• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The 2024 Completed Games Thread

meatbag

happiness
Greetings and salutations to all you fine Fami-folk. Hopefully you have dined and wined to your heart's content, because now that you're in this thread, we're getting right back to business.

Here we reinforce our resolution to bring about our backlog's obliteration. Kick some video game ass, Fami. And maybe tell us a thing or two about your adventures!

We're back in business!

My backlog has only gotten larger in 2023, and I doubt this year will be any different; unless publishers suddenly decide it's a good idea to slow down.

Aww yeah, first 'watched' thread of 2024.

Super excited to follow along with everyone's gaming journeys this year. Famiboards is such a cozy place. <3

This year I hope to play more strategy games, and read more visual novels.

My final 2023 tally was:

Destiny 2: Lightfall
Fire Emblem Engage
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
The Great Ace Attorney Adventures
Final Fantasy 16
Gears of War 4
Halo 3
Halo Reach
Star Ocean: Second Story R
Super Mario RPG
Shantae and the Seven Sirens

Not finished yet but close:
Metroid Prime Remastered
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Pikmin 4

I should complete some games this year
Get yourself a short-ish game and chow down! Get the ball rolling!

unless publishers suddenly decide it's a good idea to slow down
If we could somehow give all video game developers a paid one-year break, that would be swell lol

This year I hope to play more strategy games, and read more visual novels
I'm definitely gonna try and play more strategy games and other PC-centric genres this year. Need to remember I have Steam!

Not finished yet but close:
Nice, already some offerings for your 2024 list

Wait a sec, I'm still in 2023!

Last year, I got a good amount of games done. But I didn't make much of a dent in my backlog, and Ieft quite a few games left unfinished. This year, I have a goal: For every game I buy, I need to complete at least two games. Could be backlog, could be the game itself. Replays don't count! This will be the way to finally make progress in games I've wanted to play, broaden my horizons in genres I want to play more of, finish off childhood games I never finished, and engage more in my hobby.

Like in 2023, I'll be using this post to track games. I won't be differentiating between games started before 2024 - I'm just gonna play as I go. I will differentiate replays, though!

Games Purchased
  • PICROSS S9
  • Frogsong
  • Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
  • Another Code: Recollection
  • Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  • Cavern of Dreams
  • Logiart Grimoire
  • Princess Peach: Showtime!
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE
  • stitch.
  • River City Girls 2
Games Completed in 2024
  1. Pixel Puzzle Makeout League
  2. WHAT THE GOLF?
  3. Annalynn
  4. Celeste 64: Fragments of the Mountain
  5. Frogsong
  6. Super Kiwi 64: Doomsday
  7. Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit
  8. Sonic 1 SMS Remake
  9. Sonic 2 SMS Remake
  10. Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore
  11. Splatoon 3: Side Order
  12. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Master System)
  13. Super Mario World Widescreen
  14. Wonder Boy in Monster World
  15. Monster World IV
  16. Mario Golf (Game Boy Color | NSO)
  17. Mario Tennis: Power Tour
  18. Princess Peach: Showtime!
Replays
  1. Super Kiwi 64
  2. Mario Tennis (Game Boy Color | NSO)

Last edited:
Excuse me sir but it is still 2023 for another fifteen minutes for the eastern United States.

Thanks for the thread pal.

Final review for 2023 (was waiting to beat the other 2 games before review, but should prob just do now)
Spyro the dragon: If the next 2 games are this good, Spyro will officially be better than Crash IMO. This feel like this next step after Crash, with a greater focus on 3D platforming unlike the partially 2d platforming in Crash

Leaving this here as an easy access record for myself. Comparing 2022 and 2023, I'm impressed that I managed to clear so much of my backlog. For once, I'm clearing more backlog than I'm acquiring new games.

Currently playing Super Mario RPG now so that's going to be first on my 2024 completed list. Probably will roll credits in a couple of days. Then I'll just play some short indie games till 11 Jan when I plan to wrap up Pokemon Violet's DLC.

As for the rest of the year, I want to try and finish the Atelier Ryza trilogy. And if I manage to get my hands on a cheap copy of Pikmin 4 on the secondhand market, that. Probably Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes and Fire Emblem Engage at some point of the year.

Hopefully, 365 days from now, I will look back on this post and had accomplish what I said here.

Last edited:
I'm gonna start logging my beaten games here as a New Year's Resolution.

I beat this last night, but I'll include it for 2024 to kick off the year: Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. Been revisiting it to get prepared for eventually marathoning multiple Resident Evil games to properly get myself educated on it, and it's been a classic. I do not like any of the bosses though, and QTEs are absolutely awful. I despise how so many defensive maneuvers are tied to them, and avoiding damage otherwise is just awkwardly huddling the enemy.

Here's to more beating games!

Every game I beat in 2023, I was really exited to finally have an avenue to get my thoughts out on the games I play when I found the 2023 thread, so thanks to meatbag for making it!
-God of war: 8/10
-Katamari damacy: king of all cosmos/10
-Pikmin 2: 10/10
-Pikmin 4: 10/10
-Sonic frontiers: 8/10
-Dynamite Heady: head/10
-Tekken 1-3, street fighter 2-3, killer instinct, mortal kombat 1-3, KOF 98: 6/10
-Pepsi man: 7/10
-Metroid 2, Return of Samus: 7/10
-Mario land 2: 9/10
-DBZ, budokai tenchiachi 2: 7/10
-Metroid prime remastered: 9/10
-Kirby’s return to dreamland deluxe: 8.5/10
-Kirby super star ultra: 9/10
-Kirby and the amazing mirror: 11/10
-Zelda, the minish cap: 7.5/10
-A link to the past: 7/10
-The legend of Zelda: 6/10
-The legend of Zelda, Tears of The Kingdom: 11/10
-Apes escape 2: 422/10
-Gran turismo 2: Fun/10
-Grand theft auto, Vice City: 7/10
-KuruKuruKururin: 6/10
-Yoshi’s Island DS: 6/10
-Yoshi’s wooly world: 9/10
-Flicky: Fun game: 5/10
-Mario party 8: 4/10
-Metried fusion: 8/10
-Ocarina of time: 11/10
-Sonic 1: 7/10
-Sonic 2: 7.5/10
-Sonic CD: 8.5/10
-Sonic 3 and knuckles: 8/10
-Joy mech fight: 6/10
-Kirby’s super star stacker: 5/10
-Excite Bike 64: 6/10
-F-zero 99: 7/10
-Lego marvel super hero’s 2: 4/10
-Lego Star Wars, the complete saga: 8/10,
-TF2: 8/10
-Left for dead 2: 8/10
-Brawlhala:1/10, the price really tells you all you need to know about the games quality
-SCP the escape: 7/10
-Darkstalkers 3: 6/10
-Halo combat evolved: 9/10
-Halo 2: 8/10
-Dragon ball FighterZ: 8/10 (forgot to give this one a score originally, oh well)
-Marvel vs. Street fighter: 6/10
-Mario kart 8 deluxe, booster course pass: 9/10
-Tetris attack: 8/10
-Guilty gear: 6/10
-Parappa the rapper: 8/10
-Super Mario RPG, no longer Legend of the Seven Stars: 11/10
-Mario Odysseus (replay): 11/10
-Jack box party pack: 6/10 usually, 7/10 on good days
-Spider guy: 8.5/10 (also forgot to give this one a score originally WTF)
-Other spider guy: 8/10
-Godzilla minus one (Game Boy Advance player): 9/10 (look, I get this isn’t a game, but I really wanted to review it okay? So let me have this)
-Star Wars battlefront: 6.5/10 (I would give this a 6 now) i
-Tekken 4: 7.5/10 (I would give this a 7 now)
-GTA 3: 20/10 (you might wanna read my review on the 2023 thread for this one, it’s in the middle of page 24)
-SONIIIIIIIC SUPASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS: 8/10
-Sonic symphony (it’s a game character so I’m counting it as a game): 20/10
-PARAPPA THE RAPPA 2222222222222222: 8/10

Edit: Some games I forgot
-Crusin USA: 7/10
-Need for speed 2/3: Ehhhhhhhhhhhh/10
-Gran truismo 1: 6/10
-Pocket fighter: 7/10
-Capcom Vs SNK: 7/10
-Mr Driller: 7/10
-Gubble for PS1: gubble/10
-X-Men Vs Street fighter: 6/10

Last edited:
Every game I beat in 2023, I was really exited to finally have an avenue to get my thoughts out on the games I play when I found the 2023 thread, so thanks to meatbag for making it!
-God of war: 8/10
-Katamari damacy: king of all cosmos/10
-Pikmin 2: 10/10
-Pikmin 4: 10/10
-Sonic frontiers: 8/10
-Dynamite Heady: head/10
-Tekken 1-3, street fighter 2-3, killer instinct, mortal kombat 1-3, KOF 98: 6/10
-Pepsi man: 7/10
-Metroid 2, Return of Samus: 7/10
-Mario land 2: 9/10
-DBZ, budokai tenchiachi 2: 7/10
-Metroid prime remastered: 9/10
-Kirby’s return to dreamland deluxe: 8.5/10
-Kirby super star ultra: 9/10
-Kirby and the amazing mirror: 11/10
-Zelda, the minish cap: 7.5/10
-A link to the past: 7/10
-The legend of Zelda: 6/10
-The legend of Zelda, Tears of The Kingdom: 11/10
-Apes escape 2: 422/10
-Gran turismo 2: Fun/10
-Grand theft auto, Vice City: 7/10
-KuruKuruKururin: 6/10
-Yoshi’s Island DS: 6/10
-Yoshi’s wooly world: 9/10
-Flicky: Fun game: 5/10
-Mario party 8: 4/10
-Metried fusion: 8/10
-Ocarina of time: 11/10
-Sonic 1: 7/10
-Sonic 2: 7.5/10
-Sonic CD: 8.5/10
-Sonic 3 and knuckles: 8/10
-Joy mech fight: 6/10
-Kirby’s super star stacker: 5/10
-Excite Bike 64: 6/10
-F-zero 99: 7/10
-Lego marvel super hero’s 2: 4/10
-Lego Star Wars, the complete saga: 8/10,
-TF2: 8/10
-Left for dead 2: 8/10
-Brawlhala:1/10, the price really tells you all you need to know about the games quality
-SCP the escape: 7/10
-Darkstalkers 3: 6/10
-Halo combat evolved: 9/10
-Halo 2: 8/10
-Dragon ball FighterZ: 8/10 (forgot to give this one a score originally, oh well)
-Marvel vs. Street fighter: 6/10
-Mario kart 8 deluxe, booster course pass: 9/10
-Tetris attack: 8/10
-Guilty gear: 6/10
-Parappa the rapper: 8/10
-Super Mario RPG, no longer Legend of the Seven Stars: 11/10
-Mario Odysseus (replay): 11/10
-Jack box party pack: 6/10 usually, 7/10 on good days
-Spider guy: 8.5/10 (also forgot to give this one a score originally WTF)
-Other spider guy: 8/10
-Godzilla minus one (Game Boy Advance player): 9/10 (look, I get this isn’t a game, but I really wanted to review it okay? So let me have this)
-Star Wars battlefront: 6.5/10 (I would give this a 6 now) i
-Tekken 4: 7.5/10 (I would give this a 7 now)
-GTA 3: 20/10 (you might wanna read my review on the 2023 thread for this one, it’s in the middle of page 24)
-SONIIIIIIIC SUPASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS: 8/10
-Sonic symphony (it’s a game character so I’m counting it as a game): 20/10
-PARAPPA THE RAPPA 2222222222222222: 8/10

Edit: Some games I forgot
-Crusin USA: 7/10
-Need for speed 2/3: Ehhhhhhhhhhhh/10
-Gran truismo 1: 6/10
-Pocket fighter: 7/10
-Capcom Vs SNK: 7/10
-Mr Driller: 7/10
-Gubble for PS1: gubble/10
-X-Men Vs Street fighter: 6/10
-I beat: Roughly 80 games (counting clay fighter which I forgot to rank, 5/10 BTW)
-The average rating for a game was: 7.45, or 7.4875 if I’m being generous with the scoring (ranking the ones I’m mixed on as high as possible)
-The 3 best gaming experiences I had in 2023 were: The sonic symphony, Mario RPG, and Mario Odyssey replay
-The 2 worst gaming experience I had into 2023 were: Brawlhala and Lego marvel superheroes 2
-The series I played the most of was: Sonic the hedgehog
-The game I had the most hours in was: Tears of the Kingdom

BOUGHT

PLAYED

COMPLETED

This year I will just be focusing on Switch and Steam Deck, I’ve got a lot of games on each to play through so hopefully I won’t be buying too much outside of big sales.

So excited for a new year and a new thread! First, my number one goal is yet again to beat 50+ games this year 😤 ! I didn't get to that number last year, only beat 32 (33 if you count Overwatch 2 since I did count Lethal Company), but I want to make it this year.

I'm currently playing Hi-Fi Rush, Stay Out of the House, Death Stranding, and Thief Gold, and also am going to buy Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3 and Separate Ways before the Steam sale ends 😬 So that isn't going to help the backlog.

Speaking of backlog, here's the games I started and dropped or put on hold in 2023, I plan to beat most of these in 2024!
  • Fire Emblem Engage: This one is just kinda mediocre, not bad, but not worth spending more time on, it's not the kind of mediocre game you can learn interesting game design lessons from, I'm probably going to drop it even though I try not to drop games,
  • Blasphemous: This one is great and I really want to finish it as I'm at the final boss, I just need to accept the grind of finishing the sidequest to get the overpowered magic spell I need to cheese the boss.
  • Cave Story+: Like Blasphemous this is one I love, I just need to actually finish it. After I finish it I might start a replay to do the alternative route since it's apparently harder and has a different ending. The gameplay is super good even if the beginning is pretty slow.
  • Signalis: This is an indie horror game I love but I just didn't finish it. It's a bit slow and doesn't have the greatest progression but it's very good. Might just restart this one.
  • The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve: Technically I started this in 2022 which was already a restart from 2021, but I played most of it in 2023. I'm already at case 4 so I really want to beat it.
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: I liked this one a lot, but it might be a lowkey drop. It's really really good but after playing about 8 hours I think I'd rather prioritize other Atlus games like Nocturne first.
Some general gaming goals, I want to use the first half of 2024 to beat backlog games since I imagine the Switch 2 won't come out till later in the first half of the year at the earliest, I want to beat some classic PC games like Half-Life, the Thief series, and some DOOM games, and I want to get into fighting games with Street Fighter 6.

i've finished very few games for the past 3 years, starting in 2021. my goal this year is to play a lot more and finally start and finish some games i've been putting off for years. starting with dragon quest xi s, which i'm gonna start today. i hope i can finish at least one game a month this year.

Last edited:
I love this thread. Although I crashed and burned early in last year's thread, I hope I can make a steady pace this year. I didn't complete my goal last year and yeah, my backlog got bigger, but I hope to make my goal this year. I tried to aim for having a goal of just 10 backlog games left over, but due to depression funks and just simply buying more stuff I didn't make it. So, I'm going to shoot for getting it down to 15-20 games, since I'm starting off at 33 lmao. I just get interested in so many games. and end up buying more than I expect. Going to try to complete 2 games for every new game I buy, so maybe that will help a bit too.

And with that I have an entry to start off the new year!

1. Ace Angler Fishing Spirits- I completed the main story, so because of that I'm counting that as beaten for now. I will actively play it, especially now since a new event started today. I like all the different options in how to play and I often switch between buttons and motion. I ended up missing 20 fish total with most of my left overs being rare alt bosses , which is just playing the hope you get the spawn. ( more than usual for the game anyway) and there's also an aquarium to collect fish for. In order to collect fish for the aquarium you have to play this gacha machine, which I'm not the biggest fan of, but I get it they want to inflate play time a bit. So, I'm missing about 50 of those and to be honest I don't want to just grind that out for the sake of completing it, I will just naturally try to complete it over time and if it happens to get 100% then so be it.

The game has several modes and seems to get updates semi often. In the last winter update they added a shoot em up side game where you just shoot your net at fish and boss fish. There's this medal pushing game to earn money, mini games and online. I was actually finding people online, but I didn't get to move up in ranking since whenever I won someone would disconnect and it wouldn't count. Then you have the story and main arcade mode, the story is good to semi tell you how to play ( there's some differences in the arcade part) . The arcade mode is most likely where most people will spend most of their time with the game.

The arcade mode has such a good loop once you unlock more stages and random events. So, each time you play it's not going to be exactly the same. There's instances where you can just bypass a stage all together or it just hijack by a random competition or rare enemy fish . Now there are times where getting one of those things to happen may not be exactly what you want, but it helps the game from becoming a set pattern in stage progression and if you are playing like how I am then you greatly want that. Now starting off may be a bit intimidating since you basically need to use your in game currency for everything. Once you earn enough money though through some of the other modes it doesn't become too much of a concern, even less if you don't care about collecting rods, clothes or using money instead of tickets for the gacha aquarium. The more you play the better you will become at fishing too and you should be earning way more. Also, they just fixed the prices for buying new stages, of course right after I bought them all. lol

This game was also nice enough to let me play some past events I missed. There was one for collecting this fish for this manga character, collecting the mascot fish from the plaza, and the team up event of learning about aquariums across Japan or something. I thought that was really neat since often times events are locked out if you just missed them.

I most likely went too hard on this in such a short time, but I really had a great time with this. I think I easily got my $20 out of it and I am looking forward to slowing down a bit and playing more causally now. I always loved fishing mini games in games and I'm glad I gave this a try. Honestly speaking I probably would have been fine paying the full $40 for this, but I understand that is going to greatly vary between most people. For now, I'm happy I have another rotation game to play on the days where I can't decide what new game to start.

I want to beat some classic PC games like Half-Life, the Thief series, and some DOOM games, and I want to get into fighting games with Street Fighter 6
I fully support each and every one of your decisions. 50 games in a year is almost one game per week. That's gonna be tough, but I believe in you!

2024 is all about the catch-ups and replays!
Meanwhile, the next Nintendo Direct snickers softly in the corner...

I always loved fishing mini games in games and I'm glad I gave this a try
I was thinking about getting Ace Angler, so thank you for your impressions!

Alrighty, trying to play more games this year and cut down on the time I waste on online games. Will keep a record in this post.

Games completed
1. Super Mario RPG (Switch)
2. Quake 2 remaster (Steam Deck) - all campaigns
3. Yakuza 3 (Series S)
4. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Switch - NSO)
5. Pokemon Violet: The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero + Epilogue (Switch)
6. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Steam Deck)
7. Celeste 64: Fragments of the Mountain (Steam Deck)
8. Cassette Beasts (Steam Deck)
9. Balatro (Switch)
10. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)
11. Grim Dawn: Definitive Edition (Series S)
12. Lies of P (Series S)
13. PokéRogue (Browser game)
14. Pokémon Crystal Legacy (GBC)

Replays
1. Final Fantasy VII (Switch)

Last edited:
I might have to skip my new years tradition of playing a bunch of short retro games because I've just moved, my house is a mess and I start a new job tomorrow so I don't have the energy.

Last year I was able to beat 30 games which was very cool. This year I'll try to go again for my goal of 48 games or 1 game per week on average.

January

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (replay) - 10
2. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - 7

February

3. FFVII Remake Episode Intermission (replay) - 10
4. Anodyne - 4
5. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (replay) - 9
6. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (replay) - 8.5
7. Shovel Knight Showdown (Story Mode) - 6

March

8. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 10,000,000

April

9. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - 8

Abandoned

1. Silent Hill: The Short Message - 2

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of us will be completing 2023 games instead of 2024 games this year lmfao.

I completed 20 games last year. Probably won't play that many this year tbh.

Here we go: 2024 Completed Games. Going to keep an archive on this post to help me keep track.

1. Pokémon Legends Arceus - I got an inkling to play this right when the new year started and it immediately hooked me. It is, bar none, the best Pokémon game since the 90’s. It has a baffling story and terrible dialogue, but I really hope Game Freak irons the kinks and tries this formula again.

2. Golden Sun - What a neat little game! Story is definitely a bit rudimentary, but the Djinn system is a very cool idea. I can definitely see why people want a new game for Switch. Kinda felt like Nintendo's take on Dragon Quest. I entered in the 6-page password to get my shit into The Lost Age so I will definitely give that a try down the line.

3. Metroid Dread - I have a new mantra for playing games in 2024. I no longer care about "keeping up"; there will for sure be games that look interesting to me that I just won't have time for and thats okay. I need to start playing games I love for the sake of having fun. And Metroid Dread was a great example of this new philosophy. I played it 1 and a half times at release, but this time I started a new file and plowed through, not worrying about 100%ing it. I think it's the best Metroid. It's so unbelievably good.

4. Pikmin 2 - Was really itching for some extra Pikmin fun and I only ever played the first little bit of Pikmin 2. I remember dropping it pretty quickly because it was just ridiculously hard and I was very close to dropping it again in 2024, but I pressed on! I reached the credits, landed in the newly unlocked 4th zone, got all of my white Pikmin demolished by the monster that shoots the homing rock, closed the app, and started Prince of Persia. Was very fun to play old-school Pikmin in a new way but I will likely never touch this game again lol.

5. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - this game FUCKS. Had it's fair share of bugs and crashes unfortunately but that's par for the UbiCourse. The actual game is phenomenal all the way through. Bosses are all so exciting and hard but everything is pretty clearly telegraphed. And the goddamn Raging Sea area has to be a top 5 setpiece in a Metroidvania. Pirate ships frozen in time as they're destroyed. Jaw-dropping stuff. I'd be really surprised if this game didn't wind up in my Top 5 for 2024.

6. Balatro - So I don't know if there are credits to this or "completing" it, but I have played it a bunch already and will play it for the remainder of the year so I'm including it. It's so incredibly addicting in the same way that Vampire Survivors was. I'm calling it now that it's the indie darling of the year. I'll repeat myself from my Prince of Persia post. If it doesn't wind up in my top 5 for the year, I'll be shocked.

7. Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Episode INTERmission - In preparation for ReBirth, I wanted to try playing through Remake again but there were just too many things in my docket. Then I remembered that in the 2 and a half years since I paid for the PS5 upgrade for FF7R, I never played Yuffie's story. So I figured now's a better time than any. I really enjoyed it. Her gameplay was super fun, and turned out to be a nice introduction to ReBirth.

8. Final Fantasy 7 VII ReBirth - I am in the midst of writing my full thoughts for the ST, but boiling it down, FF7RB is a reminder of what games used to promise. Epic adventures with twists and turns, new monsters to fight, new stories to discover, new lands that feel like they’re lived in. It’s an adventure with the density of a 90’s JRPG, despite the fact that this only “retells” the middle sliver of the original Final Fantasy 7’s story. And yet, despite this initiative, perhaps Square Enix was overambitious in their delivery, because I felt there were certain missteps that are easily fixed, or shortsighted problems whose solutions are present later in the game.

Last edited:
Portal (Switch)

Not really on my backlog as I bought it last week. Really fun though. I never played the original on PC or other consoles so I don't know how the port stacks up. I got caught on some walls/corners, and there was a loading delay upon dying, particularly falling into the goo/toxic water. Once you hit the bottom, you have to move slightly to actually die and trigger auto-starting from the last save. Nothing too serious.

I get headaches with most first person games. The faster the view moves, the more likely I'm going to have a bad time. Most of Portal is fine as it generally isn't a fast-paced game. In the later test chambers, it gets a little dicey with the more complex linear momentum puzzles especially one where you have to keep alternating portals to ascend vertically in a room. I started feeling nauseated and had to step away from the game.

Was planning to beat Ghost Trick yesterday but ran out of time so it spilled over to 2024. But I guess having a good start is neat even though I played all chapters but the last one in 2023 lol.

Currently having 3 games on my to buy list during Q1
Prince of Persia
Unicorn Overlord
Princes Peach Showtime

so I could beat some games I bought last year, because I bought many of them :p
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought

Jan

#1 Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series [NSW]
#2 Stormgate (kickstarter) [PC]
#3 Prince of Persia - The Lost Crown [NSW]
#4 Batman: Arkham Trilogy [NSW]
#5 Spiritfarer [NSW] (already have it digitally, so strictly a collection purpose)

Feb
#6 Eastward: Octopia [NSW]
#7 Pikmin 1+2 HD [NSW]

Mar
#8 Unicorn Overlord

Beaten

Jan

#1 - Ghost Trick [NSW]
#2 - Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown [NSW]

Feb
#3 - Super Mario RPG [NSW]
#4 - Hoa [NSW]
#5 - Little Nightmares II [NSW]

Mar
#6 Batman Arkham Asylum [NSW]
#7 Dr. Mario [NSO-GB]

Last edited:
Idk how people have extensive backlogs. I just consider games I never played as me having abandoned them/not liked them enough. Sometimes I get new inspiration to check one out but in general if I liked it enough I would have put some hours into it.

But as for future games

I likely will complete:

Princess Peach
Prince of Persia
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

I might complete:

Rise of the Ronin
Dragon's Dogma II

That's all I can think of for this year so far.

I'm hoping to participate in this thread this year! Last year I played and finished for the first time:
  • V Rising
  • Yakuza 3
  • Halo Reach
  • Halo 3
  • Pizza Tower
  • Metroid Prime Remastered (I had played MP1 before many times)
  • Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2
  • Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo
  • Tekken 7
  • Resident Evil 4 (2023)
  • The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
  • IMMORTALITY
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 + Knuckles
  • OFF by Mortis Ghost
  • Neon White
  • Pikmin 4
  • GOD HAND
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Monster Hunter Now
  • Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways
  • Yakuza 4
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Spider-Man Remastered
  • WarioWare Move It
  • Everhood
  • Exoprimal
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Rollerdrome

I replayed a bunch of other games that I haven't really been tracking, but I'm chipping away at a Pokemon series replay in preparation of Bank dying someday. So far I've finished Emerald, Platinum, Leafgreen, and Heartgold.

I started playing Sifu right before the end of the year and it's incredible, potentially a top 10 favourite of all time. We'll see how it turns out once I finish it, but so far 2024 is starting strong.

I'm approaching the end of Super Mario RPG, so that'll be my first completion of the year. I ignore my Pile of Shame, but here's 2023 titles I'd piled up as of the end of the year and which I aim to play this year:

• A Highland Song (probably up next after Mario)
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (not sure when to start given the Xbox save bug)
  • Baten Kaitos I & II
  • Final Fantasy II through VI (Pixel Remasters; I should do at least a couple of these this year)
  • Star Ocean 2 remake

There's also post-game content in Sea of Stars and Super Mario Bros Wonder for me to return to. There's a couple of things on NSO that are definitely in my sights:

• The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  • Metroid Fusion

And, finally, there's some recent indies discounted right now which I'm thinking of buying:

• Dredge
  • Chants of Sennaar
  • Roots of Pacha

Oh, and on top of that, part of me was thinking I should play the 3D Mario games available on Switch right up to Mario Odyssey (which I only played once back at release) in chronological order ahead of the possible launch this year of a new 3D Mario...

Apart from discounted indies, I'm intending to avoid buying stuff until March.

Full games:
  1. Another Code: Recollection
  2. Bishi Bashi Arcade
  3. Elden Ring
  4. Unicorn Overlord
DLC/Updates:
  1. Pokémon Shield - The Crown Tundra
  2. Pokémon Scarlet - Mochi Mayhem
Ongoing games:
  1. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
  2. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
  3. World of Warcraft: Dragonflight
  4. League of Legends
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Demo's
  1. Another Code Recollection
  2. Unicorn Overlord
  3. Princess Peach: Showtime!

Forgot to add in the 2023 topic, but finished Pokémon White yesterday. Currently ping-ponging between Pokémon White 2, Pokémon X and Super Mario RPG. I also want to make a start with Metroid Prime Remastered but I still keep playing other stuff :p.

Last edited:
We are back! After beating 39 games in 2023 and 46 games in 2022, I am ready to take on 2024. This will be a much bigger backlog year, hopefully lol. I'm actually working on something pretty cool that I'm hoping to 100% complete this year.

January
-Splatoon 3 (NSW)
-Wild Arms (PS5)

February
-Kirby: Return to Dreamland Deluxe (NSW)
-Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS5)
-Gears of War 2 (Xbox)
-Splatoon 3: Side Order (NSW)
-Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (NSW/NSO)

March
-Super Mario Bros (NSW/NSO)*

Total- 8
Switch- 5
->NSO- 2
PS5- 2
Xbox- 1

*Replay

Last edited:
My 2024 year-in-review
u7dAZJ1.gif

01 — Jamestown+
An approachable shmup with lots of charm and a unique setting. There are quite a few ships to unlock and mess with; I grew to like the Ghost, which lets you plant a copy of yourself onscreen that takes some of your ordinance but allows you to cover two areas at a time. Other types are total duds, and there are some other distractions — namely that enemies could use more distinction from the background at times, a fairly pressing issue for a genre so chaotic! A fine start to the year.

Last edited:
Naively attempting to put a freeze on game purchases until Switch 2

But DLC doesn't count, so I'll play Splatoon 3: Side Order when it releases

From what I already own, I want to play:
Ring Fit Adventure
Prey & Mooncrash (again)
Outer Wilds
Pikmin 4
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (thanks Santa)

And these should come to Game Pass:
Hollow Knight: Silksong, with complimentary red nose & large shoes
Citizen Sleeper 2: Starward Vector
STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl

I’ll probably try Still Wakes The Deep and Harold Halibut too

If I complete anything, I'll post

Current back catalogue:

Paper Mario the thousand year door
Super paper Mario
Earthbound
Wario land 4
Overcooked 2
Mario sunshine
Pokemon black
Pokemon soul silver
Paper Mario the origami salami
Mario rabbids
Mario and luigi partners in time
Sonic Advanced 3
Metroid prime 2
Hitman shitman 2
Fire emblem
KH
Chrono Trigger
FF4
Halo 4

19 games yet to beat not counting the games I just got for Christmas, wish me luck

Last edited:
Stuff that I want to finish in the coming months because I started a save (somewhat ranked by priority)

Alan Wake 2 - Waited for the NG+ patch (plus performance fixes) but haven't been able to put in much time since
A Link to the Past - been meaning to replay this for ages and now I finally got into a groove again
Bayonetta Origins - I think I'm like a third of the game in

I finished a game?

Despite my post above, I started the year with Spelunky

I've played an unholy amount of Spelunky 2 (yes, I'm still bad at it) but had barely touched the first

Didn't take too long to get a full winning run, which I'll count as completion

As for the game itself -

It's a perfect blend between moreish and esoteric that insists you have another run

Maybe you'll find a key to that mystery door, or a means to kill that weird thing that fried your brain last time. Or maybe you'll die to a bat on 1-1

It has its own distinct identity in comparison to its sequel too, with a darker, more primal vibe (and catchier music)

Cadence of Hyrule was a really interesting collaboration between Nintendo and an indie dev, and I'd love to see Derek Yu & co. do a 2D Mario spin-off

It’d be an opportunity to lean into the secret hunting that Spelunky does so well, that Super Mario Bros. Wonder teased but didn't fully realise (and with a difficulty curve that’s a bit more challenging for experienced Mario-ers)

Spelunky - ★★★★★

First game completed this year is Super Mario RPG (Switch). I never played the original - it never came out here on SNES and I never got any VC releases - so I was a bit surprised to see how relatively little characters like Geno and the Axem Rangers are given in the game itself. Not a complaint, per se, the game is exactly the kind of light and breezy experience I was looking for and it's like a weird time capsule into 90s Square RPGs as well as a pretty unique take on Mario. Just not quite what I expected.

Beat the story, and did the superbosses from the original, called it there since I don't really care that much about post-game content and I was satisfied.

Other than that, continuing with the Quake 2 remaster (Steam Deck), I've now beat the main campaign and the two original official mission packs (The Reckoning and Ground Zero). Still don't like Quake 2 as much as Quake 1, it's a very drab game with an aesthetic that does nothing for me unlike the weird Lovecraft/sci-fi mix of 1. The compass they added in the remaster was a godsend for Ground Zero though, which has some horribly labyrinthine levels with a ton of tedious backtracking.

Right now, I'm playing through the Quake 2 64 campaign. This is a weird one. The N64 version used assets from Quake 2 to make an original campaign on the engine that powered Quake 1 64, resulting in a pretty different game. So in a strange bit of reciprocation, the Quake 2 64 campaign here takes those level designs and fits them back into the regular Quake 2 engine (or at least the KEX engine used for the remaster). It's a lot simpler than the main campaign and drops the connected level structure in favour of simple one and done levels, but it's an interesting trip, and a lot more colourful than the original. My biggest issue is that they dropped the Sonic Mayhem soundtrack for one done by Aubrey Hodges (who did Doom 64, PSX Doom, Quake 1 64 among others). Hodges' style is moody ambient tracks that create a sense of dread, which work brilliantly for a lot of the other Id games he worked on, but Quake 2 sorta has a more in your face style that doesn't really mesh well here at all.

1. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

What a way to start, huh.

A proper sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3 - inventive, fresh, and constantly surprising.

Nintendo has finally shed all traditions for Mario platformers and focused on making the games fun first and foremost which makes this one of the, if not THE best side-scrolling Mario adventure.

Even without the gimmick of Wonder seeds every level is inventive and unique, usually featuring at least one new enemy, which is insane for modern Mario. I always wanted to see what was waiting for me next. And while some enemies can be described as an "underwater koopa", presentation goes a long way to not make them feel like that.

Speaking of, presentation of this game is sublime. Even if you do venture through grasslands, beaches, deserts, and volcanoes, they always feel different. My favorite was the desert world which took a theme I usually find boring and applied some incredibly creative themes as well as jaw-droppingly stunning backgrounds.

If there is one thing that I wished this game had is more challenge. The game has tons of assist options: additional characters that take no damage, badges, and quite a few small "break time" levels which will surely help less experienced players get enough wonder seeds to open up new levels and progress. Despite that, it never really wanted to be as hard as it could be. I've cleared one of the very final post-game levels in three tries without help from any badges. Again, don't get me wrong, it was a spectacular level, but I wish game had just a few more levels in the vein of Mario World post-game or even extra levels of 3D World.

Hell, maybe I'm so Mario-poisoned I don't know what a hard Mario level is anymore, but considering the weird path to unlcoking Grandmaster Galaxy and sheer amount of extra content culminating in Champion Road of 3D World, I feel like Nintendo really could've thrown a bone to people who are experienced with sidescrollers.

Nonetheless, this game is a joy, pure and simple.

Reserving this spot for me. Didn't finish too many last year but nice to keep track. Hopefully more this year!

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - Feb 3
Ultros - Feb 19

Last edited:
I made The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past my first completed game of the year after all. Started it last year and stopped before the first Dark World dungeon. First time finishing it in like a decade if not longer.

Even though it's not my favourite it's still a masterpiece and quite daring especially compared to the later entries that got more and more handhold-y in the way they railroad the player. There's obviously still a lot the typical formula of having to use the dungeon item to solve the dungeon puzzles and beat the dungeon boss but it's nice when it deviates. My favourite example of this was when I made it to Trinexx, having forgotten that I actually need the Ice Rod for the fight so I had to go all the way back to Lake Hylia to get it. Speaking of, what a great selection of items and skills.

Dungeons are also great though despite blending together visually for the most part. It makes keeping them apart difficult but I do remember liking Eastern Palace when I played it last year. Of the Dark World dungeons I liked Thieves' Town, Misery Mire and Turtle Rock the best. I genuinely forgot how convoluted the layouts get in the late game.

That said, I found it a bit difficult to get back to it after all these years since I've played A Link Between Worlds multiple times in the meantime. ALTTP is better I'd say but it also feels extremely stiff in its movement and combat. There were countless times when I was locked in a direction for a moment too long and got hit or fell down a hole (and it's generally quite stingy when it comes to hearts) which can be frustrating. Throw in slippery floors and it becomes extra tedious. They don't hurt the overall game but I also don't think they add that much to it.

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

1. Super Mario RPG (Switch)

This was a really odd experience for me. It's the first time I've played it, so zero nostalgia, and it's not a game that really gelled with me all that much. I've rarely actively disliked it, but it's mostly not made much impact on me as I've been playing it. And, despite it being a fairly short game, it's taken a few weeks of on and off play to get through it.

Still, the music is gorgeous, it's pretty funny at times, and I really like the reworked visuals. It's great to see that 90s CG style worked into an actual game (and that's actually what I'd want from a Mario 64 remake). And I can finally cross another long-time iconic Nintendo title off of my list.

Speaking of which, I think I'll add Earthbound to my 2024 To Play List given it's 30 this summer.

Anyhow, plenty of options for my next game. Especially because I just bought Dredge...

My attempt at keeping a list failed last year, let's see how it goes this time. So far I've played through two small games:

80 Days: I've owned this for ages but never played completely through. After liking A Highland Song last year I thought I should give 80 Days another go, and was able to travel around the world within 75 days. Well written and full of surprises.

Rytmos: There was a very positive Eurogamer review and some praise on this forum, but for me this didn't quite work. The musical concept was interesting, but the puzzles felt like they solved themselves without any real heureka moments.

1. Splatoon 3 (NSW)

Finally rolled credits and cleared After Alterna after 525 hours played according to my Switch. Of course the game isn't that long, but I've been so hooked on the multiplayer that I got distracted from the campaign. This is my first Splatoon game thanks to the eager encouragement from a good friend. Shooters are very much not my thing; had a rough time getting into this at first. Eventually (read: 50 hours of multiplayer later) it started to click, and my obsession of 2023 was born.

The hybrid gameplay of puzzle platformer + shooter ended up being a winning formula for me. Now I'm officially ready for Side Order whenever that drops!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom