• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic The 2024 Completed Games Thread

MAIN POST

2x1_NSwitchDS_ChantsOfSennaar.jpg

GAME 4: Chants of Sennaar
PC | Completed 6/1/24 | 9 Hours Played | 8/10

A truly unique puzzle game that had some of the best 'ah-ha!' moments I've ever seen. Based around deciphering a small number of consistently-different languages, Sennaar is all about the intricacies of language, and how different cultures create, shape, and deploy it. Whilst - perhaps - the 'validation' system, and the accompanying journal images that help you along the way, make the game too easy, I feel that it was just easy enough myself to stop things from getting frustrating. An issue I could have easily seen the game having as, unfortunately, the sheer size of these levels (impressive at first, tedious the 4th time) is sometimes a noticeable barrier to the actual fun part: the language deciphering.

However, I can't deny the sheer 'cleverness' on display in this game, an element that rubs off on the player as it is designed very well to make you feel smart, even if you aren't really. It was when a particular moment in the game's first language that cemented the game in my top 10 of 2023 titles, and - despite a few crappy stealth sequences - the rest of the game did not change that.

Last edited:
3. Super Mario RPG

More RPGs should be 10-20 hours long.

I've always adored weird nature of Mario RPG and its breeziness, and nothing's changed in the remake. This is the definitive way to play this game if only due to graphics not being so messy anymore.

That said, I do wish it had a little more to it. The only thing of note added is some post-game content, which is welcome, but it's a little strange that a new difficulty added is an easier one. The game's new mechanics already make it even easier than the original, so I'd rather have a harder or at least a remixed mode.

As a remake, the game features some weird inclusions like cinematic cutscenes with no sound effects whatsoever, and keeps some of the original's weird kinks. If you were to ask me what would go in a remake of this game, I'd mention Yoshi eggs that pop up from certain enemies. It's a cool feature, but it's predetermined in such a way that you don't see them for a long time and then every battle showers you with more exp and coins because you keep encountering a certain enemy.

There's not much to say about this game that hasn't been said. It's a great time. Often quite funny and always charming, and it would be cool to see elements from it escape the copyright hell, as some of the weirder designs are incredibly fun.

My 2024 year-in-review
BCyvP4W.gif

04 — Diablo II: Resurrected
This has to be my most-played video game outside of an MMO; here is my attempt at a level-headed review all the same. It is a great action RPG, with wonderfully distinct classes and lots of directions in which to take them. The loot is damn-near perfection. It gives you just enough agency to tinker with your gear while still challenging you to make do with what you have, a delicate struggle I find a lot of loot games don’t get right.

It is also pretty punishing, and not always in an enjoyable way. The whole “try and loot your own corpse with all of your equipment taken away” gag wears thin real fast. Investing in more than two or three skills over the entire playtime of a character leaves you critically underpowered, which emphasizes your build choices but is mighty restrictive. Balancing can feel off, especially in solo play; you can be on an absolute tear through an area one moment and be evaporated by a single unique monster there the next. It is at the mercy of RNG in a way more contemporary games like this don’t allow, which is its gift and its curse! I always enjoy the return trip, and the remaster is in a great spot at this point.

Last edited:
Also figured since I'm writing all this stuff to Backloggd too, I'll share my grades.
1. Mario Wonder - 4.5/5
2. Metroid Prime Remastered - 4/5 (Frankly close to 3.5 but elevated due to game being a technical marvel and in general a miracle in 2002)
3. Mario RPG - 4/5

So far real good year for me. Probably won't crack more than a hundred this time because Yakuza 8 seems to be like 4 games in one and might be the first game to take me 200+ hours to beat

So after what felt like 50 crashes and a few hours of lost progress I finally finished Alan Wake II. I really cannot recommend the game if you're going to play on a Series S because it's clearly collapsing under the pressure of everything they do here. But I at some point I couldn't really stop because I wanted to keep playing and just had to make sure that I was saving frequently. If you haven't started it, go for a different platform or wait in the hopes that they patch it.

Other than that it's fantastic. The first Alan Wake was pretty blatantly Twin Peaks inspired and the sequel also feels like it mines a lot from The Return but twists and turns it in so many directions that it feels much more like its own thing. Including a twist that actually caught me off guard because I expected a straightforward Twin Peaks crib which actually made me think that it was intentional.

A lot has been said about the self-referential nature of the game and how uncompromising it is with how it deals with metatextuality. But I was more impressed with how it ties its gameplay mechanics into the narrative. There's so many creative ways in how they make the player take part in a predetermined story. It starts with the scenes that Alan can affect to one of the most harrowing moments I've ever played in a game. Loved it.

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  2. Alan Wake II

So after what felt like 50 crashes and a few hours of lost progress I finally finished Alan Wake II.
I’m sorry to hear that first part! I remember Irene having some ongoing trouble with crashing too. I had one bad stretch — during the Valhalla nursing home — where it crashed a bunch. I hard reset the Xbox and then it was fine! My NG+, also fine. So weird…

I’m sorry to hear that first part! I remember Irene having some ongoing trouble with crashing too. I had one bad stretch — during the Valhalla nursing home — where it crashed a bunch. I hard reset the Xbox and then it was fine! My NG+, also fine. So weird…
Did you also play on Series S? I read that it's not as bad on SX.

3. Metal Slug (RetroArch) [Finished January 6th, 2024] - 4.0/10:

M5QzeX9.jpg

1. Hi-Fi Rush (PC) [Finished January 4th, 2023] - 9.5-10/10
2. Astro's Playroom (PS5) [Finished January 5th, 2023] - 4.0/10
3. Metal Slug (RetroArch) [Finished January 6th, 2024] - 4.0/10

1. Hi-Fi Rush (PC) [Finished January 4th, 2023] - 9.5-10/10
2. Metal Slug (RetroArch) [Finished January 6th, 2024] - 4.0/10
3. Astro's Playroom (PS5) [Finished January 5th, 2023] - 4.0/10

My attempt at keeping a list failed last year, let's see how it goes this time. So far I've played through two small games:

80 Days: I've owned this for ages but never played completely through. After liking A Highland Song last year I thought I should give 80 Days another go, and was able to travel around the world within 75 days. Well written and full of surprises.

Rytmos: There was a very positive Eurogamer review and some praise on this forum, but for me this didn't quite work. The musical concept was interesting, but the puzzles felt like they solved themselves without any real heureka moments.
Finished Greak: Memories of Azure today. With most 2D adventure platformers taking the Metroidvania route, a more puzzle-platformer take was refreshing. The combat was sadly extremely flat, and the multi-character setup felt clumsy outside the puzzles that did utilize it in clever ways.

6Ph5Vdh.png

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed

Like Torna: The Golden Country was for XB2, this has been a really fun, short, and sweet side game to the main course. Unlike Torna, it didn't suffer from pacing issues, though the story still ended a bit abruptly.

I really like what they did here. Bringing back the Collectopaedia was an unexpected move, but a welcome one. The battle system iterates on the main game's one once again in a meaningful way, and manages to make it more enjoyable yet again. Shoutout to the Black Mountains area for being fun to traverse and explore with its verticality.

1) The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5)
2) The Last of Us Part 1 - Left Behind DLC (PS5)

3) God of War (PS2)

This game is great. Excellent combat, fun puzzles, intricate level design, a great setting, and a compelling revenge story all make for a good video game. Kratos really isn’t much of a character at all, especially compared to his current, bearded self, but it’s good to see the beginnings of this legendary character.

Can’t wait to play the sequel!

Alright, I suck at these kind of things so let's see for how long I can keep up. Anyway, first game is already done:

1. Pikmin 1 (challenge run)
My second play through. I challenged myself to only use 1 type of Pikmin per day. It was fun using types for things they were not meant to be used for. The only real challenge was getting the Libra (that took me 30 minutes...). Somehow I still managed to beat my first play through with regards to number of days needed, surviving pikmin and perished pikmin😅. So I'm tempted to do another run.
2. We <3 Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie
To be fair, I buy these games for the soundtrack and the wacky times rather than the gameplay, but that might be the case for most. Still the level variety felt way better than the original. Some levels, like the racetrack where you could roll up the spectators and eventually even the competitors and the gingerbread house, were really creative and memorable. I can see myself replaying those levels and going back to it for the extras.

God of war Tooie: Really a testament to how much non gameplay factors can improve upon a game. On a gameplay level this game is pretty much identical to its predecessor, but through improved presentation and story the game shoots up like 2 points. Compared to the first game where you would spend half the game in one location fighting the same enemies and doing the same kinds of puzzles, having this game constantly push you through new areas with new enemies, bosses, and characters is a massive breath of fresh air. And goodness the game looks so much better then the first, I was kinda awestruck at times. 8.5/10, cannot wait for 3

God of war Tooie: Really a testament to how much non gameplay factors can improve upon a game. On a gameplay level this game is pretty much identical to its predecessor, but through improved presentation and story the game shoots up like 2 points. Compared to the first game where you would spend half the game in one location fighting the same enemies and doing the same kinds of puzzles, having this game constantly push you through new areas with new enemies, bosses, and characters is a massive breath of fresh air. And goodness the game looks so much better then the first, I was kinda awestruck at times. 8.5/10, cannot wait for 3
lol, i guess i’m not the only one playing the retro GoW games!

lol, i guess i’m not the only one playing the retro GoW games!
I guess not LOL. Also, in your god of war review you mentioned how Kratos isn’t much of a character, and I never felt that way. Even if he is far more brutish than his current counterpart, I feel like they do a great job conveying the conflict of Kratos through his face and voice

Hi everybody. Even though I am a multiplatform gamer (I own all of them), I have declared this to be a Nintendo year in my house so I plan to be more active here relative to the other forums I frequent (mostly Resetera).

I upgraded to the OLED switch and got a Nitrodeck so playing Switch games is now a dream. I recently finished Gris, Final Fantasy 12, Resident Evil 0, Portal and Hades in 2023. I am currently playing Mario Wonder with my wife and kids and then Tears of the Kingdom on my own time.

I am trying to focus on my Switch backlog so I can be ready to go for the new system which I will definitely be there at launch for. I've been gaming since the NES and SNES and I have purchased every Nintendo system at launch since I became an adult (and had my own money) so I've been there for Wii, Wii U and Switch.

It should be a fun year of gaming but I am hoping this thread can keep me focused. I am a 40 year old high school teacher who is married and has two kids so I don't have all the time in the world but I can usually complete between 10 and 20 games a year depending on how large they are. I'd love to complete a little more than that but we'll see.

I am a 40 year old high school teacher who is married and has two kids so I don't have all the time in the world but I can usually complete between 10 and 20 games a year depending on how large they are. I'd love to complete a little more than that but we'll see.
If you are focusing on Nintendo games you should be able to beat a few more than average. Nintendo games can be played portably and are usually shorter then average with a focus on quality over quantity (or length in this case)

I guess not LOL. Also, in your god of war review you mentioned how Kratos isn’t much of a character, and I never felt that way. Even if he is far more brutish than his current counterpart, I feel like they do a great job conveying the conflict of Kratos through his face and voice
I see what you’re saying, and perhaps I was a bit harsh saying he’s not much of a character. He definitely has emotions - mostly rage, regret, and despair. He’s not just a burning tornado of fury.

2024 Ranking
  1. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge
  2. Worldless
  3. Moonscars
  4. Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma
  5. Blasphemous2
  6. Unworthy
  7. HunterX: Codename T
  8. HunterX
  9. Gravity Circuit
  10. Akane
  11. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
  12. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
  13. Deflector
  14. Risk of Rain
  15. Panzer Dragoon
  16. Minoria
  17. Death's Gambit
  18. Grime

2024 Reviews
Worldless
Amazing Metroidvania with incredible level design and awesome, very imaginative and clever combat which mixes turns and real-time actions with a very satisfying combo system. It's got 0 fat, goes straight to the point and every element of the game is used to the fullest, which is more impressive as the combat system is constantly growing in depth and complexity until the very last moment of the game.

Exploration is very well done, with a very creative map system that helps make it even better. You'll be using the map a lot to try to find your way around and discover connections between the different areas or power-up locations. It will be very confusing at the beginning, but once it clicks it's really engaging.

Combat is exceptional and the enemy-absorbtion system is highly imaginative: You can just kill enemies to keep moving forward, but they'll leave a marker behind so you can fight them again. However, if you absorb an enemy instead, you'll get a skill point to unlock more attacks. This system is genius as it intrinsically ties game and enemy progression with your own, while also rewarding you for putting the time into learning how to absorb each enemy. And this last piece of the puzzle is another genius stroke, as absorbing enemies is much harder than just killing them and often involves using most of your moveset, learning the enemy attack patterns and truly understanding the best action to perform at any moment. This way, you are given the chance to master your existing moveset before expanding it. A lot of games just allow you to rapidly unlock a dozen moves, and you end using just a couple of them because you don't have time to learn how all of them work before a new one is unlocked. This wasn't a problem in Worldless thanks to the enemy absorption mechanic.

Overall, the game is a small indie-Metrodvania with superb art, intelligent level design, amazing combat and mind-blowing support mechanics. I love every aspect of this game and can't find any dark spots in it, a truly well-rounded game with some outstanding components.

Moonscars
Moonscars is Unworthy but done by 3 people instead of one: The game reminded me a lot of Unworthy, but everything is done a little better, with a bigger scope and improved result. It's a 2D soulsvania with heavy emphasis on combat a high difficulty.

The artstyle is amazing, using pixel art in a way that makes it look like a painting, using dull colors to provide a somber atmosphere with very well used highlights of red here and there in important elements. It meshes incredibly well with gameplay, using blue and red FX for the enemy tells so it's always easy to know what's happening in the middle of a brawl with several enemies. The animations and composition are SUPERB, I mean just look at this:

Music plays a secondary role by providing an ambient layer and coming to the front in boss fights. There are some neat tricks like the music dying rising in volume as you approach the peak of the castle, but overall it's just there in a subtle way.

Combat is amazing: Very deliberate and relying a lot on parries. I guess you could do without them, but I found it much harder to beat, or just survive to, certain enemies by dashing. You can attack, use a special weapon, a charged attack, magic, dash, block, parry, jump and air dash. The whole combat is balanced so all these elements require the others: Attacking refills your special meter, which you can use for magic or to heal. The special weapons are very slow to come out, so you can cancel the start up with a dash and have the attack come out directly after the dash (the game makes a special point of this). Combat uses this moveset to the fullest with the enemy design: Some require magic to make them vulnerable to your attacks, others use attacks that can't be blocked nor parried, other use ranged attacks or fly to stay out of your weapons' range.. .And the level design adds the missing piece, with environmental hazards on walls, ceilings and floors that deal massive damage, but that you can use to your favour if you manage to position the enemies in the right place, which is achieved by a combination of dashing, parries and specially the charged attack, that is amazing to push enemies into a spiked wall and impale them. There will be times where you will do some cool stuff, like using a wall to jump over a charging enemy, air dashing to kill a flying one and then landing with a stomp attack to kill another, just recovering on time to parry the charging enemy again, or dash through it so that it crashes into a spiked wall. Unfortunately, the enemy variety is a bit lacking: It won't be too long until you've seen all enemy types and after that the game will just reuse them time and time again. Even the simplest enemies in the starting areas stay relevant and can kill you if you mess up. The parry windows are expertly tuned, being easy to consistently land parries on all enemies once you learn their timings, but being very easy to miss if you screw your concentration, which the game tries to cause by mixing different enemy types constantly. Still, enemy variety remains a weak point, I think each biome should have introduced a couple of new enemy types to keep things fresh and keep o expanding the combat posibbilities.

There are only a handful of bosses and I found most of them somewhat easy thanks to how easy you can refill your magic meter and heal in the middle of the fight. When you die repeatedly, "moonhunger" will be afflicted and all enemies will become much harder. I think I spent most of the game in this state (you can lift it at save points) and I can only remember one late-game boss which gave me so much trouble that I had to lift moonhunger to beat it, it was a huge difficulty spike in an already hard game.

Level design is pure souls, with a reduced number of savepoints reused with shortcuts. The game causes a lot of dread by forcing you to keep going further and further before unlocking a new shortcut, constantly causing a lot of tension and the corresponding relief when you finally unlock a shortcut. There are often small shortcuts you can unlock along the way, or special combat encounters you only need to clear once, so even if you die before reaching a savepoint you're always making progress. There are no Estus Flasks here, you rely on your magic meter to heal, so it's really easy to recover from a dire situation and find yourself with full HP and magic, which always encourages you to keep pushing forward. A weak spot is how similar all biomes are: The same enemy cast is used in all of them and the areas do very little to differentiate form each other. There is one area that uses big cog wheels to move around as a main mechanic, making you switch their direction to unlock the way forward, but apart of that the rest of the areas fall into a blur as they're mostly a castle-like setting with the same enemies over and over. Even in the "cog level" the cogs are sparse and one-off things and the moment-to-moment gameplay remains the same as in the other levels. It doesn't help either that your moveset remains unchanged for most of the game: You can unlock new magic spells and special weapons, but they're always available since the beginning of the game. The only real upgrades to your basic moveset (air dash and super dash) come either very early or very late in the game, and the special dash is very situational and can't be used properly in combat encounters. I think it should have taken a page from Unworthy, with how it introduced a new exclusive level mechanic, player weapon and related enemies in every area.

There is a bit of clunkyness in the normal movement, specially because there is a bit of cooldown after every dash by design so you can't spam dashes in combat (that's why parrying is a better option, trying to dash through everything will get you killed most times). There are also some glitches specially when going through moving platforms, or when trying to climb some walls. Also, you can climb to some platforms that look waaaay out of reach by pressing up and there is no coyote time at all. In fact, the platform borders end sooner than you expect, so it's very easy to fall down when you're trying to jump form the border of a platform, something which is required some times through the game. The special dash takes some time to come out, a bit to react to a jump input and a lot to stop, so it's a bit unwieldy and completely useless in combat. At least it's an option to quickly backtrack through empty horizontal corridors, which is something I think all Metroidvanias MUST provide: It's really frustrating to just sit down and watch your character slowly walking through the same corridor for the 10th time. At times, the game reminded me of Dead Cells and I was repeating a lot of the same inputs: Downward stomps to fall through holes quickly, followed by dashes and air dashes to traverse horizontally...but it reminded me of Dead Cells because in that game movement is incredibly fluid, but in Moonscars there's this constant clunkyness which makes it a bit rough.

Also, there were a couple of instances where the fps went down HARD. It's not something usual and I'd say it was restricted to a couple specific encounters, but there was one which caused the worst dips I've ever seen, and I've been gaming since before the NES era, when game-slowdown was sometimes a mechanic you used when there were too many bullets on screen for example. In one encounter, the game froze for a full second repeatedly: It was the first time I've really felt like I was watching a slideshow. I had to cheese that encounter badly to be able to get through, as it seemed to be caused by having several of one enemy type on screen at the same time. It's a bit weird as I think this same enemy combination is also present in other parts of the game without showing any problems at all, so there must be something else. Still, just some isolated episodes so nothing too bad.

The story is cryptic like in all soul-likes, using the trope of the "amnesiac" protagonist, but in this case it's easy to understand the better part of it (you will probably still need a wiki to get all the details, though). There are a couple of VERY cool twists in the story, this is probably one of the souls-like stories I've enjoyed the most. The game has some side quests that, in the style of souls, are very obtuse and can lock you out of some for a playthrough or force to chose between 2. I've never liked this staple of the Souls games, I prefer if I can just go back and complete everything I miss in a single playthrough, rather than having to fully replay the game again to complete a missable sidequest....sometimes you even end up missing stuff that you don't even know is there, or you forget to do a step in a quest and, bad luck, you need to start a new game from the start. In any way, the story as a whole was well told and it's a rare instance where a souls-game gets a good balance between keeping the mistery and giving you enough information to follow along the story. This balance is what allows the game to pull these couple of plot-twists which, again, were very cool.

At the same time, some of the basic mechanics are incredibly convoluted: Well, they're not too complex once you understand them, but the game does everything on it's hand to make them much harder to get with the way it presents them. Clay rites, moonhunger, pendants, items, special weapons and their buffs, spite buffs...there are a lot of original mechanics that could've been presented in a much better way to grasp. This is the part of souls-likes that I dislike, how game design is often impacted negatively because being cryptic and mysterious and putting the lore before everything is a priority for these types of games. You will get them as you play, or ignore them for most of the game like I did and by the time you want to get into them they may have run out of real usefulness.

Overall, I enjoyed the game A LOT. I was tempted to start a new playthrough right away, but in the end it was missing some little details for me to jump the gun and I already have a couple of games in my list. Highly recommended if you like challenging games with great artstyle and hard combat.

Blasphemous 2
I liked the first one a lot, but it was a bit rough in some spots. I also missed a lot mobility upgrades, which hurt traversal a lot, specially when you were backtracking and hunting for secrets. The sequel fixes all of this, though I think that it takes too much to start giving you significant upgrades. The game is a much more polished version of the first one: The Penitent One feels awesome to control and thanks to god there are no longer insta-kill traps, though this time around with wall jumps, double jumps and aerial dashes it's easy to recover from any platforming mistake.

Combat is very good, but I feel like the daggers were a bit weak in comparison to the other weapons: Them not being able to stun enemies is a huge disadvantage and they have no sizeable advantage to make up for it. They should've been the only weapon that could parry and give some other utility to the sword, as it feels like the sword is just a much better version of the daggers. Even though they were the weapon that I chose at the start, I ended up using them the least once I unlocked the rest, Also, the weapon special meters are depleted whenever you switch weapons: This just limits your options and discourages switching weapons and combat variety: You either restrict yourself to one weapon so you can fill the meter and use it, or you completely disregard the special moves and just switch weapons. Anyway, these are just small nitpicks as combat is great, with special mention to the bosses which are very well balanced.

Level design is exceptionally good, with some of the levels being similar to Zelda dungeons, requiring you to solve dungeon-wide puzzles to open the path forward. I like how each weapon has different environmental puzzles and how the map uses them, so your path through the game will be different depending on your starting weapon. This must have been really hard to design for and it's worth it, as it's something that will definitely make me replay the game to see how it changes with a different weapon. On the bad side, I feel like locations sort of blend together: Even though most of them have a distinguishing factor (the fountains, the sunken palace, the church...) in the end they're mostly castles/churches/palaces. I'm missing some stronger theming for each area. For example, in Blasphemous 1 I will never forget Jondo: The concept of a huge bell sunk into the ground was amazingly well realized and the level design reinforced and elevated the concept with its verticality, but I can't think of a similar mix of theming and design in any of 2's areas. It's the same thing that happens to me with Souls games: So many castle-like areas end up blending into one.

I also miss a bit of the weirdness of 1: There are a couple of surprising NPCs, but bosses and enemies are not very original: A lot of them are just humans with a sword and a simple gimmick. Afilaor was great, as a spanish guy myself I found the take on this figure (that still exists today) brilliant: It has it's characteristic tone and it fights using knives, which makes all the sense in the world as it's a guy who works sharpening knives. But the rest not so much: Orospina could've been some kind of spider-like monster and use very different mechanics to reinforce the threading theme, or Odón could've been some aquatic monster or have some cool uses of salt instead of a guy in armor that splashes water. On the other hand, the combats were awesome and having humanoid bosses allows you to use the regular moveset in these fights as well: I like parrying a lot, so it's very disappointing when bosses are weird monsters that don't support this mechanic and I have to completely change my playstyle just for them. Being able to keep playing like I want instead of being forced to fight in a completly different way was great :)

I'm just putting this below Worldless because it's a much bigger and more complex game, but that makes it have some rough spots, while Worldless has a much more limited scope and that helps it nail every aspect. Also, I'm not a fan of the convoluted Souls-like narrative and sidequests and I preffer the laser-focus, gameplay-first, minimal-story.with-no-text approach of Worldless. When I play a game I want to spend my time PLAYING it, not in a menu reading paragraph after paragraph. I value a lot more and I think it reaches the player in a much more impactful way when the game tells its story through gameplay, by making the player play through the important events rather than by explaining them in a cutscene or worst, in a small text hidden in an item description. Same with the sidequests: You can design your items, locations and characters to share some kind of motiff so I can intrinsically relate them, instead of just giving me a random ring which was once property of someone because whatever. I also think that it's a design-clutch, as it's much easier to design a random item and give it any desired functionality or story through an arbitrary background-text, than to design something that will communicate it's intent/use/relations just by looking at it. Whenever a game gives me a handful of sand, or a patch of blood-stained cloth, or a vial of demonic tears I just end up not using any items at all. I'll beat the game without knowing what most of them are as I just don't want to go into an inventory to read stuff.

Anyway, the game is great so don't let my complaints deceive you: Most of them are directed to the wider souls-like genre and not just to this game. I enjoyed Blasphemous 2 a lot and I think it's a great game, with superb combat, great exploration and amazing level design and setting.

Unworthy
I loved this when it came out and thought it was the best implementation of 2D Dark Souls back at the time, miles better than Salt and Sanctuary. This game took a minimalistic approach, extracting just the core of the DS formula and implemented it in 2D, unlike S&S which just did everything DS did but in 2D, with little regard about what made sense to port and what didn't. So I just started playing after so many years and it's even better than I remember. This is a masterclass in game design, everything has a purpose and is masterfully executed. The game is hard and is constantly trying to destroy you, but there are clever tells to help you triumph and they feel awesome when you manage to identify them and use to easily get through a challenge that seemed terrifying at first. I'm blazing through it and having an absolute blast.

Final update:
Not much to add: Awesome combat, great ambient, great exploration...The only thing I didn't like were the missable, convoluted secrets that force you to go through the whole game again in NG+ to get them, or weird stuff like the dungeon that uses the system time (it should've used an in-game timer instead). I loved how the final boss absolutely trashed me when I tried to fight it with a bow and keeping away, but in my second attempt using the sword and trying to stay close at all times I obliterated it without having to heal but once. It was a good summary of the whole game: It would constantly present you with insurmountable challenges at first, but which would become passable and even "easy" once you experimented enough and found a good weapon and strategy to use. Still, I found that the game dragged a bit towards the end, the gauntlets weren't as great as the hammer or bow, so I think it needed some new cool upgrade to keep the momentum going into the final areas.

HunterX
I've been playing this last week and finished it in about 12 hours. It's a nice 2D Soulsvania with an almost late PS2-era look and demanding combat. Visually the game lacks coherence in general: You can see the enemies in different styles and qualities. The levels are also very simple visually: Hollow boxes with a texture or a repeated model like statues or columns. But it's nothing too bad and once you get past that, the game is really good.

The combat system starts like a 2D souls-lite, as enemies hit hard and your dashes are restricted with stamina, but soon you start unlocking more movement abbilities, combos, magic and special attacks, and the combat ends up turning into something similar to the excellent Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. Combat is the main activity of the game and is extremely well done: The character is very responsive, there are many different playstyles you can adopt, like relying on ranged attacks with magic, focusing on parries and criticals, using long damaging combos...And they're not exclusive, you can combine them at every moment and flow from one to the other...though it's true that you can favour one more than the others with the way in which you level up your character. Weapons and magic can be upgraded, but I never felt the need for it and it was better to wait for the endgame to just level up the strongest weapon/magic I could find, as the currency for that is the same to level up your character, so investing in a weapon and then abandoning it for a stronger one would've been a waste.

Enemy design is really good: Every enemy has their own tactics and attacks and I loved learning their timings for parries. Some enemies will fly in the air, and shoot projectiles others will roll behind you and charge you, others will jump backwards and then leap towards you...There is a lot of variety in enemy behaviours and this keeps the normal combat fresh and engaging until the end of the game as new enemies are introduced in every new biome you explore. Animations are very good, to the point that a lot of times you'll be able to correctly infer the timing of an enemy attack the first time you see them. All enemies hit like a truck and ever at the end of the game, after levelling my HP quite a bit, I was still getting 2-shotted by the late-level enemies and bosses. Bosses are the highlight, with many different attacks and special moves. As the end of the game approached, the boss fights became a burst of DPS: They could kill me in 2 hits, but I also had a lot of tools to deal a ton of damage, so I would just get in their face, unleash all my skills, try to parry or evade everything they threw at me and the fight would be over in 20 to 30 very intense seconds (or sooner, if I messed up and died :p). You can also fight in a more relaxed way, keep your distance and attack more leisurely, but for me it was a big plus that you can fight them in this extremely aggressive style. BTW, bosses (and the game in general) are hard, but apart of 2 of them I took them all down in 4-5 attempts in average. The ones that required more attempts weren't excessively hard either. This is where their design shines; As you learn their patterns you start fighting them more aggressively, so instead of trying to evade their attacks you start parrying, attacking more, which allows you to recharge your special moves faster...It quickly snowballs and you end up having these cool fights exchanging attacks with the boss at a high rate.

Level design is 100% 2D souls, with few checkpoints that are reused through shortcuts. There aren't really any secrets and whenever you find a chest that you can't get to the map automatically marks it for you. There are also map markers, but there's only one type so you can't really use them to provide any information. They were pretty much useless as chests were already marked and if instead you wanted to mark an impassable obstacle, the map already does that by painting the room partially so you know there are parts where you haven't been. Apart of that there's not much exploration: Just find a new area, open all shortcuts, beat the boss and proceed to the next area. Sometimes you'll find an upgrade so you can backtrack a bit to open some pending chests and open the main way forward. So there's some exploration and backtracking, but not much. What I liked is that many areas have some combat puzzles or riddles and you need to explore the area to find the hints to solve them, it was a very clever and original way of asking you to explore the areas and using the key-lock design without doing simple stuff like "find the red key for the red door" (Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, I'm looking at you).

In general a very pleasant surprise: This game won't win any awards but it's a very solid Metroidvania and something you will enjoy if you want a challenging game with fast paced, demanding combat. There's a sequel (HunterX: Codename T) which I will surely check out in the future as well :)

Gravity Circuit
A Mega Man clone with modern design and focus on melee combat and traversal. Movement is awesome, very responsive with many different options: Wall jumps, hookshot, double jump, air dashes, slides...The levels are very engaging, but the difficulty varies a lot and depends on the order in which you take on the levels: I made the mistake of selecting one of the hardest levels & bosses at the beginning and it took me a lot of time to get through it, but then the game quickly got much easier as the rest of the levels and bosses were significantly easier by design and my character was stronger with more HP and more abilities. It reached the point where I beat the last 3 or 4 regular bosses on my first try (that's half of them!). It's a pity because I enjoyed much more the previous fights were I was weaker and I really had to learnt all of the boss attacks and find counters for them, in contrast to how I had enough HP and could deal enough damage with the special moves to tank through the last bosses.

Level design is great, classic Mega Man with Shovel Knight-esque secret challenges hidden around the main path. I think the secrets are a bit too evident; I was able to find all secrets on my first journey through each level without having to return to them or resort to a guide. The levels also work great if you try to rush through them and the many movement options you have allow for cool and varied parkour sequences.

At the game's final stage, you have your usual rematch with the 8 normal bosses with a twist: There is a drone that can copy their attacks and that will randomly select each of them. Once you beat the drone, you're put into a simplified fight with the corresponding boss in it's final phase and, if you win, you jump straight back to the drone fight and continue with the next boss. To save progress you need to beat 2 bosses without dying, that will remove them from the drone pool. However, if you beat 3 but die in the 4th, only the first 2 will be removed from the pool (that is, bosses go in pairs). I like this system, between the drone part and the pair system it was much better than the classic Mega Man rematches.

The final boss is a huge difficulty spike and I'm sure there will be many people that get stuck on it and drop the game. I loved it as I felt it was tough but fair, but if you don't like banging your head against a wall I can understand this boss being too much. It has a first fight with 2 phases, then a final fight with the true final boss with 3 phases, and you have to repeat all 5 phases every time you fail. I didn't like that it made me change my playstyle too much: I hadn't used the hookshot in combat much through the game, but it's incredibly powerful in this fight so I ended up abusing it.

Overall, the game's great and if you're into classic Mega Man / Zero games you'll absolutely love this.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
I liked this so much when it came out, but I wanted to replay it to see if it still holds up and to check if I may have been too harsh in my review of Minoria. Just played for a little less than an hour yesterday and so far it's as good as I remembered.

Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
Just started playing it after Unworthy. I have very high hopes in this one after falling in love last year with Touhou Luna Nights from the same developer. The pixel art and animations are precious and the Ikaruga-style combat system seems very interesting, though the healing mechanic allowed me to easily sort of cheese the first bosses. I didn't like that it resorted too much to text boxes to explain all the basics. It also looks a bit linear, but we'll see.

Update 1:
I'm a bit over 60% of the map discovered. The pixel art and animations are truly fantastic, this game's a visual treat. Music is also amazing. The combat system seems interesting at first, but I feel like it's not working completely: You have 2 elements (wind and fire); Attacking with one powers up the other up to level 3. Being in level 3 heals you. While in fire mode you can absorb fire attacks to replenish your magic meter (same with wind). Getting hit makes you lose 1 level of your active element. When fighting regular enemies, they fall too soon if you're in level 3, but the game becomes a lot harder if you're below this level. This quickly spirals because as soon as you take one hit, the game becomes much harder and with every other hit, you deal less and less damage. IE, cruising when you're at max level is "easy", but if you make a mistake the game stacks penalties against your favour.

There is a weakness/resistance system with enemies, but it has a couple of problems: First, it's shown with some dice numbers on the bottom of the screen in a very weird an unnecessarily complex way. Second, only some enemies really take advantage of the element system, but it's nothing too complex as once you factor in level geometry or other enemies it can easily become a mess. Third, apart from fire and wind there are a lot of other elements you can use with magic, but most of the time it's just better to use the regular elements + your current magic (magic seems a bit OP) even if the enemy is not specially weak to it. Bossfights are good, but it's very easy to cheese them. If you get hit, just switch to your other element that is still at level 3, run away and heal, then go back to attack. With the bow and magic it's easy to keep your distance and attack minimizing risk. I'm beating almost all bosses on my first try this way and I'm not really needing to understand their attack patterns.

The combat system is good on theory, but I feel like there's some missing piece to make it click in practice.

Also, there are almost no differences between both elements movement-wise. Wind can hover and fire can make an invincible (sometimes?) dash, but you won't be using these skills too often (specially the dash). Same with the Symphony of the Night-y back-dash, it's almost useless. They tried to make both elements play differently but that would wreck the combat system, so in the end the differences became minimal and insignificant.

Exploration is a bit simple as well, you're mostly exploring linear paths with not too many secrets. The paths are often blocked by color locks that disappear when you kill a boss and hit the corresponding switch, but I feel like this could've been communicated better. Same with a puzzle that required getting 4 or 5 spirit keys: As I collected the keys I had no idea what they were for, until I stumbled into a room and they suddenly interacted with a device on the wall and opened the way forward. It felt very random, I couldn't understand the relationship between the keys and the device, specially because each key seemed to be for a specific door and not for a global puzzle. Apart of the double jump and the slide-dash, there doesn't seem to be any other ability-gates and everything seems to rely on these color locks and special doors. It's a it underwhelming for a Metroidvania.

So overall I'm enjoying the game, but when comparing it with Touhou Luna Nights, I feel like the combat has taken a step back in order to allow for the RPG elements, a bigger map and more Metroidvania-y elements, but these aspects haven't been realized enough to compensate for the loss of TLNs amazing combat systems.

BTW, the game lacks Coyote-time and it feels awful until you get accustomed to it and unlock the double jump. It's specially bad because a lot of jumps require you to jump from the very last pixel in the platform so they're easy to miss. Note that this is a Metroidvania, not a platformer, so you'll have to repeat some of these jumps a lot of times as you backtrack through some screens. They should've added Coyote-time and given more wiggle rooms to jumps.

Final update:
Wrapped up the game, I feel like I blazed through it. The game is very linear, so you won't use a lot of time getting lost and finding the right path. In fact the game is divided in chapters and, even if the whole map is connected, you rarely have to return to a previous area, except for some optional pickups. The combat system also favours that you steamroll over everything when you're fully powered up (and conversely, it completely destroys you in a blink if you're not at max power). Bosses are very easy to cheese thanks to you begin able to infinitely heal yourself and having enough movement skills to be able to run away and safely heal or fight from a distance at any moment. I think I beat 90% of all bosses on my first try :( I also didn't have to make a lot of hunting for secrets, I was at 97% of map completion without doing anything special.

Overall, nice game, there was nothing "bad" with it, but I'm a bit disappointed after how good Touhou Luna Nights: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth expands on the Castlevania elements by reducing the gameplay system focus that TLN had and, in my opinion, it loses more than it gains.

BTW there is also a boss rush mode which I didn't even try because the last-to-final boss is actually a boss rush of everyone in the game so...

Risk of Rain
Bought this on impulse as it was just 0.99€ in the eshop. Nice little roguelite, but it didn't trap me too much. The game feels either too easy in the lower difficulty, or impossible on normal (except with some characters) and sometimes I felt that the only way to survive was cheesing it hard. I felt like my success depended way too much on luck: If I can breeze through the levels quickly, finding the teleport early and getting enough upgrades on the way then I could have a good run; Otherwise there was little I could do. I prefer when games depend more on player ability, but for 0.99€ I'm not going to complain too much :)

Minoria
I loved Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight but I didn't like the way Minoria looked so I never got it. Instead of the gorgeous pixel art of RUtM and the smooth animations, the game uses very 3D characters and very simple animations. At first I thought it was done using cardboard-style 2D animation with sprites, which often ends up looking void of life and with no impact at all, but recently I found in an interview that it all was in fact 3D. The same effect takes place though; The artist just relies on the interpolation provided by the software to create the in-betweens of the animation and foregoes the basics, like easing and squash-stretch, resulting in a very lacklusting result. But it's not just the animation, the artstyle itself is miles below what the sprites in RUtM achieved, the design was miles better there. And to top it off, movement is also a bit clunky: It looks like the hitbox for the MC's feet is just a couple of pixels, which will make you miss the most simple jumps more than once. The jump physics don't feel right at all, so when you add the weak animation and hitbox shenanigans it feels bad to control and this is THE main mechanic of the game, the one that you'll constantly be using while exploring the world. The level design itself is not very good either; Platform distances and enemy placement don't allow for a good flow of movement. Overall, the game feel is way off.

Combat is also very clunky: The forced recovery after dodging and the input buffering don't always work as intended. Getting damaged by enemy hitboxes that are not attacking after rolling through them feels really bad every time. Having charge moves be consumable is not fun: You already have to charge them, there's no need to put another restriction on them. This only makes me not use them as I always save them for a boss, so I ignore them for 99% of the rest of the game. Parrying breaks the flow of combat, it shouldn't go into such a long counter attack. It should also have more cooldown as you can just spam it a lot of times. Bosses feel very simple as well. At times it looks like the game wants to go into DMC territory with juggling and long combos, but it just lacks the tools for that and the hit reactions and poor animations make it look too clunky. Overall the combat's not bad, but I wouldn't say it's too good either.

Enemy design is not good either, some of them become hard to see with the backgrounds and it took me until the 3rd or 4th slime until I could make up it's shape. Apart of that, they all suffer from the same animation shortcomings as the MC.

I also think that the levelling system is busted: I just went through and early area and suddenly enemies are taking more hits to die. And it's not 1 or 2 more hits: Instead of dying in one counter they now require 3 or 4 and instead of dying with a simple combo they now require a very long one with juggling and everything. This is a very bad design decision for a Metroidvania: The 4th time I go through the same area I don't want to take more time to fight enemies that I've already defeated several times, instead I want to feel stronger or have new tools that allow me to blaze through those. This is making traversing the world a chore. The macro-design is not good either, with branches in the levels that require you to backtrack just tor each an unexplored dead-end. The rewards you find are often not worthy: I don't care about the lore or story (more about this later) and the many magic powers you get are useless; You get very few uses of them so you just save them for the bosses and end up never forgetting about them and never using them.

The game is too talkative, after a little while I just started skipping everything and ignoring all lore pieces I found. The story beats are really poor, I remember that just after beating a boss, a shady character interrupts a conversation to handle some berries out of nowhere, which turns into a very forced piece of dialog, just so the game has an excuse to poison you and put you into the jail area. If the game is going to be so talkative, with many conversations and cutscenes, it should at least be done properly, but the moment it feels a bit amateur and even childish.

The map is horrible: You can see it by holding a button but that doesn't pause the game nor allow you to scroll through it, so once it grows and parts of it go outside the screen, tough luck. You can't put markers on the map or anything, it's very limited. It's the most barebones, feature-lacking map I've found in any game that I can think of in the last decade.

Music is nothing special either. Sound effects are very strange, there are some enemies in the cells area that make a strange roar that is really loud and out of place with everything else.

I don't really understand what happened, because RUtM nailed all of these aspects: It had amazing ambience, the story was in the background but interesting, the movement was great, combat felt awesome, the artstyle was great, animations were superb...Maybe changing from a pure 2D to a 3D environment impacted game development too much. Like I said, there are several aspects that RUtM did really well and that are in turn very lacklusting in Minoria, it looks like the game's been done by different people.

I got the double jump upgrade and have escaped the cell area, I don't think I'm even halfway through the game. I left some unexplored parts in the cell area but I wont go back there until it's absolutely necessary or I unlock fast travel, which I wish I do soon because the map's getting too big and traversal isn't very fun. I'll keep going forward some more, but it's becoming a bit of a chore.

Update:
So I finally decided to drop this. The levelling system is busted: At one point, enemies started one-shotting me and things I could easily kill before would now require many more hits. The enemy variety didn't change, so I was effectively fighting the same enemies since the start of the game, but they now take a lot more time to die and can kill me much more easily. It looks as if levelling my character made them level up much more. As the game goes on, I'm doing less damage and taking more, I can't really understand what the purpose of the levelling system is.

Bosses just double down on this problem: They have very simple movesets, take a while to kill and can one shot you, so you end up in pretty boring fights where it's easy to die. The counter move won't work against bosses and they have many moves without wind-up, so the only way to fight them is to dodge in advance. So bosses end up being a repetition of hit-hit-hit-dodge. You don't need to learn any patterns or think of any clever methods to beat them or evade any powerful attack they may throw at you. I've beaten most bosses in 1 or 2 tries and can't remember any of them, they really fail to leave an impression.

The game is a mix of non-linear areas linked linearly: You uncover an area, explore it and find the required keys to continue, beat the boss and move on to the next area. There is no interconnectivity between new and old areas, and there's really no need to return to old areas either, you just move along to the next one and forget the old ones. The areas themselves are designed very poorly: They're clearly planned to be traversed in one very specific direction, but due to the many shortcuts it's very easy to take a wrong turn and end up going through the area in the opposite direction. This has the effect that when you enter a room, the enemies will be facing the other way. The platforms and everything are clearly intended to be navigated from the other side, so you end up going through a clunky room where the challenge the devs had intended just fails. It also feels like the designers didn't consider that at some points you'd have some improved movement options like double jumps and air dashes and failed to account for them.

Also, enemies respawn when you leave the screen, Mega Man style. All of this, along with there being no fast travelling options, made exploration really tedious and combat not fun at all. So I decided I've had enough and decided to drop the game without finishing it. I don't recommend this one and it's been a huge disappointment after the excellent memory I have of Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight. I'm now extremely wary of getting Moonlight Farewell.

Grime
I haven't finished it yet, but I've played enough to start giving some impressions. However, instead of writing about the game itself, there's something much more important that needs to be addressed first: THE SWITCH PORT IS HORRIBLE.
  • There is stuttering.
  • Lighting glitches every couple of steps.
  • Menus are incredibly slow.
  • Game freezes when loading areas and even shows the loading percentage with a big fat number in the middle of the screen. This looks like a debugging gizmo the devs forgot to remove for release.
  • When the game freezes during loading, it creates an invisible wall that doesn't allow you to go into the new area until it loads completely. The wildest thing is that these loading areas are always in the same places and they haven't given 2 thoughts about their placement: One is next to a savepoint on the way to a boss, so you'll go through it several times every until you beat the boss, suffering the freeze every time. Another one is in the middle of a platforming section in which you need to use an air dash to get through. The loading area will catch you mid-dash, stop you mid-air and once it finishes it will make you fall to the spikes below. This is the first time I've seen something like this in a released game.
  • And the big one: THERE IS A LOT OF INPUT LAG. Platforming is very hard because the character will take a lot of time to respond to your inputs. You have to anticipate enemy attacks and sometimes guess because the parry will take it's sweet time to come out. It feels like you're underwater. Slow weapons are unusable and fast ones are very frustrating. I ended up using an average weapon like it was a slow one. It's like if in Dark Souls you have a straight sword with it's normal stats but with the slow moveset of a two-handed greatsword, so you have to play really carefully. So I attack much less than I normally would, I have to parry or evade everything on advance, I have to play very defensively and leave a lot of space with the enemies (specially bosses) so I can have enough time to react to special attacks that require jumping...
I could live with most of these, but the input lag is really impacting how the game plays.

I wish I hadn't bought it on release, now I have to cross my fingers and wait for a patch, but I've read that a lot of these problems have been there for years in PS4 and they have never been addressed.

Update:
I finished my first playthrough including all DLC content, but I'll withhold my opinion on this game until a patch is released. The state of the game is sorrowful with many bugs and glitches that SEVERELY impact gameplay and, even if I like the game behind them so much, I can only recommend people to stay away from it until the devs come forward and do the right thing to leave the game in the state it should've been at release.

Akane
I got this on the eshop for less than 1€ and at that price it's a no-brainer. It's a top-down 2D action roguelike in which you're trapped in a square arena and you must kill the enemies that are constantly spawning. The whole game revolves around the combat system, which is simple but has some layers to master:
  • Your main method of attack is with your katana, this fills the special meter, grants you ammo for your gun but also consumes stamina.
  • You can also use a firearm, but you can't move while aiming and it consumes ammo.
  • You can use special moves to kill many enemies at once and dash to the other side of the arena, but they consume the special meter.
There are other moves like dashing, blocking...but the core of the system is switching from using your katana to your firearm so you control your stamina and remaining ammo at every moment, while filling in your special meter. There is a combo counter with very strict timing that is always pushing you to stay active and jump from kill to kill to keep your combo alive (the special meter will also deplete with time, so the only way to keep it growing is to keep your combo going). Oh and everything, including yourself, dies in 1-hit. The action will soon become frenetic as you try to survive while mixing in all your techniques, it's a very well balanced system and works amazingly well.

There are some special enemies like snipers, big enemies with lots of HP (I think it's the only one who takes more than 1 hit to kill) and a cyber ninja. There is also one boss that appears every 100 kills and every time he adds a new move to his arsenal. I think the run ends when you kill him 3 times, but I haven't managed to do so yet.

There are also permanent upgrades like special charged moves, different firearms...And the way to unlock them is by completing optional missions like killing 3 tanks in a single game, reaching a +50 combo, killing X enemies with your firearm...

All of these pieces will keep you going back for "one more try" time and time again. This is one of those games that it's very hard to put down.

The music is awesome, I think there are like 8 tracks and all of them are good enough to listen to them even outside of the game.

The game is lots of fun, but it has very little content. The optional missions will soon skyrocket from beginner to expert difficulty, requiring you stuff like killing 100 enemies with 100% katana accuracy. There aren't many upgrades either, and I think that the first firearm and katanas that you unlock are the best ones by far, making the already light content seem even lighter. There aren't any other biomes, bosses or special enemies apart from the basic 3, so you will soon see "everything" the game has to offer.

Overall, this is a very fun and addictive game, but I think it would've been even better with some more content and specially with some more optional missions to bridge the gap between a beginner and someone who has completely mastered the game. Still, for just 1€ it's an instant buy!

Hunter X: Codename T
The sequel to Hunter X. Not much to say about this one as it's very, very similar to the first game. There is a new map and a new main character and story, but it's all incredibly similar to the first one. I think that the parry worked better in the first game, this one seems to account for when you release the block button instead of when you press it, but I'm not completely sure about it, I never managed to nail it down like I did with the first game.

If you liked Hunter X you'll enjoy this one as well, but I'd suggest leaving some time between them due to how similar they are.

Deflector
Small roguelite with a combat system based on directional parries. I didn't play it a lot, it's very enjoyable but at the same time it didn't grip me completely. I still intend to go back to it and play it some more in the future. There are a lot of good ideas in the game but there's something missing to make it really addictive.

Panzer Dragoon
I had bought this a year ago when it was heavily discounted, as it was one of those legacy IPs that I had never played. I didn't like it much, I felt like I was getting through the game without really learning anything or having to improve. There are records to entice you to replay the levels and master them, but when the standard gameplay isn't hooking me I can't find the motivation to invest myself into that. After 4 or 5 levels I ended up dropping it and I don't intend to return to it.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma
I love action-heavy, gameplay-based games, DMC and Bayonetta are 2 of my favourite series but I still had only played the first Ninja Gaiden. I got this as part of the Master Collection and it's an amazing game :) I like the high-octane, demanding gameplay and I prefer the more linear approach of the game compared to the first one, this one feels more streamlined and gets straight to the point. I have a couple of complaints though:
  1. First, some bosses are crap (specially the big ones like the Statue of Liberty or the final phase of the last boss). They aren't too difficult but they felt very, very janky.
  2. Second: A lot of times I was progressing through the game without doing great. After every encounter you recover most of your health and it was almost always more than enough to get through the following encounter, and the next one, and so on. I wish the game were more punishing so it forced me to engage with the combat system more as I was mashing and going through with some basic techniques a lot of the time.
  3. Third: This one applies to the whole series. The movelist is incredibly bloated, showing every sub-string of a combo like a proper combo with its' own entry. Imagine if Bayonetta displayed the "PPKP" combo as 4 different entries like "P", "PP", "PPK" and "PPKP"; The movelist would become unwieldy. NG does just that and it makes learning each weapons' moves much harder than it needs to be.
Anyway, these are not very big problems. When I finished the game I almost went through a second lap in a higher difficulty, but ultimately decided to give NG3RE a try first. I may still come back to this one, I really enjoyed it a lot and it deserves all the praise it gets.

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge
I'm currently going through this one and I think it's my favourite at the moment. It has the linear structure of NG2, but encounters are HARD and I find myself having to give it my all and develop new strategies to be able to beat each of them. I love the Steel on Bone mechanic where you can counter enemy grabs and turn them into a series of instant enemy executions that also gives you health back, it's a really cool mechanic and it's very well done. However, it's also a bit unclear, as most of the times I'll get it by dashing through an enemy and then attacking with a heavy hit, but others dashing won't even save me from the enemy grab (like against sorcerers) and other times it just triggered with a heavy attack without having to dash first. Looking online it doesn't seem to be completely clear how to make it work 100% of the time.
The game lacks tutorials to explain some basic stuff and QTEs are just trial and error of pushing buttons until you find the right combination.
Some encounters tend to go on for too long by just spawning more and more enemies.
It also has the same flaw as the rest of the games: The movelist is huge, but the game does nothing to teach you how it's supposed to be played. This is not like DMC or Bayonetta: Here enemies are VERY aggressive and they won't allow you to pull out even a quick 3-hit combo in peace: The moment you start hitting an enemy another one runs behind you to attack you from your blind side. Enemies will constantly attack from outside the view so you constantly need to keep a map of the battlefield on your head, which is incredibly hard as enemies can and will spawn outside of your view. In the end this forces you to learn each encounter and how the enemy waves will spawn, positioning yourself as you kill enemies so that you're on an advantageous place when a new wave jumps in.
It's difficult to remember and consult all the moves in the heat of battle (again, movelist = BAD) so a lot of times I end up falling into the same reduced moveset, but with time I'm incorporating more and more techniques in my arsenal like shurikens, Guillotine Throws, enemy jumps, counters and such. Still, the game should have tutorialized this in some way. I know that this is the third entry in the series, but I think that no game has bothered to do it properly. In a way NG3 is the best one in this regard, as the high difficulty of some encounters will force you to try new tactics and use new moves to beat specific enemy types, so you will improve and add more moves to your belt in an organic way.

Overall I'm loving it :)

Death's Gambit
It's a soulslike that focuses on the parts of Souls games I like the least: Bloated inventories with cryptic descriptions, over-importance of builds and stats, never ending menus...Animation is very lacking as it's done using 2D sprites with interpolation to be able to animate all the possible armors and such, but it results in lifeless movement which makes combat impactless and weak. I felt this specially hard after coming from Moonscars, which doesn't have frantic combat, but thanks to the incredible animations it feels much more fluid and powerful than DG. I got tried pretty soon of all the cutscenes, tutorials, many shallow mechanics and lackluster combat and dropped it after little more than 1 hour.
If you like stuff like Salt & Sanctuary you'll probably like this too, but for someone more interested in pure gameplay it's not my piece of cake.

Playlist:
  1. Tevi
  2. Mighty GunVolt Burst
  3. Furi
  4. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
  5. Cocoon
  6. Islets
  7. Blasphemous 1
  8. Afterimage
  9. MegaMan ZX series
  10. Infernax
  11. Lies of P
  12. Sol Cresta
  13. GunGrave Gore
  14. Dredge
  15. Bayonetta Origins
  16. Metroid Prime Remake
  17. Rollerdrome
  18. Momodora: Moonlight Farewell

2023 Ranking
  1. TotK: GOAT. I've already gushed about it in the OT and anywhere else where I've had the chance...just a landmark title.
  2. Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  3. Pikmin 1
  4. Super Mario Wonder
  5. Pikmin 4
  6. Touhou Luna Nights
  7. Sifu
  8. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
  9. Pikmin 2
  10. Tunic
  11. DMC: Devil May Cry
  12. Hi-Fi Rush
  13. Young Souls
  14. Hades
  15. Valiant Hearts
Link to last post of 2023: https://famiboards.com/threads/the-2023-completed-games-thread.4940/post-751982[/spoiler]

Last edited:
Portal 2 (Switch)

This is pretty long so I’ll put it in a spoiler.

A spur of the moment play through after nope’ing out of Alundra again. I just rolled credits on Portal last week so I was going to wait to play the sequel. GLaD I didn’t.

No game is perfect. That said, Valve got really close here. Some of the puzzles were a little obtuse, requiring, for example, specific angles to see a portal-able wall that was far away. End of list. That was the only (kind of) negative, and it wasn’t even that bad. Not even docking points for that.

While not a perfect game, Portal 2 is a perfect sequel. It did everything right in that regard.
  1. Expanded on the mechanics of the original.
  2. Introduced new mechanics that both made sense within the world and was expertly presented to the player (I never felt as if I didn’t know how a new mechanic was supposed to work).
  3. Effectively referenced the original narratively and made it essential primarily because GLaDOS’s relationship with Chell/the player wouldn’t work or hit as hard without playing Portal first.
  4. Expanded the world in a way that was natural and felt earned.
  5. Featured much better writing which was already good in Portal.
I rushed through my previous Portal post so I didn’t mention what a great job Ellen McLain did as GLaDOS. Allow me to fix that here: She’s even better in Portal 2. GLaDOS was an effective antagonist in Portal but an all-time antagonist in Portal 2 thanks in large part to McLain’s voice work, particularly the scene in which GLaDOS is reactivated as well as the entire subsequent chapter. Potato GLaDOS (PotatOS) was, unfortunately, spoiled for me like 12 years ago. Regardless, it still hit when it happened, and Portal 2 is probably the funniest game I’ve ever played. GLaDOS has most of the best lines. You monster.

Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons put in great work as well. That’s definitely underselling their performances.

I haven’t played co-op though I renewed Nintendo Switch Online and plan to play through it with a friend.

My only disappointment is I’ll never be able to experience Portal 2 for the first time ever again. It’s that good. And again, I typically don’t play first-person games due to headaches/nausea which, by the way, Portal 2 also improved. I got through it completely unscathed. Pretty much the only thing Portal has over its sequel is Still Alive > Want You Gone*.

Still good though.

TL;DR: I don’t normally rate on a scale. If I did, 10/10. What a treat.

Okay then, first post of the year. Sprucing my entries up a little with a header image (I don't have skill or talent to do any more) and moving from 10 point scale to 5.

1) Old Man's Journey (Switch)
pQCyiSX.png

It's a lovely looking game and the soundtrack is mostly very pleasant and chill, a vibe that goes with the world you're travelling through but that's about all the positives I took from this. From the flashbacks we see, I feel this is meant to be a tale of regret but nothing in the simplistic puzzles, environments or interactions with the world really convey that - it also doesn't help that the more I learned about the old man's past, the less I cared about him.

2) Frog Detective: The Entire Mystery (Xbox Series S)
WS3EAf7.jpg

One game or three? To avoid larger posts let's go with one.

Humour based games live or die based on their writing and Frog Detective was completely on point for me. I'd played the first two games in the series a while back but only played the last part of the trilogy as part of this edition and I think it actually does benefit quite a bit from being a single package with multiple cases (rather than three independent experiences). A charming, cosy game that knows it's absurd, but doesn't get insufferably wacky with it.

Portal 2 (Switch)

This is pretty long so I’ll put it in a spoiler.

A spur of the moment play through after nope’ing out of Alundra again. I just rolled credits on Portal last week so I was going to wait to play the sequel. GLaD I didn’t.

No game is perfect. That said, Valve got really close here. Some of the puzzles were a little obtuse, requiring, for example, specific angles to see a portal-able wall that was far away. End of list. That was the only (kind of) negative, and it wasn’t even that bad. Not even docking points for that.

While not a perfect game, Portal 2 is a perfect sequel. It did everything right in that regard.
  1. Expanded on the mechanics of the original.
  2. Introduced new mechanics that both made sense within the world and was expertly presented to the player (I never felt as if I didn’t know how a new mechanic was supposed to work).
  3. Effectively referenced the original narratively and made it essential primarily because GLaDOS’s relationship with Chell/the player wouldn’t work or hit as hard without playing Portal first.
  4. Expanded the world in a way that was natural and felt earned.
  5. Featured much better writing which was already good in Portal.
I rushed through my previous Portal post so I didn’t mention what a great job Ellen McLain did as GLaDOS. Allow me to fix that here: She’s even better in Portal 2. GLaDOS was an effective antagonist in Portal but an all-time antagonist in Portal 2 thanks in large part to McLain’s voice work, particularly the scene in which GLaDOS is reactivated as well as the entire subsequent chapter. Potato GLaDOS (PotatOS) was, unfortunately, spoiled for me like 12 years ago. Regardless, it still hit when it happened, and Portal 2 is probably the funniest game I’ve ever played. GLaDOS has most of the best lines. You monster.

Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons put in great work as well. That’s definitely underselling their performances.

I haven’t played co-op though I renewed Nintendo Switch Online and plan to play through it with a friend.

My only disappointment is I’ll never be able to experience Portal 2 for the first time ever again. It’s that good. And again, I typically don’t play first-person games due to headaches/nausea which, by the way, Portal 2 also improved. I got through it completely unscathed. Pretty much the only thing Portal has over its sequel is Still Alive > Want You Gone*.

Still good though.

Nice review. Portal 2 is pretty much one of my favorite games of all time and it hasn't aged a day imo. Some of those late puzzles were definitely a bit challenging figuring out the exact angle.

I noticed the 2023 version of this thread about halfway through the year last year and figured I didn't want to jump in halfway through, so excited to be making my first entry in this series with the 2024 thread! I finished 66 games last year which is my highest single year number, so I'm looking forward to seeing if I can make even further progress this year.

First completed game of 2024 for me is:

1. Final Fantasy VIII (Switch)
hero

I've been playing through all the Final Fantasy games for the first time ever, which began mid last year when the Pixel Remasters came to console. Having never played VIII before I had heard pretty mixed things about it but was still excited to give it a go, and I ended up really liking it! The junction system took me a bit to wrap my head around and funnily enough I don't think I really used it to its full potential during my entire playthrough until the last play session; I'd ended up in the final castle and had beaten the eight bosses you needed to regain your abilities prior to facing Ultimecia, but then once I tried to fight her, I failed on the second stage as Griever cast Shockwave Pulsar and completely drained my entire party's HP. Initially I thought, okay, I'm at the end of the game, I don't really have an old save to go back and grind more magic to junction to power myself up, and I am ready to be through with this fight and game at this point, so maybe I'll give it a few more tries and if I really can't do it, I'll just throw the boost mode on that refills your HP and activates limit breaks in battle if it comes down to that. Turns out that only works if you survive the attack with at least 1 HP - so if Shockwave Pulsar wipes your party completely, even that boost won't help!

After doing some research online, looking at various walkthroughs, turns out that there was a hidden boss, Omega Weapon, that I hadn't encountered yet; and apparently I could Draw Ultima, Meteor, Holy, and Flare from that boss. So what I ended up doing was popping the triple speed boost and the HP boost on and constantly activating that boss fight, entering combat, drawing as many of each of those four spells as I could, and then fleeing before the boss cast a spell that would wipe my party out. It sounds ridiculous to type it out and probably brute forcing it like I did isn't the 'right' way to play the game, but as someone who didn't really touch the card game at all and who was one step away from finishing the game, I felt like it was my only course of action! After doing that and re-junctioning the more powerful magic to my party's HP and defensive stats, I was able to juuuust squeak by Ultimecia's final form. The entire final boss fight was really interesting with a change in each phase, and her being able to knock away random magic made it stressful but engaging at the same time.

Overall I enjoyed this game quite a bit more by the end than I thought I would initially; I do think that without the boosts I mentioned, along with being able to turn off random encounters (my party's average level was probably less than 25 because of the enemies leveling up with you thing), I wouldn't have had nearly as good of a time with it as I did. The story was interesting, got wild near the end as they all tend to, and I liked the gameplay even though I know I didn't do nearly as much side content in this one as I did in FF VII. I would welcome a remake if they got around to it! Excited to move on and play FF IX but definitely going to try and play a few shorter games in between - I think my final time with VIII was around 31 hours all in.

3. Super Mario Bros (NES)

New years itch to scratch is another playthrough of this classic. It never gets old; the music and sounds are charming, and it doesn't take long for my muscle memory to attune to the physics. Just like riding a bike.

If anyone has any documentary or interview-like things to share about the making of, or the legacy of, this game I'd love to watch/read it.

Last edited:
[*]Final Fantasy VIII (Switch)
I think my final time with VIII was around 31 hours all in.

Wow you blazed through that game, glad you enjoyed it- I always liked the junction system too, the mechanics were fun. I'll never replay it due to the story and characters, but I wish we could've had more of its inventiveness in later gameplay.

3. Super Mario Bros (NES)

New years itch to scratch is another playthrough of this classic. It never gets old; the music and sounds are charming, and it doesn't take long for my muscle memory to attune to the physics. Just like riding a bike.
The muscle memory never dies for this one, so true! Its physics are eternal hahaha

Definitely going to be checking this out, it sounds so oblique and alien and awesome!

Hi everybody.
Welcome, glad to have ye!

Portal 2 (Switch)

Yeah, it's a one of a kind, mind bending, inventive, creative experience, I'm glad you found it just as enthralling!

Wow you blazed through that game, glad you enjoyed it- I always liked the junction system too, the mechanics were fun. I'll never replay it due to the story and characters, but I wish we could've had more of its inventiveness in later gameplay.
I think my time was so low because I didn't do much side content, I had random encounters turned off almost always unless I was searching for specific magic to draw to junction, and made frequent use of the triple speed boost on that version!

I'm not really the type to play these "audiovisual experience" type games but I did enjoy Rytmos for what it was. I'd probably say that I liked learning about certain music genres more than the actual puzzles (and they even made a nice website that gives you more info than the game plus links to Spotify playlists) but it's not because the puzzles are bad, just a bit simplistic. There are a handful that combine multiple elements but it's clearly not meant to stump players for too long. For the ~2 hours it took me to finish it I was vibing with it.

2. Alan Wake II
  3. Rytmos

I can finally post this, first game beaten in 2024:

Soul Hackers 2

AKA the most mid Atlus release I’ve ever played. I know some posters wanted this on Switch, but if you ever thought “man we are missing out on SH 2!”, well, don’t.

Its not bad. It just exists. Purely based on its gameplay and combat mechanics it’s fine. Its snappy, works well. Fusing demons remains being fun. If you look at the rest, it’s just mediocre. Level design is boring, quests are very mundane, story isn’t great either. When you’ve seen a lot of great Atlus release, it’s rough to see these poking out as well.

6.5/10

3. Shantae (Nintendo Switch) - 1/5/24
I started with Pirate's Curse on Wii U almost 9 years ago and played the other Shantae games after that, but never beat the GBC original. I was off and on this one the past couple of months but I got through it and had fun overall. The sprite work and music are excellent!

I recommend others to try it if you've played the others in the series.

Also I chose to play the GBC version instead of the GBA enhanced version just because I like the darker color palette more. I know I missed out on a bonus thing or two, no worries.

4. Shantae Risky's Revenge Director's Cut (Nintendo Switch) - 1/8/24

I decided to roll right into the 2nd Shantae since I'm in the mood. Going from the GBC original to the sequel, It's easy to see that they improved on just about everything but I'm a little disappointed with the genie transformations in this one. They aren't bad at all! I just miss the belly dance move inputs making the cool 8-bit jingles lol.

For streamlining the games going forward and replayability they absolutely made the right move but I was a sucker for just doing that sometimes :p

and now I've played all the mainline Shantae games! My ranking of them is probably Pirate's Curse > Seven Sirens > Half-Genie Hero > OG Shantae > Shantae Risky's Revenge. Looking forward to Shantae Advance later this year hopefully :)

1. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon [ PS5 ]

"Let's see how far they can fly on borrowed wings"

fire-writing.gif

Nice review. Portal 2 is pretty much one of my favorite games of all time and it hasn't aged a day imo. Some of those late puzzles were definitely a bit challenging figuring out the exact angle.
Thanks! And I agree. I’ll have to reevaluate my all-time list. Portal 2 is such a special experience. It’s short yet as long as it needed to be without wearing out its welcome. A touchstone that reminded me of how good video games can be. And for a game that released in 2011, Portal 2 still feels modern. Visually, it still looks good too. I only spent $7.20 on the collection. I would not have been disappointed if I paid full price.

I definitely needed help on some puzzles and how to break a few of Wheatley’s monitors so I could hear the hidden dialogue. With all games, I’ll give it the ol’ college try. If I can’t figure something out after a while, straight to The YouTube. I also never felt that the puzzles in Portal and Portal 2 were unfair.

One last thing: I appreciated the really ingenious way the game delivered exposition, namely in the old abandoned testing areas (i.e. the Cave Johnson recordings). I’m not a fan of long cutscenes so any game that respects my time enough to allow me to keep playing while it feeds me supplementary information will always get a shout out.

Last edited:
Blasphemous 2
I liked the first one a lot, but it was a bit rough in some spots. I also missed a lot mobility upgrades, which hurt traversal a lot, specially when you were backtracking and hunting for secrets. The sequel fixes all of this, though I think that it takes too long to start giving you significant upgrades. The game is a much more polished version of the first one: The Penitent One feels awesome to control and thanks to god there are no longer insta-kill traps, though this time around with wall jumps, double jumps and aerial dashes it's easy to recover from any platforming mistake.

Combat is very good, but I feel like the daggers were a bit weak in comparison to the other weapons: Them not being able to stun enemies is a huge disadvantage and they have no sizeable advantage to make up for it. They should've been the only weapon that could parry and give some other utility to the sword, as it feels like the sword is just a much better version of the daggers. Even though they were the weapon that I chose at the start, I ended up using them the least once I unlocked the rest, Also, the weapon special meters are depleted whenever you switch weapons: This just limits your options and discourages switching weapons and combat variety: You either restrict yourself to one weapon so you can fill the meter and use it, or you completely disregard the special moves and just switch weapons. Anyway, these are just small nitpicks as combat is great, with special mention to the bosses which are very well balanced.

Level design is exceptionally good, with some of the levels being similar to Zelda dungeons, requiring you to solve dungeon-wide puzzles to open the path forward. I like how each weapon has different environmental puzzles and how the map uses them, so your path through the game will be different depending on your starting weapon. This must have been really hard to design for and it's worth it, as it's something that will definitely make me replay the game to see how it changes with a different weapon. On the bad side, I feel like locations sort of blend together: Even though most of them have a distinguishing factor (the fountains, the sunken palace, the church...) in the end they're mostly castles/churches/palaces. I'm missing some stronger theming for each area. For example, in Blasphemous 1 I will never forget Jondo: The concept of a huge bell sunk into the ground was amazingly well realized and the level design reinforced and elevated the concept with its verticality, but I can't think of a similar mix of theming and design in any of 2's areas. It's the same thing that happens to me with Souls games: So many castle-like areas end up blending into one.

I also miss a bit of the weirdness of 1: There are a couple of surprising NPCs, but bosses and enemies are not very original: A lot of them are just humans with a sword and a simple gimmick. Afilaor was great, as a spanish guy myself I found the take on this figure (that still exists today) brilliant: It has it's characteristic tone and it fights using knives, which makes all the sense in the world as it's a guy who works sharpening knives. But the rest not so much: Orospina could've been some kind of spider-like monster and use very different mechanics to reinforce the threading theme, or Odón could've been some aquatic monster or have some cool uses of salt instead of a guy in armor that splashes water. On the other hand, the combats were awesome and having humanoid bosses allows you to use the regular moveset in these fights as well: I like parrying a lot, so it's very disappointing when bosses are weird monsters that don't support this mechanic and I have to completely change my playstyle just for them. Being able to keep playing like I want instead of being forced to fight in a completly different way was great :)

I'm just putting this below Worldless because it's a much bigger and more complex game, but that makes it have some rough spots, while Worldless has a much more limited scope and that helps it nail every aspect. Also, I'm not a fan of the convoluted Souls-like narrative and sidequests and I preffer the laser-focus, gameplay-first, minimal-story.with-no-text approach of Worldless. When I play a game I want to spend my time PLAYING it, not in a menu reading paragraph after paragraph. I value a lot more and I think it reaches the player in a much more impactful way when the game tells its story through gameplay, by making the player play through the important events rather than by explaining them in a cutscene or worst, in a small text hidden in an item description. Same with the sidequests: You can design your items, locations and characters to share some kind of motiff so I can intrinsically relate them, instead of just giving me a random ring which was once property of someone because whatever. I also think that it's a design-clutch, as it's much easier to design a random item and give it any desired functionality or story through an arbitrary background-text, than to design something that will communicate it's intent/use/relations just by looking at it. Whenever a game gives me a handful of sand, or a patch of blood-stained cloth, or a vial of demonic tears I just end up not using any items at all. I'll beat the game without knowing what most of them are as I just don't want to go into an inventory to read stuff.

Anyway, the game is great so don't let my complaints deceive you: Most of them are directed to the wider souls-like genre and not just to this game. I enjoyed Blasphemous 2 a lot and I think it's a great game, with superb combat, great exploration and amazing level design and setting.

Link to main post: https://famiboards.com/threads/the-2024-completed-games-thread.8498/post-947076

Last edited:
Second completed game of 2024 for me is:

2. Mega Man 7 (Switch)
33beffd09a1b020d1187c6b4b264014a.jpg

After Final Fantasy VIII, I wanted to play a few shorter games from my backlog, particularly ones of different genres to keep from burning out - had started the original Mega Man games via the Legacy Collection on Switch last year, and 7 was next up on that list. I enjoyed my time with 1-6 enough to continue going, and this was the first non-NES entry I'd played, so was interested to see how things changed...and I didn't have a very good time with it, unfortunately! I love the look of it, the music is sweet, but the gameplay didn't feel 100% right to me - I think Mega Man feels slower in this one, I kept running into issues with trying to jump but hitting my head on ceilings I didn't think I should be hitting, and had a heck of a time trying to time my jumps to bounce off of springs in a few levels. Another problem that popped up for me is that I was so used to being able to rewind in 1 - 6's Legacy Collection versions, as well as make frequent save states, that it shocked me to find out that wasn't an option in 7 (and assuming through 10 as well). I try not to lean on them too hard if I can help it, but in lieu of wasting my limited free time trying to make it back to the same spots in these games, I definitely used them right before bosses in 1 - 6 to save time. This game did introduce a checkpoint system which was helpful to be sure, but yeah.

Also, I goofed near the end - I had finished the Wily stage where you have to fight the eight previous robot masters, beaten the first half of the Dr. Wily fight, lost to the second phase several times, so figured I would save at the checkpoint, hop out, visit the store, and stock up on E tanks to help me over the hump...but when I did that and jumped back in, it put me right back at the start where I'd have to fight the robot masters again - and like, that wouldn't have taken THAT much more time, but I was so ready to be done with the game at that point and knew that the second phase is pretty infamous for being super difficult online that I just broke down and watched the ending on YouTube. Which I do also feel kind of bad about, but at that point it was like 1:30 AM and I really needed to just go to sleep 🙃

Maybe my problem is more with the Legacy Collection rather than Mega Man 7 in particular, because I know there's inherent input lag from what I've read online about these versions, so I feel kind of bad that I didn't really enjoy my four hours with this game; when I go to play 8 later down the road, I'm going to consider playing it another way - maybe via an emulator where I can save state?

1. Final Fantasy VIII (Switch) - 01/06/24
  2. Mega Man 7 (Switch) - 01/08/24

Largely didn't care for Pizza Tower until the second half when it became decent fun, aside from that horrendous "stealth" level. It's the kind of game that I recognize is pretty impressive by watching P rank videos but mainly appreciate from afar due to not really liking the way the wallrun and the rolls are incorporated in the game. I was usually just happy with A rank. I did like the bosses though, especially the final one. And the music slaps. Shame about the developer being a turbo bigot so I was glad I was able to play it on friend's account.

2. Alan Wake II
  3. Rytmos
  4. Pizza Tower

2. Metroid Fusion (NSO)

I can't remember the last time I played this one, but I'm glad I took the time to revisit. Top tier Metroid (Fusion, Super, Dread, Zero Mission, Prime and Prime 2) really is quite like nothing else for me.

There's a bunch I could nitpick here, and after the immensely enjoyable way Samus controls in Dread, this does feel restrictive by comparison. But this is made 20 years ago, on GBA, and so much is a triumph. It's fun to think how the SA-X concept might be revisited in future; we've obviously had the less scripted and more mobile EMMI, but as AI advances hunter type enemies might not need to be restricted to zones of the map. It would be one way for the series to work in the bounty hunters again; imagine an emergent game of cat and mouse against a rival hunter, exploring to find upgrades so you can turn the tables on your foe.

Anyway, fabulous game. I'm at 60 stars in Mario 64, and going to call it a day once I've got 70 and beat Bowser. Fun week of retro gaming so far.

1. Super Mario RPG (Switch)
2. Metroid Fusion (NSO)

Last edited:
aFotQGi.png

3. Sol Cresta

After having spent a combined 85 hours to complete Xenoblade 3 and Future Redeemed, I needed a bit of a palate cleanser and settled on this one. And while I enjoyed it overall, there are some weird design decisions that tainted my experience. The art style makes it hard to parse at times which objects are in the background and which ones have collision, which has lead to some irritating moments here and there. For such a short game, it has more repeated bosses than I would like (which is kind of whatever since you can dismiss that with the game being created in the spirit of classic arcade games), and the final escape sequence is just incredibly hard to parse with all the screen shaking going on. All of which is a bit of a shame, because I enjoyed the gameplay mechanics on a fundamental level, but the execution ultimately feels a bit off.

Since it is as short as it is, I might give it another go soon to see whether it was mostly a problem of my unfamiliarity with the genre, or those points end up still standing.

2. Metroid Fusion (NSO)

I can't remember the last time I played this one, but I'm glad I took the time to revisit. Top tier Metroid (Fusion, Super, Dread, Zero Mission, Prime and Prime 2) really is quite like nothing else for me.

There's a bunch I could nitpick here, and after the immensely enjoyable way Samus controls in Dread, this does feel restrictive by comparison. But this is made 20 years ago, on GBA, and so much is a triumph. It's fun to think how the SA-X concept might be revisited in future; we've obviously had the less scripted and more mobile EMMI, but as AI advances hunter type enemies might not need to be restricted to zones of the map. It would be one way for the series to work in the bounty hunters again; imagine an emergent game of cat and mouse against a rival hunter, exploring to find upgrades so you can turn the tables on your foe.

Anyway, fabulous game. I'm at 60 stars in Mario 64, and going to call it a day once I've got 70 and beat Bowser. Fun week of retro gaming so far.

1. Super Mario RPG (Switch)
2. Metroid Fusion (NSO)
Fusion is so great. It’s got some of the best boss fights in the series, killer music, the game oozes with atmosphere. It’s just like you said - a triumph.

3. Sol Cresta

After having spent a combined 85 hours to complete Xenoblade 3 and Future Redeemed, I needed a bit of a palate cleanser and settled on this one. And while I enjoyed it overall, there are some weird design decisions that tainted my experience. The art style makes it hard to parse at times which objects are in the background and which have collision, which has lead to some irritating moments here and there. For such a short game, it has more repeated bosses than I would like (which is kind of whatever since you can dismiss that with the game being created in the spirit of classic arcade games), and the final escape sequence is just incredibly hard to parse with all the screen shaking going on. All of which is a bit of a shame, because I enjoyed the gameplay mechanics on a fundamental level, but the execution ultimately feels a bit off.

Since it is as short as it is, I might give it another go soon to see whether it was mostly a problem of my unfamiliarity with the genre, or those points end up still standing.

I've always been intrigued by Sol Cresta, on one side the mechanics and Platinum being behind were very enticing to me, but on the other hand I'm not a huge fan of bullet hells. Please keep us updated after your second round!

I’ve finished the first Ace Attorney from the trilogy collection!

Got curious one day and picked it on sale

I liked the characters and how some elements from previous cases show up later

I had some small issues like sometimes I didn’t notice I unlocked new dialogue and went to search for stuff elsewhere, and sometimes seemed like the judge rejected some evidence but the same evidence was brought up in a dialogue a bit later 😅

But overall it was pretty enjoyable and entertaining, time flied

I now want to play through the rest of the trilogy but I might alternate with some other stuff

sometimes seemed like the judge rejected some evidence but the same evidence was brought up in a dialogue a bit later
Classic adventure game shenanigans right there, where you already know what item to use but the game doesn't think it's the right time yet lol

Metroid Fusion (NSO)
Hmm I'm planning to play more retro titles on NSO this year, and I might make Metroid Fusion one of the GBA games I play. Haven't tried it before.

Here we go!

1. Spider Man 2 (PS5)

This is one I didn't manage to finish in 2023, but I'm glad I made it a priority in the new year. Just like Spider Man on PS4, Insomniac did a great job of creating a compelling story and world. Oh, and fighting bad guys as Spider Man is also fun. It did a lot of things better than the PS4 game, which was already quite good to begin with. I'll definitely be following Insomniacs future projects as they come out.

Hmm I'm planning to play more retro titles on NSO this year, and I might make Metroid Fusion one of the GBA games I play. Haven't tried it before.
I’m looking for a Metroid Fusion gif to respond to this but everything I’m finding is a spoiler.

1. Ring Fit Adventure (new game plus plus)

Honestly I’m at the point where I need a new one. I love this game for what it did to get me started on a serious exercise routine, but the limitations of the level reuse are so apparent, even accounting for the fact that this is my third playthrough.

Last edited:
WarioWare Move It: Okay, Smooth moves is my favorite Warioware game, so having a full on sequel was incredible to me when it was announced. Having played it now, the microgames and story is much better, as is the motion control, but the game really falters on how clear the goal of the microgames are. As impressive as it is that the motion controls work so well, I think the game would have been better off if the microgames were more simple. I never had an issue figuring out what to do in previous games, but this game constantly had me failing because I had no idea what to do. I have a feeling that’s why they put in the revive mechanic, which was a nice addition to this game. 7/10, 8/10 on a good day

My 2024 year-in-review
y1CaM6b.gif

05 — Pinball M
One table on the house. “Campaigns” that explore the functionality of a given table in a directed way. Player-run tournaments. Easily being able to rotate the display. Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Sadly…Pinball M doesn’t feel good to play. The way balls play off of each other, especially, feels terrible. Design is lacking too. The Thing, based on one of my favourite films, is such a letdown. The central playfield artwork and little icons look cool, but it’s also just a big empty table! With some more entertaining designs and a performance patch or two on Switch, this might turn itself around a bit. But I don’t think I’ll be there to witness it.

Last edited:
I said i would do it, and i did it

1: Super Mario RPG Remake (Switch)
GDWe0LHWEAAYGzJ

As an european, my story with Super Mario RPG is kind of rocky. The game never grazed our shores, and the only way i had to play was an import rental store that never had this game available - later it was leaked that the dude reserved certain games for his children, like the JAP versions of the DBZ games - wich meant that i was never able to play it until i discovered emulation. Was ZNES the emulator i used to play it? It was my emulator of choice, so it must be it.

Well, in any case, this game never came oficially to Europe until Nintendo released it on the Virtual Console. I never completed it before that because my save got corrupted first in Marrymore and later in Bowser's Castle! I was expecting to have better luck with my Virtual Console save, but guess what: It got corrupted too!

Still, i played enough of the game to be able to judge this version as the remake it is, and let me tell you: This is good shit.

Leave it to Artepiazza to catch the original game's vibes, translate the art style to the current hardware and update the gameplay while keeping it intact. The new additions to the combat make it easier, but are a great help on solving what i think is one of the issues of the original, wich is crowd control, and the triple attacks are a great reward for nailing the timed button presses.

Another thing that has been kept intact is the charm: The chibi art style, simple story with lots of gags, the whole lot of visual humor, most of the animations (Peach's slap is fucking LIT), and the soundtrack, OMG the soundtrack! Yoko Shinomura's work on the whole Mario franchise is timeless.

If i have something to complain about, is the lack of compatibility with the NSO SNES controller. I mean, come on Nintendo, the game plays beautifully with the D-Pad and doesn't require more buttons. Enable those ZL and ZR buttons as Home and Screenshot. Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?

Back
Top Bottom