• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
would they ever launch a new trailer in cinemas before the Mario movie instead of at a direct?

I mean, it's not like there's going to be another main direct before the game launches, so they might as well.

I don't think they'd have a trailer exclusive to cinema though, because that just means you get a bunch of people looking at crappy phone cam quality Rips of it on YouTube instead of not having seen it. If one is made for the movie, it'll also be officially uploaded online at the same time as it starts showing, at latest.

To replace Serif, I googled the closest font to Serif and the first result was, "Baskerville Nova Pro Font Family".

So someone should make a new account with that as their username to replace Serif.

Oh... I can't contain my hype.. I have this feeling before a big nintendo game up to the point that I can't sleep. I'm so ready to play this game

I would like to thank @Serif for the amazing contributions to this whole thread, altough he requested self ban and will not be coming after game releases so he will not be able to read this.

Nnnnnooooooooo

Godspeed, Serif. I’ll think about you when I boot the game up for the 1st time 🙏

Aw, I will miss serif. But I can totally understand his desicion based on the TotK discussions. Hope it will be better after the next trailer or at release.

Has anyone wondered why the cover art shows a malice funnel/tornado near the Rito, but in the last trailer the funnel/tornado was not made of any Malice. In some scenes in the last trailer, there was no funnel/tornado near the Rito at all. Strange.

Everything else regarding Zelda, I agree though. It’s very odd in a sense that, with SS and BotW and WW, Zelda seems primed to have a very active role in the story. She’s got amazing potential with characterization from a fearsome pirate leader to a bold and independent researcher going against what’s expected of her. Like Nintendo sets up such interesting things with her character but is afraid to take it all the way and execute it well. It’s just a bizarre pattern at this point.
I think Nintendo really wants Link (and therefore the player) to be the ultimate hero of the story, but they also don't want Zelda to be a complete damsel, so they keep coming up with ways to make her more interesting and give her things to do and be active and important, but the 'Link must be the hero' attitude stops them from pushing it too far in that direction and they always have to hold her back somehow. I love Zelda in WW, SS, and BOTW, but that's all true there, unfortunately. A playable Zelda would solve most of those problems, but I don't think they're going to do it, at least not yet. We'll see! At the very least having her be more active in the story alongside you and doing things concurrently would be nice.

I think Nintendo really wants Link (and therefore the player) to be the ultimate hero of the story, but they also don't want Zelda to be a complete damsel, so they keep coming up with ways to make her more interesting and give her things to do and be active and important, but the 'Link must be the hero' attitude stops them from pushing it too far in that direction and they always have to hold her back somehow. I love Zelda in WW, SS, and BOTW, but that's all true there, unfortunately. A playable Zelda would solve most of those problems, but I don't think they're going to do it, at least not yet. We'll see! At the very least having her be more active in the story alongside you and doing things concurrently would be nice.

I honestly feel that, despite issues with its story and ironically even stripping Zelda of some of her arc from BotW, Age of Calamity got the closest.

I can’t remember all the details, but I definitely left the game with the impression that Zelda was the main character.

But yeah, the insistence on Link being the hero will always hold them back

I honestly feel that, despite issues with its story and ironically even stripping Zelda of some of her arc from BotW, Age of Calamity got the closest.

I can’t remember all the details, but I definitely left the game with the impression that Zelda was the main character.

But yeah, the insistence on Link being the hero will always hold them back
Ehhh, don't agree there. I thought that Age of Calamity kind of ruined her character, to be honest. But I really hate the entire plot of that game and the direction it went, so I'm probably not the person to discuss it.

Some kind of switch-off between Link and Zelda in TOTK is my biggest hope given what we know, but I'm leaning toward it not happening. If playable Zelda was one of the 'big secrets' they've been hiding this whole time, though, then I would be ecstatic.

What do you think all those odd flying objects over North America were?

tim-remmers-tinglefloat800.gif

and people complaining Nintendo isn't going all-out on marketing for Zelda... ;)

Ehhh, don't agree there. I thought that Age of Calamity kind of ruined her character, to be honest. But I really hate the entire plot of that game and the direction it went, so I'm probably not the person to discuss it.

Some kind of switch-off between Link and Zelda in TOTK is my biggest hope given what we know, but I'm leaning toward it not happening. If playable Zelda was one of the 'big secrets' they've been hiding this whole time, though, then I would be ecstatic.
this would explain a lot if Zelda is playable & Nintendo is trying to keep a secret with this marketing...

Nintendo dedicating a page towards what people should do to prepare for Tears by telling them to exhaust everything you can do in the world

Folks are gonna burn out on this largely unchanged map before the glorified DLC releases /s

Nintendo dedicating a page towards what people should do to prepare for Tears by telling them to exhaust everything you can do in the world

Folks are gonna burn out on this largely unchanged map before the glorified DLC releases /s
That sounds honestly silly (imho).

The thing about "completing everything before you do something else" is that "everything" never ends.

What did he say about them?
Basically that they should do them like every other dev is. That Breath of the Wild's are too simple, too plain.

He also doesn't like the fact that weapon, shields and bows have their own respective buttons on the d-pad???

Never in my life have I disagreed with someone more about video game stuff than I disagreed with Jake from GameXplain about the Menus in Breath of the Wild.

Not sure what he’s on about.

The criticism around them being bland is fair, but I actually like the style. It unopinionated and easy on the eyes. The rest confused me. How are grids and lists bad? And what’s the alternative that’s somehow infinitely better? And I don’t know what the weapon / shield mapping complaint was about.

The very fair critique in there is about opening chests with a full inventory. That one should be fixed for sure.

"We appreciate Nintendo for how they are able to deviate from the trends of mainstream video games, but there are some things that I'm like: "Guys, there's a reason a lot of people do it like this."" - Jake about the Menus of Breath of the Wild.

Just... just no.

If Tears of the Kingdom turns its menus into Destiny, I'm drop kicking someone.

The only other information I can think of adding is weapon durability.

Not watching the vid, but I'm not sure what else there would be to include. There's a lot of hidden systems in Botw, but adding values for all that would be needlessly confusing. They're hidden for a reason.

Now, the way shield ratings work is not great. Because it's not what you'd expect which is how much damage it takes. I still can't remember what the number actually means, and I've watched a video telling me like 4 times over the years, haha.

Last edited:
On second thought, they might just have not articulated it that well. If I think about it it also was a bit of a pain to swap gear sets.

There are definitely improvements to be made over Breath of the Wild, but making it like the rest of the industry offerings isn’t necessarily the answer.

I would never be a good youtuber...

"Our top concerns'''"

My title would be "things totk can do better than botw"

Idk the first one already has a negative vibe about the game imo. While the second title is just much more of a positive vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom