell extremely well so that can't be the concern here.

Otherwise, the less they spoil and show from the game, the more the game can surprise one and that makes the actual experience playing the game so much better. They are clearly trying to show as little as possible, after BotW they can actually easily afford doing so and I'm all for it.

Someone earlier mentioned people really act like Nintendo has to prove themselves after BotW and it's true and it's completely absurd. This all just reminds me of the "Switch 2 needs to announced soon or Nintendo will be in trouble" doomposting and both are mostly coming from core Nintendo fans with what I only can describe as a constant fear of being seen as inferior to the "competition".

Everything I expect for TotK before launch:

• separate OLED + Pro controller announcement
  • Treehouse like gameplay with develoepers
  • final trailer
  • Game Informer issue with TotK

That's all.
Gimme.

Not buying a ZOLED though, that CE was plenty expensive =P . Also I don't really like the themed Switches myself, most look kinda tacky.

It's more like, "seems people liked the sense of discovery in BoTW, let's reuse the same map and not adequately demonstrate how the new game will provide the same sense of discovery despite that."

Come on now ๐ŸŒ this level of negativity is starting to be goofy.

I'm just waiting for the random Wal-Mart employee to get an early copy and do what Nintendo won't do and show us some of the game. Someone about to get their 10 minutes of fame! ๐Ÿ˜›

They're most likely gonna wait till after the Mario movie, which is fine for the game but makes no sense for the OLED we know exists. Every other OLED has had 2 months before the game comes out, I've no idea when they plan to announce this thing, but no one's gonna have a chance to get it considering it's likely only gonna be announced for a week before it's on market.

I don't know what the reviewers were thinking then because even after many additions the game falls short of the previous ACs, even city folk, unless you don't care about the life Sim elements of AC at all

It's more like, "seems people liked the sense of discovery in BoTW, let's reuse the same map and not adequately demonstrate how the new game will provide the same sense of discovery despite that."

Maybe. But then reviews will come out and probably say:
"Don't worry, there is a lot of new stuff. 10/10".
Wouldn't that be convincing enough for most people who are still hesitant now to just buy the game?

So in the end, all the "bad marketing" now might not matter at.
We will see.

I do think the amount of negativity is getting a bit absurd, but at the same time I don't really like the defense that "the game doesn't have to prove itself" either.

Wow at some posts in this thread lol. Nintendo fans never learn...

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been a collab with Edge in the form of a cover story. Maybe in April?

Yes, leaks and Zeltik (among other Zelda tubers) are better than 3 of the 4 teasers that Nintendo released.

I suspect the whole game was.

Breath of the Wild is a very pause-heavy game by Nintendo standards, and I can't but feel that was a compromise after the gamepad support got removed.
I wouldnโ€™t immediately assume thatโ€™s the case

I like the design, but more to the point, it feels purposeful โ€” it creates a combat system that is action-heavy but feels like it has turn-based aspects

pausing to eat a bunch of food and change swords feels like shifting strategy mid-fight and it feels really cool in my opinion

I donโ€™t think this was ever a compromise โ€” I think it was a strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom